Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 27, 2011 12:39 PM

Jun 2011
HisokaHajime said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I see you still have a lot of them to still tackle yourself. It truly is a remarkable genre.

They really are an amazing collection of gems, and the World Masterpiece Theater just adds such fresh and different material to the medium that you rarely see in anime. I indeed do have many of them to tackle myself, too, yes. I wish that more of them were fansubbed or available in English in their entirety, I really would love to see all of them.
Aug 27, 2011 2:48 PM

Feb 2008
KaiZodd said:
HisokaHajime said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I see you still have a lot of them to still tackle yourself. It truly is a remarkable genre.

They really are an amazing collection of gems, and the World Masterpiece Theater just adds such fresh and different material to the medium that you rarely see in anime. I indeed do have many of them to tackle myself, too, yes. I wish that more of them were fansubbed or available in English in their entirety, I really would love to see all of them.

Luckily it's a great time to be a WMT fan with Takara fansubs and Licca-subs really knocking some of them out with amazing speed, along with some other groups that are going to hopefully finish up more, or re-release some with better subs. I'm really hoping something works out with C1anime and Perrine, they've done an excellent job with Daddy Long Legs so it'd be great to see Perrine again with improved subs.
Aug 27, 2011 4:21 PM

Jun 2011
I didn't realize they were subbing World Masterpiece Theater titles lately! I'll have to check that out right away.
Aug 27, 2011 5:00 PM

Feb 2008
Indeed! I think we're a little behind on the subbing thread, but here's both their blogs to keep an eye on:
http://takara-fansubs.blogspot.com/
http://liccafansubs.blogspot.com/

Takara has completed: Nobody's Boy Remi and Treasure Island (not really WMT, but Dezai!), and now they're well on their way to finishing up Romeo's Blue Skies for a better release than the old one out there, the official WMT girl version of Remy from the 90's, and Ashita no Joe 2

Licca has completed Les Miserables and A Little Princess Sara, and they're working on Little Women II - Jo's Boys and Pollyanna now.

So a lot to keep an eye on! Hope that helps.
Aug 27, 2011 7:40 PM

Jun 2011
Man, why wasn't I keeping up with these fansubbers? They're my freakin heroes. Ashita no Joe 2? Thank GOD! I've been waiting ages to watch that!
Sep 22, 2011 1:03 PM

Jun 2009
Alright, so I got Legend of the Galactic Heroes Spiral Labyrinth (the only part of the series, aside from the movie that summarizes the first 2 episodes of the main series, that I have yet to finish) and the first Captain Harlock series as my next choices to watch. So...which one do you guys recommend first?

Of course, I have Perrine waiting in the wings. But, I'll wait for that to finish downloading first.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 22, 2011 2:50 PM

Feb 2008
May as well flip a coin, heh. I still need to see Spiral Labyrinth myself, but the first Harlock series was definitely awesome stuff and pretty out there (usual weird Matsumoto stuff).
Sep 22, 2011 3:42 PM

Feb 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Alright, so I got Legend of the Galactic Heroes Spiral Labyrinth (the only part of the series, aside from the movie that summarizes the first 2 episodes of the main series, that I have yet to finish) and the first Captain Harlock series as my next choices to watch. So...which one do you guys recommend first?

Of course, I have Perrine waiting in the wings. But, I'll wait for that to finish downloading first.
Go for Captain Harlock! I'm a big fan of LOGH but you should watch that classic space opera first!
Sep 22, 2011 4:37 PM

Jun 2009
Okay, then. I guess I'll go with Harlock. I've been saving Spiral Labyrinth for when I absolutely don't have anything to watch and I'll have it because I know it'll be great. So, Harlock it is.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2011 2:03 AM

Feb 2010
The WMT series stick to their source materials and are a joy to watch. While I feel that these stories are better READ, I can't think of any television as wholesome as WMT. I've been collecting what I can for my nieces and when the day comes, my own kids. The folks who quietly sub these shows have my utmost thanks.
Oct 18, 2011 3:26 PM

Jun 2009
Alright between Daddy Long Legs, Little Princess Sara, Romeo no Aoi Sora, and Perrine Montogatari which one do you guys recommend first of all?

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2011 4:37 PM

Nov 2007
ALL of them. :)

Romeo and Perrine are about neck and neck for me. A Little Princess Sara I'd rank 3rd and then Daddy Long Legs. You can't go wrong either way though.
Oct 18, 2011 7:43 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I actually do have them all on my hard drive so I actually do plan on watching all of them. In any case, I guess I'll go with Daddy Long Legs and work my way up to either Perrine or Romeo.

Thanks.

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2011 8:11 PM

Nov 2007
Love that approach. Most would have gone in the other order heh.
Oct 19, 2011 1:33 PM

Feb 2008
HisokaHajime said:Love that approach. Most would have gone in the other order heh.

Who you talking about Willis!

Can never go wrong with any WMT. I've seen Daddy Long Legs myself and Perrine. Perrine is my favorite up there with Nobody's Boy Remi and Les Miserables so far, but Daddy Long Legs was very good as well. Just don't let the first episode trick you, haha, it was very over the top and goofy for WMT standards (I'd guess), but yeah then it gets a bit more normal from there. Man I loved the music in that one.

EDIT: Oh you're already into DLL now, hehe. Nice, let us know what you think sometime. It's a bit more easier going and heartwarming than the others I've seen so far, the intensity of the other shows is what makes me like them just a tad bit more, but nothing wrong with DLL. Judy was great stuff.
Nov 3, 2011 2:57 PM

Aug 2011
Probably not as underground as any other anime recommended, but I really enjoyed Skull Man. Of course, it's not without it's flaws, but it's more than just worth watching.
Nov 3, 2011 4:28 PM

Feb 2010
Tiago97 said:
Probably not as underground as any other anime recommended, but I really enjoyed Skull Man. Of course, it's not without it's flaws, but it's more than just worth watching.
My friend Skull Man is not an old school anime... It's a really good anime in my opinion but it's not to be recommended here.
Nov 4, 2011 12:10 AM

Aug 2011
Anakin1981 said:
Tiago97 said:
My friend Skull Man is not an old school anime... It's a really good anime in my opinion but it's not to be recommended here.

Heh, wasn't sure if it had to be Old School. Of course I suspected, but still.
Well, the first manga came out in the 70s, so it should count, in some way.
Tiago97Nov 4, 2011 12:20 AM
Nov 4, 2011 4:33 AM

Jun 2009
Tiago97 said:
Anakin1981 said:
Tiago97 said:

Heh, wasn't sure if it had to be Old School. Of course I suspected, but still.
Well, the first manga came out in the 70s, so it should count, in some way.

With the manga and anime, Skull Man, it is really confusing, as it counts as a prequel for Cyborg 009. I watched Skull Man before Cyborg 009 and that actually helped in some way as it made the things more connected. I think it's the case of two different timelines: one for mangas and another for anime series.
Nov 4, 2011 6:49 AM

Aug 2011
konnakude said:
With the manga and anime, Skull Man, it is really confusing, as it counts as a prequel for Cyborg 009. I watched Skull Man before Cyborg 009 and that actually helped in some way as it made the things more connected. I think it's the case of two different timelines: one for mangas and another for anime series.

Basically, the first manga was a one-shot, from Shotaro Ishinomori that came out in 1970. Before his death he called Kazuhiko Shimamoto to remake it. And so he did, between 1998 and 2001. Then the anime of the remake came out in 2007.

I think that's it. As for the timelines, can't really help you with that. I haven't read/seen 'em all.
Nov 4, 2011 7:30 AM

Jun 2009
Tiago97 said:
konnakude said:

Basically, the first manga was a one-shot, from Shotaro Ishinomori that came out in 1970. Before his death he called Kazuhiko Shimamoto to remake it. And so he did, between 1998 and 2001. Then the anime of the remake came out in 2007.

I think that's it. As for the timelines, can't really help you with that. I haven't read/seen 'em all.

Thank you for the information! I've not read manga as I'm not exactly a manga person but I've seen the anime series and movies. There was a remake of Cyborg 009 anime series in 2011 as well. I can highly recommend to watch the Cyborg 009 series if you liked Skull Man. XD
Nov 4, 2011 7:54 AM

Aug 2011
konnakude said:
There was a remake of Cyborg 009 anime series in 2011 as well.
It didn't come out yet, it was only annouced that there would be a movie called 009 Re:Cyborg with it's director being Kamiyama Kenji, most famous for Ghost in the Shell.
Here's the MAL thread about it.

Gotta love off-topic.
Nov 4, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2009
Tiago97 said:
konnakude said:
It didn't come out yet, it was only annouced that there would be a movie called 009 Re:Cyborg with it's director being Kamiyama Kenji, most famous for Ghost in the Shell.

Gotta love off-topic.

Sorry, put one extra 1 in the release year too much, lol. Of course, I meant Cyborg 009 (2001) series! :P
Nov 4, 2011 3:24 PM
Mar 2011
konnakude said:
Tiago97 said:
konnakude said:

Gotta love off-topic.

Sorry, put one extra 1 in the release year too much, lol. Of course, I meant Cyborg 009 (2001)
series! :P

no it was not that good madr after ishinomori died so its no consultation with ceator meatn anmie not a close the manga
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 5, 2011 7:30 PM

Jun 2009
Akai-Ryuusei said:

no it was not that good madr after ishinomori died so its no consultation with ceator meatn anmie not a close the manga

Even if only the half of the series was properly subbed and the other half had HK subs, I still felt that Cyborg 009 (2001) could transfer this underlying feeling of sadness, like in the original.
Jan 8, 2013 6:09 PM

Jun 2010
I need recommendations for an old school romance anime, especially movies and OVAs.
Just what i need a random list of anime titles.
Jan 9, 2013 3:31 PM

Apr 2008
ShinGundam said:
I need recommendations for an old school romance anime, especially movies and OVAs.
Just what i need a random list of anime titles.

Here's some very good titles that you haven't added on your list;
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Ai Monogatari: 9 Love Stories
Slow Step
Nineteen 19
Sekai Meisaku Douwa: Hakuchou no Mizuumi
Koushoku Ichidai Otoko
Rurouni Kenshin: Ishinshishi e no Requiem
The Star of Cottonland

For some reason you seem to have missed Miyazaki titles on your list, though not being exclusively romantic titles, you can find romance in them:
Lupin III: Cagliostro no Shiro
Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
Porco Rosso
Whisper of Heart (from 1995 but follows the line on Miyazaki/Ghibli romance)

You didn't really ask for it but, if you're into romance series, which it seems that you are, you should definitely check this World Masterpiece Theater series:
My Daddy Long Legs
Jan 9, 2013 8:09 PM

Jun 2010
Thanks RobdeFR.
I'm looking forward to all of them especially Slow Step, The Star of Cottonland and My Daddy Long Legs.
Jan 9, 2013 9:12 PM

Feb 2012
I was thinking of watching Akage no Anne sometime in the near future. However, there is also the newer prequel series and I could use an opinion on it. Should I watch it first or not, if I'm going to watch them both anyway (with some time in between most likely)?
Jan 10, 2013 12:45 AM

Apr 2008
Well, the prequel is really based on a new novel made to celebrate the centenary of Anne story, so it comes off as more of a tribute.

I don't think there is harm if you watch them in either way, but I'd normally recommend people to watch the works as they were chronologically released, after all, most of us did watch it that way.

Anyway keep in mind that one of the series was directed by Isao Takahata and had Miyazaki in the animation department until some point, so that alone makes it unfair for the other series since the very beginning.
RobdeFRJan 11, 2013 4:00 PM
Jan 19, 2013 2:57 AM

Mar 2008
Hey everyone:)
Just joined this club, since I'd like to start with watching Old School Anime.
What I'm looking for would be more of a slice-of-life series, preferably of a girl growing up (coming-of-age), experiencing hardships along the way (including the ones regarding love, but I don't want the main focus to be romance), and maybe the main character travels ... (?)

(by the way, I still remember I used to watch Heidi, The Moomins, Nils Holgersson and Alfred J. Quack when I was small.)
Jan 22, 2013 7:39 AM

Apr 2008
precious said:
What I'm looking for would be more of a slice-of-life series, preferably of a girl growing up (coming-of-age), experiencing hardships along the way (including the ones regarding love, but I don't want the main focus to be romance), and maybe the main character travels ... (?)

(by the way, I still remember I used to watch Heidi, The Moomins, Nils Holgersson and Alfred J. Quack when I was small.)

Hello there and welcome to the club.

My Daddy Long Legs, as I recommended some posts ago, seems to fit some of your criteria. I'm sure you'll love it.
Aug 27, 2013 3:37 AM

Apr 2008
I have just finished Georgie, and somehow I'd like to see more with the year 24-ish classy shoujo style. I have Onisama e on my radar so far, but is there anything more (that I haven't watched yet) with the same art style?
Aug 27, 2013 11:09 AM

Jul 2010

I know some good anime!

Ie Naki Ko Remi (1997 version, the 1977 version is the boy version)
Fancy Lala
Pastel Yumi
Perrine Monogatari
Lucy May of the Southern Rainbow
Little Princess Sara
Aug 27, 2013 7:08 PM

Aug 2011
Firechick12012 said:

I know some good anime!

Ie Naki Ko Remi (1997 version, the 1977 version is the boy version)
Fancy Lala
Pastel Yumi
Perrine Monogatari
Lucy May of the Southern Rainbow
Little Princess Sara

I'd also add Akage no Anne.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Sep 22, 2013 2:12 AM

May 2010
Does anyone know any good cyberpunk/SF hidden gems from the 80's - early 90's? I found most of them, like Bubblegum Crisis, Cyber City Oedo or Armitage III by chance.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Sep 22, 2013 2:20 PM

Jan 2010
Iria Zeiram might interest you.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Sep 25, 2013 2:20 PM

May 2010
Saw the first two OVA's and so far I like what I'm seeing. Reminds me a lot of Battle Angel Alita for some reason.

What can you tell me about Dirty Pair? I usually see it paired with Bubblegum Crisis and that's one of my favourite shows ever.

Sep 25, 2013 8:42 PM

Feb 2008
Definitely look into Gall Force.
Sep 28, 2013 1:48 AM

Jan 2010
Yeah Gall Force is fun. Dirty Pair, try the movie Project Eden first. Then if you find the original series a bit boring, try also Dirty Pair Flash. Some people like one of them, or both. I see you added Gunbuster too, definitely watch that first :) . And don't forget Wicked City.
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
Sep 30, 2013 3:03 PM
Sep 2011
Area 88 (OVA), for a great experience.
Oct 4, 2013 5:36 AM

Mar 2012
AnimeCrusader said:
Area 88 (OVA), for a great experience.

yep - sublime
Mar 1, 2014 3:56 AM

Mar 2012
Here is something I would recommend - I did it last night and I found it most enjoyable:

Bubblegum Crisis OVAs

Put on the opening sequence/first 5 minutes approx. of each OVA one after the other.
Utter audio visual amaze.

- Oh, and maybe watch first 10 minutes or so of Streets Of Fire also :)
r4ytraceMar 1, 2014 4:07 AM
Apr 28, 2014 6:23 PM
Apr 2014
Hey!
I wanted to ask for reccomendations on fantasy / sci-fi movies, series and OVAs from the 80s and 90s with simple and catchy heroic plot, archetypal characters and glimpse of retro-futurism as an additional option.
It would be cool to mention something here as an example but I don't remember any titles. Demon invasions, saving the world, hostile aliens and so on will definitely do.
Apr 28, 2014 7:08 PM

Nov 2011
@asyoucan

Heres some choices you may find interesting:

- Windaria - Essentially Macbeth meets Romeo and Juliet with some Nausicaa thrown in, its a beautifully animated fantasy drama with a somber atmosphere and dark themes.

- Bride of Deimos - A very nicely animated OVA which feels like a Twilight Zone episode, in terms of its usage of horror and sci fi themes.

- MD Geist - If your looking for something with a bit of a cheesy feeling to it, I'd recommend this. Its like Mad Max with mecha, storyline wise, its retarded, but the action is alot of fun, plus features Hiranobu Kageyama doing the music.

- Cyber City Oedo 808 - If you want a show with an explotation Tarantino vibe, this is worth a shot, plus features some nice action and a hilarious English dub.

Hope these were helpful.
May 2, 2014 3:29 PM
Apr 2014
Klonoa79H said:
@asyoucan

Heres some choices you may find interesting:

- Windaria - Essentially Macbeth meets Romeo and Juliet with some Nausicaa thrown in, its a beautifully animated fantasy drama with a somber atmosphere and dark themes.

- Bride of Deimos - A very nicely animated OVA which feels like a Twilight Zone episode, in terms of its usage of horror and sci fi themes.

- MD Geist - If your looking for something with a bit of a cheesy feeling to it, I'd recommend this. Its like Mad Max with mecha, storyline wise, its retarded, but the action is alot of fun, plus features Hiranobu Kageyama doing the music.

- Cyber City Oedo 808 - If you want a show with an explotation Tarantino vibe, this is worth a shot, plus features some nice action and a hilarious English dub.

Hope these were helpful.

You cannot even imagine how. Thanks a lot, man.
Jul 31, 2014 4:29 AM

May 2010
Good day. I recently started Season 2 of Code Geass and boy oh boy is it good. Any similar shows in terms of main character, story and (maybe the most important) mechs that are not tall as a building and don't destroy an entire city? I mean I don't mind mechs but I don;t like them being the center of the story.

Jan 3, 2015 8:27 AM

Jul 2011
What are some good delinquent series similar to Sakigake Otokojuku and Diamond is Unbreakable? I don't know if I'd really call it a genre but I seem to really enjoy stuff along these lines and would like to get into more of it. There's just something awesome about the badass jackets and the crazy hair. Just any anime/manga that has this general vibe/setting/characters would be cool. I've seen Cromartie and GTO btw.
KellhusJan 3, 2015 8:31 AM
Jan 3, 2015 12:15 PM

Jan 2010
Oh, I also love these. Young GTO, Kyou kara Ore wa and Sukeban Deka are pretty good.
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
Jan 5, 2015 7:35 PM

Jul 2011
Thanks man, Kyou kara Ore wa seems like exactly what I'm looking for.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2256 by RobdeFR »»
May 2, 10:19 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.