3It was OK
2.2%
2Disliked it
1.1%
1Hated it
3.4%
Average 4.7
948 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2008 7:24 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What an end. They saved a whole lot for the finale.

Erwin possibly being alive was an interesting development. Whatever his fate, it's probably better than being with that deranged aristocrat.

Julian was merciless once he recognized De Villier. It's like he was back on the ship when he first found Yang's dead body. If he didn't have anyone around he would have probably kept firing until the gun ran out of energy. At long last he's got his revenge and Terrarism can finally be put to rest.

Oberstein's death probably pleased a lot of his enemies but in the end he was an incredible person. To continue your duties without fail even when nearly everybody hates you isn't easy.

Reinhard died incredibly young. Hilda is a strong, smart woman so she'll probably do fine. She's still got people like Mittermeyer and Muller who will be there to support her.

Overall this series started out strong and ended the same way. There wasn't a single episode that I didn't like which is surprising for me considering the series length.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 20, 2008 11:08 PM

Sep 2007
Finally over, huh? Loved the ending. Reinhard... great character.

I'd like to post some sort of ending thought on the series, but I find myself kind of speechless. All I can say is that it was amazing.
Aug 21, 2008 2:39 AM

Mar 2008
The narrator's words about Trunhint surprised me, I thought the autor had forgoten him.
Actually he was not as destestable as I believed. He tried to change the Empire from the inside. He wasn't a honest politician but he tried to restore a democratic system (maybe for his own sake).
Aug 21, 2008 12:02 PM

Jan 2008
Moya said:
The narrator's words about Trunhint surprised me, I thought the autor had forgoten him.
Actually he was not as destestable as I believed. He tried to change the Empire from the inside. He wasn't a honest politician but he tried to restore a democratic system (maybe for his own sake).

...and that's why LoGH is so awesome - everyone there is a good guy, in one way or another.
I had fun once and it was awful.
Oct 9, 2008 1:25 AM

Feb 2008
Greatest series ever.
Oct 12, 2008 10:00 AM

May 2008
Echelon said:
Greatest series ever.

As much as I would like to do a quote post and leave it at that, I won't. I will say it was the only series to /actually/ make me cry manly tears and the only series that could manage to kill off my favorite character with an entire season to go and still managed to make me like it the same amount in spite of that.

I also have to admit that, much like Karin, I'm tsundere for Julian. I wasn't really that high on him early on in the series, but by the end...such a man.
Oct 13, 2008 12:07 AM

Feb 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
Echelon said:
Greatest series ever.

As much as I would like to do a quote post and leave it at that, I won't. I will say it was the only series to /actually/ make me cry manly tears and the only series that could manage to kill off my favorite character with an entire season to go and still managed to make me like it the same amount in spite of that.

I also have to admit that, much like Karin, I'm tsundere for Julian. I wasn't really that high on him early on in the series, but by the end...such a man.

Exactly my thoughts too.

I kind of wish Karin played maybe a bigger more vital role, but she was still cool and it was nice to see her warm up to Julian eventually.
Oct 18, 2008 2:54 PM

Aug 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
Echelon said:
Greatest series ever.

As much as I would like to do a quote post and leave it at that, I won't. I will say it was the only series to /actually/ make me cry manly tears...

Same here. Such a powerful finish, worthy of what I believe to be the greatest, most epic anime series to date.

I love how they left Oberstein's death to the viewer's interpretation and the scene with the two babies was beyond touching. Once again, amazing series.
Nov 22, 2008 3:37 PM

Jan 2008
I liked it when Felix tried to grasp the stars in his hands, and Mittermeyer said with a smile something like "you too?". Generally I don't like scenes with children, but this was simply awesome. Like everthing else, by the way.
I had fun once and it was awful.
Nov 27, 2008 4:56 PM
Nov 2007
Just saw it
My favorite anime of all time just ended..my will to watch more shows is gone

This was absolutely..beyond words
no doubt - best anime series to date.

Man, Tytania has SOME shoes to fit into

Mar 26, 2009 2:23 PM
Apr 2008
LoGH is not as good as everyone says, it's even better.
Best anime ever. Hands down.

Mar 27, 2009 2:29 PM
Mar 2008
BEST SERIES EVER, end of discussion.
May 21, 2009 9:58 AM

Jun 2008
Greatest anime series ever created! The ending was the best I've ever seen.
May 24, 2009 6:40 PM

Sep 2007
Echelon said:
Greatest series ever.

I'll just leave it as that. I would've liked to see Bittenfeld's reaction to Oberstein's death. And I gotta admit, I cried when Reinhard died. Such an awesome character.

tainteddonut said:
Julian was merciless once he recognized De Villier. It's like he was back on the ship when he first found Yang's dead body. If he didn't have anyone around he would have probably kept firing until the gun ran out of energy.

I gotta say I was expecting this to happen, but, hey, Jullian left no room for doubt. De Villier wasn't the kind of man to be left alive, anyways.
May 30, 2009 2:29 PM

Feb 2005
I never cried manly tears quite like this.
I've never encountered any story, anime or otherwise, quite like this.

Die sage ist vorüber, die historie beginnt.

Not a quote I'm likely to forget with a hurry.
May 30, 2009 2:34 PM
Jun 2008
I don't think I've seen something so epic before. It just managed to astound me in so many ways.

To think, we witnessed the story of the man who conquered the universe, the man who stood against him, and all the people who helped make those ambitions see fruition.

I've never seen an anime pay so much attention to detail with its storyline. It was amazing anime. An amazing experience, more like.
Jun 4, 2009 3:15 AM

Apr 2009
So Reinhard died, exactly as I had predicted from the moment he started having fevers, from an illness... kinda anticlimatic, but it was fitting. What surprised me though was Oberstein's death, he was such an enigmatic figure, putting Reuental aside he was probably the most complex character in the series and though I always thought of him as a loyal, duty-first subordinate, still to orchestrate his own death? I suppose the shadow can't survive when the light is gone...
Jun 20, 2009 5:26 AM

Sep 2008
Great ending. I was expecting a LOT from this anime when I started watching it, and it still positively surprised me. Definetly my favourite anime so far. 10/10.
Jun 24, 2009 1:20 PM

Feb 2008
A good ending. I won't rate the show 10 because of many small things that were very annoying to me but definitely a unique series.

I was so sure that Oberstiein was with the Terrarists. -_-
Jun 28, 2009 8:19 AM

Apr 2009
For a series that was 110 eps long, it sure flew by fast. I must have been distracted by the gallons of epic that flowed out of each and every crevice of this series.

While Reinhard dieing from a disease and Yang bleeding to death after being shot in the leg were anticlimactic deaths at best, the irony that the two most powerful figures in all the universe that had war surrounding them their whole lives died that way was really powerful.

Well, needless to say this was a 10 series, and Im glad that I got pushed into watching it.

Jul 24, 2009 11:37 PM
Mar 2008
Osaka117 said:
While Reinhard dieing from a disease...

In a show jam packed with beautiful and memorable quotes, Hilda's last lines rang exceptionally soundly. To me, Reinhard lived enough in just 25 years to fill several lifetimes worth of accomplishments.

I don't think I'll ever see another show that balances morality as delicately again.
Aug 12, 2009 2:15 AM

Jul 2009
Liberal said:
Just finished it. Reinhard and Oberstein will live on in my heart. Respect.

Alas86 said:
I suppose the shadow can't survive when the light is gone...

tehnominator said:
I've never seen an anime pay so much attention to detail with its storyline. It was amazing anime. An amazing experience, more like.

Echelon said:
Greatest series ever.

Luck said:
my will to watch more shows is gone

This.

The universe is so lonely now, but what a hopeful beginning for the rest of history. I somehow couldn't shed any tears in the end, yet LOGH moved me more than any story before, even the ones that did make me cry.

Dogs eat dog food.
(...except my dog)
- P. v. Oberstein
Aug 16, 2009 11:05 PM
Sep 2007
It was was fine, maybe a bit overrated, but fine.
Aug 20, 2009 4:59 PM

Jul 2008
After deciding to keep stalling watch this series since last year, I'm glad I had the opportunity to complete it before school starts. Every time I finish one episode, I couldn't help, but engulfed the rest of the series in just a week. Now I know the reason why it deserves such a high rank in this site. Although I wasn't familiar with political affairs and such, I was able to sympathize to the other characters even if they have different ideals including Admiral Bucock or Cornelius Lutz. And I just love Julian's tenacity when he confronted the Terraists. (If I was him, I would probably use my bare hands to pummel the guy's head though.)

kilmindaro said:
I liked it when Felix tried to grasp the stars in his hands, and Mittermeyer said with a smile something like "you too?".

I love this last scene. I feel miserable though that Reuenthal wasn't able to cherish the happiness with them. Oh well...I guess Felix and Alexander would become friends and do majestic goals like Reinhard did.
Aug 21, 2009 1:47 PM

Apr 2009
the greatest anime forever ..
its painful when reinhard said that he have more dreams ..
and I like how he ask flix to be friend with alec ..
the ending was great , its make me think how the future will be for alic and flex ..
I want to rewatch it many time :D

Burek said:

I was so sure that Oberstiein was with the Terrarists. -_-

yes I have this thought too :(
Aug 21, 2009 7:21 PM
Sep 2007
To be honest, Reinhard's death wasn't so shocking like Yang's.
In fact, we all expected it.
Aug 22, 2009 1:16 AM

Mar 2008
Psajdak said:

That's right, Reinhard's death was more your classical death at the end of a series. Nevertheless his disease is really mysterious, is it really an illness ? Even is was something we expected there are many unanswered questions about Reinhard's death.
Aug 22, 2009 6:45 AM

Feb 2005
Moya said:
Nevertheless his disease is really mysterious, is it really an illness ? Even is was something we expected there are many unanswered questions about Reinhard's death.
Space Aids.
Aug 22, 2009 7:08 AM
Jun 2008
Baman said:
Moya said:
Nevertheless his disease is really mysterious, is it really an illness ? Even is was something we expected there are many unanswered questions about Reinhard's death.
Space Aids.

But he only did it with Hildegard. Unless the Kircheis x Reinhard slashers want to come and say something about it.
Aug 22, 2009 7:12 AM
Sep 2007
Moya said:
Psajdak said:

That's right, Reinhard's death was more your classical death at the end of a series. Nevertheless his disease is really mysterious, is it really an illness ? Even is was something we expected there are many unanswered questions about Reinhard's death.
In any case, I'm glad that boring cartoon's over.
Aug 22, 2009 11:55 AM

Apr 2009
Psajdak said:

that is right , and i didn't cry as when yang,ruental,Schenkop and even lutz dead
and it was shocking :(

Psajdak said:
In any case, I'm glad that boring cartoon's over.

nice joke XXD
Sep 6, 2009 12:54 PM

Mar 2009
Parts of the show made me think Reinhard digested some type of slow poison. There was closeups of the tea he drinks and also another part where the narrator made a comment about him drinking only two spoonfuls of the soup instead of more.
Sep 6, 2009 2:56 PM

Feb 2005
ruusakraj said:
Parts of the show made me think Reinhard digested some type of slow poison. There was closeups of the tea he drinks and also another part where the narrator made a comment about him drinking only two spoonfuls of the soup instead of more.
Oh dear.
Good find.
But who could it have been? The Terraists did make that rush for him in the end, which they probably wouldn't if they knew he was dying of poison. Baldie also went out in a last ditch effort, so it couldn't have been him either, and Oberstein did sacrifice himself to save him, so unless he is Tzeentch incarnate, there shouldn't be any reason for him to have done it.

Besides, if it was indeed some sort of poison, then it must have been some seriously hardcore secret mic or newly developed toxin, so I'd suppose it would have to have been deployed by a rather affluent faction.

Some of the remnants of the old dynasty or private actors or corporations within the FPA?
I suppose we'll never know.
Sep 6, 2009 4:24 PM

Mar 2009
If it was slow poison, I sort of think the person who poisoned him is Emil. He was introduced in the same episode (episode 49) that Reinhard first got a fever in. I think in that episode it was a regular fever and Emil poisoned him later on. Slow poison seems to have the same type of symptoms and people probably wouldn't guess it was poison after the first time Reinhard got sick. It just seemed similar to a mystery show I watched.

Emil has the best chance to put poison in his food/drinks. He might not be what everyone thinks he is. He did give a weird look to Yang in one of the episodes which made me think what that look was all about. He just seemed the most suspicious in this scenario.
ruusakrajSep 6, 2009 4:27 PM
Sep 6, 2009 6:08 PM

Apr 2009
Greatest series ever.

That was such a brilliant ending. Oberstein's and Reinhard's deaths made me shed manly tears.

This is one show I will never forget.

"The legend ends, and history begins" The best final lines of an anime ever.
My vision is augmented.
Sep 7, 2009 5:23 AM

Feb 2005
ruusakraj said:
Emil has the best chance to put poison in his food/drinks. He might not be what everyone thinks he is. He did give a weird look to Yang in one of the episodes which made me think what that look was all about. He just seemed the most suspicious in this scenario.
Golly. I'll have to look out for this when I rewatch it.
Sep 7, 2009 1:10 PM

Nov 2008
ruusakraj said:

I remember that. I though that scene was weird." Why give this emphatic shot of Emil in this particular moment?" I though.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Sep 12, 2009 7:50 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Although too many things happened in the last few episodes, they succeeded at creating a conclusive ending that left me satisfied.

Oberstein's death just confirmed that he was actually working for the good and survival of humanity, even if it means using underhanded methods....

The fact that Josef Erwin is still alive is actually some good material for future sequels (not that I want any)

Anyhow, I cannot find ANY reasons not to rate this series 10.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 13, 2009 5:22 AM

Jan 2008
This thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 29, 2009 9:58 AM

Jan 2009
I'm just speechless at the moment, just beyond comprehension, the greatest opera I've seen in my life so far, I just can't find a sentence to describe what I wanna really say (I wonder if there is anyway), Amazingly Epic? Ridiculously Awesome? Or maybe an Extraordinary Masterpiece?

Besides my extremely melancholy at the moment, I giggled a bit when Mittermeyer tried to separate Felix from Alec while they were both holding hands, very realistic given the situation they were in. And I must say, I loved the meaning of such situation.

Gale_Wolf said:

"The legend ends, and history begins"
I found myself crying after I saw this.

My Anime List. | ηš†γ―θ¦‹γ€γ‘γ‚‰γ‚Œγ‚‹εΏ…θ¦γŒγ‚γ‚‹γ€‚ | Relentless.
Oct 10, 2009 8:17 AM

Feb 2009
I was very moved by this show. The top of my thoughts after finishing it is "all things must come to an end". We got the chance to witness the rise and fall (deaths) of two splendid characters and the rise of a galactic empire.

Now I feel empty. This show gave us 100% in every episode until the story concluded, the legend ended and history begun. I will cherish this moment as Legend of the Galactic Heroes is probably the best anime I have seen and I have a hard time seeing any other show top it.
Oct 15, 2009 6:11 PM

Mar 2008
Quotes from here can be used as those mini reviews on the backs of DVD boxes.
Oct 17, 2009 1:02 AM

Sep 2009
I have a huge amount of respect for the writers on this one, because they did a great job capturing an intriguing world and the show didn't falter even once over the course of it's 110 episodes. I don't know if it was my favorite anime of all time but I certainly agree that it was remarkably well done and might warrant my number one ranking the same way Citizen Kane has become my favorite movie, as recognition of the genius that went into making this.
newt216Oct 17, 2009 1:09 AM
Oct 18, 2009 7:53 PM

Nov 2008
/salutes one of the greatest anime ever created.

It deserves the number one spot. It never got boring. It never was overly cheesy. It was never simple (good vs. evil) like Code Geass or any other formulaic anime out there.

10/10 for a masterpiece that has been timeless more than 20 years on since it started.
Oct 20, 2009 11:20 PM
Apr 2008
And thus, the 110 episode epic is completed... Simply perfect.

I was not so surprised about Reinhard's death, but it did hit hard, however not as hard as Yang's. Other than that, I am truly lost for words at the moment. It feels like a part of my soul has been completed in the completion of this series.
Oct 25, 2009 12:16 AM

Jan 2009
ruusakraj said:

No he said he didn't want to eat it anyways and the only reason he had two spoon fulls and not three was because someone came in and started talking to him.

Anyways this is by far the BEST anime i have seen. Absolutely amazing, had the best cast of characters, amazing dialogue, so much attention to detail, no corners were cut at the end and outside of Reinhards disease i feel everything was answered. I doubt i will find any anime as good as this for awhile.

Now i shall go cry in the corner as for the last 5 hours i have seen some of my favorite characters die :'(
burntlettuceNov 4, 2009 7:36 AM
Nov 2, 2009 3:30 AM

Jun 2009
I got say that the last half of this series featured some of the most beautiful and tragic moments I've ever seen in anime. I can't say it's the best anime ever made, but it's definitely one of the best I've seen and it fully deserves a 10.

There's so much stuff I'll never forget about this series, so many great moments.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 3, 2009 3:17 PM

Dec 2007
My housemates must think I'm crazy because I had to stand up and applaud after that ending, I'm so glad that I got to meet the director of this. I'm sorry, but I need to quote the reaction that The Simpson's Comic Book Guy had to the completion of this series,"Best.Anime.Ever." This series had so many characters that I thought that I would have a hard time keeping track of them all, but seriously, most of them were some of the best characters that I've ever seen in anime. Even Job Truniht, despite being the shameless bastard that he was, served a unique purpose in flushing out the story. One character that I feel took me too long to apritiate was Bittenfeld, that guy was awesome but I didn't really realize how awesome until he said something along the lines of,"If you're going to praise someone you do it loudly, if you're going to degrade someone you do it even louder."

Whether it was that Reinhard was poisoned or had simply developed the disease naturally, and Josef Erwin's true fate, I believe were intentionally left up to interpretation. The series placed heavy emphasis on the way that history is recorded and there are many mysteries within our own history. How did Rasputin die only from drowning after being poisoned and shot? Was the JFK assassination really a conspiracy? What really happened to Jimmy Hoffa? These are all things that history will probably never know.

A lot of people say that this show take awhile to get good, I used to agree but now I don't really think so. This is a show that deals a lot with politics which not a lot of other series do. I think it simply takes awhile to get into the mindset required to gain apritiation for the content of the series, if you are not already familiar with politics and military tactics.

What originally kept me away from this show was the length, but honestly it could've been longer and I wouldn't have cared. This is something I can tell I will watch several times before I die. Easily this is a 10/10.

Now time for the prequels.

#NBHNC
Nov 8, 2009 6:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Just finished watching it after long weeks of absolute engrossment.

It made me cry. It made me laugh. It made me reflect on the society I live in, the politics that I support and why I support them.

I don't know of any other series that can do that.

Wonderful stuff. Impossible to do something like this today.

Problem is, what can I watch now??
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 9, 2009 8:38 AM

Nov 2008
Marzan said:

Problem is, what can I watch now??

Crest of the Stars (not that great).

If you like comedy and want to see students become involved with a yakuza like teacher, then go watch Great Teacher Onizuka. It gives a microcosmic view of high school students compared to the grand scale of LotGH.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 109 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

64 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.