Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Sep 21, 2013 6:33 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, just wow. This series is one hell of a roller coaster ride and indeed a masterpiece. I really didn't have watched that much space operas so i can't really say that this is the best but this is certainly one of the best war epics ever told and one of the greatest anime ever produced. The storytelling is simply great and the characters are simply unforgettable. Yang Wenli, Reinhard Lohengramm, Julian Minci, Walter schenkopp, Poplan, Attenborough, Mariendorf, Frederica, Mittermeyer, Reuntal will always be remembered by me. Of course the other ones would too but these characters made significant impression on me and who the hell can forget Oberstein? There are so many great moments in this anime and that 110 episodes are definitely worth it and every anime fan must watch this before dying or before abandoning this hobby. Granted, this was not perfect. Nothing is. But there are works out there that is close to perfection right?

I really think the ending could have been better though. It leaves me wanting for more and more likely, i simple want an epilogue of what happened to the rest of the characters after that.

Sieg Kaiser Reinhard! Too bad that Yang wenli don't have any catchy cheer but respect for the magician Yang Wenli!
RedgraveGilverSep 21, 2013 7:08 AM
Oct 7, 2013 6:45 AM

Nov 2009
Great ending . . . I loved the series, rare to find a series where the plot twists are actually plot twists . . .

Anyways, I loved the bit at the end where Alec and Mittenmeyer's child met, it kind of made me think that later on they will be just like Sieg and Reinhard of the next generation. Sad that it is over actually . . . But I guess all good things must come to an end.
Oct 23, 2013 8:51 PM

Jul 2011
Argh. It left with somewhat of an open ending. Like with Erwin and everything else...needs an epilogue. D:

I can't say I'm satisfied with the ending... I did feel like it started a slow descend downhill starting a bit before Yang's death (like someone else commented) as well.

What will be memorable for me though, is that the two main characters ended up dying... and not in war. As well as all the more minor characters death. Oberstein's death speech was the best though, hands down. Haha.
MirorinOct 23, 2013 9:02 PM
Oct 31, 2013 2:02 PM

Mar 2008
Personally for me, one of the most satisfying endings I've ever witnessed, particularly in the context of a brilliant, very long series. Even though I loved the series immensely it didn't leave me with that usual empty feeling, which is quite fascinating.

An utterly consummate achievement from the production team. All of my respect!
Nov 11, 2013 5:45 AM

Jan 2008
Completed.
Objectively, a masterpiece. Possibly the best anime ever created, except for the fact that it didn't feel like an anime at all...
Subjectively, TOO FUCKING LONG! Took me nearly a month to watch it whole, goddammit.
Nov 13, 2013 3:45 PM

Nov 2012
kache said:
Completed.
Objectively, a masterpiece. Possibly the best anime ever created, except for the fact that it didn't feel like an anime at all...
Subjectively, TOO FUCKING LONG! Took me nearly a month to watch it whole, goddammit.

While watching it in less than a week I believe I have skipped classes a couple of times. Not that I regret it. It learned more from watching it.
"The Goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!"
Fritz Josef Bittenfield (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Nov 21, 2013 12:53 PM
Apr 2013
I'm pretty speechless. I'm gonna go with: it was the most challenging, yet most rewarding anime I've ever seen. Anything more will inevitably become a wall of text as long as the series itself (But not as ingenious).
Nov 21, 2013 1:03 PM

Mar 2010
This is the ultimate anime. Watching any other anime after that won't be as fun anymore, for some reason.
If you can calm your ADD and appreciate a truly great story (not only by anime standards), it will be worth it. Absolutely flawless if you don't count somehow outdated graphics and don't look TOO MUCH into it (same as Monster, it's a great show if you don't try to abolish it with textbooks about psychology).
I can see the flaws some of you guys posted, but well.. they don't seem to be that bad to me or something, because I was absolutely blown away by the show.
MixonNov 21, 2013 1:15 PM

That's some signature, eh?
Nov 29, 2013 2:36 PM

Aug 2008
Truly a great series especially as it went along. It had little flaws though, and the first couple dozen eps were subpar imo so I can't give this a 10 but I have no problem at all giving a 9. That'll do LoGH, that'll do.
Dec 17, 2013 8:56 AM

Jul 2013
Series was fantastic, I thought the first 15 episodes or so were pretty slow and the first season was good but not great. However it was all necessary world building and from season 2 on kept getting better and better as it went. Probably the best cast of characters I've seen in almost any show, perfectly balanced way of presenting ideas and theologies. Everyone was believably intelligent and capable as well which is always a nice and rare thing to see.
Jan 16, 2014 8:53 PM

Feb 2013
Well, I managed to finish it. Had it not been outer-space sci-fi, I'd have dropped this at the first episode.

That Oberstein. Sneaky to the end, but he certainly was doing what was best for the empire.

Overall score: 4/10 (below average, in every way, though it was about exactly what I expected it to be before I started watching considering it's age)
Jan 21, 2014 8:50 AM

Dec 2012
I doubt we'll ever see another plot with the intricacies this one had in anime. LotGH is the epitome of quality and quantity.It exercised every liberty it had and it was simply brilliant. One episode didn't go by with having so many things happen. Absolutely great and unforgettable characters. 10/10
Jan 30, 2014 10:44 AM

Jun 2009
BurntJelly said:
Well, I managed to finish it. Had it not been outer-space sci-fi, I'd have dropped this at the first episode.

That Oberstein. Sneaky to the end, but he certainly was doing what was best for the empire.

Overall score: 4/10 (below average, in every way, though it was about exactly what I expected it to be before I started watching considering it's age)

lol. care to elaborate?
Feb 4, 2014 7:55 AM

Nov 2012
BurntJelly said:

Oh my God! You wasted your time then?
"The Goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!"
Fritz Josef Bittenfield (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Feb 19, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2013
This was the simply the best anime I have seen, a story with no equal.

Perfect ending to a near perfect anime. I don't even know what to say really, I'm in this amazing feeling of melancholy right now.

Was it worth the first slowish 20 episodes? FUCK YES

It was amazing how emotionally invested I got with the characters in the end. over 100 episodes of continuous character development sure shows. I was just yelling; "PLS DON'T DIE ON ME MAN!!"

I've heard people saying the characters in LoGH are bigger than the anime itself, and I agree.

It definitely had small plotholes here and there, but the sheer size of the story (GALAXY SIZE) more than made up for those. It would be incredibly difficult (Impossible?) to write a story that is this big, INTERESTING and completely without plotholes.

Easy 10/10

The legend ends, and history begins

Sieg Kaiser

Ok I'm out
cupcFeb 20, 2014 12:34 AM
Feb 20, 2014 8:32 AM
Feb 2011
"Make sure to give chicken meat to the dog." Bless you, Oberstein. His peers may not remember him the least bit fondly, and added to that his death is overshadowed by his Kaiser. He truly played the role of the "shadow" to Reinhard's light. Indeed one of the series most significant characters.

I had really deep misgivings about Reinhard dying from an illness with no cure, but: "The Kaiser didn't die of illness. He passed away having used up all his lifetime." Oh man, tears were shed. Died young, yet not too soon. This ending was succinct.
Apr 2, 2014 2:34 AM

Oct 2013
Whoa this went faster than I thought it would. 10/10 what an ending to a perfect series. The Alliance boys wipe out the Terraists who take Oberstein with them LOL could not be more perfect. Julian was a badass avenging Wenli's Death and he'll become a historian as a cherry on the cake. Reinhard passing away with such dignity and restoring democracy. Now to find out what next to watch from this franchise, awesome! Can't wait! *salutes*
Apr 28, 2014 11:17 PM

Mar 2013
Words can not do this show justice. Nothing that I could write would fully capture its essence, its strength, as an Unparalleled Anime Experience.

I do understand why its considered the Best Anime ever by most knowledgeable anime fans who have seen most of the other staples, and find them sorely lacking by comparison.

In a way though I feel bad for anyone who has watched this Masterpiece, since they will never find anything of this caliber again in the Anime medium, no matter how desperately they strive...

The ones I pity the most though are those that have watched this in its entirety and can't appreciate its magnificence. They are beyond hope. Like the swine they are content to wallow in their own filth thinking its exemplary.. That Trash like Code Geass, TTGL, NGE, Mobile Suit Gundam etc can be held by them in higher esteem than the Jewel that is LOGH showcases the folly that is their irredeemable nature.

I'll focus briefly on one of the main strengths of LOGH, namely its unrivaled Characters. Even the most minor characters here have more depth to them, more realism, and more of a likability factor, than main characters in other prominent shows that get substantially more screen time. The main characters are Truly Legendary. Many of us have cared deeply for them throughout the journey, and have felt terrible loss and a void when things went awry for those we loved.

The Loyal Best Friend that all of us wish we had, you were taken from us way too young, and the whole LOGH universe would have benefited from your presence, Siegfried Kircheis. RIP.

The Beacon of Hope, a Prodigal Strategian and Tactician, Loving Husband, Esteemed Mentor, Reliable Friend, my new Eternal Favorite Character replacing Goku, the Undefeated Magician Yang Wenli. RIP.

The most Multifaceted, Intriguing, Proud, Tragic Hero, voiced by the Legendary Wakamoto, welcome to my favorites, Reuenthal. RIP.

The only competent High Ranked member in the FPA military, a True Friend and Supporter to Yang and his fleet, Honorable Bucock. RIP.

The Veteran of Hundreds of Battles, who gave himself and his talents fully to Empire and FPA alike, Admiral Merkatz. RIP.

The only time I could root for Frieza-Sama's voice is when you were there to save the day in melee combat, "Who's That?" Mashengo. RIP.

The man of women's dreams, Loyal to Yang, voicing aloud and taking the hard actions necessary for his master, Invincible Schenkopp. RIP.

The Most Hated, Feared, Enigmatic, Complex, Mysterious, (Indirect) Murderer of Kircheis, yet Ultimately Loyal Servant, Oberstein. RIP.

The man who Conquered and Seized the Universe, and found some Happiness after the Losses of his sister, Best Friend Kircheis, his top Admiral and friend Reuenthal, a true Prince that even Vegeta would be proud of, Reinhardo-Sama. RIP.

Special respect to Mittermeyer, Kessler, Frederica, Hilda, Julian, Attenborough and the rest of the cast that survived, you will be missed.

Honestly 10 favorite characters isn't enough, just from LOGH alone i have 20+ that could make it on with no hesitation. No other anime can ever do that or match that, not even my long time Favorite DB/DBZ with 5 times the total episode count..
SlickDApr 28, 2014 11:28 PM
Apr 29, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2013
SlickDragon said:
Words can not do this show justice. Nothing that I could write would fully capture its essence, its strength, as an Unparalleled Anime Experience.

I do understand why its considered the Best Anime ever by most knowledgeable anime fans who have seen most of the other staples, and find them sorely lacking by comparison.

In a way though I feel bad for anyone who has watched this Masterpiece, since they will never find anything of this caliber again in the Anime medium, no matter how desperately they strive...

The ones I pity the most though are those that have watched this in its entirety and can't appreciate its magnificence. They are beyond hope. Like the swine they are content to wallow in their own filth thinking its exemplary.. That Trash like Code Geass, TTGL, NGE, Mobile Suit Gundam etc can be held by them in higher esteem than the Jewel that is LOGH showcases the folly that is their irredeemable nature.

I'll focus briefly on one of the main strengths of LOGH, namely its unrivaled Characters. Even the most minor characters here have more depth to them, more realism, and more of a likability factor, than main characters in other prominent shows that get substantially more screen time. The main characters are Truly Legendary. Many of us have cared deeply for them throughout the journey, and have felt terrible loss and a void when things went awry for those we loved.

The Loyal Best Friend that all of us wish we had, you were taken from us way too young, and the whole LOGH universe would have benefited from your presence, Siegfried Kircheis. RIP.

The Beacon of Hope, a Prodigal Strategian and Tactician, Loving Husband, Esteemed Mentor, Reliable Friend, my new Eternal Favorite Character replacing Goku, the Undefeated Magician Yang Wenli. RIP.

The most Multifaceted, Intriguing, Proud, Tragic Hero, voiced by the Legendary Wakamoto, welcome to my favorites, Reuenthal. RIP.

The only competent High Ranked member in the FPA military, a True Friend and Supporter to Yang and his fleet, Honorable Bucock. RIP.

The Veteran of Hundreds of Battles, who gave himself and his talents fully to Empire and FPA alike, Admiral Merkatz. RIP.

The only time I could root for Frieza-Sama's voice is when you were there to save the day in melee combat, "Who's That?" Mashengo. RIP.

The man of women's dreams, Loyal to Yang, voicing aloud and taking the hard actions necessary for his master, Invincible Schenkopp. RIP.

The Most Hated, Feared, Enigmatic, Complex, Mysterious, (Indirect) Murderer of Kircheis, yet Ultimately Loyal Servant, Oberstein. RIP.

The man who Conquered and Seized the Universe, and found some Happiness after the Losses of his sister, Best Friend Kircheis, his top Admiral and friend Reuenthal, a true Prince that even Vegeta would be proud of, Reinhardo-Sama. RIP.

Special respect to Mittermeyer, Kessler, Frederica, Hilda, Julian, Attenborough and the rest of the cast that survived, you will be missed.

Honestly 10 favorite characters isn't enough, just from LOGH alone i have 20+ that could make it on with no hesitation. No other anime can ever do that or match that, not even my long time Favorite DB/DBZ with 5 times the total episode count..

Good adjectives mate.
Apr 29, 2014 11:52 AM

Sep 2008
cupc said:
SlickDragon said:

Good adjectives mate.

haha yeah, I liked the way he expressed his opinion.

(especially the part about 'most knowledgeable anime fans')
eyerokApr 29, 2014 1:37 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 1, 2014 12:30 AM

Mar 2013
cupc said:

Good adjectives mate.

koreye said:
cupc said:

haha yeah, I liked the way he expressed his opinion.

(especially the part about 'most knowledgeable anime fans')

Thanks Friends, I appreciated all your comments in the LOGH forums. B/c of you guys (and the other Loyal Fans) advocating LOGH even though its criminally under watched and under valued, people like myselves were exposed to it and give a chance to experience the Masterpiece.
May 1, 2014 4:42 AM

Sep 2008
SlickDragon said:

Thanks Friends, I appreciated all your comments in the LOGH forums. B/c of you guys (and the other Loyal Fans) advocating LOGH even though its criminally under watched and under valued, people like myselves were exposed to it and give a chance to experience the Masterpiece.

I know how you feel mate. I felt the same way after finishing the OVA. I would never have watched this if it had not been for the fans of the show on this site, people like tainteddonut and beatnik. I feel grateful to the fans on MAL.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 6, 2014 3:39 PM

Jan 2008
SlickDragon said:

LOL. +1000 to this.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 14, 2014 10:24 PM
Jul 2012
Ugh one of the worst endings they could have did... Most of it did hit me in the feels but right after his death it was simply unecessary, made it seem like it was pointless, so much for the difference between the legend and history, not feeling like watching more of the same. First season was masterful, then it went downhill with the overreliance on the narrator versus the poetic dialogues between characters that made much better jobs. Then you had freaking diseases, terrorists and shounen-like pride getting in the way of interesting developments, season 1 did lay out an impressive blueprint for things to come but writing really suffered after that. Despite the many problems I woulda gabe it a 9 if the ending was satisfying but nope it end up in a similar tone than the whole freaking series so 8, will prob write a review. Inb4everyone trolls me but I won't reply to a close-minded fanbase that belittles the achievements of many other works of fiction in general
May 14, 2014 10:27 PM

Jun 2009
See now, that last sentence makes it seem like you are just trying to piss off fans. You have got to be more smooth than that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 14, 2014 10:35 PM

Sep 2013
Tarextherex said:
Ugh one of the worst endings they could have did... Most of it did hit me in the feels but right after his death it was simply unecessary, made it seem like it was pointless, so much for the difference between the legend and history, not feeling like watching more of the same. First season was masterful, then it went downhill with the overreliance on the narrator versus the poetic dialogues between characters that made much better jobs. Then you had freaking diseases, terrorists and shounen-like pride getting in the way of interesting developments, season 1 did lay out an impressive blueprint for things to come but writing really suffered after that. Despite the many problems I woulda gabe it a 9 if the ending was satisfying but nope it end up in a similar tone than the whole freaking series so 8, will prob write a review. Inb4everyone trolls me but I won't reply to a close-minded fanbase that belittles the achievements of many other works of fiction in general

I'm not even going to bother to reply to this, since he's a guy who says Kill la Kill "saved anime".

Oh wait, I just did.
May 14, 2014 11:24 PM

Nov 2012
Seig Kaiser Reinhart!

Truly the most grand and vast series ever made, although I wouldn't personally call it the "best". I'm fine with this being rated so highly and it deserves the praise. Powerful last episode. Both the Kaiser and Yang are great and fleshed out characters that really grew on me.
Harmonium94May 14, 2014 11:39 PM
May 15, 2014 12:37 PM
Jul 2012
cupc said:
Tarextherex said:

I'm not even going to bother to reply to this, since he's a guy who says Kill la Kill "saved anime".

Oh wait, I just did.

Classic fallacy right there, anyway it's not like anime today really requires that much effort to be saved. Trigger delivers good gar stuff and jojo is airing so it ensures some weekly gar, that's all I need

Plus that fad is just a big inside joke by old gainax fans really, while the "logh is so objectively amazing that every anime you will watch after finishing it will be shit" is actually serious. Couldn't resist letting that sentence out when you had exactly that in the posts above, I wont rant in my review. Very good series, must for space opera fans and great influence to some anime after it and that's pretty much it, not the holy grail of anime
May 15, 2014 7:19 PM

Jun 2009
Obviously it isn't the holy grail of anime, there isn't one. Also, I'm pretty sure most people are joking about the "logh is so objectively amazing that every anime you will watch after finishing it will be shit". At least I hope so.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 15, 2014 10:20 PM

Sep 2013
Tarextherex said:
cupc said:
Tarextherex said:

Oh wait, I just did.

Classic fallacy right there, anyway it's not like anime today really requires that much effort to be saved. Trigger delivers good gar stuff and jojo is airing so it ensures some weekly gar, that's all I need

Plus that fad is just a big inside joke by old gainax fans really, while the "logh is so objectively amazing that every anime you will watch after finishing it will be shit" is actually serious. Couldn't resist letting that sentence out when you had exactly that in the posts above, I wont rant in my review. Very good series, must for space opera fans and great influence to some anime after it and that's pretty much it, not the holy grail of anime

Yeah pretty much what you said except that it is one of the 'holy grails' for me. I don't agree with all your critique, but I don't feel like arguing in this thread either.

I got perhaps a bit too aggressive back when I posted that, maybe I just had a bad day, sorry.
cupcMay 15, 2014 10:25 PM
May 17, 2014 9:10 AM

Sep 2008
insan3Spectre said:
See now, that last sentence makes it seem like you are just trying to piss off fans. You have got to be more smooth than that.

I hardly read most of it, but that last line about a close-minded fanbase belittling the 'achievements' of many other works of fiction in general. LOL. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, I haven't seen any other fanbase celebrating great masterworks of fiction the way lotgh fans do. Maybe I'm making a generalization, but I feel that there is hardly a fan-base more passionate about seeking out and appreciating masterpieces from a wide variety of genres and mediums.
eyerokMay 17, 2014 2:21 PM
May 17, 2014 8:56 PM

Jan 2013
And so the legend ends, and the history begins.

The last episode wraps up this behemoth of a series nicely.
Indeed a masterpiece by any stretch of imagination I can possibly comprehend.
Its an honour to watch a show that I can confidently claim to be one of the best shows I'll ever see in my entire life.

SIEG KAISER REINHARD.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 7, 2014 2:01 AM

Mar 2013
The best in the anime medium, and one of the strongest fictional works I've experienced. This void is going to hurt.
Jun 11, 2014 8:20 AM

May 2014
This is one of the few series that feel better after rewatching.

For the most part, it really has made other anime series look far less interesting in comparison. But it would be more accurate to say that the experience itself has changed my tastes. It has helped me see some merits in other shows that would have been easy to miss before, but they are less frequent than I'd like.

The same applies to my tastes in literature and other media. The search for good works is difficult but worthwhile. It's better to push your boundaries than be satisfied with your old favorites.
Jun 12, 2014 5:00 PM
Sep 2007
As whole, LOGH is best anime ever.

But King of Anime Endings is still Gunbuster.
Jun 18, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2012
Wow, this really sucked.
получить деньги моего друга
Jun 20, 2014 3:45 PM

Jul 2010
Just marathoned the whole thing in a week. Amazing experience and a new favorite. I just finished and I already feel like re-watching. Gotta see the prequels first though! It has it's flaws, but I never thought a show could have the depth and complexity of logh. My mind is blown.
Jul 1, 2014 9:53 PM

Sep 2008
Wow. What an ending. Oberstein is nice guy. Caring for his dog till he dies. :) I like how they left ending open and didn't tell what happened afterwards.

Also lol @ Michael and Ralf Schumacher at the start.
Jul 2, 2014 12:43 AM
Jul 2012
10/10

Also, Yang's death was still the saddest of all. He just wanted to retire and be a historian for fucks sake :(

I think the series was definitely Empire-heavy and not enough Republic. I would have liked to have seen more goings-on at the Republican side of things, since I never really had a whole lot of interest in the Empire
Jul 2, 2014 7:09 AM
Aug 2013
One of the best pieces of media i have watched in my life so far... Holy shit i just feel like watching it all over again this summer 11/10.
Though i still think this anime only works on people with atleast a reasonable degree of intelligence so if you only watch schoollife bullshit and have no desire for the epic i completely understand if you didn't like this masterpiece thx.
Jul 3, 2014 9:15 AM

Sep 2011
I am incredibly pleased with this ending and finale. I was very worried when it felt really slow after oskar's death and such a small episode count remaining but they managed to end it perfectly. I'm very pleased that they didnt kill everyone off too, I felt if they did that they would have just ended up making a muffled message like "only way for peace to come is to kill everyone in command" yet it thankfully gravitated away from that.

Reinhard was a phenomenal character and his death exemplified that. He died young but he changed the universe as a whole and it looks like with the help of julian he helped make the future a brighter place. Speaking of julian I thought he was a very under appreciated character, he had some of the finest character development in the series and just looking at how he acts here in this final episodes compared to the start of the series its just insane how much hes changed. Him killing the terraism leader was so satisfying though i did think that was a terrible villain who was too much of a "hurr dur im evil" character to fit within this shows themes of both sides having good and evil. We didnt even learn his motives.

Still all in all fantastic series. it falls just short of a 10/10 for me but its still a very enthusiastic 9/10.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 3, 2014 9:42 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, even a lot of hardcore LoGH fans don't like the Earth Cult depiction. Like you said, they were too clear cut "black" in morality, too "lol evul" and it just didn't fit the very grey over all tone of the series.

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 12, 2014 3:48 PM

Nov 2013
^ That, Rubinksy, and some of the moments which felt a little jarring to believe at times were my only issues. Rosenritter running through gunfire was akin to spartans charging modern day military.

Aside from that though, this is the only series I've ever seen which has honestly lived up the hype in every regard, and that hype was massive. Incredible anime, I was skeptical of the 'best anime ever' quotes I hear thrown out a lot because of it's age, and the possibility of nostalgia playing a big factor. I can safely say that is not the case in the slightest. I honestly can't even a imagine another anime ever being able to touch upon the sheer scope of LotGH, never mind create characters to fuel it.

Oberstein's death made him rocket into my favourites, I was tip-toeing the line between hating him for his manners but loving him for his policies. In the end it doesn't even matter he's a fantastic character with an incredible personality.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 12, 2014 4:51 PM

Mar 2013
Well written Vexper, you nailed Logh's intrinsic greatness in succinct but inspiring prose.

It's great to have another True Logh Fan on board, glad you realize its the Unparalleled True Elite Anime.

Glad to see your favorite character list dominated by Logh as well. Probably up to 50 characters from Logh are deserving to be in most Favorite lists, thats just how insanely vivid and impressionable they are, where even minor characters with only minimal screen time can make even MC's from other shows seem like poor jokes by comparison. Sadly there are only 10 Favorite Character slots on Mal.. That being said Logh has the highest amount of total favorites from its characters relative to its completed viewer ratio.

It's our obligation to Logh to spread the word and open the eyes of fellow Mal members who have unfortunately never experienced anime as it should be. Those that have seen Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Mushishi and the other top staples think that they have seen the best of anime, but they couldn't be further from the truth. Until they have seen Logh they can't be considered True Anime Fans, so its our responsibility to enlighten them.
SlickDAug 12, 2014 4:56 PM
Aug 12, 2014 11:31 PM

Jan 2008
SlickDragon said:
Until they have seen Logh they can't be considered True Anime Fans, so its our responsibility to enlighten them.

LOL'D HARD. So you are not a True Animay Fan until you've seen LoGH? What does this "true anime fan" mean anyway? Must be some kind of weeaboo title.

Gosh, I've just got another reminder why I hate LoGH fanbase with a passion, while the anime itself is one of my favorites.
JunchiAug 12, 2014 11:40 PM
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Aug 14, 2014 7:25 PM
Jul 2014
Vexper said:

Oberstein's death made him rocket into my favourites, I was tip-toeing the line between hating him for his manners but loving him for his policies. In the end it doesn't even matter he's a fantastic character with an incredible personality.
I had a love-hate relationship with him. On one hand I want to hate him because I DO blame him for Siegfrieds death, on the other hand his sacrifice for me showed that in the end, he was always loyal to his emperor and no different hen Muller and Gale(just different ways of thinking)
Aug 15, 2014 3:03 AM

Apr 2012
I'm surprised and maybe a bit disappointed Oberstein didn't have any greater political ambitions. I was expecting him to start a power struggle against Reinhard. Despite his sinister appearances, he just ended up being a very effective Machiavellian military bureaucrat; often making controversial choices albeit them being logically sound. He was portrayed as a bit more human as he was on his deathbed. Definitely one of the more interesting characters in the series, but I think they could have done more with him.

I agree with what has already been reiterated many times in regard to the rather anti-climatic and "out of place" arc about the cultists and Rubinsky.

Otherwise, it was a hell of a watch. Great characters, enjoyed every bit of the political/military ramblings, etc. Probably the only series in this medium that takes politics in a serious tone.

10/10
zzzeallyAug 15, 2014 3:17 AM

Aug 15, 2014 11:39 AM
Aug 2014
Having just finished it: WOW! Magnificent, ambitious, sweeping story-telling. 10/10

A few things that didn't work for me. Let me know if you think I'm wrong :)

First a few words of praise:

Massively impressed by the huge cast of vividly painted minor characters. Some of the characters were a little one-dimensional - but that one dimension was memorable and attractive, and, as I was mostly able to keep my disbelief suspended, my imagination added another dimension or two, and they became characters that provided rich colour that enriched the series. Credit to the guy who wrote the 10 books.

They handled this huge cast of characters brilliantly. Mostly, I remembered who each character was when they were re-introduced. That was because they did serious work in introducing characters in a memorable way, and providing us with clues when an old character was re-introduced. That's rare in series like this, and very impressive.

Now for a few gripes:

In the final episodes, Julian, who increasingly was the character I was rooting for, behaved in ways that made little sense to me:
(1) He seemed far too relaxed about making war on the empire at the end. Out of character, and contradicting the values of his mentor Yang Wen-li. Maybe war was the only way to achieve Yang's hope of a continued remnant for democracy. But I would have expected far more intense mental anguish when engaging in a battle that would kill many thousands and might result in the deaths of everyone in Iserlohn. I don't recall Yang ever starting a war, he only ever advocated defensive wars. While Julian did have an internal debate about whether he was doing the right thing, neither he nor the other characters in Iserlohn seemed to think through the implications of an aggressive war they couldn't hope to win.

Of course, nothing wrong in a story if a protege departs from his mentor's teaching. But I think that break with Yang's teaching needed to be tackled head-on.

(2) One of Julian's final remarks was that he wanted to continue to be a soldier fighting the autocracy of the empire. That contradicted what he said earlier, that the future work would be using diplomacy to try to change the empire, rather than the power of the impregnable Iserlohn base. Maybe this was mistranslation in the subtitles, and Julian actually wanted to defend democracy rather than fight autocracy. However, it seemed to me to lack consistency in how Julian was drawn. Perhaps they were rushing the end of the series, and hadn't thought this through enough.

(3) The art-work for Julian's face was a little bland. At the start, I genuinely didn't know if he was a boy or a girl. As he aged it got better, but for such an important character, I think they should have done more to make his face expressive and interesting. In contrast, the cartoon portrayal of Yang Wen-li's face was brilliant.

Like others, I didn't like the way the Terraism group were portrayed. No problem that they were evil - evil terrorists do exist. But, for a group that had been plotting since before the founding of independent Phezzan, they must surely have been more than brainwashed fanatics led by a cynical power-mad elite. It needn't have taken much screen time to explain them a little more. For example, Earth scenes could have shown Terraists lamenting the destruction of their world and the loss of it's heritage. Perhaps clips of Terraists showing disgust at the immoral behaviour around them such as drinking and prostitution. In one sense, the Terraists were the primary antagonists, more so than the Phezzan leadership (Phezzan was founded by the Terraists). I think there's a lot of other stuff in the series that could have been cut to make room for a proper exploration of Terraism.

I didn't like that the only portrayal of religion was these evil fanatics, apart from fairly meaningless references to Odin and Valhalla. In contemporary society there are good and bad religious people. Religion has been a constant in human history, its lack in this series contradicts the theme that in every age people behave in similar ways, regardless of technology. This fault applies to most sci-fi, but just because its a common fault, doesn't stop it being disappointing.

I also thought the final defeat of the Terraists was far too easy. At one stage, they brainwashed the Imperial leadership of an entire planet, and throughout the series they were able to create hordes of brain-washed minions to assassinate and sabotage. Suddenly, with relatively little explanation, they were down to their last 30 men. They were so short-handed that their corrupt leader lead all remaining Terraists to try to kill the emperor when they were bound to be heavily outnumbered. Completely out of character for the man, I'd have thought - why would that corrupt man are so much if the imperials were going to destroy Earth? It felt to me that the series had run out of time. It needed another one of two episodes finishing off Terraism, but instead they had to rush finishing them off. A bit disappointing.

But I still think the series deserves a 10.

Yang was my favorite character. His philosophizing showed us a lot of his character, it was succinct and easy to understand, but pretty profound.

Great quotations:
- "Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." - Doesn't that show Yang's character wonderfully?
- "In reality, it's dictatorship rather than democracy that drastically advances government reforms. But I think humanity ought to avoid being united by a dictatorship. While it's true Duke Lohengramm might have that talent, what about his descendants? His heir? Rulers aren't necessarily wise through generations... I don't think the entire human race should be ruled by a system where everything depends on one person's character." Personally, I think drastic reform is possible within a democracy, but it's wonderful to have such a politically sophisticated argument discussed in an anime!
- The running theme that if the people don't engage with democracy and what is happening in society, they can expect bad things to happen.
- I liked the implication that Hildegard turned the empire into a constitutional monarchy - so implying that Democracy. the greatest invention in the history of mankind, triumphed in the end :)
TawekAug 18, 2014 11:03 AM
Aug 15, 2014 11:44 AM

Aug 2014
Tawek said:

Congratulations. You are now done with anime.

Good write-up. I would comment on Julian, but it's been far too long since I watched this.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 15, 2014 12:31 PM
Aug 2014
PencilSharpener said:
Tawek said:

Congratulations. You are now done with anime.

Thanks for the reply :)

I don't think I'm done with anime yet, but maybe I'm done with space opera anime.

Of those anime that I've seen, I've found another that I scored 10 and several 9's, often in totally different genres. I'm sure there are others I've yet to watch that I'll score as highly.

(The other I scored 10 was Nodame Cantabile, and I think I may have enjoyed it even more than Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Wonderful music, great characters, life-affirming story, made me wish I were an accomplished musician! And totally and utterly different from LotGH, so perhaps impossible to compare :)
TawekAug 21, 2014 10:29 AM
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.