Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitles can distract you so much from the actual anime...

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 5, 2012 3:18 PM

Jul 2008
Baman said:
That's assuming there actually are details to miss. In 90% of anime, there isn't, the animation quality is usually pretty cheap, and exaggerated body language and facial expressions leave little subtlety to search for.
Yeah the distraction is really low. If I am watching something with low end animation I don't care if I miss 10 or even 30 frames in a scene. But these guys are trying to say you don't miss any detail in the frames at all... The truth is that it does distract you but if you read fast enough and what not, its not enough of a distraction to complain very much about it unless you are watching something with high detail even then its not that bad you might have to rewind 1 time the whole series.

@miereneronaile
"I might miss a few frames." but they don't matter. hey that's what I said good to see you agreeing with me.

"I don't care how fast you guys read I think it still distracts, even if it is at the frame level of missing things, you are still missing some. Most anime when they talk a lot not too much is going on. You really don't need to see every frame perfectly." - Mow123 2012

What Baman is saying is true I don't know why you are trying to argue with him, you just said you miss frames then you go back to saying you don't because you're on a laptop... you still can't see the full screen in full detail even on a laptop. Baman is saying you don't need to see that detail cause 90% of the time it isn't there which is true.

Baman's you don't need to see it all argument is good and miereneronaile's "I have super human reading skill and sight" argument... no good...

As for shmirkies... I'll just leave him with this and whatever conclusion you come up with is likely, "good enough" for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_span
full detail would be the macula range.
It more of a vision thing I am talking about rather than the brain.
Sep 5, 2012 3:47 PM

Apr 2012
Not really, I often just glance at the subs and get the grasp of what's going on, and still love the shows :)
Sep 5, 2012 4:09 PM

Sep 2010
it's an interesting thought. When you watched subtitles for a while, you sort of forget that you're reading, and it feels like the characters are just talking. Still, I know what you mean, I wish I could understand Japanese well enough to not need subtitles.

I've watched a lot of raw anime though. I don't think reading subtitles is so bad that it detracts from understanding of the story. Instead, perhaps it just forces you to pay more attention.

When I watch shows in English, I often find myself doing other things at the same time. I might have the show open in one window, and a chat with my friend open in another. With anime, of course, that's not possible. But, in a way, that's a good thing. It forces you to be committed.
Sep 5, 2012 7:38 PM
Aug 2012
if you understand Japanese you might pay less attention to the subs.
Sep 6, 2012 4:40 AM

Aug 2012
you have to think that your ability to watch anime w/ subs also depends on the size of your monitor, size of text, color, your distance to the monitor, etc. so each of us have different experiences so don't assume anything. if you want to watch dubs go ahead. we wont be watching subs in the first place if its labor intensive.
Sep 6, 2012 4:59 AM

Jan 2012
(reply to OP)
So True.

That's why I watch the dub if it's decent.
Sep 6, 2012 6:08 AM

Sep 2012
hey guys we don't know japanese. so subtitles very important
Sep 13, 2012 7:28 AM

Jun 2012
Yes of course since you constantly have your eyes in the same location reading and paying attention to that, so you do miss out on some of the audio and visuals.
Sep 13, 2012 7:33 AM
May 2010
CookieMnster said:
Yes of course since you constantly have your eyes in the same location reading and paying attention to that, so you do miss out on some of the audio and visuals.

Can you please explain how my eyes being busy paying attention to something would have any impact on my ability to hear/pay attention to the audio?
Worships Asparagus.
Sep 13, 2012 7:33 AM

Sep 2010
CookieMnster said:

My eyes don't have much to do with my ears. If I am looking at something I am still fully capable of hearing what is going on.

Regardless of where you look on screen you're going to miss out on some of the visuals. Which is why on re-watches people can sometimes notices more details when they shift they attention around the screen more.

Sep 13, 2012 9:34 AM

Apr 2010
Been reading subs for awhile now, I'm used to them. Other than learning the actual language, subs is an needed evil.
Sep 13, 2012 9:35 AM

May 2012
No actually. It have been a great help so far.. :)
Sep 13, 2012 9:42 AM
Aug 2012
Really; if you're used to reading things on the internet your eyes will wander quite a lot.
I can read + watch at the same time. Since subtitles are usually up for a few seconds at a time.
If it's people sitting and talking and such; not much to really view.
Never have I seen an action part of an anime having to deal with a lot of conversation/plot lines and such.
Maybe a few swear words/yells but nothing very meaningful.

For example; Ghost in the Shell. Most action parts have a few short conversations. Or the person is just running.
Expressions change when they make a noise (that doesn't deal with subtitles. like "Huh?")
Longer more intricate conversations are when they are seated etc.

I personally don't know many anime's that have anything that requires a lot of reading during a lot of visual effects.
Again; I usually read 3 words, look up glance to whats going on; and continue reading like that.
If there's something I missed; I usually pause it to re-read it if something got confusing. (Mostly psychological anime's will do that.. or fansubs lol!)

I guess it takes time/getting used to, to read that fast.
Also I've started to pick up on a few japanese words so I stop reading sometimes if I can follow along.
Sep 13, 2012 10:50 AM

Aug 2012
Zanzie said:
Really; if you're used to reading things on the internet your eyes will wander quite a lot.
I can read + watch at the same time. Since subtitles are usually up for a few seconds at a time.
If it's people sitting and talking and such; not much to really view.
Never have I seen an action part of an anime having to deal with a lot of conversation/plot lines and such.
Maybe a few swear words/yells but nothing very meaningful.

For example; Ghost in the Shell. Most action parts have a few short conversations. Or the person is just running.
Expressions change when they make a noise (that doesn't deal with subtitles. like "Huh?")
Longer more intricate conversations are when they are seated etc.

I personally don't know many anime's that have anything that requires a lot of reading during a lot of visual effects.
Again; I usually read 3 words, look up glance to whats going on; and continue reading like that.
If there's something I missed; I usually pause it to re-read it if something got confusing. (Mostly psychological anime's will do that.. or fansubs lol!)

I guess it takes time/getting used to, to read that fast.
Also I've started to pick up on a few japanese words so I stop reading sometimes if I can follow along.

dubbed watchers gonna have a hard time transitioning to subs. maybe that's why they don't get it how easy more like natural for us to watch and read at the same time. XD
Sep 13, 2012 10:54 AM

Nov 2010
shmirkies said:

dubbed watchers gonna have a hard time transitioning to subs. maybe that's why they don't get it how easy more like natural for us to watch and read at the same time. XD

Could it possibly be because they never stick to subs, they just go back and forth. It's easier when you just stick to one.
Sep 13, 2012 11:10 AM

Nov 2008
They can be a welcome distraction from static images and cheap mouth flaps. Unless things are actually moving, then I just glance at the subs quickly.
Sep 13, 2012 11:16 AM

May 2012
I can watch and read at the same time. Don't know how just can. So this isn't a problem for me.
Oct 7, 2012 11:19 AM

Aug 2012
I dont think im missing much because I just look at the subtitles and i can read it in an instant and normally theres not much action going on with long dialogues.
Feb 4, 2014 1:44 AM

Jun 2013
This is very true. Although I've watched so little subbed anime, I am not a slow reader at all, but I am TERRIBLE at multitasking. Also when I was in school I read books faster than most kids, I don't see the problem here. But when there are subs that flash on the screen and disappear as soon as they appear, that is just outrageous. I also hate it when there is a wall of text in a static scene and it just disappear after like 1-2 second, ridiculous. I mean I'm not ashamed to say I have to pause sometimes, I mean nobody is perfect. I will admit I am a slow learner, so it's hard to comprehend subtitles and the action that's going on at the same time. Other than that I have no problem reading the subtitles, but I do have a problem paying attention to what's going on the screen while reading, it is annoying sometimes. I'll get used to it in a few years I guess. I guess that's why I probably watch dubs all the time, but subs are good too.
Feb 4, 2014 1:48 AM

Sep 2013
When the voice acting in anything (film, anime, video games) is in english, the subtitles are incredibly noticeable for me (I really like subs but I found LOTR hard to watch with them).

When the voice acting is in another language, I don't find it distracting at all. Played Metro: Last Light with russian VO and english subs and it didn't affect immersion.
Feb 4, 2014 1:59 AM

Apr 2007
Gonna have to echo what many others have said - if you can read fast it's not a problem. The only anime for which I've ever had to pause for the subtitles was The Tatami Galaxy (and it looks like I'm not the first to mention it). That series doesn't have a dub - and shouldn't, because it's probably undubbable.
Feb 4, 2014 2:03 AM

Oct 2011
Subtitles as distraction was never a problem to me. I can enjoy the visuals and glance at the subs at the same time. Try Tatami Galaxy if you're up for the challenge.
Feb 4, 2014 2:08 AM

Apr 2011
There is such a thing at multi-tasking. So no, reading while watching isn't much of a problem for me.... hell, I've played Pokemon while watching anime.
Feb 4, 2014 2:42 AM

Jun 2010
"Subtitles can distract you so much from the actual anime..."

yea if ur a pleb who doesn't speak glorious nihongo
Feb 4, 2014 3:05 AM

Jun 2013
Actually I take back what I said, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Take the Passion of the Christ for instance, it's easy to read subtitles and watch the movie at the same time. It's no different with anime, by any means. Took me a little while but this what I stand by now.
Feb 4, 2014 3:05 AM

Jan 2014
Well, it never was quite a hard issue for me..
But sometimes I truly wish to understand Japanese :)

But usually I can read quite fast the subtitles, and then I don't read them when it's not necessary.
Feb 4, 2014 3:49 AM

Mar 2012
Never really had an issue, I'm a pretty fast reader.
Feb 4, 2014 3:58 AM

Nov 2013
Yes subs do take a way a little from what is happening on the screen, but if I wouldn't have the subs I wouldn't be able to understand anything of what they were saying.
Feb 4, 2014 3:59 AM

Jun 2008
Op you need to improve your reading skills. It seems you still are at the face of actually trying to read while watching. I don't even try, i do it completely unconsciously, i just glance and read the script. I don't think i lose anything from what is on the screen. I watched raws and it didn't feel like i was seeing more.

DesolateOne said:
You can't forget that some fansubs don't always translate the Japanese to X language perfectly. I see this with a lot of shows and unless you speak Japanese or are familiar with some of the words/phrases spoken in Japanese, it will be hard to understand the context or connotations it brings.

Like the reading again this problem is something you will get over by watching more anime. After watching so many i get a lot of the Japanese dialog, so when things like that happen i still know what the Japanese wanted to do there and how the sub screw it up.
Besides what can you do, go for local dub? The dub will change things even more than the sub.
Feb 4, 2014 4:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Unless you read at a snail's pace this issue does not exist
Feb 4, 2014 5:15 AM

Aug 2013
As it's been already said on the thread, you surely need to improve your reading skills. I watch things with subs since i was 11 and i never thought i was losing something that was happening on the screen. When you get used to subs, you don't even read anymore. Just by glancing at them you can grasp perfectly well what's being said.
Feb 4, 2014 5:20 AM
Dec 2013
I'm a really fast reader so it's not a problem to me.
Feb 4, 2014 5:25 AM

Jan 2014
Unless you're dyslexic, subtitles shouldn't distract you at all. Or you are a slow reader, and need some remedial reading classes.
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 4, 2014 7:03 AM
Nov 2010
Yes, if you've only started watching anime(the ones with subtitles).
Feb 4, 2014 7:17 AM

Dec 2009
It used to be a problem until a learned a little Japanese.

Anime parrots the same shit over and over again so all you need to listen to are key phrases and you pretty much get the gist of what's going on.
Feb 4, 2014 7:33 AM

Feb 2010
Watch the first episodes of Tatami Galaxy 10 times in a row and you'll never have any problems following any subtitles in the future. It's like a training camp for subs.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 4, 2014 8:57 AM

Aug 2012
It happens to me, but it's not because I have to read while watching; it's because a lot of times subtitles are so stiffly written that it's difficult to get into the feel of a scene, not to mention some translators taking the easy way out by putting TL notes instead of coming up with something creative.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 4, 2014 9:00 AM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Watch the first episodes of Tatami Galaxy 10 times in a row and you'll never have any problems following any subtitles in the future. It's like a training camp for subs.
I'm watching that show next, and you're making me nervous lol
Feb 4, 2014 9:03 AM

Apr 2007
Reverb_Shock said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Based on our 74.4% compatibility I think you'll like it. Butitisabithardtofollowifyou'renotpreparedfortheinsanepaceatwhichtheprotagonistnarrates
Feb 4, 2014 9:05 AM

Sep 2013
I read really fast too and to add to that, I know a bit of japanese so I can somewhat understand what they're saying even without reading the subtitles. "Oh, then why do you need them?" It's just to make sure and so I can learn some more since I'm not completely fluent in japanese (nor do I think I'm even close to being fluent). I have to admit that I usually don't pay much attention to the sound except if it's really good while I don't concentrate much on the visuals either, but that's really because I don't care much for it: I sometimes go as far as to read something else while I listen to what they're saying, for example, I once went to check on the MAL forums while watching Welcome to NHK. I did the same thing with Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, Shirokuma Cafe and others...
Feb 4, 2014 9:12 AM

Feb 2010
Reverb_Shock said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

It gets better after 2-3 episodes and it's not that bad if you're used to reading english a lot. It's still a lot easier to get than those Monogatari text panels ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 4, 2014 9:21 AM

Aug 2013
Pond said:
Reverb_Shock said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Based on our 74.4% compatibility I think you'll like it. Butitisabithardtofollowifyou'renotpreparedfortheinsanepaceatwhichtheprotagonistnarrates

AndThat'sOneOfTheReasonsThatMakesTheShowInsanelyGreatOutsideOfTheObviousCreativeConceptAndAmazingStorytelling
Feb 4, 2014 9:22 AM
Oct 2013
They don't for me, I can read them just fine and keep track as to what's going on.
"The mind is better off free, rather than in chains."

-Anonymous
Feb 4, 2014 11:43 AM

May 2009
I don't really have much of an issue with them. Most foreign shows are subtitled in my country, so I've been reading those since I was a kid.

And I don't really pay attention to all the details in anime at first glance anyway. If the show is good enough, I will watch it a second time, but with more focus on details. if something catches my eye early on, that's nice, but I'm not going out of my way to look for every little tidbit, especially if I'm not expecting it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2014 11:51 AM

Jun 2013
Me too, I read fast. It's enough for me just to read some of the words of a sentence and I get the meaning.
Feb 4, 2014 12:39 PM

Aug 2013
When I first started watching subs, yeah I was very distracted. Not so much now.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Feb 4, 2014 2:03 PM

Jan 2012
i used to have this problem when starting out, i was so focused on making sure i read the words i didn't look at the screen, but as time went on i just read quicker, peripheral vision kicked in and now i just look at the picture fully and the subs i read out of the corner of my eye if you get me? I watch on a 32" when upstairs and 52" downstairs so subs are usually nice and clear!
Feb 4, 2014 2:06 PM

Oct 2013
I agree, thats why 100 dub for me
Feb 4, 2014 2:07 PM

Oct 2013
One time I was watching a dubbed anime and the asshat who uploaded the episode decided to add in english substitles to an already dubbed anime. It was so freakin' annoying because the subtitles were slow and not accurate. Plus the words were getting in the way of my viewage! Ugh it sucked
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think your favorite characters can be friends?

Yonahim_Zz - 1 hour ago

14 by Yonahim_Zz »»
14 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Yesterday

67 by MonkeeDan »»
4 minutes ago

» Adaptations of Dengeki Bunko's LN.

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever got your anime/manga titles from recap videos on YouTube?

Kiryotsu - 42 minutes ago

6 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - 6 hours ago

23 by Alriven »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.