3It was OK
10.3%
2Disliked it
1.8%
1Hated it
1.8%
Average 4.4
331 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 18, 2013 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh God, Rei and his feels.

Episode was okay I guess. The more cheerful atmosphere gave me some delight. Nice to see the accomplishmenets in the past too. I'm glad Haruka is back to his old self a bit as well.

Sep 18, 2013 8:54 AM

Nov 2007
First question: why did red hair guy suddenly said he is to join relay? Second question: what's the main guy is to red hair guy? Megane guy expressed that he finally felt the joy of relay and being jealousy about red hair guy. The red hair guy seems to be shocked when he heard that the main guy stopped swimming after that time, though. Now he doesn't get confused anymore. Seems like the captain knows about what happened to red hair guy?

Nervous feelings. So they reminded him of how swimming was fun because he had painful experiment (feeling "why he cannot swim well") and had once thought of quitting. So he's in for serious swim, but the captain took him out of relay because he was being alone.

So sad to see that next week is final ep. Sad end card.
tsubasaloverSep 18, 2013 10:03 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 18, 2013 11:09 AM

Dec 2011
AGSJKAHDGKSLSD THIS EP-
Rin opened up some feelings at last// ;_;
The whole group feels more closer now- good job in weaving in Rei's relationship with Rin. Comes off nice and natural.

but then in the end Rin's not going to join the relay-

Ahh next week's the last ep already >_> i wonder how'll they settle this//
Sep 18, 2013 11:31 AM
Dec 2012
Glad Rei asked Rin the questions. I had wanted him to ask him those q. Poor Rin at the end.

Rei has good taste in art. I liked the abstract painting on the wall.
Sep 18, 2013 12:58 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
:o Rin's not going to swim in the relay next week? Oh dear didn't see that coming. The beginning part when Rei and Rin were arguing was kind of too intense for me, especially with that camerawork. But I liked the part where they went to see Rei, and Haru's been talking more and more too. Lol at Haru "losing moisture" XD

It was also nice to finally learn about Rin and what happened at Australia that made him change or see the world differently. I guess he realized that his dream wasn't as easily reachable as it would be :( Last episode already next week too, hopefully Rin can reconcile with everyone at the end.
tingySep 18, 2013 1:02 PM
Sep 18, 2013 1:10 PM

May 2013
Good to see what happened to Rin that made him change. But now he isn't going to swim in the relay. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Sep 18, 2013 1:11 PM

Nov 2012
so rei really was jealous of rin since they always talked about him. but i'm glad the whole swimming team seems so close now c:
and rin won't swim in the relay ;~; so he can't even challenge them now.
last episode next week.. can't believe it's almost over...
Sep 18, 2013 1:20 PM

Aug 2009
C-C-CC-CAN FREE JUST NOT END NEXT WEEK PLEASEE?? T ___ T//CRYING ON FLOOR

loved those heart to hearts T ^ T

and it was nice to see captain put his foot down v///v

random... I BET MAYBE.... If gou were to ask Captain to let Rin be in the relay, he would say yes.. Lmaoo XD

PLEASE DONT END FREEE!!

BE LIKE K ON AND GIVE US A SECOND SEASON AND A MOVIEEEE T A T
Sep 18, 2013 1:23 PM

Aug 2011
I'm choking ahhh god. This episode actually made me cry. Rin ;____;.

∞/5 for this episode, really, what else can I say? It was perfect.
Sep 18, 2013 1:26 PM
Feb 2013
Rin just got a slapping by Rei. 10/10 episode.
Sep 18, 2013 1:26 PM

Feb 2012
matsuoka rin more like pain and saddness
Sep 18, 2013 1:29 PM

Aug 2013
OK... I'm kinda slow. Please help me out...

Rin says, "After moving to Australia, I trained every day and practiced in tournaments. But, I couldn't swim the way I wanted to. The Olympics were completely out of reach. I felt more and more like I was being left behind. I could only wonder. Why was I struggling so much? Why? Ah... It was because I swam in a relay. I ruined myself. That was the conclusion I arrived at."

Why did Rin feel swimming in a relay had ruined him? I don't get it. Maybe I don't understand competitive swimming... Was it just a stupid excuse for his own failures???
Sep 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Jul 2011
Wow, scenes between Rei and Rin were so intense. I loved the moment when Haru is thanking Makoto >///< At last we got explanation for Rin's change.
Rin won't participate in the relay? ;w; I hope he'll apologize to Haru and others at least. But I have a feeling that something will happen and Rin will be able to take part in the relay anyway.
Rin-chan-san, let me hug you.

can't believe that next week's ep will be the last... I'm gonna miss this anime so much.
Sep 18, 2013 1:35 PM

Jun 2012
I wonder how much the Rin x Rei fanart will go up after this week
Sep 18, 2013 1:37 PM
Aug 2011
The intensity went up the roof between Rin and Rei but hey talking or in this case yelling is a way to figure things out if nothing else.
tingy said:
The beginning part when Rei and Rin were arguing was kind of too intense for me, especially with that camerawork.

The camera work and directing was on point, in that scene.

Rin just became too dependent on having a team there with him that would share the same happiness as him/with him.
Not blaming the captain for what he's done at the end but it was still a downer. :/

Glorious MakoHaru bedhair! *_*

goukun said:
matsuoka rin more like pain and saddness

Matsuoka Rin is like the Taichi of Chihayafuru. Same voice too hohohoho.
And now Taichi fans are going to attack me but i'm one too y'all! So let's be friends.
standSep 18, 2013 1:43 PM
Sep 18, 2013 1:40 PM

Aug 2010
Dem feels with the Rin vs Rei scenes were really intense >_<

Haru was on a thanking spree this ep XD

Poor Rin. Just when he got over it he's out :(

Nxt ep will have a lot of feels.
Sep 18, 2013 2:00 PM

Apr 2013
I like the fact we're seeing Haru smile more and more each episode, along with being thankful for his team.

Can't wait to see how this series will wrap up next week!
Sep 18, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
atomic_dawg said:

Rin says, "After moving to Australia, I trained every day and practiced in tournaments. But, I couldn't swim the way I wanted to. The Olympics were completely out of reach. I felt more and more like I was being left behind. I could only wonder. Why was I struggling so much? Why? Ah... It was because I swam in a relay. I ruined myself. That was the conclusion I arrived at."

Why did Rin feel swimming in a relay had ruined him? I don't get it. Maybe I don't understand competitive swimming... Was it just a stupid excuse for his own failures???

Rin was focused on getting to the Olympics and so was going overseas to train in Australia. He wanted to swim the relay as a sort of last memory with his friends, but when he swam the relay he discovered something about working together as a team. There was a feeling present in the relay that was absent in individual swimming. Having discovered that, he unintentionally blunted what was supposed to be his single-minded determination to get to the Olympics.

Now the reality might just be that most of the people on his Australian team were better than him, but swimming solo didn't feel the same after swimming in the relay. He couldn't devote himself to swimming so the gap between him and his peers widened and, realistically, his goal of the Olympics seemed impossible.

It's impossible to know how much of that is true. It could just be the jump up in competition was too much for Rin, but when he tried to pinpoint the moment where he became dissatisfied, he concluded it happened after the relay.
Sep 18, 2013 2:11 PM

Sep 2008
How 'What you think about him?" become "How do you FEEL about Haruka-sempai?" xD
Sep 18, 2013 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
"How do you feel about Haruka-senpai"

*after reading that, I got through my obsessive yaoi fangirl mode shouting out; "OMG HE LOVES HIM DSFDSHJGFS"

But, ignoring that, the first thing I thought about after my fangirling was like; "Damn Rei, you said that so bluntly .-., like, what?"

Anyways, yay! We don't have to see Rin being a dick anymore by the next episode since it's the last.
Sep 18, 2013 2:47 PM

Sep 2008
First talk Rin vs. Rei was hard to watch, but ending...
Rin you are so damn cool! *.*

Why he always have such hard time! ;(
Can't wait to see final episode!
Sep 18, 2013 2:53 PM

Apr 2012
the first part was well done. I'm not a fan of this sappy we're-a-team bs.
u gay
Sep 18, 2013 2:53 PM

Jan 2011
as the episode pass and time closes until the final ep, I'm more and more nervous and I just.... ;A; I don't want this to end!! ;A;

Rin and Rei shouting was just so brrrrrr. gave me chills all over!
Haru smiling over and over again is just super precious and makes me smile and giggle
and not to mention Makoto taking off his swimsuit *Q* and later he in the end.... and Haru confessing to him
akbfkadshfk so many feels~

episode was great, as always
I'll really miss this anime when it ends!
(I wanted the second season since the first episode ended lol)

Sep 18, 2013 2:59 PM

Jul 2012
It's really nice how they're expanding the conflicts. It's not necessarily unexpected, but it's well executed for sure.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Sep 18, 2013 3:15 PM

Apr 2013
The penultimate episode... =(

Feels explosion!!!

More resoultions, alright!

I wished Haruka would have died choking on that cock bread...

Rei is kinda touchy feely as well as Rin. Both are completely out of character which is nice.

Amazing Ending Card...

Cant wait for the last episode...

Still: Mako-HOT-o Tachi-BABY Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~

5/5

Sep 18, 2013 3:15 PM

Dec 2012
I can't believe there's only one episode left.
And wtf Rin is off the relay?
Sep 18, 2013 3:17 PM

Oct 2011
OMG !!!!! My feels for this episode. Rei asked the question and we got the answer. Rin's past once again TwT But OMG at the end!!!!! Nooooo!!!!
Sep 18, 2013 3:22 PM

Jan 2011
Edolass said:
I can't believe there's only one episode left.
And wtf Rin is off the relay?

Omg, yes! T_T
what will Rin do now?!
I'M NOT READY FOR THE NEXT EPISODE! I'M NOT READYYYYY ;A;

Sep 18, 2013 3:24 PM

Jul 2012
How i think it will end:

They gonna swim in relay, win together and then dance and eat mackerel.
Sep 18, 2013 3:25 PM

Feb 2012
Wow the ending was so spot on, so glad the captain took Rin off the team, dude doesn't talk with his teammates at all.

Great episode, can't wait to see season finale next week.
Sep 18, 2013 3:30 PM

Dec 2012
Aw man, I wasn't expecting Rei to be the one to get physical first so that surprised me. I thought Rin would lash out first, which he nearly did, but then stopped himself just in time, which felt like maturity on his part. And then he just lets Rei slam him into the wall and yell at him without really fighting back at first, and it just comes off to me as Rin feeling too tormented and self-loathing to even fight back at that moment. I think in this episode Rin showed a lot more maturity when he explained what happened with Rei and then even encouraged him to do well. And as you would have it, after telling Rei he would bring his game he can't swim in the relay (not that I blame Mikoshiba but)...gahh, major Rin feels everywhere. ;-;

On the plus side, the Iwatobi boys are closer than ever and it was sweet to finally see Haru thanking his friends for all their support, and to see Rei getting all the affirmation he needed.

One more episode and Rin better have a happy ending kdfkhakjsaj
Sep 18, 2013 3:33 PM

Dec 2012
Officially gay4Rei. Nah but seriously

Nice episode, so it turns out Rin was left in the dust in Australia. Can't help but feel for him, although getting taken off the relay was a sound decision on the captain's part. If he doesn't somehow slip his way back in, I wonder if that turn of events will set the grounds for a possible season 2.
Sep 18, 2013 3:51 PM

Jun 2011
The preview made me cry because, I remembered, there's only one episode left.
Sep 18, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2013
CNagy said:
Rin was focused on getting to the Olympics and so was going overseas to train in Australia. He wanted to swim the relay as a sort of last memory with his friends, but when he swam the relay he discovered something about working together as a team. There was a feeling present in the relay that was absent in individual swimming. Having discovered that, he unintentionally blunted what was supposed to be his single-minded determination to get to the Olympics.

Thanks for the reply.
Sep 18, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2011
LittleStar said:
How 'What you think about him?" become "How do you FEEL about Haruka-sempai?" xD

Exactly what I was thinking...almost burst out laughing in the library when they said that XD

PS. Amazing art in the ending card (as usual). But it's even more awesome because that's where I love :) and from where I'm sitting right now, I'm only 20-ish minutes away from the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Haha I wish Rin was sitting there right now so I can't hug him~~
Sep 18, 2013 4:22 PM

Aug 2009
Throughout the Free! anime I've connected with Rei way more than Haru. He started off with uncertainty about everything, which then lead to jealousy of Rin, but he managed to fight his way through his problems. It's so precious to see him smiling and feeling accepted by his teammates, even though he should have realized they already accepted him a long time ago. Rin does leave a heavy pressure on him at the end, but I'm sure Rei will work hard.

Haru feels like a nicer person now. Thanking Makoto and Nagisa were also precious moments, I liked their surprised reactions ^^
Sep 18, 2013 4:34 PM
Dec 2012
That conversation got physical quick.

Why did Rin, give that explanation to Rei? In the flashback when he made that "realization" he was still young. Haru beat him once, then Rin beat him when he came back. Rin then beat him again recently. He didn't really answer the main questions and just dodged them.

How does Free tie up the series? Haru always said he only swam free, and that Rin showed him something amazing. What's the meaning of Free in this series? I say this because the last episode is called " Distant Free! "

Why is Rin asking Haru, what did he see that day? I've been curious this whole time.
Sep 18, 2013 4:40 PM

Apr 2007
Even though this was predictable (Rin failing in Austrailia, Rin not in the relay anymore) I still think it's the best episode yet. That confrontation in the beginning...it was handled really well, so emotional. I'm so glad Rei did that, best chara <3

The preview made me sad though. Only 1 episode left ;____;
Sep 18, 2013 4:54 PM

Jan 2011
Really good emotional episode, Haru giving everyone thanks felt good. Maybe Rin would have turned out different if he had friends like them. Rin passing the baton to Rei so to speak was also nice to see.

1 more episode left, I hope it makes a big splash in our hearts!
sosmetal said:

Why is Rin asking Haru, what did he see that day? I've been curious this whole time.

I think he is referring to how Haru felt when he swam relay.
VioLinkSep 18, 2013 4:57 PM
[center]
Sep 18, 2013 5:16 PM

Dec 2008
After Rin talked all that shit about them getting a chance to see how good he can be and telling Rei not to embarrass his team...turns out he's about to get embarrassed because his mean ass will NOT be swimming in the relay. Serves him right.

I don't want this show to end. Second season, please?
Sep 18, 2013 5:27 PM

Aug 2011
Villetta_Nu said:
After Rin talked all that shit about them getting a chance to see how good he can be and telling Rei not to embarrass his team...turns out he's about to get embarrassed because his mean ass will NOT be swimming in the relay. Serves him right.

Wow okay I'm really curious now, are you ignoring character development/background on purpose? You sound like you have some kind of vendetta against him so what is it (and it's not even this episode it's all of them)?

Personally, I don't think he's embarrassed at all; he's just devastated because he really wanted to participate in the relay and he doesn't get to. He's more disappointed than anything.
Sep 18, 2013 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
Great episode!!!
Sep 18, 2013 6:19 PM

Jan 2011
Too good man! Too freaking good.

But that really was a nice episode and totally didn't expect the end.
Sep 18, 2013 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
Oh my. The preview!!!

I wonder what's going to happen.
One more ep !!! :(
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Sep 18, 2013 6:43 PM

Sep 2012
Rin's not going to join the relay. Poor Rin, I really felt sorry for him.
It was good to see Haru showing his feelings.
Just one more episode! I want a second season

Shojo-chanCat said:
"How do you feel about Haruka-senpai"

*after reading that, I got through my obsessive yaoi fangirl mode shouting out; "OMG HE LOVES HIM DSFDSHJGFS"

THIS ^
This anime always turn on my yaoi fangirl mode
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Sep 18, 2013 7:30 PM

Jul 2012
Pretty solid episode! I liked the scene where they're watching over the big pool. Gave me tons of feels. Last episode will decide if this anime is a 7 or 8/10 for me. Anyway, I felt as if their episode was super gay, even more gay than usual. (this is coming from a non-fujoshi) Especially, the whole angsty RinRei scene, the bedroom MakoHaru scene, the ReiGisa antics... LOL
Sep 18, 2013 7:56 PM

Mar 2011
-As much as I love Rei, he was a bit much in this episode.
-I was nearly moved to tears at all the character development Haru's gone through.
-Rin's suffering is my suffering and until I see him smile from the bottom of this heart, everything about this anime is going to hurt.
Sep 18, 2013 7:59 PM

Oct 2012
1 more episode ;_;

Concentrated on my fav male characters! Best ep for me. Had some Kou too~

Lol Miho gets cut in the middle xD behold the new Akarin

I still think there's more from Rin than he just said to Rei.

Rei's 2moe4me

S2 please!
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Sep 18, 2013 8:27 PM

Dec 2011
That was an intense scene between Rin and Rei. Whoo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2013 9:22 PM

Jan 2011
atomic_dawg said:

I think it was because swimming in a relay you swim with your friends, and he lost that when he went to Australia because he would be alone there. Especially cause he was focusing on the individual races.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.