Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 14, 2008 12:36 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok, I just saw it subs.Basically everyone is concerned of Yuzuki's suicide and they learn that she survives. They wonder what caused it. The detective Kiba wants to know who should die before here since it was mentioned something can happen should Kanako die before a certain someone.

Yoriko is like freaked out most of the time, there is also another group with a person named Toriguchi who is driving the car along with a girl Chuzenji and another guy who I think might be responsible to investigate or has a key in the story since he was on the train with the guy and box. They get stopped by the police in front of the Yuzuki residence and there was a guy who I also do not know about.

Interesting enough there is reference to a monster called Toori-mono. Interesting folklore of a monster. Possessive monster that makes bad luck come. Sounds crazy!

Really interesting so far as they say they found body parts in boxes here and there BUT always in a box.

We know Amemiya Noritada is in fact the guardian but then it may mean Kanako's parents aren't around.

I really don't like Youko cause she seems suspicious too much. Like she planned something, especially when I see her at the end with that guy.

angel999Oct 20, 2008 6:37 AM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 18, 2008 7:31 PM

Jul 2008
angel999 said:

Yui is like freaked out most of the time and another group I do not know other than maybe one of them is Mr. Box. They get stopped by the police in front of the Yuzuki residence and there was a guy who I also do not know about.

in Kyogoku Natsuhiko's novel,there are prepense dislocations in narration,some cheats are also made on readers.the scenes of Kubo, the writer(a killer,but also a victim in deed) is the key to the whole story,but the scenes of Kubo's novel we see by now are all in Sekiguchi‘s deliria,he displaced the real persons' faces with the faces of himself and acquaintances.

and i was quite shocked when hearing this novel would be adapted into anime and aired.
after all,it is a transnatural story which contains incest,rebuilding of human's body,serial murders,abnormality in psycho ,and may make reader feel uncomfortable

there is also a film screened in 2007 ,though it dropped some parts of the novel,but can still offer a clear line of the story.
sunflexOct 18, 2008 7:38 PM
Oct 20, 2008 1:00 PM

Oct 2007
That was an interesting episode there. Thing seems to be scattered all over everywhere now. Maybe next episode we will get some clue to what exactly happened there.
sunflex said:
and i was quite shocked when hearing this novel would be adapted into anime and aired.
after all,it is a transnatural story which contains incest,rebuilding of human's body,serial murders,abnormality in psycho ,and may make reader feel uncomfortable.

I can see what you mean there after these 2 episodes and thx for that info.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 20, 2008 6:47 PM

Mar 2008
Odd second episode. Was kinda all over the place.
Oct 20, 2008 9:33 PM

Jul 2008

angel999 said:

Ok, I just saw it subs.Basically everyone is concerned of Yuzuki's suicide and they learn that she survives. They wonder what caused it. The detective Kiba wants to know who should die before here since it was mentioned something can happen should Kanako die before a certain someone.

We know Amemiya Noritada is in fact the guardian but then it may mean Kanako's parents aren't around.

I really don't like Youko cause she seems suspicious too much. Like she planned something, especially when I see her at the end with that guy.

Oct 21, 2008 12:16 AM

Mar 2008
i liked the atnosphere and the crazy narrative.
Oct 21, 2008 12:17 AM

Jul 2007
I'm still not sure what to make of this series.... I have a feeling that when I do it will already end...
Oct 21, 2008 12:40 AM

Aug 2007
myth720 said:
I'm still not sure what to make of this series.... I have a feeling that when I do it will already end...

Thats usually the case with things like this. :P

I'm really interested as to whats going on. I want the next episode!

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Oct 21, 2008 7:34 AM

Jan 2008
Another great episode - this time switching from entriguingly "weird" into a more investigation like mood. The sound and atmosphere was great - showering us with potential clues and loose ends, but still keeping focus on the main story - really well done imo. I really hope this keeps up, quality wise.

Other than the points mentioned in above posts, I found one particular thing interesting. Someone mentioned at one point, during the hospital scene, if we were sure that Yuzuki might not be the real Yuzuki! - Does that refer to the conversations between Yuzuki and the other girl (forgot her name) - and does that imply that the entire "you become me" thing is a "family tradition" ?

Anyways Yuzuki's entire family seems screwed up and probarbly have more secrets than they can hide away in their cellar - even though that mansion was huge.
~five exclamation marks is the sure sign of an insane mind~
Oct 21, 2008 9:45 AM

Apr 2008
This series is great! You never know what you're supposed to think and what is the truth behind everything
Oct 21, 2008 9:59 AM

Jun 2008
so confusing...
Oct 21, 2008 12:05 PM

Oct 2007
Maybe Yuzuki found that her body was imperfect, cos she had a pimple so she switched bodies? k i joke

Just wondering did they fast foward the timeline in the episode?
or was it the new hospital Yuzuki was transferred to, at the end of the ep
Oct 21, 2008 1:11 PM

Aug 2008
Im watching this series with constant 'WTF?! is this about' in my mind.
Setting and narration are really awesome.
GuroFXOct 21, 2008 1:21 PM
Oct 21, 2008 2:29 PM

Mar 2008
i like that its confusing. =D

its nice to see an anime that takes risks.
Oct 21, 2008 10:53 PM

Dec 2007
just watched episode 2, dont really like this anime so far
Oct 22, 2008 12:09 AM

Jun 2007
I am soooooooooooo confused.
lol, I'm enjoying it :3

Oct 22, 2008 6:08 AM

Apr 2008
M_A said:

Confusing is GOOD =)

I'm liking this series a LOT! ^^
Oct 22, 2008 1:14 PM

Apr 2008
yeah i like this show, even if it's confusing

Oct 22, 2008 1:54 PM
Dec 2007
Honestly, this show is absolutely phenomenal. I mean, everything in it feels more like a very good movie than a series, the music is fantastic, the direction (timing, pace, camera work etc...) is top-notch, the animation is above anything that I've seen this year, and the story seems so much like an old Japanese movie that it's really confusing. All the first part of the episode unfolds in a closed space with a lot of very well written dialogues and characters interaction, a lot of secrets and fights for power and influence, everything set in a little rural area by night in 1953 (hmmm I see similarities to Higurashi also, since there will probably be some horror in Mouryou no Hako in the next episodes).

The second part is a classic road movie mixed with a lot of information and background development, and is exceptionally well directed too... All the characters are important and there's no clear hero, no clear plot line for now, except that we know the main script will deal with a girl head in a box, probably that of Yuzuki. Oh, and the distortions in time are quite interesting too and really serve the plot, contrary to Baccano! for example. I'm absolutely thrilled by this anime and can't wait for the next episode...

Oh and please sunflex, put a spoiler box next time you want to speak about the novel, I don't really want to know the end yet ;)
JacutOct 22, 2008 1:58 PM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 22, 2008 2:57 PM
Dec 2007
Sooo confusing. Last few minutes of the episode got me thinking to much.
Oct 22, 2008 4:57 PM

Oct 2007
It's damn confusing, but that really just makes it more interesting imo, and just makes it more likable as well. Loving this series so far.

Oct 22, 2008 7:53 PM

Nov 2007
Jacut said:
Honestly, this show is absolutely phenomenal. I mean, everything in it feels more like a very good movie than a series, the music is fantastic, the direction (timing, pace, camera work etc...) is top-notch, the animation is above anything that I've seen this year, and the story seems so much like an old Japanese movie that it's really confusing. All the first part of the episode unfolds in a closed space with a lot of very well written dialogues and characters interaction, a lot of secrets and fights for power and influence, everything set in a little rural area by night in 1953 (hmmm I see similarities to Higurashi also, since there will probably be some horror in Mouryou no Hako in the next episodes).

The second part is a classic road movie mixed with a lot of information and background development, and is exceptionally well directed too... All the characters are important and there's no clear hero, no clear plot line for now, except that we know the main script will deal with a girl head in a box, probably that of Yuzuki. Oh, and the distortions in time are quite interesting too and really serve the plot, contrary to Baccano! for example. I'm absolutely thrilled by this anime and can't wait for the next episode...

Oh and please sunflex, put a spoiler box next time you want to speak about the novel, I don't really want to know the end yet ;)

agree 100%
Oct 22, 2008 9:47 PM

Jun 2007
*brain explodes* so amazing yet so confusing. Two story's going on at the same time and then they merge into one >.< so much craziness going on.

Also, I was thinking, since someone mentioned incest, could Yuzuki and the other girl be related by blood? That would explain the whole "You are me and I am you" thing in a more realistic way. In either case that last scene where the cops surround the car and the sister in the kimono and the older guy that's dating the other girls mother show up together at the door way alone, I started thinking weird thoughts.
Oct 22, 2008 10:24 PM
Oct 2008
Just like all madhouse anime this fall great animation, the story is pretty good it leaves you with a thought of what is going on what is behind the door and it looks like it could also lead to some horror genre type of stuff it should be interesting
Oct 23, 2008 11:39 AM

Oct 2008
Jacut said:

Took the words out of my mouth, I couldn't put it any better so I'm just gonna quote you.

This has greatly impressed me so far and I can't wait for more. Also when I first heard about the series I instantly thought of Higurashi, I hope it's similar. Those who watched it know it started without as much action but after a few episodes it exploded at some parts.
Oct 23, 2008 12:53 PM

Jun 2008
It's very interesting. And I love the opening song a lot!
Oct 23, 2008 3:41 PM
Sep 2008
hirahira said:

+1.but it's a little confusing.it's very mysterious anime.
Oct 23, 2008 4:31 PM

Dec 2007
I don't know what to think of this so far, maybe it's too soon. I have no clue where this series is headed.
Oct 23, 2008 5:55 PM

Jun 2008
??? That's all i could say. well, i'll continue to try to watch it and hopefully it'll get clearer in time. feels like there are lots of time skip
Oct 24, 2008 1:38 PM

May 2008
It's kinda confusing but it makes me wanting to watch more and see how this will go.
Oct 25, 2008 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
This series is 100% quality. I can't wait for the next episode...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2008 3:10 PM
Jul 2008
hirahira said:

+1 :lol:
Oct 25, 2008 9:44 PM

Jan 2007
A very nice episode. the intensity is all there. still a bit confused though, but I believe once more pieces are in play, i can start trying to make sense of things.
Oct 26, 2008 3:42 AM
Mar 2008
M_A said:

I agree!!
It doesn't all have to be clear from the first episode.
I just hope they don't jump around the timeline too much :)

Nice episode and great series so far
Oct 26, 2008 4:46 AM

Mar 2008
Deadpool135 said:
I don't know what to think of this so far, maybe it's too soon. I have no clue where this series is headed.

I agree. Still haven't decided if I will add this to my list and continue watching it. I think I will take a look at episode 3.

Good OP/ED, great art and character design. Only the story is pretty cloudy.
Oct 26, 2008 7:09 AM

Feb 2008
I don't understand anything but I'm intrigued enough to keep watching to the end. The production itself is great so I hope the story will deliver as well.
Oct 26, 2008 1:46 PM

Nov 2007
i love this. and i thik the whole thing makes sense. cause they don't want to get old and ugly, so each live, they kill each other when they'r still beaitifull.
Oct 27, 2008 12:03 AM

Jan 2008
I don't know what's happening either but still a good watch.
Oct 27, 2008 11:27 AM

Apr 2008
Too early to call it a masterpiece? Probably.

It's funny how the OP mentions being born again yet the song was released as a single on the 17th of last month.
LoveWifeLunchOct 27, 2008 11:31 AM
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 27, 2008 4:50 PM

May 2008
While not as great as the first episode the second episode shows that the series can deliver in the writing department. The conversations in the first part between Kiba and those there on the behalf of Kanako were good old fashioned mystery dialogue with vague but hinting references to Kanako's family situation and possible causes of the incident. The dialogue in the second part followed this trend what with mentioning the finding of limbs which may possibly be Kanako's given the situation at the end of the episode (although that's some pretty terrible luck to be a victim of a murder while still recovering from a attempted murder or suicide). Then again I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Yoriko could be behind both of these things as she seems very mentally unstable. Either way I look forward to watching more of this series ('tis a shame that the good subs for it take so long).
Oct 28, 2008 12:59 PM

Aug 2008
Eh, a lot of rehashing and exposition. Didn't really care...I don't even remember what happened.
Oct 28, 2008 2:17 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Confused me quite a bit as well, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 30, 2008 10:55 AM

Nov 2007
Depressing that this series is still ranked so low. It's probably the best I've seen from this season so far.
Oct 30, 2008 1:27 PM

Feb 2008
MMmhh.... I dont know. Its too early for me to decide if I really like it or not, I guess. ;)
Nov 5, 2008 10:01 PM

Jun 2008
still as great as ep.1, i'm loving it!
and BOO it'll only be 13 episodes, how saddening =/
Nov 15, 2008 6:20 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
omg...

animated...novel??

It's like I'm reading a novel....The plot is very very hard to grasp.....

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 17, 2009 2:54 PM

Oct 2007
It's getting good towards the ending.
Oct 17, 2009 1:05 PM
Jul 2009
So damn confusing, and no offense, but all the men in this show look alike :(
Feb 22, 2010 7:24 PM

Jun 2008
Ok the events happening in the second part are about two weeks. At least that's what i got from the dates shown in the black screens. So the second part must be after the transfer to the new hospital occurred. But is that building that looks like a box the second hospital? Also there is the question of who's limps where scattered. Was it Kanako's?

BTW i noticed a mistake. According to the dates given the year is 1952 but the police officer says that he loved the movie "Sanshiro" that was actually made in 1955. Kind of skipped three years there buddy.
Mar 27, 2010 5:44 AM

Apr 2009
Even though I desperately need for things to clear up, I enjoy this a LOT. The visuals are great, especially the use of light. It's really interesting.
DO WANT MOAR
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DeathfireD - Jan 2, 2010

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 25, 2023 10:12 PM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 5 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 4, 2008

29 by eblf2013 »»
Aug 22, 2023 1:29 PM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 21, 2008

51 by eblf2013 »»
Aug 22, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 12 Discussion

Mikiyo - Jul 30, 2009

17 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:18 PM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 11 Discussion

Mikiyo - Jul 14, 2009

11 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 12, 2023 6:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.