Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2007 11:01 PM

Apr 2007
alright i think the title pretty much explains wat im askin lol my favorite i would have to say is Bartender b/c it went through the lives of different ppl and i thought it taught lessons
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 26, 2007 10:03 AM

Jul 2007
Well, members already have their favorites listed in their profiles but I wouldn't mind sharing anyway. It's no secret that I'm a YKK fanboy: in almost every forum, it's the same avatar, signature, and custom user user title.

"This gentle calm and quiet is the twilight of an era.
I will probably watch the passing of this twilight age."
-Alpha Hatsuseno

After having read and watched what may now be hundreds of anime and manga, I've encountered so many cliches so often that becoming jaded was inevitable.

Then, I stumbled across a manga series with an unusually long title.

More than just making me actively seek out slice of life titles, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou has also affected the way I view the world. Since then, I've tried seeing things in a positive light, keeping myself amused with the most mundane sights and experiences. I can even go as far as saying that it put an end to the semi-emo stage of my teenage life. (~_-)

So, what is the manga really about? Different people will give you different answers. You'll have to read it for yourself.
YuunagiOct 6, 2007 8:45 AM
Dec 27, 2007 7:33 AM

Oct 2007
my favorite would have to be Mushishi

simply great series

after that it would be Paranoia Agent, NHK ni Youkoso!, Death Note and Mononoke in any specific order

as for manga I would have to say Monster

Say Satisfied Fans
Jan 1, 2008 5:48 PM

Oct 2007
I like those weird little seinins like Sexy Voice and Robo, Ryuuguden or National quiz.

As for a little more 'lowly' series - that's definately Berserk - it's certainly good at hiding it's more complicated messages among rivers of blood and fairytale creatures, but that's probably what's fresh and interesting about it.

Beware! For I wield the chair leg of truth!
Jan 2, 2008 12:23 AM

Jan 2007
I have a lot of favorites, but I really fell in love with NANA. It's the first one that comes to mind.
Jan 13, 2008 6:50 PM

Aug 2007
Clannad, Paradise Kiss, NHK, Honey and Clover, and Yotsubato.
Jan 16, 2008 8:11 PM
Nov 2007
I like thoughtful or insightful shows like Kino no Tabi and Bartender or Ergo Proxy. Anything that is a seinen slice-of-life comedies equals instant WIN for me, anime like Genshiken, Ichigo Mashimaro and Minami-ke
Jan 22, 2008 8:08 AM

Oct 2007
Toost_Inc said:
my favorite would have to be Mushishi

simply great series
I came in here to post this :)
Jan 23, 2008 2:20 PM

Nov 2007
Nothing can touch me more than Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, I want to have all the volumes scanlated in high quality and in english, but since volume 11 I only can find bad scans from magazines translated so I donwloaded high quality volumes from a french scanlator (www.iscariote.org) and I´m editing putting the english translation of a group that I can´t remember the name now.

Feb 16, 2008 11:38 AM

Oct 2007
Paranoia Agent and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Mar 3, 2008 8:40 AM

Feb 2008
Monster, never seen such a wide palette of brilliant characters.

Mushishi, watched it 4 times already and it still amazes me.

Some lesser favorites are, Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell, Elfen Lied, NHK, Nodame Cantabile
stationryMar 3, 2008 8:45 AM
Mar 9, 2008 1:42 PM

Nov 2007
Anime: Gankutsuou, Ergo Proxy, Lain, Witch Hunter Robin, Ghost Hound

Manga: Monster, 20th Century Boys, NHK.
DanishMar 16, 2008 2:18 PM
Mar 20, 2008 12:14 AM

Sep 2007
Deep Love series....my one and only!

Apr 3, 2008 6:00 AM

Feb 2008
My very favorite manga at this moment is Akumetsu. Shou has a very twisted sense of humor and I seriously didn't think a slightly gory manga like that could make me laugh that much

Apr 25, 2008 5:41 AM

Mar 2008
Koi Kaze, Ai yori Aoshi, Ai Ren, Chobits, SaiKano, ... Pretty much any Seinen romance.
Aug 10, 2008 10:04 PM

Mar 2008
Darker Than Black. It was the only aniime series which I rewatched a lot (the action scenes and plot were topnotch).

As for manga, it would be Yokohama Kaidaishi Kikou and Aria.
Click Here !:

Aug 11, 2008 8:43 AM
Dec 2007
Monster, 20th Century Boys, Azumanga Daioh, Yotsubato, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Maison Ikkoku (Yes, it's seinen), xxxHolic, and Clannad.
Aug 11, 2008 1:57 PM

Jul 2008
funny thing, like with Yuunagi, YKK is my favorite manga. Why is this funny? Well, the part about different people having different theories about what the manga is about is what directly inspired me to create not only the whole "StarfleetCaptain" persona but the Starfleet Academy Cultural Anthropology Department to discuss exactly this kind of thing applied to all manga and anime :)

Now that that shameless self-plug is out of the way, as I explained in the other topic Trigun is one of my favorite manga/anime. I really love the Old West setting, and especially as the series goes on I love how the characters develop.
Aug 15, 2008 11:30 AM

May 2008
I'm surprised, anyone here loves MPD Psycho ?? This manga is amazing!
Sep 2, 2008 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
Monster, Terra e..., Nodame Cantabile, Mushishi, Blood+... out of what i can think of right now. Mononoke is seinen too right? couldn't find the information on that, but i can't think of any other category it would be in. Oh, and Emma.

--edit-- dared i to forget about Cowboy Bebop, Akagi, Chobits, Baccano!, Kino no Tabi, Gankutsuou and Koi Kaze.

and 5cm Per Second.
TakaiSep 2, 2008 10:03 PM
Sep 3, 2008 1:33 PM

Jun 2008
forgot one of my all-time favorite -- Le Chevalier D'Eon.
Sep 13, 2008 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
Honey and Clover would probably my favourite seinen/josei for a long time.
Mar 24, 2009 8:41 PM

Oct 2008
My favorites from the club relations list:

Aria the Origination
Ayakashi -Japanese Classical Horror-
Baccano!
Gift ~eternal rainbow~
NANA
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Apr 1, 2009 9:22 AM

Feb 2009
After reading Monster, I had to read 20th Century Boys to get more of Naoki Urasawa.
20CB completely blew mind.

Jul 30, 2009 7:59 AM

Aug 2008
Tramps Like Us, X-Day, and After School Nightmare.
Jul 30, 2009 1:34 PM

Apr 2009
Ivantrollet said:
Monster, never seen such a wide palette of brilliant characters.

i second that, the side-stories are also really enjoyable, i especially liked the episode with the veteran and the little girl
Jul 30, 2009 3:48 PM

Jul 2008
If it's anime, it's the recent anime, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. If it's manga, Saint Young Men hands down. It's so good it makes me believe in Jesus again.
Aug 4, 2009 8:20 AM

Apr 2008
ptitetrolle said:
I'm surprised, anyone here loves MPD Psycho ?? This manga is amazing!

yea i like it too.. but i read so little of it cas i can't find it.. any ideas where i can read it?

others includes monster(manga), aria, kino journey, mushishi, bartender lol so many more
Aug 7, 2009 6:36 AM
Nov 2007
Bump the thread shall I. :)
I don't want to speak too soon before better judgement (only I can't resist), from what I have read of "Monster," I'm definitely interested and enjoying the plot, characters and dialogue. There is also "Eternal Sabbath," which I found to be very well written and drawn, and the on-going series "Alive."
So there you go.

Anime-wise, I'm fascinated at Hayao Miyzaki's imagination, shown in "Spirited Away" and "Howl's Moving Castle." Satoshi Kon's "Paprika," (and "Millenium Actress"), aren't only visually captivating,are what I thought to be cleverly scripted. Kon's "Perfect Blue" is another that I was impressed by; I was very much engaged in the story, right through to the end.
"Tokyo Godfathers" undoubtedly gave me a warm and cognizant feeling, exemplified through wonderful characters that were all so individual; I love it when I see characters different from one another in personalities, behaviour, speech, dress and other idiosyncrasies. It makes for watching what's on screen far richer and more believable.
Aug 21, 2009 7:51 PM
Apr 2008
Kino no tabi... Though depending on how I feel I think any anime that I rate 10-9 could probably be my favorite.
Aug 25, 2009 6:17 AM

Nov 2008
Probably my two favorite Seinen manga are Planetes and Living Game. Does anyone know of any mature manga that don't simply break down into just plain sex and stereotypes of macho men or slutty women? Living game really showed ordinary characters and the day to day struggles without being dramatic and oversensitive.
Nov 16, 2009 8:18 PM

Nov 2009
My heart will always belong to Berserk (ベルセルク) even if it is dragging a bit. Shigurui (シグルイ) and Dorohedoro (ドロヘドロ) run a close second and third.
Feb 7, 2010 1:12 PM

Nov 2008
Yotsuba, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and Monster. Yotsuba for a heart-warming slice of life, YKK for a melancholic view of the upcoming end of humanity, and Monster for an excellent psychological portrayal of a psychopathic murderer.

For non-seinen mangas, only Death Note is on the same level – and it's because it's still more mature than your average shonen.
Feb 7, 2010 1:27 PM

Nov 2008
Yotsuba, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and Monster. Yotsuba for a heart-warming slice of life, YKK for a melancholic view of the upcoming end of humanity, and Monster for an excellent psychological portrayal of a psychopathic murderer.

For non-seinen mangas, only Death Note is on the same level – and it's because it's still more mature than your average shonen.
Jun 3, 2010 9:28 AM
Oct 2007
My favorite seinen/josei anime are: Zegapain, which is not even on this list, but for me it certainly is a seinen anime and much more than your standard trite mecha story.
Bokurano seems notworthy, too. I haven't read the manga so far, but the anime kept me on my toes till the end. Life or death...

The nominees for Zeldrias' Favorites in seinen & josei manga are...Eden, Shadow Star (Narutaru), Nana and 20th Century Boys.
I don't need to choose a winner, right? Eden is not consistently good, but when it is, then it was much more than a story for me, I always thought about it long after I read each volume and was always looking forward to the next (could take about a year!).
Shadow Star was also not just action but psychological and philosophical in parts. Shocking as well, which sometimes works for me.

20th Century Boys really is that great as everyone keeps on telling - Urasawa is one of the best story tellers not just in manga in my opinion.

I don't think it's necessary to add anything to Nana - I think many male readers can enjoy it as well - I sure did.
Jun 3, 2010 9:29 AM
Oct 2007
I really understand now, why the poster before me double-posted. The error message kinda left me no choice, too. lol
Jun 4, 2010 1:00 PM

May 2010
One of mine is Suppli, I saw the J-drama adaptation with KAT-TUN's Kazuya Kamenashi as the lead, it was very well done.
Jul 6, 2010 4:55 AM

Apr 2010
Manga: Berserk and Monster
Anime: Mononoke, love everything about this anime and love Kusuriuri :D
And now for something completely different..
Jul 6, 2010 3:23 PM

Apr 2009
Ahh man, I didn't realize that much of my favorite anime was actually in some specific sort of category. I'm sick of being stuck with all those narutards and crazy-action fans.

Anyways, favorite manga that I'd think of as seinen/josei would probably be ARIA, Natsu no Arashi, and perhaps Rozen Maiden. Sorry If I'm misunderstanding something here <.<

For anime, Spice and Wolf, Sora no Woto, xxxHolic, and Ayakashi(with Mononoke spin-off included) as well.

Jul 31, 2010 10:51 AM

Oct 2009
Monster was probably the first seinen series I learned to love for it's complicated plot and great characters (I've been a Hellsing fan for much longer, but it's great because of the psychotic action, and not because of it's plot). I had just finished watching Death Note and thirsted for more psychological thriller, so I checked out Monster. I liked DN (and I still do) but it felt like nothing when compared to Monster, so I had to see more from Naoki Urasawa. Now I have all the Monster manga volumes, all the 20th Century Boys volumes that have come out so far and one volume of Pluto as well. I'm also reading Billy Bat and I've read some of Happy! as well.

Besides Urasawa's works, the aforementioned, old favorite of mine, Hellsing, is one of my biggest seinen favorites. With all the blood and guts, vampires, crazy killer priests and vampire nazis burning down the world, how could anyone not like this series? And then there's Berserk, the ruthless portrayal of medieval times mixed with dark fantasy. The Golden Age arc really is pure gold, but the rest of the series isn't too bad, either, though Miura could still cut down on the fantasy adventure stuff.

From the futuristic GUNNM to historical series like Vagabond and Vinland Saga and from tales of epic conquests in space in Legend of the Galactic Heroes to the delightful portrayal of everyday life in Yotsuba&!, I like all kinds of seinen titles and keep reading and finding new favorites. And when it comes to mature shounen titles, besides DN, I like Hokuto no Ken and Devilman. The latter is especially great and it must be one of the most mature, if not the most mature, shounen manga.

Other favorites of mine include: Nausicaä, Black Lagoon, Maison Ikkoku, Detroit Metal City, Gunsmith Cats, Golgo 13, Elfen Lied, Parasyte and Tenjou Tenge.
GoldenBoy55Jul 31, 2010 10:56 AM
Sep 29, 2011 6:06 PM

Feb 2011
Seinen: Kaiji, LOGH
Josei: Solanin, Nana (I'm not sure if these are Josei)
Apr 6, 2012 2:22 PM

Dec 2007
oh yay. can I name all of them? lol
It's really hard to say which one is favorite... I always put Usagi Drop on the top of my list though. That one really touched my heart. After that, there's also Paranoia Agent, Mononoke, Nodame Cantabile, Monster (manga version), Mushishi and Kuragehime.
There are plenty of other series I still love, but I guess those would be my favorite ones.
Apr 6, 2012 3:30 PM
Sep 2010
Emma, Chobits, Honey and Clover, Usagi Drop.
Apr 14, 2012 7:45 AM
Mar 2012
Kimi Wa Petto
Suppli
Gokusen
Nana
Hotaru no Hikari

Does Seirei no Moribito count?
Apr 20, 2012 4:28 PM

Apr 2011
Worthy of mentioning are imo:
-Bartender
-Fly, Daddy, Fly!
-Gantz(Manga only)
-Advancing Giants

But I'm mainly just reading Seinen so...too much I could list which I think are brilliant.
Apr 28, 2012 4:41 AM
Mar 2012
Thanks to people mentioning Kuragehime here, it's now one of my favourites, too.
May 13, 2012 3:45 PM
Feb 2011
Favorite josei and seinen titles:

Chihayafuru
Kuragehime
Kimi wa Petto
Nana
Paradise Kiss
Hourou Musuko
xxxHolic
Mushishi
Higashi no Eden
Saraiya Goyou
Aoi Bungaku
Gokusen
Sakamichi no Apollon
Uchuu Kyoudai
DisapparateMay 13, 2012 3:55 PM
May 27, 2013 6:45 AM

Jan 2012
Anime - Mushishi
Manga - YKK
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What series got you hooked on Seinen or Josei titles? ( 1 2 3 )

CMB17 - Apr 10, 2008

102 by ruab »»
Jan 28, 2022 8:53 AM

» Seinen &amp; Josei reviews

Maegil - Apr 6, 2014

1 by ElenirLachlagos »»
Aug 21, 2014 1:28 PM

Sticky: » The boot

Yuunagi - Feb 17, 2009

32 by Maegil »»
Apr 5, 2014 4:35 AM

» Current seinen and josei

orion_black - Jun 6, 2013

3 by Baharuka »»
Jul 24, 2013 11:43 AM

Sticky: » Anime and Manga Relations ( 1 2 3 )

Yuunagi - Aug 26, 2007

123 by Antalk »»
Aug 15, 2012 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.