Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2011 8:42 AM

Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:
DrHouse said:
Yeah, I don't understand why there are so many people in this thread who are unable to go 1 hour without a fight scene.

Well, from people's reaction you can know right away if that person actually READ books or not. If they can't stand an hour of wonderfully-scripted dialogue with tons of lore and character background introduction, they probably did not read a lot of books in their life.
I disagreed with this about the book. I myself don't prefer reading book(I know I suck at reading because I am slow at reading book but I do read books)

It is not that hard to see why people so disappointed with this episode full of texts. When they heard Fate anime you should have known what most people would expect themselves to see is "ACTION". And when they heard about 1 hour episode long they would even expected even more fighting scenes. So you can't really blame them for this right? If the first time they give you candy and the next time they give you only water I am pretty sure you are not going to be so happy about that. Well, unless you are the kind of kid who prefer water over candy.

For me, when I saw the announcement about 1 hour episode long I have already expected this episode to be like. It would be too crazy of me to expect the extension was to make the fighting last longer for a TV show. And I am all for this one rather than some mess up fighting here and there all over the place for a entire episode. Loved the exchanged between Kirei and Kiritsu about how Kirei found Kiritus as an interesting man while Kiritsu thinking of Kirei as a man he couldn't understand and fear.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 2, 2011 8:46 AM

Jan 2009
Omg this is going to be so exciting!!!!
Oct 2, 2011 9:02 AM

Jul 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know if I have to have watched Fate/Stay Night in order to follow what goes on in Fate/Zero? MAL says that Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night so...
~ Yumeka ~

Mainichi Anime Yume - my anime blog
Oct 2, 2011 9:13 AM

Jan 2010
my body...it was not ready....I thought it was but it truely was not. Very good first episode Im very pleased. Not much I can comment on other than vampire dude is a fckin douchebag and I found the walking in circles at that start stupid as hell but other than that Ill see about next week.
Oct 2, 2011 9:26 AM

Jul 2007
Yumeka said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know if I have to have watched Fate/Stay Night in order to follow what goes on in Fate/Zero? MAL says that Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night so...

Not necessarily.

In fact yhou are better off NOT watching FSN, since the adaptation was HORRIBLE.

Most of stuff that happens can be understood from fate/zero alone.

If you will, its better to one day just go through thefate/stay night visual novel as it has been released in english in both legal and illegal means , if you want to get the second meanings for certain things(like what is exact importance of Tohsaka Rin and Matou Sakura as they are two out of three lead heroines of FSN novel). Also, fate/zero sort of sets up and leads into fsn visual novel storyline.

Otherwise you can pretty much watch and enjoy fate/zero without any FSN knowledge.
AhenshihaelOct 2, 2011 10:10 AM
Oct 2, 2011 9:39 AM

Apr 2010
as expected of the hitmakers..

im just kinda confused about the names..because its been a long time since ive watched fate stay night..so i already forgot the other characters appeared here and in fate stay night.

but nonetheless..i am really betting this will be one of the most talk about and best anime this season..:)
Oct 2, 2011 9:55 AM

Aug 2008
Why are we still screaming against Deen's F/SN adaptation? It is quite faithful to the source material with a bit of fillers (sometimes a bit far out, see Leather Sakura) but still a fair adaptation. It captured the feel of the route in many different episodes and, even though it lacks completeness, its a nice ride.
Oct 2, 2011 10:02 AM

Nov 2010
I'm joining the choir in how great Fate/Zero looks.(I wasn't absolutely blown away but it's near the top for great looking shows this season). Since I haven't read the light novels, I'm curious to see how Waver Talent(?) fare with his Berserker servant.
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Oct 2, 2011 10:09 AM
Aug 2011
KyubeyMittens said:
I'm joining the choir in how great Fate/Zero looks.(I wasn't absolutely blown away but it's near the top for great looking shows this season). Since I haven't read the light novels, I'm curious to see how Waver Talent(?) fare with his Berserker servant.

Jeez, his name is Waver Velvet and his Servant is Rider =))
Oct 2, 2011 10:10 AM
Jul 2011
I liked how they set up the first episode, good introductory for me.
Oct 2, 2011 10:12 AM

Jul 2007
Ukyo9 said:
Why are we still screaming against Deen's F/SN adaptation? It is quite faithful to the source material with a bit of fillers (sometimes a bit far out, see Leather Sakura) but still a fair adaptation. It captured the feel of the route in many different episodes and, even though it lacks completeness, its a nice ride.

Err...no.

On surface for inexperienced viewer who never tasted the nasuverse, it might look "nice". however its hollow. Empty. devoid of any emotion or meaning the original novel had. Its thanks to DEEN's adaptation that Shiro looked like a complete and utter pussy(thats what you get when you fail to adapt the reasoning behind his actions and personality) and don't even let me get started on the huge major clusterfuck that was the second half of FSN deen's adaptation.
Oct 2, 2011 10:15 AM

May 2010
I haven't seen FS/N but this is just AWESOME!!!!

I was confused at the start with the heavy dialogue but nevertheless it all makes sense in the middle and gets EPIC in the latter part.

What else can I say. I'M SO SOLD FOR THIS!!!
Oct 2, 2011 10:22 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Siva said:
So you can't really blame them for this right? If the first time they give you candy and the next time they give you only water I am pretty sure you are not going to be so happy about that. Well, unless you are the kind of kid who prefer water over candy.

To me, a nicely-animated action scene cannot be appreciated to its fullest without a coherent and intriguing background. For instance, if you read A Song of Ice and Fire, you'd notice that you do not need LOTR-style action and battles to make the series epic. The detailed character development and POV approach can sometimes overwhelm the action part.

Again, this episode was probably the most intense episode I have watched in the last 6 months. It didn't have a lot of action but I was literally sticking my face to the screen.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 2, 2011 10:29 AM

Jul 2010
Was great. I loved it.

This is going to be an amazing series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2011 10:35 AM

Jul 2008
Fai said:
Yumeka said:

Not necessarily.

In fact yhou are better off NOT watching FSN, since the adaptation was HORRIBLE.

Most of stuff that happens can be understood from fate/zero alone.

If you will, its better to one day just go through thefate/stay night visual novel as it has been released in english in both legal and illegal means , if you want to get the second meanings for certain things(like what is exact importance of Tohsaka Rin and Matou Sakura as they are two out of three lead heroines of FSN novel). Also, fate/zero sort of sets up and leads into fsn visual novel storyline.

Otherwise you can pretty much watch and enjoy fate/zero without any FSN knowledge.

Thanks for the info! UTW subs also says on their blog that I don't really need previous knowledge of Fate/Stay Night. So I shall check out Fate/Zero =D
~ Yumeka ~

Mainichi Anime Yume - my anime blog
Oct 2, 2011 11:08 AM

Aug 2010
Fai said:
Ukyo9 said:

Err...no.

On surface for inexperienced viewer who never tasted the nasuverse, it might look "nice". however its hollow. Empty. devoid of any emotion or meaning the original novel had. Its thanks to DEEN's adaptation that Shiro looked like a complete and utter pussy(thats what you get when you fail to adapt the reasoning behind his actions and personality) and don't even let me get started on the huge major clusterfuck that was the second half of FSN deen's adaptation.

Yeah, honestly the only difference the FSN anime adaptation could make is info on Gil and Saber but doesn't really make much of a difference. Just watch Fate/Zero and play the Fate stay night VN after if you're interested.
Oct 2, 2011 11:40 AM

Jun 2009
Siva said:
It is not that hard to see why people so disappointed with this episode full of texts. When they heard Fate anime you should have known what most people would expect themselves to see is "ACTION". And when they heard about 1 hour episode long they would even expected even more fighting scenes. So you can't really blame them for this right?

The fate/stay night visual novel had a four hour prologue that consisted of mostly dialogue. Anyone who knows fate, knows that the action doesn't start immediately.
Good action starts suddenly. Great action requires build-up.

As for the Deen Adaptation. I think calling it heresy is too much. I admit that the caster arc was pretty bad but I understand why they made it. In the VN Fate route Caster was gunned down faster than a sitting duck. If they followed that way it would have made it fairly cheap. The reason for the mana dragon is obvious as well.
I peg it as a decent anime. It introduced me to the type moon universe and I can't look at it badly as without it I would have missed out on a hell of a lot of awesome found in those works. All and all it did it's job. Sure it could have been done better but it could have been so much worse.
God forbid it could have ended up like the Tsukihime anime...

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Oct 2, 2011 11:54 AM
Sep 2009
Very good first ep, <3 it. Lets hope they dont screw it up.
Oct 2, 2011 11:59 AM

Feb 2009
Never seen F/SN, so I watched this on a whim due to all the hype. My thoughts:

- shiny art. Very pleasing to the eyes.
- Very dialogue heavy, I was very confused in the first half and tbh kind of bored. I caught on better later, though.
- The end was pretty epic.

I'll keep watching, I'm not 100% sold but it did have an "epic" feel to it, and a lot of potential.
Oct 2, 2011 12:24 PM

Sep 2011
As expected, it was very good. The animation was beautiful. It's one of the best looking animes so far this year and it had its epic moments. Can't wait for more!
Oct 2, 2011 12:45 PM

Oct 2007
AidanAK47 said:
The fate/stay night visual novel had a four hour prologue that consisted of mostly dialogue. Anyone who knows fate, knows that the action doesn't start immediately.
Good action starts suddenly. Great action requires build-up.
Not many people who have seen FSN anime played the game. And the people who complained here are mostly anime-watching-only and that was my whole point.

And I agreed, "Great action requires build-up"

wakka9ca said:
To me, a nicely-animated action scene cannot be appreciated to its fullest without a coherent and intriguing background.

Couldn't agree more. As I said before I am liking what I seen so far(so disappointed with UBW movie for a purely mindless action on most part)

wakka9ca said:
For instance, if you read A Song of Ice and Fire, you'd notice that you do not need LOTR-style action and battles to make the series epic. The detailed character development and POV approach can sometimes overwhelm the action part.
Haven't read it(doubt I would get the chance to read it either) but heard about its famous and saw a little bit of the TV series.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 2, 2011 12:55 PM

Mar 2009
That was a nice first episode. It was a bit boring though, but the wonderful art and music made it all right... Well, that's only the prologue, you need it to make a good story, so I'm confident that the next episodes will be even better. But it's Type Moon and ufotable we're talking about, so I don't worry about the outcome !

I didn't play the VN, but I watched the TV series and the movie, and well, they were good, but not better than just "good". But I heard so many great things about Zero, that I need to watch it even though I'm not a big FSN fan ^^
Oct 2, 2011 1:01 PM

Jan 2009
Gods, the opening. It's LiSa, LiSa goddamnit. I'm so happy she is doing stuff apart from Angel Beats, I can't even. The art is gorgeous and all, hope this anime hits the spot this season.
Oct 2, 2011 1:17 PM

Jul 2007
Siva said:
Not many people who have seen FSN anime played the game. And the people who complained here are mostly anime-watching-only a

Hence its not show's problem. Everyone who knew the source material knows what to expect, everyone who knows nothing about FSN will know what to expect.

I can obviously forgive anime-only heretics for mindlessly raging about no action, since they have been subjected to DEEN's adaptation already which is a pitiful fact already, but seriously? going into type-moon stuff expecting straight out fighting? really?

FSN is half a metaphor for a growing up and the periods one goes through when growing up, half a strange philosophical thing Kinoko Nasu is known for and somewhere in between there are fights., awesome fights none the less.

It might be the fact that only one out of two Type-Moon franchises that have ever been adapted as anime(Fate and knk), has been even remotely decent(and its not deen's one), but if one goes into nasuverse stuff one should be prepared for hours of text.

FSN alone was massive in its length per route and even though zero is not exactly the work of nasu himself, it still holds true there too.

Judging a work and franchise by one utterly abysmal adaptation is ridiculous. By that idea people coming to fullmetal alchemist:brotherhood should have expected doom, gloom and hours of misdirected and misplaced angst and people getting TRC:Tokyo Revelations OVAs should have been disappointed that their cute ccs-copypasta suddenly is a depressing doom and gloom stuff with stuff straight out of slasher movies.
AhenshihaelOct 2, 2011 1:21 PM
Oct 2, 2011 1:31 PM

Nov 2007
I have to say, I am impressed.

I felt bad for Kariya. Somehow I found his reason to join the Holy Grail war a whole lot touching, with the vow to save Sakura and return her to being a normal girl.

Rin looked super cute. Did I ever mention she was the one why I liked Fate/Stay Night?

Edit: Saber summoning was the best of all. But I am interested in Berserker. Looks badass in the opening.

shanimebibOct 2, 2011 2:06 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 2, 2011 1:45 PM
Jun 2009
omg this fall season is gonna BE EPIC

i have very high expectations for this

I thought the dialogue was necessary for setting the stage and omg the summoning scene / music was TOOO EPIC! Something you won't find in the VN.

<3 TYPEMOON
Oct 2, 2011 1:46 PM

Dec 2009
epic sauce !
yuno6.jpg
Oct 2, 2011 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
What we know by now:

Kirei already had Assassin
Kiritsugu summoned Saber
Tokiomi summoned Gilgamesh the Archer
Waver summoned Rider (Amazing Rider pics here!!)
Ryuunosuke will summon Caster (OP) (Amazing Caster pics here!!)
Archibald will summon Lancer (OP)
Kariya summoned Berserker (Wasn't shown, but that's what he is left with!)
Coronavirus.
Oct 2, 2011 2:11 PM

Mar 2008
Ew. Those bugs all over Sakura.
I can't get that out of my head.

Oct 2, 2011 2:22 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
shanimebib said:
What we know by now:

Kiritsugu summoned Saber

Well Rider, Lancer, Caster and Berserker are all different this time.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 2, 2011 2:22 PM

Nov 2007
Also, I am really glad the ufotable is behind the animation. I just recently saw Kara no Kyoukai first movie and the animation was mindbogglingly brilliant. I am surprised that they kept the same level of animation in a TV series. From the animation quality alone along with detailed environment and backgrounds, you can already tell tons of money have been poured into its creation. I am just glad its not Studio Deen.

And the BGMs are done by Kajira Yuki. I loved her compositions in Tsubasa Chronicle, Madoka Magica and Baccono! She also did the BGM for Kara no Kyoukai movies. So this isn't her first collab with ufotable. :)

wakka9ca said:
shanimebib said:
What we know by now:

Kiritsugu summoned Saber

Well Rider, Lancer, Caster and Berserker are all different this time.

Actually, other than Saber, everyone servant is different.
Coronavirus.
Oct 2, 2011 2:31 PM
Sep 2011
Absolutley great for a first episode, it got all the boring stuff out the way, let us know most of these characters and give them good reason for competing, now we can start the part everybody wants to see, the fights betweent hese characters :)
Oct 2, 2011 2:32 PM
Dec 2007
shanimebib said:
What we know by now:

Kiritsugu summoned Saber
Berserker was shown and you should already know it is Berserker by the words used by Kariya. The extra lines Kariya was forced to add by Zouken are a forceful way of making your summoned Hero into a Berserker (the lines that talk about chaos and madness). Only Berserkers can be forcibly summoned that way, the rest just fall into whatever class they're most compatible with (like Gil being Archer and Arturia being Saber). By the way, it was amusing seeing Kiritsugu's "wait, did I fuck up here" face when she saw a girl instead of his expected King Arthur.

It was interesting how Kiritsugu himself knows exactly what most people will realize soon enough. Saber is too "Shirou-like", aka "in your face", for his tastes. Kiritsugu's style fits nicely with Assassin, as fighters who work in the shadows using whichever underhanded trick they need. But he would have gotten denied either way since Kirei already had dibs on Assassin.

shanimebib said:

Not really, Archer Gilgamesh was still alive and kicking in Stay Night. Then again, there were two archers in F/SN so...

Oct 2, 2011 2:40 PM

Sep 2011
In Fate/Stay Night I always wondered why Rin felt like she left Sakura, but now I see why, they were actually sisters.
And I really feel bad for Kariya, poor guy looks like he could die any second D:
Definitely looking forward to the rest
Oct 2, 2011 3:01 PM

Jun 2009
Leon-Gun said:
shanimebib said:

Not really, Archer Gilgamesh was still alive and kicking in Stay Night. Then again, there were two archers in F/SN so...
That's actually not everything though.^^
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Oct 2, 2011 3:33 PM

Oct 2010
wakka9ca said:
Again, this episode was probably the most intense episode I have watched in the last 6 months. It didn't have a lot of action but I was literally sticking my face to the screen.
I will agree with you on that. Usually I tend to pause to see what is happening or mark down things or take a screenshot but damn the thing made me glue to my screen and forget all BS other than watching it. Until it was over and I come from my trance like I was a ghost going into another world to observe the conversation of another person.
AidanAK47 said:
Anyone who knows fate, knows that the action doesn't start immediately. Good action starts suddenly. Great action requires build-up.
EXACTLY! AMEN to that!

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 2, 2011 3:58 PM

May 2009
This shit is going to be amazing. How can they make 40 min of dialogue so epic?! The music was brilliant and made everything very atmospheric too, as expected from Kajiura Yuki.
Oct 2, 2011 4:18 PM

Mar 2009
amazing
Oct 2, 2011 4:21 PM

Aug 2010
YES! 40 minutes of fun!
Oct 2, 2011 4:36 PM

Jul 2010
This episode was immensely enjoyable.
Great music, animation, everything.
The extended episode was flawless.
Oct 2, 2011 4:43 PM

Apr 2011
Fate/Zero starts off really well, I actually thought it would be like the original, which I did not care for.

We still have a few same Servants like Saber and Gilgamesh (let hope he's not broken).

The new Rider is "Alexander the Great", I'm glad they've other historic characters being introduce to the show and this guy has a warm aura, kind of like Santa Claus XD

10/10 episode
Oct 2, 2011 4:55 PM

Apr 2009
Episode was amazing... What happened to Sakura made me feel sick though... Poor poor Sakura. Waited for UTW's release and totally worth it! Can't wait for the next episode. :D

Since the first episode was twice the length of a normal episode, was 1&2 merged or was the episode just a feature length first episode?
Oct 2, 2011 4:56 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
vansonbee said:

The new Rider is "Alexander the Great", I'm glad they've other historic characters being introduce to the show and this guy has a warm aura, kind of like Santa Claus XD

I, for once, welcome our Santa Alexander.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Oct 2, 2011 4:59 PM

Nov 2009
BurningIcecube said:
Episode was amazing... What happened to Sakura made me feel sick though... Poor poor Sakura. Waited for UTW's release and totally worth it! Can't wait for the next episode. :D

Since the first episode was twice the length of a normal episode, was 1&2 merged or was the episode just a feature length first episode?

No it wasnt a double episode, that was only ep 1. We have 24 more eps to go :D

Speaking about the ep, it was great, the characters are much more interesting than FSN (i played the VN because the anime bored me), and more badass. I know i will root for berserker, he seems really badass, and Kariya is too nice to be in this war :(
Oct 2, 2011 5:01 PM

Jun 2008
Great episode. Much better than FSN if i may say.
Bless you heaven, there´s no Shirou here cough.sorry

Anyway, if it keeps like this it will be EPIC!

Kariya almost made me emo, he´s the ugliest cutest chara ever. his old fart should die already and leave him and Sakura alone.

one word: GIL. GIL. GIL. ok that were three words.XP The guy is hot, i cant help it~

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 2, 2011 5:31 PM
Aug 2011
Was literally jizzing my pants during the summoning scene. The music is fucking epic just like in F/SN

ITS BACK!
Oct 2, 2011 5:32 PM
Jun 2009
I hope all the episodes are going to be like this

They managed to make an episode full of dialogue and introduction EPIC

I was glued from the beginning to the end. The summoning ritual gave me epic goosebumps. The music and animation was just pure bliss >.< I have not experienced such epicness in a while!

Judging from this, this is gonna be way better than FS/N anime/ Unlimited Blade Works adaptation although being better than the latter isn't saying much...... COULD IT BE A SUCCESSFUL VN-ANIME ADAPTATION?*keeps fingers crossed*
Let us pray this isn't another tsukihime adaptation lmfao

<3 Typemoon
Oct 2, 2011 5:35 PM
Aug 2011
^
I was feeling goosebumps the whole episode, so epic. Typemoon is in a class of its own.
Oct 2, 2011 5:45 PM

Feb 2010
So.. much epicness. Definitely more information being thrown at us. I like understanding.
Oct 2, 2011 5:49 PM

Apr 2008
They spent some cash on this one for sure.
Pages (14) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm not interested in the fate series at all but

mydaddy - Yesterday

11 by filthyfrank8142 »»
42 minutes ago

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.