Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 30, 2016 10:13 AM

Mar 2010
I might use Griffiths speech, but not the equal part since it causes dismay.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 10, 2016 12:01 AM
Aug 2011
Fantastic episode.

I love how it's slowly building up to where Guts' life is looking more tragic than ever and Griffith the complete opposite of that.

Also, it might have just been me, but there was something very Dezaki Osamu-eque about the directing in this episode.
I know that when something feels like that i'm in good company.
Mar 22, 2016 1:34 PM

Mar 2015
I think that may have been the best episode of any anime ever
May 4, 2016 4:00 PM

Apr 2011
I was hoping that I was wrong about Griffith being an 'A' and using everyone as his pawn to achieve his goals.
It is kind of obvious that he's seducing the princess to ascend in his ranks.. (/become king)

poor poor Guts. That must have hurt him so much overhearing what Griffith was telling the princess. But who knows, maybe this is all part of his plan..

I was yelling at the screen watching this episode when Guts' assassination wasn't very ninja-ish, lol. Just kill Count Julius and it's done. But nope he kills the kid cos he's a witness. Then he kills a bunch of other people cos they saw him kill the kid, lol. wth, man.

After all this , this made me love Guts as a character even more , haha.
May 18, 2016 1:51 AM

Apr 2013
Damnnnnn every episode is sooo good and addicting. Love the meaningful relationships and themes of this series so far, damn Guts was savage killing that kid and 10 other people lol nice assassination....
Griffith....
Cant wait to see the next episode. This show brings so much emotion too, also loving the ost.
Jun 23, 2016 1:49 PM
Jul 2014
This episode made me shit bricks, and the foreshadowing is so real, it's also depicting how Guts is turning more and more into the sadistic mercenary in the first episodes.
Jul 2, 2016 11:47 AM

Dec 2015
Oh no, the poor kid...
Griffith's words have made Guts skeptical about their relationship
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 4, 2016 5:41 AM

Dec 2015
First... why using Guts for a secret assassination?

Then... based on what Griffith said, all his army is only made of pawns here to allow him his goal. (social ascension, I suppose) Guts also is listed as someone he can't consider to be a friend since he's just an aimless wanderer. Until here, it's what I had understood except for the Guts part. I was certain he was seeing him almost as an equal. Well, it turns out to be just a stronger pawn.

4/5
Jul 7, 2016 1:57 PM

Sep 2013
When Guts fled into the sewer with an arrow protruding from an open wound in his arm, all i could think was, "Dang, that's gonna get infected!"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 14, 2016 2:41 PM

Jan 2016
Goddammit Griffith you cold hearted bastard. He's finally showing his true colors.

and lmao at Guts turning the assassination job into a fuckin massacre. R.I.P poor little boy
Sep 22, 2016 7:46 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Griffith is finally revealing how evil and scary he is.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Nov 5, 2016 1:12 AM

Mar 2016
Griffith's stare is the best!

I don't know why but i think Guts is going to turn against Griffith really soon.
Nov 10, 2016 10:54 PM

Jun 2015
Sending out Guts in the first place was the questionable decision.

Can't wait for Griffith to be an actual antagonist. What a bitch.
Nov 28, 2016 5:31 PM

Aug 2014
Great episode.
Guts logic is: No one will notice if there is no one to notice.
LOL

Griffith is scary.
Jan 14, 2017 6:34 AM
Dec 2014
fedaykin said:

Griffith's revelations to the princess were interesting as well, in terms of explaining why Griffith went so far to save Guts on all those occasions.

Wait did I miss something? Why did he go so far as to save Guts on all those occasions?
Mar 15, 2017 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Poor kid.
Lol the minister is so shady.
Griffith's stare is creepy but I like it?
Apr 26, 2017 12:12 AM
Dec 2012
Is Griffith a Hawk or a Demon?

Griffith to Guts "We were never friends"
It almost seems they're destined enemies.

I wonder how Guts feels now after killing that innocent child and realizing that hes still not equal to Griffith.
Jun 6, 2017 3:50 AM

Mar 2014
that stare at the end tho
Jul 18, 2017 1:37 AM

Mar 2013
Guts is like the worst assassin ever lmao.

Also did not expect him to ram his sword at the kid though, damn.
Feb 10, 2018 3:21 AM

Oct 2015
This wasn't well translated from Manga to Anime. It's as if Guts killed the boy after seeing him first. In the manga, he only realized it's a boy after stabbing him, because the incident occurs in a much darker place.

I still don't understand why Griffith the dickhead entrusted this to Guts and not Judeau. R.I.P Adonis :(
Feb 24, 2018 11:20 AM

Apr 2017
Disturbing episode. Seems like things will get more serious from now on. Really like the way the story is taking.

TogameCheerio said:
This wasn't well translated from Manga to Anime. It's as if Guts killed the boy after seeing him first. In the manga, he only realized it's a boy after stabbing him, because the incident occurs in a much darker place.

Thanks for this, it's truly important.
Mar 4, 2019 3:29 PM

Dec 2017
I confirm, in the manga Guts didn't know it was the kid. And we can see he feels very bad about it.
Mar 23, 2019 10:53 PM
Oct 2018
Amazing episode holy ass. Rip the kiddo
Apr 29, 2019 3:14 PM

Jul 2016
Another great episode from a great series

This actually might be the best one in a while. Too much tension.

I cried when Guts killed the general's kid. Guts is an incredibly tragic character.

Griffith is the GOAT

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenJul 20, 2019 4:00 PM
Jul 8, 2019 9:07 PM

Jan 2013
Susumu Hirasawa's OST makes this show even better. Guts' theme is perfect...
Jul 20, 2019 7:52 PM
Apr 2016
Insanely tense and thrilling episode. Guts didn't do the best job assassinating, however, I believe Griffith perhaps benefit from the child's death too.
Dec 14, 2019 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
"A life as a martyr to his dream, his God"

Such a great great great episode.. Griffis' speech was amazing, so this is why he loves Guts.. although there was hint of almost his enslavement to his dream.. but why does the scene freeze with Guts walking upto Griffis on stairs? I am curious about it.. does Guts feel like he was giving up his own dream and was beginning to value his friendship with Griffis more than anything? That sketch was very beautiful...poetic..

I loved the sloppy assassination. It revealed some things about Guts that couldn't have been possible through words.. it seems he became a little shaky after seeing Count and his son training, which touched his deepest memories owing to his own relationship with Gambino.. I felt sorry for Guts and the boy. The scene where Guts strikes the boy was intense.. amazing amazing direction.

Griffis' eyes.... oh no.

The 'next episode' is exciting!
removed-userDec 14, 2019 10:24 AM
May 6, 2020 3:29 AM

Aug 2018
Guts really isn't good when it comes to assasinations, suprised none noticed that the same guy who carries big ass sword also used that sword in assasinations.

Well with that being said, the episode was very dark and great, its rare to see children death in anime
Jun 17, 2020 8:53 AM

Apr 2013
Guts might be a great warrior, but he's a really shitty assassin. He didn't even have a plan how to escape after killing his target, did he?
Sep 20, 2020 2:05 AM

Apr 2020
Oh man did I feel bad for Adonis (the kid).

Finally Casca is becoming likeable, i really don't want to hate and am trying really hard.
Griffith has a superiority complex like no other, he is definitely the hier to the throne now.

The Bald Minister got the same Death Gaze, guess it is time for you to go too lol.
I feel slightly bad for Guts.
--AbiSa--
Dec 22, 2020 4:37 PM

May 2018
Griffith is such an unnerving character. Something about him is so off.
Feb 18, 2021 12:16 AM

Apr 2013
Revisiting this episode, it is simply so good. The dialogue, storyboard and soundtrack hits differently, and then the assassination by Guts.. wow it still hurts to see his face for the scenes that follows.
Mar 11, 2021 10:43 AM

Apr 2020
Another episode that joins the "I loved it" group. Holy shit, talk about a bad situation turning worse. Guts didn't have any hesitation when running that kid through, only afterwards.I don't understand why he didn't leave the way he came, but instead thinks it's a better idea to fight his way through all those soldiers.

Then the talk of Griffith about how he only thinks of his true friends as equals... Seems like that assassination, together with that little speech has finally driven the wedge in between Guts & Griffith. I imagine they will slowly drift apart more and more.

I also laughed when he gave Foss the hawk-eye. Lol, can he read minds or something? Or is he just that smart. I'm still wondering what powers the Behelit gives him. It's more than just the devil's luck I believe.

Wow man, Guts killed the kid. I gotta say that I didn't see that one coming, so good job.

Edit: Apparrently in the manga, it's clear that Guts didn't know it was a kid until afterwards. That's quite an important detail, because here it seems like it's quite obvious. There were better ways to direct this scene.

Just show the door going slightly ajar, then a zoom in to Guts rushing for the door, then the sound of a blade cutting flesh... AND THEN show it's the kid. Here, it just looked so predetermined.
JezzmanMar 11, 2021 10:50 AM

Mar 14, 2021 10:19 AM

Dec 2012
Watching as that young boy's life helplessly flickered out has probably been the single most disturbing scene so far. It's the first time I've seen Guts in a bad light, especially since he didn't hesitate at all. It's chilling to see what lengths he seems to be going for Griffith's sake at this point.
May 22, 2021 10:42 AM

Jan 2020
What a brutal and fantastic episode. Easy 5/5 and probably my favorite episode to date.

Guts assassinating everyone like that (including the more innocent ones) hurt but it was so well done and I'm glad he survived in the end. That convo between Griffith and charlotte was super interesting and ahh that smile. Griffith is so interesting and I love it.

Jun 15, 2021 3:52 PM

Jun 2020
LMAO THIS MAN DID NOT JUST KILL A BOY AFTER KILLING HIS FATHER AND THEN TRY COMFORTING HIM 😭😭😭💀💀💀💀💀 yes i fkin understand guts's conditions
Sep 29, 2021 4:51 PM

Jan 2021
No witnesses the kid had to die
Oct 21, 2021 11:59 AM

Jun 2020
Was Ironic to see the Guts Dreaming about the killing after killing Adonis! But I feel the story is gaining the turn, its turning out to be interesting
Oct 21, 2021 12:03 PM

Jun 2020
[quote=propofol message=54165516]Disturbing episode. Seems like things will get more serious from now on. Really like the way the story is taking.

Yep. Even I feel the same here.

Nov 24, 2021 7:16 PM

Jun 2010
Shocking! I like that the poor boy only gasped and wept after Guts stabbed him; a much more stark portrayal of death then him saying anything at all. It's also interesting that after being a snake the entire series Julius is given a modicum of complexity before his death; on chiding from his servant he seems to acknowledge he was being unfair to his son out of his own frustration.

Guts has probably killed hundreds of people but this time he actually feels guilt; this was murder, not a matter of survival. The self-loathing he's striken with was well portrayed in the nightmare he had after falling into the sewer; he feels as evil as the demon which is the only thing he fears and reproaches himself with the murder of his "father" (for the second time!) and even himself. It's no wonder his face looks so worn and empty for the rest of the episode.

I took Griffith's speech to indicate he does not consider Guts his friend; Guts doesn't have a "dream" of his own, after all. The past few years have been the story of him drawing closer and more loyal to Griffith and supporting his dream, whatever it is, but that's exactly what Griffith said meant his soldiers were not his friends. Guts disgracing himself with the murder of that child was only to help Griffith, after all. In giving up his distrustful and lonely life to join the Band of Hawks it seems he was just chasing an illusion.
Dec 20, 2021 11:18 AM
Nov 2020
Despite the kid not having any developement at all, I feel very bad for him. The poor old servant as well who actually cared for them.
Feb 4, 2022 1:03 AM
Apr 2021
Poor kid 😢😢😢 Guts should´ve been more careful...
Griffith doesn´t find Guts as a friend-Guts must be dissapointed :(
May 8, 2022 1:33 AM
Oct 2018
Holy Cow what an episode. Might be the best episode yet. Guts was merciless. Running down and destroying that little kid with no thought. Griffiths speech about dreams and then Griffith playing politics and the stare down at the end. Wow

the music in the show takes it to another level
Jul 9, 2022 10:46 PM

May 2020
I loved the dream sequence. As Adonis died, he saw Guts as a hideous monster, not unlike the way Guts viewed Zodd. It's always difficult to read Guts, but clearly some wheels are turning in his brain right now about the person he's become. I think that's the difference between him and Griffith, who is revealing himself more and more to be a sociopath.
cam_eleonJul 9, 2022 11:40 PM
Dec 8, 2022 3:34 PM
Jan 2021
ofc. perfect episode again, so good. and guts and grifiith i like what he does with charlotte smth lie and so good really
Feb 21, 2023 3:06 PM

Dec 2020
This was such a heavy episode! When he killed that boy, it was so sad that I could cry, if I could cry easily.

And the old man that looked after the kid... I guess I can feel him a little.
Forum avatar: Lu, from Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
May 6, 2023 2:01 AM

Apr 2010
Berserk is getting darker! I think it's the first time that Guts kills a completely innocent person, a boy that reminds him. Lucius death was great to see. And the scheming minister is terrified by Griffith.
I think the most important part is the one where Griffith says what he considers "a true friend", Guts never tried to become like that, he only followed orders so far.
Jan 24, 1:42 PM

Jun 2019
This episode is dark as fuck. not to mention Griffith admitting that he is just using his comrades as tools that help him reach his ugly ass dream.
Apr 9, 8:54 AM
Apr 2019
The murder scene was very good, it's a shame he accidentally killed a child.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Apr 22, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Friendlysoul - Mar 11, 2008

514 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

82 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.