Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 23, 2013 4:42 PM

Jul 2007
Slimek said:
I don't think that any of the English voice actors suited any of the characters. Go for the subs, always do.

Are you kidding me man, no one in this world can hold long high pitch vocals like Sean Schemmel

Jul 28, 2013 3:05 AM

May 2010
Just for overall quality I have to stick with the subbed version for DBZ. The dub really was all over the place. The dub started off being chopped up and edited horribly (season 1 and 2 FUNi/Saban era), and then turned into a really bad amateur imitation of the previous version except with significantly less edits and an uncut release(season 3). After that dub slowly started getting it's shit together especially in the buu saga.

The redone voice work in the Ultimate Uncut and "Remastered" version are a marginal improvement at best really. The dub has it's ups and downs, but the japanese version just comes off as more professional and more consistent as a whole.

Finally though I have to say Masako Nozawa is fantastic and fits both Son Goku and Gohan perfectly.
Chuck9999Jul 29, 2013 2:53 AM
Jul 28, 2013 7:17 PM

Oct 2010
Both, watch it in English if you don't want to focus all of your energy on reading the subs. Or watch it in Japanese. They're both great!

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Sep 24, 2013 10:25 PM

Sep 2013
Subbed...seriously.

The English dub simply takes a dump on the series and you will get lost trying to figure out some of the plot with the personalities given in the American dub, personalities comparable to 10 year old kids.
Oct 30, 2013 4:16 AM

Jul 2010
Subbed and avoid KAI, seriously, their OST was freaking bad.
Oct 30, 2013 4:17 AM

Oct 2013
Goku's original voice annoys the fuck out of me.
Railroad switch
Jun 10, 2014 7:43 PM

Dec 2011
I'm one of those guys who will say 99.999% of the time to just watch original audio with subtitles.

BUT - DBZ is the mother fucking exception, and shame on anyone who tries to put down the dub of this if they haven't even seen it. The voice actors are manlier, the villains more monsterous and maniacal, and very importantly the Faulconer soundtrack is amazing for this anime and completely owns the original soundtrack, no contest.

Another good point is that it's an action anime, and it's really convenient to be able to actually watch this without having to read the subtitles 24/7 for once. Basically, we miss nothing.

My last main point is I fucking hate Goku's Japanese voice actor. Every time I see his big ass on screen with the little girl voice it's like listening to nails on chalkboard.

So yes, I'm an elitist fuck who says Subs are better than Dubs always. EXCEPT FOR DRAGON BALL Z!

That's my opinion at least.

CNile said:
and instead watch something worth while, like Citizen Kane perhaps?

Wow, you're so amazingly cultured and refined! Where did you attend film school? Turtleneck Snobs University?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Nov 2010
LayedBack said:
Another good point is that it's an action anime, and it's really convenient to be able to actually watch this without having to read the subtitles 24/7 for once. Basically, we miss nothing.
DBZ isn't a big talking anime. Like you said, it's an action anime. Simple dialouge, yelling doesn't need subtitles, just normal taunting during fights.
Jun 10, 2014 10:49 PM

Dec 2011
You're right, it's got less dialogue than many anime but on the flip side action has faster motions that are easier to miss. As much as we hate to admit it, we do tend to miss little bits of animation and art while watching subtitles. It's just something we're okay with because it has to be that way. It's a small sacrifice for quality. But with Dragonball Z, it doesn't have to be that way.

Anyway, it's a small issue. The other points I brought up are much more important to me, though they may be subjective. Personally, DBZ is kinda like a watered down Hokuto no Ken on the 'manliness meter', with extra fantasy to make up for it. And to me, it was a huge mood killer to watch the main character, a big muscle-bound dude, have the voice of a little girl. Whilst the English dub voices have always seemed more appropriate to me for almost all of the characters in this anime. Sure, it might be a little cheesy, but that's okay. Because they suit the mood just right.
LayedBackJun 10, 2014 10:54 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2014 7:31 PM

Dec 2011
So I was just thinking, and I forgot to mention one really important thing that might likely change people's minds on which dub to watch.

See the thing is, currently the only way to watch the English dub with Faulconer's music, is to go with one of FUNimation's dvd releases that unfortunately has been cropped, and the color has been butchered. So basically it looks nothing like the original version. (they also did the same thing with their more recent Bluray release)

So the best we can get as English dub fans is to just watch the Dragon Box with English Audio and Japanese soundtrack for now, unfortunately. I've been exploring the option of possibly splicing the audio track with faulconer's music onto a Dragonbox video release. But I'm not sure how viable it is. What I do know is I plan to rewatch Dragon Ball Z once I'm done with Dragon Ball again, and I'm quite concerned with having to sacrifice so much to listen to the music I like.
Aug 7, 2015 7:22 AM
May 2015
who_dat_ninja said:
el_putazo said:
Why?
That's why.
I dont know why Funi would go and mess with a perfectly good dub!! Why, just so Monica Rial could have a role!??
The old funi dub dumbed down dialogues, altered character's personalities, added in pop culture references and having actors that had NO ideas what they were doing. And what's wrong with Monica? She doesn't make bulma sound like a valley girl unlike tiffany.
Aug 7, 2015 7:31 AM
May 2015
Go10 said:
Subbed and avoid KAI, seriously, their OST was freaking bad.
How was Kai's most "bad"?
Jun 13, 2016 3:27 AM

Apr 2014
I'd say go for the sub. I just re-watched some of the greatest DBZ moments both in sub and dub. I feel like english dub takes away some of the charm that DBZ has. To me, it feels a lot different in english dub (in a bad way).
themanualreader@proton.me
Jul 18, 2016 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
I've been crushing through Dragonball and Dragonball Z subbed. Occasionally for a minute or so I switch to the English audio channel and laugh and how truly fucking awful it sounds.
Aug 9, 2016 10:52 PM
Aug 2016
DBZ dub is kinda bad, but the music is freaking awesome.
May 4, 2017 10:42 AM

Mar 2016
Subbed, because if I'm not mistaken I think that DBZ Dubbed is known for changing the original source material...
May 20, 2017 3:38 PM

Jan 2016
I recommend dub but you do you.
May 30, 2017 3:40 AM

May 2017
What the fuck? Lots of dumbasses around here, not being able to express their opinion decently, without calling anyone who has a different opinion names or implying that their taste is the best taste in the world and there shouldn't be any other.

Why am I not surprised at all?

I am usually a 'Japanese with subs' fan and I watched almost all animes in Jap because I hate Dubs and Japanese gives anime its originality. However, DBZ is a total exception. The English dubbing they made on DBZ is not bad at all, the voices are more manly as someone here mentioned. Also in Japanese version, Goku, the main character, is voiced by a freakin' FEMALE. An old lady. I don't have anything against her, but seriously, Goku may be supposed to be childish, still he is ripped and his testosterone levels must be high rocketing in those muscles, he doesn't have boobs and pussy ffs.
As much of a Japanese fan I might be, after watching lots of episodes in dub and then tried Jap, it was freakin' cringy for me to hear Goku with a female's voice, it's something I couldn't get through. My ears almost bled. It might be the sole reason I wouldn't recommend anyone the subbed version.
But then again, it's just a matter of personal tastes. I, myself, prefer DUBBED, so if you also hate to hear Goku with a female seyuu or maybe you're just the type who is a slower reader and prefer to watch the action instead of reading the subs, go for the DUBBED version. If not, and these things don't really bother you and you want full authenticity, go with subbed I guess.
The mindfucker.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 122 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Oct 11, 2010

27 by GeoRush »»
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
Apr 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Apr 24, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.