Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 29, 2011 8:01 PM

Mar 2009
A fitting end to the third season. It almost felt like an ending to the series as a whole, honestly. Natsume's realization that both the yokai and his human friends have become irreplaceable to him pretty much sums up the theme of this season. A much needed episode, too, as Natsume has been spending more and more time with his human friends. Sure, one day, he might move on forever, but I'm sure he'll never forget his time spent with the yokai.

Anyway, the third season was better than the last season but not as good as the first, IMO. I don't think anything will ever beat episodes 6-8 in the first season. Still, 9/10. Can't wait until Winter!

Thalandor46 said:
I like Natsume Yuujinchou, I really do. I just kind of wish people would stop worshiping the ground it walks on.

Never!
MormegilOct 29, 2011 8:11 PM
Nov 11, 2011 3:53 PM

Dec 2009
LOL AT NYANKO SENSEI AND MISUZU, THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY, they were trying to kill everyone
HAHA

The ending was damn cute! Natsume didn't get to play with kids when he was young, but now he could play with his Youkai's friends.
Dec 11, 2011 3:38 PM

May 2009
Another season, yeess!

I love Natsume so much, and his friends, and the youkais. This episode was pretty fun to watch, they're all amazing :)

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.

Dec 23, 2011 11:10 PM

Feb 2009
My favorite Natsume Yuujinchou season! I was surprised some people didn't like it, because it was the most touching and with beautiful episodes for me. :3
Dec 27, 2011 1:37 PM

Aug 2009
Well, I'm all caught up just in time for the fourth season! I wonder if they'll even have enough material in the manga for that. But if they want to do just an all season filler, I am TOTALLY okay with that. I personally love Natsume fillers because they always leave me with a nostalgic feeling.

The last five minutes were so great for me. It gave me the same feeling I get after watching a Miyazaki movie.

Absolutely cannot wait for the fourth season!
Dec 29, 2011 7:25 PM

Jul 2011
Watched this one in the last couple of days so that I'd ready when the fourth season comes out in January. It made really happy to see that Natsume's got both people and youkai who care about him. Although I was kind of meh about the series when I was watching the first season of the anime, I've gotten quite attached to Natsume and the other characters now.
previously UnhappyRefrain - non-binary - they/them - California
Tumblr - Twitter - Youtube - DeviantArt
old sig
Dec 30, 2011 3:48 PM

Jul 2009
LOL, great ep!

Love the part where Natsume and Tanuma were thinking of what they could be in the future and their models XDDD

Can't wait for season 4~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 26, 2012 11:30 PM

Jan 2011
At last I'm caught up. Now just 4 episodes in the current season and I'll be waiting each week for the episode. I loved the season finale, but overall I found this cour not quite as good as the others (still a 9/10 though). Hopefully we'll find out more about Reiko in the next (current) season. Oh yes, and more Taki please!
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 29, 2012 4:50 AM

Aug 2008
Great episode. Love the Madara x Natsume moments.
Now on to season 4!
Mar 20, 2012 5:39 PM

Aug 2011
Pretty good finale. Though, It would have been a perfect time to let his human friends meet his youkai friends at that drinking party. Taki should've made a large circle so they could have all been inside. Oh well, all in due time, i guess...

Season 4, here i come!!!
Apr 1, 2012 9:59 AM

Dec 2009
This was a funny episode to end the third season :)
Natsume didn't disappoint again. 8/10

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 13, 2012 3:11 PM

Feb 2009
NEKO-est said:
LOL, great ep!

Love the part where Natsume and Tanuma were thinking of what they could be in the future and their models XDDD

QFT.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Aug 17, 2012 4:09 AM

Oct 2011
A great ending! This episode was so heart warming. x) Gotta watch season 4 now!
Sep 4, 2012 4:24 AM

Dec 2010
This was nice final episode, as usual for Natsume Yuujinchou. Misuzu's appearance was just enough for me to make this episode great, but this wasn't all. Actually I liked better the moments when Natsume was with his human friends. His' and Tanuma's images of their futures were just hilarious xD But really, it's now that I saw how both of them changed for good.

Onion alien? Is that you? Or it's only me? :D

1. Characters. +1. Natsume Yuujinchou's characters excelled more than any time before. The spirits were better this time too, but what I liked even better were Natsume and his friends. They are a lot better now, especially when it comes to himself, Tanuma and Taki.
2. Atmosphere. I can't say anything much positive or negative, but I guess I didn't like it as much as I did in Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou. Not that we were all out of atmosphere, just it wasn't anything special.
3. OST. +1. The OP was great, tho I don't like the ED. I don't think I felt bad about any other bit of it.
4. Animation. +1. It's good as it is. At first, back in Season 1 I felt bad about some of the spirits' forms, but I'm used to them now. Besides, there's something in the color tones that makes the whole "natsume" feeling about this anime.
5. Background story. +1. It was really good this time. Not only the Reiko stories we got in the beginning, but Natsume's background just felt so much in place. The 3rd season is Flawless when it comes to this.
6. Storyline. +1. Hm, I'm not really sure if I should call it storyline but it was good. Both Natsume/Taki/Tanuma's advance in their characters and the Matoba story were great in my opinion.
7. Ending. +1. I think I didn't score well this part in the last two seasons, but now it was just great. We see Natsume having real friends, and once again - how well has he advanced when it comes to his character. Same goes for Tanuma and Taki, of course. This ending almost makes me cry. I can easily see this season as the last one, but I don't mind another one for sure!
8. Fight scenes.
9. Drama. +1. Even just the story about the neko spirit scores a point here for me. It was nicely done in my opinion.
10. Overall affect. +1. There's something interesting - when I started watching the Natsume series, I accidentally strated from season 3, watching 4 episodes of it. Then I watched season 1 and 2 and even tho I liked them too, I couldn't find them as good as what I've seen in just 4 episodes. Natsume Yuujinchou San was great at all the time, not a single episode felt wasted(except maybe for the first one, I didn't really liked him when I watched him as the first episode from the series, but now I don't see it as bad). I actually feel a little bid bad about the fact that it ended =
Bonus(extra) point for:... +1. Natori, and the Matoba story. These, combined with Taki, made season 2 for me, and seeing this, kind of background, storyline to show up again was just great. I even expected more of it, like a whole arc, but I guess that's what the 4th season is for.

Overall score: 10/10. The best season so far. I think it kinda deserves the place it has in the MAL-ranking.
Oct 7, 2012 6:09 AM
Mar 2012
Wonderful, feel-good episode. Great as the last one of a season.
Oct 8, 2012 10:52 AM

Nov 2008
I feel happy for Natsume. 8/10 for this season!
Nov 3, 2012 9:45 AM

Feb 2011
Nice series as always . 9/10
Jan 6, 2013 9:43 PM

Nov 2011
A very pleasant series to with the conclusion of this finale. 8/10 for my final score.

P.S. LOL @ Taki adoring Madara or any other cute creature.
Apr 6, 2013 5:58 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
What a perfect and light-hearted, yet also touching ending! I love how Natsume plays shadow tag with all the youkai, and having fun. Earlier in the episode when he and his friends were talking about what they did as children, the girl mentioned shadow tag. In a way, it was like Natsume being a child again, playing with youkai without a care in the world until they were all extremely tired. I love how Hinoe tells him that because they like Natsume, they will all go to help him if he ever needs them ;_; beautiful relationship with the youkai. What made me tear up was the last part, where you see Natsume with the youkai in the background, and then a few seconds later, there were no longer visible. It seems as if he was all alone, when he really wasn't. I don't know why, it just made me cry. But nevertheless, it was nice how the season ended with Natsume realizing the importance of both youkai and human friends. (Oh yeah, I just realized how in this season, there were barely any name-returning scenes ^^)
May 27, 2013 10:30 PM

Feb 2013
What a feel good episode. Loved it.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jun 18, 2013 11:58 AM
Jul 2012
Very nice upbeat ending for great show. Misuzu & Madara overkill in shadow tag was hilarious as hell.
JinsabelFeb 1, 2018 3:21 PM
Sep 2, 2013 5:20 PM

Dec 2011
Lol Nyanko-sensei plays too rough. Overall I enjoyed this season better than the other two. 9/10

Sep 18, 2013 8:09 AM

Apr 2009
That was a really nice, warm and sweet. Definitely better than the previous seasons, althouhg I'm not saying I disliked them.

Also... "Oh, no. I'm having fun"... it killed me XD Nyanko-sensei is cool *.*
Oct 18, 2013 2:05 PM

Aug 2012
All final episodes of NY from S1 till S3 are definitely great and heartwarming. From the shrine festival and fireworks in 1st season, cherry blossom/sakura viewing or hanami in 2nd season, and now a party with all his youkai friends. Each episode felt special and gave me this warm and fuzzy feelings :D

2nd season's finale was slightly different because Reiko made an appearance inside Natsume's room. I just wished that she also appeared in this episode, but i was glad that at least Natsume mentioned her.

a 9/10 from me. Needs more Taki and Reiko though XD

now i'm gonna watch S4~ <3

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Dec 22, 2013 11:40 PM

Jun 2012
Aw, loved the episode. Can't wait to start next season!

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Dec 29, 2013 9:09 PM

May 2012
A pretty loose ending I must say and well it's good that the series has another season as even though this is a perfect ending it still feels lacking for a reason so either way let's see what the second season has to offer us!
Jan 13, 2014 6:21 PM

Jul 2013
RafaelDeJongh said:
A pretty loose ending I must say and well it's good that the series has another season as even though this is a perfect ending it still feels lacking for a reason so either way let's see what the second season has to offer us!

Second season? I think you're missing a couple of seasons.

This season was a little better for me than the previous 2, but still a 9/10
Party with all his Youkai friends, and then hanging out with his human ones~
LOL the shadow tag game. funny as.
Jan 28, 2014 5:08 AM

Jan 2013
I really like anime with friendship theme. It's so much fun to watch and heart-warming :).

I'm so glad that Natsume found his Youkai friends and Human friends. I just wished that one day, Natsume will tell his secret with Kitamoto and Nishimura so that they can understand him more and get closer to him.

Season 4 here I am!
Feb 14, 2014 11:59 PM

Aug 2013
Youkai on shadow tag: "Humans are terrifying creatures" lmao! Natsume's really lucky that he has good friends on both youkai and human sides.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 30, 2014 7:39 AM

Aug 2013
Loved it! There were so much beautiful moments.
I will take a break before next season. I need it.

9 or 10/10 (I don't know it yet.)
I don't like the terms "good person" or "bad person" because it's impossible to be entirely good to everyone or entirely bad to everyone.
To some, you are a good person, while to others, you are a bad person. ~Armin (Shingeki no Kyojin)

Jul 19, 2014 5:06 AM

Dec 2012
That had to be the wildest game of tag I've seen, it's been a while since this show has made me laugh that hard. I really like the ending where the youkai party sends him off to his human friends. That scene helped to reinforce the main theme of this season, which is Natsume finding friends among both humans and youkai who accept him and help him break out his comfort zone as they help to shoulder some of his woes (such as Taki offering help with youkai and Tanuma wanting Natsume to open up to him more about the youkai). This season was once again filled with all kinds of adventures that were heartwarming, sweet, exciting, and beautiful in their simplicity. I also like how each season of Natsume Yuujinchou shows a steady transition and growth of Natsume's sentiments towards youkai and humans.

A solid 9/10, looking forward to ending my summer with Shi.
Oct 18, 2014 2:49 PM

Sep 2014
Yes, we get to see Taki blush. Mmm

Overall an enjoyable season, but not as good as zoku.
Nov 3, 2014 4:22 PM

Oct 2013
Very nice season. Finally we got to see some things from Natsume's past :) But I hope we'll get to see more in the next one.
Dec 21, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
i really like this anime, now gonna watch the fourth season :3
Jan 22, 2015 6:56 AM

Oct 2013
What a good way to end the 3rd season, i feel so happy by seeing Natsume playing with those Youkais, he has a lot of friends now and in the end Hinoe says "we will protect you" ahh i can feel the warmth from her words, looking foward for the next season

Overall score 10/10 ♥
Feb 13, 2015 10:40 PM

Apr 2014
Nice to see how he has changed from a kid, socially). Great episode.. Can't wait to start watching the next series.
Aug 23, 2015 2:33 AM

Sep 2014
Nice Ending of another Great Season.

I would be more happy if Kogitsune came into the party as well.

But Anyway it was a sweet Episode.
Nov 18, 2015 1:16 AM

Feb 2013
Favorite season so far!!!

On to season 4!

9/10
Dec 18, 2015 1:54 PM

May 2008
My gosh last episode, I went thought the whole series in a day and can't believe how quick it went by and want more!!!!

Nice touch all the nice youkai has nice for Natsume, not all of them are evil and I like it how we saw all the close ones in this episode especially mentioning that he can call upon them when needed.

Such a great series which makes me want to start the manga. I shall start the next one!
Apr 12, 2016 3:10 PM

Oct 2015
Best finale for me yet. Loved that ending with that big friendship theme :)
Apr 13, 2016 3:15 PM

Sep 2009
This was definitely a good, heartwarming finale to the season. I liked Natsume's confession at the end that they were both irreplaceable.

For me it's seasons 3 > 1 > 2. I really appreciated the development of Natsume's backstory.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Apr 22, 2016 12:56 AM

Jul 2012
Easily the best season although I was only impressed with half of the episodes. The rest didn't leave any impact on me, as usual. I really liked this season because we got to dig into Natsume's emotions and backstory. As my friend says, "his insecurities".

Going to watch s4 soon, with Mirana~
May 27, 2016 2:13 PM

Jul 2012
I'd say episodes 1, 4 and 13 were the best ones this season. Especially episodes 1 and 4. They were something special.
Jun 9, 2016 10:19 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Friends! Friends? and more Friends !?

--
¡Amigos! ¿Amigos? y más ¡¿Amigos!?
Jun 16, 2016 5:01 AM

Nov 2011
Episode valuable in terms of history and growth of Natsume, now the protagonist has fully accepted its peculiarities and the world opens his eyes, embracing such a breadth of thought and unimaginable experience. Really sad and sweet this episode, the maturity of Natsume is significant when compared with the beginning. Also good third series, now I have to start immediately with the fourth season.

My vote is 8/10.
Aug 5, 2016 1:36 AM

Oct 2015
takashi has grown and now is not alone. Tanuma was given a fair appearance along with takashis other friends. HE has built relationships of both youkai and humans judging by the party the youkais threw for him. Cant wait for graduation.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 22, 2016 9:38 AM

Oct 2016
Beautiful series. I give 9/10
Nyako Sensai is my most favourite ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2016 5:40 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
sword123 said:

For me it's seasons 3 > 1 > 2. I really appreciated the development of Natsume's backstory.

2>3>1 for me so far, 2 had the most profound episodes, while S3 only had half, almost every episode from S2 touched me deeply.

S3 was still a great time. Will give this series sometime, and then later on watch S4.

8.7/10 for this one.
Nov 14, 2016 9:38 PM
May 2014
3>1=2 for me.
I was a tad disappointed with 1 and 2, given the praise the show gets, because natsume's development was so slow. S3 addressed that, I am happy. I choked up in the last ep of S3.
somewhere between 8-9/10 for this season
Jan 23, 2017 12:18 AM

Mar 2012
I find this season to be the weakest of the 3. The only Yokai related story that really stood out this season was the one where he met the Yokai that always played harmless tricks on him when he was a kid. There was also more attention on his classmates who, to be honest, are not that interesting at all. Not counting Taki or Tanuma of course.

The first season is definitely my favorite one. There were multiple episodes that made you feel something due to their bittersweetness. The stories were told in a manner that you actually cared about the situation of the Yokai rather than it ending up feeling cheesy. At least that's how it felt for me.

I will say though, that shot at the end of this episode where they showed Natsume by himself since his friends couldn't see the Yokai was pretty good.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 4, 2011

152 by APolygons2 »»
Apr 23, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 22, 2011

81 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 5, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 25, 2011

198 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 4, 4:59 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2011

114 by Pockycrusader »»
Sep 27, 2023 5:47 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2011

81 by dio9_by »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.