Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 13, 2010 4:29 AM

Dec 2007
DBailey635 said:
Some unanswered questions:

* Sammy's user ID is listed on the computer record as sakisaka_690. Her AI is code:Eve… not code:Life. What's the significance of this?

* Someone in Time of Eve is broadcasting the instruction to local androids to come to the cafe… who? It may not be Nagi, as she denies that she brings anyone there.

I really loved this film, but was disappointed that some scenes from the ONA were cut, particularly the touching scene from the end where Rikuo's sister Naoko began treating Sammy more like a human.

Sakisaka = Rikuo's family name, which of course is shared by his entire household. The translation by the fansub is wrong.

It's not someone, but something. It's that notice board which shows the rule of the cafe. Refer to the credits for an image of Shiotsuki doing the programming of that board, and with the images with Nagi and Shiotsuki on the road, the board is always taken with them to set up the next incarnation of Time of Eve. Additionally, that board is also responsible for broadcasting the #1138 protocol. (Refer to Katoran or Tex's closeup view of the board, the background is full of the digits 1138.)
Oct 14, 2010 10:43 AM
Dec 2008
Ottocycle said:
Sakisaka = Rikuo's family name, which of course is shared by his entire household. The translation by the fansub is wrong.

Thanks. I've just updated Wikipedia and MAL, which were showing the wrong surname.
DBailey635Oct 14, 2010 11:21 AM
Oct 21, 2010 8:01 PM

Mar 2009
Let it be known, this is how you make a compilation film. The added scenes, despite their short length, greatly expanded on the ONA and, for me, cleared up a few things. I'm glad we got to learn more about Sammy and Nagi, especially. 10/10, just like the ONA.
Oct 22, 2010 12:30 PM

May 2008
Anything new to the story or it is just a compilation with some new scenes.
Oct 23, 2010 10:25 PM

Dec 2007
Soulstrider said:
Anything new to the story or it is just a compilation with some new scenes.
It is both.
Oct 27, 2010 2:18 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I absolutely loved it. I watched the previous episodes but it just feels different as a whole, even tho you know where they glued it together.

Still, amazing movie. Everything about it is just great. The animation, the detail, the dialogs, the imagination... Totally worth watching in full HD.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 27, 2010 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
an awesome series being even more awesome.
Nov 2, 2010 2:32 AM

Jul 2010
Just finished it and this is really great. Wondering if there will ever be a sequel of some sorts, I absolutely want more of this.
Nov 5, 2010 11:33 PM

Jan 2008
It was great to see it in one continuous siting. I forgot how engaging the stories were especially Katoran's. Lol. I rated the ONAs a 9 and the movie a 10.
Nov 7, 2010 3:18 PM

Aug 2010
Great anime, great story. It's not only interesting to watch because the relationships between human and robot are quite unique and are not often encountered in anime, but also because we are about to witness an explosion in robot industry. Recent achievements in this field only prove it. The only thing that disappointed me is the behavior of main hero (Rikuo). He acts like a retard, and can't put himself in android's shoes. Also those sudden bursts of rage are kinda...annoying. Looking forward for a 2nd movie\season.
LIquId4T0rNov 17, 2010 3:20 AM
Nov 11, 2010 8:11 AM

Jun 2009
1080p ThorA

---

I love how the bgmusic is used here. Indeed, music changes the mood a lot. It instills a sense of impending doom, and when you remove it, suddenly, all seriousness is gone.

I've got one question though. In anime physics, do your eye colour change when you grow older? The 5-year-old in the newspaper article has purplish/greyish eyes, while Nagi has green eyes. Just saying.
Nov 11, 2010 1:18 PM

Aug 2008
Just my hypothesis about Sammy - what if she was Nagi's companion robot destroyed in the accident and shown during ending credits? That could explain her flashback during system check (being destroyed by activists and reactiveted by Shiotsuki) and significance in the story. What do you think about it?
Nov 14, 2010 3:29 PM

Nov 2007
9/10.

Uhm can anyone tell me if the ONA's are worth watching even though i've completed the film?
Nov 15, 2010 3:37 PM

Sep 2008
cafe-kun said:
9/10.

Uhm can anyone tell me if the ONA's are worth watching even though i've completed the film?

To be honest, while the ONA is good on it's own, it's pretty much the same thing as the movie. And the movie has a few extra scenes. So maybe it's no longer necessary if you've seen the film.
Dec 12, 2010 4:21 PM

Nov 2007
idlezeal said:
cafe-kun said:
9/10.

To be honest, while the ONA is good on it's own, it's pretty much the same thing as the movie. And the movie has a few extra scenes. So maybe it's no longer necessary if you've seen the film.

thanks.
Dec 19, 2010 9:55 PM

Oct 2008
Ottocycle said:
DBailey635 said:
Some unanswered questions:

* Sammy's user ID is listed on the computer record as sakisaka_690. Her AI is code:Eve… not code:Life. What's the significance of this?

* Someone in Time of Eve is broadcasting the instruction to local androids to come to the cafe… who? It may not be Nagi, as she denies that she brings anyone there.

I really loved this film, but was disappointed that some scenes from the ONA were cut, particularly the touching scene from the end where Rikuo's sister Naoko began treating Sammy more like a human.

It's not someone, but something. It's that notice board which shows the rule of the cafe. Refer to the credits for an image of Shiotsuki doing the programming of that board, and with the images with Nagi and Shiotsuki on the road, the board is always taken with them to set up the next incarnation of Time of Eve. Additionally, that board is also responsible for broadcasting the #1138 protocol. (Refer to Katoran or Tex's closeup view of the board, the background is full of the digits 1138.)

What is this 1138 protocol you speak of?
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
- Robert Sewell
Dec 22, 2010 9:15 PM

Dec 2007
Liri said:

What is this 1138 protocol you speak of?
Backup priority order code for the eventual failure of the Androids' restraint circuits.

I think the subs available by Thora/Coalgirls/Chaos-MII mistranslated that last part with Ashimori and Setoro in her office. It was mentioned there when they were looking at loli-Nagi's newspaper report.

As usual, you might want to go get the O-L sub which explains it properly.
Jan 4, 2011 6:33 AM
Sep 2009
I believe there's a particular scene in the movie where a robot from the cafe went into the room where Nagi is in the credit. But I just couldn't remember and have been trying to find that particular scene. God someone help me and tell me when is this scene.

The movie is wonderful, and I'm really hoping that there's a sequel.
Feb 18, 2011 3:17 PM
Jan 2009
Decamper said:

From what I can gather,
That's Nagi's dad who has the robotic hand and voice. Nagi lost her arm when radicals attacked her and her robot

Ah!! I kind of worked out the rest, but I had completly forgoten about the radicals and the incident. Thanks for that!!

And yes, this needs a moar! When the credits started rolling I raged because I now have more questions than before...
Mar 6, 2011 3:43 PM

Jun 2009
Loved the new bits the movie added, especially the ending sequence with Kalafina and hints of Nagi’s past; even thought it basically left me more confused than I was before.

I’d always thought the girl on the newspaper wasn’t her since that girl’s eye color looks more like Sammy’s: grey instead of Nagi’s emerald ones. But there’s no doubt it has to be Nagi.

… And, maybe Sammy’s code:Eve AI was transplanted from the robot Nagi had with her when the radicals attacked…? Just writing random thoughts that make no sense, that’s it.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Mar 21, 2011 7:03 PM

Mar 2010
Was hoping the movie would give out more then just 90% recycled video. I really hope they do a season 2 or something. The original 6 episode deal left many unanswered questions at the end..this movie with its small extra seasons, (teases), just leave even more to.. Time of Eve is just to brilliant to let it end so short and unresolved. More than anything I wanted to see more happen between Sammy and Rikuo.
MoonFoxMar 21, 2011 7:34 PM
Mar 28, 2011 12:07 AM

Jun 2009
idlezeal said:
zinvince said:
Aironic You didn't enjoy the time of Eve

I believe Aironic had a point. It doesn't mean he didn't enjoy the movie; in fact he seems to love it as much as the ONA. It's just obviously that there's not much of an addition in here. I have to agree that this movie is an intended cash-in for the franchise. And I don't see anything wrong with that. At least it is an anime that deserves additional sales more than any moeblob or fanservice crap.

Well, he said he watched the ONA the night before watching the MOVIE.. and that's sure is a waste of time =D..
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Apr 6, 2011 9:23 PM

Jan 2008
Just recently watched this, but already had the movie sitting in my HD for a long while. Don't get me wrong. It's not that it's not interesting, in fact, I love this show even in the ONA. I wanted to make time for this and to watch this free from any pressures.

I really cried with Masaki and Tex story. It's touching and heart-warming. Even in the ONA, their story made a great impression on me.

Sammy, Nagi, Nagi's foster dad, and APC, on the other hand, left me with unanswered questions. I really hope there will be another installment to elaborate the details of the past/evolution of android, code: eve, etc.

And yes to the song during the credits, it's beautiful. I hope I can find it.
Apr 14, 2011 11:02 PM
Oct 2008
So this movie doesn't really add anything new plot-wise? Bah!!!!
Apr 29, 2011 1:16 PM

Dec 2008
Good movie. Didn't see the series but I may watch it sometime if there is going to be more.

Overall, 7 out of 10.

Apr 30, 2011 9:10 PM

Oct 2009
That was amazing. Part of it was a bit unrealistic and some of the emotions was somewhat forced but it was to be expected from a futuristique robot story.

I enjoyed it so, so much. Ahhh. I haven't seen the OVA before, I'm guessing I don't need to? Is it normal for me to feel a little bit confused as to what happened in Nagi's past?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2011 9:26 PM

May 2009
DoubleDango said:
I haven't seen the OVA before, I'm guessing I don't need to? Is it normal for me to feel a little bit confused as to what happened in Nagi's past?
I'm not sure of the exact differences but you won't miss much by not watching the OVA. I actually think the movie has some more scenes, like the part after the credits. But I suggest watching the OVA if you ever feel like rewatching it. Can't hurt, right? It's an amazing anime after all.

About Nagi's past, not much is known. Hell, I can't even recall if she's a human or a robot. I remember that the slideshow during the credits do show some of her backstory though.
Apr 30, 2011 9:40 PM

Oct 2009
I understand that she was involve in an accident because of the Ethics Committee at some point (plus that scene where she and the guy at the end were before a pile of broken androids that were probably a result of the accident).

I understand something about a café on the sea side that allowed androids and humans to be treated the same way as well.

I understand the guy Nagi is with at the end is related the the creation of androids. I understand Nagi is probably partially an android (probably because of the accident) (we see her android hand at the end of the movie).

I can't put it to words but I have a somewhat fuzzy understanding but I won't dig too much into it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2011 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
stAtic91 said:

About Nagi's past, not much is known. Hell, I can't even recall if she's a human or a robot. I remember that the slideshow during the credits do show some of her backstory though.

i believe she is a cyborg.
May 2, 2011 7:22 AM

Sep 2008
Finally got around to watching this.

Loved it. They combined the OVA and polished it off. Hoping for a sequel since there's still plenty they can do.
May 6, 2011 10:33 AM

Jun 2009
No wonder Nagi's so sympathetic towards androids and robots: she's got bits of them in her. I'd be devastated as well if I was in her position.

While the film lost the mysterious air and pacing that the ONA has, the extra scenes really boosted the development of the stories. I really felt for the characters this time around.
May 24, 2011 12:14 PM
Jan 2010
I thought the first half was boring as fuck, but the ending was kinda heartwarming.
Jun 29, 2011 7:26 AM

Aug 2010
This seriously got me thinking.....
Sep 20, 2011 1:56 AM

Aug 2010
This was a nice watch. Could have had more time for Sammy, I always hoped to see her interacting with Rikuo, but there weren't enough scenes of that in my opinion. The same with the Ethic Committee part, it was slice of life but promised a bit too much plot advancement and not delivering it. It could use another movie, I would definitely watch it, gets an 9/10 from me. Good stuff.
Mogami-kunSep 20, 2011 3:11 AM
Oct 30, 2011 3:28 AM

Oct 2011
eve no jikan was so superlatively great i can hardly express it - it was moving on so many levels - it serves on an amazing exposition of the pointlessness of prejudice between races or even life forms - i was in tears at several points - it showed love between friends, lovers, parents and children, etc. can cross over all boundaries - truly beautiful...
Nov 3, 2011 4:40 PM
Mar 2011
I'm really curious to know how did Sammy become Rikuo's android...
Nov 25, 2011 9:52 PM
Nov 2011
Beautiful. Much better than the OVA series, if I'm to say. Explained the things far better than the latter and thus was far better.
Jan 14, 2012 7:40 PM

Jun 2010
Don't understand why this is so well-received. Bored me terribly. Just seems like a bunch of shallow "robots are people too" stuff. That is a very worn sci-fi concept and this doesn't take it in any new direction.
Jan 14, 2012 7:52 PM

Dec 2007
Fronzel said:
Don't understand why this is so well-received. Bored me terribly. Just seems like a bunch of shallow "robots are people too" stuff. That is a very worn sci-fi concept and this doesn't take it in any new direction.

Can you name me another anime that is similar? I'm always on the look out for social commentary and Asimov stuff, so if this seemed shallow and worn to ya then you must know quite a few titles that handle similar themes, perhaps even better than Time of Eve did.
Jan 15, 2012 12:01 AM

Jun 2010
Meddigo said:
Fronzel said:

Can you name me another anime that is similar? I'm always on the look out for social commentary and Asimov stuff, so if this seemed shallow and worn to ya then you must know quite a few titles that handle similar themes, perhaps even better than Time of Eve did.

If it's anime you want, any of the Ghost in the Shell works do the whole "humanity's relationship with technology" and "blurred border between human and advanced machine" concepts much better.

But it's not just anime you should be thinking about. Stories about robots being as alive as humans have been written for decades and this one just plays the idea out straight as if the idea on its own is radical and fascinating.

It quotes Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, but a number of Asimov's stories go into clever directions based on robots' interpretation of the Laws. What does this do but add too much sentimentality? I lost it when Nagi hugged the comical tin can robot.
Jan 15, 2012 12:41 AM

Dec 2007
I suppose you're more after cyborgs then if you think Ghost in the Shell has anything at all to do with Time of Eve. I mean, sure, if you're more interested in combining man and machine in physical form rather than social form, then I can see why this wouldn't appeal to you.

As far as what this did... For one example, it explored a relationship between two robots where they're only together because each thinks that the other is human. Simply fascinating. The line between man and android is so thin that in the cafe, it's not only humans that can't tell one from another, but androids as well.
MeddigoJan 15, 2012 12:50 AM
Jan 15, 2012 12:32 PM

Jun 2010
Meddigo said:
I suppose you're more after cyborgs then if you think Ghost in the Shell has anything at all to do with Time of Eve.

I think you're putting too fine a point on itr; both series deal with the relationship between humans and machines. In GitS it's largely both combined in one person while in Tim of Eve they're separate.

Meddigo said:
As far as what this did... For one example, it explored a relationship between two robots where they're only together because each thinks that the other is human. Simply fascinating. The line between man and android is so thin that in the cafe, it's not only humans that can't tell one from another, but androids as well.

That was the best thing about this but I wish it hadn't taken 35 minutes of flustered teenage boy to get there. I think it was a mistake for me to go to the movie version. Apparently it's just the series pasted together and the pacing is as wonky as that makes it sound.

Now that I think about it, having the Three Laws make a robot try to make a good cup of coffee for the humans it prepares food for is kind of interesting, but I don't find the ultimate emotional reaction of the human (which is basically "thanks for the coffee") to be very interesting. Where does it follow that the robot can even appreciate gratitude? Unless it isn't gratitude that matters but feedback on how successfully their actions are conforming to the First Law.

That sounds pretty interesting but I don't think it gets around to going into it properly. It's too busy with those jumpy teenage boys and trying to pull limp surprises (she was a robot! His robot goes to the robot cafe!) and one of those plots where people in dark rooms talk to each other over the phone about things we don't understand because it won't give us context.
Jan 15, 2012 12:55 PM

Dec 2007
Fronzel said:
Where does it follow that the robot can even appreciate gratitude? Unless it isn't gratitude that matters but feedback on how successfully their actions are conforming to the First Law.

It's interesting that you bring that up because I had a somewhat-related question that I was able to ask the director back when Crunchyroll had a little Q&A with the director. The answer he gave me to my question gave a lot of insight into how he wanted to show the androids' motivations for their actions.
Q:My question has to deal with the limits of the android's actions. Are they able to do anything as long as it does not go against the Three Laws of Robotics, or do all of their actions have to be linked always to the Three Laws? Both Rina and Koji seemed to be rationalizing their actions by saying it was all to "help their master", which is what caused me to question the inherent restrictions they must deal with since they're androids.

A:I think this is an issue about how you interpret the three laws of robotics, but in fact, these three laws are more complex than you might expect. For example, take the first law of not doing harm to humans and not allowing humans to come to harm. The definition of “harm” is left unspecified. For example, highly developed artificial intelligence, it seems like it would be impossible to deal with everything about the three laws with just a little bit of thought. In actuality, I recall that in Asimov’s novels there are depictions that touch on the uncertainty in the definitions of these three laws.

So, this is how I think about androids when it comes to “Time of Eve.” It’s not that they are restricted by the three laws, but rather they pour all their energy into abiding by the three laws. Just like humans live with a goal in mind, androids devote all of their actions and thoughts to the aim of realizing the three laws. I think this answers the question, but what do you think?

Having a very rudimentary understanding of artificial intelligence and automata, the very core idea is that of a Finite State Machine, with a starting state, several paths to other states, and a designated final state. It was not hard for me to see that the director views that the 'final state' for androids in Time of Eve should always be one of the Three Laws, though which paths/actions the android takes to reach the final state is always fascinating in that it's entirely up to the discretion of the automaton. I think that was what the director was trying to show in Time of Eve. Some of the 'paths' chosen are very simplistic, such as Akiko's reasoning of how she didn't want to (emotionally) harm Rikuo and Masakazu. And some are much more abstract like Koji and Rena. I personally love these kinds of shows but I can also understand why the Ghost in the Shell franchise (which I also enjoy) would be a lot more appealing to some.
MeddigoJan 15, 2012 1:12 PM
Jan 22, 2012 11:07 PM

Aug 2007
Fronzel said:

Glad I'm not the only one who felt the same. I'm really starting to distrust these high-rated titles more and more as I go along.

It wasn't anything phenomenal, stories like these are a dime-a-dozen in scifi, if you ask me.

Mar 2, 2012 12:23 AM

Aug 2010
Liked this a lot. Saw the ONA yesterday and now the movie. I dig the OST and the characters a lot. Especially Sammy-chwaaan.
Mar 10, 2012 1:19 PM
Jul 2009
This was good times, but I felt like the ending left a lot to be desired. Having the pivotal point at the end of the movie be the resolution of second-fiddle Masaki+his housebot's plot rather than the resolution of the plot between Rikuo+Sammy, who looked like the main characters, was a bit weird.

Guess that's just to leave it open for more episodes though.
Mar 15, 2012 9:56 AM
Dec 2008
THIS MOVIE BLEW MY MIND IT WAS SO GOOOOD
cant believe i only saw this in 2012..
Apr 1, 2012 4:36 PM

Jan 2009
lol if only this has a real conclusion i would give it a perfect score of 10
and yes their is a big possibility of a sequel for this

nice story though and made me think the 3rd Law of robotics "protect yourself" is the cause of why Androids suddenly have human consciousness
by thinking of self protection they start to have fear (example is when shammy was abuse by some gangsters) that triggers worry and curiosity on their environment
Apr 4, 2012 5:22 PM

Jan 2011
I had no idea what i'm getting myself into when i started the player..

Are you enjoying the Time of Eve? I sure did, and i'm longing for more.
Apr 19, 2012 12:14 AM

Jul 2011
Utterly amazing, move over 'Girl who leapt through time' papa's got a brand new favorite anime movie.

I really liked how the cafe acted as a forum for discussions on robotic sentience, xenophobia, love, peer pressure & discrimination amongst other things. The directing was off the charts as well. I loved that scene where Rikuo & Sammy are walking home together in the rain underneath an umbrella. Then those girls walked passed and the scene transitions to Rikuo underneath the umbrella by himself while Sammy is getting soaked in the rain with an expressionless but almost sad look on her face.

I would give this a perfect score if it wasn't for the fact that i wanted closure on Rikuo & Sammy. While i guess Rikuo eventually embraced the idea of Sammy being a being, their master-servant dynamic still remained. When you factor in the ethics committee as well, this movie truly needs a sequel & i hope it gets one soon.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» OVA VS movie (the movie does NOT have all the scenes from OVA)

KaeDeeSss - May 11, 2015

10 by waalex11 »»
Jul 23, 2023 12:48 AM

» 8 years, no sequel

JuanBaldez - Jan 22, 2018

12 by waalex11 »»
Jul 22, 2023 9:26 PM

» is chie human?

SwordWielder - Nov 28, 2010

8 by scarvig »»
Oct 21, 2022 7:42 PM

» Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve)

KaeDeeSss - May 11, 2015

3 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 19, 2015 3:04 AM

» Eve no Jikan ONA or Movie?

JEEESHH - Sep 13, 2014

9 by JetFury »»
Jan 23, 2015 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.