Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2011 5:45 AM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Goku hurry up, man! :O
LunaDec 6, 2013 4:22 AM

Oct 11, 2013 3:05 PM

Nov 2010
Piccolo's love for Gohan!!!! T^T LOVE!!! Awww it's so cute... I knew it from the moment Piccolo entered the show as a little brat, I knew he'd learn to love someday. He's so tsundere <3 ^///^
Nov 16, 2013 2:36 PM

May 2012
Common Goku, Piccolo can't die he's become so epic! Really get your ass there!!!
Nov 29, 2013 2:38 PM
Sep 2010
I freaking knew Piccolo had a heart. Sensed it since Dragon Ball. Really loving the series so far.
Uploader53Nov 29, 2013 4:50 PM
Uploader53
Dec 7, 2013 6:10 PM

Jun 2009
I think King Piccolo would be severely disappointed in his son.
Dec 6, 2015 9:57 AM

Apr 2014
Piccolo wants to sacrifice himself for protecting Son Gohan.
Jan 5, 2016 12:43 AM

Dec 2015
Goku has been out of the picture for too long! This is ridiculous.

No wonder there are 291 episodes! It takes 20 just to put one character back in the game!
Jan 17, 2016 7:52 PM

Aug 2013
This arc is reaching its big climax as each episode gets more and more intense.
linkjokerJan 17, 2016 8:00 PM
Aug 5, 2016 10:04 PM

Feb 2013
Its sad because if Vegeta hadn't warned him at the last second, Nappa would have been killed right there by Krillin :/. It would have been nice to have had Krillin actually take down a major villain, his destructo disc is honestly one of the most OP moves in this show lol. It's why everyone steals it later on =p.

Also Piccolo's sacrifice is one of the saddest moments in this show, it gets me everytime :(.
May 1, 2018 1:37 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I think gohan may be a bigger help later on but i wish piccolo wouldnt have go between that fight

Sep 12, 2018 4:39 AM

Jul 2008
Christ Goku....HURRY UP!!!

Also Piccolo for Father of the Year.
Nov 18, 2019 3:53 AM

Mar 2010
Watched this yesterday again after at least 15 or more years I think, highly Deja Vu feeling here especially when Piccolo sacrificed his life for Gohan.

I only wished Piccolo had slightly more impact on Nappa. Even Krillin looked stronger in this fight to me. Gohan with small outbursts of his power but its just not enough yet. Waiting for hero Goku still.
Mar 14, 2020 4:56 PM
Jan 2020
everyone is screwed. even if they survive kamis gone. looks like we're probably going to go to namek once all this has blown over.
Jul 9, 2020 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
I guess, by now, it is pretty likely that Piccolo has bitten the dust. Again, like the previous Z fighters' deaths, it is quite unfortunate, but this one feels very bittersweet. Training the son of your nemesis out of some sort of vengeance only to pass on by serving as a shield wall for a said son out of care feels poignant. It is sad. I am curious about one thing, though. Just how was Piccolo able to sense a semblance of Goku's power level while the two Saiyans, who are more powerful than Piccolo, couldn't ascertain a thing without their detector device? That's odd.

Nappa seems to hold pride in his Saiyan lineage. Still, not only is he brutal, monstrously ruthless, and bloodthirsty, his short temper is another hamper in his unsightly character. His sheer arrogance, were it not for Vegeta, would have landed him a one-way ticket to hell, courtesy of Krillin.

I appreciate how badass Krillin is and the utmost contributions he has offered so far in this fight. It is certainly praiseworthy.
removed-userJul 9, 2020 7:47 PM
Jul 11, 2020 11:47 AM

Dec 2015
Between the superb sacrifice scene that will come later and Krilin's very nice surprises (thanks to a new incredible control of Chi), this handful of episodes is still among my favourites.

5/5

@_Tokumei-no_ To be able to sense others spiritual energy/chi is its own skill and isn't simply known to some people. (If I remember well, this is, at first, only known by a very limited number of persons on Earth end of DB to suddenly being democratized among every "hero" a bit later)

_Tokumei-no_ said:
It appeared too simple of a reasoning. I guess some things are just that; simple.

A clue about Toriyama's works: either it's simple/matter-of-fact in-story or "out-of-story", author-wise. For the latter, see the most famous example, the explanation behind the SSJ's hair colouration. ^^
I'm not criticizing, I think he happens to be a great entertainer and I admire his sense of comics panelling (even more after seeing back to back his works and their TV adaptations) among other things.
Rei_IIIJul 13, 2020 11:42 PM
Jul 11, 2020 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Rei_III said:
@_Tokumei-no_ To be able to sense others spiritual energy/chi is its own skill and isn't simply known to some people. (If I remember well, this is, at first, only known by a very limited number of persons on Earth end of DB to suddenly being democratized among every "hero" a bit later)

Thank you for the explanation. I did think of that but it appeared too simple of reasoning. I guess some things are just that; simple.
Jul 14, 2020 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
have
Rei_III said:
_Tokumei-no_ said:
It appeared too simple of a reasoning. I guess some things are just that; simple.

A clue about Toriyama's works: either it's simple/matter-of-fact in-story or "out-of-story", author-wise. For the latter, see the most famous example, the explanation behind the SSJ's hair colouration. ^^
I'm not criticizing, I think he happens to be a great entertainer and I admire his sense of comics panelling (even more after seeing back to back his works and their TV adaptations) among other things.

I understand. While I don't know the entire meaning behind the "SSJ" -in particular, the J part- since I haven't got to that point yet, I do highly respect his skills and work, you just have to. After all, the Dragon Ball series is notoriously famous world-wide. That takes a lot of diligence and conscientiousness to create such a massively well-known series. I do have two of his very short works in my plan to watch list in an attempt to immerse myself in a few of his projects.
Jul 15, 2020 3:55 AM

Dec 2015
_Tokumei-no_ said:
I don't know the entire meaning behind the "SSJ" -in particular, the J part.

Super/supa saiya-jin

That takes a lot of diligence and conscientiousness to create such a massively well-known series. I do have two of his very short works in my plan to watch list in an attempt to immerse myself in a few of his projects.

And a good editor ("tantô") to push the author, navigate him in the right direction etc. Dragon Ball has, like many other titles, a lot to do with editorial decisions. It is the work of four men (although I think the last editor's main contribution was to "free" Toriyama and let him do what he wanted and go back to his roots).
For me, the most important contribution of Toriyama was his sense of panelling and his clear drawing (then his humour, but I'm probably in the minority to find him funny), things that the TV show can't properly convey.
Beyond humour and drawing style, you will probably be disappointed by his one-shots (he hadn't developed a good tempo yet). That's if it's a manga. Animations based on them are... well, pathetic.
Jul 15, 2020 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
Rei_III said:
That takes a lot of diligence and conscientiousness to create such a massively well-known series. I do have two of his very short works in my plan to watch list in an attempt to immerse myself in a few of his projects.

And a good editor ("tantô") to push the author, navigate him in the right direction etc. Dragon Ball has, like many other titles, a lot to do with editorial decisions. It is the work of four men (although I think the last editor's main contribution was to "free" Toriyama and let him do what he wanted and go back to his roots).
For me, the most important contribution of Toriyama was his sense of panelling and his clear drawing (then his humour, but I'm probably in the minority to find him funny), things that the TV show can't properly convey.
Beyond humour and drawing style, you will probably be disappointed by his one-shots (he hadn't developed a good tempo yet). That's if it's a manga. Animations based on them are... well, pathetic.

Oh? I think Toriyama's humor, if anything, is quite bold. To insert sexual humor for supposedly young viewers back in the '80s is nothing but daring. I respect undertaking such risks.

And of course, the editors and all who supported the project are to be noted as well. I was just talking generally.
Jul 15, 2020 8:06 PM

May 2020
why is it taking goku so long to arrive, cmon! Hopefully piccolo isn't dead, i love his and Gohan's relationship. Piccolo really does care about Gohan, even risked his life for the 'brat'.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2020 12:12 PM
May 2019
Kuririn's attack was absolutely insane - completely obliterating the mountain in half. It's a shame it missed, it could have severely damaged Nappa. I really wonder if Goku is the one with a power level of five-thousand. That really would be otherworldly. If that is the case, it should be easy for Goku to defeat them, especially, Nappa. This is interesting though. It seems there are other dragon balls out there, on planet Namek. I wonder what Vegeta meant with them being, perhaps, even more powerful though?
Mar 20, 2021 12:54 PM

Oct 2020
Gohan is getting it now. He is trying to be brave here. That was quite a plan but as I was afraid, these Saiyan's are too strong. If I remember Goku was also got over this problem in his second tournament. That time he was fighting against Krillian. However Krillian fought amazingly. He almost had him. If it was only Nappa here then they would've won by now. But Vegeta warned the muscle-head. However that was quite brave for Gohan to say. He was trying to save Piccolo as he knew if he lives other can reborn. Gohan's one kick was the strongest attack till now as it was quite surprising and powerful. Only if Gohan had more time to grow.

It was quite heart-touching that Piccolo tried to save Gohan. Knew that he wasn't that bad. In the tournament he may tricked Goku but he also fought with honour that time which made me think that. This is bad that he had to die. Felt like he just had a happy life finally and everything ended.

Now its only Gohan and Krillian. Though Krillian is down for some more time. Hope Goku comes before Gohan loses his life too. Now this is all on him.

Piccolo Junior always seemed a good man to me. Though the previous one was surely evil. But Junior earned my respect by his deeds. I think only if he had a good childhood, he could have been a good friend of Goku and others.
Apr 2, 2021 7:29 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
KRILLIN LET'S GOOOOOOOO
GOHAN LET'S GOOOOOOOO
PICCO LET'S GOOOOOOOO

Damn, good episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2023 2:48 PM

Jul 2021
This has been one of my favorite episodes so far. It made me so happy when everyone sensed goku's power level also piccolo blocking the attack, glad to see he cares.

Nov 21, 2023 6:28 PM
Nov 2020
Absolutely love Piccolos character development since the OG Dragon Ball, unlike Tien, the change is actually logical. There is clear reason behind him turning into a good guy. Piccolo is easily my favorite DB character ATM.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 122 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Oct 11, 2010

27 by GeoRush »»
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
Apr 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Apr 24, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.