Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Apr 25, 2016 9:29 PM
Nov 2014
This anime seems to be a hit or miss. Many people don't like it because of the fluctuating art and plot quality, some jokes are over-exaggerated, etc... But overrall it's really well-done, and i will unhesitatingly give it a 8.
May 28, 2016 11:31 AM

Dec 2014
the last episode ....... the feels

everything summed up pretty nicely ... Too me it seemed Aika was the real protagonist of the show.... everything was for her and because of her.....
Jun 25, 2016 11:39 PM

Feb 2016
At least they were able to wrap it up and explain the most parts. During the episode I was asking myself what the hell happened to samon, he was the first antagonist and now he looked like the butler of everyone.

Aika's deception towards the end was hilarious. I am still surprised how the author decided to let a side character like hanemura who's been just recently introduced, save the world instead of one of the 'heroes'.
Sep 21, 2016 11:40 AM

Feb 2016
Holy. Fuck. Like, really, damn. I don't know how to put this anime into words, since I don't really know what I'm supposed to think of it myself. Honestly, I liked it. I really liked it. One of the best anime I've watched yet, definitely. But damn - It was just so depressing all along. And at the same time quite sweet, too. I can't decide whether I should feel sad or happy about this, what the fuck. It's just so... bittersweet?

The ending... Well, I guess that's what you call a happy ending? Don't get me wrong - I'm the first person who wants a happy ending, and the last one who wants a sad ending (Even though I often keep imagining dark kinds of endings myself... No idea why. But still. I don't like sad endings at all.), but, in a way, I think that an ending where (only) Yoshino kills himself would have been better. And, really, I can't decide whether the anime was too sad, or not sad enough.

(PS: And, FFS, I don't get why happy ends have to be so short. If you already make a happy ending, make a fucking epilogue or something. If the creators already ship that princess Hazawhateva girl and Yoshino (Which I honestly didn't. But it's all right.), then at least put in a few more minutes about their future life. I don't know, marriage or something. Whatever, really. But at least something. Now it feels like a sad end and not a happy end, for some reason. Anyway, the way they did the end actually was quite nice. I still think that a sad ending would maybe have been more fitting, but at least it doesn't feel as rushed, incomplete, or bad as other endings.)

So, yeah. I really liked that anime. The characters were quite epic - Especially their relationship with eachother. Yoshino x Aika romance, Yoshino/Haribo (Sorry, but I'm not good with names. Especially not with foreign sounding ones.) bro-relationship, etc. I really liked that part. The plot was nice too, even though some people point out all the plotholes. But, frankly, I don't care. This anime somehow makes me feel that the important part isn't the plot at all, but the development of the characters. And that was nicely done.

AND, HURRAY, AN ACTION ANIME WITH AN ACTUAL EXISTING ROMANCE SIDE-STORY INSTEAD OF STUPID HINTS ONLY?! THEY EXIST? THEY EXIIIST?! NO WAY! FINALLY!

Now I need an anime that is maybe a little less sad, but still has great characters, action, and, please, actual romance in it. That would be nice. (Well... Actually I'd need to work, but...)
Oct 22, 2016 9:25 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
The ending figthing scene was not really anything original, the sword of exodus appearing from nowhere, so that they could save the day... still, I m glad they reserved so much time for showing the cast afterwords, Hakaze was really doing her own thing (being extremely cute and adorable), the gang is setting up to live on this new world, things get resolved, both Mahiro and Yoshino pay they prayers one last time to Aika, and her final farewell being such a troll suits her so well. RIP Aika.

It is beautiful, a heartwarming conclusion, despite the fact they couldnt save Aika in the end, seeing them ready to move on, while still respecting Aika, and mainly Yoshino proceeding with his life felt gratifying.
Too bad Bones cut right when both of them were getting prepared for some doki doki moments, but I imagine they got together, and the manga has some extras chapters to develop this point, so I will make sure to read them.

Final thoughs, bromance was kinda cool, both MCs shared a very interesting relation between them, nothing too yaoi to be annoying, first half had alot of twists and fast paced plotlines developing, non stop, was like an awesome thriller with some cool battle of wits, and the later half had a different feel to it, that I also came to enjoy, it developed Hakaze more, and managed to be very interesting and deliver in a conclusion that leaves you pleased inside.
Good job Bones. 8.7
PlaycoolOct 23, 2016 6:55 AM
Dec 16, 2016 4:45 PM

Sep 2015
That was a beautiful ending. No one died and the aftermath shows the daily lives sorta. Wish it was longer for each person. Lol the trolling by Aika in the vid. That was an relaxing speech by Mahiro at Aika's grave. Im kinda glum there was no kiss shown between them but who cares we can all prob imagine what happened.
Jan 15, 2017 7:24 PM

Nov 2014
Aika's expression just before she turned off the camera was the saddest thing ever. She probably didn't want to say goodbye, but knew that she had to.

Overall, this show was top 20 material for me. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Watching the characters use inductive reasoning to challenge each other and understand their situations was impressive to watch.

8/10 overall.

Would have been a 9/10 with a kiss or hug.
Jan 23, 2017 1:43 AM

Mar 2014
Literally Tree of Might meets Idea of Evil.

7/10
Jan 27, 2017 7:26 AM

Jul 2014
Since my thread got deleted ^^ , I'd say this was a boring piss poor show. Snoozefest basically.

Blech.
Feb 24, 2017 3:34 AM

Oct 2015
It stated off great from episode 1 to 12 and then deteriorated from 14 onwards. The characters were shit all of them even Mahiro started to bore me. The Shakespear quotes from the tempest and hamlet made it worse because they over used them.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 1, 2017 12:21 PM
Dec 2016
Did yoshino and hakaze go out?
Mar 26, 2017 1:52 PM
Sep 2013
Kvng_Keundre said:
Did yoshino and hakaze go out?

They never dated. But will they date here on out? Well that is the implied ending.Yoshino has come to terms with Aika's death and her last wish was for them to move on. Thus it is pretty clear Yoshino X Hakaze ending. If you want more closure, Read the Manga ending.
AznAnime3Mar 26, 2017 1:57 PM
Apr 22, 2017 12:00 PM
Jan 2017
AMAZING ANIME, i honestly loved everything about it , although i wish we could have seen a little more about the characters'future, specially mahiro and yushino and there love lifes,but overall ill definitely give it a 10/10 loved it
May 30, 2017 4:16 PM
May 2017
Well, i dont know where to start... I dont even have the time to write this one, so Im trying to hold it short and crisp... It was more than just perfect- a masterpiece! Ive seen so many great animes but this one has reached something what others just try to strive for. An anime which requires you to think, to love and to feel with... just epic. I would have given 12/10 if it would be possible.
Jul 3, 2017 7:15 AM
Mar 2017
Ishikatsu said:
6/10. Quality of this series was very fluctuating, I remember being both glued to the screen (like during the logical "battle" between Yoshino and Samon) and rather bored (basically the second half). There were some jokes that made me laugh (like Hanemura accusing Mahiro of being a siscon), but most of the time, they were a bit underwhelming. And then there are the plotholes, underwhelming finale and lack of any subtlety. Still, it did hold my attention and when it was good, it was really good.

Know I'm commenting real late on this thread lmao but I completely agree. There are way too many plotholes and I hated how the show shoved random Shakespeare quotes into the script without really explaining more than the gist of Hamlet and the Tempest.
Jul 4, 2017 7:12 PM

Jul 2015
I liked it. I can see why many people were turned off by the second half, and it did sorta lose all the momentum it built up, but it was still pretty good until the end. At the ending, I'm still kinda salty that they didn't go further than just the reunion of both Hakaze and Yoshino, but oh well. I'm definitely going to miss the series. I really enjoyed the allusions to Shakespeare's plays as well.

Debating between a 8/10 or a 9/10, but I think I'll leave this with a 9/10. It was solid through and through and managed to keep my interest from beginning to end. Great anime.

caught in the wonder
Sep 14, 2017 4:30 AM
Apr 2017
Kerozinn said:
5/10 average. this sums up the whole anime for me. the ending was very underwhelming.
kinda fitting when i think about it.

im honestly glad its over tho..
thank god I thought I was the only one same 5/10
Sep 14, 2017 5:06 AM

May 2010
JayJaay16 said:
Kerozinn said:
5/10 average. this sums up the whole anime for me. the ending was very underwhelming.
kinda fitting when i think about it.

im honestly glad its over tho..
thank god I thought I was the only one same 5/10

i feel ya lol, high5!
Sep 19, 2017 3:10 PM

Jan 2017
Waaaaaa such a nice ending. I don't care that it wasn't shocking or interesting enough (like Yoshino dying or smth) i liked how it was very Tempest like, a happy ending.

Now, on to the manga to see some action.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 20, 2017 2:54 PM

Sep 2014
wow what a trashy way to end this. Cant believe I wasted my time.. Why would Hakaze have problems without magic? Remember how she was dumped on that island without anything? Sigh..
From mind games and sort of mystery in the first half we have gone down to "throw tree dagger into other tree". Why was it necessary to have that gamma male in the second half?
Also while Mahiros ending was okay, wtf was that yoshino X hakaze thing? She literally forced herself onto him and he had not even a choice to run away. So romantic..

But Aikas video was nice, one last tease. I really liked her character, a shame she just went out like that. I had hoped she would come back by twisting the "logic" of the trees or whatever.

The OST and animation was good, so there is that. Im really salty they managed to dump this to something mediocre.

Even a 7/10 seems to high .. but I liked the trio and who cares, nobody will read this anyway.

PS: Will leave this at 7 instead of 6 because I really liked Aika. Female characters like her are so rare.
Comander-07Oct 20, 2017 3:12 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 28, 2017 10:35 PM
Nov 2015
While it may go unnoticed, I'm very happy for Hanemura and Yu-chan. Quite predictable that Yoshino is going to survive.

Though I have to say that this is so far the best beautiful bittersweet ending I have watched. Also, the butterflies were beautiful. So many symbolisms in it.

As for Aika's message, it almost broke my heart. Yet, she never fails to tease those two :)). Nice troll.

I'm glad that Mahiro disagreed with the reasoning of Aika.

Last but not the least, the hug and kiss of Yoshino and Hakaze ;-; WHYYY

Edit: Thanks to this anime, I'm kinda tempted to read Hamlet and Tempest. Though so far, I have only read one of Shakespeare's work, Macbeth.
FuzzyPaandaDec 28, 2017 10:38 PM
May 3, 2018 8:19 PM

Dec 2015
One of the most piece of crap i have ever seen in my whole life starting from the crappy philosophy to the cheap fan service and pathetic love triangle and the character just i wish i could wash off my memories
Aug 12, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2015
Thank goodness there were no kiss, they should have stopped even earlier or end it without Hakaze at all. The whole "possible new romance" thing felt like it ought to be ambiguous, with hints but nothing concrete. So yay, no kiss.

Maybe tragedy ending with Yoshino dying would have been even better for emotional impact, but I'm fine with the way it is too. It was a great journey overall. A bit weird because of the Trees, but oh well, shit happens.

Characters were really interesting to watch and I like how they didn't act like typical shounen protagonists and the real saviour was so humble with all the flashy things being staged on purpose. As well as the way Aika died, so unnecessarily beautiful for the sake of making an anime visually stunning (as I thought at first), but it actually makes sense with her personality and fits perfectly.
Feb 23, 2019 9:56 PM

Aug 2017
What the...?

Well, I was trolled by Yoshino's wound but nevermind.

About the show, first half is amazing, second half? Not so much. Everything was a little underwhelming and the alien stuff has been cast aside in the end. But I like that the characters end well.

The second half felt slightly draggy but the anime as a whole was good. 7/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 29, 2019 2:12 PM

Nov 2016
Bad luck Junichirou

Bittwesweet and satisfying conclusion, the final fight wasn't really an emotional high compared to Aikas suicide, but the little epilogue was great for what it was. (It could've been a bit longer for my taste) Additionally, I really love it when they show the credits along with a summary of the story.

The sad part was Aikas recording, although she didn't have regrets, the scene still killed me:(

Solid 8/10 what a journey it has been

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2019 1:18 AM
Jan 2011
honey--mint said:
What a snorefest. The only thing that kept me from falling asleep is those suffocating orchestrals blasting non-stop like the whole production crew was threatened with death if it stopped for five seconds.
And even after i've finished the show i still don't understand what were all the Shakespeare references and parallels for. It hasn't been played out as a prophecy or a mean for tweaking events or anything else, it was just there.

Yea it's not something you rewatch. They took plots and dialogue from Shakespeare tempest and hamlet. It seemed out of place at times. Should have just stuck to main anime plot.
Jul 26, 2019 8:36 AM

Feb 2016
The worst part of this show was the whole "Magical Tree/save the world" plot line. I legitimately think that it would have been leaps and bound better if all the magic crap had all been chopped out, and the anime just focused on the story of a brother (who is infatuated with his sister) who teams up with his best friend (who is secretly the sister's lover) to get revenge for the sister's murder. That was the most interesting part of the entire thing, and those three characters were the most interesting out of the whole cast. Everything else dragged that focus down.

As it stands there were too many uninteresting characters doing uninteresting things to serve a large uninteresting chunk of the story, all of which needed to go away. At least the music was good, though.

Sep 4, 2019 12:47 PM

Jul 2009
Good story, good characters and a great OST. But the pacing was all over the place and as a result the plot felt convoluted at times. At others it was boring or needed more detail.

As far as the Hakaze/Yoshino thing, seems like a clear romantic hint to me. The writers specifically chose the end the series with the two looking at each other and getting ready to, at a minimum, embrace. Plus the "moving on" conversation that happened literally seconds before this scene. But I can also understand the frustration with a lack of kiss or a confession from Yoshino. That has always been a dumb Japanese thing.

6 or 7, I'll decide the score later.
Sep 16, 2019 2:30 AM

Sep 2019
The anime is shit in my opinion. No offense it is just my personal feelings for this garbage. It felt flat, to be honest after watching the like ratio I truly thought it would be good so a lot of hyped build up inside of me. But damn this shit is hard to swallow.

I'll give this garbage a 2/10. 2 is for the animation.
Nov 30, 2019 5:53 AM
Mar 2012
This was a great series, and one of those that surpasses expectations. In anime I’m a character and dialogue guy myself, above even the plot. Those are what make Anime memorable. It’s probably in my Top 10 I think.

Other comments:

* I like that there were no villains. Could’ve been so easy to turn Samon into a two bit villain, or to do a predictable heel turn with Aika.

* Good that they resisted bringing Aika back to life.

* I like how it wasn’t just a high school anime, and good to see adults in the mix.

* Why do people want the kids? It’s clear there’s something there. Yoshino has come to terms with Aikas death, Mahiro urges him to “go get it” with Hakaze, etc lead up to that running scene. That’s good enough surely no?

* I like that it’s Hanamura who saves the day, no conveniently overpowered main character that does all the work.

* long epilogue. Love long epilogues and it was good seeing how the characters next lives are going to be. I’d watch a slice of life of this show 🙂
Dec 30, 2019 5:52 AM

Feb 2018
Wth Aika chan xD...
Dec 30, 2019 9:56 PM

Dec 2016
This series was pretty amazing up until the final battle. The characters were interesting and complex, had deep relationships, and all had a purpose and arc in the overall story. The twists and plot developments were engrossing, if not entirely unpredictable, and the pacing was good.

The only weakness was those last couple of episodes. The way this anime ended was just a letdown. For a start, the writing is bad. Yoshino and Mahiro get shoe-horned into the final battle because there is nothing else for them to do but the show needs to keep them relevant to the plot. And the battle itself is pointless; the outcome is predictable and the action is uninteresting as a result. In any other average seasonal anime it would have been serviceable, but given the quality of the rest of the show it stands out.

Probably the main issue is that the show writes itself into a corner. It blows it's load with the big revelations about Aika, so there isn't really anything left of the story to carry the story over the finish line. While I'm glad that they didn't stoop to bringing Aika back to life, it would have been nice if her character had some kind of influence on the concluding events, even if it was just other characters taking inspiration from her philosophy or whatever. It also would have been nice to conclude with learning another tidbit about Aika as a character or something to round out her epilogue; her message to Yoshino and Mahiro was uninspired.

If I really had to nitpick, the overall logic of the story was a bit shaky. It isn't clear to me why Aika didn't just get in touch with Hakaze's people to let them know what was going on and pool resources. The whole pretext for marooning Hakaze and killing off Aika was a bit convoluted. It was also hard to care about the whole saving the world stakes, as the characters were what made the show interesting.
May 18, 2020 10:36 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Quite the finale to end this cool ride! In all honesty, it was underwhelming but the 2nd half of the episode was satisfying so I'm fine with that. On the plus side, regarding the first half, the Animation was fantastic.

I find it a little puzzling with the whole emergence of these two opposing "trees" though. Yamamoto-san's theory didn't even get the nod but I suppose it's got to be something along those lines, at the end of the day.

Aika-chan's final video was a really nice addition too. I can't stop thinking about that expression on her face at the very end, of course she wasn't as carefree after all. And that tease xD, that's so her. It's good to see that the two are finally moving forward now. I'm definitely going to miss her personality, for one.

No denying that her actions early up were undoubtedly rash but I like how the show covered that bit already in Yoshino and Mahiro. Certainly didn't expect Mahiro to slowly fall in love again (it's clear it'll eventually go to there, that is) though, I must say.

Hakaze and Yoshino's ship sailing was a nice treat too. To be honest, this romance sub-plot took a wild step forward at the beginning of the second cour but it was handled really well from there on, so I've no qualms with this whatsoever. If anything, it got me a little more into it so there's that. Hanemura gets a happy end too, nice to see!

All in all, I definitely enjoyed the first half a lot more. Unpredictability and Mystery was a major factor in that and certainly played out a lot better than this second half. Even then, the second half was fairly good so I'm not too let-down.

Animation was a big plus throughout especially during the action scenes and the "feel" of the show is something that definitely helped to enhance the experience.

Character-wise, this was another job well done in my opinion. Complex and grounded characters which was certainly impressive, Hanemura taking over the main lead role definitely wasn't something I saw coming and while I'm not too fond of his character, I don't particularly hate him either.

Character designs feel identical to a few styles but really suit this show greatly. Some nice little fanservice thrown in here and there too which was just fine really.

As such, I'm going to settle with a solid 8/10. I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan but I've to commend the creators here for making me invested in this show despite of that. Hamlet and the Tempest with its contrasts was an interesting and plot-driven reference throughout the show and I feel like this show gave both the stories like a new outlook, I suppose.

It's been a wonderful last 11 hours thanks to this show.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 2, 2020 7:41 AM

Apr 2020
_MushiRock11_ said:
Quite the finale to end this cool ride! In all honesty, it was underwhelming but the 2nd half of the episode was satisfying so I'm fine with that. On the plus side, regarding the first half, the Animation was fantastic.

I find it a little puzzling with the whole emergence of these two opposing "trees" though. Yamamoto-san's theory didn't even get the nod but I suppose it's got to be something along those lines, at the end of the day.

Aika-chan's final video was a really nice addition too. I can't stop thinking about that expression on her face at the very end, of course she wasn't as carefree after all. And that tease xD, that's so her. It's good to see that the two are finally moving forward now. I'm definitely going to miss her personality, for one.

No denying that her actions early up were undoubtedly rash but I like how the show covered that bit already in Yoshino and Mahiro. Certainly didn't expect Mahiro to slowly fall in love again (it's clear it'll eventually go to there, that is) though, I must say.

Hakaze and Yoshino's ship sailing was a nice treat too. To be honest, this romance sub-plot took a wild step forward at the beginning of the second cour but it was handled really well from there on, so I've no qualms with this whatsoever. If anything, it got me a little more into it so there's that. Hanemura gets a happy end too, nice to see!

All in all, I definitely enjoyed the first half a lot more. Unpredictability and Mystery was a major factor in that and certainly played out a lot better than this second half. Even then, the second half was fairly good so I'm not too let-down.

Animation was a big plus throughout especially during the action scenes and the "feel" of the show is something that definitely helped to enhance the experience.

Character-wise, this was another job well done in my opinion. Complex and grounded characters which was certainly impressive, Hanemura taking over the main lead role definitely wasn't something I saw coming and while I'm not too fond of his character, I don't particularly hate him either.

Character designs feel identical to a few styles but really suit this show greatly. Some nice little fanservice thrown in here and there too which was just fine really.

As such, I'm going to settle with a solid 8/10. I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan but I've to commend the creators here for making me invested in this show despite of that. Hamlet and the Tempest with its contrasts was an interesting and plot-driven reference throughout the show and I feel like this show gave both the stories like a new outlook, I suppose.

It's been a wonderful last 11 hours thanks to this show.

Exactly the same as I think. 1st half of the show held me a lot more. I was breathless till ep 12, but them, they just came out with some rom/com (which was nice too), but totally unexpected.

Anyway, also scored a 8/10, the final battle was one of the reasons, plus the bittersweet closure of Hakaze and Yoshino. Why the hell cut the scene for christ sake!!

And I feel sad for Aika, the story leads you to accept her death, then comes with a twist that she can come back to life, then destroy your hope once more. Damn... I felt really bad, I liked the scenes when she and Yoshino were together.

Fuck, I always feel like that when animes brings "death theme" to the main plot.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jul 2, 2020 7:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
@P-edro Cool, glad to hear that.

Make sure to check out the final chapter of the manga if you’re looking for more Hakaze x Mahiru. It’s not exactly abundant either sadly but definitely more satisfying than the anime.

Aika’s demise, even to this day it hits me hard...

Jul 2, 2020 8:57 AM

Apr 2020
_MushiRock11_ said:
@P-edro Cool, glad to hear that.

Make sure to check out the final chapter of the manga if you’re looking for more Hakaze x Mahiru. It’s not exactly abundant either sadly but definitely more satisfying than the anime.

Aika’s demise, even to this day it hits me hard...

Yeah, I heard there are epilogues for each character. I'll check it out later.
Should I read the entire manga or it doesn't matter?
Thanks.
Jul 2, 2020 9:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
P-edro said:
Yeah, I heard there are epilogues for each character. I'll check it out later.
Should I read the entire manga or it doesn't matter?
Thanks.

I really can’t say, I only read the last 2-3 chapters or so (including epilogues). I’ve heard it’s a good adaption overall so I reckon it’s fine to skip that over.

Jul 2, 2020 9:31 AM

Apr 2020
@_MushiRock11_ Cool, thanks again. I'll do that.
Aug 16, 2021 3:54 PM

Jul 2017
Finished rewatching it now after 4 years and I feel pretty neutral by the end. It's not a terrible series but not particularly a series that inspires a lot of passion, admiration and quality by the end. I liked Hakaze and Aika, found the main characters to be okay, side characters to be very forgettable, and the story to have a promising start but end up feeling flat for the most part in terms of writing and direction and a bit incohesive too at times. Wish the actual magic elements got more interesting build or at least presented in a more compelling fashion to give the plot some amount of substance and weight, instead of feeling insignificant for the most part. Decent ending but I wish the build up was a lot more concrete and interesting than it turned out to be since I feel like I could forget most of this series easily again after a week or two and only remember a couple of moments from it. Again, not a bad series nor a painfully boring one, just average for the most part.

Somewhere stuck between a 5-5.5/10 for this anime.

Also, I did read the manga along with watching the anime again and the manga is slightly better for me, definitely gave me more satisfactory closure and more proper build compared to the anime despite still having a fairly weak story overall (at least it was entertaining enough to be a decent series even with the flaws). That one's closer to a 6.
Mar 14, 2022 10:31 AM
Nov 2020
I checked the manga ending, its somewhat different but has more to it than this ending. I highly recommend checking the ending in the manga. Mahiro is actually dating the girl he saved
Sep 16, 2022 10:23 PM

Nov 2010
Hmm, so people would rather choose to destroy themselves and become extinct somewhere down the line than accept the painless destruction provided by the Tree of Eden? a foolish decision IMO. In real life, it's much more practical to reset and start over from stone age again. It's better than becoming extinct.

Aika is such a waifu tier to the end! I wish she wasn't kidding with going on nude. hehe

I'm a little disappointed they didn't show the kiss between Yoshino and Hakaze. Nonetheless, I'm glad they ended up together as it should be. Also, a glimpse of Mahiro's waifu would've been nice too.

I'm gonna miss Aika and Hakaze. As for best waifu of the show, it's Hakaze for me.

I liked the mystery and suspense of the first half, the 2nd half was just alright. I still like the show overall. 8/10
Sep 17, 2022 3:41 AM

Jan 2014
I don't know what's different between anime ending and manga ending, but anime ending is kinda decent, even though there's still many plotholes.

what's make me sad is that Aika role in this anime is a sacrifice, where she could have more potential for better plot. I do admit like seeing Aika, such a sweet girl.

I am hesitate to give this between 7 or 8. but I'll list it as 7 probably.
Oct 3, 2022 9:22 AM
Jan 2020
Thus, the story of a guy who wants to see his sister naked gracefully ends.
-Shakespeare
Oct 25, 2022 6:16 AM
Aug 2022
the worst anime i have ever seen, honestly i don't recommend this series, this series has bad graphics and doesn't convey any feeling
May 30, 2023 9:19 PM

Mar 2021
While there are a number of plot holes and inconsistencies, Blast of Tempest is an amazing anime handling the topics of fate, responsibility, and love. In addition, I found that the OST was very impactful with the wonderous orchestral arrangements breathing life into the scenes in which it played.

"Everything happens for a reason. The daily tragedies and misfortunes are all meaningful events that lead towards an ideal conclusion. With that in mind, there probably isn't really any meaningless misfortune" - Fuwa Aika (episode 5). While I do not necessarily consider myself a believer in fate, I find it to be a powerful construct to convey a unique degree of sincerity. I found this quote to be particularly impactful; a reminder that even the misfortunes in life are not something useless. There is something to be gained from almost everything; if one looks hard enough.

Another moving quote from this episode: "The actors on stage must not wantonly abandon their scripts. Making a beautiful exit is the best they can hope for" - Fuwa Aika. Obviously in Aika's context she is referring to her suicide as the beautiful exit she aspired for on the stage of life. She believed that because she was the mage of exodus, she must uphold her responsibilities and die for the sake of fulfilling her role-- a role that she did not choose to take on. Much like in the real world, we are sometimes thrust into positions we did not choose-- and have subsequent responsibilities to uphold. Just because it is burdensome or undesirable, one must not abandon their role --their script-- for their own selfish reasons. Only should one's script be deviated from if the greater good demands it.

After my original watch nearly 3 years ago, I had extended this anime a score of 10/10; while I now think that this score was too lenient, I will still allow it to retain the score for the impact it had on my past self. Having finished my re-watch of the series today, I can say knowing the twists in turns took away from my enjoyment of the series this time around (as is the case with most series for me). Additionally, having read Shakespeare's Hamlet last year, I can say that being familiar with the work makes the series more predictable (for better or worse, could just be good foreshadowing). Such is the case when Yoshino refers to Aika as his "Ophelia," a girl who killed herself in Hamlet for reasons I will not bother to explain (the work is several hundred years old, much analysis has been done on it and is available online). I can only imagine how predictable the series would seem if I had also read Shakespeare's The Tempest. Maybe I will re-watch this anime again after having read The Tempest to find out.

Oct 13, 2023 2:33 AM

Apr 2015
What I appreciated about this is how the imagination flowed naturally. Like how they showed us two enormous trees fighting each other, how Hakaze timewarped using her flesh, those absolute absurdities only happen when the writer thinks freely

In terms of pure narrative enjoyment/excitement or visual quality this is a cut below the best but those scenes are what makes you want to like the show

It's a bit tragic that most creative otakus of the time basically ignored the show except for some fujoshis, we're now left with very few fanarts or doujins to enjoy outside of some BL attempts for Mahiro/Yoshino or Samon etc etc
Nov 25, 2023 2:51 PM

May 2020
The final fight wasn't the most remarkable thing one could see but it served its purpose. Hanemura played the unlikely hero, destroyed the pillar and in a poetic way, saved the world too. I mean that's what the final goal was all along, however cliche it may sound lol.

I would say I'm satisfied with this ending. Killing someone just for the sake of an emotional ending wouldn't have looked good quite honestly, and after all Mahiro and Yoshino have the big job of making the world a "better" place after all lol.

Characters were fine for the most part, or atleast most of them were after the initial phase. Second half had a bit of padding up, but they made up for it with the last bunch of episodes.

If anything, I would've liked if we got more background telling on Aika except for the fact that she was mage of exodus and Mahiro's step sister. I mean in the end, both of our main guys used to love her.

Entertaining enough on the surface, but they could've tried to explore a few things which were left untouched after some mentions here and there.
7/10
Jan 10, 3:59 PM

Dec 2022
I was wrong about this anime going downhill. It stayed pretty good till the end tho the second half was kind of cliche.
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Dec 2022
Decent ending with fulfilling interactions betwen Mahiro and Yoshino during the last few scenes. Only thing that confused me was the gun used by one of the ship crewmates. If the crew had guns from the start, then why weren't they using them when the ship was boarded? Furthermore, why didn't Mahiro and Yoshino properly confiscate all of their guns when they switched the live rounds for blanks? They even could've gathered them into a pile on the main deck to keep them within their sights. No idea how you'd tie the entire crew up without noticing one of them had a pistol.

Story was competently written for the most part, some of the characters had intelligent and witty dialogue, and the visuals were generally up to par too. On the other hand, there were a few scattered moments of characterisation being inconsistent, the timeskip caused some changes that felt too drastic for how short a time it jumped, and the Shakespeare quotes were detrimental to immersion. It's definitely a serviceable anime over all, given some of the better scenes in it.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

116 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

260 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

278 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

138 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

175 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 6:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.