Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 11, 2013 2:38 AM

Oct 2009
Finally got around to watching this.
Started out great with pretty good battles, but then it turned into a Naruto movie story-ish thingy. Scratch that! Even Naruto movies are better >.<! I didn't care about any of the characters, i was just think "let them die and go..." the entire time :/ well except Miranda she was hot :(..
Pretty disappointing, first half was pretty enjoyable second not so much..
Also i expected much better animation, the battle animation was good but the rest was pretty plain.

6/10
AozureJul 11, 2013 2:50 AM
Jul 29, 2013 4:08 AM

Jul 2011
It's an ok movie. Too many characters (winry, mustang and company) seemed to be forced in there for little to no conceivable reason. Hell, Mustang doesn't even use alchemy on screen, but merely gets a cutback showing a charred chimera.

Unfortunately in my case by the end of this movie I wasn't disappointed per se, but I wasn't moved either. I found myself overall not caring about majority of the characters, for instance the fake Ashley kills Miranda, but I had no attachment to Miranda so this was not a pivotal moment. The fake Ashley dies, however there was not enough build up for me to harbor resentful feelings or something that would make me rejoice at his death. The most meaningful death for me was....Pedro....a filler character who is in the movie for 3 maybe 4 minutes. All in all I just didn't feel attached to any of the 'new' characters and since Ed/Al were not the real focus of the movie I just found myself not caring.

The part that actually bugs me though is how they basically state they will sacrafice their own lives for the philosopher stone. Admirable, this shows they are willing to give up their own lives for future generations freedom. Yet, when they go to make the stone, there are only 4 characters there. 2 of which you know beforehand are not going to die. It becomes a moot point as the fake Ashley is revealed, but it just didn't come off as some altruistic moment prior to that as I felt it could have been portrayed, considering they knew beforehand what it required.

On a plus side, peeling off a dude's face and using it as your own was a nice twist. I had already pinned Ashley as being the villain, but not in that way. Of course once it was revealed he was a fake, figuring out the real one was alive and who it was....was pretty obvious.

All in all found the movie ok. It wasn't bad, but it's not memorable either. Something I wouldn't watch again and while I don't necessarily regret watching it, since it is FMA I did have much higher expectations. Giving it a 5/10 and will probably have forgotten it within the week.

Sep 30, 2013 5:07 AM

May 2012
03:53 so far so bad, the direction

04:59 "it wasn't me" LOL

22:50 the shock of headless armor + the fall. LOOOL

27:09 Winry <3

01:15:22 Y U NO grab the mountains?

01:36:17 how did her bro manage to remain standing for so long?

01:37:32 i'm sure she'd lose some of her limbs/organs

01:43:20 hyuu hyuu Arukun

01:44:55 so, her bro lost his left arm

4/10. What a disappointment. It's like one of those crappy Naruto movies.
FMA Shamballa movie was a 10/10 masterpiece. What're you doing, bones?
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Nov 2, 2013 9:41 PM

Nov 2011
>I am the Full Metal Alchemist
Ah I just love that quote.

So far, I liked the beginning of the movie especially with that rogue alchemist on the loose. I loved the scenes on the train as well. Being popular must be tough for Edward lol.

Glad to see most of the main characters in this like Winry, Mustang, Riza, etc. That Wolf-Chimera picked the wrong fight tbh in this movie. No wonder he bit the dust. I really liked Alphonse and Julia's friendship in this movie though. I never trusted that other alchemist in the beginning oop, it proves itself right. Julia looks like she's on meth or something after solving that gem though. Part of me thinks she looks badass, part of me thinks she looks evil.

Great action and OST. Be sure to watch this with headphones ON.

Overall: 7/10. Story needs serious improvement tbh.

Oh and Alphonse is right. Julia got prettier :3
Nov 2, 2013 10:52 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty good movie. Enjoyed it even though it was extremely predictable. Nice to see the characters again, though the character designs were a little weird. I really liked the OST for this movie.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Mar 21, 2014 11:56 PM

May 2012
Yeah there was way too much focus on Julia and Ashley. I get that they needed to be developed but you watch a FMA movie to see the Elric brothers, Mustang(who bothered leaving his office, why?) and all the other characters we're fond of. And despite all the time focused on her, I didn't become particularly interested in Julia. The plot was alright but other than the villain pretending to be the brother, nothing was very memorable. The new art style was weird but it wasn't so off-putting that I'd drop the score because of it. The fights were also surprisingly good.

Might watch again one day but wouldn't buy it. 7/10
Apr 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
Boring and forgettable.

The lowest point for FMA (anime) .
I'm too old for this sh**t.
May 4, 2014 4:40 AM

Jul 2013
the sound effects are too damn loud and the characters voices are too damn soft and low to be able to hear well it just might be because of the player but anyway it was good but I can't shake off the feeling that I've just wasted time..

6/10
Sep 5, 2014 12:47 PM
Nov 2013
I feel like when they made this movie they were in a bad mood or something , this movie is very bad.
Sep 27, 2014 7:58 PM

Jan 2014
Some pretty good twists. Now on to the others.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 17, 2014 2:07 AM

Dec 2012
A very good stand alone movie. Throughout, the action is present.
Nice to see again Ed & Al with some perfect sentence : I am the Full Metal Alchemist.
The story is interesting but too focused on new characters. I'd have liked to see more of Roy. Edward & Al seem to be littles alchimists compared to the philosopher's stone.

But it was a nice movie, I really appreciated to watch a movie on this universe.
Dec 29, 2014 8:13 PM

Jan 2012
Well that was pretty fun. I figured out the guy in the mask musta been her real brother, and that the earring plot point would come up, only after it was revealed that the other guy was the imposter(though before mask guy was actually revealed as her brother)...which admittedly I probably shoulda realized sooner with the neck scars and whatnot. :D I did like that the real brother lived and got his face back, though I guess he was blatantly evil and they don't get to stay together in the end, I just figured for sure he'd die so it was nice that I was wrong on that. The Al love interest angle felt forced...well what little of it there was anyway, but I feel like that's a minor complaint. I thought the animation/character designs had their good and bad. I thought they were to the film's advantage during the heavy action scenes as they looked really pleasing to my eye, very fluid, but during the slower scenes I thought it was to the film's detriment as they looked more distorted/oddly drawn than I'd liked. There was alot of death and sad things but for whatever reason I'm left with a lighthearted feel, it was just a fun watch as I said. Nothing spectacular, but well I enjoyed it enough. 7/10
Jan 2, 2015 12:15 PM
May 2012
The backgrounds looks good, but the characters are kinda off. I watched this on 1080p, too. Julia is hot, though :3
Their place would look ugly in real life, but in Anime form it just looks cozy to me. Poor people of Milos, though, but I am glad they got their freedom.
I knew that he wasn't her brother the moment I saw his scar, was sure during that earring scene, and was so sure when they showed that guy with weird mask (it's obvious that it's her real brother, too). Al liking Julia at the end came outta nowhere.
Well, this is a pretty enjoyable movie. Though, I would have wanted to see the original characters, but oh well. Both of the songs are nice, too. Well, time to watch this movie's special next. Thank you ^^
Apr 13, 2015 12:23 AM

Aug 2012
In the middle of the movie, I just wanted Julia and the brother to die; to make it more interesting ( I'm not hating on them. It's just for making this movie better) But oh well, they survived =/
I'll give this 7/10
May 4, 2015 5:38 AM

Apr 2013
Meh, pretty cliche movie. Most of it was boring, then some good action parts and a boring end.
May 11, 2015 1:12 AM

Jul 2008
I thought it was a good movie. Yes its filler, but if you enjoy it then so much the better. I do kinda want to know what became of Milos though.

Boy that Atlas though, what a total creep of a monster.
Jun 30, 2015 12:11 PM

Mar 2014
Is this supposed to follow the story after Brotherhood? Is it canon? Should I watch it?
Jul 6, 2015 1:37 AM

Aug 2012
jreginald said:
Is this supposed to follow the story after Brotherhood? Is it canon? Should I watch it?

Nope.
If you have nothing to do, then yeah watch it.
Jul 8, 2015 5:42 PM

Mar 2014
M00ner said:
jreginald said:

Nope.
If you have nothing to do, then yeah watch it.

Sweet, thanks for the reply.
Sep 13, 2015 6:18 AM

Jul 2009
Very good, I really liked Julia, she was nice and worked hard to save everyone, her brother (fake one or real one) were a pain.
Oct 10, 2015 6:00 PM

Aug 2014
Not gonna lie, this was pretty boring.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 31, 2015 2:08 PM
Jul 2015
Anyone know where I can watch the specials?
Dec 14, 2015 4:56 PM
Oct 2014
Valaskjalf said:
It was ok. Still don't understand why Julia lost her leg despite her using the philosopher stone but I guess they wanted to make it kinda dramatic to prove a point I suppose ?

I agree. The "Sanguine Star" was suppose to be a type of Philospher stone. As a result, when Julia performed that transmutation, she shouldn't have lost her leg. The stone is something that is suppose to prevent that. What Julia did to save her brother would probably be similar to the objective of Al and Ed getting their bodies back. Like, IF Al or Ed had actually used a Philospher stone to get their bodies back, they wouldn't exactly lose anything. The same would've applied to Julia.

In addition, while Julia's brother was close to death I actually wouldn't considered it the same as "human transmutation" or was even required to save him. I would've considered Julia's brother's case a serious medical situation that could've been fixed with the "medicinals" forms of alchemy. Such a method with the Saguine Star would've been enough save him without having to sacrifice anything.

An example is how Dr. Marcoh used a Philosopher stone and his knowledge on medic alchemy to heal the Lion guy, Heinkel. A minor example was how Ed was able to partially heal himself after his battle with Kimblee. And there was the Golden tooth Doctor on how he said he could've saved Riza (who was also closed to death at the time) using his medical knowledge and the Philosopher Stone (considering his nature, he had no fear doing it because of he wouldn't lose anything since he had a Philosopher Stone).

The only logic I can see behind how Julia lost her leg to save her brother despite having the Sanguine Star is how the Star is a "type of a Philospher Stone" not the same as a original one. In addition, they did mention that the Sanguine Star functions a bit differently like how it said to actually consume the soul of the user. Although I can't fully grasp an entire theory, I presume these factors I mentioned are among the reasons as how Julia would lose her leg to save her brother, despite having a Sanguine Star and how a human transmutation would've been required to save him (since he also had one and it was warping/consuming his soul).
bkim999Dec 14, 2015 5:00 PM
Jun 5, 2016 4:28 AM
Jan 2008
bkim999 said:
Valaskjalf said:
It was ok. Still don't understand why Julia lost her leg despite her using the philosopher stone but I guess they wanted to make it kinda dramatic to prove a point I suppose ?

I agree. The "Sanguine Star" was suppose to be a type of Philospher stone. As a result, when Julia performed that transmutation, she shouldn't have lost her leg. The stone is something that is suppose to prevent that. What Julia did to save her brother would probably be similar to the objective of Al and Ed getting their bodies back. Like, IF Al or Ed had actually used a Philospher stone to get their bodies back, they wouldn't exactly lose anything. The same would've applied to Julia.

Noticed this on the first forum page:
RockerXD said:
Wasn't there mentioning of medical alchemy in Brotherhood, and when ed was injured(can't remember when) he shortened his life time to heal a lethal wound iirc

Thanks to the stones, Julia didn't have to shorten her own lifespan, plus she wanted to give his face and skin back. The stones had been used quite a lot, too, and the new stone wasn't even a very powerful one (maybe too little blood for it?). Even blocking the lava seemed to be hard.
Besides, I don't think it was all the brother's neurological problems there, it was more likely to be just the stone he'd swallowed. So if she wanted to change that in her brother, she'd have to get the stone out of him. Do medic alchemists even treat mental patients?

And my answer to the original question: I enjoyed it a lot, except for the last Al + Julia thing. But maybe it wasn't love, maybe it was just a little deeper relationship that was developed under imprisonment etc. when Ed wasn't there.
FlaronaJun 5, 2016 4:46 AM

Am I allowed to post without an avatar?
Aug 23, 2016 2:36 AM

Jun 2007
A few things that didn't make sense but I will just let it pass.
However, I didn't quite liked getting a happy ending since it seems too perfect to be believable.
How the stone was used in the fight was also not a big plus for me either.
VAs and animation at the beginning gave a bit of a shock but I quickly got over it because I did enjoy the beginning (up until the stone was swallowed).
Action was good.
Always love learning about what's going on with other countries.
Quite like the characters from village, Julia for the most part, and the shocking revelations regarding her brother kept up the surprise.
Sad that Mustand + Co and Winry played little to unneeded roles... Was really waiting for at least one attack from Mustang and seeing Winry's influence the village's automail.

Overall, I really liked the movie but the after Julia swallowed the stone it somewhat went downhill for me.
Dec 8, 2016 11:11 PM

Jan 2012
They have a plethora of characters to choose from and they chose to disregard all of them and create new ones instead.

Lost my interest after the train scene.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 3, 2017 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
Why didnt officer Atlas just cut of Julia's skin if he had no use for her anyway?
Would have been actually nice if AL got back for her but it seems he got May at the end of Brotherhood.
Also I loved how similar the underground city scene was compared to 2003's, the city used for a philosophers stone hidden under the real city.

Overall the film was alright, nothing special unfortunately.
Animation / artstyle was also mediocre compared to Brotherhood, hell even 2003.
Shame that Mustang and Hawkeye and some of the other alchemists from the series pretty much didn't even need to be in the film.

Overall 7/10, not bad nor great.
Jul 22, 2017 10:57 AM

Dec 2015
For an action movie, it was too long for its sake, no matter how well made and animated it was (especially in the said action scenes). The redesign to fit the more action-focused nature of the movie and its animation was pretty effective (though my personal preference is still for the 2011 "manga" style). Except background characters who had either strange bodies or features.
The will to expand over a lesser known part of the geopolitics of Amestris was great, it was sadly spoiled by using it only to showcase things we had already seen developed previously. Between the many recycled points from the manga and the first animated series, nothing new came out.
A good thing was to focus on the new characters since the film tells their story above anything else On the other hand, I didn't found the many parallels established that useful. Maaya Sakamoto was quite good as the heroin.
Various pretty stupid things happened here and there (just how many liters of blood came out of two single bodies to cover the whole circulation system and draw the form?! why the hell was the main girl needed alive all this time? etc) but the biggest was the excuse to trigger the biggest action scene of the movie. The spectacular finale happened only thanks to an invention disregarding the system established in the main story. At least, it was to give birth to some good over-the-top action sequence.

Finally, the piece of fan-service that were the main story secondary characters dropped in the movie felt totally out-of-place. Mustang over the phone would have been plenty enough.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 6/10 Maybe I'm too forgiving for the illogicality but it's an action piece, not a brainstorming investigation.

PS: nice to hear L'Arc-en-Ciel again on this brand.
Rei_IIIJul 22, 2017 11:29 AM
Mar 10, 2019 5:08 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
did enjoy enough.

1. Julia with stone was quite hot.
2. 3D transmutation circle was neat
3. Action was quite fun

story was quite random IMO ... characters felt as well kind of a "hey, I'm here now. Do that, ey! New guy here now!, ey! ey! ey! stuff is happening"

Moral of the story. Story was pretty average and random. Rest was good.
May 12, 2019 2:53 PM

Jun 2009
Not really an issue but since I just finished rewatching Brotherhood and came directly to the movie, the new animation style kinda put me off guard. Movie itself is very mediocre imo, the plot with Julia and her brother wasn't particularly interesting for me. It really could just be its own anime without attaching the FMA tag to it.

Also the original FMA characters didn't really contribute much to the plot? Ed and Al were honestly just there to defeat the villain thats it. And idk why they even brought Mustang, Hawkeye, and Winry to Creta.

Overall, decent movie. 7/10 for the amazing scenery art and animation.

Dec 20, 2019 9:44 PM

Nov 2019
I loooooooove this beautiful masterpiece of an anime movie.
10/10!!!
Apr 8, 2020 2:33 PM

Jul 2017
Huge disappointment. Well, I knew it wasn't going to be very good or decent in the first place, but it turned out to be even worse. Nice.

Hayamin's review sums up the movie perfectly.
Apr 28, 2020 12:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Storyline clearly needed some working, but it was a great watch nonetheless! It's been about two to three years since I binged the two tv series and hence a pleasure to be back to this world and series.

Edward is popular as ever xD and it's nice to see the brothers getting a lot of shining moments together. Animation was surprisingly fabulous during the action scenes and the BGM on point, certainly made this some watch alone for these company as such.

I'm not going to get into the meat of things here with all the Alchemy developments and whatnot, it was lacking but I'll just leave it there. Second half as such was a bit of a mess as a result.

Julia turned out to be a fairly good character in the end and I really enjoyed some of the moments between Alphonse and her. "You've become prettier." - Now that's my boy, lol.

Got to say, the fact that Julia's brother managed to get away effortlessly like that is a biggest puzzling matter for me by far.

Not enough Mustang and Armstrong action...

Anyway, I'll settle with a 7/10 for this. If I may be so forward, it's kind of like Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch if you get my drift.

I'll definitely give the Brotherhood a rewatch someday and maybe some of the bits from here will be a little more clear then.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 27, 2021 4:50 PM

Apr 2020
Eixy said:
The one thing that I couldn't shake off though was how they just easily threw in some philosopher stones right outta the damn blue. I mean one moment we killed just two peoples for their blood the next we have a philospher's stone hiding away in the city lol what?

Exactly!

The whole show was about how hard and rare philosopher stones are, and how dangerous is it to perform human transmutation.

And now we learn that philosopher stones are just.. laying there in ancient cities and are very easy to get; and that this random girl that can barely do alchemy just resuscitated her brother without loosing anything but a leg. Nice...

This movie just... Shits on the whole anime.
EstebanODDec 27, 2021 4:56 PM
I don't know how signatures work

May 8, 2022 4:17 PM

Sep 2018
My word, that was rather boring an dragged out. 5/10.
Feb 8, 2023 6:49 PM
Aug 2021
Kinda disappointed by the movie itself. It has a good animation but to be honest we dont get much from Alphonse nor Edward. The movie is basically felt like this whole journey isn't about fullmetal alchemist at all. More of a new story with addition of old character and a brand new gimmick to the already existing ones.
Mar 20, 2023 11:35 AM

Nov 2010
1:14:41 Those scenes of him ripping off Julia's clothing were quite kinky. Julia is so sexy, and her armpit is so lickable! Yummy!
At first, I didn't like the animation. It looked inferior compared to the series, but I started to enjoy the show as soon as I got used to it. I love the amount of action, and the story, while it was nothing special, was good enough to keep me hooked.
Julia's fake bro and her real bro are both such assholes. I thought he'd make their life easier when the real one appeared.
8/10
Sep 7, 2023 6:43 PM

Aug 2020
This movie is quite good I might say. Julia is a character that I'd appreciate to see in the main series. All in all, glad I finally watched it after postponing for years.

Sep 13, 2023 2:24 PM

Dec 2009
Notes from 2016:

Sep 14, 2023 2:59 AM
Jan 2022
Maybe I actually don't find there to be any redeeming qualities in this film? I'm really struggling- the reveals were janky I thought to have her brother still be alive even after everything in order to create more conflict because your penultimate big bad wasn't big bad enough felt kinda weak to me - it doesnt help that the animation has a weird uncanny vibe to it- the characters from the main original cast do appear off its very noticeable that ed even has different eyes- so does winry. Plus there was an a touch too much fanservice- it was more subtle however whenever the main character (ginger girl I've forgotten the name of) would eventually show skin often as the result of a male character she was fighting against. IDK didnt like it. And then there's the off animation of the wolves honestly looks really bizarre.
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What do the different Alchemy colours mean?

Calyxx - Oct 10, 2021

11 by Calyxx »»
Oct 24, 2021 9:32 AM

» Is this movie tied to FMA or FMAB?

Xileop - Aug 10, 2020

2 by Pecado_Carnal »»
Mar 14, 2021 1:25 PM

» Sacred Star of Milos specials

Tringle - Oct 31, 2015

0 by Tringle »»
Oct 31, 2015 1:52 PM

» Final Battle...?

-Crys - Mar 19, 2013

1 by SailorKagome »»
Apr 19, 2013 8:38 AM

» When does it air ???i mean its the 2nd of july

FMA-SUKI - Jul 2, 2011

15 by tsubasalover »»
Oct 17, 2011 7:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.