Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2013 11:40 AM
Jun 2013
Sen was my favourite character and I was glad to see how things turned out for him. The scene in the church made me tear up, seeing that even though his life is so different from before, he still has music, and that connection with his friends. But I have to admit, he was the only reason I finished this series. The rest was... meh.

I might have liked Kaoru a little more if didn't go all rapey on Ritsuko, but that scene made me stop caring about him altogether, even if he didn't go all the way. Whatever made Ritsuko still like him after that is beyond me.

The Jun and Yurika plot was okay. The music was pretty good.

But Sentaro is the best!
"You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch? Yeah, I'm trackin' 'em down as we speak." ~ Osaka, Azumanga Daioh
Jun 28, 2013 2:42 AM

Jan 2009
Misako-chan said:
...even if he didn't go all the way. Whatever made Ritsuko still like him after that is beyond me...But Sentaro is the best!

Wow, it's not like this series is targeted for 13-17 year old girls. It is actually josey, you know.
If for a random shoujo such actions would be inexusable and shocking, and a person would be labaled as a bad guy, it is more or less acceptable for a more mature audience. When you grow up, you come to understand, there are various reasons and situations, as well as misunderstandings.
I'm sure in manga this accident (if there is one in manga actually) is cleared out without any problem.
This whole situation was included in anime for the sole purpose of conveying Kaoru's despair and confused state of mind. In my view it worked out really well.
Jul 4, 2013 9:46 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, i did NOT expect to cry, but 8 years apart was a true heartbreak for a true friendship, and Sen becoming a priest was simply perfect. I did miss Ritsuko in the second part though. I give it a 8/10.
Jul 4, 2013 9:46 PM

May 2012
It was a nice ending. I know that in the manga Kaoru and Ritsuko get married but to me it feels as if it would be more natural (and bittersweet) if they both married other people. Eight years is a long time to go without contact.
Jul 23, 2013 1:18 PM

May 2008
Nice ending.
Jul 28, 2013 5:57 PM

Sep 2011
I like the ending. It felt a little rush because of the 8 year gap but I still like it. Sentarou being a priest makes sense and it's the best for him. I'm just glad for all of them. Jun and Yurika seem to be fine. Kaoru became a doctor. Everyone's ok and the three finally met again. 9/10
pew pew pew
Aug 5, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2011
Perfect ending for the anime, "unlike romance, friendship is forever" indeed.
Live forever, or die trying
Aug 23, 2013 6:07 AM

Nov 2009
That hairstyle. Good thing the three of them met again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2013 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
tsukigari said:
Perfect ending for the anime, "unlike romance, friendship is forever" indeed.

Ditto. So glad I picked this series up!
Sep 29, 2013 1:40 PM

Jun 2013
Something about Sen becoming a priest just bugged me. Still a great series, 9/10, but something about that particular ending for him just rubbed me the wrong way.
Oct 5, 2013 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
So! The anime decided to end it up with 8 years later.
and it was finished off as MUSIC & FRIENDS > LOVER.
Thought it was great! just that, it was seem like the points that i wanted to be cleared weren't there so, 8/10 for me. :)
STILL, it was a happy ending. FRIENDS FOREVER THEME. :D

So, what i wanted to know is:
1. What happened with those 8 years?
2. Did the relationship of Richan and Kaorusan as lovers ended just like that?
3. What about Sentarou and his family?
4. SO, for 8 years, did Kaoru-san felt gloomy as he was before until he knew where Sen is?
5. What happens after they met each other again???? :D

--- STILL, what made me happy was that they moved forward with their lives. Sen (as mentioned by Kaoru) suits to have children around him. I thought being a teacher was a way but a priest surrounded by orphans is also nice. Ri-chan, not knowing her background, but that smile of hers? ahh~ Subarashii~ she's a strong woman after all! :) and finally, Kaoru-san?Nice hairstyle. it suits him better! :D felt like he immersed himself as a doctor and never had fun until he met Yurika again (w/ that picture). :D

So. then. Off to manga to end this all well. :D
Oct 18, 2013 8:09 PM

Jun 2013
Epic ending! It's eight years later, Richie's a doctor, and Sen's a priest! This anime is awesome! My sister's complaining right now that though she loved the ending, it didn't end how she wanted it to (she wanted Rich and Ri to end up together). Fr.Sen and Rich runnin' down the slope ended it perfectly. I give this anime a 10 out of 10! Now I need to re-watch it!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Nov 9, 2013 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
It kills me to such a beautiful anime end and it amazes me how each character has grown to who they actually are... Gosh... now i have to find another anime that can let me get over this one

I give this anime a 10/10
Nov 28, 2013 5:52 PM

Feb 2012
Bes ending to an anime ive seen in a long time. 9/10 series. Bros>Romance.
Dec 3, 2013 6:17 AM

May 2009
A lot of people seem miffed about the unknown eight year gap but this anime only had 12 episodes to tell the story and I think it told it well. GREAT anime.
Dec 4, 2013 1:45 PM
Jul 2013
It's great that they were all able to meet up..after 8 years but i think sentaro forgot about something important when he left selfishly. he always wanted to protect his family right? yet he abandonded them and basically raised a new one as a priest. it was going so well but then bam lets just destroy all the progress made in 10 episodes
Dec 7, 2013 2:32 AM

Nov 2012
Bromance! Music was honey for my ears. Overall deserve to be in top 9/10.
Dec 21, 2013 12:45 AM

Jun 2009
I knew this finale was going to be a good one and it did not disappoint. I give it a 8/10. I'll really miss watching it. One of the very few animes I have ever marathoned and not gotten bored.

I'm so happy everyone achieved their dreams. Kaoru got such a good hairstyle but Sen looks so weird with his new one.

The beautiful "devil music" they made was so beautiful it nearly drove me to tears. That bromance!! T_T

But what now? Will they all move to live close to Sen? What about their jobs?
Jan 2, 2014 9:33 PM

Feb 2013
Man this was such a treasure. It was easily one of the easiest things to watch, loved it.
Jan 15, 2014 5:45 PM
Jun 2013
I'm going to keep this short because I already wrote a long ass review but then my phone logged out.

Great anime. I wasn't a fan of that cliche predictable love triangle shit but what I was a fan of was the relationship between Sentaro and Kaoru and how they expressed their feelings through their music. I really like Sentaro's character; big and tough, yet caring and sensitive on the inside.

Very unique and although the ending seemed a bit rushed and unrealistic, I thought it ended nicely. Quite depressing as well in some parts. Especially the part where Sentaro broke down and the train scene. Overall I rate this a 8.4/10.
Jan 21, 2014 9:48 PM
Aug 2013
A doctor in just 8 years, wow he must worked twice as hard. Hairstyle, I was really surprised by it, he looks good.

A PRIEST!!!!!!!!?????? It's not like, I'm disappointed, it was just really unexpected, and really though kind of a waste of such a good face :D (He was really cute when he was little :) ) That hairstyle really suits him :)

The was a really sweet reunion.
Their friendship is really nice :)

For a second there there I thought Ri-chan was the nun behind the priest. Honestly I expected a really big and pretty change on Ri-chan's appearance xD seems that they wanted to keep her like that.

Furika was also just 6 months pregnant, I expected them to get married and have a child in about 3-5 years when they went to Tokyo xD. Good for the chubby one (Mauro?????) and Seiji. I honestly wanted to see Sen's family, Jun-nii-san, and the other's after 8 years as well.

I think they should have ended with just the opening song, it kinda feels special that way :\ Always liked it more than the ending song.
This ending was really mild and sweet, very realistic just like the rest of the episodes.
Feb 10, 2014 12:42 PM

Jul 2013
That was an awesome ending.

This is probably the strongest bromance I've seen in any anime. I liked how they time skipped 8 years into the future. You don't see many animes where they show what happen to the characters after highschool. Them reuniting after all those years at the end was heart warming.

10/10
Feb 20, 2014 2:35 PM
Jan 2014
This was a great episode, btw for everyone who thought the ending was "open-ended" for Kaoro and Ri-chan, go read the manga it gives a better definite happy ending for those two. It even shows how sentaro became a priest lol.
Feb 24, 2014 5:31 AM

Jul 2013
Hated it. There was no real closure and I got to really like these characters and by extension the series so it really pissed me off. I dont feel it handled the last two episodes well and they just threw a cliche ending because they couldnt think of a proper sendoff. 8 years without seeing each other without so much as a goodbye? What a betrayal to Kaoru and Ritsuko.
Mar 3, 2014 5:06 AM

Feb 2014
Before the ending where we see the three of them standing on the slope, the last time Kaoru/Ritsuko conversed (or as far as we know) it looked like it could have turned into a crime scene there for a second.

The train scene makes up for it a little bit, I guess. Still, for the 15/16 year old versions of these characters (who we shared the journey with for eleven and a half episodes), that was basically the ending/feeling we were left with. I still have the same connection to the older versions of these characters - to an extent, but it just doesn't feel the same. That's why I don't particularly like the ending of this series.
Mar 8, 2014 10:26 AM

Aug 2012
Man ... my heart aches a little , and that's not because its sad , the train scene , the heartwarming ending , the emotions i felt in this ep is overwhelming me right now . This series portrait friendship and the process of growing up perfectly . I love it till the end , will miss this show .
Mar 11, 2014 8:05 AM

Aug 2012
I really didn't care for this finale. It was a little to paint by numbers for me, in the fact that I called pretty much everything that was going to happen (once the timeskip happened). This doesn't necessarily mean the content was bad but I don't know, I just couldn't get that into & I'd blame that on poor pacing. I haven't read the manga but from what I gather, they did the best job they could've giving the amount of time they had (though who knows why the fuck they kept the ED) but to me, I don't know it just left a bad taste. Luckily, they played the OP during the ending of the episode, as it's impossible for me to be upset when that songs playing. But yeah, rushed ending is bad. Also, the train scene wasn't a fourth as good as the one with Jun's.

Overall, this does hurt my impression of the show but still, I really enjoyed this series. The music was glorious (Yoko Kanno's name is attached & she rarely disappoints), Sentaro was a great character (I have my issues with pretty much everyone else in the show though [except maybe Jun] but in the end I ended up liking mostly everyone, even Yurika to my surprise), the story was pretty quick paced which worked to it's advantage more often than not (for an example of it not working, well read above) & I really liked the relationship between Sentaro & Richie.

I think the thing that's going to stick with me the most about this anime, isn't any of the drama, twists, subplots that I'm not entirely sure belong in here (Jun's basically, I liked it fine but seemed to mostly detract from the facets the show really excelled at) or the distinctive art style, it's just going to be the beauty of jamming' Jazz. Those jam sessions were usually the thing that I enjoyed the most each episode & I can completely understand why that's Richie & Sentaro's go-to-make-up-method. Oh & that awesome OP (for the song & the visuals, one of my favorites). Which can actually summarize my favorite part of the series up rather eloquently, "This melody . . . is like love."
Apr 2, 2014 2:12 PM

Dec 2012
That conclusion was so brilliant and sensationally heartwarming, I could not stop smiling when Sen and Kaoru were jamming out again in the church. They were probably speaking volumes to make up for those 8 years through each note. Seeing the kids clapping and cheering along with it just completed the whole feel good sensation that went with this last scene. And then I was roaring with laughter when Sen was like "Run, Richie!" He always knows how to keep everything in high spirits.

Overall this was a remarkably enjoyable series. Filled with romance, laughs, heartbreak, and beautifully executed interactions between memorably down to Earth characters. Truly one of a kind, and each performance felt like a conversation between Sentarou and Kaoru. Something else I took away from this series is that life is like jazz. It's unexpected and moves in ways you can't control. But it's still so exciting, with a rhythm that makes me want to keep on going.

Going to say either a 9 or 10/10, one of the most satisfying watches I've had in a long time.
ZekkenshinApr 2, 2014 2:16 PM
Apr 7, 2014 6:08 AM

Aug 2013
*slow clap*

Made my day.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 7, 2014 2:04 PM

Feb 2009
Fuckin loved it! Amazing! 10/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 10, 2014 2:22 PM

Jul 2013
I really didn't like the way Kaoru was acting in the first half of this episode and while the second half was a bit rushed the final scene(s) were just so wonderful I can let it all slide.

The show itself was just so charming I really enjoyed. The setting was well crafted, the music enjoyable, the interactions between characters felt realistic for the most part, and though the drama sometimes felt overblown or cliche it still felt reasonable.

8/10
Apr 27, 2014 11:21 PM

Jun 2011
Eh, would have loved a few more minutes of this, it wasn't satisfying enough for me, but
Burgerboner69 said:
This was a great episode, btw for everyone who thought the ending was "open-ended" for Kaoro and Ri-chan, go read the manga it gives a better definite happy ending for those two. It even shows how sentaro became a priest lol.

I will take your word for it and read the last few chapters, hopefully it'll be enough to satisfy me.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 30, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2011
That was quite something. After all, weird behaviour of Kaoru was the only flaw of the show, I guess.
May 9, 2014 10:29 AM

Sep 2013
Good series overall though Im not really a big fan of open endings. I want more Kaoru x Ritsuko hehe. 8/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
May 17, 2014 3:37 PM

May 2012
Damn that ending was just incredible! Really lovely, I was hoping to see Ritsuko and she was there in the end! Really amazing how they managed to make this development and the time skip so perfect!

I just loved the development of both characters and story of this anime, it was just so great and really just enjoyed the whole concept! All in all a great anime! 9/10
May 19, 2014 6:46 PM

Jul 2013
What dumbass decided to keep in the ending song?
"Komugi, are you there?"

May 24, 2014 5:41 PM

Aug 2008
loved this show, only thing they should add more jazz songs in none the less it is great.
Jul 14, 2014 10:25 PM

Jul 2013
Was gonna give it 10/10 but given this ending I'll go with 9/10. I guess it wouldn't be great if everything went smoothly in the end, it just feels like it was lacking and kind of messed up the good thing they had going. Basically I agree wholeheartedly with Terrestrious on the page before this.

Either way, this anime was a wild ride and I really enjoyed it. Definitely a positive experience watching. One of my favorites by far. :)

Edit: I read last few chapters of the manga and the ending left me much more satisfied. If they included it in the anime I probably would have gone to 10/10.
ChanaynayJul 16, 2014 5:32 PM
Aug 5, 2014 2:49 PM

Jan 2014
Angel_Beats said:
it was a fun ride, but the last episode felt like it was lacking in some way. :(
I guess I'll have to read the manga b/c of that x)
I enjoyed every single bit of it. One of my few 10/10. Nuff said ^^
Sep 13, 2014 11:26 AM

Aug 2013
Person who recommended this to me said I'd hate the ending but I actually loved it.
That last scene when they're running and the opening song plays I was crying. That always affects me when they play ending/opening songs as an insert song in end of episode. Same thing with AnoHana and Angel Beats.

Perfect ending. Score went up from 7 to a 9 in the space of 2 episodes. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

5/5, 9/10.
Sep 19, 2014 12:43 AM

Oct 2012
Perfect fucking ending.

9/10 overall.
Nov 17, 2014 7:34 PM

Sep 2014
Got feels. It was a great ending. Sure, a little more closure would've been nice. But honestly, it still was really good. Fantastic Anime all the way through.
Nov 30, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2011
Somehow I don't like Kaoru at all...
Dec 21, 2014 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
This last episode was my favorite, it's such a perfect ending <3
Dec 22, 2014 12:40 AM
Apr 2014
I love this anime!

The ending was awesome but kinda wished a part where Kaoru and Ri-chan got married and stuff.

But I think it'll eventually go to that w/out saying.

The feels when your friendship with some people would be the same in this anime, even after years of staying away with other in the end you would still be those stupid guys who does crazy stuffs and laugh about it at the end of the day.

I would miss this anime so bad.

One of the BEST I've seen in my life, and in the future if i would have a family xD I will recommend this to my son,my grandchildren and to my friends lol

Kaoru,Ri-chan and Sentaro :)

Forever :)
Dec 29, 2014 8:15 PM

Jul 2010
Thought this was going to be 10/10 anime but I have to give it an 9/10 because of the ending, felt a bit rushed and it needed more closure (especially between Kaoru and Ritsuko) and it had too many questions up in the air, but I really enjoyed it even though I don't usually watch these kind of animes.
Jan 2, 2015 2:09 PM

May 2012
To 10th_man_down, sukijiyuu and others: Please check out the MANGA. It will give you all the answers which the anime didn't have time or budget for! :)
Jan 6, 2015 8:44 AM

Apr 2014
Awesome show up until the 8 years later part, which was really bad. So nothing happened between riko and kaoru in the end? Complete letdown =/
Jan 12, 2015 10:46 AM

Dec 2014
I started watch this series, cause currently I'm watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, and love this anime.
But Sakamichi no Apollon is different. This jazz music, this opening and opposite characters ..

9/10.

If in the end Mukae didn't appear, I would give 10/10. It's not that I don't like her. Simply, ending should be reserved only for Sentaro and Kaoru. ;-)
YionHDJan 18, 2015 1:27 AM
Jan 17, 2015 3:41 PM

Mar 2008
09/10 Grat anime serie! with to much tears

friendship lasts forever
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2012

136 by lazypanda666 »»
Jan 27, 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.