Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2008 7:02 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
got a lot of background lavie and claus, honestly i had been assuming that they were siblings until last episode when claus made a distinction between their fathers and even that i thought might just be a typo.

in the end tho, it kinda felt like a filler episode.
Jul 22, 2008 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
I didn't mind this filler episode, getting background info on Lavie and Claus was a good thing. Their hometown destroyed??
Dec 14, 2008 11:47 PM

Feb 2008
The episode was ok but the recap flashback thingy was annoying as hell.
Apr 15, 2010 4:31 AM

Nov 2009
Usually i don't like fillers but this one was really good somehow.
Jan 10, 2011 7:51 PM
Oct 2008
I liked the artistic use of editing, both picture and sound, in this episode that provided a lot of background stuff.

Also, I watched the first 6 episodes on netflix with english dub--just awful. The japanese voice actors are so much better, particularly for Lavie and Dio.
Feb 10, 2011 7:38 AM

Sep 2009
Shetland likes Lavie a lot no? XD
Alex... >///<
Dec 21, 2011 9:45 AM

May 2010
Somehow I really like this flashback episode. Got some giggles out of it. :D
Jan 15, 2012 12:07 AM

Aug 2010
I liked this episode. Was very informative regarding Claus' and Lavie's past.
Jan 28, 2012 11:55 PM

Jan 2008
Well done filler episode. I look forward to how the rest of this show plays out.
Darkmage530Jan 28, 2012 11:58 PM
Feb 28, 2012 4:02 PM

Jul 2010
THEY WERE SO CUTE. *-*

Amazing episode. I loved it so much. So so so so much. Even though part of it was recap, it was still very enjoyable.
I feel so bad for them. They had hard lives but they just kept going on and working.

Alex was nice for helping Lavie. Was kinda surprised about that though o.O

Ending kind of blew me away. I really enjoyed that little town, and the thought of it being destroyed is hard.

I really want to watch next episode, but can't :/ Tomorrow it is.

5/5

Oh, and in regards to someone who was dissing the english dub earlier, I am watching it now and I really enjoy it. It's very natural and Lavie's voice is actually one that I enjoy a lot. I think it's just because you already have an established opinion, since you watched the sub first. But personally, I prefer the dub :)
Mar 29, 2012 10:56 AM

Apr 2011
If you guys paid attention during the flashback, Alex was a pilot and a teammate with Lavie/Claus dad's. Alex turned the way he is now because of their fathers death and his lover.

I guess that small toy goat was important somehow afterall (Lavie x Alex x Al connection).

lol@ Mullen wanting to hug Lavie and maybe score a free grab! :D
Jan 17, 2013 5:31 PM

Jun 2012
nice episode, now i understand a bit more of the story
Feb 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Jan 2012
Interesting backstory.

Dec 7, 2013 12:39 PM

May 2012
Oh wow what a great episode with an interesting backstory and well they were able to find them and bring them back to the ship! But now that the news is out about their town I'm sure they'll return to have a look!
Jan 2, 2014 7:00 PM

Jul 2011
Meh I really liked this episode, part of it made me really sad seeing lavi and claus's life together and the whole backstory on them was awesome. This was a great episode and needed overall
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2014 11:47 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode. It's nice to see Claus and Lavie's backstory as well as their fathers' tale. I didn't expect Alex to be their fathers' friend. I wonder if he knows who the kids are.

Still can't make sense of Dio. Is he an enemy or a friend?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 26, 2015 10:23 AM

Oct 2014
That lever looked awfully like a dick
Oct 21, 2015 7:43 PM

Jun 2014
okay.. Claus is back on the Silvana, but they didnt explain how the Silvana survived that plunge.
Jan 30, 2016 3:46 PM

Aug 2012
I enjoy this anime too much
See you on the next flight
Oct 11, 2016 11:56 AM
Sep 2009
So what the hell happened at the end of last episode?
Jun 22, 2017 6:03 AM

Jun 2013
It was fine but I feel like the information that was new could have been told in shorter flashbacks, without taking up a whole episode.

It annoys me that neither of the kids or their fathers ever considered that this overspecialization could be a bad idea. Why not train both of them for both roles? If they had both learned how to fly a vanship, and Claus had just turned to be much better, it would be a lot more believable and at least it wouldn't be so arbitrary and short sighted. For example, hypothetically, what if Claus broke his arm, which would make him incapable of flying the vanship but he could still navigate just fine with one arm? Would it not make more sense if Lavie could still fly the two of them, at least if there were an emergency? It would have absolutely zero downsides.

Maybe I'm just bothered by the fact that everything seems to revolve around Claus, even though he is one of the least charismatic and interesting characters here. Or maybe I'm salty because Lavie turned out to be of so little importance, i.e. the whole story so far could have be told without her just fine. She's a main character in name only.
LeeTailorJun 22, 2017 6:20 AM
Apr 25, 2018 6:58 PM

Aug 2014
Lavi is awesome and so cute.

Alex being a friend of their Dad's and the one to give her the stuffed goat is a surprise. I guess that is why he tolerated them on his ship? He has to know who they are by their names and the stuffed goat.
Nov 30, 2020 2:42 AM

May 2020
We finally get a backstory about our protagonists and their situation... halfway through the show. Alex being related to them in some way was informative but I always suspected that, seeing as how Claus seemed way too comfortable calling him Alex.

All in all, they should've done this a few episodes back, not after a very serious episode like episode 12 was. Lavie was very annoying at the start but she did grow on me over time.
May 22, 2021 5:32 AM

Jun 2016
Lavie, still unconscious from the Silvana/Urbanus fight, dreams about her and Claus' dads. Claus and Tatiana get picked up by Dio and Alistair

There were quite a few bits in this episode that made the characters actions, up to this point, make sense. Maybe a little too late tho, honestly.

Claus and Lavie lost everything but still dreamed about being in the sky. Very sad stuff here.

Lavie's reaction to Tatiana being in Claus' overalls was certainly something, lol.

Dec 9, 2021 3:48 PM

Jun 2010
Seeing that the highlands around the town are clearly artificial was a shock. They're a shell standing on girders. Since this is a fantasy setting maybe the whole world is artificial? The Guild has a much greater level of technology than the other groups and the whole flying battleship thing is pretty incredible to begin with.
Nov 15, 2022 10:52 AM

Aug 2019
Awesome episode! We got to learn more about Claus and Lavie's backstory and what happened to their parents, as well as some foreshadowing for Alex's past! I think this was a pretty cool episode, but are we not going to talk about what happened to that Dissith girl or that rocket that fell to the surface? I feel like I missed something. Suddenly that girl is nowhere to be seen, and Claus and Tatiana were back at their vanship. What the heck happened?
Nov 18, 2022 1:44 PM

Dec 2018
into the trash it goes. awful episode. waste of time, no one cares, boring, just a god awful waste of 20 minutes. there was like 10 seconds in the entire damn thing that actually fricking mattered. episode should never have existed.
Jan 26, 2023 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
The coincidences are becoming too conspicuous. "Lavie and Klaus' fathers went to the grand stream and saw that huge mysterious Exile object, and ALSO Alex Ross was a friend of their parents, and ALSO Alex Ross went on to amass considerable power and resources to get his own super airship, and ALSO hired a messenger that just so HAPPENED to bump into Klaus and Lavie and entrust them to finish his job and get the package to Alex, and Claus ALSO became the fixation of a guild pilot and ALSO the princess of the Empire was actually serving as Alex's second in command the entire time. That isn't to say that other stories also don't have coincidences but I felt that they were more seamlessly welded together.
Valyrian1124Jan 26, 2023 12:58 PM
Feb 10, 2023 12:35 AM
Jul 2021
This is one of the best episodes so far, and this right here people is how you do a recap/filler episode!

Wait a minute, you are telling me that both Claus and Lavie survived all alone, without any help from the age of six/seven? WOW, simply wow!

That right there raises a lot of questions! Like how did two very small kids managed to do it? C'mon give us a break! I know it's an anime, not real et cetera but c'mon a little bit of common sense here people. There is no way in hell that two six/seven years old survived all alone in that kind of brutal society we see on screen.

And yes both Claus and Lavie were so frickin' cute!
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Jan 14, 6:43 PM

Mar 2007
So Claus and Lavie aren't siblings just neighbor kids whose dads used to fly together until they died and now the kids have to survive while keeping their dream of flying alive. At least until Lavie decided being a mechanic is her calling after experiencing a red out while flying in a war situation. Don't blame her at all.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

38 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 28, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

21 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 28, 4:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

64 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 24, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Jul 12, 2008

104 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.