Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting revelations this episode including experimentation and modified humans. While the first episode introduced to the premise of the story, this one captures the tone and story elements better.

It's kinda crazy how much shit Senya has to deal with. Lot of action and I'm impressed by the chereography. Also, after listening to the ED song again, it turns out to be much more emotional than I had anticipated.
Jan 17, 7:28 AM

Dec 2021
A unique pair of siblings travel far and wide, united in their quest to hunt down monsters is a good way to put this show.

The group of spiritual warrior monks known as Dangaishu battles against the forces of darkness. Jinka, Tama, and Shinsuke find themselves joining them in the fight against the darkness and the blazing rocks, just by happenstance. As they question the reason behind the rampage of the blazing rocks, they discover that its true identity is a spiritually enhanced modified human created through experiments at the Dangaishu headquarters. After a fierce battle, the trio manages to return the blazing rocks to human form. In order to address the wrongdoing of Dangaishu, they decide to launch a raid on the headquarters.

Shinsuke, the young one, has his sights set on apprenticing with the demon siblings. It's quite interesting, but could his journey be unexpectedly cut short by that eerie Staryu? The initially monstrous demon turns out to be a stunningly nude woman – a twist that always seems to happen.

I can't quite figure it out, but the way White Fox presents Jinka's fox form just makes it look so cool.

Jan 17, 9:12 AM

Feb 2021
The OP looks and sounds damn gooood
9:51 轟震天 (goushinten) - "roar shake heaven/sky"

10:02 土公拳 (dokouken) - "earth public/official fist"

I spoiled myself on Shakugan being a human and a girl by watching the trailers lol
She uses a first-person pronoun I've never heard about before, わたす (watasu). It's not even on the Japanese wikipedia page for Japanese first-person pronouns, so I guess it's something the author made up, like with Lum's "ccha" in Urusei Yatsura.
Why is Tama blushing everytime Jinka transforms or talks about it lmao
20:51 式神 (shikigami lit. ceremony god) - form of magic or divination (e.g. animating objects to act as the sorcerer's agent)​

The ED is good too.
This was really good! Honestly I think neither Jinka and co. or Dangaishuu are bad guys (or maybe I missed something?).
Jan 17, 9:51 AM

Apr 2021
Shinsuke is pretty annoying, always angry and loud. I hope he get stronger soon, he's only watching from the side line.

Still waiting for the emotional investment to kick in. I want to like this.
Jan 17, 10:11 AM

Jan 2018
The OP looks good. The ED too.

So, the damn warrior monks are evil in this show. They seem to be so obsessed with power that they're willing to do human experiments.

Shaku looks like a cute, ordinary village girl. It's unfortunate what she had to go through. Based on the OP, seems like she might become a part of the main cast which I don't mind.

I have a feeling we're gonna see that same transformation animation many times in this show.

Bruh. What did Jinka do to Tama to transform the second time? Why was Tama blushing? Come to think of it, they also looked sus in the OP. Just what kinda relationship are they in...?
Jan 17, 10:31 AM
Sep 2015
Shinsuke take off his shirt!
Jan 17, 11:52 AM

Nov 2013
- surprised the monster could so easily turn back to being human, interesting... pretty girl too
- her father sold her, he didn't need to show off such a creepy smile tho lol he still had the coins when she came back, killing him and some of the bully kids...deserved i guess
- the brother is crazy tho, he actually has fun beating people with that special power
- i still have fun looking at Tama's ears, they're cute

decent episode, managed to keep me slightly interested to keep watching another week
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 17, 12:05 PM
Jan 2023
Stark700 said:
Interesting revelations this episode including experimentation and modified humans. While the first episode introduced to the premise of the story, this one captures the tone and story elements better.

It's kinda crazy how much shit Senya has to deal with. Lot of action and I'm impressed by the chereography. Also, after listening to the ED song again, it turns out to be much more emotional than I had anticipated.

Senya? I think you mean someone else.
Jan 17, 12:45 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Damn, another cliffhanger. The OP and ED looks great and I'm liking the soundtrack.
Jan 17, 1:03 PM
Dec 2020
How is this show only a 7.03? Sure, plotwise not a lot has happened yet, as we are only at episode 2, but come on. If your average action isekai had such quality as the first two episodes of Sengoku Youko, it would've had a rating of at least 7.6 by now.
Jan 17, 1:10 PM

Feb 2019
Another banger episode, even better than the premiere to me.

That OP is INSANE. A bop for sure. One of my faves of the young winter season.

Whew, Shakugan deserved better. Tragic backstory and she was failed by everyone in her life. Her dad selling her off for money and not even acknowledging her when she came back from picking vegetables really annoyed me. No sympathy at all for what she did to him or her bullies while transformed.

For a religious order dedicated to spreading peace and teaching the ways of the Buddha, the monks are anything but. Human experimentation and taking advantage of poor people is some messed up shit. Glad the siblings are teaching them a lesson. But Jinka’s got his hands full. The combined strength of the monks is pretty formidable. Nice cliffhanger to leave off on!

Lowkey the transformation scenes are pretty erotic lol. Tama definitely gets a little kick out of Jinka licking her hand/drinking her blood. She was so flustered when he said he’d need more this time.

Shinsuke is so angry all the time. I hope he calms the insecurity down at some point.

Action scenes are really good so far, the animation is great, especially during moments like that scene of Tema shaking her head in front of the monks, and pacing seems good so far. Not understanding the low scoring other than people just mad that white fox are doing something besides RZ lol
Marinate1016Jan 17, 1:41 PM
Jan 17, 1:29 PM

Feb 2019
InNeedOfAName said:
Stark700 said:

Senya? I think you mean someone else.

He doesn’t really watch the episodes. Don’t pay it any mind
Jan 17, 2:38 PM
Aug 2020
it was another good episode

i really enjoy the animation

i like this adaptation, i was worried...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 17, 2:39 PM
Aug 2020
it was another good episode

i really enjoy the animation

i like this adaptation, i was worried...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 17, 2:50 PM
Apr 2022
Damn underrated anime of the season right here. Ed and op are amazing both are some of the better ones this season. The animation was crazy wtf? So much character acting for no reason
Jan 17, 3:05 PM
Dec 2020
I don't understand why this show is rated 7.02 (for now, when I'm posting this). I believe this show should be in the 7.40-7.60 range. I hope this is because people are waiting for this to be completed so that the rating goes higher at the end of the show. Just like Dark Gathering and Boku no Kokoro Yabai Yatsu S1, at the start of the series, they were in the 7-7.3 range, but just look at how high their rating is now.
Jan 17, 6:09 PM

Apr 2022
jeez the color pallette in the first half of the episode looked really great. second half was okay.
Jan 17, 6:12 PM
Jul 2023
Tama is chaotic as ever.

Really like the emphasis of characters outline during close up shot, its flesh out the art style quality even more.
Jan 17, 7:07 PM

Oct 2023
To be honest, I'd rather have the battle against the monks on the next episode.

Background music reminds me a lot of KOEI Tecmo's Dynasty / Samurai Warriors soundtracks.
Jan 17, 7:55 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to utopica
Shinsuke is pretty annoying, always angry and loud. I hope he get stronger soon, he's only watching from the side line.

Still waiting for the emotional investment to kick in. I want to like this.
@utopica these types of characters are best, you guys just want strong fkn mcs like goku...
Jan 17, 8:05 PM
Mar 2015
They saved the gril Now on to the monks who turned her into a monster
Jan 17, 8:09 PM

Oct 2022
That swordsman is just such a bad character at the moment, I hope he improves at some point, or this anime might become unwatchable purely because of him.

Jan 17, 8:27 PM

Jul 2008
Ok this was better than episode one. We got an us against the world vibe.

But I agree with everyone Shinsuke needs to be less dramatic.
Jan 17, 9:29 PM

Oct 2016
Decent episode with some cool action scenes. However, since I don’t know much about the power system, it’s difficult to get invested in any of the fights. They look pretty, I don’t feel any tension in the battles yet. The ending was a cliffhanger, but I don’t really feel worried for Jinka’s safety, because he’s probably got a power I don’t know about to deal with that last attack. This is a very early judgment as we are only 2 episodes in, but I really hope we get more of a deep dive into the power system and character motivations in general. (6/10)
Jan 17, 10:22 PM

Sep 2013
Why are they making it weird when Jinka needs Tama's blood everytime he needs to transform?
Jan 17, 10:23 PM

Mar 2015
Great show lol it's like I'm watching Inuyasha again. Now all we need is a monk and a ninja to join the party.
Jan 18, 12:05 AM
Dec 2023
MC got waifu now it`s time to get some use
Jan 18, 12:18 AM

Oct 2022
Shaku went through a lot. However, I am a bit surprised they wanted to help her, since their mission is to save actual humans and all.
UndefeatedBahamut
Jan 18, 2:32 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to cableguyjay
That swordsman is just such a bad character at the moment, I hope he improves at some point, or this anime might become unwatchable purely because of him.
@cableguyjay How exactly are you guys judging characters lol? Is the judgement purely based on how strong he is? Because that type of shallow thinking would close a lot of doors for you.
Jan 18, 2:34 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to HotRodster
Decent episode with some cool action scenes. However, since I don’t know much about the power system, it’s difficult to get invested in any of the fights. They look pretty, I don’t feel any tension in the battles yet. The ending was a cliffhanger, but I don’t really feel worried for Jinka’s safety, because he’s probably got a power I don’t know about to deal with that last attack. This is a very early judgment as we are only 2 episodes in, but I really hope we get more of a deep dive into the power system and character motivations in general. (6/10)
@HotRodster Stop underrating the show just because you don't get everything in the first 2 episodes. Let stories take their time so you don't get the generic isekais with overpowered MCs cookie cutters. Half of the comments complaining don't even address the series itself.
Jan 18, 3:32 AM
Oct 2019
OP by MindaRyn, let's go!!

God damn Shakugan was actually a cute little girl?
Damn dad sell her daughter like that? Bruhh

Omg is that Kenjiro Tsuda?
Hell YES, he in this Anime as well.

Great episode, the fight scene choreography was really nice.

WHITE FOX IS BACK BABY!!
Jan 18, 5:06 AM

Oct 2016
Reply to Shiraori247
@HotRodster Stop underrating the show just because you don't get everything in the first 2 episodes. Let stories take their time so you don't get the generic isekais with overpowered MCs cookie cutters. Half of the comments complaining don't even address the series itself.
@Shiraori247 I am letting the story take its time, that's why I haven't dropped it.
Jan 18, 8:16 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Shiraori247
@Shiraori247 Aren't you doing the same...but in the opposite way? Overrating a series based on two episodes.

I don't want everything answered in the beginning, but at least give me some interesting set-ups or hints for future developments. Show me that there is more going on than what meets the eye.

Jan 18, 8:53 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to utopica
@Shiraori247 Aren't you doing the same...but in the opposite way? Overrating a series based on two episodes.

I don't want everything answered in the beginning, but at least give me some interesting set-ups or hints for future developments. Show me that there is more going on than what meets the eye.

@utopica I'm not doing the same thing because I didn't rate the series at all. You're simply hating for the sake of hating if you're underrating a series without actually discussing tangible elements within the plot. Using generic descriptions like "at least give me something" does not add anything to the experience of someone who's trying to find out if a show is good or not.

There are plenty of worldbuilding and character development displayed within the episode as seen in the more rational comments above. Shinsuke fights against oppression as seen in his backstory and despite being a coward, could stand up to stronger opponents if the cause is right. Jinka hates humans despite being one. Tama loves humans despite being a supernatural fox. There are plenty of literary devices used already and you fail to discuss any of these. That's why I'm calling you guys out for being shallow.
Jan 18, 9:21 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Shiraori247
@utopica I'm not doing the same thing because I didn't rate the series at all. You're simply hating for the sake of hating if you're underrating a series without actually discussing tangible elements within the plot. Using generic descriptions like "at least give me something" does not add anything to the experience of someone who's trying to find out if a show is good or not.

There are plenty of worldbuilding and character development displayed within the episode as seen in the more rational comments above. Shinsuke fights against oppression as seen in his backstory and despite being a coward, could stand up to stronger opponents if the cause is right. Jinka hates humans despite being one. Tama loves humans despite being a supernatural fox. There are plenty of literary devices used already and you fail to discuss any of these. That's why I'm calling you guys out for being shallow.
Shiraori247 said:
I'm not doing the same thing because I didn't rate the series at all
So Am I just imagining the fact that you already rated the show as a 10 on your profile?

Shiraori247 said:
You're simply hating for the sake of hating
Further above I stated that I want to like this show, but just don't feel any emotional investment yet. Just because I don't praise it, doesn't mean I hate it.

Shiraori247 said:
Using generic descriptions like "at least give me something" does not add anything to the experience of someone who's trying to find out if a show is good or not.

I mean, I'm not writing a review here. It's totally valid to just state something you enjoyed or are bothered by. And if it leads to a discussion afterwards, great.
Mhh, are you looking in episode discussions to find out if you want to watch a show or not? It's more something to do after watching it.
But I guess, if someone isn't hindered by being spoiled you could.

But yeah, you're right, it was pretty generic. My bad^^
Jan 18, 11:04 AM

Mar 2019
In this main trio, one is more annoying than the other... :v
the ending theme is sung by Keiko, I hadn't heard of her since Kalafina ended. :'3
Jan 18, 12:01 PM
Sep 2012
A dark horse of this season. It looks average at times, but then it drops some really cool visuals/animation, showing that this anime might actually have a good budget.
Jan 18, 2:49 PM

Mar 2023
Start is just ok, but I can tell from the feel of it that this show will be one of the best of the season.
Shinsuke has a lot of potential, can't wait to see how he develops
Jan 18, 6:38 PM

Feb 2011
the fox spirit MC is so cute, and i hate to drop series that have promise, but 37 episodes... Nah.

MCs are cool and all, the story has promise, but i don't get giddy or look forward to this show coming out at all.

Dropped.

Jan 18, 7:16 PM

Nov 2008
Reply to Stark700

@Stark700 - Senya hasn't shown up yet (other than in the opening animation)
Jan 18, 7:16 PM
Aug 2019
Just the feels it gives you from watching the OP alone is worth the watch.. I know the rest of the season is just gonna to keep getting better and better..

There are alot of good anime this season so this one is getting over shadowed cuz it didnt have this super amazing first episode and its sad..

Definitely underrated and under appreciated
Jan 18, 7:27 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Episode was a bit more gripping this week. Happy we are getting a full adaptation. Excited to see where the show goes.
Jan 18, 8:24 PM

Mar 2015
i will say, as a big fan of the manga, anime viewers are missing out on some amazing action artwork and expressive poses and, uh, expressions that show up throughout mizukami's work. anime doesn't compare in that aspect, though of course seeing it in motion and voice acting is going to be a big benefit for some. the story only improves from here (iirc i remember really liking it starting volume 3-4, which'll be in a few episodes) but its a shame white fox isn't perfectly suited to mizukami's somewhat offbeat art style. but hey, better than the lucifer adaptation, that's for sure.

a couple comparisons below:

the above is treated way more seriously in today's episode. it's an honest response from the character and there's emotional weight to it, but mizukami's expressions lend it a bit of levity, especially with jinka's little response panel.

here basically 90% of this is removed. i'll admit it's just mizukami putting his own fetish in the manga, as many authors do, but its funny to see it left to just a "blush" in the anime when it's a bit more.. explicit in the manga.

and here's a couple of action moments from this episode which i don't think look as impressive in the anime. in the first, you get a really thunderous "bang" of the punch landing that's not really replicated by the slow build-up tracking shot of the fist in the anime. in the second, you get to see a bit more of the destruction of the surrounding area-in the anime, his fist curves the other way instead so that it can punch down and avoid having to show all that debris.

not trying to hate though-it's cool seeing everything in motion, and there are plenty of moments where the animators have added gags or dialogue which make up for or replace the style they're not able to replicate. for instance, tama interrupting shinsuke with a punch while they're talking to the monks or her standing on his head while they're making plans to invade their castle are anime-original.

excited to see where this goes! seems like we'll finish volume 1 next episode. as i said, this show only gets better as it goes on-i wasn't that into it for its first few chapters. to those worrying about characters not developing or not being interesting yet, don't worry, that's not far off! just a slow start is all.
nyahgustJan 18, 8:29 PM
Jan 19, 2:30 AM

Sep 2019
Reply to nyahgust
i will say, as a big fan of the manga, anime viewers are missing out on some amazing action artwork and expressive poses and, uh, expressions that show up throughout mizukami's work. anime doesn't compare in that aspect, though of course seeing it in motion and voice acting is going to be a big benefit for some. the story only improves from here (iirc i remember really liking it starting volume 3-4, which'll be in a few episodes) but its a shame white fox isn't perfectly suited to mizukami's somewhat offbeat art style. but hey, better than the lucifer adaptation, that's for sure.

a couple comparisons below:

the above is treated way more seriously in today's episode. it's an honest response from the character and there's emotional weight to it, but mizukami's expressions lend it a bit of levity, especially with jinka's little response panel.

here basically 90% of this is removed. i'll admit it's just mizukami putting his own fetish in the manga, as many authors do, but its funny to see it left to just a "blush" in the anime when it's a bit more.. explicit in the manga.

and here's a couple of action moments from this episode which i don't think look as impressive in the anime. in the first, you get a really thunderous "bang" of the punch landing that's not really replicated by the slow build-up tracking shot of the fist in the anime. in the second, you get to see a bit more of the destruction of the surrounding area-in the anime, his fist curves the other way instead so that it can punch down and avoid having to show all that debris.

not trying to hate though-it's cool seeing everything in motion, and there are plenty of moments where the animators have added gags or dialogue which make up for or replace the style they're not able to replicate. for instance, tama interrupting shinsuke with a punch while they're talking to the monks or her standing on his head while they're making plans to invade their castle are anime-original.

excited to see where this goes! seems like we'll finish volume 1 next episode. as i said, this show only gets better as it goes on-i wasn't that into it for its first few chapters. to those worrying about characters not developing or not being interesting yet, don't worry, that's not far off! just a slow start is all.
@nyahgust so in your opinion, should i read the manga first or wait till i watch finish the anime then read the manga?
Jan 19, 5:51 AM

Mar 2015
Reply to BuddhaIsBetter
@nyahgust so in your opinion, should i read the manga first or wait till i watch finish the anime then read the manga?
@BuddhaIsBetter i mean that's up to you, i think both are worthwhile. i really love mizukami's artwork so i'd recommend any/all of his big 3 manga (lucifer, sengoku, and spirit circle) but if you like how the anime is i think it's been a solid adaptation so far so there's no big reason to double-up. these are just my observations as a big manga fan. can always read it years down the line once you forget bits from the anime and wanna experience the story again :)
Jan 19, 6:30 AM

Oct 2008
ED song feels like it was performed by Kalafina! it gives me awesome shivers!
haha so many monks its like one man army! an army of monks struggling against 1 opponent! haha
4/5.

Jan 19, 9:48 AM
Jul 2021
AlluringProxima said:
Why are they making it weird when Jinka needs Tama's blood everytime he needs to transform?

I agree it’s super uncomfortable. The premise has my interest but I hope the show doesn’t add some weird loli thing.
Jan 19, 2:03 PM

Jul 2021
I'm now a little more willing to give this show a chance.

While not super-polished, the art and animation are fun and exciting. That final combined beam attack from an army of monks going "GO-SHIN-TEN!" over the battle music was pretty awesome. Not to mention the ensuing explosion, very pretty.

The samurai kid continues to be pretty irritating. Characters are allowed to be brash and naive, but this guy is much too loud and getting in people's faces. I was glad when Youko kicked him in the face just to shut him up.
Jan 19, 2:49 PM
Mar 2019
That's two episodes now with combat cliffhangers. Looks like that is the pattern of this series.
Jan 19, 4:55 PM
Jan 2023
matias067 said:
ED song feels like it was performed by Kalafina! it gives me awesome shivers!
haha so many monks its like one man army! an army of monks struggling against 1 opponent! haha
4/5.

It was produced by Kajiura and sung by Keiko, who are both former Kalafina members so that's probably why the song reminded you of Kalafina.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sengoku Youko: Yonaoshi Kyoudai-hen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 3

65 by Sugram22 »»
May 8, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

81 by TechOtaku »»
May 7, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 24

41 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 10

89 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko: Yonaoshi Kyoudai-hen Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 27

41 by metatron13 »»
Apr 7, 6:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.