Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 18, 2011 5:00 PM
May 2011
It was a pretty decent episode, the first couple of minutes were quote on quote "boring and wtf..." but after they got back to their "base" kinda place and had food or w/e things picked up and got better, I enjoyed their whole rescue plan of the two girls. I just hope they explain alot of things...since...lol I had no clue what they were talking about with their SP-15, W-5, TR-5...idk I just made those up just now, but I had no clue what those were T_T

so far 7/10 is the score.
ban1o.jpg
Oct 18, 2011 7:01 PM

Apr 2010
himmelmann turn!!!!

liking this so far.

i like fam but she is no claus :P
Oct 18, 2011 7:07 PM

Feb 2008
it has been some time seen i have seen the first one....i might have to watch it again

should i really know the events of the first season? id id recognize that maneuver tho.
kisamiOct 18, 2011 7:40 PM
Oct 18, 2011 9:07 PM

Jan 2010
Overall I feel this episode was true to the tone and atmosphere of the first Last Exile series. My full thoughts are posted here on my blog, but suffice to say I'll be watching this show and hoping for the best.

The action was quite good, and I'm glad the sky pirates had a pretty clever plan against those Federation ships. Not sure what to say about the new characters (or even Dio, for that matter), but I imagine everyone will be developed in a way similar to the first series.
Oct 18, 2011 9:24 PM

Apr 2011
what with the bitching and Claus fags?
Oct 19, 2011 9:40 AM

Oct 2011
Nice to see Dio again. His immelmann turn sure brought back some memories of the first season for me. Maybe Claus and others will make a cameo appearance later in the series?
Oct 19, 2011 3:40 PM
Oct 2011
@RyuKirin: Those SB-15 etc. numbers were just navigation, if you re-watch you'll see the officer or captain repeating the order usually spells it out fully whereas the shorthand is for the "morse code", such as starboard 15 degrees. And the point W-05 in Milia's order was just the coordinate marker for where the Lasas had to get to on the battlefield for the next stage of the Sky Pirates plan to commence which was where they scuttled the ship. :)

QualityCabbage said:
Nice to see Dio again. His immelmann turn sure brought back some memories of the first season for me. Maybe Claus and others will make a cameo appearance later in the series?

A number of them including Tatiana, Alister, and Alvis (who actually was done as a surprise as they only added her to official site's character list on the day the ep aired) are already in the OP :) With Alvis there and how inseparable the three were, I'd be quite surprised if Claus and Lavie don't make a surprise entrance later in the show, but I'm sure they'll want to keep that a secret from us until it happens so I don't expect them to spoil it by telling us. :)
Oct 19, 2011 3:47 PM
May 2009
Only a minute and a half in and I'm annoyed. Because the rope around the ankle thing would totally work and not, say, snap her bones painfully or perhaps even sever the whole foot off. I feel I'll get someone saying 'It's only fantasy, relax.' but something like this needs a grounding in reality. They could have made it more realistic by simply adding the rope around her middle with some thick padding to prevent injury. That would also cut out the clothes shedding which was unnecessary.

I already feel like I'm going to dislike Fam, but only finishing the episode will tell. Back to it.
Oct 19, 2011 7:25 PM
Oct 2010
So people, what you think is it?
[1] Sequel
[2] Remake
[3] Alternate Universe
[4] Other ___

For me is a Sequel, many thing indicate that.
Oct 19, 2011 8:49 PM
Sep 2010
rubiopaloosa said:
So people, what you think is it?
[1] Sequel
[2] Remake
[3] Alternate Universe
[4] Other ___
For me is a Sequel, many thing indicate that.

We know it's a sequel. It is apparent that the Dio we saw in the first episode is the one from the first series and these events happen after the first series.

I feel like I should probably rewatch the first one. It was such a good show but I saw it back more than 8 years ago and I forgot everything. Shit.
Oct 19, 2011 9:24 PM

Sep 2011
Loved the episode, so much so that I ended up pulling out the boxset and started watching the original yet again. Hopefully it will hold me over until the next.

Oct 20, 2011 12:15 PM

Mar 2009
Immelman turn!!!!!

:D
Oct 20, 2011 11:23 PM
Jul 2007
Since I saw Last Exile in 2003, it still amazes me after all these years that Dio is a GUY... he is probably thee most deceivingly effeminate male character of all the anime I've seen. I bet a lot of people new to this series mistake him as a girl :/

After seeing Shangri La (which sucked imho), it looks like Gonzo supports transgenders.
eraltergOct 20, 2011 11:29 PM
Oct 20, 2011 11:56 PM
Oct 2010
The first episode of Fam had more fanservice than the entirety of the first series. I'm not saying that fanservice is bad, but I'm just not sure I like the changes they are making. Like the nearly all-female cast, more lighthearted atmosphere (despite all the blood in the OP), and the fact that a single vanship can now take down a battleship, etc. Don't get me wrong, I liked the episode, but I still have reservations. I enjoyed the OP, but I don't think it suits the setting.
Oct 21, 2011 10:12 AM

Dec 2009
Okay, I watched this via Animax.

Not really understanding anything that is related from the prequel, but nevertheless, it is a strong episode which can attract even someone who haven't watch the original.
Oct 21, 2011 11:15 AM
Oct 2011
randomperson2229 said:
The first episode of Fam had more fanservice than the entirety of the first series. I'm not saying that fanservice is bad, but I'm just not sure I like the changes they are making. Like the nearly all-female cast, more lighthearted atmosphere (despite all the blood in the OP), and the fact that a single vanship can now take down a battleship, etc. Don't get me wrong, I liked the episode, but I still have reservations. I enjoyed the OP, but I don't think it suits the setting.

The atmosphere, while a tad lighter, wasn't really all that much lighter than the first part of the first season I don't think, maybe just a little due to the leads being pirates and more familiar with a battlefield rather than civilians. The race for example was entirely fun with lots of race banter, it wasn't until after that that the show really got down to business. Though I do think Dio's entrance and his personality made the start of the Pirate's maneuver delaying and wounding the fleet lighter feeling than Claus and Lavie's opening mission where they convinced Madthane to retreat from a losing battle, since Dio kicks it off right after goofing around for a moment. :) Plus the leads were on the offensive here and had a plan, whereas those leads were watching a losing battle, if we had watched it from the princesses' point of view it might have felt more desperate like Claus and Lavie's position. I think it's too early though to say what the atmosphere will be like since the OP, like you said, shows plenty of hints of very serious atmosphere. Agreed, the fanservice was fine but it was still unnecessary and something that the first series did rather subtly on the rare occasion it did any, it didn't need to be there.

Hmmm...I don't remember any instances of a single vanship sinking a battleship though. At the beginning Fam's vanship leads the Sky Pirate's latest prey into a trap set by multiple ships, and in the large scale fleet battle they use signals to trick the battleships into firing on each other with their own weapons.
DangerMouseDMOct 21, 2011 11:42 AM
Oct 21, 2011 2:38 PM

Feb 2009
Nice episode. Definitely the most refreshing series of the season, as far as I'm concerned.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Oct 22, 2011 10:08 AM

May 2010
Pretty good for a first episode !!
Oct 22, 2011 3:32 PM

Oct 2011
Well, when the new Alvis appears, you can see someone at the background.............. CLAUS?!
Oct 24, 2011 3:57 AM

Jul 2009
Soldatelli said:
Well, when the new Alvis appears, you can see someone at the background.............. CLAUS?!

The character that stands mysteriously in the background during Alvis's appearance in the OP:

I believe it's none other than
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Oct 25, 2011 7:01 AM

Jun 2008
mdz said:
Why is everything I didn't plan on watching turning out pretty good... This looks like it could be a really good series, really enjoyed the animation. The OST seemed really good too, just a bit confused on a few parts of the story so far, but it'll probably get cleared up soon. The main character seems to be female, a refreshing change from the usually cliche male lead for this type of anime. Will have to see where this heads.
Oh right, I have no experience with the original Last Exile, so I don't have a basis for contrasting between them. As it's own, it's pretty good so far.

That's it. The first episode was actually quite good and it showed promise and although i haven't got much memories left from when i saw the first Last Exile i don't remember being more excited about the first episode of it ether.

Actually this girl seem more fun than the guy we had as main in the first Last Exile and his issues.

I think some people just put the first higher in their consciousness that it deserves and now are overly critical with this. For now the show seemed to be just fine.
Oct 26, 2011 4:57 AM

Mar 2010
Gonzo took away half of what made Last Exile good (the male lead and the bad-ass big-brother figures) and replaces the main casts with cute girls. They thereby turned it into potentially pedo-pandering moe-crap.

How is this better? (If you're a slobbering pedo / 2d > 3D animu fan, don't answer.)
Oct 30, 2011 2:25 AM

Jul 2007
Last Exile: The Moe Edition.

I was looking forward to this, but I knew I couldn't keep up with it after the first two minutes. Animation is nice, I don't *hate* the op, but this is just so not what made Last Exile good.

They're trying SO hard to make it the K-On of steampunk anime or something.
<---made of awesome!
Nov 4, 2011 8:53 PM
Oct 2007
Loved the first ep- the characters, the music, the action scenes, the voice acting.
Nov 6, 2011 8:38 PM
May 2011
When I hear moe and all female cast I automatically think of K-on, Madoka, Lucky Star ect. So, I'll give this a hell no even though I loved the first series
Nov 18, 2011 7:15 AM

May 2010
Tyrenol said:
Gonzo took away half of what made Last Exile good (the male lead and the bad-ass big-brother figures) and replaces the main casts with cute girls. They thereby turned it into potentially pedo-pandering moe-crap.

How is this better? (If you're a slobbering pedo / 2d &gt; 3D animu fan, don't answer.)

The key word here is *potentially*. So far, at least in the first episode, this has been avoided.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 22, 2011 7:55 PM

Oct 2011
OMG I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS ANIME~! @_@ What a great way to start a Last Exile sequel. The first season was amazing.
The OP is alright. Way better then season 1's OP at least. I love the ED song though.

Fam is super cute and the other characters are really likable too. The art also got a makeover and its gorgeous!

I freakin' nearly fell off my chair when I saw Dio!!!<3 Can't believe my favorite character is alive. He also looks so much cuter then he did in season 1, didn't think it was possible.

Overall, very very happy with this episode. Can't wait to watch more.
Dec 24, 2011 11:48 PM
Oct 2011
Enjoy! I think you'll like what's coming (not to mention more Dio since you said he's your favorite) and be just as addicted by the epicness and emotional strength of the next two eps right off the bat that continue to build off that great premiere return of Last Exile.

Show's been great so far IMO with a lot of really good episodes. :)
Dec 25, 2011 12:16 AM

Dec 2011
DangerMouseDM said:
Enjoy! I think you'll like what's coming (not to mention more Dio since you said he's your favorite) and be just as addicted by the epicness and emotional strength of the next two eps right off the bat that continue to build off that great premiere return of Last Exile.

Show's been great so far IMO with a lot of really good episodes. :)

*thumbs up*
-and showing some other characters from the previous season

makes it even more exciting.
Mar 26, 2012 6:51 PM

Nov 2011
Great to see Dio back again and just started to marathon the series. Hope I'll be impressed ^_^
Mar 29, 2012 8:57 PM

Nov 2011
Does anyone know the song from the beginning portion of the anime? Not the OP but the song playing as soon as the episode starts?
Dec 8, 2013 7:49 AM

May 2012
NICE! And ow wow didn't expect to see Dio still there and so joyful for that matter but well it does give it a nice feeling to see a familiar in the second season even though the story is set quite some time into the future of the previous season... but well let's see what this story has to offer us!
Feb 1, 2014 9:13 AM

Aug 2013
Ooh so Dio's really alive! :D

But I'm kind of confused though. In LE there was only like two powerful forces (not counting the Guild): Disith and Anatoray. Where did Turan and Ades come from? The presence of multiple moons suggest this isn't the same world...but then again I don't think the moon was ever shown in LE. I'm confused. Hopefully it'll be answered soon.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 8, 2016 11:12 PM

Feb 2013
Maybe it's just me, but the Turan flagship, the Lasas, looks all too similar to an X-Wing.
Feb 19, 2017 10:19 PM

Feb 2015
Onii said:

Why the fuck is Dio still alive?

basically this.
--------------
i don't know how to feel that dio is alive. besides the fact that it's next to impossible for him to be alive, it's not fair to his brother. his death wasn't something that just happened. it signified something. to have him alive AND without his brother AND with out lavi or claus just seems wrong.

also i'm calling plothole on the first seconds of the show. how on earth could that have caught her before she fell to her death the first time BEFORE they put the rope on her?

besides that i'm interested in the show. nice to see that ciel can sing as well.
Jul 24, 2021 7:59 AM

Aug 2017
Dio has no forehead sign now, huh

Miyuki Sawashiro was a pleasant surprise! Great start for the sequel for now, I really loved the pirates' crazy plan, it was so much fun. Everything looks so smooth and pretty too...

People complaining about "fanservice" seem to be unaware of Range Murata's work lol.

also i'm calling plothole on the first seconds of the show. how on earth could that have caught her before she fell to her death the first time BEFORE they put the rope on her?

Maybe they knew she was a sleepwalker beforehand, maybe she first did it inside the house and not on the ship, maybe the first time she just bumped into something and didn't fall, there're many possibilities. Not a plothole.
St0rmbladeJul 24, 2021 8:21 AM
Feb 16, 2023 3:17 PM
Jul 2021
WTF did I just watch? What in the name of God is this trash?

This is a complete and total mockery of the original, even Dio is a mockery of himself! He's an empty shell of his former self, an unoriginal, unfunny pathetic bastard rehash of the og Dio!

I was already out of this show before the intro rolled in! That idiotic Fam "intro" it's like how idiotic can you be? The rope should have snapped her foot off of from her body and she should have died right then and there.

Before the intro came along I already knew what kind character Fam was going to be, she's nothing more than a unoriginal Mary Sue.

This show is nothing more than a feminist wet dream come to life.

And I better not even mention the intro, WTF! its full of pedophile undertones. Full of half naked lolis and other disturbing imagery throw about just for cheap shock values.

The first episode was dull, let's "show off how good Fam is" and then this little Mary Sue cvnt gets surprised by a simple Immelmann turn! WTF cvnt? Never saw Dio doing one before? We have!

The double standards of this show are off the charts! The way the females characters talk and interact with their male counterparts is full on misandry and obnoxious. If any male character acted the same way they do towards a female one, well we all know how it would end up being.

Poor Teddy! Get yourself free from that cvnt "Princess" control asap.

This Fam b!tch I already know what kind of character she'll be, she's perfect in every way possible, she will not have to struggle to achieve anything, she will not learn anything, she will boss around anyone, especially any boy/male around, because she's so much better than any guy in this show. Everything will be handed to her on a silver platter.

While Claus was a likeable character, she will be an annoying, insufferable one.

While you rooted and cheered for Claus, you'll find yourself wishing for Fam to be routed out of existence.

And I got all of this out of the first 12 minutes of episode 1! WOW, great job there Gonzo! You took a beloved franchise and turned it into a bastard of it self.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Jun 25, 2023 4:51 PM
Dec 2015
Not even 10 seconds into the first episode, and it's already showing fanservice jailbait. Why do shows do this? The first episode is supposed to be the hook, does this studio really have nothing more to offer?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam Episode 2 Discussion

stevewiess01 - Oct 21, 2011

47 by -Dark_Flame- »»
Dec 30, 2023 2:59 PM

Poll: » Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 23, 2012

78 by K-cong »»
Oct 1, 2023 11:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam Episode 15 Discussion

Shih - Feb 3, 2012

26 by Dawizz »»
Mar 9, 2023 12:49 AM

Poll: » Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam Episode 14 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jan 27, 2012

22 by Dawizz »»
Mar 9, 2023 12:32 AM

Poll: » Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam Episode 13 Discussion

lanblade - Jan 18, 2012

28 by Dawizz »»
Mar 9, 2023 12:22 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.