Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 16, 2013 12:37 PM

Mar 2010
i didnt watch the series but i have to say this OVA is amazing,its like a darker version of gintama with a little flavour from inuyasha :]
ShinryukenMar 16, 2013 12:40 PM
May 14, 2013 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
-deleted- (wrong discussion) :)
ao_no_exoMay 14, 2013 2:53 PM
May 17, 2013 7:25 PM

May 2013
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen is amazing. The relationship between Kenshin and Tomoe was very emotional and heartbreaking.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Jun 5, 2013 5:30 AM

Mar 2013
Haven't cried because of a fictional story until I watched Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. Now I'm feeling miserable. :|

HImura and Tomoe's relationship was very beautiful. If only Tomoe lived, I guess I would be screaming like a bitch right now but instead silent as it concluded. :| Depressing but very beautiful. Realistic as well. If I can get a girl like Tomoe, I probably would be the happiest man in the world. *sigh.

rockbot said:
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen is amazing. The relationship between Kenshin and Tomoe was very emotional and heartbreaking.

HEARTBREAKING INDEED.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2013 6:20 PM

Jan 2013
This time it's for this discussion. :D (If you see above I left a message that wrong discussion, it was another OVA of Kenshin.)

Must I say this touched me the most, before this I watched Seisou Hen which was the ending of Kenshin, and now this which is the beginning of Kenshin, wish I would have had a list of in which order to watch Rurouni Kenshin and all these OVA's and specials.

I hope that I will re-watch it again sometime in the future. The relationship between them 2 was amazing, and truly heartbreaking. Hope that there is something as good as Kenshin, either in anime or movie... but I doubt it. I am kind of speechless...

100/100
Jul 25, 2013 2:47 PM

Dec 2012
It's been over 7 years since I first watched this, and I've been reminded why this is my favorite of all time. It was beautiful before, but it's even more beautiful now that I'm able to view it in a new perspective. Something new I noticed this viewing was the symbolism behind Kenshin's cross shaped scar. The scar he received from Kiyosato was one of deep hatred. The scar he received from Tomoe was one of deep love. One scar will forever shoulder the hatred and bloodshed of his foes, and the other will act as a sheathe in Tomoe's stead.
Aug 18, 2013 1:35 PM

Aug 2010
This OVA was a MASTERPIECE! 10/10
Nov 9, 2013 11:08 PM

May 2012
Well for me, the firdt three episodes felt REALLY slow but then the last episode got hella interesting with that plot twist. tbh i honestly didn't see that coming lmao. The action scenes were... eh/ pretty good considering the anime was made a while ago. What i still can't get over is the fact that this is a Samurai/ Romance based film. Like seriously, that mix of genres!. Anyway, i believe that it was a good thing that it was an ova and only 4 episodes long as i a 2013 child would not be able to handle the 90's anime with the 90's animations and 90's plots for more than 10 episodes but regardless, ill be watching the 95 episode TV version of RK, wish me luck (=. i will however leave this anime with a positive rating.

8/10 :D (was going to give it a 9 but decided not to, still a good anime however)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2013 10:09 AM

Sep 2012
arcticdrop712 said:
Well for me, the firdt three episodes felt REALLY slow but then the last episode got hella interesting with that plot twist. tbh i honestly didn't see that coming lmao. The action scenes were... eh/ pretty good considering the anime was made a while ago. What i still can't get over is the fact that this is a Samurai/ Romance based film. Like seriously, that mix of genres!. Anyway, i believe that it was a good thing that it was an ova and only 4 episodes long as i a 2013 child would not be able to handle the 90's anime with the 90's animations and 90's plots for more than 10 episodes but regardless, ill be watching the 95 episode TV version of RK, wish me luck (=. i will however leave this anime with a positive rating.

Heads up! the anime has A LOT of fillers. Before you watch it, find out which ones aren't because the fillers are so boring and dragged out! It really will make you hate it.
--

I watched this whole Rurouni Kenshin shows along time ago,but what I liked about this series was that it really showed you the reason why Kenshin became a wanderer. It made you appreciate him more than you do when you watch the actual series. It was like the love that ended horribly left him to become this peaceful, kindhearted being. This series kind of filled in the pieces of the Kenshin show. The past was finally revealed.
Also, I don't think Tomoe and Kenshin's love could have lasted if she hadn't died. There was so much negativity that came out of the two in the very beginning. And as sad as the ending was, it was necessary. A beautiful tragedy.

(This week I was reminded about this show, and now I'm reading the manga)
Nov 26, 2013 10:21 PM
Jan 2011
I've watched this OVA series a few times. Its good and I wish there was more covering when he was an assassin.
Dec 20, 2013 7:12 PM

Aug 2012
Man , that ending was just too sad :(
Jan 14, 2014 9:08 AM

Sep 2013
Beautiful, simply beautiful. Will stay in my top5 for a while. I have to say this OVA series has all pieces simply in the right order, and it is hard to find a single flaw in it.

It was really sad though. :(

But then again, that's probably why it's so striking.
Feb 18, 2014 4:03 AM

Aug 2013
Unbelievable OVA. Masterpiece. The first and only 10/10 on my list so far.
Mar 30, 2014 8:36 AM

Jan 2014
A fine anime. I loved this episode.
Goos story, good execution, and great music.
8/10 for me.

Not sure if I want to watch the Ruroni shonen's 94 episodes now, it might leave a bitter taste after this.
Apr 27, 2014 1:00 PM

Dec 2009
Wow Amazing. I knew kenshin had a tragic past but to see it animated so beautifully was priceless. I hope the main series is remade to better fit the manga because the story is just that good.
May 24, 2014 7:16 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah... episodes 1 and 4 are masterpieces, while 2 and 3 are great but a tad underwhelming by comparison. The themes of this are just so deep and moving, though... I can't help but give it my utmost respect.

Kenshin is an amazing character, and I'm glad I started the main series first, but only got a few episodes in. It allowed me an idea of Kenshin's character before seeing him in the OVA, while understanding Kenshin's past will surely give me a better appreciation for the rest of the series.

I'm wavering between a 9 and a 10 for now, but will give it the bump into the latter and see how time affects my overall opinion of it. Absolutely astounding whatever the case.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 17, 2014 10:36 AM
Aug 2013
KillthisAccount said:
Such a powerful way to end the OVA!!! 8/10 easily!!!
Jul 4, 2014 10:39 AM

Nov 2013
Compelling stuff. What a beautiful story and great development of Kenshin in just four episodes. And to top it off, the music and visuals were absolutely sublime.

I'll be sure to give the TV series a try eventually, but this OVA can, without a doubt, proudly stand by itself.
Sep 9, 2014 10:18 AM

Dec 2013
Well, better than i thought, amazing, the story, the animation (at the time) the environment (sometimes didnt even feel as a shounen, very dark) and the tragic story and gave a great character development, Perfect score to me.
Sep 13, 2014 10:43 PM

Feb 2013
Dat ending..... is easily one of the best endings I've ever seen. 10/10 finish.
✈️
Sep 13, 2014 11:42 PM

Jan 2014
Overall a great OVA.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 27, 2014 10:57 PM

Mar 2014
Such a masterpiece.
Dec 11, 2014 11:58 AM

Jan 2014
Blood, fire and rose petals. And my heart is red, too.
Dec 30, 2014 5:14 AM

Dec 2013
What a masterpiece, holy shit. That ending though, damn it... ;-; 10/10
Jan 2, 2015 8:54 AM

Jul 2014
This was beautiful. Masterpiece for the ages. Easy 10/10.
Mar 15, 2015 4:55 PM

Aug 2009
Such a beautiful tragedy. They don't make them like this anymore.
Wish I'd seen more of Kenshin's Master, but I suppose I'll need to turn to the original series for that.
9/10
Apr 15, 2015 3:03 AM
Oct 2012
This was unbelievably atmospheric and tragic, one of my favourites, makes me want to give the sequel another try.
Apr 23, 2015 8:57 PM

Feb 2015
Wasn't even on my 'plan to watch' list but I saw it rated highly as a 4 episode OVA so I decided to watch it. Really enjoyed it from the beginning to end. Didn't reach far out and try to bring in anything unnecessary to the story. Kept all things simple and it was able to execute a beautiful yet tragic story.
devinderApr 23, 2015 9:10 PM
Jun 21, 2015 4:04 PM

Dec 2013
Amazing, I watched it after watching the series and I found it a great addition.

Jun 24, 2015 7:55 PM
Apr 2013
i liked it, awesome i like samurais but i really didn't care about kenshin
Jun 25, 2015 12:24 PM
Mar 2015
One of the few tragedies in anime done right. I loved everything about it. 10/10.
Jun 26, 2015 11:43 PM

Jan 2010
I first watched Rurouni Kenshin when I was a kid. It was one of the first anime I've watched, long before I even knew what anime was. Later in my life, I rewatched the entire TV series and looked into the manga, so I know the story. However, it's been a long time since then, so I've forgotten most of the finer details.

I've never watched Trust and Betrayal, but I knew what would happen going in. When I first joined MAL, this OVA was one of the higher ranked shows, but since I knew Rurouni Kenshin quite well, I didn't want to watch it right away. Instead, I waited. 5 years later, here I am, reminded of why I used to like Rurouni Kenshin. No, I still like it, and this just affirmed it. Had I entered this OVA without prior knowledge, it would have been a drama. As I am now, it's a tragedy. Rather than watching in wait for what would come next, I'm instead looking on, knowing of the inevitable events to befall Kenshin.

It makes me wonder if this is nostalgia speaking, but at least for now, all I can do is fill in the gaps of my memory. I recall when Kenshin was following Tomoe at the end, he remarked in the television series that the assassins appearing would save him the trouble of hunting them down. Here, he makes no such remark. He didn't have any such malice. Kenshin was just broken. Perhaps I'm remembering things differently, who knows.
Jul 1, 2015 11:07 AM

Aug 2014
This anime was amazing. Everything about it was just so well, done every angle of every character was accounted and every had a positive and a down side. Now it really the name "Trust and Betrayal" really makes sense, everything in this was dealing with either trust or betrayal. That ending was so sad, I teared up a little bit, knowing that every person he killed, he was suffering, because he didn't want to kill anyone again, but he knew he had to so that the other sacrifices weren't a vain, a true showcase of the "ends justify the means' mentality. Absolutely amazing show, also, I honestly prefer this animation to modern animation, this kind has more soul in it and more detail, kind of like Cowboy Bebop.
Jul 3, 2015 7:36 PM

Apr 2013
Mother f'er. I finished the Kyoto Arc a few days ago (after watching the first 28 episodes) and just now finished watching the OVA. Soooooooo glorious. Now that is how you do a backstory. I can't believe that I've put off finishing this for so long. I've already started the next arc in the manga so I will get my full Kenshin-fill and the ending that I deserve.

I've heard good things about the live-action adaptation as well so that may have to be watched when I'm getting some Oro-withdrawal.
Jul 8, 2015 3:45 AM

Mar 2015
Rewatching this OVA after having seen the tv series was really impactful.I loved it the first time aswell,but now after seeing what Kenshin has become and how this tragedy changed him is just incredible,a really human character and story.
A true Masterpiece in my eyes and a series that got me really emotional.
Jul 9, 2015 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
My eyes feel a bit teary :'(
What a tragedy... That's how you do it. A slow and painful end for samurai. He can now retire ;_;7
But in fact, he can't! Because there is a sequel! Which I'll go watch right now! :D
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 30, 2015 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
Masterpiece is the only word that can describe this.
Jul 31, 2015 4:23 PM
Aug 2014
The character development and pacing are extremely well done given the limited run time, and it had some very powerful scenes.
However, one thing bugs me. Personally my suspension of disbelief doesn't go very far and i found the face heel turn that occurred in less than two minutes when hes told that tomoe betrayed him to be a little strange. In the scene the night before it was clear that she no longer held a grudge against him no matter what, and learning that she had conspired to kill him at one point before should not have come as a surprise. Also izuka's smile upon delivering the "news" and the fact that he somehow knew what tomoe had written in her diary should have been a dead giveaway that something was up.
yerpderpingtonJul 31, 2015 4:26 PM
Aug 7, 2015 8:06 AM

Apr 2009
How Tragic is that ending. :(
Sep 4, 2015 4:45 PM

Feb 2013
Tomoe no!!! Why'd you have to run out there?! Oh well, I suppose it had to happen one way or another. (her brother didn't do anything after that?)

7/10 (good) overall. As a not-Kenshin fan, I really liked this one. They did a really great job on the suspense during the fights. They just had that "feel" to them where anything could happen.
Sep 11, 2015 12:39 PM
Oct 2012
I had such great expectations about this...

When I watched te 1st episode I really tought it will live up to it. I tought it would be amazing, but in the end it was a let-down.
And to think Woolf's Rain did the same kind of tragic twist much better with less important characters.
The graphics were with the exception of a few shots so under the quality of ep.3 and the animation was probably the weakest of all the episodes, even awkward.

overall:
ep. 1: 10/10
2: 8/10
3: 9/10
4: 8/10
Overall, a weak 9 for the OVA, tough it would be easily a 10.
Sep 22, 2015 7:58 PM

Sep 2015
I recently finished all 95 eps of the original series and enjoyed it, so when I came to Tsukiokuhen, I was a little uncomfortable with the sudden change of art style. The music was lovely, and the action was awesome. Tomoe's and Kenshin's relationship was interesting, but I didn't really get into it that much. I did enjoy this, nonetheless. It was nice to finally see Kenshin's past, after only getting bits and pieces in the series.
I turn myself invisible.
Sep 27, 2015 9:10 PM

Aug 2008
I see, so the ending was great, but the other episodes weren't. Episode 1 and 4 were the best. It'd have been great if the anime was just episode 1 and then 4. Then it'd save me 60minutes. Even the poll, people didn't like episode 2 or 3. I'm not sure how the ending makes the anime a 9/10.

And if anyone asks, I didn't like this anime because I only liked kenshin. Even kenshin didnt get much chara development. I mean, what do we know about him, not too much. He doesn't really speak much too, he kills people though.
I liked how she cut his cheek, it really was poetic, like the job is done, vengeance is returned but please remember me, kenshin.
I agree this episode was good, doesn't remove my boredom because I didn't care for the girl in episode 2 and 3.

Episode 1 was brilliant though, wasn't bored at all.
ikutoSep 27, 2015 9:16 PM
Nov 1, 2015 1:15 PM

Jan 2013
This was pretty awesome. Sad to see Tomoe gone. 9/10
Nov 8, 2015 3:45 PM
Mar 2013
I really admired this anime.

One thing has bugged me, however, with the plot between the end of episode 3 and episode 4, and I was wondering is someone could tell me if I am missing something. Why was it that Tomoe decided to leave Kenshin, without telling him what was going on? True, in the conversation that she has with that commander guy who Kenshin fights at the end, she realizes that her coming to the hideout was part of the commander's plan, to lure Kenshin into a trap. But what is her original reason for suddenly leaving Kenshin? Does she honestly think she can persuade the commander to spare Kenshin? That seems hard to believe.

Even if I can't explain this plot point, I'm still going to revere this anime, for all the other things it did so well. Thanks for checking out my question.
Nov 20, 2015 8:24 AM

Dec 2014
Why can't Tomoe have some plot armor???
Dammit...
Dec 21, 2015 5:27 AM

Jun 2014
what a masterpiece

i was not expecting this, my feels, honestly, i really have to check out the ruroni kenshin manga out soon

i kind of decided to watch this spontaneously and i was not disappointed
:3
Jan 12, 2016 9:47 AM

Jul 2015
It almost achieved perfection. Almost.
Jan 23, 2016 5:50 PM

Aug 2014
Wow amazing OVA , didn't expect it to be this good actually , Very Beautiful OST and sounds, and great story as well , liked the directing so much , so many good scenes .
Only things that bothered me was : Voice acting of Kenshin ( when you hear it along with his design you think he is a female lol ) , also i felt the ending was forced she didn't really need to die , and last thing was how OP Kenshin was , but i guess this always happen with Samurai movies .
Other than that everything is Excellent .

My Final Rating : 8.8/10
Jan 24, 2016 5:58 AM
Oct 2011
Klassical said:
Wow amazing OVA , didn't expect it to be this good actually , Very Beautiful OST and sounds, and great story as well , liked the directing so much , so many good scenes .
Only things that bothered me was : Voice acting of Kenshin ( when you hear it along with his design you think he is a female lol ) , also i felt the ending was forced she didn't really need to die , and last thing was how OP Kenshin was , but i guess this always happen with Samurai movies .
Other than that everything is Excellent .

My Final Rating : 8.8/10
When you consider that this is based on a flashback arc of the manga where kenshin has been a wanderer for several years, it would make no since if Tomoe had lived because then Kenshin would have no reason to wander.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 17, 2008

57 by catmancatplan »»
Apr 16, 5:23 PM

» Can I finally watch this after seeing the 2023 remake or I have to still see the Kyoto arc?

Cestlavie_ - Dec 16, 2023

13 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 17, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 2, 2008

75 by RFXs »»
Feb 9, 7:57 AM

» Similar tragic romance

yoru987 - Aug 13, 2023

5 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:20 AM

» The new pic sucks, please change it back

KingRequiem - Aug 4, 2019

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.