Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 12, 2021 9:28 PM

Jun 2009
Wonderful episode. Vanitas x Noe for life. Haters gonna hate. >:D

But really, I love their relationship so far. Definitely one of my new favorite duos.

Also I adore Johann and can't wait to see more of him.

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Jul 12, 2021 11:18 PM

May 2021
KittyxChan said:

But really, I love their relationship so far. Definitely one of my new favorite duos.

No one hates this duo, it's just that some people think it's BL because they look really close when they're not. it just same way like Dazai and Chuya. in fact Both has legit Female love interest. they are not gay, some people just misunderstood some threads that are misleading anime only.
Jul 13, 2021 1:07 AM

Jun 2009
Yukino_chan99 said:
KittyxChan said:

No one hates this duo, it's just that some people think it's BL because they look really close when they're not. it just same way like Dazai and Chuya. in fact Both has legit Female love interest. they are not gay, some people just misunderstood some threads that are misleading anime only.

Nah, let people ship what they ship. ^^ And I heavily ship Dazai x Chuuya. And I'm not gonna stop. But this isn't a Bungou discussion thread. So I'll keep it at that.

Jul 13, 2021 1:46 AM

May 2021
KittyxChan said:
Yukino_chan99 said:

Nah, let people ship what they ship. ^^ And I heavily ship Dazai x Chuuya. And I'm not gonna stop. But this isn't a Bungou discussion thread. So I'll keep it at that.
it doesn't matter you want to ship whoever you want to ship, but some Fujoshi ship them like they're canon, I hope you're not that type.
Jul 13, 2021 2:14 AM
Jan 2016
OttoLannister550 said:
Wasn't enjoying the first episode but this one gives me hope and even exceeds my expectation. Although it's still too soon to say this, I would say the show give me AOTS vibes. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Also, the pacing seems a little bit fast in this episode. While I don't hate it I'm just wondering if they cut some stuff from the manga. However, I've seen no manga readers complaining so far so I guess it's all good

Its EXACTLY like the manga. I'm talking about not just page by page but panel by panel. The 1st ep had 1 chapter but the 2and ep had 2 chapters that's why.
Jul 13, 2021 3:32 AM

Jun 2009
Yukino_chan99 said:
KittyxChan said:

it doesn't matter you want to ship whoever you want to ship, but some Fujoshi ship them like they're canon, I hope you're not that type.

I'm not. And I certainly hope you're not the type of dude who goes "ew BL waifus for laifus"

I know some fujos can be annoying with demanding a ship be canon and even going to horrible lengths to try and make that happen, but that doesn't mean all fujos = bad and it doesn't mean yaoi = gross.

Jul 13, 2021 4:30 AM
Jun 2021
The show is interesting. Do anyone think vanitas has another motive.maybe it would be turning point for the show. Waiting for the next episode.
Jul 13, 2021 7:46 AM
Feb 2021
This show is aesthetically pleasing.
Jul 14, 2021 6:38 AM

Dec 2018
I am so happy about the entire adaptation and animation so far, I was really scared given the treatment Pandora Hearts as received in the past (I know different studio, it happened years go but yeah fear is irrational). I am so so excited. Jeanne's entrance was done so well!

I don't know how I feel towards Louis' VA. Sound....weird, but in general I am so excited.
_RizeJul 14, 2021 6:42 AM
Jul 14, 2021 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, it looks like Vanitas and Noe will have to team up to deal with their vampire problem.

I thought this episode was more lighthearted than the first one with even more cast appearing. Luca and Jeanne also got involved that made the case more complicated. Another interesting episode imo. Vanitas needs to keep his head high if he wants to deal with these problems. He still has the most entertaining presence in the show imo.
Jeanne is hot as fuck
Jul 14, 2021 5:21 PM

Mar 2020
Stephen36 said:
The show is interesting. Do anyone think vanitas has another motive.maybe it would be turning point for the show. Waiting for the next episode.
It would be more appropriate to say that he isnt revealing his true motive.Just a part of it.
Jul 15, 2021 8:46 PM
Dec 2020
Vanitas is so funny his laugh bro it’s too funny.😂 Noe and vanitas are so alike vanitas being vanitas and Noe just wandering off like a kid. And noe doesn’t like vanitas😂. This anime is so good. The book of vanitas is so beautiful man it’s power is so beautiful One of the best grimoires in anime.😂🔥❤️👍🏻
Jul 16, 2021 1:44 AM

Mar 2020
Started watching because Pandora Hearts manga by the same mangaka is a masterpiece. Sadly I don't think Vanitas no Carte even comes close to that perfection. To me the characters are boring, the story seems generic and the humor and dialogues feel forced. Only the art is beautiful. Of course it's only been two episodes, I haven't read the manga, but this is my first impression.

I wish they have done a good Pandora Hearts anime remake instead of this.

3/5 for this ep, I will stick around to see if it gets better, though I doubt it.
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Jul 16, 2021 3:25 AM

Sep 2015
Xerx62 said:
Started watching because Pandora Hearts manga by the same mangaka is a masterpiece. Sadly I don't think Vanitas no Carte even comes close to that perfection. To me the characters are boring, the story seems generic and the humor and dialogues feel forced. Only the art is beautiful. Of course it's only been two episodes, I haven't read the manga, but this is my first impression.

3/5 for this ep, I will stick around to see if it gets better, though I doubt it.

I honestly think it's a mistake going in thinking this will be just like Pandora Hearts. Of course it's okay to compare the two - it's only natural - but it feels unfair in my opinion to compare a complete manga series to a very much incomplete anime series, where even the manga has a lot left to uncover.
Also, keep in mind that Mochizuki Jun seems to like to take her time with building up the world and character foundations before getting deeper into both. Same thing happened with Pandora Hearts. As a reader of both manga, I can safely say that there's a lot lurking under the surface in this one.

But if it's truly not for you, then that's totally fine! I just wanted to throw in my two cents here.
Jul 16, 2021 4:11 AM
Mar 2021
Xerx62 said:

Are you reading Pandora Hearts since first volume released or every volume in one go? I read Pandora Hearts since first volume released and my impression is the same with Vanitas no Carte. Fun episode while there is dark foreshadowing for the future. The reason why I asked this is because in Jun Mochizuki's manga, people tend to have low impression in the beginning because it's only reveal the surface. If you read Pandora Hearts in one go, of course your impression will be good because you can reach the most interesting part immediately.

In Vanitas no Carte's anime now, so many characters aren't revealed yet, they only explain the world for a bit (Of course it looks generic, you maybe only know 5% of the information available in manga now), and it's actually similar humor with Pandora Hearts.

And yes, the same as previous reply, it's not fair to compare 2 episode of anime with 24 volumes of Pandora Hearts and call it "Not close to that perfection". As manga reader, I can't even compare 9 volume of Vanitas with 24 volume of Pandora Hearts because Jun said recently that she haven't reach the climax yet in Vanitas.
Jul 16, 2021 5:45 AM

Mar 2020
@Cathen99 @Alice0006

My first introduction to Pandora Hearts was the anime, and even with it's lacking art and animation, the first few episodes immediately captured my attention. After the horrible anime-only ending I read the manga.
Vanitas no Carte just...didn't. At least so far. And I found myself cringing a bit too much too.
Of course you both are right that I shouldn't decide yet whether it can get close to Pandora Hearts' perfection or not. But well it probably won't be able to, at least in my eyes.
Maybe it's unfair to compare it to PH, but I expected so much more from this and I'm disappointed. Maybe I just had too high expectations. Or perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised when more gets revealed.
Xerx62Jul 16, 2021 5:48 AM
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Jul 16, 2021 6:04 AM

Aug 2013
People really are after the book and it seems only Vanitas is able to use it. I wonder why?

I'm liking Jeanne already.

Jul 16, 2021 6:39 AM
Mar 2021
Xerx62 said:
@Cathen99 @Alice0006

My first introduction to Pandora Hearts was the anime, and even with it's lacking art and animation, the first few episodes immediately captured my attention. After the horrible anime-only ending I read the manga.
Vanitas no Carte just...didn't. At least so far. And I found myself cringing a bit too much too.
Of course you both are right that I shouldn't decide yet whether it can get close to Pandora Hearts' perfection or not. But well it probably won't be able to, at least in my eyes.
Maybe it's unfair to compare it to PH, but I expected so much more from this and I'm disappointed. Maybe I just had too high expectations. Or perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised when more gets revealed.

You can't expect because it's the same author, you think it immediately catch you the same way as Pandora Hearts because it's different story. Maybe there are some element in Pandora Hearts that catch you but in my opinion, the introduction is similar with Vanitas. Main character's introduction, world introduction, foreshadowing, hook (in Pandora, "Your sin is your existence", in Vanitas, it's "I will kill Vanitas with my own two hands")

"Sadly I don't think Vanitas no Carte even comes close to that perfection."
"But well it probably won't be able to, at least in my eyes."
If you already decide in the beginning it won't then it won't. Human is just like that, we perceive something the way we want. If you already perceive it as something that's not close to Pandora Hearts's perfection, then most likely it won't. I read Vanitas no Carte with no expectation and I don't compare it with Pandora Hearts (I won't say which one is better) that's why I can enjoy it for what it is.
Jul 16, 2021 9:32 AM
Aug 2016
Amazing episode! "Oui, Votre Altesse" 🔥🔥🔥

My only doubt is how did Noe survive the Gauntlet's crimson flames? Manga readers will that be explained in the next episode?

5/5
Jul 16, 2021 12:15 PM
Jun 2021
I WANT MORE!!!

The first episode was very good but this one???? was perfect! Vanitas looks handsome and very funny and Noé looks very strong and i'm really excited for the next one.
Jul 16, 2021 1:54 PM

Jul 2014
The ED is a real banger!
Jul 18, 2021 7:55 PM

Apr 2018
I knew the lord was sketchy in the beginning when he was introduced. Nonetheless a great ep and more to come.
Jul 19, 2021 11:15 AM

Jul 2020
From this episode alone, I'm starting to like Jeanne already, and it will definitely be exciting to see the fight between Jeanne and the Vanitas/Noe duo!
Zackack99Jul 19, 2021 11:19 AM
Jul 20, 2021 2:31 AM

Oct 2017
New characters introduced and they both are cliche character tropes. One is a mindless knight who just follows every command of her master and the other is a naive ignorant brat, meh. Other than that another amusing episode. Interactions between Vanitas and Noe were amusing.
Jul 27, 2021 5:59 AM
Nov 2020
Oh man, what a good episode, loved the pace
Jul 28, 2021 3:21 AM

Apr 2015
Slightly fast and maybe predictable but too stylish to dislike.
Jul 29, 2021 5:31 PM

Aug 2017
The comedy is still annoying but the plot is decent so far and I like the characters. Jeanne is too OP.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 8, 2021 9:50 AM
Jul 2019
The background music during the fight scene was superb <3
Aug 10, 2021 10:17 AM

May 2021
cute Vampire girl appears, she looks so dangerous that Vanitas and Noe can't even handle her.
Aug 10, 2021 9:54 PM

May 2021
finally Jeanne's first appearance, she's been my favorite ever since I started reading manga.
Aug 13, 2021 8:54 PM
Oct 2019
eh, idk what to think about this

sitting at a 6/10 through 2 episodes
Sep 4, 2021 12:12 PM

Jul 2019
This episode was some hype. I like the diving into the setting and lore as well here. Looks like the Book is not all that oof.

Anyways, nice team work for the guys against that op witch. Good episode.
Sep 8, 2021 9:24 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm late starting this season, but this was the show I was looking forward to the most. I'm not disappointed. I tend to avoid things with vampires, but this anime handles it in the way that fits those exception criteria.
I'm digging the characters, the interactions, and I'm interested in the plot. And gosh darn it, I mean to watch one episode of each anime I planned to watch this season since I'm so behind, but this anime pulled me in so much that I wanted to watch episode two.
Hard to mess this one up for me. I look forward to the rest.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 11, 2021 5:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow, Jeanne is definitely quite epic, their situation is tense!!
Sep 17, 2021 10:49 AM

Jan 2021
This episode was better than the previous one.
I guess I was right about not dropping it and giving it a chance.
And I know I said it. But the designs are BEAUTIFUL. And also the animation.
But also poor Noe XD. That must’ve really hurt.
Oct 31, 2021 11:13 PM

Mar 2014
Noé just casually using his strength to hurl/push Vanitas like a sack of potatoes when things get serious will never get old lmao
Nov 22, 2021 12:57 AM
Jul 2021
Ellenwitch said:
The chemistry of these two is just pure great. Did Noe really just chuck him like that? LMAO.

i know it’s been months but- BAHAHAHAH THAT WAS MY FAVOURITE PART OF THE EPISODE I LOST IT- their dynamic is amazing >///<
Nov 22, 2021 1:18 AM
Jul 2021
and thus my enjoyment continues~ this episode felt a lot less heavy than the first one, but it is appreciated because, i enjoyed just chilling in the characters company yknow?? the scenery looks beautiful too. we got a bit of noé’s backstory, and it seems really interesting!! jeanne is PRETTYY!! music, again goes off. did i say i love noé and vanitas’ dynamic? i really do :>>

hmm.. regarding vanitas character, i have thoughts- when noé comforts (idk assures? smth like that) him, he looks down and smiles real weird- i think he says “you truly are an amusing fellow”- suspicious.
Feb 12, 2022 4:30 PM

May 2021
The ED and Jeanne are really amazing. I really like the dynamic between Vanitas and Noe.

Mar 22, 2022 9:08 AM

Apr 2021
Another reminder that when it all comes down to it, all stories are about the struggle, the skirmish, the battle, the fight, the war between good and evil, right and wrong.
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Apr 17, 2022 5:33 AM

Jul 2013
Wow ok that is a much better episode I was surprised it was over already tbh.
Apr 24, 2022 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Quite a lot of opposition towards Vanitas despite his pure goal of wanting to save vampires, at least Noé is on his side. Also Paris seems a lot nicer here than I remember from real life...

Jun 18, 2022 5:17 AM

Mar 2013
Vanitas really is quite an amusing character.
Paired him with Noé, then this would be a wholesome comedic story.
All the guys are serious while Vanitas is blatantly joking even though he is just a...
Ahm... I should have watched this earlier when it aired, such a bummer.

Jeanne...? like Jeanne d Arc (dunno if I spelled it correctly) but here, a destroyer...
It feels like FGO... but her character seems to be a cute one after Luca scolded her... lol
CrazyButNot4UJun 18, 2022 5:21 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Sep 24, 2022 5:47 PM
Oct 2018
i barley remeber it
May 2, 2023 2:50 AM

Nov 2022
Lol I thought after the fire ended, Noe will show his power but he ran lmao. This is getting interesting.
Aug 16, 2023 4:23 AM
Adventurer

Apr 2017
A nice episode. I liked the scene where Noé threw the desk to a wall and literally removed the obstacle between them and the old guy to reach an understanding.

We've got our first bonding moment between the two main characters, Vanitas' design is still cool but I'm afraid my sentiments are the same as Noés; I find myself disliking him, weh. Maybe if he stops laughing at everything and shows growth I'll reconsider my opinion. That's the one anime trope that always irks me a bit ;;;

Talking more about the designs, ho-ly crap is it good quality. Those shots are wallpaper material for real for real ^^

We were introduced to two antagonists, who will likely switch sides after Noé and Vanitas find a way to convince them that they're not out there to hurt vampires. How will they do that? No clue. We'll find out next episode, I guess
I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Dec 3, 2023 11:41 AM
Dec 2023
It was too fast... But it was cool
Dec 6, 2023 4:58 AM

Oct 2022
Looks like they're, Vanitas and Noe, are in for it together having to team up, and partner in crimes as Vanitas desired. Noe's enthusiasm for exploring Paris, the City of Flowers, is really like a child's. The duo is going to be absolutely fascinating! Although I'm not going to make any direct foreshadowing from the manga, I'm completely psyched for the next episode.
"All things, be they divine or mortal, find their ultimate end. 
                      It is not a harsh punishment, but a merciful pardon."

Mar 24, 12:54 AM
Dec 2022
argh the op is epic sauce
funny book reacquired
baldy
The book animation again bro wWHY IS IT SO GOOD LMAO o new characters

just realized Noe kinda reminds me of Zapp from Blood Blockade Battlefront

I love Vanitas hes a silly fellow
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.