Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2008 11:45 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow...Yoji is insane! This episode was great because half the time I wasn't sure if I was watching reality or his messed up virtual version of Rie.I just have one question, at the end was it his dad that took the program off of his computer?
Apr 19, 2009 7:50 PM
Sep 2008
creepy episode is creepy, every time yoji confused reality with his ero-game and attacked Rie was really messed up. looking forward for the other episodes
Aug 24, 2009 10:32 AM

Aug 2009
I just watched this episode last night before I went to sleep. It tried its damndest to mess with my head. o_O

I don't think that Yoji's dad had anything to do with Yoji's computer malfunction. I'm fairly certain it was a result of the giant pillar of light that appeared in the middle of the city. Not hard to imagine that it would create a lot of technical interference.
Nov 25, 2009 1:48 AM

Jun 2009
Was it just me or was that Nagi in the alley eating that girls corpse? Very good episode as everyone else has said and,yeah, it was definitely the pillar of light that caused the computer malfunction.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 10, 2009 12:00 AM
Dec 2009
Don't get me wrong, I love boogiepop... But this whole episode made me rage, Not to mention the type s plot point never get's explained in the show (I hear it is in the books though).
Oct 30, 2010 10:35 AM

Mar 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Was it just me or was that Nagi in the alley eating that girls corpse? Very good episode as everyone else has said and,yeah, it was definitely the pillar of light that caused the computer malfunction.

I wonder... It could be Nagi, I didnt see her very well, but at the same time, I dont think so.
Jan 20, 2011 4:41 AM
Jun 2008
Rie...Rie...Rie....ya,I saw this part in a few episode ago.

and the "drug" is lol ..gosh Saotome surely knows how to make his crazy experiment.I don't even know is this going to take over the world or just playing with the world.Yurihara should just kill him already -.-"
insan3soldiern said:
Was it just me or was that Nagi in the alley eating that girls corpse?

The Thing is a "human eater" or Manticore .Now it is in the body of Yurihara Minako.
The light pillar happen after when Manticore and Saotome 's death .....so actually the time setting is very confusingly hard to grasp.In the last episode,Boogiepop said that Saotome died, so I guess last ep is happen after the light pillar event.
May 2, 2011 6:07 PM

Jul 2008
very good episode its all linking up now and u guys really should pay attention more and stop guessing
After I Crush Your Dreams......
Your Bones Will Follow......
Jul 13, 2011 1:45 PM

Dec 2009
Heh what a creep >_> it was a very interesting episode
Aug 4, 2011 3:18 AM
Jun 2010
Oh man, a lot to cover this time. It's time for the Boogiepop Backstory Power Hour.

Sep 2, 2012 9:15 PM

Nov 2009
Pretty good ep, i'm finally getting interested in where the show is going.
Sep 14, 2012 6:00 AM

Apr 2012
What an uber-creepy episode. Neatly executed, with the again the final twist linking all the events. Still loving it.
Jan 9, 2013 8:52 PM

Jun 2008
This really was a well-done episode. Just standing on its own, it was a great way to spend 25 minutes. Things are starting to come together more and more now. I'm looking very forward to what the next episode reveals.
Apr 17, 2013 10:43 PM

Aug 2012
This show is so intense, I love it! Its crazy to see how much yoji's personallity changed from the beginning to the end of the episode. Its awesome how this show is slowly connecting the people from each episode.
Jun 20, 2013 2:45 AM

Aug 2008
This episode is insane and here I thought Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy would put me on acid. Nice episode.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Dec 25, 2013 7:47 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, the best episode so far. It's easier to enjoy this episode as I can relate to alot of the themes of this episode, it was just so well done.
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Jun 21, 2014 1:01 AM
Jun 2013
Pretty messed up episode.For a second I thought this was going to turn to rape or something thankfully that didint happen.Though the girl should of just quit instead of telling the boss since even if the boss fired the guy he still knew where she worked and could attack.At first I felt bad for the guy since ya know your parent calling you stupid and stressing you out can lead to some problems but then he got a bit to touchy feeling with the girl.I was surprised noone els was effect by the drug since it was being used out in the open.
Jun 30, 2014 11:07 PM

Jul 2008
Holy crap Yoji was insane.
Oct 29, 2014 7:29 PM

Jun 2014
paraphiliac freak!
Nov 29, 2014 12:35 PM

Dec 2012
Definitely my favorite episode so far, the creepy atmosphere was set up well and Yoji had me freaked out through and through. The idea of a person's obsession with fantasy and watching it blend with and distort reality felt suffocating at times, such as when he licks the monitor to imitate licking the ice cream. It's also starting to put together what's going on in that city.

I couldn't help but laugh though when Yoji was wigging out over Rie, reminds me of the otaku who celebrate their waifus. "You're all mine, Mio Akiyama!" The sad part is that level of obsession is plausible and not uncommon.
Aug 20, 2015 5:06 PM

Feb 2014
Very unnerving and uncomfortable to watch. Pretty cool so far! This episode really seemed to add some 'fluff' to the world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2015 2:44 AM

Apr 2014
Well that was uncomfortable but I can't say I really understand what's going on.
Jan 6, 2016 6:29 PM

Apr 2009
This is why you need to get a UPS and backup your files, Suganuma!

Good episode. BP is really solid at is showing the progression of madness in each character. This and the last case were pretty extreme and I wonder how much more it'll up the ante.

For those who are still confused, they revealed quite a bit in one of the alley scenes. I'm not 100% sure if that was Manticore (probably is), but he mentioned harnessing slaves to remake "human society". Whatever this society in the making is, he's playing around with unstable and extremely vulnerable individuals.
Each episode, Manticore provides them a means to reinforce their "correct" way of thinking. Type-Slave is an aromatherapy? with an inherent side-effect of being more daring or loose. Bottled courage? Sounds familiar, eh? It appeared to work for Suganuma.. but only because he was losing what little sanity he had left every time he used it.
Mar 6, 2016 5:00 AM

Oct 2010
not going to lie but actually found this hard to watch at parts, so awkward and creepy
May 17, 2016 3:52 PM

Feb 2015
What does this teach us? Never play Eroges too much.

But damn, it is hard to resist.
Jun 20, 2016 8:00 AM
Jun 2014
At the very moment that I saw Yoji, I thought "Would be awesome if he was the mad man we saw in the episode before", and the fact that it's actually the case felt realy good plot-speaking. This show is building a very strong narrative-puzzle, incredibly hard (and enjoyable) to decrypt so far and I like that.
Aug 4, 2016 1:04 AM

Apr 2014
I love, love, love the unconventional way of telling the narrative in these episodes! The way the 'main character' of each episode gets a cameo an episode beforehand is really interesting. I always think nothing of it when I see it, then when the next episode comes along it all starts to make sense.

I really am liking this show a lot.
Mar 3, 2017 10:18 PM

Feb 2016
Apparently (as far as the anime goes) this episode was a filler. Which is fine by me! What a gripping episode! Despite how creepy the dude is, you can't help but feel sorry for him as he takes a downward spiral into a virtual drug fueled madness.

I can definitely relate to the father son relationship. It's not entirely the father's fault but quotes like these "a son is owned by the parent" certainly don't help. The father does try to compromise by at least asking for a state university but I feel like his negative encouragement as well as unrealistic expectations (not everyone will be working off a degree, simply no society can operate like this) was partially at fault. If the kid takes a buddhist approach and learns to love his job in a service industry as well as being financially independant and able to care for his parents, I really personally don't see the issue in a holistic sense.

But we see clearly that he isn't coping, he doesn't want to face reality, he lusts after the seemingly effortless happiness everyone else has, but instead of embracing the lifestyle he's chosen he has simply retreated into a room connected to the wired.

This show is ending up a possible diamond in the rough, I would not be surprised if this ends up in my top ten or top twenty.
Cloud_IllusionsMar 3, 2017 10:24 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 24, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2012
Pretty crazy shit that's going on here! Well let's see what's next.
Jun 7, 2017 3:49 AM
Nov 2015
LOVE THIS LOVE THIS LOVE THIS SO SO MUCH
Apparently built in an episodic structures w diff stories ab diff teens. But everything is connected, characters from earlier eps return as leads...
This world feels so lived in, its problems feel so believable.
Jun 7, 2017 3:56 AM
Nov 2015
HEY WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH THAT SOUNDTRACK???
Not only the music but the background noise too, this level of soundtrack is not typical of TV animes, it's like from a high budget film with so much time to record n choose all of that.
Sep 7, 2017 2:08 PM

Jun 2015
I was totally prepared after the first 2 episodes to drop this show, but episodes 3 and 4 were actually kind of cool. It's feels less random now that we're starting to get the usual vague, dementia-style connections.

This episode was pretty interesting; that dude was insane. I'll forgive the whole "guys who play gal games are IRL autistic pedophiles" trope since this an old show and it actually worked for the story :P I'll also give him props for Rie's uniform, since it was actually pretty cute, but the swimsuit was just never gonna fly man.

I mean, personally I'd go to that restaurant for sure, but just saying.
Jan 16, 2018 4:01 PM

Sep 2017
yoooo this episode reminded me of Berenice by Edgar Allen Poe. Retreating from reality so much that you treat it like fantasy not only makes you evil, but makes you a slave to smarter evil.
Jan 28, 2018 6:19 PM

Aug 2017
this episode hit a little too close to home
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2018 1:42 AM

Jun 2013
a incredible deconstruction of an otakus psyche.
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Apr 22, 2018 4:49 PM

Feb 2013
Creepy dude is creepy. Rie... Rie... Rie! High as a kite.

This mostly happened before the "light".
Sep 11, 2018 7:25 PM

Aug 2016
Average episode, at least much better than all that mess from Ep 3
:v
Nov 15, 2018 10:05 AM

Jan 2016
I'll say it, this episode was uncomfortable in all the best ways. I'm a little vague on how it ties into the overall story, since the only connection seemed to be that Rie was talking to Mizuki (Panuru girl, I might have her name wrong) and maybe a bit with that Type S and the people selling it, I'll see, but even if it doesn't tie in that much, this episode was just straight disturbing.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 17, 2018 1:31 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty good stuff again. I like how subtle the episodes are connected with each other. It's still a bit confusing, but also fun when things are becoming easier to understand with each passing episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 6, 2019 12:41 AM

Jan 2013
[Insert 'Getting Better' by The Beatles here]
Mar 4, 2019 10:29 PM

Dec 2015
Oh, an episode about that too? It feels like I'm watching the "12 plagues of 2000s Japan".

5/5 As good as unpleasant.

Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Was it just me or was that Nagi in the alley eating that girls corpse?

It seemed to be the dead girl we saw in the Manticore incident flashback (its death/ flee). After all, the episode takes place before the light pillar phenomenon.
Apr 27, 2019 6:09 PM
Jul 2017
This episode scared me...
May 25, 2020 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was really creepy however, I really like how ever event is connected some way.
Apr 14, 2021 10:32 PM

Aug 2017
The pillar of light caused the computer malfunction but Yoji blames his dad. I'm glad Rie survived, I was expected a sexual assault at some point.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 14, 2021 3:35 PM
Nov 2020
Yet another interesting episode from this show. Also, the ending song is becoming really catchy.
Jul 19, 2021 3:18 PM

Mar 2018
I can't get over how uncomfortable and unnerving this show can make me feel, really love how consistent it's staying.
Nov 7, 2021 12:15 PM

Jun 2010
Not fond of this episode. I think it's overlong (with stylistic elements used to waste time) and just a jumble of hot-topic issues like drug use, teens under too much pressure to meet parental expectations, and unhappy men losing touch with reality with video games, none of which add up to much of anything or even interact much. The main character was clearly a bit nuts before he even took the drug.

The Sin-Amon/Type S thing was embarrassing to an English-speaking viewer. Unless I’m mistaken the former is actually cinnamon; the girls in the first scene were talking about harmless (if probably bunkum) aromatherapy.
Dec 2, 2021 7:55 AM

Jun 2020
This episode was perhaps the most direct one so far.. maybe because it's a theme that's done quite a bit in anime/cinema? But I still liked how it's consistently "show don't tell" ..

The opening and beginning with those breathy sounds was scary :(

Also, I don't think it was Nagi who ate up the girl in the alleyway.. but then who is she?
Aug 10, 2022 5:59 AM

Jun 2020
As usual, the execution was a masterpiece. But the story, surprisingly, was nothing special. Well the concept of a guy obsessing over a 2D character was probably new back in 2000, but it's generic in 2022. But well, amazing episode regardless.

Nov 9, 2022 1:49 PM

Jan 2010
An intersection of a history of childhood trauma, constant stress, social isolation, and substance abuse, leading to escapism being used as a venue for obsessiveness and hallucinations. Nonetheless, regardless of the excuse, this is a hell of a creepy episode. Not sure why otakuism was used as the subject matter here, but I suppose it makes for an easy target for a person stereotypically antisocial, deranged, not understood by the general public, delusionary, and even prone to violence when pushed to the edge. Not exactly sure if this episode highlights systemic issues that could possibly be addressed to help people experiencing social anxieties and trauma, or if it just perpetuates the otaku stereotype as someone who should be feared and ridiculed.

That being said, it's interesting to see the various episodes interlinked. Yuji was the character in the previous episode that was seemingly crazy, and we keep getting callbacks to that flash of light in the first episode. There still aren't any answers for what Boogiepop Phantom is even about, but we're at least seeing some of the anime's mysteries beginning to take shape.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 25, 2009

29 by Pinoffin »»
Jan 12, 2:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.