Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2010 8:51 PM
Jun 2010
It's hard to describe this episode.

the characters acted very weird, the action scene was very awkward, the military guy was happy because he shot Yang Wenli's leg is funny and thinking he killed him but didn't notice he just shot his leg, but it ended up being lethal.
supersayenOct 10, 2010 9:04 PM

Oct 11, 2010 8:25 AM

Sep 2008
supersayen said:
It's hard to describe this episode.

the characters acted very weird, the action scene was very awkward, the military guy was happy because he shot Yang Wenli's leg is funny and thinking he killed him but didn't notice he just shot his leg, but it ended up being lethal.

lol...seems like you're having some difficulty holding back your anger and disappointment.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 31, 2010 12:37 AM
May 2010
I am.... not disappoint.

It's exactly what I'd expect from this series, it takes a character who's so influential, and shows how easily he can perish... just like the rest of us.

Well, it's going to be interesting seeing how both sides react to this, but I do not see any good coming from it.
Nov 13, 2010 4:13 AM

Jan 2010
BEFORE THE EPISODE:
ok finally,i've been expecting to watch this episode for such a long time...here is it...episode #82...wow i have no idea what will happen,i'm really pumped xD
i watched only the first few seconds,and it already looks epic...
here's what i think will happen:

AFTER THE EPISODE:
...........................asjkldfqwekfwefjkl;wfjkltgw34rtqwe4t
SHIT
F*CK
damn it man....NOOOO screw this ;(,WHY?that f*cking coward,it's not fair :(
screw it man really :(,that was a stupid way to die :(...maybe if he wouldn't have taken those sleeping pills he wouldn't have acted like a drug addict,before he got shot he barely could realise the gravity of what was happening,that's what i saw...

anyways I'm speechless

one more thing....@eyerok

wtf man O_O

EDIT:I'm really wondering how will the series continue without the most important character....how will Julian and Frederika react?...i'm already feeling so sorry for them
clannad4everNov 13, 2010 4:31 AM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 14, 2010 6:09 AM

Sep 2008
DONT blame me...how else was I supposed to not let you spoil someone else watching the show.

besides...what I said is true. Yang will never die as long as he lives in our hearts and our memories...*snif* *sniff*
eyerokNov 14, 2010 6:13 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 14, 2010 11:39 AM

Apr 2008
clannad4ever said:
BEFORE THE EPISODE:
ok finally,i've been expecting to watch this episode for such a long time...here is it...episode #82...wow i have no idea what will happen,i'm really pumped xD
i watched only the first few seconds,and it already looks epic...
here's what i think will happen:

AFTER THE EPISODE:
...........................asjkldfqwekfwefjkl;wfjkltgw34rtqwe4t
SHIT
F*CK
damn it man....NOOOO screw this ;(,WHY?that f*cking coward,it's not fair :(
screw it man really :(,that was a stupid way to die :(...maybe if he wouldn't have taken those sleeping pills he wouldn't have acted like a drug addict,before he got shot he barely could realise the gravity of what was happening,that's what i saw...

anyways I'm speechless

one more thing....@eyerok

wtf man O_O

EDIT:I'm really wondering how will the series continue without the most important character....how will Julian and Frederika react?...i'm already feeling so sorry for them

Yang is not the most important character. He is as equally important as Reinhard
Nov 14, 2010 12:42 PM

Jan 2010
martin03345 said:

Yang is not the most important character. He is as equally important as Reinhard

that's a subjective statement,i personally don't really care about Reinhard THAT much
if you were talking about their role in the story,then Reinhard is much more important than Yang

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eyerok said:
DONT blame me...how else was I supposed to not let you spoil someone else watching the show.

besides...what I said is true. Yang will never die as long as he lives in our hearts and our memories...*snif* *sniff*

well i wasn't actually spoiling,those were just assumptions :p
that was cruel,nevertheless *sigh*
BTW:i'm still hoping he will jump out from the coffin and be like "just kidding i'm fine:p"
Sayonara,papa!

~Athena Glory,Aria

Nov 18, 2010 8:26 AM

Sep 2008
yea...remember how I told you about him coming back as a zombie...
Nov 20, 2010 5:41 PM

Oct 2009
Wow, I had just added Yang to my favourite characters list and the very next episode he dies.

I didn't find his death scene to be particularly sad because I was utterly convinced that he wasn't going to die until the very last second. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

This series has done it again, I had put Kircheis on equal footing with Reinhard and Yang as main characters up until his unexpected death.
Dec 11, 2010 3:19 PM

Apr 2009
Oh gawd...I knew it from the ED of season 1, just seeing only Julian looking at the background made me realise that from the two, Yang would die a lot sooner than Julian...yet this episode made me freeze.

Clannad made me cry like a 6 years child who lost his mother, LoGH now made me stun like some really close friend had died...5/5
Dec 12, 2010 9:56 AM

Jan 2010
Kingwel said:
Oh gawd...I knew it from the ED of season 1, just seeing only Julian looking at the background made me realise that from the two, Yang would die a lot sooner than Julian...yet this episode made me freeze.

Clannad made me cry like a 6 years child who lost his mother, LoGH now made me stun like some really close friend had died...5/5

i hear you ;(
Sayonara,papa!

~Athena Glory,Aria

Dec 23, 2010 2:53 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, he died. :( The death makes sense, it seems like that's how things usually play out in history. The last season should be really interesting, what happens now I wonder?
Dec 31, 2010 7:11 PM

May 2010
You know who will be pissed, Reinhard...

My only complaint is why he died before Merkatz

I also really like the way the narrator ended with his tone of voice
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 1, 2011 2:28 AM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
Y

My only complaint is why he died before Merkatz

Jan 5, 2011 12:52 PM
Sep 2010
walla said:
The last season should be really interesting, what happens now I wonder?

LoGH turns into a Shojoi anime.

Jan 5, 2011 12:54 PM
Sep 2010
walla said:
The last season should be really interesting, what happens now I wonder?

LoGH turns into a Shojo anime.
Feb 7, 2011 12:38 AM
May 2009
I came here intending to write my first post raging about how Yang was killed off with a few plot devices, and how much that disappointed me...

"Not only was Andrew Fork's psycho suicide attack with one merchant vessel ridiculous, but the fact that he showed up at such a vulnerable time for Yang (along with being a pretext for some Imperial revenge) is even more so. Unless the Terraists planned on Reinhard's vision of Kircheis and the resulting cease-fire talks, AND the death of one or more respected Imperial admirals, it was simply a cheap plot device.

Secondly, Yang stumbling around in a pill-induced fog was strangely out of place. Why would he take sleeping pills, when he's essentially still in the middle of a battlefield, and after discussing the possibility that it could be an opportunity for dissatisfied Imperial elements? On top of that, he probably still should have been fatigued after the long battle... after all, that was one of Cazellnu's justifications for staying behind. Of course, this may not have had any impact on his death at all... but they made it seem that way."

... and I posted it anyway because I still am a little disappointed by that, even though I understand the necessity of his death for the story. But after reading all these posts... it's mostly because I JUST DIDN'T WANT HIM TO DIE! And I was trying to find excuses to hate this episode.

I'm just trying to rationalize it as a mistake or some such nonsense. Never had a character death take me through all 5 stages of grief before. And for that, I love this show more than I did at Ep 81, and love this Ep in particular. The black and white at the end will haunt me forever.

PS. Of the 3 previews I've accidentally watched up to this point, I just HAD to watch the preview of this one, didn't I? And yet, it still had this effect on me.
Feb 7, 2011 8:23 AM

Apr 2009
...Even if I knew this because of the stupid foreshadowing...Waterworks over here, people.
I've been squishing as much LoGH as I can into my day recently, watching for several hours straight, late into night... but I don't think I can play another episode right now. This just needs to...sink in.
Farewell, Yang. No words can fully express how empty the LoGH world will be without you.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 16, 2011 1:00 AM
Jul 2010
I thought the narrator had prepared me... damn

Democracy lost the last guy who really fought for it, the Alliance lost it's center, and we lost our only hero.

Need some time to absorb this
Mar 27, 2011 3:20 PM

Nov 2010
Such a devastating yet amazing episode. Throughout the series I always had the feeling the Yang would die at some point, but it seemed like whenever he would be faced with adversity he would just somehow pull through or the threats to his life themselves would never actually materialize.

As a result of this and despite my better judgment, I still held out hope that Yang would make it out alive. I was basically dumbfounded when it become apparent beyond all doubt that this was the end for Yang. Never did I think that I would cry during and episode of LOGH, but once the enormity of the situation sank in, combined with Julian's own reactions, I just couldn't hold back anymore.
Humour is the very essence of a democratic society.
Mar 29, 2011 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
What
The
Fuck

Didn't see that coming...I mean I kinda expected him to go eventually, but not before nearer the end at least. And certainly not like that. What a depressingly low key death. Amazing how much blood comes from one shot of those weapons.

Julian...your time to step up...
Apr 1, 2011 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
.........................................................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Apr 2, 2011 10:15 AM

May 2010
What do you mean you didn't see it coming? The damn narrator hinted his death like every episode?!! How can you not be prepared?!
Apr 3, 2011 1:39 PM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
What do you mean you didn't see it coming? The damn narrator hinted his death like every episode?!! How can you not be prepared?!

TBH you cannot be prepared enough for this one death scene. Its so well done and so shocking, even if you were spoiled it could still leave you completely devastated.
eyerokApr 3, 2011 1:43 PM
Apr 3, 2011 2:03 PM

May 2010
Great now you make me sound like an emotionless person
Apr 3, 2011 4:00 PM

Mar 2011
Yang Wenli's death almost made me drop the series. I also had a hard time sleeping the same night, no kidding.
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Apr 4, 2011 3:57 AM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:

yea, arent you that guy who laughed-off at that scene when that soldier was being burnt alive?
Apr 19, 2011 11:29 AM
Nov 2009
jpem said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
.........................................................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Q_Q mode activated......sad episode is sad.... 5/5 -10/10 for the series up till now...
Seriously listening to Human Nature makes me even sadder ,, LOL
R.I.P Yang Wenli
mikzflavaApr 19, 2011 11:37 AM
Apr 20, 2011 9:22 AM

Feb 2010
The whole episode was so tense because they keep showing Yang's clock ticking down. I was, unfortunately, horribly spoiled by this significant death in CnC spotlights of another unrelated series so I was mentally prepared since episode 1.

But #$@%#$%^#@^%$^%$& , I still bawled like a baby and they don't even need to play some cliche depressing osts in the background to trigger my emotions.

R.I.P Yang Teitoku
Apr 25, 2011 2:29 AM
Feb 2008
Found it hilarious that the in my opinion most hilarious scene was in the same episode.

"By now, he is nowhere to be found in this world..." BAM KICK TO THE FACE
May 16, 2011 12:34 AM

May 2010
koreye said:
Confucius said:

yea, arent you that guy who laughed-off at that scene when that soldier was being burnt alive?

I sure was!
May 16, 2011 3:36 PM

Aug 2007
I didn't cry, nor did my jaw drop to the floor. Right now I just feel sort of empty, and sad.

I knew this was coming, even the episode title made it clear as day. Hell, even the ending credits for season 3 gave us a looming, vague hint at it.

But still. I didn't want this guy to die, I didn't want him to go out like this in such a pathetic manner. He deserved another good 40 years before he had to leave.

This is easily one of the most depressing scenes in anime history, previous anime deaths have absolutely no comparison.

Jun 6, 2011 8:55 PM

Apr 2008
ok, you know a series is good when you get to the part where yang is wandering the corridors by himself and you are on pins and needles. And then you get to the tragedy and you practically yell at the tv screen.

GAH! He was my favorite character, too.

Definitely want to see what happens next, I want to say that Julian will likely be the next best candidate for tactical genius on this side of the whole conflict.

Oh, MAN, is Reinhardt going to be ticked! This is not how he would have wanted the man he admired as his tactical rival to end out.
Jun 21, 2011 11:04 AM
Sep 2009
Like everyone else has said, this really was one of the most devastating, emotional episodes I've ever seen. Even though the narrator had already made it clear that something very bad was on the horizon for Yang, I still convinced myself until the very end that he would pull through or be saved at the last second. It really was like watching a good friend die; it hit me hard enough that I had to take a beak from the show just to absorb it, and there were definitely some (a lot) of tears.

Huge amount of respect for the creators for not only making the show still work after killing off one of such an important, interesting/likeable character, but also for giving him such a amazingly fitting exit for the kind of person he was instead of having him go out in a sterotpyical blaze of glory battle with Reinhard that I'm sure a lot of people expected and wanted.

I also liked the small detail of Yang taking the sleeping pills before going to the meeting. The show has always done a fantastic job of showing the little things that end up having huge effect, and this was one of the best instances of that since they didn't explicitly draw attention to it. If Yang had been at full alert, he may have figured out that something was suspicious instead of giving the go-ahead to let the Terraists board.
YanquiJun 21, 2011 11:11 AM
Jul 14, 2011 12:15 PM

Jan 2011
Aug 11, 2011 9:37 AM

Jan 2010
You know, as much as this show is praised for its "everything," I still think there were plenty of weak points and small boring stretches sprinkled throughout. However, no matter how I felt about any particular episode or arc, I always knew in the back of my head that Yang will come along eventually and be his lovable self, entertaining and enlightening me no matter what happens. I don't know what I'm going to do for 28 episodes knowing that Yang will never come and make the show for me ever again.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Aug 31, 2011 3:51 PM
Jun 2011
To be shot by some no name loser was really a terrible ending for such a great character. That's not a hot on the writers...I had just hoped he would make it out of that whacked scene. Couldn't he have elevated his wound above his heart so that he wouldn't bleed out? I'm asking because I don't know...but I would think it could buy enough time.
Sep 11, 2011 12:23 PM
Dec 2009
Grisle said:
To be shot by some no name loser was really a terrible ending for such a great character. That's not a hot on the writers...I had just hoped he would make it out of that whacked scene. Couldn't he have elevated his wound above his heart so that he wouldn't bleed out? I'm asking because I don't know...but I would think it could buy enough time.

Well, when you look at history, many famous/infamous people were killed by no named losers who never accomplished anything in their lives besides their single act of murder. I didn't enjoy Yang's death, but after thinking about it, it really makes a lot of sense. Sure it would have been pretty awesome to see Yang go out Trung Yu Chan style guns blazing, alcohol drinking, and saluting and all, but Yang's death was a good reminder that people are mortal and all it takes is a deranged group of lunatics to change history.
Sep 19, 2011 9:01 AM

Aug 2010
I'm so depressed even though I thought this would happen sooner or later :(
Yang, you'll be missed :( /cry
Oct 22, 2011 11:55 AM

Sep 2011
I once watched a fan made video about the foreshadowing of characters deaths. After I saw the final heart-to-heart talk between Julian & Yang, I was ' I know I've seen this somewhere' . Not to mention the shitty narrator kept on spoiling us

I shed manly tears, not because Yang died, but because of the reaction of his fellow crew members, particularly Fredirica.

The creators had the guts to kill almost-everyone's favorite character. Now, I'm gonna jumpship to Reinhard xD

I was angry and disappointed at the creators, but at the same time, totally applaud them for being such geniuses
LastExile_613.png
Nov 10, 2011 9:22 AM

Oct 2010
Probably going to be hated but oh well. I could careless if Yang died. I say its his own fault for not having ambition and he wouldnt be in that situation. Then again i wished Julian died instead of Yang.
Nov 10, 2011 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
yea, he died because he lacked ambition. Wait, that doesn't make any sense!
Nov 10, 2011 9:08 PM

Jul 2009
In a way he did. He could have taken power many times and never put himself in that position. Even near the end, he remained subservient to El Facil and their politicians and tried so hard not to be a military presence that he put his own life at risk. He had good ideological reasons for this, but more ruthless people could see that as a weakness.

That's cold to not care if he died though. People make mistakes and have flaws. Most deserve empathy. Especially as good a person and leader as Yang was. Oberstein your favorite character bonifide?
Nov 11, 2011 12:38 AM

Sep 2008
I beg to differ. Almost every character in the series who harbored ambition died anyway, mostly because of their massive egos and/or ambition. Yang would not have met a different fate if he was ambitious. Besides he was outnumbered from the beginning thanks to the FPA's stupidity somehow being more self destructive than the Imperials.
Yang's principles weren't just for nothing and his life wasn't wasted, as we see at the end, his affect on people and later events change things for the better, in some way at least.
Nov 11, 2011 1:41 PM

May 2010
koreye said:
I beg to differ. Almost every character in the series who harbored ambition died anyway, mostly because of their massive egos and/or ambition. Yang would not have met a different fate if he was ambitious. Besides he was outnumbered from the beginning thanks to the FPA's stupidity somehow being more self destructive than the Imperials.
Yang's principles weren't just for nothing and his life wasn't wasted, as we see at the end, his affect on people and later events change things for the better, in some way at least.

Honestly, with the amount of alcohol he consumes he wasn't fit to be a ruler anyways.
Nov 18, 2011 4:27 PM
Mar 2010
lul hes dead
Nov 19, 2011 1:06 AM

Sep 2008
Sadomatic said:
lul hes dead

Oh God you hater, I thought you already finished the show. Or you just didn't bother and spoiled yourself?
Nov 21, 2011 6:48 PM

May 2010
koreye said:
Sadomatic said:
lul hes dead

Oh God you hater, I thought you already finished the show. Or you just didn't bother and spoiled yourself?

He is a troll, look at his ratings.
Dec 19, 2011 8:47 PM
Feb 2011
I was going to sceam "NOOOOO" and take up a lot of space, but I think I'm ok now...

(T-T)

Strangely incredibly tense from the moment they were boarded by the Imperials. I don't know how this was staged, maybe loose cannon imperial grunts, or people all under the control of the earth cult, but either way... Yangs fucking dead. shit.

A humble death for a humble man. The cinematography of his death scene was really well done.

Fuck. Reinhard is gonna be fucking pissed.
Jan 23, 2012 11:36 PM

Sep 2009
I don't know.
....What?
That was just. So beautiful.
So disheartening.
So...emotionally overwhelming.

...-clicks play for episode 83 to make his mind do something other then be numb-
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.