Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 19, 2013 7:55 PM
Jun 2012
Oh, and then there was that whole pesky "end of the world" thing. But thats not important!
Jun 19, 2013 9:52 PM

Jan 2011
6/10 honestly first series i've seen in a while when till the very end i never fully understood what it was about not sure if it was of lack of knowledge or the fact that i didn't care to much orrr they just didn't explain it well.

maybe this show wasn't for me in my books weakest from PA that i have seen.
Jun 19, 2013 10:20 PM

Sep 2012
Mich666 said:
This was horrible! It was so painful to watch that I wanted to drop it many times yet I was hoping that maybe.. it gets better. But my hopes were in vain.

And that conclusion? Saved by mobile phone! Nothing was resolved, noone was punished, everyone was happy now and ghosts went home.. yay! There was no sense of continuity, things "just happened" on behalf of no logic. Literally nothing made sense in RDG!

There was promising start but after that we only got this incoherent, really bad story that left us with so much plot holes and unexplained things I can't even count them. But those dialogues were the worst and this anime was so badly written I almost wanted to scream sometimes.

Only thing that was done good was animation. But that alone isn't enough to save it.

In the end I am left with bitter aftertaste of needless series. It was total waste of my time.

No doubt the worst anime I have seen this year, 3/10.

I am really glad this is over now and I hope there would be no sequel to this.

This basically sums up how I feel about this series.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jun 20, 2013 12:11 AM

Jan 2012
finally.....!!!! those two are so sweet~~~
Jun 20, 2013 3:11 AM
Oct 2007
The anime was pretty to look at, but didn't seem to really go anywhere. Her whole effect on electronics hasn't even been hardly mentioned since the first few eps and now all of a sudden it is central to the plot again. Would have given it a 5, but gave it a 6 because of the nice animation
Jun 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
I don't know, the episode itself was really good, and worked well as an "end of arc".
But it feels too open to be the last episode of an entire series.

Does Izumiko become one with the goddess (if she isn't already, I'm not sure)?
Do they manage to save humanity from the Wrath of the Goddess?
What's up with Miyuki's dad?
Does Masumi try to approach Izumiko again?
And Izumiko's mother, will she ever meet her daughter again?

Are those questions left open by the end of the novels as well? It feels as if aSoIaF/GoT ended and winter was yet to come...
TulicloureJun 20, 2013 12:56 PM
Jun 20, 2013 12:18 PM

Nov 2012
yey yeah! last episode.. this is awesome XD

what?! miyuki fighting those ghosts? lol XD
btw yamanagi became a dog lol XD

btw kinda weird when the spirit or ghost in festival is out.. :/

well I cant say too much.. it just amazing.. and it has a happy good ending.. love it so much :3

hmm... in the miyuki sleep on izumiko's shoulder XD
Jun 20, 2013 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
Mich666 said:
This was horrible! It was so painful to watch that I wanted to drop it many times yet I was hoping that maybe.. it gets better. But my hopes were in vain.

And that conclusion? Saved by mobile phone! Nothing was resolved, noone was punished, everyone was happy now and ghosts went home.. yay! There was no sense of continuity, things "just happened" on behalf of no logic. Literally nothing made sense in RDG!

There was promising start but after that we only got this incoherent, really bad story that left us with so much plot holes and unexplained things I can't even count them. But those dialogues were the worst and this anime was so badly written I almost wanted to scream sometimes.

Only thing that was done good was animation. But that alone isn't enough to save it.

In the end I am left with bitter aftertaste of needless series. It was total waste of my time.

I couldn't agree more. Now if only they sold "I survived Red Data Girl 2013" shirts, those would sell like hot cakes. Gave it a 3/10 as well.
Jun 20, 2013 10:52 PM

Jul 2009
...yeah
w/e lol.
dont even know what to say. it was... ok? bad? badly ok? lol. at least the chars/backgrounds were pretty.
Jun 20, 2013 10:54 PM

Nov 2012
minuetto said:

EDIT: Today's end card of ep 12 is very cute :)

lol XD idk why.. but I'm so happy seeing this end card XDDD

Mich666 said:

BITCH! FUCK YOU! JUST DONT WATCH IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT!!
Jun 21, 2013 12:11 AM

May 2013
@Tulicloure If you go through the discussions in this thread and those of ep11, you will find answers for all of your questions.

I even posted a short summary of volume 6 in ep 11 discussion thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=605221&show=20#msg22315033

And if you're still confused:

Tulicloure said:
Does Izumiko become one with the goddess (if she isn't already, I'm not sure)?

How should I explain this? Well, Izumiko's power as Himegami is awakened during the school festival as we have seen in the anime but at this point in the story Yukariko is still a vessel for Himegami

We know that Himegami is a person from the future. Actually, Himegami is Izumiko's future self.

Izumiko had extraordinary high spiritual power. Many desired her power and because of this she ended up destroying all humans including herself. At the moment her body was destroyed, she found that she traveled back to thousand generations in the past. During her 'thousand of generations' journey, she was called by/obtained many names such as '11 Faced Kannon' and 'Himegami' is the name used among Yamabushis.

The second Izumiko was killed and used as specimen. Even though she was declared 'World Heritage' and as the result, her brain and ovaries were preserved, the destruction of humanity couldn't be avoided.

Finally here we have the third Izumiko whom this show is all about. Her braids (to seal her power), the establishment of Houjou Academy, Students that she met at this academy, and especially the existence of Miyuki are new to Himegami. (That's why Himegami is especially interested in Miyuki.)

Tulicloure said:
Do they manage to save humanity from the Wrath of the Goddess?

Tulicloure said:
What's up with Miyuki's dad?

Yukimasa is a part of Yamabushi Network and is very loyal to Yukariko (Izumiko's mother). He would do anything according to Yukariko's wish even if he has to die for her.

We might see him a bit too mean to Miyuki but that's because he knows Miyuki too well and thus knows how to effectively motivate/push his son.

Tulicloure said:
Does Masumi try to approach Izumiko again?

First of all, please note that Masumi isn't a villain and has never been one.

Tulicloure said:
And Izumiko's mother, will she ever meet her daughter again?

Since the anime series is officially over, I think I might not come back to this thread anymore :)
minuettoJun 21, 2013 12:58 AM
Jun 21, 2013 12:55 AM

Mar 2013
I'm really thinking of lowering my score for this from 7 to an even lower number.

The show was sort of watchable. Great animation, but that's pretty much it. I can't really appreciate the story since I haven't read any of the novel. But none of the episodes left a lasting impression. Like many others noted, they never stuck with a plot device for too long. Maybe 12 episodes isn't enough. Also there was absolutely no connection between ANY of the characters at all.
Jun 21, 2013 1:23 PM

Jul 2009
It baffles me that this anime never explained anything. Not the "Red Data Girl" thing, not how they could stop the destruction of the world... They also never gave us time to remember the characters we ran in to, which made me just sit and wonder about who the fuck they where talking to.
They would have needed at least 24 episodes to make this a full fledged fantasy series, this short thing was too flat and disappointing.
The jokes and Izumiko's growth contributed to a couple of watchable episodes though, so it wasn't boring, just disappointing in the end.

I'll give this one 6/10 just because of the nice art and the fact that it didn't bore me while watching.
Jun 21, 2013 7:02 PM

Feb 2012
After 12 eps, I still have no idea wtf just happened.

This is worse than Sasami-san's first few eps, though atleast that show was fun to watch in the later eps and actually explained things in the process.

Overall, 4/10.
Jun 21, 2013 8:38 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty visuals. Wonderful music. Suzuhara is adorable. But, my God...that story. Way too much going on with nothing ever really getting sorted out just more and more stuff happening for *reasons*.

Idk. I kept hoping it was going to actually sort itself out but it was like several sub plots running all at once. This is also one of the few anime's where I honestly couldn't keep everyone's name straight. 6/10 unfortunately for a PA Works. Tari Tari was weak and now RDG. Sigh.

Edit: I'm glad after reading comments there everyone is left with a ? after watching this reading the plot.
Jun 21, 2013 9:21 PM

May 2009
I guess I'm one of a few that like this anime. But I can get why people dislike it.
Jun 21, 2013 9:46 PM

May 2010
Decent ending -__-

I'll give it 6/10
Jun 21, 2013 11:18 PM

Dec 2012
minuetto said:
Since the anime series is officially over, I think I might not come back to this thread anymore :)

Well, I guess you won't read this, but thanks for the explanations. :)
Jun 22, 2013 12:18 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Without reading explanations, which really do help clear up the story, I thought the plot was muddy and while it had a large scope, nothing at large was really solved. In other words, this felt just like the end of another arc, which is okay I guess.

I liked the lore around RDG, and there were some good characters, but ultimately, the fine art didn't pay out for me as I remember just how dull the plot was in the first few episodes, followed by this rather underwhelming but conclusive ending.

7/10
Jun 22, 2013 2:32 AM

Oct 2012
wow that ending... 6/10

Jun 22, 2013 5:17 AM

Jul 2011
I have to admit that I was lost in some episodes but this last made somethings very clear, great art overall. I liked it.

7/10
Jun 22, 2013 5:42 AM

Sep 2012
xAvengerx said:
Mich666 said:
I couldn't agree more. Now if only they sold "I survived Red Data Girl 2013" shirts, those would sell like hot cakes. Gave it a 3/10 as well.
OGHelios said:
If you three all truly meant to say RDG is "worst anime you have seen this year" I wonder how many anime you have watched this year.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 22, 2013 6:19 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
xAvengerx said:
Mich666 said:
OGHelios said:
If you three all truly meant to say RDG is "worst anime you have seen this year" I wonder how many anime you have watched this year.

Date A Live, Devil Survivor 2 The Animation, Hataraku Maou-sama!, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Kakumeiki Valvrave, Mushibugyou, Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai, Shingeki no Kyojin, Suisei no Gargantia, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru, and a bit of Aku no Hana. I will admit though that Devil Survivor 2 The Animation is also a nominee for the worst anime i've seen this year.
Jun 22, 2013 6:28 AM

Sep 2012
^ Not many then.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 22, 2013 7:44 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
IZEROII said:

Edit: I'm glad after reading comments there everyone is most are left with a ? after watching this reading the plot.
Sorry, I felt the need to make a slight change ;)

symbv said:
^ Not many then.

Made me curious, so I checked. Not counting shows in progress, dropped or put on hold, my count of shows started and completed for the year is over 50 already. Maybe I need to find a hobby?
CratexJun 22, 2013 7:49 AM
Jun 22, 2013 7:58 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
^ Not many then.

Really now? I was sure that was a good amount of this year's anime so far, unless you were also talking about anime before 2013 that i've watched this year.
Jun 22, 2013 9:55 AM

Sep 2010
Well... That was underwhelming....

Started out pretty good then... just ... meh.....

6/10
Jun 22, 2013 10:52 AM

Nov 2011
6 from me as well. It was alright.
Jun 22, 2013 6:16 PM

Feb 2013
twonline said:
Well... That was underwhelming....

Started out pretty good then... just ... meh.....
Hey, no fair! I was gonna post that!

4/10 for me.
Jun 23, 2013 2:52 AM

Jun 2009
The plot didn't progress quite as well as I hope it would.

I really love it's art, easily one of the best I've seen.

Those with limited Japanese mythology knowledge are probably very confuse, as it's very different from western mythology.

Episode one really grabbed my attention, and I have much higher expectations for this show, it didn't meet it, not even close to meeting it actually.

Regardless, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Normally, shows like this will only get a 5 or less from me... But... I'll give it a biased 6/10 rating, I still really do enjoy the premise.

Dearly wishing for season 2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2013 7:13 AM

Dec 2011
it started out okay, the pacing was great (at first) and i got engrossed, but there was just something off about this anime. they could have done so much more.

i enjoyed it very much but when i stop and think about the entire thing i get all confused. what was really happening ;__;?

i still want an OVA / sequel.
♥(ノ´∀`)
Jun 23, 2013 7:19 AM

Sep 2012
xAvengerx said:
symbv said:
^ Not many then.

Really now? I was sure that was a good amount of this year's anime so far, unless you were also talking about anime before 2013 that i've watched this year.
Your list has 11 anime this season and none from the previous season. Just this season I am following 25-27 shows and around the same number for the previous season.

Jun 23, 2013 7:59 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
xAvengerx said:
symbv said:
^ Not many then.

Your list has 11 anime this season and none from the previous season. Just this season I am following 25-27 shows and around the same number for the previous season.

Good for you! Doesn't change the fact that i found this anime pretty boring and is my pick for worst anime of the year that i've watched so far. Which would you say is the worst of the year?
Avenger-senpaiJun 23, 2013 8:02 AM
Jun 23, 2013 8:21 AM

Sep 2012
xAvengerx said:
Good for you! Doesn't change the fact that i found this anime pretty boring and is my pick for worst anime of the year that i've watched so far. Which would you say is the worst of the year?
Won't change that fact of course as it depends very much on how many anime you watched given that you said it "the worst anime you have seen so far". And that is why I asked you how many anime you watched this year.

What is the worst of the year? A fair number I would rank below RDG, because although it has its weakness in storytelling, the story itself is not that bad, and the animation is very well done while the character design is competent too. And for this season I have found Zettai Bouei Leviathan, Arata Kangatari, and the latest Hayate to be less engaging than this one. I would also say I enjoy RDG more than, say, The Devil Survivor 2 in many ways. And then there are a bunch of shorter anime with really uninspiring animation, be it Miyakwa-ie no Kuupuku, Sparrow Hotel or Glass Kamen desuga etc etc. And for anime from last season, there were also quite a number of anime with sakuga not as well done as this anime, and story-wise not particularly more entertaining to watch, like Kotoura-san, Senran Kagura, DC III and even MaoYuu, and I am not counting the bunch of shorter anime in that Spring Season.

To me calling this anime "the worst of the year" is very puzzling, which is why I asked you what anime you've watched this year.
symbvJun 23, 2013 8:36 AM

Jun 23, 2013 8:28 AM

Nov 2012
xAvengerx said:
symbv said:
xAvengerx said:
symbv said:
^ Not many then.

what the fak? worst of the year..? wow bro.. you have cross the line too much :/
okay it is okay if you say this anime is bad.. but it is not worst -_-
let me ask you something.. do you have your own anime? if you have.. is it more better than RDG? tell me if you have one!

btw I'm understand not so many people dont like RDG but saying it is "worst of the year" is too much.. this anime is good for me.. if you dont like it, it's okay.. you dont have to say it is worst of the year.. :/
Jun 23, 2013 8:56 AM

Oct 2008
I was actually lost in there. I was after 2 things in watching this - The romance between Izumiko and Miyuki and another is the resolution about the himegami - well, with more emphasis to the former than the latter. So this series for me isn't that bad. I'm hoping for an OVA seeing that Episode 12 ended in Vol 5 whereas the novel ends at volume 6 with more Miyuki X Izumiko scenes and all about the himgami explained based on a summary I've read here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119806

Jun 23, 2013 8:57 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
xAvengerx said:
Won't change that fact of course as it depends very much on how many anime you watched given that you said it "the worst anime you have seen so far". And that is why I asked you how many anime you watched this year.

What is the worst of the year? A fair number I would rank below RDG, because although it has its weakness in storytelling, the story itself is not that bad, and the animation is very well done while the character design is competent too. And for this season I have found Zettai Bouei Leviathan, Arata Kangatari, and the latest Hayate to be less engaging than this one. I would also say I enjoy RDG more than, say, The Devil Survivor 2 in many ways. And then there are a bunch of shorter anime with really uninspiring animation, be it Miyakwa-ie no Kuupuku, Sparrow Hotel or Glass Kamen desuga etc etc. And for anime from last season, there were also quite a number of anime with sakuga not as well done as this anime, and story-wise not particularly more entertaining to watch, like Kotoura-san, Senran Kagura, DC III and even MaoYuu, and I am not counting the bunch of shorter anime in that Spring Season.

To me calling this anime "the worst of the year" is very puzzling, which is why I asked you what anime you've watched this year.

Well i'm the type of person that watches anime which seem like will be an enjoyable experience, RDG seemed like it had potential in the first few episodes but didn't deliver for me. I haven't bothered watching Sparrow Hotel and the others you mentioned because they didn't seem to have anything interesting that caught my eye. Arata Kangatari actually seemed like an interesting anime so i put it on hold to check out the manga since the anime would only be 12 episodes long yet the manga has published many chapters already. As for the last season i had many things going on irl so i didn't have the time to watch the new series. I really don't understand how "worst of the year" that i've watched so far is puzzling since 1. It's my opinion and 2. I'm saying worst of the year that "I" have watched so far, never indicated that it was the worst anime that has aired this year. If you don't agree then that's fine, but i don't see why there should be such a big deal made out of this xD

makarov52 said:

what the fak? worst of the year..? wow bro.. you have cross the line too much :/
okay it is okay if you say this anime is bad.. but it is not worst -_-
let me ask you something.. do you have your own anime? if you have.. is it more better than RDG? tell me if you have one!

btw I'm understand not so many people dont like RDG but saying it is "worst of the year" is too much.. this anime is good for me.. if you dont like it, it's okay.. you dont have to say it is worst of the year.. :/

Again, don't see how people don't understand the difference between saying "have watched" and "has aired." If I had meant to say it was the worst of the year then that would mean I would be saying that something like Train Heroes or Baku tech was better xD
Jun 23, 2013 9:10 AM

Sep 2012
xAvengerx said:
I really don't understand how "worst of the year" that i've watched so far is puzzling since 1. It's my opinion and 2. I'm saying worst of the year that "I" have watched so far, never indicated that it was the worst anime that has aired this year. If you don't agree then that's fine, but i don't see why there should be such a big deal made out of this xD
Perhaps because the word "worst" carries a strongly negative connotation? And I think there are no lack of anime that I would say less entertaining or less engaging than RDG? So I am puzzled as to where you came from and how you arrived at that statement, and I fully agree that at least you qualified it with "I have watched so far" which is something that many do not bother to use, and just say "worst of the year" even though we know they are talking the same thing. Yet there still remains the question of the basis and background behind that opinion you gave. Hence my original question.

Jun 23, 2013 9:30 AM

Mar 2012
symbv said:
xAvengerx said:
I really don't understand how "worst of the year" that i've watched so far is puzzling since 1. It's my opinion and 2. I'm saying worst of the year that "I" have watched so far, never indicated that it was the worst anime that has aired this year. If you don't agree then that's fine, but i don't see why there should be such a big deal made out of this xD
Perhaps because the word "worst" carries a strongly negative connotation? And I think there are no lack of anime that I would say less entertaining or less engaging than RDG? So I am puzzled as to where you came from and how you arrived at that statement, and I fully agree that at least you qualified it with "I have watched so far" which is something that many do not bother to use, and just say "worst of the year" even though we know they are talking the same thing. Yet there still remains the question of the basis and background behind that opinion you gave. Hence my original question.

Ok i see where this is going and i'm stopping it right here. This is really just another pointless argument on MAL due to someone making a big deal about an opinion someone made against an anime they liked and they won't stop until they have the last word because they're always right. Congratulations, you will have the last word because you are obviously right and i'm wrong. Now good day to you sir.
Jun 23, 2013 9:39 AM

Sep 2012
xAvengerx said:
Ok i see where this is going and i'm stopping it right here. This is really just another pointless argument on MAL due to someone making a big deal about an opinion someone made against an anime they liked and they won't stop until they have the last word because they're always right. Congratulations, you will have the last word because you are obviously right and i'm wrong. Now good day to you sir.
I am not saying you are wrong (where did I say that?) - I even said that it is your own personal opinion to say so and I just wanted to see where you came from to arrive at that conclusion. So when you want to voice an opinion, it is all very fine, but just spare a thought about what kind of phrases you want to use. If you want to call something "the worst I've ever seen", don't be surprised when someone comes to you and ask "so what you have seen and what makes it the worst compared to what you have seen?". That's all I want to tell you.
symbvJun 23, 2013 9:43 AM

Jun 23, 2013 10:34 AM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed the show too, not enough to buy it and I hope they make an OVA or movie of volume 6 but I liked it.
Jun 23, 2013 9:29 PM

Jul 2010
I am of the minority that absolutely loved RDG! I thought that the story telling was well done, giving out bits and pieces of the plot as it went along, while maintaining an intensity to the atmosphere that really made it shine. I am generally a fan of slice-of-life style story telling and the modern-fantasy genre in general. I found much of it similar to some of the "magical realism" stories that are common in Central American literature and movies, along the lines of "Like Water for Chocolate" in terms of its mood. (It has been years since I saw that movie, but there was something about the style of RDG that reminds me of it... don't know why.)

The main complaint I have with it is a feeling of incompleteness, since it doesn't resolve the story. I realize that is because they only covered the first five volumes of the novels, leaving a nice "movie sized" chunk of novel left unadapted. If they do a movie or series of OVAs to finish the story, that would be great. If not, I still loved it, but will feel disappointed.

Still, I give it a 10 because of the fantastic art and backgrounds, the impressive story, and mostly the constant sense of tension and atmosphere in the midst of a generally mundane style of story telling. The contradiction between the slice-of-life feel to each episode and the overarching sense of mystery and tension was wonderful.

For those of you who complain that it was hard to follow, I just want to say that my 12 year-old daughter didn't have any trouble following the plot and understanding what was going on throughout the season. Now, I will say that she is a rather extraordinary 12 year-old (As her father, I may be a bit biased LOL) but none-the-less, if a 6th grader can understand it, it shouldn't be that hard to follow. LOL It was a challenging story to follow, but the clues were all there. I did find that rewatching each episode helped a lot, which I did for each in order to preview it before my daughter watched, then watching it with her, then blogging about it later.
Jun 23, 2013 10:29 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Perhaps because the word "worst" carries a strongly negative connotation? And I think there are no lack of anime that I would say less entertaining or less engaging than RDG? So I am puzzled as to where you came from and how you arrived at that statement,

Perhaps because one has to factor in expectations when making a judgment?

One might argue that Suisei is "better" than Valvrave based on some "objective" detail, but if one thought that the first episode of Suisei was brilliant and the first episode of Valvrave was "eh", then in watching the series found that Vlavrave exceeded their expectations but Suisei didn't live up to their expectations, then Suisei to that person would legitimately be worse than Valvrave. Such an opinion would not be wrong.

Of course there are plenty of animes that could be worse than RDG, but for someone who doesn't watch those shows, it wouldn't matter. I am sure this season of "Generic Card Show Where Hero Ass Pulls a Rare Card That Had Never Been Mentioned Before" is objectively worse than RDG, but if that person never watched a GCSWHAPARCTHNBMB type show, its absolute "worseness" is irrelevant to that person.

Now I personally wouldn't rate RDG as the worse, Suisei for me has been the most disappointing, but if one can state why they disliked a show, then their opinion is valid. If their reason is stupid, then perhaps their opinion can be argued with.
Jun 23, 2013 11:43 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
but if one can state why they disliked a show, then their opinion is valid. If their reason is stupid, then perhaps their opinion can be argued with.
Precisely, if xAvengerx had said "Well i'm the type of person that watches anime which seem like will be an enjoyable experience, RDG seemed like it had potential in the first few episodes but didn't deliver for me." and then elaborated a bit more about the reason and the context, I guess I would not have raised that original question. At the end, if a person wants to call something "the worst I have ever seen this year" you might as well explain where the "worst" word comes from and how exactly this anime compares with what you have seen in this year so far. If RDG has a clearly atrocious production, be it contradictory story, outrageously off-character animation or screeching music, I guess no one would ask why you think RDG is "the worst", but RDG has really good and consistent animation and music, and there is no glaring flaws in the story -- slow pacing and unexplained mysteries are more like personal tastes, so what makes this RDG so bad that it becomes "the worst seen this year".
symbvJun 24, 2013 1:39 AM

Jun 24, 2013 1:34 AM

May 2013
Some people sent me messages asking questions about RDG. I think I will post of some of them here too.

Is Yukimasa a trustworthy person? In the show,he seems to plotting something.

He may look suspicious but we can trust him. Miyuki once told Yukimasa the same thing that Yukimasa is not a trustworthy person. Yukimasa simply replied something like 'as long as Yukariko trusts me, I don't care how others would think of me'

Who is Nakayama Mizuho and why does she abduct Izumiko (in Vol6)?

zensunni said:
I found much of it similar to some of the "magical realism" stories that are common in Central American literature and movies, along the lines of "Like Water for Chocolate" in terms of its mood. (It has been years since I saw that movie, but there was something about the style of RDG that reminds me of it... don't know why.)

I like this comment of yours. You know, when I read people's complaints about this show in this forums and others, I was thinking of the term 'magical realism'. 'Like Water for Chocolate' is one example from this genre (I love both its movie and book versions!). Another one, which is perhaps one of the most well-known titles, is 'One Hundred Years of Solitude'. How people describe RDG ( no plot, no logic, things just happen, and etc...) is close to a characteristic of this book (but the book got several prizes and not to mention that the author is a Nobel Prize winner in literature) LOL

However, RDG couldn't be categorized into 'magical realism' genre. It's certainly not one of them. I think P.A. Works just did a bad job as a storyteller and thus couldn't deliver a 'message' of the show to the audiences.

Fantasy + Self-Realization is Ogiwara-sensei's specialty. If any of you love RDG, I would recommend you to try 'Magatama series' which consists of three books by the same author. The first two book from this series were already translated into English: Dragon Sword and Wind Child ( 空色勾玉), Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (白鳥異伝). You would see many similarities btw Magatama series and RDG (talking crow, a dreamer taking another form, a vessel, ...) and they both also relies heavily on Japanese folklore. I saw book reviews (of Magatama series) from English readers particularly a Westerner, the books receive many positive comments and no one (as far as I saw) complains about their lack of understanding in Japanese culture/folklore ;)
minuettoJun 24, 2013 5:25 AM
Jun 24, 2013 3:13 AM

Feb 2011
2/5 - There's a lot I could say about how much potential this series had.

It ended up being borefest with limited exploration on critical themes and character development.
Jun 24, 2013 6:46 PM

Feb 2013
for the first time I thought i will become romance anime, I am glad my thought goes wrong, ,

well, miyuki X izumiko will become cute couple i think...
Jun 24, 2013 9:47 PM

Jun 2008
Started off pretty well but end with a ridiculous amount of BS with little things being explained. IT's sad because it has a lot of potential to be a good series. 5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2013 6:36 AM

Aug 2012
The last scene was really sweet but, but... I was waiting for the kiss, damn it ! xD

Overall, I enjoyed this series very much :D
Jun 25, 2013 10:07 AM

Feb 2013
I do not understand why people hate this anime so much. I thought it was great. I would really have liked to see more, 12 episodes seems short for such a complicated story, but sometimes that's how it works out, you can't always get what you want.

But for real, like....people hated this?? I thought it was great, what the fuck is your problem? What could you actually hate about this, other than the aforementioned too short portion of it, which is usually the fault of the production company, or the studio that made it, or whoever decided that it was only going to be 12 episodes. I'm sure the creator of this wanted it to be longer, but money is always a factor, and shitty people will take a great thing and change it to fit their own interests.

I think they did as good of a job as they could to tell the story as best as they could in 12 episodes.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» This anime was horrible

Olwen - Jun 16, 2013

33 by Warchiii »»
Jul 19, 2023 5:59 AM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2013

133 by Hanemiyakazutora »»
Dec 12, 2021 8:20 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2013

82 by Stardew »»
Jul 5, 2021 2:37 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

89 by Stardew »»
Jul 3, 2021 11:56 PM

Poll: » RDG: Red Data Girl Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2013

209 by Stardew »»
Jul 1, 2021 8:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.