Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 16, 2011 11:54 AM

Feb 2005
ErwinJA said:
I have to agree that Tomino went more than a bit overboard. Far too many characters were nothing more than plot devices whose sole purpose was to die and give Uso a little more angst. I think I estimated something like 70% of characters who were introduced by name ended up dying to inflict some form of impact on Uso, including (as usual) most of the ones I liked. As mentioned previously, this was a big issue because it was almost always shrugged off shortly after, minimizing the impact and hurting character development. Putting so much focus here was probably why I feel it's one of the weaker Gundam series.
Yea, even if you buy into the silly expandability of the Shrike team and most of the allies, there were some especially pointless stuff, like those two enemy pilots that got like, a episode worth just to show some tacky "WHIE LOVED ONES HAV TO KILL EACH OTHER BAAAW" message.
And overall, I also felt the good guys weren't fighting seriously enough. After all, Zanscare did plan a campaign of genocide to wipe out all life on the earth, and then you have the protagonists worrying about causing a couple of nuclear reactor blasts?

The trite old trick with the EF being a bunch of ignorant fogies that somehow manage to overlook the chaos even on earth was a bit too silly to swallow as well.

There were also some annoyingly tacky twists that screamed wasted opportunities, like the time they infiltrated Zanscare to save Uso, they had a perfect chance to kill Kagatie and the military leaders during the breakout, but, noo. And of course, their failure to take the queen as a hostage in the first place.

Plus Katejina's change of character was not justified nearly well enough, and Shakti suffered from the typical whisy-whasyness what with changing sides randomly every now and then.

Still, it did have some really good points, the battle in ep.19-21 was really interesting with that fun fire-ship strategy.
Uso and the lot also weren't that bad, Gundam kids considered, at least they easily topped the fools from ZZ and the insufferably obnoxious Quess and Hathaway.
I just wish it could have been overall more serious, with less pointless crying for killed enemies and a more merciless attitude from the protagonists. But oh well, it is Gundam after all.
Jul 16, 2011 11:09 PM

May 2010
One question, what the hell was with the theme of the series? Seriously, everything had this motif of gender that I found to be extremely weird. Zanscare was fighting for motherly love? Then both Katejina and Lupe were trying to dominate men, there was the all-women shrike team, as well as that hilarious bikini attack-squad. Then there was all this talk about how women give birth and create life, lots of focusing on Marbet's pregnancy, but why? I was getting this weird sexist (matriarchy-phobia?) vibe throughout the show, but Tomino never explained half the shit he threw out there, so I can't really tell.

Anyways, this show was really fucking strange. For example, the "tires in space" concept was so absurd that even the characters talked about how stupid it was! Katejina randomly changed from good to the most evil character I've yet seen in the entire Gundam franchise for no apparent reason. Oliver's kamikaze attack made no sense (even if it destroyed the tires, it's not like they needed tires to fly off the moon. Even if they did, all they would have had to do was replace a tire, not exactly the most difficult repair ever...) That snake mobile armor was pretty stupid too now that I think about it. And, the eyecatches... umm, so the dog climbs up haro, falls off and becomes vaporised, then haro flies above the Earth? ...What the fuck? Then there was the scene where that guy picked a flower and the girl freaked out because they needed the flowers to survive. So... somebody apparently designed a colony so that you could destroy it by picking flowers?

Honestly, I don't know what to think. Maybe it's a 6 or 7. There were lots of cool parts to this show, but there were also lots of stupid parts. I actually liked the kill 'em all aspect, because that's how war is supposed to be. Still, this show has nothing on the 3 before it (and screw you all, ZZ is still my favorite UC TV series!)
“Money can't buy dere”
May 9, 2012 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
loved the series
my fav suit was the victory Gundam
Aug 27, 2012 2:05 PM

Sep 2009
F91 got scrapped and yet this pile of equine faeces got to be made?

Fuckdammit, Sunrise. What the hell were you thinking?

Also:

LindleAug 28, 2012 5:10 AM
Sep 7, 2012 7:44 AM

Sep 2010
I hate you Katejina you killed my Odelo you fucking bitch. So happy she got hit with the karma train may she suffer like that for the rest of her life cause death would have been too kind for her!

Poor Elischa is all alone, but I'm sure she will find someone who is just as sweet and gentlemen like Odelo cause if she don't then Odelo will rage and haunt that bastard!

lol did Tomache die too or something he kinda faded off when Odelo started facing Katejina?

I'll give this an 8/10 very good Gundam would have been better if Odelo lived and married Elischa. =D
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 4, 2013 2:33 PM

Jan 2013
Uso should get a free angst card because he really needed this one. Overall it was an okayish series, it started out promising but alot of wasted potential in my opinion. 7/10
I do think it is better then zz gundam.
Apr 18, 2014 2:56 AM

Mar 2012
And here I thought there could be nothing worse than Gundam ZZ.....One thing I will give it though is that it had an awesome OST.
May 1, 2014 12:11 PM

Sep 2011
fuck it i enjoyed this series alot, sure there were a ton of dumb moments and parts that seriously needed improvements but for what it did right i think it did REALLY right, i thought the core storyline was very strong and went in interesting directions, i really liked the cast this time around particularly uso who depsite doing a couple gullible things i generally found to be a well developed character with a likable personality. I really liked this finale and only found the strike team deaths to be all that forced(odello's death was fantastic if you ask me and really hit a heartstring for me)

also can i mention how relieving it was seeing uso and shatki just live their lives peacefully in the end with all the other survivors, they went through hell but unlike amuro and kammile they awaited a peaceful reward. Also i interprate katejina living as a fate worse than death as shes clearly not enjoying having no memories, contacts, or sight, she got what she deserved

8/10

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 16, 2014 5:40 PM

Apr 2012
8/10, a good series!
I've heard that there's lots of deaths and that it's not the best gundam series ever but still I enjoyed it.

Serves Katejina right!
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Jul 6, 2014 7:11 PM
Mar 2009
This was worse than ZZ, and that was difficult.
Nov 14, 2014 5:30 AM
Oct 2010
I enjoyed this, but:

- Most misogynistic Gundam
- Really limited OST, especially for a 51 ep. series. Please note that it wasn't bad, but it lacked versatility
- Horrible designs, I'm talking about the Motoroad Squad

Now the pros:

- Best Haro ever
- Holy fuck the sheer amount of tragedies that surround Uso and the unwavering support of everybody around him. That's war and camaraderie. For everebody saying he is a crybaby: he's a fucking 13 year old in the middle of a war he didn't ask to be a part of.
- GREAT battles. And the last 5 episodes, my god, that was great.

7/10
Jan 19, 2015 12:06 PM

Sep 2013
Hmm, so the core crew managed to stay alive throughout the war. I'm glad, a last minute death for Uso or Shakti would have been almost too predictable. I felt for Katejina in the end, although she was such a bitch in most of the episodes, she wasn't truly evil, just a bit fucked up in the head. Oh well, now they can finally live a normal life again in their homeland Kasarelia I suppose.

Man, I really enjoyed this. The general hate from what I'd like to call the 'core' UC fanbase is unjustified. The characters were for the most part quite likable in true Tomino fashion. Uso especially, he is easily one of the best Gundam pilots I have seen in UC. The plot was the typical Gundam fare, but it did its job and I was entertained through. The battle scenes had some pretty nice choreography and the mechanical design, especially for the Victory Gundam itself, was innovative.

As always, there were some stronger and weaker parts along the way, not to forget the usual Tomino asspulls such as the very recent Bikini scene, but overall I think it was just as fun of a Gundam as Zeta or 0079 was. The only thing it missed was a Char level antagonist/anti hero. One of the better UC Gundams definitely!

7/10
cupcJan 19, 2015 12:10 PM
Jan 19, 2015 4:50 PM

Jul 2010
So many deaths, RIP Odelo one of my favorites. And ofc the most hated character Katejina who killed so many of out beloved characters gets to live but I just laughed when she was mentally crippled,blind and amnesiac. KARMA FOLKS.

7/10.
Mar 16, 2015 4:55 PM

Jul 2014
Forced victimizing, incompetent characters, memory reset ending and a plethora of tension less death. This is by far the worst entry in the Gundam franchise, they tried to be grim but it came across as juvenile. I have a laundry list of issues with this shit... it wen't from Gundam ZZ level of mediocre to stupid shit like the end of episode 38.

Death =/= quality people. Tired of seeing people rank this high while it failed in almost every aspect.

3.5/10
Mar 19, 2015 3:21 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
No but seriously. What THE FUCK happened to Tomache?
You know what? Since it's not stated or shown, I'm just gonna say he was like, "You know what? Fuck this shit," and left during the battle because you know what? Fuck this shit.
Every time I pick a favorite character, they die or disappear due to irrelevance or something.

Anyway, besides the lack of Tomache-- and fuck that presumed dead shit-- I liked Victory Gundam.
But seriously, damn. All these characters die and get some "OMG DEAD/ABOUT TO DIE" scene/clip and Tomache just disappears? Nah.
That ain't right.
GDI, just for that I'm dropping my rating.
Dammit I'm mad. I didn't even think I'd be mad but all this time I've been thinking, "Ohh but if you must kill off Tomache, Marbet, or Warren then please do it quickly because my poor little heart can't take the wait of knowing they might meet their demise.;;"
I'm all re-watching the episode, trying to find Tomache die because maybe I blinked or something.
Mah boi Tomache said, 'Look for me".
I don't know why I'm so angry about this.
I feel like maybe it's just me observing that no one in the show seemed to give a shit about Tomache's death if he did die. Like, Uso saw all the dead folks who were important to him, Odelo's death was sensed, but nothing-- NOTHING about Tomache.
There's no need to be upset, but Gun-damn it all.

Wieners forever. I'm out.

EDIT: Wait no, I'm back in. So I've been rolling around not being able to sleep thinking about this Tomache thing and I realized that Karrel, his little brother, wasn't in the ending scene either. So I'm thinking maybe those two are just off doing their own thing. While I'm not fond of the whole Houdini act, I think that would make a little more sense when it comes to storytelling. And following the trend of this installment, no one's really going to die without their death being shown/made a big deal of/acknowledged, so I really think Tomache and Karrel are just...wherever.
SwiggyMar 19, 2015 4:16 AM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 22, 2015 6:43 PM

Oct 2010
Swiggy said:
No but seriously. What THE FUCK happened to Tomache?
You know what? Since it's not stated or shown, I'm just gonna say he was like, "You know what? Fuck this shit," and left during the battle because you know what? Fuck this shit.
Every time I pick a favorite character, they die or disappear due to irrelevance or something.

Anyway, besides the lack of Tomache-- and fuck that presumed dead shit-- I liked Victory Gundam.
But seriously, damn. All these characters die and get some "OMG DEAD/ABOUT TO DIE" scene/clip and Tomache just disappears? Nah.
That ain't right.
GDI, just for that I'm dropping my rating.
Dammit I'm mad. I didn't even think I'd be mad but all this time I've been thinking, "Ohh but if you must kill off Tomache, Marbet, or Warren then please do it quickly because my poor little heart can't take the wait of knowing they might meet their demise.;;"
I'm all re-watching the episode, trying to find Tomache die because maybe I blinked or something.
Mah boi Tomache said, 'Look for me".
I don't know why I'm so angry about this.
I feel like maybe it's just me observing that no one in the show seemed to give a shit about Tomache's death if he did die. Like, Uso saw all the dead folks who were important to him, Odelo's death was sensed, but nothing-- NOTHING about Tomache.
There's no need to be upset, but Gun-damn it all.

Wieners forever. I'm out.

EDIT: Wait no, I'm back in. So I've been rolling around not being able to sleep thinking about this Tomache thing and I realized that Karrel, his little brother, wasn't in the ending scene either. So I'm thinking maybe those two are just off doing their own thing. While I'm not fond of the whole Houdini act, I think that would make a little more sense when it comes to storytelling. And following the trend of this installment, no one's really going to die without their death being shown/made a big deal of/acknowledged, so I really think Tomache and Karrel are just...wherever.

Nope you are not crazy, Tomache pulled a Copperfield along with Karrel at the end. Not to mention how all of the crew of the the surviving Sugan Fleet including Kagatie flew off into never-never land with thousands of psychikers surrounding them, Not to mention how Uso drove right past Katejin on his hover car at the end and didn't bat an eye at her even though she's prob in his 2-3 most recognizable people.

Not to mention how Jinn Gehennam the slimmer faded into nowhere after he fled the Janne D' Arc as it was entering suicide mode.
And how they apparently revised this fact by adding his death in as a footnote in the *dead peoples spirits* montage as Janne D' Arc was smashing into Sugan's flagship, and also when Shakti's prayer was interrupted by Odelo's death and recounts all the people who died, she added *uncle* conveniently in there.

This show certaintly went off the deep end in its last few episodes, and managed to squeeze in extra plot holes and loose threads, which is a feat considering how drawn out and boring the action and dialogue became in the last 10 or so episodes.

HOWEVER, even with all these flaws, I think V Gundam is good.
Its sort of like a *so bad its good* type show.

Even though almost nothing makes sense and almost everything that happens is arbitrary and capricious, for some reason I cant come up with a sense that this is a bad show.

Its just too endearing, from Karlmann's obnoxious crying, to Shrike team's (Charlies Angels) meaningless deaths, to Odelo being killed off just to crap on the viewers one last time. to the rampant indications of paedophilia, feminism, motherly-love, naked feminine zeitgeist anthropomorphizing in space…..

Come on….that's Victory, that's Tomino, just deal with it….keep in mind this show finished before Evangelion had even aired….which soon went on to take the cake and run with it. In comparison maybe these two shows should be looked at as two of a kind….shows designed to taunt the viewer into taking them seriously in an effort to defy and crush all expectations with inanity and vulgarity to the max.

A post-modern tour de force, if you will.

As for the recently announced Blu-Ray sets, I will be awaiting with frothing demand. I just cant wait to see those poorly animated action sequences unfold in true HD. ;)
Jun 19, 2015 12:43 AM

May 2009
Cronicle Asher, throughout the series, just didn't give me the "Char Clone" vibe like the other masked men in other series. He's more like a Jerid-type more than A CHAR. Thrown-out of his cockpit and got his neck broken. I actually lol'd at that. xD

Despite Katejina killing Odelo, I felt bad for her towards the end.
Aug 20, 2015 12:49 PM

Aug 2015
GOD i hoped for Katejina this bitch to DIE.
7/ 10 Atleast she suffers in live now.
Aug 23, 2015 6:01 AM
Apr 2013
Sasuga Tomino. Flawed but enjoyable.
Oct 8, 2015 8:45 PM

Jan 2013
Hmm, I'll have to think about the last few minutes of this episode among other things, felt a bit simple. Do we know what happens to the Zanscare? Do they just go on to live for themselves and such? As for Katejina, I guess she's in a poor state but maybe has some soul-searching to do unless she just wanders on a neverending road until she perishes, not sure if it's pro-redemption for her rebellious mayhem or not.

It's very similar to Zeta's ending (various parts of the series are really) but I really liked Uso as a character and his unyielding spirit and kindness, it was easier to get behind him than the wildly volatile, near-incomprehensible Kamille, and also the (admittedly slightly excessive) deaths being more spread out throughout the show really gave more investment into the tragedy rather than just bombarding you right at the end.

I think that even the deaths of minor characters (the Shrike Team) while lacking emotional power, had some writing strength still; we see more of Uso's perspective really, and while he gets emotional even over these people we hardly knew, you can imagine Junko and the others who had known the passing members as they start to get killed off would be heavily affected because of their pasts together, and part of Junko's character was her being so heavy-hearted of all her comrades dying that she was losing her will to continue, but she kept fighting on before she got her wish (I know this is way earlier in the series, but that was a nice part for me).

I like some of the core ideas of this Gundam entry though, and from what I gather, it seems to argue a bit for the necessity of conflict (individualism at least) to establish good boundaries and promote change if humanity needs it and such and that it may be an inevitability (kind of the crux of what the franchise in its longevity shows).

While a bunch characters still don't feel as rounded and multi-faceted as 0079's, they are certainly an improvement over Zeta's high-strung exposition dolls called "characters". Victory gives the characters more downtime to bounce off the world around them and what gives them certain emotions and such although it could still use some more seeing how many episodes of battling there were. Victory's tragedy element also felt more direct than Zeta's simple straight-faced tone considered to be "dark" until the ending when there actually is some death and sadness going on, and while Victory was slow and had a bit too much action perhaps, it still felt less tedious than Zeta (although Zeta wasn't good at hiding its repeated plot threads to begin with).

As much as it seems like I keep holding Zeta against Victory, I'm still unsure if I can prop Victory one note higher with a few of the muddled things like aforementioned coupled with some of my concerns left on the episode 50 thread (Chronicle's ultimate goals, Shakti changing the Halo's abilities, etc) but yeah Uso was a great protagonist, the other characters weren't bad, the varied villain goals at the end was cool, and there are some complex themes towards the end there, so I liked it a fair bit. Maybe I'll need to revisit those last 4-6 episodes to get better footing on it, but if someone wants to clear up some of the confusion I'm having, that would help too. Underrated Gundam nonetheless I'd say.

P.S. I wish Uso's Super Newtype Attack-thingy had more emotion to it though, it was like a split second "YEEEEART" (sorrynotsorry lol), the wings spread and then Haro's like "Congrats." A bit lame compared to Kamille's charge on Scirocco.
AngelsArcanumOct 8, 2015 8:48 PM
Dec 23, 2015 10:48 AM

Mar 2012
This show's only redeeming quality was that it didn't sugarcoat war at all with so many dying, but even then its a squandered quality because there's little to no character development whatsoever stemming from it. Uso continues to act on emotions and continues to do careless shit up until the final episode and it's basically because of him that the vast majority of people that died...died. After a thousand attempts and Katejina killing many of his friends, he still wants to try to convince her otherwise even in this episode and despite her saying time and time again she won't go back. Shakti went through character regression, at the start she was very cautious and very against a lot of would be stupid ideas, yet by the end she continually wishes to go back because she believes she could still reason with Cronicle and also with Kagatie, despite multiple failed attempts. She sat there saying how much the Angel Halo gives her very bad feelings and that it should be stopped yet when given the chance she's 100% on board with using it, and she didn't even know about it having a hidden power at that point.

Other than the V suits and the V2, the overwhelming vast majority of suits in this show were pretty ugly. Most of the characters were pretty flat, but I suppose that's because they would eventually die anyway.

Not the best of the UC, by a long shot.
All in all, it's about as good as ZZ in whole, but its also just as easily forgettable as the first half of ZZ.
Venom900Dec 23, 2015 10:53 AM

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Feb 13, 2016 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
VanishingKira said:
Then comes F91 and Victory which just shat on that ending

But F91 and Victory were made BY Tomino and came out BEFORE Unicorn. If anything it's Unicorn's fault for playing with the continuity and presenting itself as an important entry to the UC timeline jammed right in the middle lol. Not saying Unicorn is bad, but you can't blame F91 and Victory for 'crapping on' an entry that wasn't made until several years after the fact.
Jul 31, 2016 3:34 AM

May 2014
AngelsArcanum said:
VanishingKira said:
Then comes F91 and Victory which just shat on that ending

But F91 and Victory were made BY Tomino and came out BEFORE Unicorn. If anything it's Unicorn's fault for playing with the continuity and presenting itself as an important entry to the UC timeline jammed right in the middle lol. Not saying Unicorn is bad, but you can't blame F91 and Victory for 'crapping on' an entry that wasn't made until several years after the fact.

Well it's more the reboot nature they tried to apply to the UC that ruins things. Unicorn serves as a late addition ending to the main arc of the UC, that had previously been filled by Char's Counterattack.

F91 was intended to be a soft reboot of the franchise. Hence the flash forward 30 years after Char's Counterattack, and seemingly most things from Amuro's era being forgotten and or not around in abundance (the Feddie soldiers not instantly recognizing a Gundam and Newtypes not being around). F91 infamously crashed and burned behind the scenes and with audiences (competing at the time against 0083 Stardust Memory), and 2 years later we got Victory.

Victory which I call F91 2.0, because of how similar V is to F91 at the beginning. Victory is another soft reboot that further pushes down the UC timeline (now set 60 years after Char's Counterattack) and further removes references and other things you expect to see in an UC era Gundam. Although it is odd that the Zansacare know what a Gundam is and it's history buy the Feddies (again) and the League Militaire don't know about the Gundams from history. Victory's reputation is known to just about everyone and how Tomino set out to make Victory as mean spirited and crazy as he possibly could.

With Victory's reception and behind the scenes drama, we got the AU Gundam series. So yeah, two bad soft reboots sequels and Unicorn a more closely connected sequel to the main UC (The Origin -> MSG -> Thunderbolt -> 08th MS -> 0080 -> 0083 -> Zeta -> ZZ -> CCA) is where we end. Unicorn's finale brings closure to the Zeon vs Federation feud but we know the space wars are what define the UC. It's just everything that would come after seems to petty by comparisons; pirates (F91) and radicalized fanatics (Victory). Personally, I'd put X as the continuation of the UC timeline. Since it continues to explore what Newtypes are, as the UC Gundams just dropped this aspect because Tomino got bored of it, and it tonally fits in with the UC more (Earth vs Colonies).
Sep 29, 2016 10:00 PM

Dec 2009
This was a great Gundam entry but all those character deaths towards the end were kind of pointless. Not trying to sound cruel, but I think both Cronicle and Katejina were let off too easy for the crimes they committed.
Nov 21, 2016 6:06 AM
๐ŸฅŠ CHAMPION ๐ŸฅŠ

Apr 2016
i don´t like this final episode!!!

-Odelo, why? He is not the protagonist, it was not necessary!
-Katejina? Is a joke? yes, a bad joke!
-End the war? How? Miracle!
-Angel Halo, is a big army, but how it has evolved? nothing, mistery!!!

This series had nice moments, but the worst and this horrible final, pay toll. The worst series of the all the Gundams that i can see. .... 6/10 (and i am noble-minded)
Nov 26, 2016 8:58 AM

Dec 2015
edit: sorry, it is an horrible mess.

I am ashamed, I don't know why but I loved this episode.
I disliked how Shakti basically became a mass-murderer (Psychickers send drifting into space, Kagatie & co, are probably safe since they have ships.)
I disliked how Chronicle revealed himself as someone who could simply not stand the pressure.
And many other things... (Uso's dad cautiously escaping the kamikaze ship but supposedly dead in the crash, etc)

5/5 It might be the power of insert-song finale... I need to be treated against that.

A more than decent Gundam despite the lack of informations about and focus on the war/conflict itself and its background, all its weird illogical things didn't help either (laser rotor magically inducing fly, etc). There was way too much action, but it never felt as suffocating as Zeta's habit of 50/50 and the action was often very enjoyable (despite those stupid super expensive strategies who made no sense in such conditions), The BGM was not memorable on its own (only one very short track caught me) but it seemed to work well strangely.
The drawings in general were sometimes good but often pretty bland.
It was not helped by the directing, or lack of. It doesn't look like it was made bythe guy who made Zeta (I know Zeta had only moments, but it was still more than what Victory has)
The robots design main theme was a nice idea for a change, until they went on the second big theme of motorbikes (or Motorrad in german).
I respect some attempts in the show like the women duality idea who was poorly implemented (though I kind of like some parts of it). Or the ecology statement who was horribly integrated (looks like the show was never designed with it in mind).
There were failed occasions like Chronicle or Tassolo who needed more than what they got. Same thing for the Zanscare Empire and the whole conflict.
A big bonus: the exploitation of Haro. This little AI toy made by Amuro sure went far.

Score: 6.5/10 (registered as 7, but susceptible to go down to 6)
I wonder what Tomino tried to tackle once Sunrise offered him a new Gundam show (Turn A). New subjects/themes? Or did he feel unsuccessful and tried the ecology and women again? (though he stated that he successfully wrote a woman in Victory)

An interesting interview between Anno and Tomino following Victory's broadcast: https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/11/08/interview-hideaki-anno-vs-yoshiyuki-tomino-animage-071994/

@VyseLegendaire You know what? Anno stated Victory was "the best recent Gundam" during its broadcast. (it might explain a few Eva things like the Kaworu "bottle" scene).

@Sapewloth But... will you ignore G-Reco and Turn A's (not alternative) continuity of Victory and third chunk of the UC?
Rei_IIIMar 13, 2017 1:09 AM
Mar 11, 2017 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
While it was no 0079 nor CCA, the finale was very good imo. Lots of unecessary deaths as usual, but the episode as a whole packed enough of an emotional punch to satisfy me. Katejina's punishment was pretty severe and while I would been fine with a good ol' painful death, what she got instead was fine. Only thing I'm genuinely upset about is Odelo not surviving his flags; man, seeing him go was hard :/.

As for the show itself, I don't have much to say that wasn't already said in the previous episode threads. The themes of gender identity, family, mother/womanhood, pollution and such are all interesting to include in a mecha show as a concept but were handled pretty poorly and/or confusingly for the most part. Similarly, character motivations and progressions suffer from a lot of plot induced stupidity introduced to move things forward, create drama or both, which is something that just breaks the suspension of disbelief and throws you out of the experience. It felt like Tomino had a lot of great ideas that he just had 0 idea how to properly tackle.

I think I'll go with a 6.5/10, rounded up to a 7 because I genuinely liked the show despite its critical flaws. I might revise my score if I ever get around to rewatching it one day.

Can't believe my UC marathon is finally coming to an end. Took me almost 3 years, jeez. Now all that's left is finishing the few OVAs I haven't yet watched and I'll finally be able to tackle AU Gundam classics.

@Rei366 Oh no, I'll definitely be watching G-Reco and Turn A (it's just that I didn't really count them as UC Gundams because they're apparently set way after Universal Century).
SapewlothMar 13, 2017 2:43 AM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jun 14, 2017 3:44 AM

Aug 2015
Why the fuck was Tomino was fucking thinking.
This is easily one of the worst constructed shows I have ever seen in my life.
The story is a broken mess filled with horrific writing especially in the second half.
All of the characters minus Uso Odelo and Sucy are very poorly written and they were cringe-worthy to watch. Plus most of the chararters are body bag material instead of actual chararters who have a personalty.
The woman in Victory are disgustingly poorly written.
Victory Gundam is one of the worst looking shows I seen in any anime. Zeta and ZZ Gundam looks great and well detailed while Victory looks like dogshit.
The only good thing about Victory is the music and the openings.
In short this is the worst Gundam shows that I have ever seen even beating the likes of Seed Destiny. Least Seed Destiny had good and funny moments through the course of that train-wreck.
Victory Gundam offended me in almost every way possible.
Fuck this show
2/10
Sep 26, 2017 8:27 AM

Feb 2008
So there were some who managed to survive.

I dislike taking pleasure in the misfortune of others. In Katejina's case, I'm inclined to make an exception. She managed to survive, but paid the price. Rightfully so.

What an odd series.
Led_WaylineSep 26, 2017 8:30 AM
Jan 21, 2018 12:17 AM

Oct 2008
Some were making this out to be the hidden gem of the Gundam franchise.
And while it does have its ups and interesting moments,at the end of the day Tomino's shortcomings as a director and the overreliance on the '50/50 screen-time action' formula (that also plagued Zeta as well) can only take it so far.

It felt very uneven to say the least,and only really picked up towards the last 10 episodes or so when it actually had a overarching plot and some clear goals.
Aug 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Apr 2009
PhantomKurata said:
Why the fuck was Tomino was fucking thinking.
This is easily one of the worst constructed shows I have ever seen in my life.
The story is a broken mess filled with horrific writing especially in the second half.
All of the characters minus Uso Odelo and Sucy are very poorly written and they were cringe-worthy to watch. Plus most of the chararters are body bag material instead of actual chararters who have a personalty.
The woman in Victory are disgustingly poorly written.
Victory Gundam is one of the worst looking shows I seen in any anime. Zeta and ZZ Gundam looks great and well detailed while Victory looks like dogshit.
The only good thing about Victory is the music and the openings.
In short this is the worst Gundam shows that I have ever seen even beating the likes of Seed Destiny. Least Seed Destiny had good and funny moments through the course of that train-wreck.
Victory Gundam offended me in almost every way possible.
Fuck this show
2/10

This! Very exact same thought.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2018 7:04 AM

Mar 2016
This series was weird in a good way, and I think the careful direction obscures some of the oddest stuff. The over the top emotional appeals manage to have impact in spite of themselves, the only things that got a chuckle out of me were Uso's harem of ghosts pointing him towards Katejna and Oliver 'speaking' to Marbet through their child, maybe if they didn't point it out it wouldn't have been as bad. The overall message isn't really misogynist, it's just typical 'let the next generation takeover you old fogies' and of course you need babies, real ones that will grow up and mature, to do that. Also, there is the sense that a capacity to 'fight' spurs evolution and growth, enough that neutering humanity into peace loving infants would lead to their (literal) decay. I mean, it's literally the men who don't understand 'motherhood' who cause all of this shit to begin with. For a series that really shows you how terrible war is, the main idea manages to not simply be that 'war is bad.' Though, that's not like that isn't part of it either.

Thinking about how Katejina acts in the beginning, her character makes perfect sense. She can't control Uso to keep him from fighting so she switches over to Cronicle, and spurs him on to fight. They say that Fuala is 'too much of a woman,' Katejina goes way beyond that. (Ok, maybe that's the 'misogynistic' part). Another interesting thing is that Uso most definitely had a mother complex, Katejina looking like his mother is no accident.

This finale looked gorgeous and managed to be beautiful in its own weird way. I liked Uso for the most part, what I find interesting is that as the conflict gets weirder (like with the Angel Halo shit) Uso's own actions become more morally gray. It doesn't make it any better that he screams out 'if only you weren't here I wouldn't have to kill you' every five seconds. My favorite parts definitely have to be when they to return to Earth the second time. It's probably the high point of the series.

I'm still conflicted about it overall, but definitely did not regret watching it. How much did Anno take away from this? There's that interview floating around.
syncrogazerSep 6, 2018 2:47 PM
Sep 6, 2018 10:46 AM

Dec 2015
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=61888&show=0#msg48719374

September 6, 2018
@syncrogazer FOr me, Anno took at least the "mentality" behind the show's making (against producers, against the consumers, etc) and one little visual reminder of Victory used in EVA could be the head choping ?
(glad someone else read this interesting interview)

January 31, 2019
@VVill Katejina's case (and the overall show in some ways) is an attempt from Tomino to delve into certain things that most people would say were beyond his grasp. I invite you to read the cross-interview of Anno & Tomino to get more about the series and the character.
(I put the URL in Victory's section on my blog page: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Rei_III )

August 1, 2020
St0rmblade said:

P.S. Also probably the largest amount of dark-skinned characters I've seen in anime. Was it intentional?

Probably a Nadia side-effect? (just look at the beginning party...). At the very least, it was an active decision since from Victory on, dark-skinned characters will always be a thing (for Tomino, I mean). If you happen to find Tomino saying something about it, please ring me.

I knew the battles were far more pleasing and watching this series was nothing like the chore Zeta was ! Notice that both ZZ and V were far more easier to go along than Zeta and are the two pet peeves of "UC fans". 0079, the other "easy watch" also being under Zeta in terms of celebration.

Shall we conclude that 0079 is the best Gundam out of the two first big periods (original saga, later UC)?

@St0rmblade Sorry, my bad english at work here xD
I think that his frustration from production meddlings increased with years (especially since he became pretty much free of most contraints for all of his works beyond V). If you have read the post-series interview: right after Victory, he seems rather satisfied with it, given all the production problems. Those problems even show up on screen, through animation and drawings errors and poor quality, something... striking after Zeta (this one had minor technical problems) and ZZ.
For me, the main noticeable thing is the long meandering in the beginning-middle chunk of the series. And this is, for me, the result of something he talked about with Anno.

I think people tend to "forgive" or rather forget Zeta's numerous problems thanks to the fact it was full of ideas. Poorly or well implemented, sure, but it might be the boldest and rtainly is the most packed of all installments in the series.
In terms of pure ideas, I think Zeta and Victory are the two titles that come on top.

Now, you must be afraid of Turn A, the second most revered Gundam in the West after Zeta (although it polarizes way more, with a small but strong chunk of the watchers being fervent haters). And looking forward to the infamous G Reco.

PS: I forgot about it but since you appreciated the BGM too, I invite you to check other works by the same composer. His music never stands out but always compliments the shows very well (unlike, for example, Yoko Kanno whose deliveries are always great but support the series by standing out on their own).
Rei_IIIAug 1, 2020 11:31 AM
Sep 6, 2018 2:49 PM

Mar 2016
Rei366 said:
@syncrogazer FOr me, Anno took at least the "mentality" behind the show's making (against producers, against the consumers, etc) and one little visual reminder of Victory used in EVA could be the head choping ?
(glad someone else read this interesting interview)

Evangelion is very beholden to Gundam and Tomino anyway, but how closely together Eva and Victory were released it's hard not to make comparisons. The 'V' wings of light for example instantly jumped out at me.
Sep 19, 2018 4:00 PM

Jul 2016
So ends the journey of Victory Gundam.. and I am so glad I watched this show!

For me personally, I liked it better than Zeta and ZZ. Zeta's characters just did not appeal to me and ZZ was awesome, but the first 13 or so episodes and then how at the end it reverted back to being goofy was disappointing.

I'm surprised by several people's response to this show that Uso was "selfish" and one of the worst main characters of the Gundam franchse.. what?!? Everybody has their opinions, but shit, you people have watched both Amuro and Kamile, right? We had to deal with their endless drama (especially Kamile) which at times could be unbearable, and to the point you stopped feeling empathy for them because they were teenagers. Uso grew up being a man before our eyes by rarely ever whining and bitching about piloting the Gundam, and when he did, it was not an overwhelming focus of the show. Hats off to Uso, my second favorite main character in the Gundam franchise (behind Amuro) so far.

Katejna has to be the biggest heel/bitch ever :). When she stabbed Uso, my jaw dropped! What an appropriate way her character ended the show: instead of being granted death, you live with the sins of what you've done and are now blind. At first when she was speaking to Shakti, I seriously thought she was going to shoot Shakti! I would not put it passed Tomino to do something like that.

Show had some pretty over the top stuff and some of the writing could be weak. Some of the deaths in the show were forced, but a lot of them were effective since they were plot devices for Uso. I score the show 8/10!
Jan 30, 2019 9:52 PM

Aug 2008
I watched the whole show in under a week and I have to say it was a very fascinating experience. I saw the ending scene years ago regrettably so I knew some of the characters outcome already, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of this show at all.

Although it did leave me very confused with the Katejina character. Throughout the whole show they didn't show us a single instance to what actually happened to her at all. There were some scenes that alluded to which side she would eventually go, but I just wish there were more scenes between her and Chronicle or Usso to show us what her thoughts really were. One of the reasons why I wanted to watch this was to know what happened to that pitiful blind woman at the very end of this amazing anime.
May 21, 2020 6:46 PM

Jan 2012
Ah, finally finished this and now I'm off to finish the amazing UC timeline with...G-Saviour.

Before heading out to finish off my favorite anime timeline, I wanted to leave a few thoughts on Victory as a whole. I feel conflicted when trying to score this show. It did some things amazing and did some things horribly wrong.

I'll start with things I liked about the series. I really like the cast of characters on both sides of the conflict. Uso and Shakti were pretty fleshed out and I felt a little bad after finishing the series as I wouldn't be able to watch their lives moving forward. The League Militaire group were great along with the Shrike Team. They got just enough screen time that you could tell they were just a big family going about their business between sorties. Then, you have the main Zanscare cast. Queen Maria was basically a loving god, but had little power over her empire. Chronicle was likable for the first half of the series but kinda fell off halfway through the series.

Notice I don't mention Katejina. We'll come back to her in the next section.

The setting itself was also quite interesting. As they say, history often repeats itself. Which definitely rings true for Victory Gundam. The earth federation/rebels vs the Zanscare war is clear proof that humanity will never learn. The tragedy of mankind that is Gundam is what has me always coming back for more.

The animation and sound are acceptable for the time period considering the length. Not too many reused animations besides the main ones are noticeable...I'm looking at you Wing, but overall good and acceptable.

The first 3/4 of the show, though slow, were quite enjoyable as we got to spend time with the League Militaire struggling against the superior Zanscare empire. It was great to see, with limited resources and sacrifices, the League come out on top. The pacing of the show was slow, steady, and a fun ride.

Unfortunately, it's that last quarter when the show starts to show strange plots/character developments. The pacing also goes all over the place. There are times when too many things happen at once, and then nothing at all. Which can be expected as a lot of shows suffer from this, but Victory brought it to unacceptable level.

For example, one moment, there's a big battle, the next has everyone playing catch in space with Haro. Another one was when Uso comes back from a sortie and gets out of the normal suit only to have it on again and head out not long after. It's like why did he even bother taking off the normal suit. He wasn't even in a rush or anything.

I just realized that talking about every bad/confusing thing will take too much effort. I'll make a quick list it here: pedo Zanscare chick bath/chase, insane Maria God cult, avoidable Shakti kidnappings, Uso "outings", meaningless/out of place deaths, Katejina's sudden madness, chronicle's fading importance, Angel halo...

This leads me to the clusterfuck that is the ending. This might be a bit of a rant and I'm sorry ahead of time.

Angel Halo not only looked cool, but was also an interesting concept. Only problem with it, how the hell did Shakti know of the "hidden" functions? Which was to trap the remaining enemy Zanscare fleet and throw them into space along with the trapped civilians? Weren't they just trying to save them? Then, as if god willed it, Shakti floats from above in a protected ball. (thankfully, but still doesn't excuse it)

Another thing I want to touch on. What the hell happened to the Zanscare cast? Katejina did show signs of changing sides/ideologies, but at some point she just becomes almost as psycho as the Fuala bell bitch. For example, Katejina suddenly has erotic feels towards Uso and she's basically edging the whole time while Uso and Chronicle fight each other. Which didn't make sense as she never said to Uso she was going to go to the winner. Hell, Katejina stabs Uso afterwards! (lol) BTW, I guess Uso is a tough SOB because didn't give a shit about the stab. I almost forgot it even happened as it's never eluded to afterwards.

The infighting of the Zanscare lacked any true plot. Things were happening, but nothing really interesting came of it all besides Tassilo almost getting beheaded, turning traitor against Kagatie, and kidnapping the queen which he foolishly shoots for some reason. There was also the little thing with Pippinden and Chronicle, but Pippinden just gets exploded by his lover for some unknown reason. I don't even what to get started on that.

Then, we have Chronicle. Where the hell did he go? Sure, he was here and there throughout, but he wasn't doing shit. It was like he had cameo scenes in the last quarter. "Oh, there you are princess!" I feel like that's all he said every time Shakti showed up during one of her kidnappings.

One more quick thing, there was a lack a closure as a whole: Tomache just disappeared. What is happening with the fallen Zanscare empire now that the main fleet and Mario are gone? It's pretty clear that Shakti didn't become the next queen. Did Kagatie escape the Halo or did he get banished into space along with the innocent civilians trapped in the Halo? Who the hell knows/cares anymore apparently. That's almost as bad as when Puru two died in double Zeta and no one gave a shit. Her skeleton still lies undisturbed on the Argama.

I going to stop myself before I get really heated (lol). Though fun, I think I'll conclude things here. I really liked just about everything when thinking of Victory. Even Haro and Karlman were likable characters. It's just the way the ending was handled. It almost becomes a comedy with how bad it is. I initially gave it a 6, but I think the show deserves a 7/10 from me. If handled better, it could have easily been an 8 or even a 9 if the ending was amazing, but it's just too bad. Still better than ZZ.

Off to G-Saviour!...You know what, I think I need a break.
Aug 1, 2020 10:16 AM

Aug 2017
Weird how Jeanne d'Arc was still more or less intact after a huge explosion and a kamikaze attack in the previous episode.

Chronicle took his mask off before his dying speech hahaha. And the last second before the eyecatch… xD What a way for the "main antagonist" to die.

Actually I expected more deaths (most of the crew, including Marbet - I was surprised they all survived).

Overall this episode was pretty enjoyable even though it had its problems here and there (some people may call it inconclusive in regards to Angel Halo, etc). Watching a funeral scene with an insert song was sad as usual.
I even think that it might've been a good idea to allow Katejina to kill Uso with that knife. I was actually prepared for this outcome! But she only wounded him.

Overall Victory turned out to be quite a nice ride for me, despite its apparent problems: antagonists less interesting than possible (Katejina's infatuation with Chronicle could've been shown in more detail, though it was still better than Scirocco in Zeta; Chronicle himself was not a very exciting antagonist apart from showing some signs of "nobility" in the beginning of the show), Shakti was...something conflicted. I definitely enjoyed quite a lot of things though, including some good songs and soundtracks, battles (better than in Zeta), nice supporting crew (Marbet, Warren, Odelo, Haro!!), and of course Uso was a decent protagonist going through a lot of unfortunate things. While the show was seemingly lacking in an overarching theme for the most part, it still ended up being an easy watch (Zeta was harder to consume because of its 50/50 formula; while Victory's battles were even longer than half an episode sometimes, they were more diverse and meaningful). I don't even think that "going with the flow" was a bad thing - individual episodes were pretty good, and I don't think I can pinpoint a really bad episode like I could e.g. in ZZ (Moon Moon, space Hong Kong) - recaps don't count. Though the part with Angel Halo was introduced suddenly, it was thematically connected to Maria's cult, so that was still fine.
Also can't forget that Victory had some of the most memorable designs in UC (no, I don't remember every single MS from Zeta), and I actually liked the idea with tires just because how crazy and creative it was.
Overall I think it deserves a decent 7/10, I appreciate Tomino's attempt at trying to tackle the womanhood theme (hard thing for him apparently), though the environmental part ended up being pushed behind. And of course all these deaths.

P.S. Also probably the largest amount of dark-skinned characters I've seen in anime. Was it intentional?
P.P.S. I see there're some manga side stories connecting V with F91 through Crossbone conflict and Jupiter Empire.
P.P.P.S. Maria turned out to be a fortune teller (before becoming the Queen), so...somewhat similar story to Lalah

-------------
@Rei_III I mean that I can't remember *every* model from the show (it's mostly about the MS-of-the-week types), not *any* model xD Of course I remember the titular suits. There were just too many experimental ones made to sell toys. V sticked to a consistent theme and limited its variety, on the other hand.

I also agree that 0079 is the best so far. Funny to find myself at odds with the "popular opinion" (regarding Zeta, ZZ, and now V). By the way, I think I failed to figure out just what "went wrong with Victory Gundam", though Tomino probably wanted me to understand that xD Why did he dislike it so much?

Rei_III said:

I think people tend to "forgive" or rather forget Zeta's numerous problems thanks to the fact it was full of ideas. Poorly or well implemented, sure, but it might be the boldest and rtainly is the most packed of all installments in the series.
In terms of pure ideas, I think Zeta and Victory are the two titles that come on top.

You're probably right here, but if Victory is comparable to Zeta in terms of ideas, than it's even more strange that so many people seem to hate it. Maybe it's the effect of having a completely new cast and no fan-favourites (like Char)?

The interview was an interesting read, Tomino certainly felt satisfied with his depiction of women...
Anno: This is a personal impression, but to me, V Gundam is a story about soil and women.

This man is not wrong.

I also think this interview helped me clarify the problems with Cronicle's underdevelopment.

I know it as the author who created this uneasy situation, where I cannot just say “Die, please”.

Is this really you, Tomino? I wish he implemented this idea of making Katejina burn as a sort of alternative ending xD

My favourite parts:
Recently there have been rice shortages from time to time, and it’s a very good thing in my opinion.

Anno: Indeed, we must put a bit of poison inside our works (laugh), particularly for children.

xD

It's also interesting to contrast the perspective on the audience in this interview with people in the West. I always felt like people there seemed to like "brutal" or "mature" things, so it's pretty refreshing to read about Tomino compromising on his more violent ideas in order not to turn people away completely (like with the death of Uso's mother). I think many teens actually like such scenes nowadays.

P.S. Best song of the series of course:
https://youtu.be/IhjdGnR172k
St0rmbladeAug 1, 2020 12:17 PM
Aug 23, 2020 2:50 PM

Feb 2008
Just a terrible Gundam series all around.
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Oct 16, 2020 9:13 PM
Jul 2017
What happened to the pshyikers in Angel Halo?
They went to space? for what? what was shakti trying to do by sending them in space?
Were they rescued? or killed?
Aug 16, 2021 12:03 PM

Aug 2017
Wow, that ending was depressing as fuck. Odelo, Chronicle and Kagatie were killed while Katejina lost her memory and she's blind. At least the rest lived. Ok. They never explained if Uso's dad and Tomache were killed or not. He just kind of disappears at some point during the final battle.

The first half wasn't the best but after they went to the space, the anime is amazing. And I like how Haro is relevant here. Its one of the best Gundam i've watched. 8/10 for the anime.

NurguburuAug 16, 2021 12:21 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 9, 2021 8:47 AM

Dec 2008
At first I thought that anime had great balancing, Bespa was on par with the good guys.

Since the "tires" they became painfully superior, like 7 Gundams can't defeat a single Battleship. The last few episodes had superior prototypes, but the Federation had nothing except 1! V2. I felt really bad for Shrieke Team, that they were murdered effortlessly, really that was a bad performance. Franny was hit by a breaking beam rifle barrel and exploded right away.

Angel Halo was a bad device to be set as last front it didn't even work properly and everyone inside died anyway, seriously that could been solved much faster.

Shakhti, baby and Uso survived at least and the stupid bitch, really what was wrong with her?! Overall this anime had too many crazy woman "boya" preying on Uso.
The darker setting was partiality very good, but it escalated into some gruesome for no reason plot device.

The best part was the third quarter, otherwise I would not recommend this gundam show ,it was more bad than fun. I watched it out of curiosity but expected something much better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2021 8:41 PM

Jan 2008
It's been so long since I watched it I barely remember it. I do remember a lot of women dying in it though lol.
๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ด. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ.
Oct 30, 2021 2:55 PM

Oct 2013
NUMBER ONE VICTORY GUNDAM
YEAH ZANSCARE WE BOUT TO GET DOWN
10 KILLS WILL MAKE YOU CRY RIGHT NOW
JUST WIPED UWIG TOWN

Hm. Ok. Sorry.
I'm finding really hard to forming an opinion about this.
The setting and a lot of concepts were great, maybe the best ideas Tomino had at rthat point in time; too bad that the writing and the general consistency of the plot were godawful, even worse than Z, and that one basically didn't even had a plot.
Uso was a great lead, while every other character received an actual personality far too late (Shakti and Marbet at half of the series, Katejina, well... in the second to last episode. Chronicle just doesn't).
The plot builds itself like it's improvising, adding layers upon layers of inconsistencies just go forward. I won't mention the casualties, everyone already talked about those and yeah, maybe 2 out of 10 were actually emotional and weren't an attempt to hide the incapacity of the script to make something useful with those characters.

It's truly a shame. I'm convinced that with a different approach this could've been even a great Gundam series. All the right elements were there. Uso, Shakti, Marbet... I don't think I'll ever forget them. Some reflections about war and how humans make use of it were in fact interesting! And the final positive message was solid and believable. It's just that potentially great characters and concepts were tampered by A LOT of nonsense and plain inability to manage a story that I think was too ambitious for Tomino and his team.

6/10. I can't hate it, but I just couldn't enjoy it like I did with the original and ZZ (yes, ZZ, a solid 8/10 in my book. Stacce.) Or like I did with War in the Pocket, but that's just too good, why even compare it with something else.
Jan 10, 2022 10:37 AM

Dec 2007
anyone get a good laugh from chronicle's death, very un-pilot like death.

Feb 18, 2022 1:08 PM

Jul 2020
Another UC Gundam finished. I liked everything up to Angel Halo's arc, then it all went to shit. While Victory is not as bad as some people claim it to be I can totally understand why it's considered the lowest point / weakest anime of the UC timeline. Even ZZ is better than Victory, let that sink in. Still a solid 6 out of 10 to me though.
Apr 11, 2022 8:12 AM

Oct 2010
RIP Odelo, you were the best BOYAAAA T_T.

Chronicle was really an underwhelming antagonist, he was neither intelligent or a good pilot. I believe Katejina had a higher body count than Chronicle.

The Angel Ring was shenanigans but i guess it could be explained by New Type powers or the Psycho-frame technology.

The series had a really weird potrayal of women but at least the children were really good characters.

The lack of politics heavily affected Victory Gundam because it felt like the war had no winning side and the only end goal the viewer could care for was for the children to return safely.

Victory had an amazing start, but I think ZZ is better overall.
AndiuxyApr 11, 2022 8:15 AM
ใ€ŒSelf Aware Cringy Weebใ€
Apr 24, 2022 8:37 AM
Apr 2012
Gundam Victory was quite slow, boring and lacked solid direction and characterization for the first half. However the fights were good and kept me interested.

The episodes slowly started getting better after they went into space, but it still lacked any feeling of direction or progress towards a goal. Only when Uso's mother entered the picture, the plot picked up. I really got into the show after Uso's mother died (hm, come to think of that, Uso and Shakti caused each other's mothers' deaths). Some of those episodic stories were quite enjoyable too.

The series had many problems, like logic, lack of consistency and poorly explianed character motivations, among other things. But it was good enough for me to finish quickly.

There were many deaths, some random, some stupid, but also there were some that were really touching, sad or awesome - those are worth remembering. And there was one that was just hilarious (Lupe LOL).

Uso was a good, gutsy and kind-hearted main character throughout the series. The supporting cast was generally good too, especially Marbet, Halo, Flanders, Odelo, Junko, Oliver.

The last arc was an entertaining ending to the series. I can't believe Odelo died, but Katejina lived. But I liked how Shakti pretended she didn't know her, heh. The ending with Uso and the suriviving crew settling down and living peacefully in Kasarelia felt good and earned after everything they went through.

It's hard to rate the series, because of the slow beginning (a 4 for me) and better second half (5-6). I guess I'll give it 6.
Sep 30, 2022 4:59 AM

Mar 2017
I haven't read the comments here and I haven't read/watched any criticisms of Victory Gundam yet, but coming off the show I seriously don't understand the hate I've seen for this series. It's not as clean as 0079 and it doesn't hit reach the quality of that Zeta does at its peak but it was still thoroughly enjoyable the entire way through. The only bad episodes were the recaps in my opinion. There were some boring episodes here and there, but overall Victory Gundam left me with a feeling I haven't felt since the first time I saw Zeta. The fact this series is rated similarly to F91 and ZZ is a joke. This series is so far beyond those that it's unreal.

I'll definitely be looking into other opinions about this show but I'm confused by why people are so down on it. All the major complaints I've seen so far apply to most of the other Gundam media I've seen so far, and those are reviewed really well. There are definitely bad things about it, like the way the first 4 episodes are structured and one really bad subplot. Those aside, the majority of the show was surprisingly good.

Overall I found this show really engaging, emotional powerful and entertaining. I also really liked a lot of the ways it changed things up from previous UC entries with things like how the final story arc plays out. I'd rate it my 3rd favourite Gundam TV series behind 0079, with Zeta as my favourite. I almost never post comments here but I felt this show warranted some praise given the bad reputation it seems to have. I look forward to finishing off the last bits of UC Gundam I have left.
Sep 14, 2023 8:33 PM
Nov 2018
Uh wtf was that ending lol?? I guess Shakti mind wiped everybody...sure I guess. Victory Gundam overall was a huge slog to finish, so I'm very glad I don't have to watch this anymore. Last 10 episodes were cool, but everything else was a mixed bag for me. Uso is one of the better UC protagonists though, so that's cool I guess.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Episode 50 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Jan 10, 2009

32 by Ten »»
Apr 18, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Episode 47 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Jan 10, 2009

13 by Ten »»
Apr 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

llxwarbirdxll - Apr 7, 2009

23 by Ten »»
Apr 17, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Jan 4, 2009

19 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Mar 23, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Episode 31 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Jan 4, 2009

23 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Mar 23, 9:44 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.