Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2018 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, Joker doesn't look in good physical condition in this episode. But at least we got the crew back and that means pretty much all the Phantom Thieves. I actually miss some of them (especially Makoto!) Even Tae makes an appearance! Lol their teacher is also back in her iconic maid outfit.

Even Sae and good old Sakura is back. As for the plot and suspense itself, there's also the usual thrilling feeling as usual. The group meeting, buildup, etc. Looks like we got a palace infiltration buildup with the ship. Fun to see all the Phantom Thieves on board with their mission. And those Personas are back too!

As far the storytelling goes, I do find it pretty similar to the main TV series but condensed into a single special episode. Kept my expectations low but somewhat entertained. It was just fun to see the returning cast again. Still not a big fan of Akechi though
Stark700Mar 24, 2019 6:35 AM
Dec 30, 2018 7:57 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverMar 24, 2019 6:40 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 30, 2018 10:08 AM

Dec 2014
This was great, apart from the glaring fast pace I really enjoyed it.

Hope everyone who was wondering what happened at the end of the original anime understood what happened here.

The Akechi vs Phantom Thieves battles was quite good and fun to watch.
Wait a minute, Joker still has Arsene? Damn, that must be one of those legendary level 99 max stat Arsene's I've heard about. XD

We finally face off against Shido, the true mastermind.
RIVERS IN THE DESERT!!! I got so damn hyped when it started playing. XD

The battle against Shido was actually really really good, what? I know it's hard to translate the game's battles into the anime but this was actually extremely well done. Wow. :o
YOSHITSUNE!! They even animated HASSOU TOBI! That was so cool. xD
We even got Alice and Beelzebub, that confirms it. This is max leveled NG+ Joker. :3

Hah, that Ryuji fake death scene always makes me laugh especially when he just walks in so nonchalantly when Ann is crying.
The change of heart took effect but the people are acting weird!

Looking forward to the next special in March, I'm assuming they'll speed through the final stretch of the game in that one.

Persona 5 R was also announced at the end of this special presumably for PS4 because of the logo.
Lelouch0202Dec 30, 2018 10:16 AM
Dec 30, 2018 10:56 AM

Feb 2008
Much better than previous season

8/10

Yeah Joker is not dead

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 30, 2018 12:41 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Nice to see the cast again. Loving the new visuals for the op. It was fun seeing Ren and the team reveal how they pulled off their plan that fooled the world. Quite the palace that Shido had though. It was nice seeing all of Ren's confidents help in their own way. Smart in how they managed to reference all the previous villains though. Akechi's true identity and his plan though was quite surprising. The fight's against Akechi and Shido were both pretty impressive. Alice is as beautiful as she is deadly here lol. Its good that they managed to beat Shido. Overall an excellent episode that did well to show how the team fooled the world and found the true villain. Looks like the next sp will show us the true ending of the game can't wait.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2018 3:03 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Well, pacing is a bit faster than usual. Around 3 episodes worth of content (using P5A's usual pacing) covered in two episodes worth of content. Though, things felt like they flowed better in this special than the TV series. Art has its potato moments, but it was mostly good. Plus more animation cuts then usual.

Akechi fight was okay, but Akechi's seiyuu was top-notch. His death was just as impactful and emotional as it was it the game: none. Let's see if P5R brings the pancake boi back. watch it just be some racing spin-off.

Shido's fight was actually pretty good, even if it felt too short. I wish they showed all of Shido's forms during the fight. Though, there's a lot of things I wished this anime did...

Also, no cinematic explosion in the background while Ryuji makes a dramatized jump at the end, RIP

6/10, about as good as the TV series.
Dec 30, 2018 3:11 PM

Jul 2015
Wow. We got 50minutes. Noice.
Btw, Why isn't this labeled as sequel?

Dec 30, 2018 4:28 PM

Apr 2016
still had the problems the main anime had, with the story going by way too fast
Akechi's death was pretty much brushed over, which I remember being a really great scene in the actual game with a lot of feeling behind it
I will give them props for the fight with Shido, because it was actually pretty good, plus I'm a sucker for River In The Desert
I guess there will be one more special which makes sense because I was wondering how on earth they could squeeze the entire rest of the story into this one special
this anime really should have been more around 50 episodes, it would have felt way less rushed and we could have more time to build the characters in settings like they did in the game
Dec 30, 2018 4:57 PM

Oct 2015
For 51minutes this was actually pretty good. The animation still had the same problems from the series, but this time it was only limited to the fight.

In terms of pacing I think this is alright except for the setup to Shido's palace. They chopped the plan behind Joker's suicide into a few parts and spread it out over the episode, which was good, but it made the beginning feel short and rushed.

I will be looking forward to the conclusion.
Dec 30, 2018 5:40 PM

May 2014
I consider these good adaptations, but I already played (and adore) the game. If you were just watching the Persona anime without the context of already playing the game I have to image they are kinda bad.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Dec 30, 2018 7:14 PM
Nov 2010
Where did you guys watch the full episode? I only found a snippet on Crunchyroll.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Dec 30, 2018 8:51 PM

Dec 2014
Fundog said:
Where did you guys watch the full episode? I only found a snippet on Crunchyroll.

It's up on CR assuming you have a premium membership.
Dec 30, 2018 10:15 PM
Nov 2010
Lelouch0202 said:
Fundog said:

It's up on CR assuming you have a premium membership.

Okay, anywhere else?
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Dec 31, 2018 1:04 AM

Jul 2012
Didn't think it will be 51 minutes and it was pretty decent/good for that. While Shido's fight was pretty cool, it was short and probably it really supposed to be a game version. Overall 7/10. Waiting for the last part.
Dec 31, 2018 3:02 AM

Dec 2015
YOSHITSUNE + HASSOU TOBI = INSTA-WIN.

although this episode was pretty average. the cliffhanger was good, but other than that it was pretty bad and good at the same time. Bad animation as usual, and I think anime-only watchers would find this really confusing as to how he got arsene back, yadda yadda.

and...

anyways, how did he even get arsene and alice get to do those things? Damn, i haven't farmed that much as to even level up my starter persona
Dec 31, 2018 12:02 PM

Aug 2017
I think that the special is better than the main show.

6/10 for the special.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 31, 2018 12:46 PM

Feb 2014
I guess watching this special is a good way to end my 2018 anime experience and thankfully, this Persona 5 Special is pretty good.

Yea, the pacing is still quick, but it's still straight to the point and doesn't let itself get too distracted, which with my memories of Shido's palace in the game had its good AND bad points. As for the animation, that was a definite improvement over the main T.V series, both in visual quality and animation quality, too. Thank goodness, as well. ^^;

The next special, not due until March 2019, should cover the last part of the game that has to be adapted, so I'm looking forward to seeing it animated. Fingers crossed, it'll have a longer run time compared to Dark Sun. =)
Dec 31, 2018 3:25 PM

Sep 2015
The real Joker was this anime. Ba dum tss!
Dec 31, 2018 9:45 PM
Jun 2017
love this episode, its a long one but i love how the story goes between the Phantom thieves vs Shido and Akechi... hahaha...
Jan 1, 2019 10:09 AM

Feb 2014
So its gonna end with the end of the world then again. Stars and ours, ruins and scenarios.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 1, 2019 11:00 AM

May 2018
well then them guys playing Akechi was something, but it looks like they now have an arch enemy
Jan 1, 2019 10:07 PM

Sep 2016
Ryuji's 'death' scene was kinda lackluster in the anime because he returned too soon. Should have let the gang weep a little longer. Haha.

I remember feeling sad at that scene in the game. Then he showed up like normal. Damn it Ryuji! Feeling so trolled in that moment! XD
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Jan 2, 2019 7:35 AM

Sep 2011
I was really glad to see that amazing opening again, it felt like such a waste to only have it in the last episode of the anime, so it was great.

Pretty good special too, the start was heavy with exposition, but it couldn't be helped. I loved this moment in the game, it really felt like a big triumph. And as usual they had trouble making the battles compelling or to let the emotional moments land, but it was good! Akechi doesn't really deserves to be completely forgiven, but at the very least he should be understood, especially because he could have been fleshed out in a better way.

And I just hate how they turned what should've been a moving moment into a joke. Ryuji could've died, and for a moment they believed he did; so getting angry at him for surviving is just so lame, a big group hug or something would've been so great, one of my least favorite scenes from the story no doubt.

Welp, there's one more coming. And also... *inhales* A RIVER IN A DRY LAAAAAAAAAAAAND, The last ace in a lost haaaaaand!!
Jan 9, 2019 5:18 AM

Dec 2010
Can someone confirm this,

The seiyuu of Shido is the same as Akai Shuuichi in Detective Conan.
Jan 10, 2019 1:11 AM

Sep 2016
booyah10 said:
Can someone confirm this,

The seiyuu of Shido is the same as Akai Shuuichi in Detective Conan.

Yeah that's Ikeda Shuuichi.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Jan 19, 2019 10:22 PM

Jan 2014
did Akechi really died?
Jan 22, 2019 4:55 AM

Sep 2013
That was a pretty damn good episode with the hype river in the dessert ost. Even atlus animate yoshitsune and his OP skill to beat that boss.
Feb 16, 2019 4:29 PM

Jan 2011
was good by the anime version's standard was a bit disappointed at first with how they were playing River In The Desert but later redeemed .

looked alright too still forever fast paced think December to end game was like 20hours + so it's a lot to cram into 2 ovas even at a hour long length
Oct 10, 2019 9:48 PM

Mar 2015
That pacing is really bad! I feel horrible for the viewers who haven't played the game!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 2, 2020 3:28 PM

Jul 2015
Quite the elaborate plan they had setup to trick Akechi and free Renren. Man that scumbag Akechi really had some inferiority complex and daddy issues if only he didn't succumb onto that revenge path...he could've eaten some pancakes. Fight was pretty good never mess with Renren, Shido dug his own grave by pressing those false charges. Almost shed tears there dumbass Ryuji... just walking nonchalantly while everyone is bursting into tears,,,

Apr 25, 2023 5:07 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well at least Shido's palace is done and we got Akechi's final battle (too bad this come out before Royal, so not true ending with Akechi)... now it's all up to the final part of the original ending.
May 1, 12:36 AM
Dec 2021
if i wanted to watch a sequence of cutscenes i would just play the game, it would be more fun too

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Specials Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2019

24 by ArctiKFox »»
May 2, 8:17 PM

» What comes next? *spoilers*

LittleGreenJules - Dec 3, 2018

3 by iScream4z »»
Sep 17, 2019 2:21 PM

» What will this adapt?

ropiel - Dec 2, 2018

18 by GoldenDevilGamer »»
Dec 31, 2018 8:03 AM

» 1 episode?

OtakuOne - Dec 3, 2018

1 by JUUSEE »»
Dec 3, 2018 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.