Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2013 2:42 AM
Jan 2010
Japanese people just love this kind of stories... But I fucking hate them. When I started watching this anime I expected a lot more music. I guess 9/10.
Feb 3, 2013 11:15 PM
Jan 2013
long shot here, but does anyone know what song plays when kaoru runs out of ritsuko's house? starts around the 7 minute mark. i was anticipating a sample of "blue in green" throughout the whole series, and it finally came up, but i have yet to find this on any ost/youtube vids :(
Feb 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Dec 2009
for people who want a more completed and sweet ending, they really should go to read the last vol of the manga.
Have Questions about Another(eg the cause of the Calamity ?the clues about the Another? etc)?
Join the Another Q&A Club now and find your answers there!

Feb 15, 2013 12:51 PM

Aug 2012
The feels

.. It's too much.
Feb 17, 2013 9:22 AM

Feb 2012
finished this series in one sitting. got seriously hooked after watching one episode after another. obviously, i did enjoy this one! i'll probably follow -Riri-'s advice by reading the last volume of the manga.

good one, good one!!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Feb 27, 2013 12:18 PM

Oct 2009
This show had such an unique feel to it. Loved every minute of it.
Mar 10, 2013 8:57 AM

Nov 2008
Seeing them all grown up after 8 years... all those years in high school.. all beautiful memories. :,)
Mar 10, 2013 7:03 PM

Jul 2012
It's over :(
Mar 17, 2013 6:47 PM

Feb 2012
This is the perfect ending, even if for my taste its a little sad.A wonderful tale about friendship and love, but a realistic one. Watanabe and Kanno have made another masterpiece!
Mar 18, 2013 10:03 AM

Oct 2012
I read some comments and some people say it was a perfect ending or even the best ending, but I can't see that, it was a good ending indeed, but it seemed that Sentarou would never come back to his family or reveal where he was, nor will Kaoru go after Ritsuko. It has been 8 years, that's a hell of a long time, it was about time to Sentarou do something, appearing on that picture didn't seem a plan, the odds of them seeing that was very low. Kaoru leaving Ritsuko alone was something I couldn't understand too, I felt bad for her, and if it wasn't because that picture she was going to be alone forever?

I'm not complaining about it (tough it seems so), like I said, it was a good ending, but not the best/perfect one because I think that if nobody who knows them would see that picture, they would stay as they were forever.
Mar 20, 2013 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
At first i didn't have a high expectations for this anime, but when i decide it to watch it.... ..... ...... OMG!

I finished the anime in just 1 day.. x3 (well it's just 12 eps though) xD
this anime giving me the shiver.. xD the song is so good ( i love all Yuki song ) and the story about friendship, first love, family..

my biggest regret is, the ending is not having so much closure.. x3 the three of them are just seeing each other and laugh and then... ... FIN
WTF!! o,O
it is still 1 of the great storyline though.. XD (now onto the Sakamichi no Apollon Manga) x3
Mar 22, 2013 3:51 PM
Oct 2012
Mar 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Mar 2013
Just finished watching the series. A very-very generous rating would definitely be 8/10 from me! (honestly 7/10, but oh man this was so enjoyable to watch!)

But oh man..that last episode.. I cried out buckets, a nice steady amount of tears n' joy.

Of course, the last episode could've been better..but praise God because I haven't cried like that in awhiles :)
Mar 26, 2013 11:49 PM

Oct 2011
cowboy2402 said:

I like how this guy makes his first post just so he can use a screenshot of the anime as a meme haha.

This anime was brilliant, but this ending was beyond rushed. Sentaro seriously left his family/friends behind for 8 years after that accident, then they expect to pick right where they left off? It's okay to ditch people who care about you for almost a decade because you'll still be cool just like that?

No dude, just no.

Anime ending adaptation was pretty half-assed, I'm off to the manga to see how the story really ends :)
Mar 27, 2013 8:49 PM
Aug 2007
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that ending was so unsatisfying. The whole of this episode was unsatisfying!

First of all, why the hell did Sen just run off like that?! WHYYYYY?!?!?!? And then Nishimi just became so rude to Ritsuko and also ran away. Felt so bad for her..

And then all of a sudden there's a time skip of EIGHT years?!? That is far too long and it made me feel completely disconnected with them.. I mean, the anime spends the entire time building their characters and you really get to know them, but then suddenly you don't really know them anymore, who knows whats happened to them during these eight year...

So anyway, they meet up and everything is fine and dandy? (I get the feeling that they performed the piece they were originally going to do at the third-year festival)

Man, that was so rushed. So extremely rushed. And that leaves me disappointed. Because the 11 episodes before it were excellent.
Apr 4, 2013 9:05 PM

Nov 2011
wow 12 episodes back to back and finished at 4 in the morning ,did not expect to stay this late but just couldn't drop it, i'm really glad i decided to watch this though i have to admit i would've liked a definite ending but basically the song at the end says that the melody is stuck in the head just like love so that's basically implying the love is still there for kaoru and ri chan (or so i hope) ,a definite 10/10 for me ,packed with great emotional scenes but without forced drama ,a new favorite for me
becoolApr 4, 2013 9:15 PM
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

- The biggest challenge in life is being yourself… In a world trying to make you like everyone else
Apr 28, 2013 3:58 AM

Nov 2012
How come that all anime series i don't expect much of turn out to be great series. Maybe I'm still in the heat of the moment but i fucking loved the ending.
May 3, 2013 1:09 PM
Mar 2010
Wow. LOVED the ending. I was getting sick of each one of the characters behaviours during the latter half of the series, prompting me to rate it a 7. They all literally got unbearably stupid in one way or another. This ending though...pulled it up to an 8. It's dissatisfying, I believe, if you want the anime to end like most anime do: happy and perfect with rainbows and unicorns. But it doesn't. From the moment Nishimi left for college, the episode got superb. Ri'ko running on the platform, saying goodbye with a big smile...couldn't have done it better. I didn't expect the 8 year time jump and honestly that's a good thing. A poster here said how the gap made him/her totally disconnect with the characters, and I'm pretty sure that was the point. You're not supposed to know them anymore. It's the future. Things have changed. Life goes on. That's why it's so special when they reconnect. It's like old times...like they're the same people they once were...like nothing changed. I think we all need to get out of this fantasy that two people who meet in high school will end up getting married. It does happen, of course, but often times it doesn't. The way that they dealt with Ri'ko getting married to someone else and Nishimi throwing himself into work was very realistic and unexpected from an anime. I've got nothing but praise for this ending, because even though during the rest of the show I wasn't deeply connected with the characters, I got choked up at their reintroduction. The way they played the theme song when Sen and Nishimi were running freely was perfect and, considering how the last few episodes panned out, nostalgic.

"This melody....is like love."

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
May 4, 2013 1:18 PM

Nov 2009
I was expecting an end of this kind, because it did seem Sentaro wouldnt get the girl.
Overall, 9/10. Really loved it.
May 7, 2013 6:43 PM

Apr 2012
Very nice show was happy with the ending but their wasen't enough closure for me thankfully the manga did I recommend reading the manga at least the bonus track chapter it had the closure I was looking for.
Toshihiro_ChrisAug 3, 2015 4:23 PM
May 8, 2013 7:02 PM

May 2010
If you ask me, nothing happened at all in this episode.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 15, 2013 10:17 PM
May 2012
I like this ending better than the manga. Having an open end where it's up to the readers/watchers to form his/her own ending based on his/her understanding of the story are the best IMO.
May 24, 2013 1:11 PM

Feb 2013
This anime was fucking awesome until this bitch Yurika Fukahori fell in love with Junichi.
FUCK YOU YURIKA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said...
May 24, 2013 2:19 PM

Dec 2012
I LOVE THIS SHOW. Will Become one of my Favorites! 8.5-9/10 :D
May 28, 2013 3:19 PM

May 2012
That's it?

So, he runs away for the second time (and succeeds) without explanation or telling anyone about it? We're supposed to accept that? We're also supposed to accept that Karou then turns into a rapey emo douche? (Okay that last one isn't that surprising)
Sentarou just doesn't strike me a person who would run out on his friends and family, that is selfish and cowardly, but i guess he had me fooled.

Then they coincidentally play again 8 years later (more time skips, yay) and all is forgiven i guess. Well, it's definitely an ending. It was sweet, but I dont know if it's a satisfying one too. Having so many time skips and rushing through the plot just isn't acceptable. Then there was all stuff with Jun and his girl which i couldn't give a rat's ass about. He was apparently a political activist/college student but it wasn't explained or developed very well, probably due to the time skips. Same with Sentarou's daddy issues or Karou's bipolar. If there was ever an anime that needed more episodes in between to flesh out the story and characters, it's this one.

I definitely liked the show better in its earlier episodes, when it wasn't so glum and angsty... It was more like the OP promises: People bonding over music and just having a good time. :D

Santarou and Karou's relationship were also a sight to behold: Equal parts touching and heartbreaking :( That and the music are enough reasons to watch this anime!
8/10
who_dat_ninjaMay 28, 2013 3:54 PM
May 28, 2013 7:54 PM

May 2009
Disappointed. My expectations skyrocketed when I learned that the show was directed by Watanabe and the music was composed by Yoko Kano, but in the end it turned out to be just another high school anime melodrama. The premise was great, I loved the first episode, but after watching the second and third episodes I had a feeling it wouldn't work out for me. Whiny teenagers overreacting about everything, incoherent storytelling, awful pacing; the story was a mess of emotions that at some point I just stopped caring about the characters. Obviously, given the production value, it was done rather well for what it is, but I stepped into this anime expecting something completely different.
May 31, 2013 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
aimedamiss said:
That was such a watanabe ending.
Jun 8, 2013 8:09 PM
Oct 2009
The ending had a lot of closure if you assume the main characters are gay.
Jun 11, 2013 3:00 PM

Sep 2007
sweet_jones said:
The ending had a lot of closure if you assume the main characters are gay.

That made me piss myself!

Jun 18, 2013 12:47 AM

Jan 2009
The ending is fair enough.
There were people bickering that it is too illogical, all o them gathering and smiling/playing like nothing happened, after (oh, my God, 8 years).
To me it is as close to realistic as it ever could be. It is definitely after 8 years, when they have gained experience, could re-evaluate their own mistakes and behavior, and finally let go of the past drama.

And why everyone thinks that everything have to end with " and they lived happily till they died". C'mon guys, it is too cliche. We are too spoiled with straight forward and dumb endings in cinema, anime, manga and games. Use your imagination for once.
Jun 26, 2013 11:40 AM
Jun 2013
Sen was my favourite character and I was glad to see how things turned out for him. The scene in the church made me tear up, seeing that even though his life is so different from before, he still has music, and that connection with his friends. But I have to admit, he was the only reason I finished this series. The rest was... meh.

I might have liked Kaoru a little more if didn't go all rapey on Ritsuko, but that scene made me stop caring about him altogether, even if he didn't go all the way. Whatever made Ritsuko still like him after that is beyond me.

The Jun and Yurika plot was okay. The music was pretty good.

But Sentaro is the best!
"You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch? Yeah, I'm trackin' 'em down as we speak." ~ Osaka, Azumanga Daioh
Jun 28, 2013 2:42 AM

Jan 2009
Misako-chan said:
...even if he didn't go all the way. Whatever made Ritsuko still like him after that is beyond me...But Sentaro is the best!

Wow, it's not like this series is targeted for 13-17 year old girls. It is actually josey, you know.
If for a random shoujo such actions would be inexusable and shocking, and a person would be labaled as a bad guy, it is more or less acceptable for a more mature audience. When you grow up, you come to understand, there are various reasons and situations, as well as misunderstandings.
I'm sure in manga this accident (if there is one in manga actually) is cleared out without any problem.
This whole situation was included in anime for the sole purpose of conveying Kaoru's despair and confused state of mind. In my view it worked out really well.
Jul 4, 2013 9:46 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, i did NOT expect to cry, but 8 years apart was a true heartbreak for a true friendship, and Sen becoming a priest was simply perfect. I did miss Ritsuko in the second part though. I give it a 8/10.
Jul 4, 2013 9:46 PM

May 2012
It was a nice ending. I know that in the manga Kaoru and Ritsuko get married but to me it feels as if it would be more natural (and bittersweet) if they both married other people. Eight years is a long time to go without contact.
Jul 23, 2013 1:18 PM

May 2008
Nice ending.
Jul 28, 2013 5:57 PM

Sep 2011
I like the ending. It felt a little rush because of the 8 year gap but I still like it. Sentarou being a priest makes sense and it's the best for him. I'm just glad for all of them. Jun and Yurika seem to be fine. Kaoru became a doctor. Everyone's ok and the three finally met again. 9/10
pew pew pew
Aug 5, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2011
Perfect ending for the anime, "unlike romance, friendship is forever" indeed.
Live forever, or die trying
Aug 23, 2013 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
That hairstyle. Good thing the three of them met again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2013 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
tsukigari said:
Perfect ending for the anime, "unlike romance, friendship is forever" indeed.

Ditto. So glad I picked this series up!
Sep 29, 2013 1:40 PM

Jun 2013
Something about Sen becoming a priest just bugged me. Still a great series, 9/10, but something about that particular ending for him just rubbed me the wrong way.
Oct 5, 2013 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
So! The anime decided to end it up with 8 years later.
and it was finished off as MUSIC & FRIENDS > LOVER.
Thought it was great! just that, it was seem like the points that i wanted to be cleared weren't there so, 8/10 for me. :)
STILL, it was a happy ending. FRIENDS FOREVER THEME. :D

So, what i wanted to know is:
1. What happened with those 8 years?
2. Did the relationship of Richan and Kaorusan as lovers ended just like that?
3. What about Sentarou and his family?
4. SO, for 8 years, did Kaoru-san felt gloomy as he was before until he knew where Sen is?
5. What happens after they met each other again???? :D

--- STILL, what made me happy was that they moved forward with their lives. Sen (as mentioned by Kaoru) suits to have children around him. I thought being a teacher was a way but a priest surrounded by orphans is also nice. Ri-chan, not knowing her background, but that smile of hers? ahh~ Subarashii~ she's a strong woman after all! :) and finally, Kaoru-san?Nice hairstyle. it suits him better! :D felt like he immersed himself as a doctor and never had fun until he met Yurika again (w/ that picture). :D

So. then. Off to manga to end this all well. :D
Oct 18, 2013 8:09 PM

Jun 2013
Epic ending! It's eight years later, Richie's a doctor, and Sen's a priest! This anime is awesome! My sister's complaining right now that though she loved the ending, it didn't end how she wanted it to (she wanted Rich and Ri to end up together). Fr.Sen and Rich runnin' down the slope ended it perfectly. I give this anime a 10 out of 10! Now I need to re-watch it!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Nov 9, 2013 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
It kills me to such a beautiful anime end and it amazes me how each character has grown to who they actually are... Gosh... now i have to find another anime that can let me get over this one

I give this anime a 10/10
Nov 28, 2013 5:52 PM

Feb 2012
Bes ending to an anime ive seen in a long time. 9/10 series. Bros>Romance.
Dec 3, 2013 6:17 AM

May 2009
A lot of people seem miffed about the unknown eight year gap but this anime only had 12 episodes to tell the story and I think it told it well. GREAT anime.
Dec 4, 2013 1:45 PM
Jul 2013
It's great that they were all able to meet up..after 8 years but i think sentaro forgot about something important when he left selfishly. he always wanted to protect his family right? yet he abandonded them and basically raised a new one as a priest. it was going so well but then bam lets just destroy all the progress made in 10 episodes
Dec 7, 2013 2:32 AM

Nov 2012
Bromance! Music was honey for my ears. Overall deserve to be in top 9/10.
Dec 21, 2013 12:45 AM

Jun 2009
I knew this finale was going to be a good one and it did not disappoint. I give it a 8/10. I'll really miss watching it. One of the very few animes I have ever marathoned and not gotten bored.

I'm so happy everyone achieved their dreams. Kaoru got such a good hairstyle but Sen looks so weird with his new one.

The beautiful "devil music" they made was so beautiful it nearly drove me to tears. That bromance!! T_T

But what now? Will they all move to live close to Sen? What about their jobs?
Jan 2, 2014 9:33 PM

Feb 2013
Man this was such a treasure. It was easily one of the easiest things to watch, loved it.
Jan 15, 2014 5:45 PM
Jun 2013
I'm going to keep this short because I already wrote a long ass review but then my phone logged out.

Great anime. I wasn't a fan of that cliche predictable love triangle shit but what I was a fan of was the relationship between Sentaro and Kaoru and how they expressed their feelings through their music. I really like Sentaro's character; big and tough, yet caring and sensitive on the inside.

Very unique and although the ending seemed a bit rushed and unrealistic, I thought it ended nicely. Quite depressing as well in some parts. Especially the part where Sentaro broke down and the train scene. Overall I rate this a 8.4/10.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2012

136 by lazypanda666 »»
Jan 27, 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.