Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2012 9:51 PM

Sep 2012
Wild_Boy said:
AiCon said:
I do agree that he's tired but if that's true then why is it that the priest suffered every time he killed those mole rats?

Because they triggered that mechanism in the priest's brain. It doesn't set off for Satoru because he doesn't consider them humanoid lifeforms, or something like that.

Before I answer the questions raised in this episode, I want to clarify the above.

The priest also did NOT consider quuerats as humanoid lifeforms. The reason his Death Feedback symptoms got worsened is because of the SMOKE kicked up by the destruction he bestowed upon the queerats. Somehow the SMOKE looked like human to him, perhaps because his Death Feedback was already triggered in his earlier encounter with the Library. It is the SMOKE (which was naturally generated not deliberately created by the queerats), not the queerats themselves, that worsened the situation of the priest. He never ever considered the queerats as anything near a human, even at the last moment of his life.

Lest someone still gets the wrong idea:

There is absolutely no ill-effect for a human to use power to attack or kill queerats. Not in the case of the priest, not in the case of Satoru

See what the messed-up episode 5 has done to you....
symbvNov 2, 2012 10:45 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 9:55 PM

Sep 2012
QuiGonJon said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
I think this episode is kinda disappointing, so many irrelevant things like how did they get the power back, and tbh this episode was a mess when they suddenly escaped and start slaughtering.

Satorou was a meh, and either was Saki, she spoke some nonsense stuffs then Satorou got the power back. These animations were poorly done, like those trees flied around seems silly to me. So instead of getting the power to find the other, they chose to use it to wage a war, with silly reasoning like " it's better use for offense". And how Satorou kept being stubborn and said they had no other choices.

I couldnt have put it better.

It is much much better than ep.5 though. Animation and character design are back to par.

I cannot see how those things shown are IRRELEVANT or NONSENSE.

And they just need to fight their way out to safety. It is not like "waging a war" but it is clear that the foreign species of queerats is considered a real threat and here perhaps Satoru also got a bit over-confident of himself. As to why Satoru became so wild, I blame the lack of proper depiction of what Satoru and Saki went through before Satoru got his power back. If more care was taken to depict the dire straits and pent-up frustration of not having their power in the last episode (or this episode) his behavior would be much easier to understand .

Edwinr182 said:
Could satarou's change in behavior be due to the new mantra?

No, there is no new mantra. Satoru was pushed to his physical and mental limit by the time he got his power back. He was tired, afraid, frustrated and hallucinating because of the effect of the poison gas. He wanted to help Saki to safety but he seriously thought he was going to die; then suddenly he got his power back. The table was turned and all the pent-up frustration and backlash from his earlier fear prompted him to want to eliminate the foreign species once and for all (besides they owe a favor to Squeera for providing safety to them when they escaped. What Satoru got is just the same mantra he got in his initiation rite - everyone has his/her own unique mantra and it lasts for his/her whole life.
symbvNov 2, 2012 10:47 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 10:04 PM

Sep 2010
Awesome episode..... And animation quality is back to normal.....

4/5
Nov 2, 2012 10:08 PM

Nov 2009
symbv said:

I cannot see how those things shown are IRRELEVANT or NONSENSE.

Some nonsense stuffs were that if they could do it earlier, why didn't they do it in the first place? when the group was chased by those queerats and Saki could return the power to Satorou to help the group as well at that time. It's like a miracle suddenly pulled out somewhere(as Saki has the power to return Satorou's mantra) to help the plot progressed. I still enjoy the episode although it wasn't as good as previous episodes. I feel like the plot lacks of substances.

It is not like "waging a war" but battling your way out.

Not really,as I've said only Satorou chose to slaughter those queerats meanwhile Saki went against it. They weren't even sure whether they friends were safe or not. Mental reasons(frustration, afraid, etc) are just excuses.
Nov 2, 2012 10:11 PM
Nov 2012
Also does anyone believe Squealer will turn on them if they find out Saki cant use her Cantus?
Nov 2, 2012 10:29 PM

Sep 2012
theamato said:
what was the trance that Satoru and Saki were under during the first scene in the episode and how did Saki use this to restore Satoru's power?

IZEROII said:
Any significance behind the out of the blue mind tripping at the beginning of the episode leading into Saki restoring Satoru's Cantus?

I think the main theory that needs to be validated is does one loose memory of their "mantra" once it has been taken away? Saki was able to give Satoru his Cantus back because she recalled his from a memory but he is unable to give Saki hers back through the same means because nobody (including herself) know it? Additionally, does anyone have the power to bestow or return a Cantus to an individual because I would figure that would be a "master" like art? How is Satoru escaping the death feedback phenomena or is his being "tired" in fact that feedback that we saw the Monk experience.

AiCon said:
Basically were wondering why Saki didn't ask Satoru to bring back her powers like she did with his?

Why didn't Satoru feel anything like the priest did when he was killing all those mole rats?

What was that weird mind trip thing that Saki experienced in the beginning?

The trance and mind-tripping is the effect of poison gas. Remember I criticized the change made in the anime in ep.5 when inflammable gas came out of nowhere. This is not only because this does not happen in the novel, but I know it may get confused with the poison gas attack that will have to be shown later. The poison gas caused them all those hallucination, wore down their physical and mental strength (by messing up their brain as well as get them confused and panicked at finding the correct path and avoiding danger). The hallucination helped Saki because it made it easy to put Satoru's mantra back to his subconsciousness by hypnosis in Satoru's condition of tired and weakened consciousness. Saki has the wit to recreate the way priests transformed how Cantus power can be invoked for them back in the initiation rite. So in fact Satoru went through that initiation rite again and had the unique mantra reintroduced to him again. Apparently it would not have worked if Satoru learned it when he was conscious and simply repeated the mantra verbally. The mantra needs to reside on a subconscious level for it to work. I would say the power to bestow/suspend/return a Cantus power is something that priests need to learn and perhaps not every adult knows.

When Saki and Satoru agreed to share their mantra back when they were in school, Saki found a way to get Satoru's mantra but Satoru never really intended to know what Saki's mantra is so he never knew her mantra. When the priest suspended the kids' power in ep.5 what he did was put in some kind of hypnosis to bar them from remembering their unique mantra, but that does not stop Saki's memory of another person's mantra. This is why Saki could recall Satoru's mantra but not hers.

As for how Satoru escaped death feedback, I have explained in my previous post already. As to why he seems to get "tired" at the end, it is what you see -- he is indeed tired. He got too keen for action but he had only just got his power back so he has not fully recovered himself yet. Pushing himself too much at this stage means that he got tired and his power is thus diminished (and will indeed use up if he keeps using it)
symbvNov 3, 2012 1:01 AM

Nov 2, 2012 10:31 PM

Nov 2007
Very good recovery from last episode's slump! Got my interest back up to where we left off two weeks back at episode 3.

Saki tricking Satoru to learn his mantra was mean of her. But I am glad that it has now proved to become very useful.

I am really glad that Saki and Satoru are paired because I found them the most interesting characters since the second episode. :)

4/5

Edit: To help some of you overcome the confusion before the VN readers bombard these pages with spoiler tags.

When their mantras were sealed by the levitating monk (yeah, let's just call him that), all five of them lost any memory of their own mantras.

Saki tricked Satoru to learn his mantra. So, she used the same chanting that was used to give her HER mantra and then replaced it with Satoru's. Basically she gave him his mantra back. Here is another thing. They only forgot their mantras and nothing else. They have memories for everything else, that includes the chanting they heard before their mantras were whispered to them.

Since Satoru doesn't know Saki's mantra, he cannot do the same for her. Remember that: Everyone has their own mantra and are completely different from others. So, Saki probably cannot use Satoru's mantra because it was meant for him in the first place.
shanimebibNov 2, 2012 10:47 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 2, 2012 10:35 PM

Sep 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:

Some nonsense stuffs were that if they could do it earlier, why didn't they do it in the first place? when the group was chased by those queerats and Saki could return the power to Satorou to help the group as well at that time. It's like a miracle suddenly pulled out somewhere(as Saki has the power to return Satorou's mantra) to help the plot progressed. I still enjoy the episode although it wasn't as good as previous episodes. I feel like the plot lacks of substances.

I have given explanation why Saki could not have done the same earlier. There is also the factor that Saki was pushed to come up with an ingenious solution when she was cornered. I agree that it may look a bit out of the blue though.

But I disagree that it lack substance (what is substance anyway? I think this word is being abused in many a review by anime fans) because the plot keeps revealing things about the world and the relationship dynamic of characters and groups, all through exciting actions.

Takana_no_Hana said:
It is not like "waging a war" but battling your way out.

Not really,as I've said only Satorou chose to slaughter those queerats meanwhile Saki went against it. They weren't even sure whether they friends were safe or not. Mental reasons(frustration, afraid, etc) are just excuses.

Excuses maybe, but they are all valid factors that pushed Satoru to do what he did. I am not saying what he did was right, remember. He got too confident after getting his power back and he just thought everything will end soon (Cantus is this powerful) so that he could get to find his friends in no time. Besides there is the Squeera begging and nudging them to help its tribe in the war.
symbvNov 3, 2012 12:49 AM

Nov 2, 2012 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
the anime certainly does make some parts more difficult to understand, and i feel like this is occurring more and more lately. what really bothered me was in ep4 when the children remarked that the queerats looked human from far away (and thinking this is why the priest's death feedback kicked in) which threw a lot of people off, myself included. and now in this episode there's a random hallucination that seemingly came out of nowhere, but as symbv said does have a significant meaning in the novel for saki to restore satoru's mantra.

edit: so the hallucination was caused by the poison gas, but was that the same gas that they encountered before that was flammable?
walkNov 2, 2012 11:00 PM
Nov 2, 2012 10:58 PM

Sep 2011
Interesting, confusing. Dat enemy army at the end. I really wonder where the other 3 are.
Nov 2, 2012 11:00 PM
Sep 2012
walk said:
the anime certainly does make some parts more difficult to understand, and i feel like this is occurring more and more lately. what really bothered me was in ep4 when the children remarked that the queerats looked human from far away (and thinking this is why the priest's death feedback kicked in) which threw a lot of people off, myself included. and now in this episode there's a random hallucination that seemingly came out of nowhere, but as symbv said does have a significant meaning in the novel for saki to restore satoru's mantra.

edit: so the hallucination was caused by the poison gas, but was that the same gas that they encountered before that was flammable?
I simply don't understand why they they needed to cut out and change important things from the novel like that. It's not like it would have taken up much time and this show has 25 episodes in it. It just adds unnecessary plot holes which ruin the story.
Nov 2, 2012 11:50 PM

Jul 2010
Couldn't Satoru make some sort of platform for them to stand on while they fly away?
Nov 3, 2012 12:16 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
MEsoJD said:
Couldn't Satoru make some sort of platform for them to stand on while they fly away?
Shushh, don't try to make anime logical!

I disliked this episode, sadly.
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 3, 2012 12:37 AM

May 2011
Thanks symbv for the detailed explanation! I'd came here to find some answers to my queries and you had answered them before I asked. I think every episode from this onward needs some explanation from people who had read the novel. =/ But the animation was nice though.
Nov 3, 2012 1:14 AM

Apr 2011
Good episode.
Satoru was kinda... different.

And why there isn't any preview? :(
Nov 3, 2012 1:26 AM

Sep 2012
Naruleach said:
MEsoJD said:

Not sure what you mean here? Who fly away?

And moderator Naruleach, I am not sure how being sarcastic can help the discussion.

Nov 3, 2012 1:32 AM

Nov 2011
Great episode, dat music, dat PK, dat SakixSatoru pairing.

symbv said:
Naruleach said:
MEsoJD said:

Not sure what you mean here? Who fly away?

And moderator Naruleach, I am not sure how being sarcastic can help the discussion.

Moderators can have fun too
The Art of Eight
Nov 3, 2012 1:35 AM
Aug 2012
Episode wasn't bad. I still don't know what the hell is going on though.
Nov 3, 2012 1:45 AM

Sep 2012
dankickyou said:

Moderators can have fun too

Have fun at the expense of those who do not think anime is generally illogical? It would have been better if he at least elaborates a bit why he dislikes this episode instead of writing curt post.

Nov 3, 2012 3:12 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:

The trance and mind-tripping is the effect of poison gas. Remember I criticized the change made in the anime in ep.5 when inflammable gas came out of nowhere. This is not only because this does not happen in the novel, but I know it may get confused with the poison gas attack that will have to be shown later. The poison gas caused them all those hallucination, wore down their physical and mental strength (by messing up their brain as well as get them confused and panicked at finding the correct path and avoiding danger). The hallucination helped Saki because it made it easy to put Satoru's mantra back to his subconsciousness by hypnosis in Satoru's condition of tired and weakened consciousness. Saki has the wit to recreate the way priests transformed how Cantus power can be invoked for them back in the initiation rite. So in fact Satoru went through that initiation rite again and had the unique mantra reintroduced to him again. Apparently it would not have worked if Satoru learned it when he was conscious and simply repeated the mantra verbally. The mantra needs to reside on a subconscious level for it to work. I would say the power to bestow/suspend/return a Cantus power is something that priests need to learn and perhaps not every adult knows.

Thanks, I also didn't understand this m-tripping scene. I'm a bit mad at the directors, because they could have explained that really easily during this episode.

Naruleach said:
MEsoJD said:

The problem is that Satoru didn't want to leave, he wanted to fight the queerats.
Nov 3, 2012 3:17 AM

Jan 2011
Great episode, a lot better than last week's garbage.
I really wonder how the others are doing. But even with only these two this is still incredibly interesting.
I want to know what that delusion like thing meant.
No preview this time, I guess something big is about to happen.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Nov 3, 2012 3:17 AM

Oct 2012
It was an enjoyable episode, there was a lot of use of their powers in innovative ways which I enjoyed. I don't truest those queerats that their helping they've seem suspicious the whole episode. Hopefully Saki gets her powers back soon and meet up with the rest.
Nov 3, 2012 3:28 AM
Nov 2011
Wild_Boy said:
Bouum said:
He didn't know HER Mantra. She cheated to see his ;)

And yeah... I know what part you are talking about, I didn't know what happened there either lol He was fine and then turned all depress.

Yeah but she could have just told him what her mantra was then and there in the cave. There must be something we all seem to have missed that explains why they didn't just do that.

Edit: Do they forget their mantra when they have their powers taken away? That would make sense.
the monk made them forget their own mantra
Nov 3, 2012 3:40 AM

Jun 2010
Oh yessssss, Good good. It's back. Can't wait for the next episode!

And don't hate on Satoru. It's not that Cantus is so easy to use. That monk was an expert. Satoru can't do a high level Cantus like him.
Nov 3, 2012 3:47 AM

Sep 2012
-MgZ_ said:

And don't hate on Satoru. It's not that Cantus is so easy to use. That monk was an expert. Satoru can't do a high level Cantus like him.

I thought Satoru used his power really well during this episode. He is definetely more competent than I thought.
Nov 3, 2012 3:50 AM
Feb 2008
This episode was not as good as the previous one. The beginning of the episode was boring but it became more interesting with satoru getting tired. The tension build up throughout the episode was nice.
Nov 3, 2012 4:37 AM

Sep 2012
Satoru's killing party episode.
Nov 3, 2012 4:43 AM

Apr 2011
I enjoyed this episode. Sad there was no preview guess that means something big is about to go down.
Nov 3, 2012 5:14 AM

Dec 2009
It was an okay episode, last week's unholy screw-up has really thrown off the narrative of the show. This episode did its best to recover but it still left me with some questions. What I didn't get at all is why they suddenly started talking about 'poisonous gas' when the last episode didn't mention that at all and made it appear to be inflammable gas (what with the explosion and all).
Ara ara.
Nov 3, 2012 5:24 AM

Jun 2009
This episode sure made a lot better of an impression on me than last week's. It's great to see Shinsekai looking as well as it did up until episode 5 too. However, more and more plotholes are visible, seeing people knowing source material here in forum explaining some things does make up for some of those, but that still makes the anime flawed.
Alll in all, this was a great watch whatsoever and i enjoyed it, i just hope the producers don't stray from source material much anymore leaving us plotholes begging to be explained.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Nov 3, 2012 5:36 AM

Jun 2009
AHAHAHAHA YESH!

SHINSEKAI YORI IS BACK! MY WEEKEND IS BACK! EPiSODE THAT FEELS LIKE 5 MINUTES ARE BACK!!!

I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2012 5:50 AM

Oct 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
I think this episode is kinda disappointing, so many irrelevant things like how did they get the power back, and tbh this episode was a mess when they suddenly escaped and start slaughtering.

I agree. Animation is back on par and overall it is better than previous ep but story is simply not satasfying as before (from thinking child to machine of destruction due to some hallucination, really, Shun? After what they was teached I just simply couldn't believe he has any motives to heartlessly slaughter all those rats and other beings). Some psychadelic wtf scenes to make viewer completely unaware of what has just happended? (and to add some coolness to this show I presume?) And whole episode of fighting with almost no progression - I would prefer some meaningful talking about serious questions and more resourcefulness of main characters instead.
If manga is so good I guess this anime simply can't keep pace with it.
I already had to lower my score for this series and if this continues I fear I had to drop it completely.
Mich666Nov 3, 2012 6:10 AM
Nov 3, 2012 5:57 AM
Sep 2012
<font><font>Mich666</font></font> said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

I agree. Animation is back on par but overall it is better than previous ep but story is simply not satasfying as before (from thinking child to machine of destruction due to some hallucination, really, Shun? After what they was teached I just simply couldn't believe he has any motives to heartlessly slaughter all those rats and other beings). Some psychadelic wtf scenes to make viewer completely unaware of what has just happended? (and to add some coolness to this show I presume?) And whole episode of fighting with almost no progression - I would prefer some meaningful talking about serious questions and more resourcefulness of main characters instead.
I already had to lower my score for this series and if this continues I fear I had to drop it completely.

I read that the manga is just fanservice, the novel is very good.
Nov 3, 2012 5:59 AM

Sep 2012
Mich666 said:
(from thinking child to machine of destruction due to some hallucination, really, Shun? After what they was teached I just simply couldn't believe he has any motives to heartlessly slaughter all those rats and other beings).
Whatever education they received, be it in their school or from the library, there is no indication that they were taught anything about the need to show mercy or sympathy with the rats. Also did you mix up Shun with Satoru?
Mich666 said:

Some psychadelic wtf scenes to make viewer completely unaware of what has just happended? (and to add some coolness to this show I presume?)
I agree that the anime can definitely have done better to convey what happened. I myself is quite disappointed with how they depicted Saki and Satoru's travails inside the rat tunnels. And perhaps you meant Satoru not Shun?
Mich666 said:

It is not based on a manga, but on a novel (not light novel, a novel).

Nov 3, 2012 6:16 AM
Sep 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:

Satorou was a meh, and either was Saki, she spoke some nonsense stuffs then Satorou got the power back. These animations were poorly done, like those trees flied around seems silly to me. So instead of getting the power to find the other, they chose to use it to wage a war, with silly reasoning like " it's better use for offense". And how Satorou kept being stubborn and said they had no other choices.

Stark700 said:

Dat spectral visuals with a naked Satoru strange insight.

that was not satorou, its Shun.

That called sugestion. Just like how the monk sealed their power only with some ritual, the process is to make they believe. That's all
Nov 3, 2012 6:51 AM

Feb 2012
the last three episodes were good,seems its the kind of series that gets better over time.
Nov 3, 2012 6:54 AM

Sep 2012
Mich666 said:

I agree. Animation is back on par and overall it is better than previous ep but story is simply not satasfying as before (from thinking child to machine of destruction due to some hallucination, really, Shun? After what they was teached I just simply couldn't believe he has any motives to heartlessly slaughter all those rats and other beings).

Those rats almost killed them with the gas in the last episode, and obviously, they wouldn't have let Satoru and Saki leave the place which means that those rats were still a threat for their life. So, you can't say that they didn't have any kind of motive to kill those rats.
Also, you can't really called that a heartless slaughter when the rats were always the first to attack during this episode.

And whole episode of fighting with almost no progression

The plot is already well developped and there are still 19 episodes left in case you didn't know.

I would prefer some meaningful talking about serious questions and more resourcefulness of main characters instead.

There are in the middle of a war, that's not the right place to have meaningful talking, and what do you mean by more resourcefulness?
Nov 3, 2012 7:26 AM

Sep 2009
Not as interesting as the earlier episodes but I suppose its necessary to advance the plot.

I guess that the fact there's a time skip isn't a spoiler. :/

Mich666 said:

I agree. Animation is back on par and overall it is better than previous ep but story is simply not satasfying as before (from thinking child to machine of destruction due to some hallucination, really, Shun? After what they was teached I just simply couldn't believe he has any motives to heartlessly slaughter all those rats and other beings). Some psychadelic wtf scenes to make viewer completely unaware of what has just happended? (and to add some coolness to this show I presume?) And whole episode of fighting with almost no progression - I would prefer some meaningful talking about serious questions and more resourcefulness of main characters instead.

Me too but this is probably necessary for the story to progress. I doubt there will be much more of this especially with a time skip coming up.
Nov 3, 2012 7:37 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Whatever education they received, be it in their school or from the library, there is no indication that they were taught anything about the need to show mercy or sympathy with the rats. Also did you mix up Shun with Satoru?

That's true but it really goes against spirit of second episode where they saved one together. Also, I guess they wasn't taught to kill living beings with their cantus either. And his stress and tendency to kill should go away with with that sexual play with Saki before (again, nothing happened in anime but it did in novel). Not to mention that there is also another inconsistency - when that monk was fighting with quee-rats before he had strong feeling of restraint and uneasiness they have implanted into them. Satoru on the other hand didn't notice anything this time and he was just sweating little because he used too much of his energy (logic behind my thinking is that those quee-rats are exiled and transformed members of society who violated rules and was stripped of their cantus and humanity)

And yes, I meant Satoru in previous post. For some reason it seems I can't clearly remeber names of those children - I guess that's also problem of this anime, because it never happens to me in other titles. Be it mainly plain character design, bad characterization or lack of distinctive character traits and features (maybe it's intentional?), I don't know. Maria is the only one I can recognize everytime.

symbv said:
It is not based on a manga, but on a novel (not light novel, a novel).

My bad, I was simply talking about original work which anime is based on.

Overall, I really want to like this anime and I want it to be a success because I like setting and mood it sets but there are some little hinderances that make it very difficult.
Nov 3, 2012 8:00 AM

Sep 2012
Mich666 said:
That's true but it really goes against spirit of second episode where they saved one together.
Actually they did NOT save a queerat together. Only Saki saved it. The others were indifferent or thought they should follow what adults told them and not intervene. And Saki urged Satoru to stop going on a rampage against the rats.
Mich666 said:
Also, I guess they wasn't taught to kill living beings with their cantus either.
This is not true either. They could not kill another HUMAN with Cantus but any other living beings are fair game.
Mich666 said:
Not to mention that there is also another inconsistency - when that monk was fighting with quee-rats before he had strong feeling of restraint and uneasiness they have implanted into them.
Perhaps you have not read the explanations I posted in Ep.5 thread, but the monk had no problem fighting the rats. The feeling of restraint and uneasiness is the "death feedback" mechanism that first triggered in the monk when the Library showed him the human image and then by the SMOKE naturally generated but perceived by the monk as human-like. There is nothing inconsistent here.

Mich666 said:
And yes, I meant Satoru in previous post. For some reason it seems I can't clearly remeber names of those children - I guess that's also problem of this anime, because it never happens to me in other titles. Be it mainly plain character design, bad characterization or lack of distinctive character traits and features (maybe it's intentional?), I don't know. Maria is the only one I can recognize everytime.

Not sure about you, but my experience is that if I am not paying attention I would miss things and confuse the characters. So far I find Shinsekai Yori demands more focus from me than many other anime.
symbvNov 3, 2012 8:24 AM

Nov 3, 2012 8:07 AM

Dec 2011
I still don't understand how did Satoru get is powers back. Well, it doesn't matter. I hope next ep will be better.
Nov 3, 2012 8:13 AM
Oct 2009
what exactly is a mantra? i must i have missed this in the earlier episodes.

is it just some word or phrase that allows the psychics to concentrate? what is so special about it?

much appreciated to anyone who answers.
Nov 3, 2012 8:16 AM

Sep 2012
OG-3 said:
I still don't understand how did Satoru get is powers back. Well, it doesn't matter. I hope next ep will be better.
In short:
He was prevented from remembering the mantra needed to invoke his power and Saki took the advantage of Satoru's confused state (caused by poison gas) to trick Satoru into believing he undergoes the initiation rite again where he learns the mantra (which was told by Saki into his ear as she somehow knew what mantra Satoru uses)

Nov 3, 2012 8:23 AM

Sep 2012
theamato said:
what exactly is a mantra? i must i have missed this in the earlier episodes.

is it just some word or phrase that allows the psychics to concentrate? what is so special about it?
Think mantra as a switch in your body that allows you to invoke the Cantus power in you. Without it you cannot invoke your power. Each person has his/her unique mantra and is implanted by priests during his/her initiation rite, to be used for the rest of his/her life.

Actually it is a control mechanism because without it a human can easily lose control of his/her power (for example, allowing poltergeist phenomenon whilst you are asleep) and this can be dangerous. What the initiation rite does is to get each kid to surrender his power (which he may not have full control) and replaced with a mantra-controlled mechanism that allows better control and focus for his power. (In the rite, things like "death feedback" mechanism will also be tested but that is another thing).

Nov 3, 2012 8:55 AM

Nov 2009
Just to make sure, the inconsistent thing was that Saki had the power to give mantra back to Satorou, but she didn't do it when her group was chased by those queerats. So basically a miracle conveniently happened to make the plot progressed.

Saki and Satourou were trapped, I was excited to see what kind of situation they would been through and what would happen next, not just regained the power and started killing queerats, and what the heck? Saki power was just popped up from nowhere. That kind of plot was just so mediocre, the best episode so far was episode 4 (bloody history), even though there were lots of talking but it was exciting and entertaining at best.

Not to mention about the other friends like Shun, Maria. Satorou had the power, why didn't he use it to search for them?(Or he thought that they probably be fine?) And obviously the power he had also has some defend mechanism like blocking those arrows, rocks and he said it was better use for offense.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the ep, but it wasn't as enjoyable as the other ep cause I expect more.
Takana_no_HanaNov 3, 2012 9:02 AM
Nov 3, 2012 9:19 AM

Oct 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
Just to make sure, the inconsistent thing was that Saki had the power to give mantra back to Satorou, but she didn't do it when her group was chased by those queerats. So basically a miracle conveniently happened to make the plot progressed.

Because she needed Satoru to be in a daze for it to work. In this case, the remnants of the poison gas acted like a hallucinogen drug and altered his state of mind.

Not to mention about the other friends like Shun, Maria. Satorou had the power, why didn't he use it to search for them?

How? The power has never been shown to grant users the kind of extrasensory perception that would be useful in searching for someone.
Nov 3, 2012 9:25 AM

Sep 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
That would not be called inconsistent, but a development too sudden because there is little hint about their sharing mantra in the past. Though it is not that unreasonable as I have explained: 1) Even in real life you may only remember certain way to do things only later or when pushed; 2) Mantra implant needs to work on a subconscious level.

Takana_no_Hana said:

Saki and Satourou were trapped, I was excited to see what kind of situation they would been through and what would happen next, not just regained the power and started killing queerats, and what the heck? Saki power was just popped up from nowhere.
What Saki power??

That said, I would definitely agree that the anime cut out too much about the hardship they went through in the tunnels. If they had followed the novel closer, there would not be confusing inflammable gas, the poison gas attack and its draining effect on Satoru and Saki would be much clearer, Saki's hallucination and Saki's trick of reintroducing Satoru's mantra back to Satoru would be clearer. And his desire to take revenge once he got his power back would be a little more understandable too.

Takana_no_Hana said:
That kind of plot was just so mediocre, the best episode so far was episode 4 (bloody history), even though there were lots of talking but it was exciting and entertaining at best.
Quite some people think ep.4 is mediocre though because a device suddenly making appearance and spewed out a bunch of expository information.. Well I consider that episode and this episode both decent, so my point is Mileage varies.

Takana_no_Hana said:
Not to mention about the other friends like Shun, Maria. Satorou had the power, why didn't he use it to search for them?
Use the power to search for them? I wonder what should he do to search for them? He is in an enemy infested territory so it is not as if he can build a high platform and then look for them. The cantus power does not seem to include superhuman eyesight either (at least not for Satoru).

On the other hand, I would say that Saki was being sensible when she asked Satoru not to pursue too deep into the enemy area when he has just got his power back. Satoru was definitely being over-confident and also too attached to the idea of hitting back at the rats (who dared to capture, wound and later tried to gas him).

Takana_no_Hana said:
And obviously the power he had also has some defend mechanism like blocking those arrows, rocks and he said it was better use for offense.
The key word is "better". It is not that the power cannot be used for defense but it is BETTER used for offense. The nature of the power is to destroy and attack, not to protect and shield. The power cannot do something like creating a magic shield around you to stop projectile attacks, or help you watch your back against sneak attack. The point is that if there is just one person with power, he is still risky if he only wants to defend when he is surrounded by enemies and they attack sneakily from all directions.
symbvNov 3, 2012 9:34 AM

Nov 3, 2012 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
I guess the show is so good that people are going out of their way to find its weakness. :3 Personally, I understood this episode perfectly even without our novel reading friends.
The Art of Eight
Nov 3, 2012 9:43 AM

Mar 2009
dankickyou said:
Personally, I understood this episode perfectly even without our novel reading friends.

This. I think some people just don't have the cognitive ability and/or the patience to figure it out, instead preferring everything to be spoonfed to them immediately.

To those people: This anime is not for you.
Nov 3, 2012 9:46 AM

Sep 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
This. I think some people just don't have the cognitive ability and/or the patience to figure it out.
One thing I really want to say:

This show really demands focus and thinking.
though I would say that sometimes the directing in the anime may make things confusing or hard to understand...

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.