3It was OK
13.9%
2Disliked it
1.5%
1Hated it
1.3%
Average 4.4
474 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 4, 2013 8:42 PM

Feb 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's time
May 4, 2013 8:44 PM

Nov 2012
gedata said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
It's time
For?
May 4, 2013 8:45 PM

Feb 2013
gedata said:
Alexx_ said:
gedata said:
It's time
For?

Ant invasion
May 4, 2013 8:50 PM

Jun 2012
Interesting episode, I liked the rearranging and adding of some scenes Madhouse did. I can see what they did in this episode enhancing some later plot developments particularly with Colt, the drug DD, and Pokkle/Ponzu but that's just me...

Already imagining people crying "FILLER SUX MADHOUSE FAILS" Seeing the Chimera Ants learning more about the world and themselves as human/insect hybrids was touched upon in the source but expanded here with Gyro, Names, and Military formations

Witnessing humans rounded up like livestock will always be creepy no matter how many times I see it. Shit's about to hit the fan soon... Even the narrator says our trio has a cruel fate lying in wait : P

Ah that last conversation between Gon and Killua helps solidify some motivations which was sorely needed in this adaption. Gon decides he won't run away if worst comes to worst in NGL because he'll feel like he's not only letting Kite down but Ging too and we all know how much Gon's pride means to him
HybridMBLMay 4, 2013 11:43 PM
May 4, 2013 9:03 PM

Feb 2013
Hybridbloodszak said:
Can already imagine people crying "FILLER SUX MADHOUSE FAILS" Seeing the Chimera Ants learning more about the world and how it works was touched upon in the source but expanded upon here with Gyro, Names, or Military formations

It's good filler, but it's keeping me from seeing the part where I was really sold on this arc, which looks like it'll be next week judging from the preview. Get hype.
May 4, 2013 9:14 PM

Mar 2012
Ponzo!
May 4, 2013 9:22 PM

Mar 2013
FUCK,those ants are too creepy,they disturb me greatly.Next week looks like it's speeding up the pace a bit since it showed those 3 ants which appear in 192 and we're at the start of 189.Can't wait to get past the part where I stopped reading.Shit gets REAL starting next episode.
May 4, 2013 9:23 PM
Jul 2012
Oh shit Ponzu, and the other dude from the Hunter exam is back. The ants are pwning everyone too. Nothing really happened in this episode except for ant development. Oh well. Next ep looks promising.
May 4, 2013 9:27 PM

Dec 2010
I thought it was a great episode, pretty violent and intense. The chimera ant that was born from Kurt is interesting, I wonder if he'll name himself Kurt or something? Can't wait for next episode.
May 4, 2013 9:30 PM
Sep 2012
Nice so all this talk built up to how the ants are now acting more individually because of their human sides, I like that. Maybe it'll cause problems with the ant side

Nice to see Pokkle again :) hope he learned Nen
May 4, 2013 9:39 PM

Oct 2011
After having 3 weeks to reflect, I think that this episode's scene with Gon and Killua really helped solidify later events. I think the way Madhouse handled the Kaito stuff will end up working out so I'm not really concerned anymore.

Solid episode, still not much has happened yet but we're getting there. Each episode has covered a good amount of material but it doesn't feel like it. I personally feel like this arc is a slow starter but it's working it's way through with a pretty decent pace so far.

NGL should start next week so things should get intreresting rather quickly.
May 4, 2013 9:47 PM
Feb 2012
I think they are doing a good job with the fillers but I hope they don't end up
cutting out a lot of stuff like they did in Yorknew.

A lot of this filler is stuff explained later in the series but I think it fit well here
and it will likely make those later episodes flow better. They won't have to stop
to explain what this or that is since we'll already know from this episode.
May 4, 2013 9:54 PM

Nov 2012
Just wondering did Gyros men also appeared in the manga?
May 4, 2013 10:04 PM
Feb 2012
Alexx_ said:

I'm pretty sure we don't. Their fight was off panel.
May 4, 2013 10:09 PM
Oct 2008
They really are expanding on the intro to the whole arc but thats not necessarily bad, buildup is kinda needed as in the manga some events felt rushed needless to say people who havent read the manga keep watching this arc is dope
May 4, 2013 10:21 PM

Nov 2012
mrsticky005 said:
Alexx_ said:

Yeah I just checked, it didn't appear.

Ahh man I can't wait until this "cruel fate" happens.
May 4, 2013 10:28 PM
Nov 2012
Alexx_ said:
mrsticky005 said:
Alexx_ said:

I'm expecting the cruel fate to play with no music, and then after limbs have been torn, Chrollo's theme will play (same one after Gon loses his left hand vs Genthru) while a kid gets knocked out and dragged away. That arrangement would be enough to make me enjoy it.

Of course New OSTs are welcome.
May 4, 2013 10:31 PM

Jan 2009
so much death flags has been raised by this episode
May 4, 2013 10:32 PM

Nov 2012
Ruii said:
Alexx_ said:
mrsticky005 said:
Alexx_ said:

I'm expecting the cruel fate to play with no music, and then after limbs have been torn, Chrollo's theme will play (same one after Gon loses his left hand vs Genthru) while a kid gets knocked out and dragged away. That arrangement would be enough to make me enjoy it.

Of course New OSTs are welcome.
Ohh man I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.
May 4, 2013 11:11 PM

Jan 2011
So i take it the time for Gon's selfishness will get the better of him soon? because i have a feeling hes gonna be regretting those last few words he said :(.
May 4, 2013 11:51 PM

Jul 2010
They HAVE to add some filler abilities for Pokkle; I mean they did add fillers to explain the current universe, they have to least add some more
for him.
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
May 4, 2013 11:55 PM
Jun 2010
Awesome. I'm loving the filler scenes. I was disappointed with the bs they did with Gon/Kite earlier on but I think it's all piecing together rather nicely provided the filler of Gon's determination to Kite and Ging. I like that they're giving Ponzo and Pokkle filler time and what they did with Gyro's men. Kurt seeing his mother was also a good filler although I found it a bit sad that he led the ants to kill and eat his own village members.

All in all, pretty awesome episode.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
May 5, 2013 12:17 AM

Nov 2011
Weird arc is weird.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 5, 2013 12:20 AM
Mar 2012
Bigbuffoon said:
They HAVE to add some filler abilities for Pokkle; I mean they did add fillers to explain the current universe, they have to least add some more
for him.

they should do what they did this episode, showing the fights instead of only reporting them, like the gun fight it wasn't shown in the manga it was just reported and there will be reports about pokkle too, they could animate them instead
May 5, 2013 12:37 AM
Apr 2013
I am loving what Madhouse is doing with this arc.

There was so much story that was left untold in the manga - so many things put in and quickly used, that while it worked left a bit to be desired. Madhouse has done well building character here, and I loved this episode.

While very much filler, they were tasteful with it. They expanded upon storylines and character that come in play later, giving us a better (I believe) story for each than the manga provided.

A lot of people have been waiting a long time to see this arc animated, so I hope that time waiting doesn't hurt their ability to see these episodes for what they are - really good anime. It is coming! While I want to get to some juicy stuff I know is ahead of us, I also want Madhouse to take their time and give us a great story. :D
May 5, 2013 1:11 AM

Dec 2010
its nice to see all those psychological aspects are coming out slowly and nicely...chimera ants arc in its upcoming chapters will be unfolding truly some new thought provoking and philosophical aspects which were never before shown in any shonens as far as i know about...
liked the concept of naming coming out from ants(its like they are learning about surrounding and cognitive thoughts are generating for the first time ( just like "tachikoma" the robot from gits )
overall good ep ..and man i love the arc building that madhouse doing, really feeling like we are about to enter a nightmare
headless_nickMay 5, 2013 1:22 AM
May 5, 2013 2:09 AM

Sep 2010
zoleth said:
I am loving what Madhouse is doing with this arc.

There was so much story that was left untold in the manga - so many things put in and quickly used, that while it worked left a bit to be desired. Madhouse has done well building character here, and I loved this episode.

While very much filler, they were tasteful with it. They expanded upon storylines and character that come in play later, giving us a better (I believe) story for each than the manga provided.

A lot of people have been waiting a long time to see this arc animated, so I hope that time waiting doesn't hurt their ability to see these episodes for what they are - really good anime. It is coming! While I want to get to some juicy stuff I know is ahead of us, I also want Madhouse to take their time and give us a great story. :D

Just agree with you. Although I could see the filler stuff compared to the parallel manga chapters, it is BOTH necessary AND enjoyable. Not wasted. Because some necessary points were just felt skipped in the manga. This way we can see and experience the side-details in a better way. Keep it up Madhouse!
After D.Gray-man, Hunter x Hunter is a really promising and qualified anime for me.
May 5, 2013 2:14 AM
Apr 2013
That mother is so hot, I want to help her make kids
May 5, 2013 2:35 AM

Jan 2008
Useful fillers. That's something new in shounen manga adaptations.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
May 5, 2013 2:46 AM

Jun 2012
Mellow episode. The ants are very human-like, seeking individuality. Hopefully Gon and Killua can encounter them next episode, get things moving along!
May 5, 2013 2:50 AM

Oct 2012
it's still ok, now. but they will become nightmare if they learn

May 5, 2013 3:05 AM
Feb 2013
Filler done right.

Good episode expanding on the mental growth of the ants, prelude to all the fights between our heroes and the enemies and the birth of the
May 5, 2013 3:08 AM

Oct 2012
Arrow man is back
May 5, 2013 3:41 AM

Sep 2012
Good filler, I thought I would never see that in a shounen adaptation. Great job from Madhouse.
May 5, 2013 4:03 AM

Mar 2013
who is Gyro ?
May 5, 2013 4:53 AM

Dec 2009
Madhouse is doing a great job expanding on this arc. I seriously would like to know if Togashi guided them in some way.

Next episode is where things should speed up. At least I hope so.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 5, 2013 5:03 AM

Feb 2011
So, this episode confirmed a couple things for me.

1. The ants retain small bits of memories, and characteristics from their prior human self. (which makes no sense to me considering the person was chewed up, but w.e)

2. Kite's probably going to die. His death is being overly foreshadowed it feels like.

3. I'm wondering how the queen came to receive human genes. The way she spoke of it, she wasn't well aware, so im assuming it was a prior queen.
May 5, 2013 5:07 AM
Sep 2011
Oh great, a whole country of Jehovah's Witnesses!!!

I think last weeks episode was a slow burner, since I didn't like it much when I first saw it, but the more I thought about it the better I thought it was.
First I have to admit that I screwed up - when I heard Ponzu was coming back I actually confused her with the cooking hunter from the hunter exam, which I commented on(in spoiler tags) in the last episode after I heard she was coming back.
Something curious I noticed was that by looking at the generals, a lot of them I actually don't recognise from the opening. I think that is implying that they are either going to be replaced soon by stronger ants, or that they're going to die off. Maybe. Maybe not.

It looks like next week the show may pick up the pace, although the generals don't look that tough considering one was scared off by a gun. A gun. I remind you that in a previous arc one of the villains took a rocket launcher to the face!
edl01May 5, 2013 6:02 AM
May 5, 2013 5:51 AM

Mar 2012
dunno why, too hard for me to call this a filler.

5/5 Madhouse.
May 5, 2013 6:11 AM

Apr 2013
Great episode. I think it's great how all the ants are reading books and learning about humans. Shit's gonna go down next ep judging by the narration :P
May 5, 2013 7:00 AM

Feb 2013
anyone until which chapter this covered?
May 5, 2013 7:01 AM

Feb 2012
gedata said:
anyone until which chapter this covered?

It was just chapter 188.
May 5, 2013 8:00 AM

Apr 2012
The building of an Ant Army, Getting Names, NGL and The Promise. Pretty much sums up what went on in this episode. The Ants seem to be getting more individuality thanks to their human blood. Pokkle and Ponzu as well as Team Kite make plans to enter NGL in search of the Chimera Ants.

Can't wait for next episode.
May 5, 2013 8:06 AM
Nov 2009
damnn, they did miss some parts from the manga but over 20 chapters adapted in 3 episodes and judging from the preview, the next episode is gonna be good. I really like this adaption so far.
May 5, 2013 8:08 AM

Jun 2009
So, the bit with the ants wanting names and learning about Humans wasn't in the manga? Kind of sounds like an improvement, because I found that pretty interesting stuff.

I liked this episode, it seems to lay a lot of the groundwork for the rest of the arc. Which is a great sign of good story telling.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 5, 2013 8:11 AM

Feb 2013
insan3soldiern said:
So, the bit with the ants wanting names and learning about Humans wasn't in the manga? Kind of sounds like an improvement, because I found that pretty interesting stuff.

that part with the names was. The gun battle was originally offscreen, and the drugs part was given a more in-depth look in the anime, so I agree that this was an improvement
gedataMay 5, 2013 11:17 AM
May 5, 2013 9:02 AM

Dec 2011
I really can't wait when the ant starts the invasion completely.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2013 9:16 AM

Jul 2010
Nice episode. Great set up, I'm itching to watch more. The chimera ants and the queen still disgust me to no end. But I feel a little towards them now because of their human emotions, especially when the squadron leader who was created from the little boy and girl passed over his mom. I'm happy they mentioned those kids, I really felt bad for them. And it's interesting how all the ants are adapting human ways of thinking as well as physical traits. It gives them a little more personality rather than eat eat, kill kill, reproduce reproduce xD (But only a little, I still want Gon and Killua to beat them up. <3 Can't wait to fangirl during that fight. xD)

Also, still can't help but compare this to the Cell arc in DBZ. I really think Hunter x Hunter got some ideas from DBZ.

Anyways, this arc is a lot darker than usual, and I wonder how it is going to turn out. There's a lot of foreshadowing that something is going to happen to Kite. I have a prediction that he'll die...but not sure yet. Maybe Gon will save him somehow according to his speech. :) I don't think anyone important in Hunter has died yet, so if someone does it will be interesting to see its effect on Gon.

ConfirmPassword said:
That mother is so hot, I want to help her make kids
O__O.....No comment lol.

I can't wait for next week, omg. T___T But at the same time I don't want this week to start because of AP Exams lolz.

5/5 - Perfect!!!

Edit: I just read the previous posts, and found out that this was a filler and wasn't in the manga. That's crazy to me, it was perfect and blended so well. I could never have guessed. I have such a bad impression of shounen fillers because of Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc., but HxH really knows how to do it. I'm pretty amazed. Other studios should learn from Madhouse.
fishergirl16May 5, 2013 9:26 AM
May 5, 2013 9:49 AM

May 2013
Yeah the filler in this episode was awesome. It almost makes me wish they hadn't go so fast with the previous arcs and shown some things that were offscreen in the manga (like Shadow Beasts vs Phantom Troupe).

Oh well... Guess Madhouse was as excited as I was about this arc xD
May 5, 2013 9:59 AM

Feb 2012
Good episode, kinda hurt my heart seeing the little boy thinking about his mom
Cant wait to see badass moments of Killua in this arc
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
5 hours ago

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.