Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2008 4:30 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What an episode.

Rakushun gives an epic verbal smackdown of the spoilt princess, "You should be more ashamed at not knowing anything about your own country"

The blind kid gets RUN OVER by a carriage. Unbelievable. Shoot Asano, SHOOT HIM!!!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 28, 2008 4:40 PM

Sep 2007
I know! This episode was terrible in the end (ah, terrible in a good way, obviously). I loved Rakushun's speech. It was good medicine for Shoukei.
Apr 12, 2009 12:57 PM

Nov 2008
Great episode...I love Rakushun's speech as well;at last someone had to tell her all that.
I cried so much at the end T_T
Jul 10, 2009 3:23 AM

Sep 2008
12 kingdoms at this point = PURE EPIC!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 17, 2009 2:44 PM

Jun 2008
Seishuu had a tragic ending...... :''(
He's the only character that I actually liked in this series....
Oct 7, 2010 5:09 PM

Jun 2009
kie_ said:

Frankly I can't believe you couldn't like characters like Youko and Rakushun who have a degree of maturity in them that just isn't common in anime.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2010 10:45 AM

Oct 2009
This was sad. =(
Nov 19, 2010 3:49 PM

Nov 2009
insan3soldiern said:
kie_ said:

Frankly I can't believe you couldn't like characters like Youko and Rakushun who have a degree of maturity in them that just isn't common in anime.

I was thinking the same thing.... ._.

But aww that was sad D: What a bastard, just running him over with the carriage. Well now Youko knows what he's like :I

And lol I LOVED Rakushun basically putting that spoilt bitch of a princess in her place with his little speech <3
Jan 9, 2011 3:16 PM

May 2010
How did the blind kid and the annoying whiny guy with the gun understood what the servant girl said? AT THE SAME TIME?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 25, 2011 12:48 AM

Aug 2010
I cant believe that boy died!!! I hope that suzu and that ex-princess will change now that they've both 'learned' their lesson (from that boy and rakushun respectively).
asano, shoot!!!!!
Jun 22, 2011 6:22 PM

Jun 2009
This is the first time I cry in this series (I think is not like I remember crying in other moment) I just can't help it.
I hate how people can be so cruel sometimes.
But wtf Youko left even thought she could have used her blue ball or that thingy.
I really liked that boy and now there's only left (kinda) annoying people D:
Aug 27, 2011 6:23 PM

Sep 2008
sophy4ever said:
Confucius said:
How did the blind kid and the annoying whiny guy with the gun understood what the servant girl said? AT THE SAME TIME?

Magic. Isn't that how she was able to communicate in the first place?

I was pretty sure she could communicate with both - simultaneously - because of her status as a sen-nin... So yeah, magic. In all seriousness.

Rakushun is awesome. It's somewhat amusing that he realises that he's doomed to meet people like Youko and Shoukei who start off as jerks. (I'm saying that assuming - or at least hoping - that Shoukei will change for the better.) Hopefully Shoukei will be a different individual by the time she actually meets Youko and knows it's the Queen of Kei who's before her.

Asano seems to enjoy pointing that gun... but not shooting it. Man, though, I feel so horrible for Seishuu. He completely did not deserve that sort of death. I'm not only incredulous at the dude in the carriage who essentially ordered his death, but also at the fact that none of the bystanders made any move to help Seishuu get out of the way or anything. Ugh. It was definitely a very good episode, though!
Apr 29, 2012 10:36 AM

Jan 2010
kie_ said:

yes T____________T
It is always in the anime :(
Sep 23, 2012 10:13 PM

Feb 2010

What an episode.

I love the way 12th Kingdom examines this aspect of humanity.
Oct 23, 2013 3:07 PM

Jul 2011
I've never hated so many characters in an anime before...well maybe, but this still makes the list. three females who are always trying to act the victim, Sugimoto, the princess and suzu. They are always making my eyes roll to the back of my head. And wow, now Asano as well. However the story is very intriguing and interesting so I will definitely keep watching. And I guess I am also interested in what happens with Youka's story. As well as learning about the other kingdoms, their kirin and rulers. And the mystery of the black kirin and the ruler. forgot which kingdom they belonged to already.
Jan 5, 2014 3:01 PM

Dec 2012
I really hope the child didn't die awwwwwww ;A;
Mar 7, 2014 11:58 PM

Jul 2008
First off Rakushun giving the princess the verbal smackdown, great stuff.

And who the hell was that noble?! He needs to die.
Mar 26, 2014 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
Rakushun's awesome as always. Too bad Seishuu died. Suzu got better because of him.

I have a feeling Asano's going to continue going down the annoying and pathetic route by teaming up with that bastard Shouko. This show really loves annoying characters no?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 30, 2015 5:32 AM

Jan 2012
She is so jealous that bitch.rip child

Apr 30, 2015 11:55 PM
Aug 2008
Best episode so far !
I'm really loving this arc. It's the best.
I just knew about these episode discussions so I'm having fun reading reviews for every episode without spoilers.
It's as if you're watching it with other posters at the same time.
Jul 8, 2015 3:11 PM

Feb 2008
koreye said:
12 kingdoms at this point = PURE EPIC!

This. And this was such a sad ending. Can't wait to see how this would unfold and everything would fall into place.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nov 10, 2015 1:27 AM

Dec 2013
They're practically struggling to somehow make Asano relevant. Why make an anime original character to begin with is my question.

Sucks that Seishuu was basically killed the way he was, but at the very least he was able to set Suzu straight.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 19, 2015 10:39 AM

Feb 2013
Suzu got to meet Youko, though she doesn't know it. LMAO
Feb 6, 2016 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
I really liked this episode. My opinion of this anime is all over the place! I like it, then I don't, then I like it, etc. All I know is that most episodes go by really fast and I get sucked into the story. Some eps here and there are annoying, but the story always picks up again.
Dec 29, 2016 7:38 PM
Oct 2014
So, it's a shame that kid got one-hit-kill no-scoped by the carriage, but his conversations with Suzu didn't ring true for me. In the previous episode, Suzu and the boy had a great conversation and came to the correct conclusion - everyone suffers subjectively, so there's no point trying to have a contest to see who has it worse - but then he immediately followed it up with the hysterically dumb horseshit statement of "you can't have had it that bad, because you would have done something to change it". Not only does that absurdly contradict the conclusion he came to literally one sentence ago, it's also a huge pile of victim-blaming bollocks. Following that is this episode, where he sympathizes with Lady Riyou - there's probably a good case to be made about that somewhere, but he immediately weaponizes this apparent revelation to criticize Suzu for crying, because of some weird backwards logic about how crying is a display of self-pity, and it's somehow wrong to feel hurt or aggrieved about anything ever, including a century-long enslavement that only ended very recently. I just can't get on board with the mindset he's advocating. Still, he's a good character with some interesting if jumbled insight, it's a shame he appears to be dying so soon.

Rakushun is still fantastic. Real Starfleet material right there. A couple episodes ago, I suggested that Shoukei would benefit hugely from forming a genuine connection with someone who lives outside the bubble she grew up in, and Rakushun is just the guy. With a single brief conversation he managed to open her mind just enough to give her the opportunity she'd never had before to start learning about the world for herself. Let's just hope the plot continues down that path.

Meanwhile, the writers have absolutely let down Asano as a character, and every scene with him in is being dragged down as a result. It's unclear to me why he was ever even in the show at all, unless he's going to have something to do with the ending. He could have been a great character if the writers hadn't thrown him into a river for half the series and resurrected him as a lunatic. Anyway, he's going to shoot this generic chaotic evil man in the carriage now, I guess.
Jun 20, 2017 6:18 AM

Oct 2012
I really like that orange haired kid
He's like.. way too mature for his age, but that's why I like him
He's suffered too much as a kid
I want him to have better life, but a random "nobleman" just trampled my hope :(

Youko's kingdom sucks!
Asano why you even exist?
Rayl1ghtJun 20, 2017 6:25 AM
"Signature removed"
Aug 19, 2017 4:04 PM

Sep 2009
Poor Kid :'( I thought Youko might be able to save him :(
Sep 30, 2019 10:21 PM

Jul 2016
it's getting harder to trudge through... i really don't want to lose my interest in juuni kokuki, really... it's a rare occasion for me to have even reached 20 episodes watching anything, let alone 30 but i feel as if... lately, it's turned from full on pov of youko to full on pov of taiki/takasato and now it's split between thirds for the three girls... *sigh*

it's just not cutting it for me.

leave it to rakushun, one of the most level headed characters (if not the most) in the show to give non level headed characters' logics a run for their money. seriously. i shouldn't be giving a talking half mouse with the shittiest eye animation (seriously freaks me out. i hate his fking eyes) the time of day, and shoukei was probably thinking the same thing, but he speaks so wisely and eloquently that you are forced to listen to him carefully. reminds me of that one phenomenon where a well spoken person's height can be ignored even if they are short because of their presence, but a wall-flower type can end up having their tall height ignored vice versa if they themselves lack the confidence to create a big presence.

youko and taiki's arcs were amazing but the constant switch from shoukei to suzu to youko is driving me insane. i mean, at least youko is still relevant (and i'd hope she always is considering she is the main character-!!) but taiki's scenes are literally gone! there's so much i still want to have explored! like how takasato still has sanshi following him around and causing strange freak accidents that result in death and harm, how he's missing from the tai kingdom, oh no wait screw that! how the tai kingdom still is missing their emperor and taiki??? *facepalms* you guys totally left us hanging on these mysteries... if this doesn't even get resolved by the end of the series i'm-

i just want to slice shoukei out of the plotline and call it a day, with 1/2 youko and 1/2 suzu. get em talkin, get em met up, let youko lecture this woe-is-thy-name child who is actually way older than youko but is less mature and then let her become a palace assistant, advisor, and friend to the young empress. or, OR, 1/3 youko, 1/3 suzu, 1/3 taiki/takasato.

here's to hoping the next episode will be gud. not that this one wasn't.

"Youko's kingdom sucks!
Asano why you even exist?"
(never thought my feelings could be summed up in only two sentences so accurately before LOL.)
Nov 15, 2019 1:24 PM

May 2015
OH.MY.GOD. ASANO YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 13, 2020 12:39 PM

Jul 2009
Asano is stupid..poor boy, nobles are a pain.
Aug 27, 2021 12:38 PM

Nov 2016
RIP Seishuu. His tragic death at least wasn't in vain, it gave Suzu the final push to feel the pain of others.

Rakushun also doing the lord's work.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 30, 2022 11:43 AM
Nov 2020
Damn Rakushun has the power to change all the hypocrisy of people.
Dec 27, 2023 1:42 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Amascut
So, it's a shame that kid got one-hit-kill no-scoped by the carriage, but his conversations with Suzu didn't ring true for me. In the previous episode, Suzu and the boy had a great conversation and came to the correct conclusion - everyone suffers subjectively, so there's no point trying to have a contest to see who has it worse - but then he immediately followed it up with the hysterically dumb horseshit statement of "you can't have had it that bad, because you would have done something to change it". Not only does that absurdly contradict the conclusion he came to literally one sentence ago, it's also a huge pile of victim-blaming bollocks. Following that is this episode, where he sympathizes with Lady Riyou - there's probably a good case to be made about that somewhere, but he immediately weaponizes this apparent revelation to criticize Suzu for crying, because of some weird backwards logic about how crying is a display of self-pity, and it's somehow wrong to feel hurt or aggrieved about anything ever, including a century-long enslavement that only ended very recently. I just can't get on board with the mindset he's advocating. Still, he's a good character with some interesting if jumbled insight, it's a shame he appears to be dying so soon.

Rakushun is still fantastic. Real Starfleet material right there. A couple episodes ago, I suggested that Shoukei would benefit hugely from forming a genuine connection with someone who lives outside the bubble she grew up in, and Rakushun is just the guy. With a single brief conversation he managed to open her mind just enough to give her the opportunity she'd never had before to start learning about the world for herself. Let's just hope the plot continues down that path.

Meanwhile, the writers have absolutely let down Asano as a character, and every scene with him in is being dragged down as a result. It's unclear to me why he was ever even in the show at all, unless he's going to have something to do with the ending. He could have been a great character if the writers hadn't thrown him into a river for half the series and resurrected him as a lunatic. Anyway, he's going to shoot this generic chaotic evil man in the carriage now, I guess.
@Amascut Yeah, I hated that speech as well. I guess he's trying to get Suzu to view things from the perspective of others. So far, Suzu has been relatively self centered in feeling sorry for herself. That's why she felt empty after her imaginations, because she never tried to do anything. She just fantasized about it, and felt empty when she left her fantasy world. Though on that note, saying that Lady Riyou suffered because she abused her servants and they didn't tell her the truth? Of course they didn't tell her the truth! It's like telling an abusive person that they're abusive. There's a chance that'd they just lash out and hurt you more. From what we see, she's always been a terrible person. So no idea why he's trying to sympathize with her. I do get that we need to look at things from multiple perspectives, but some people are just trifling and bad.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.