Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2010 12:28 AM

Jul 2009
^ Exactly, people who are exposed to radiation will not be able to live that long. That incident took place 6-7 years ago according to him, so I doubt he can survive for 6 straight years with radiation in his body, but oh well, my most cordial gratitude for providing me some worthy entertainment though ;)

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Apr 19, 2010 12:56 AM

Nov 2008
Man, that was a sad episode. I wonder if the other characters' stories will be like this one.
Apr 19, 2010 3:02 AM

Apr 2009
I want to like this, but I wasn't moved by anything. Something felt off for me.
The thing I want to see most is how Joe is going to fare in the next ep.
Apr 19, 2010 3:24 AM

Apr 2008
Truth101 said:
I'm actually surprised that the Anime showed the dropping of the bomb. It still makes me sick how I've had US history "teachers" try to justify the dropping of the bomb, trying to make it out as something more than slaughter.
Dude all you see is either American propaganda about it or Japanese propaganda. Neither gives a good image... All this shows is the effects of the bomb on one person.

It has nothing to do with the reasoning for using the A-bombs. Also you seem to forget that that whole war was started because Japan felt it was necessary to slaughter anyone they didn't like unite all of East Asia.

War = senseless slaughter, deal with it. Even that war with the American founding fathers was no more than senseless slaughter. The British just aren't as buthurt as the Japs about it.

Great episode to a great series. I do hate how this episode skips even more from the manga than the first episode... But watever.

What I also don't get is. Why aren't Joe and Megu related by blood? They where dumped by the same mother right? And they don't know anything about themselves other than that right?

I hated the pervy-old-hag. Poor Joe...
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Apr 19, 2010 3:42 AM

Dec 2007
Pretty heavy episode, that old hag was just...ugh..

To the people talking about the radiation-
It's not like being exposed to large amounts of radiation is a death sentence. While the chance of developing illnesses like Leukemia certainly is much higher, there are many many people who won't develop any lifethreatening illness either. So it's perfectly possible for Maeda to be alive and well (for the moment.)
Apr 19, 2010 3:50 AM
Nov 2009
Subs are not out yet amirite?
Apr 19, 2010 5:24 AM

Dec 2007
Torrentsven said:
Subs are not out yet amirite?

Slowpoke.

They're out.
Apr 19, 2010 5:28 AM
Nov 2008
Good stuff. I would've liked to see that old hag trip and stab herself in the neck with that scissor... oh well.

This season is a lot better than the winter one was...

Off-topic:On the debate @ Hiroshima... History is written by the winners. But that doesnt mean the losers are right. Japan capitulated right after the bombing. It is easily possible that more ppl (and 100% certain that more alliance soilders) would've died if not for the atom. Of course it was still mass murder, but at least a sensible one. Oh and that war was unavoidable by US, so they can't even be blamed for stepping in their own sh!t (rarity nowadays).
MalestelApr 19, 2010 5:40 AM
Apr 19, 2010 7:47 AM

Jan 2008
Emotions. I was full of various once, while watching this episode - sadness, anger mainly. It's a perfect example of strong bonds between people and how it survives even the darkest things in life - violence, hate or even pedophilia.

The episode was full of brilliant and strong scenes - the escape, where everybody unites just to help Joe, the scene in the orphanage or the flashbacks, everything just added to the overall cruel and sad vibes which surely Rainbow doesn't lack.

We also get a lot of insight into Joe's and Spoon's past, which have one big thing in common - sadness. I'm overwhelmed after watching this episode and that being said, I can't rate this episode other than I do.

In a season surrounded by moe and comedy, Rainbow is exceptional and one of the best currently airing.

10/10
Apr 19, 2010 8:43 AM

Apr 2009
Seriously, I wish not all the bad people were ugly.
Also...are there seriously prisons that easy to escape? o.O
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Apr 19, 2010 9:41 AM

Sep 2009
Cenedess said:

Nowadays, I very much doubt it. But this was 55 years ago, whilst in a particularly bad financial situation, so it's hardly surprising that institutes such as this wouldn't be able to afford as good security as you'd expect.

That said, it still bugged me. Probably the only blip in an otherwise perfect episode.
Apr 19, 2010 10:30 AM

Oct 2009
Damn that perv baba -.- btw great ep
Apr 19, 2010 3:30 PM
Dec 2007
Another SICK episode. In every meaning of the word. This series is shaping to be one of the finest of this season, and I'm truly loving the OP and ED too.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 19, 2010 6:24 PM

Jan 2010
v v Yeah, I threw up in my mouth alittle.
francismeunier said:
Jou.......OMG I was seriously disgusted with the old grandma! If you see this part=>

This episode was a giant ten for me. I am in love. This anime made me cry on the second episode? Amazing! I love you Joe... you're nice one second, and then cursing at grandma the next. ((I know, I'm weak for crying...))
(Is there going to be a brutal beating every episode? >.<)
- Please don't troll on me for saying I cried, I'm just sayin' :D -

Zer0_TR said:
Also He easily captured by 2 guards...I hate weak and stupid characters.

I didn't find anything weak about Joe. Nothing at all...
deadaccount0000Apr 19, 2010 6:33 PM
Apr 19, 2010 7:21 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode. But I don't like the music. It kinda ruined the mood for me. >.<
Apr 19, 2010 8:41 PM

Aug 2009
This episode is kinda emotional at the end. Definitely love it. I'm always on for tragic and cruel tales.

Cenedess said:
Seriously, I wish not all the bad people were ugly.

I also wondered about that. But as someone else mentioned above, it is a youth detention center, not a prison?
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Apr 20, 2010 12:30 AM

Dec 2007
oh my gosh! just saw episode 2 and it was just amazing! this anime is so full of emotions.. the episode was really touching, it even almost made me cry xD

i cant wait till next episode!
this is my favorite anime of the season so far!
Apr 20, 2010 12:35 AM

Oct 2009
nicoliolipoli said:
v v Yeah, I threw up in my mouth alittle.
francismeunier said:
Jou.......OMG I was seriously disgusted with the old grandma! If you see this part=>

This episode was a giant ten for me. I am in love. This anime made me cry on the second episode? Amazing! I love you Joe... you're nice one second, and then cursing at grandma the next. ((I know, I'm weak for crying...))
(Is there going to be a brutal beating every episode? >.<)
- Please don't troll on me for saying I cried, I'm just sayin' :D -
I was more sad at the part Meg cried......I really felt for her on that moment with Jou also when he cried.....that was strange around when it happened....

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 20, 2010 6:35 AM

May 2007
Commie did an excellent job subbing episode 02 and since they're faster than FroZen, I'll follow them from now on. Commie are actually very good imo.

Episode 02 was cruel with the whole director of the orphanage (pervert granny), she RAPED all the poor boys who she was supposed to take care of including Joe.....she was having sex with boys between the ages of 10 to 17 (or even younger). Then she proceeds to "sell" the young girls in her care to pedophiles under the filing that this man is your father now.

At first, I didn't understand why Megu-chan was cold towards Joe but I think she did it so that Joe wouldn't escape from jail and hurt himself like he did now. in the name of trying to meet her or save her from those evil clutches.

Episode 02 was incredibly sad because of how life was sooooo cruel and this pretty much erupts this series to the top spot of being the BEST SERIES OF THIS SEASON.
Apr 20, 2010 7:59 AM
Jun 2008
francismeunier said:
Apr 20, 2010 8:14 AM

May 2008
That orphanage owner is fucking sick. Like for real. I want her to die. Fucked up woman.

That guy that adopted Meg is also sick. I feel SO bad for Joe...wtf is Meg's problem. FFS. He escaped from jail to find her and she just turns him down. She probably did it for a reason, but she could of done it a little better..or something. I dunno. It was BS move.

Also, those guards are fucking stupid idiots. Shows EXACTLY how the police system really is in the world. Bunch of useless good for nothings. Cops are just dogs anyways.

Apr 20, 2010 8:29 AM

Jul 2008
In the manga, Spoon and Joe escape together.
Apr 20, 2010 8:35 AM

Jun 2009
So they'll leave Megu fot that ugly guy? Shit... >__< But Joe showed off this time.
"Strong" episode.

btw I feel like francis for already liking Megu... <_<

KayChan4U said:
I feel SO bad for Joe...wtf is Meg's problem. FFS. He escaped from jail to find her and she just turns him down. She probably did it for a reason, but she could of done it a little better..or something.

Watched this and still don't get it? In short, she wanted Joe to not think only of her anymore, but more of himself . Or somehing like that... ;P
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 20, 2010 11:36 AM
Nov 2008
I actually got turned on when I saw the hag in her nightgown and when she was riding Joe aka straight shota-rape. LMAO Despite her incredibly ugly appearance, I still got turned on. Anyone like me ?
Apr 20, 2010 3:27 PM
Jun 2007
Rage.
Apr 20, 2010 6:30 PM

Aug 2008
Maximatum99 said:
In dramatic buildup of moe and plane, it was almost a surprise for maximum impact. The line I quoted, however, shows the tipping point of destruction of logic.

"I am afraid she will either be not pure because of that fake father or she might become a killer." The shift in OMGWTFAMIREADING was so dramatic that the genre of the pictures transformed symbolically opposite yet equally.
That was the most brilliant thing I've witnessed in.. I don't know how long. I cried laughin' for 10 minutes straight. I salute you.

ps: The episode was nice even if illogical at points
Apr 20, 2010 6:47 PM

Jun 2008
Maximatum99 said:
kerobear said:
francismeunier said:
yamakasi said:
And if we're going to dispute facts within Rainbow's world, the escape aside, what about when we flashed back to Maeda walking amongst the debris of the bomb? Wouldn't he have radiation poisoning and probably die? (Or is his appearance -- the pimples/scars, patchy hair -- the "extent" of his poisoning?)
Yes! I agreed with you. I think also his pimples scars can be a extent of the poisoning since he was still at a certain distance when it happened....so he might develop later on cancer?
Good observation, i just thought that was his styleO_o. he doesn't seem to be growing either. wait.. does height have anything to do with radiation?
I think you are all forgetting something. If it was radiation that made him look like who he is, wouldn't he maybe have died way before due to developing cancer cells? Well, not sure how long he was exposed but you get the idea.

I still think it's his character design.

Go read Hiroshima, it's a book written by John Hersey. He covers 6 survivors of the bomb dropping, and all but one of them were within a mile of the blast radius. He then did a follow-up 40 years later. 4 out of the 6 were still alive.

While many people in the blast zone suffered physical and psychological trauma, including cancers, it wasn't a guaranteed death sentence.
Apr 20, 2010 8:46 PM

Jun 2009
I never knew Alfred E. Neuman had his home and sister incinerated by a nuke. Now I feel bad for making fun of his looks for years.
Apr 20, 2010 8:59 PM

Nov 2008
Rakuen42 said:

Go read Hiroshima, it's a book written by John Hersey. He covers 6 survivors of the bomb dropping, and all but one of them were within a mile of the blast radius. He then did a follow-up 40 years later. 4 out of the 6 were still alive.

While many people in the blast zone suffered physical and psychological trauma, including cancers, it wasn't a guaranteed death sentence.
True, true. I remember watching a documentary on it a couple of months back with the survivors telling their story.
Apr 20, 2010 9:21 PM

Nov 2009
^^ Actually read that book. Glad to see that time isn't going to waste. The people only obtained radiation poisoning if they stayed in the refuge tents they put up after the bomb or heavy burns. I question how far away he was; in order to not get burned yet his house still got destroyed. It said he just left the house because his dad was drunk...

Great improvement over the first episode since the stage is finally set. Nice to see a tragedy that isn't chock full of moé. Although i am not sure i like hentai baba.... Even with that bad security, how can they really not notice a kid running at full speed like that? I mean spoon was in the same general direction as Jo...
Apr 20, 2010 9:49 PM

Oct 2009
OrochiPL said:
So they'll leave Megu fot that ugly guy? Shit... >__< But Joe showed off this time.
"Strong" episode.

btw I feel like francis for already liking Megu... <_<
Well we all feel bad for her being with that disgusting pig and yeah I should do some kind of adoption......I could be a good father for her.....I am sure Sawako would take care of her well also.
Kvakond said:
Maximatum99 said:
In dramatic buildup of moe and plane, it was almost a surprise for maximum impact. The line I quoted, however, shows the tipping point of destruction of logic.

"I am afraid she will either be not pure because of that fake father or she might become a killer." The shift in OMGWTFAMIREADING was so dramatic that the genre of the pictures transformed symbolically opposite yet equally.
That was the most brilliant thing I've witnessed in.. I don't know how long. I cried laughin' for 10 minutes straight. I salute you.

ps: The episode was nice even if illogical at points

Yeah ok sometimes I fail at the posts......at least it makes people laugh.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Apr 21, 2010 4:24 AM

Apr 2008
OMG.. another sad episode. I don't know if i'll be able to continue watching this anime if it stays this depressing. >.>
Apr 21, 2010 4:47 AM

Jul 2009
It's not only depressing but irritating, in a good way of course makes me want to throw that perv old hag with a table from 5th floor
Apr 21, 2010 12:34 PM
Jul 2008
Even better 2nd episode. But man, this show is dark >_<
Very depressing.

And the bad guys aren't plain bad, they are rotten to the core.
That's the only thing that bugs me.
100% opposite of good vs. bad

Still, somehow this anime has very strong ties to the real.
Watching this, I lose the feel, that it's the anime I'm watching.
Apr 21, 2010 12:58 PM

Jun 2008
This episode probably had the scariest thing I've ever seen in it.
GrmoApr 21, 2010 1:18 PM
Apr 21, 2010 4:08 PM

Feb 2009
As expected, this is extremely dark and although the directing is stereotyped for the drama genre, it's still quite good at building up sadness and the emotional impact is certainly strong.

In a market dominated by moe, this stands out even more as a disturbing show in a good way. The character design used to show the disgusting nature of certain antagonists reminds me of the one used in Battle Royal, which is (in)famous for its dark and extremely graphic scenes. So the art style certainly helps create a sick and creepy atmosphere.

Episode 2 overall confirms that this show will be great for its genre. I only hope FroZen will get their subs out quicker as the Commie ones aren't that good.
Apr 22, 2010 2:01 AM
Nov 2009
Apart from the subs, the episode was pretty good. I still don't like the stereotypical bad guys popping out. They're physically unattractive, they speak like they have a cup of water in their mouths, and with no background. It seems like they're just bad just for the sake of being bad.

Other than nitpicking all of that, it was a pretty emotional episode. Bringing in two pretty dramatic stories together like that...was, for the lack of a better adjective, sad.

Edit: By the way, it wasn't very nice of Joe's sister to act like that. Poor Joe comes back to prison thinking his sister didn't appreciate what he did. To top it all off, she said they're not related by blood...true but still, ouch.
pparaApr 22, 2010 2:06 AM
Apr 22, 2010 6:11 PM

Nov 2007
To think the boy was willing to bite himself in order to escape, desolate times. <_<

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 22, 2010 7:51 PM

Aug 2008
This was borderline bad. Again, I felt the heavy hand of the directors trying to lighten up the mood of this piece, while over-exaggerating the morally black characters as "villains." I feel a little insulted by how Joe looks as opposed his rapist, and the guy taking in Megu. There is a lack of subtlety that I find pedestrian about this show.
Apr 23, 2010 7:33 AM

May 2008
This ep was depressing... even thinking about that old pervert lady makes me disgusted... Megu is so strong, she made me cry at the end...
Apr 23, 2010 10:12 AM

Jan 2009
;_; oh man i don't even
Apr 23, 2010 11:31 AM

Jan 2010
I'd probably like Turtle more if he didn't sound EXACTLY like Edward Elric, and yes I do know its the same voice actor but thats no excuse.

Still, it was a very good episode.

I am proud to have Clannad as the only thing on my dropped list.
Apr 23, 2010 12:23 PM

Aug 2009
Xavierxenon said:
I'd probably like Turtle more if he didn't sound EXACTLY like Edward Elric, and yes I do know its the same voice actor but thats no excuse.

But....all her voices sound like Edward Elric....
Apr 23, 2010 2:01 PM

May 2009
I feel sad for Meg when I think about what she's going to go through...
Apr 23, 2010 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
This shit is terrible. The number of people I wanna see dead is rising...
Apr 23, 2010 2:54 PM

Jun 2008
MorningGlory said:
Very realistic episode,i feel as if i am not watching Anime.I feel as if i am watching a real life drama.Hope nothing scary happen after this >.<

Well yeah. How an anime will be, depends on the story not on the medium itself. Anime can do anything and even more of what live action movies can. Well horror is a little hard for anime i have to admit, real life horrifying scenes always look more terrifying.

This episode was very good and we got a look from outside the prison also. The emotion transfer was successful, i just wanted to go find those disgusting old people that do such things to children and open there guts out. That old lady and that guy that bought the girl where disgusting as hell.
I believe this was slightly better than the first episode.
Watching this show can spoil your happy mood but it deserves the trouble. The story is completely real, giving a perfect image of a very hard life.

noteDhero said:
This was borderline bad. Again, I felt the heavy hand of the directors trying to lighten up the mood of this piece, while over-exaggerating the morally black characters as "villains." I feel a little insulted by how Joe looks as opposed his rapist, and the guy taking in Megu. There is a lack of subtlety that I find pedestrian about this show.

Under normal circumstances i would have agree with you on the way evil characters are presented but in this show i don't. Why? Because this anime shows stories that are realistic along with a feeling that the scenario knows the shit that it talks about and believe it or not this kind of people 90% of the time look exactly as disgusting as that and even more especially in the eye of there victims.
Yes you may think it's an unrealistic element of exaggeration but it's actually realistic as hell. I don't know if you met similar people in your life but i have and if i could make an anime about them then they would look/behave like that also. No matter how deliberately evil and absurd some characters may look to you, real life is even more awful and absurd. Yes believe it or not there are many real people that their personality is so two-dimensional that anime flatters them if they try to show other sides by trying to satisfy the sense of realism of viewers like you who didn't actually ever had an encounter with this reality.
You judge how an interesting villain should be, simply by a cinematography perspective of realism and not a real world realism. Don't know if you get what i mean.
MonadApr 23, 2010 3:17 PM
Apr 23, 2010 3:51 PM

Oct 2007
Monad said:
and believe it or not this kind of people 90% of the time look exactly as disgusting as that

Wow...just wow. I'm speechless. Your way of judging people by their exterior is sickening.

To add something non-constructive to the topic:
- character design: fail
- escape: fail
- realism: fail
Anime dropped.

And wtf at that quote again, open your eyes, god damnit.
didipApr 23, 2010 3:55 PM
Apr 23, 2010 5:04 PM

Jul 2008
Poor Jou. That's now two for two in terms of episodes he's the target of sexual abuse (Or at least, I kind of felt like the doctor was a little excited to check him for worms in episode 1).

About the characters looking disgusting when they're evil. This is being written by a guy who went through all this, so to him, all the evil people probably appeared as physically repulsive to him as their personalities were. Sort of like after so much abuse his image of them is now demonic and subhuman. So we see them in the same light that the prisoners do.
Apr 23, 2010 5:08 PM

Jun 2008
Kiddo said:
Monad said:
and believe it or not this kind of people 90% of the time look exactly as disgusting as that

Wow...just wow. I'm speechless. Your way of judging people by their exterior is sickening.

To add something non-constructive to the topic:
- character design: fail
- escape: fail
- realism: fail
Anime dropped.

And wtf at that quote again, open your eyes, god damnit.

It's not my exterior judging sense that's sickening, it's your level of understanding on how the world "look" should be perceived especially considering the following phrase.

And btw even if it was meant as completely literal looks this doesn't judge people by their looks but the looks of certain people. The difference is that the first perceives the personalty in terms of outside looks while the second perceives the looks after judging the personality. Maybe if you squeezed your brain a little instead of just throwing the first catching phrase out of your head that you think will make you look good you would have catch the difference.

Ignoring the reasoning of realism that will take a lot of talk, your other two reasons are quite laughable also.

JustRad said:

About the characters looking disgusting when they're evil. This is being written by a guy who went through all this, so to him, all the evil people probably appeared as physically repulsive to him as their personalities were. Sort of like after so much abuse his image of them is now demonic and subhuman. So we see them in the same light that the prisoners do.

Thank you!
I didn't knew the guy who wrote the story actually lived threw this shit but this enforces my argument of real life perceptive. I get the feeling that those objecting are the kind of people that never met such disgusting individuals and have no idea what kind of people are out there.

And anyway we are talking about old guys here. Old people never look very good especially in anime and manga, the only difference from making them look disgusting or nice is the expressions on there face and way they act. And those things depend on there personality. People underestimate how your outside appearance can be affected by what's inside especially with time. The older you are the more it will appear on your face because as your body changes it adopts more and more to your inside world.
MonadApr 23, 2010 5:25 PM
Apr 23, 2010 7:55 PM

Aug 2008
Let's remember that these beautiful people are in a detention center for not being upstanding citizens themselves. Whether or not you want to excuse or even admit it is not my problem. On top of that, you seem to be forgetting that the doctor has a much more subtle design than the jail keeper, or the other two molesters in this episode. On top of all that, you seem to be conveniently forgetting that a large number of sex offenders were at one point victims themselves.

This is the black and white mentality of the show that I don't appreciate. The show admits that this is a time when men and adults took advantage of women and children during a very severe moment of societal reconstruction. These kids are criminals themselves, but have their own reasons (good and bad, I'm sure) for ending up where they are. I expect that a show that is willing to show these types of characters in a light to let their stories speak for themselves, wouldn't rely so heavily on two-dimensional representations of real people. But that's what's happening, and it's a shame. The show would be a lot grittier and truer to life if it examined the harsh nihilism that made Japan go Lord of the Flies.

And as an example, shows like Monster and Kaiji, where there is a more uniform character design help get across that edge a lot better than Rainbow.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jakeki - May 11, 2010

132 by phantom346 »»
Yesterday, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - May 5, 2010

151 by phantom346 »»
Yesterday, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DrRoboto - Jul 20, 2010

79 by Gabi15 »»
Apr 19, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shanimebib - Jun 22, 2010

182 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Mar 22, 6:06 AM

Poll: » Rainbow Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Florete - Sep 28, 2010

220 by prozyne »»
Mar 6, 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.