Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 14, 2012 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
Aug 29, 2012 10:50 AM

Jul 2011
I liked the start to this series, it was fun and I thought it was well-paced. I haven't seen an older anime for a while so it kind of felt refreshing in a way.
Sep 6, 2012 2:13 PM

Sep 2012
I was hoping for some old cliché. And I got them. The coach is a fucking badass. Want to see him making his sunglasses spark more.
Feb 2, 2013 11:39 AM

Jun 2012
This series seems to have a lot of clichés, and we were able to see this since this episode haha Badass Coach, the protagonist who is losing and then is able to give a deadly blow, etc.

It was funny the whole thing about Mechas exercising and etc. It gave a touch of humor to the show.

It's good to see some good fan service! I thought anime back then didn't have much of it, but in this particular case I was wrong. It's always nice ice to see tome tits bouncing during Mecha battles haha. Even this series having fan service, it doesn't compare to nowadays shows.
Mar 18, 2013 9:48 PM
Jan 2012
Fun first episode. I am not a fan of ecchi, but this time it didn't bother me. Good thing this anime is short, I doubt I will watch it completely if it had 26 episodes or whatever.

Btw, Noriko is cute as hell and I am in love with the ending song.
Dec 2, 2013 3:56 PM

Apr 2010
Okay episode, not quite interested just yet.
Dec 28, 2013 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
Well that was fun. Dat robot. Awesome start so far. Might take awhile for me to get used to the characters but I'm in for the rideeeeeee
Feb 13, 2014 11:35 PM

Jun 2011
Lmao doing sit ups with a robot, or push ups.. -.- This show is quite highly rated so.. well I hope it gets better later on.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 15, 2014 2:40 PM
Aug 2013
pretty simple but interesting so far. lol at the robots doing push ups and jump rope.
Feb 22, 2014 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
That was surprisingly entertaining. Robots doing exercises, I guess to improve the pilot's control :p Still it was kind of weird to see.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 25, 2014 1:00 PM

Sep 2013
Am I in heaven? Hot chicks with awesome robots and director is Hideaki Anno. Not to mention the great ~80s soundtrack and good animation for its time.

I am SO looking forward to this.

Already 9/10!
Mar 14, 2014 6:26 AM

Nov 2012
Surprised that I liked this so much. Robots doing physical exercises, bad-ass coach motivating anime character through rocky-esque training montage, looser girl going from being being the most picked on to the most admired in one episode, and the school atmosphere was done well. Yes, its has numerous cliches in it, but it was done well (and it was from the late 80s, so who knows if this stuff would have been considered cliche at the time for an anime).

If you guys are watching this, I advise you to find it somewhere in the highest quality, it looks very good in the highest viewing quality even though it was made in the 80s.. the artwork details looks amazing, you are doing a disservice to yourself if you stream this it crappy quality!

I've only watched 2 other series that aired before 1990 I think (series not movies), Gundam 0079 and Zeta Gundam.

Honestly I'm here watching this because someone suggested this to me as a "predecessor" to Evangelion and even more so TTGL (was mentioned that TTGL took a hefty amount of inspiration from TwN:Gunbuster). I liked TTGL so much, figured this was worth a shot. I may be overanalyzing, but there is sort of a parallel between how the coach is an inspirational character to Noriko like Kamina is to Simon. I'm interested to see some other similarities in the remaining episodes.

off topic: those extra minutes (30 mins instead of normal 22-24 min anime episode) seemed to make a difference in terms of it feeling much longer than a normal anime episode!
midnightbladeMar 14, 2014 6:40 AM
Mar 14, 2014 6:47 AM

Mar 2008
midnightblade said:
Yes, its has numerous cliches in it, but it was done well (and it was from the late 80s, so who knows if this stuff would have been considered cliche at the time for an anime).
Just so you know, much of of Gunbuster's story is a homage to the best-selling sports shoujo 'Aim for the Ace!', so these were literally iconic cliches of the time.
Jul 7, 2014 10:12 AM

Sep 2011
Not off to a good start, the pacing is all over the place so far and it was kind of dull. Looks like im not really in the minority on that one so i assume this picks up as it goes on.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 8, 2014 5:26 PM

May 2012
I'm definitely not a fan of Mecha anime but the moment I started watching anime it just blew my mind by the quality it brought from the year it was created in, and on top of that a very big surprise when the general started talking! God damn Wakamoto Norio <3 That sure is going to be more than epic and raised the epicness level by Norio/10! Really nice start and well let's see what will happen next!
Jul 9, 2014 8:35 AM

Oct 2013
Holy shit this is cheesy
why are they weight training with there mechas ???? the fuck
hahaha there all girls ????
dem mech exercises too stronk XD
[/quote]
Nov 2, 2014 3:30 AM

Aug 2013
Wow. The movement "Largo" from the "New World Symphony" (i.e. the popular composition by Antonín Dvořák that was even used in "Shinsekai Yori") was quietly playing in the background of the locker-room scene at approximately 10:10.
Nov 24, 2014 5:54 AM

Jun 2007
I was kinda shocked when I found out that this, and Ace wo Nerae are basically the same thing lol. The pacing was good and the goofy mechs and pushups were hilarious.
May 18, 2015 10:40 AM

Mar 2014
First impression: The show's story is kind of average thus far, and is typical of the genre. The characters are so far very average as well, none of them have stood out to me as being captivating or interesting beyond more than just an average level...

The animation is good for the era, but the art style is kind of odd. They've got one foot in vintage anime and one foot in modern stuff. So it's both of it's time and ahead of it's time. However, for me, that's a negative, as I'm a much bigger fan of the standard 80's and 90's anime, so it's a bit odd to see some modern sensibilites worked in there.

Also, it should be noted that I'm watching this with the original audio track, not the re-recorded version from 2006. The voice acting is fine, but nothing has stood out there to me, either.

I'll keep going with it, but so far, this is very much a middle-of-the-road anime to me.
::End of Transmission::

Jun 22, 2015 7:17 PM

Sep 2010
That training montage

Also she kicked the bitch right out of that senior. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 19, 2015 5:34 AM
Jan 2015
Coach is such a badass, he is so underrated as a character.

Also, today is the day Noriko's father would die.

Rest in piece, Yuzo Takaya, you will be missed. :'(
Mar 5, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2014
I sure hope this improves, as I'm not really liking it that much. It just seems ridiculous. It's not funny, and I don't care for the bouncing breasts. I guess I'm getting too old to enjoy this stuff.

May 2, 2016 4:40 PM

Dec 2014
I didn't care for it that much until the fight happened. It was so amazingly cheesy and fun to watch. I hope it goes in this direction of her becoming a badass and not just being a wuss.
Jul 19, 2016 11:23 PM

Sep 2015
God damn do I love Hideaki Anno. Yet another series where he expects us to get invested in complicated back stories, dipping into hard sci fi and colorful action scenes. While also accepting that any Military Organization would decide at some point the best way to fight space monsters is giant robots piloted by teenage girls in skimpy uniforms. It's forreal fascinating to me to watch all this series seems to be trying to do, while also engaging in rampant fanservice and ecchi. That OP was adorable and sugary sweet but not what I was expecting based off of my understanding of the series.

I loved this first episode. I read how the title is derived from a tennis anime and Top Gun both of which inspired the series plot. I can absolutely see the Top Gun in it and it's kind of hilarious. I've never seen the tennis anime but Coach working Noriko hard reminded me of a Rocky training montage so I can see a sports anime influence. The school antics were entertaining though they felt like the set up they are for the rest of the series. In fact I wonder if some of the girls like Noriko's friend and the one who fights her will ever even show up again. But still it set up a compelling world and plot and gave our heroine quite a bit of development in a short amount of time.

I'm excited to see where this series goes. As well as how it's budget/animation quality holds out a notorious problem with early Gainax. Based off it's devoted following I expect great things though I'm excited to see some crazier mechs after all the practice ones. In closing this may be a powerful, metaphorical and visually stunning mecha space opera. But it also has a hilarious scene in which girls on a football field do push ups with their mechs.
Aug 22, 2016 12:04 AM
Mar 2016
The pacing is ridiculous. Don't know if I want to keep watching. It just moves so quickly, without reason, the emotional cues seem so forced. It doesn't hold my attention very much.
rolltierAug 22, 2016 12:10 AM
Sep 21, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2014
if I'm going to continue with this series it's 100% because I want to see more bouncing tits. the boob physics engine was... spectacular. for now I can do without boobs so it's on hold. there really were no other positives.
Nov 30, 2016 4:08 PM

Aug 2014
That Kashiwara girl sure changed her attitude pretty quickly.

A bit more over the top (no pun intended) than I expected but I like so far, although I don't know why people are already being so hard on it considering its time frame.
Feb 22, 2017 4:01 PM

Feb 2016
Well this is a bizarre beginning.

A disabled veteran scouts an amateur greenhorn who happens to be a dead admiral's daughter into space where apparently the toughest make the cut...

Before they leave, they decide to have a fight with the precious machine the greenhorn will be using which gets wrecked, confidence up, and here's praying the maintenance crew don't rip the coach a new one about added expenses and a diminish in parts.

Just anime things...
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 24, 2017 1:01 PM

Oct 2014
omg this is awesome I was a bit skeptical about this one. But the anime proved me wrong.
Sep 12, 2017 2:23 AM
Jul 2018
omg 2sec in and they're doing push ups wih robots 😂😂😂😂 im dying
Sep 30, 2017 3:29 PM

Nov 2016
Decent start, visuals are pretty good and the uniforms too...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 4, 2017 3:02 PM

Oct 2015
Great lightning kick to Kashiwara I guess hard work does pay off as always and jealousy pays you shit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 12, 2018 1:15 PM
Dec 2014
This show starts AWESOME 1980s montage coach with giant sunglasses (god I wish I could pull of that look even half as cool) cute girls and last but not least GIANT MECHS.

Unbelievable, I should have watched this show years ago. But the mongrel modern anime community has buried this show. But I will find all those classics even if it kills me!
Feb 16, 2018 4:36 PM

Sep 2013
Awesome, classic 80s anime! I loved it's campiness and just plain 80s coolness.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 24, 2018 6:59 PM

Aug 2016
I think this was a pretty enjoyable first episode, yet felt rushed. Could have been developed in 2 episodes to explain some stuff better.

I also can see so much of the early spirit of old Gainax that later developed into other classic series + their Trigger legacy wich leads to how some characters from LWA were made: Ako is partially an updated version of Noriko just to start.

Good stuff. Great music. Impressive animation. Fun fights!
MichaelJacksonFeb 24, 2018 7:04 PM
:v
Oct 23, 2018 4:19 PM

Oct 2014
Lmao that was really ridiculous but oddly motivating too..
Nov 16, 2018 8:11 AM

Apr 2014
This is so cheesy I love it
Mar 10, 2019 11:00 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty bad. Everything feels basic and unoriginal and the cheese is unmeasurable. They're off to space so I guess I'll see what comes next.
removed-userMar 19, 2019 5:34 PM
Mar 25, 2019 11:27 PM
Oct 2018
Maybe I was expecting too much because this series is hyped so much, but this ep was pretty disappointing tbh. I'm a big fan of Anno- love NGE and even had a higher opinion of Abenobashi than most, and a lot of what I watch is stuff from the 80s and 90s (or earlier), but even for the era, this was cringey and played-out (actually it looks about 5 years earlier than it's actual age, IMO. Nausica, Urusei Yatsura 2, and Birth, which Anno himself worked on, came out 4 years before TwN, but look far less dated and cheesy).

It's only 6 eps, so I'll see it through anyway, and maybe it will pick up, but at this point I was unimpressed by pretty much all aspects of the show; the animation and art were average at best, the dialogue was terrible and the story was dopey, almost-but-not-quite to the point of satire. I can see the "so bad it's good" appeal of the dumb training montage, or the mechs do push-ups, or the girl that goes from being completely useless, to yelling attack names and delivering devastating finishing moves in literally two or three seconds, but I was kind of expecting something actually good from TwN.

(And if people want to rationalize that tick-a-box use of bad cliches as "deconstructing the tropes of the genre", that's fine, but at this stage it just looks like exceptionally bad, lazy writing)
May 3, 2019 3:06 AM

Aug 2017
That was a very enjoyable episode for me. I instantly fell in love with character designs and moments like Noriko's training, the depiction of bullying etc. But the most surprising moment for me was Norio Wakamoto as Oota's seiyu! Coincidentally, I'm watching Gunbuster right after Legend of the Galactic Heroes, where Wakamoto shined as Oskar von Reuenthal, and now he strikes with his brilliant voice again!

Oh, and boob physics was pretty amazing, too
St0rmbladeMay 3, 2019 3:12 AM
Jun 12, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2008
This first episode is copy-paste of 70s shoujo anime Ace wo Nerae! (its even in the name Top wo Nerae!), but with mecha and outfits that appeal to boys. Having mechas train like school girls and hearing the voice of school girls with the visual of giant robots fighting is part of the comedy.
Jul 9, 2019 1:30 PM
Apr 2018
It's so cheesy and over the top that I burst out laughing a couple times. Can't say I'm not entertained though.
Nov 20, 2019 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
lol what are those uniforms
Plot armor was strong here, albeit with all of that training. But let's see Noriko surprise us.
Jun 26, 2020 7:20 PM
Jan 2020
A bit cheesy at points, but overall a super fun first episode. Will definitely keep watching.
Jul 13, 2020 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
why do robots need to do push ups and jumps -_-
Aug 27, 2020 1:59 PM

Feb 2020
Felt like watching some classic today !
But to be honest, this first episode didn't really live up to my expectations.
It wasn't boring despite being almost 30 minutes long so there's at least that, bht I feel like everything's going too fast and the show didn't take time to really introduce Noriko as a person.
It's just the first episode so I'll wait and see but I hope this issue will be solved.
This show still has the charm a lot of oldschool shows have, I really like that, especially when it comes to the characters' expressions.
Sep 29, 2020 12:31 PM

Feb 2012
I can definitely see the roots of Akko and Lotte in Noriko and Kimiko, respectively.

A klutz student who's glasses-adorned teacher sees potential in.

Love that it mixes Real Robot and Super Robot; these are cadets mainly preparing to pilot mass produced weapons of war but then has the robots actually do pushups and situps, hilarious.

2023 rewatch in dub
Fortress_MaximusAug 19, 2023 7:15 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 30, 2020 4:09 AM

Jun 2016
I like a good underdog story, but I fail to see and understand how the coach was able to identify talent. Maybe he has a third eye in his cane, for talent finding or something.

Jul 21, 2021 10:50 PM

Sep 2015
Well, can't decode if this was a blatant plagiarism of Ace wo Nerae! or just a parody or "tribute", because the entire episode was exactly as the first part of that anime. Hope that from the next episode becomes its own thing.
Nov 1, 2021 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
This feels like a massive product of its time that doesn't really take itself too seriously and I love it for that
_______I like rocks__
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is the dub good?

AustinJamB - Jul 17, 2023

7 by Billy-storm »»
May 13, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

69 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 18, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MK - Aug 10, 2008

192 by jal90 »»
Feb 4, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 19, 2009

77 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 9:21 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

67 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 19, 2023 8:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.