Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2016 7:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow that was exciting. Action took off right from the start with an appealing OST. Furthermore, the artwork is refreshing or at least feels different. There's some bits of fan service but it's not really distracting.

A few weird body movements aside, I think the quality was pretty good.

They introduced more characters than I had expected but it's a nice setup so far for the remainder course of the season. The premise of the fantasy world and guilds is also interesting enough. Barbara's outfit though lol.

The theme song is nice.
Jan 10, 2016 8:04 AM

Aug 2013
From the pacing, i think they will adapt 3 vols at most.

Dat Barbara though lol, so many semen demons this season o_o

Quite a nice episode overall. Now let's see how many Ranta hateposts will appear here..
Jan 10, 2016 8:11 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Curry-kun said:

Quite a nice episode overall. Now let's see how many Ranta hateposts will appear here..
So this series is only 1 cour?
Jan 10, 2016 8:13 AM

Mar 2014
That. Was. Great.

Seriously different from the novels though.

Them enjoying their food? Haha, what a laugh.
That scene of them waking up and eating at the start is largely anime original.

As expected of the anime, the world building is much much better, there's just so much going on in the background that it adds a lot to the world, the novel never did find time to make the world feel really alive outside of the MCs and their immediate surroundings.

I expected Haruhiro to be way more different, he's still plenty different but it's a good compromise I'd say, I like him so it's ok. :)
Other characters are pretty spot on though.

As for skipped stuff, well, they did like the manga and started with a fight rather than with the wake up, which is alright here, showed how clumsy they are and stuff right away, indifferent towards that.
Haruhiro also never got to wonder around town by himself after they formed a group (hell, the group forming part was also skipped more or less) which means a character from the novel won't appear, not that they played a big role anyway (they also skipped them walking to town from the tower, which skips yet another only-used-during-that-scene-and-then-ignored-forever character), the bank system was never introduced (not that it mattered anyway, though I figure this means they won't have MC counting coins every night like he does in the novels, also, another random irrelevant character lol).
We also don't see them wonder if they should join the force or not, they just kinda are thrown in.
They can always bring that stuff in next episode though.

Problem with skipping the group forming part is that we basically don't know any of the other characters, we don't need to know them but it'd be a nice thing to keep. The skipping the trip to town part also skips a lot of characterization but the rest of the scenes made up for it so it's no big deal.
Also, in the novels Mogzo

Manato also

We also see them fighting goblins right away, in the novels they still tried some pit rats first and failed at it because they sucked and went for goblins because they'd be "easier" for being more their size and stuff.

Reminder that the anime might not get the point across because it's moving a bit fast (the manga failed to do so) but these guys are meant to have spent a long time fighting the same monsters over and over.

OST and visuals were amazing though and the theme song was pretty good.

It's hard for me to judge this by itself since I'm basically just putting this on top of what I already know but it feels like there's no need for worries here, they got this down really nicely and it's gonna be a great show.
Paulo27Jan 10, 2016 8:16 AM
Jan 10, 2016 8:17 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Glad that it didn't disappoint! Now A-1 has two impressive anime premieres this season. The action is top-notch and the animations are great. The art style is unique and interesting. The background music works well with the content. The world-some building is nice too. There's fanservice, but then, the PVs warned me about that :D

5/5

Tokoya said:
Yes, it will be 12 episodes.
Jan 10, 2016 8:18 AM

Jan 2015
Tokoya said:
Curry-kun said:

Yes. I would have preferred 2 cours tbh.
Jan 10, 2016 8:21 AM

Mar 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Tokoya said:

Everyone would. :3
Jan 10, 2016 8:39 AM

Jul 2013
Paulo27 said:
Xenocrisi said:

Everyone would. :3

As long as they don't end up AO at the end somehow. ^^

Jan 10, 2016 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
Art and OST are really nice. Also liking the animation. The beginning's a bit different from what I've read in the manga and the novels (only barely skimmed through in the first volume though), but it worked. Looks to be a promising start so far.
Jan 10, 2016 9:01 AM

Sep 2013
They forgot to put "Tragedy" in the genre tag.
Jan 10, 2016 9:02 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Complete focus on world building, interesting start. Looks like it will be character-driven as well. Promising.
Jan 10, 2016 9:09 AM

Jan 2012
Very relaxed pace, but I loved what I saw, especially Shihoru and Barbara's big beautiful tits! :D Maybe they'll finally kill a goblin next week. :) I wouldn't mind if this was longer than 1 cour, bummed it isn't.
Jan 10, 2016 9:11 AM

Jan 2015
So it'd be another "Stuck-in-Game and try to survive" but plus the "Amnesia for the Real world" Anime story?
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 10, 2016 9:19 AM

Jan 2015
Relaxing episode, yet it felt like 5 minutes. Loved the world building and dat art damn!

^Put a spoiler
XenocrisiJan 10, 2016 9:26 AM
Jan 10, 2016 9:24 AM

Dec 2015
Nice episode so far. Like the fact they are weak in this life threatening world they got stuck into. More like Log Horizon imo.
Will continue with this.
Jan 10, 2016 9:27 AM

Mar 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Relaxing episode, yet it felt like 5 minutes. Loved the world building and dat art damn!

^Put a spoiler
Can't, so I guess I'll delete my post.
Some next level plot twist there if that was the case tho.
Jan 10, 2016 9:27 AM

Jan 2015
Paulo27 said:
Mascera said:
So it'd be another "Stuck-in-Game and try to survive" but plus the "Amnesia for the Real world" Anime story?
It's not really a game though, and "another" is up to you.

It's not really a Game-related? Because... Well, the "Another" I mean here is for previous "stuck in MMO-related" Anime like Overlord, Log Horizon, or SAO. But this one plus for the "Amnesia", for they have no thought that they're "stuck" in an MMO world.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 10, 2016 9:28 AM

Oct 2014
Okay first episode with the general introductions of characters, setting and immediate goals in place. It might have felt a little slow at times but the SoL was kinda nice. Although, I still despise the crux of any conversation revolving around Ranta and Yume, since it usually devolves into "stop talking your boobs are small."

Side note: I was expecting Yume to talk in third person nonstop... I am greatly disappointed
Jan 10, 2016 9:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Surprisingly slow start for an anime of this nature. Hard to really get a feel for it as of yet

Also very atypical art style for an A1 production

Jun 2013
Nice episode, they introduced the world and setting, seems interesting so far. I am interested in what's coming next. So they are in a game like setting, but can't remember stuff from the real world? Slow start but decent.

Aug 2010
Definitely a keeper. Surpassed my expectations by quite a bit. Liking the cast. The art and atmosphere is beautiful!

Dem chicks are insanely HAWT :L Dat Barbara HOLY SHIT! Yume's got a nice ass and her kansai accent is <3 Shihoru's cute. Dem thighs and oppai. Ur not that fat girl ^^;

http://imgur.com/a/pUmD4

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Jan 2015
From the anime only perspective it was pretty decent, good world building and the art&animation was on point for the most part. Don't know how to feel about the VA's though.

However I am greatly saddened from my LN point of view of them skipping the dynamic of the team and how it was formed as I think seeing the city would have been good along with how the teams were actually formed.

I don't even know what to think of Renji's character design.

Still waiting patiently for Mary...
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jan 10, 2016 9:31 AM

Oct 2014
bobzanny said:

Still waiting patiently for Mary...

Good man... the true best girl has yet to arrive.
Jan 10, 2016 9:32 AM
Jun 2014
Nice start. I don't know why but I got the feeling that Manato is gonna die lol, he is a little too nice for the environment they are in
Jan 10, 2016 9:34 AM

Jul 2014
It was a pretty chill episode, mainly focusing on world building and establishing the characters, but it still ended up being really enjoyable despite that. It'll be nice for once to really focus on a group of characters who aren't excessively overpowered. Also, given that these characters have clearly been taken to Grimgar from our world at some point, I'm curious to see whether the show touches on that in any way, other than them saying things like "cell phone" every now and then and not knowing why or what it means.

I'm quite liking the art style and the OP as well.
Jan 10, 2016 9:44 AM
Mar 2015
Nothing really happened in this first episode. It was pretty empty, but I love how it looks, pretty refreshing.
Jan 10, 2016 9:44 AM

May 2010
good start but i hope they go somewhere else with this compared to all the other "stuck in an mmorpg" shows. really love the art style..it looks like an oil painting!
Jan 10, 2016 9:45 AM

Sep 2010
It was rather good first episode although I am wondering whatever they really were aiming for this background style or they simply decided that they don't have enough money/time/skills to make it look normal. Oh well...

Unfortunately though because I am cursed with "I read LN of this" disease, I am not fully happy how the episode plan out. I actually like the start of the Novel a lot and here it was just briefly mentioned.

Curry-kun said:

Oh! I will have to hold back on watching when the series reaches third volume which is not translated yet.
Jan 10, 2016 9:45 AM

Mar 2009
I guess it was nice, but I didn't like the pacing... well, let's hope for the best
Jan 10, 2016 9:49 AM

Feb 2014
A-1 Pictures definitely brought their A game this season with great starts to Erased, Gate and now Grimgar. Seriously the animation was wonderful and the characters seem very good. No doubt this episode was a little slow but the setup is very promising. One of the better debuts of the season so far.
Jan 10, 2016 9:49 AM

Jul 2010
This kind of reminded of the game MapleStory, especially how they began "classless", as a beginner and choosing a class from there.

With the drama tag, wonder how it would unfold, I do have quite a bit of hope for this one.
Jan 10, 2016 9:50 AM

Jul 2014
Grimgal logic = I'm going to cry because I think I'm fat, but I'm totally going to accept this life and death situation where I'm transported to another world with no prior knowledge and I have amnesia.

wat?

Love the art, fluidity of the animation and man the world building is great. Thus far the characters are highly enjoyable and each have their own, individual and distinct personality (was expecting a 0 personality main character tbh) and the character designs are great.

A-1 is slaying it this season with this and Boku dake.
"Hi!"
Jan 10, 2016 9:52 AM

Jun 2013
Will the girl with big boobs and the MC be together or something?
Jan 10, 2016 9:52 AM

Mar 2014
D3pthCharge said:
Okay first episode with the general introductions of characters, setting and immediate goals in place. It might have felt a little slow at times but the SoL was kinda nice. Although, I still despise the crux of any conversation revolving around Ranta and Yume, since it usually devolves into "stop talking your boobs are small."

Side note: I was expecting Yume to talk in third person nonstop... I am greatly disappointed
Ranta does feel like he'll be a lot more tolerable though, I do think half of it was MC remarking how annoying he is, which won't happen as often in the anime and you'll have to form your own opinion on him.

It also doesn't have Haruhiro correcting Yume, I want some of those. :c
Jan 10, 2016 9:56 AM

Jan 2015
Curry-kun said:

I only read 2 volumes but Ranta did have some of the best/most annoying moments. Wish they showed off more banter from Ranta and Haruhiro.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jan 10, 2016 9:56 AM

Sep 2014
I thought this was a strong first episode, it let you get used to the characters. I don't really like Shihoru though. The way the backgrounds were drawn were pretty unique.
Jan 10, 2016 9:57 AM

Nov 2014
I like the art design, shading, and backgrounds. It's pleasant to look at.

Ranta's rant about boobs and fat was dumb.

"After today, tomorrow will come again." That dialog...

I can already see where this story is headed. Hopefully it'll have some surprises.

3/5
Jan 10, 2016 10:06 AM

Aug 2012
meh...
It was ok I guess...
Jan 10, 2016 10:07 AM

Nov 2010
I`m highly disappointed with this first episode. The first half was good, we had some action, some world building and exposition, but most of the second half was awfully boring and unnecessary. The VAs are decent, the only one that irks me is the MC, it sounds too old/mature for the way he looks. At least the art and animation are top-notch, so i really hope the story will pick up and not be another SAO2 disaster.
Jan 10, 2016 10:07 AM
Sep 2014
Kuronekoz said:
The hell? This episode was so fucking boring LOL, wtf are your tastes? This felt like a chore to watch, honestly.

So glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I'll continue to watch, but I'm not very enthusiastic about it based off of this episode.
Jan 10, 2016 10:11 AM

Mar 2012
Despite not having much to start of with..i am already thinking this is going to be my anime of the season for me. What can i say i like Fantasy series and this is my type of story.

However from the first episode alone i already found quite a few interesting details that make this premise more unique than others of this type.

One all the characters have lost there memory so they are literally in no mans land with no clue or hints what to do.

They have to be guided first and have to go trough training and not just straight into battle and have op skills and even after training, real world situations are still not as easy to grasp and there life is no luxury they still have to work, face tough challenges of everyday life and in there keep and all of them are working as a group in order to accomplish something.

The World building in this first episode has also been done quite well...it gave some nice exposition and a little bit of character development which was great although we still need to know more about them as not much was explored of them yet but this being the first ep they have plenty of time to do so.

This has been the most promising start of the whole season and i think it will definitely be one of my favs of the year if the rest of the episodes are as good as the first episode.
Jan 10, 2016 10:13 AM

Apr 2015
I do appreciate that the series accepts the sexual attraction among the teenagers without over the top music In the background.

The entire episode had very laid back nature to it; very quiet too and I admired the directors choice for that, or whomever chose not to have it be loud. The characters are too basic currently, but I hope they get rounded out later on instead of the tropes they currently represent. They weren't as annoying In their representation of them as other series, so that's a plus too.
Jan 10, 2016 10:16 AM

May 2009
Yume is cute though..
Jan 10, 2016 10:19 AM

Aug 2008
It's true that "stuck in a game" story is getting beaten to death in past years but it was quite enjoyable. Well, aside from loud redhead prick. I hate his personality but I hate his voice even more. That VA was the main reason I dropped Bahamut after the first episode. Luckily, here he's not the only main character so maybe it will get diluted enough to be bearable.

On a side note, I really like the one minor detail that came up when they were talking with pink haired. They can't have any job other than "adventurers". It would be a great idea for a MMO where you're not one of millions "chosen heroes" running around doing some crappy jobs but part of a caste that is prohibited from normal life and has to risk their life fighting monsters.
TyrelJan 25, 2016 11:56 AM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 10, 2016 10:21 AM

Jun 2014
I like the way the background art looks. It seems kind of unique as I can't recall seeing another anime that had backgrounds that look like that.

Putting that aside though, this got off to a pretty slow start. It's only the first episode though, so of course we're mostly going to be introduced to the setting and the characters in it. Kind of sad that 6 of them couldn't beat a couple of goblins. I get that they're just starting out but still......also not sure how to feel about Haruhiro's VA, his voice doesn't really match how he looks. The start wasn't that good, but I can see this being somewhat decent, so lets see how this progresses.

One more thing, they actually are stuck in a video game right? But they just have no knowledge of that fact? Because the synopsis says they're in a world that's "like something out of a video game."
thebrentinator24Jan 10, 2016 10:48 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 2014
I'm pretty sure they're not stuck in a game.
"Hi!"
Jul 2018
F*ck BokuDake, AOTS right here guys!

It was okay. Seems like a nice watch inbetween good ones.
Jan 10, 2016 10:29 AM

Apr 2015
I enjoyed it a lot.It seems different in an interesting tone.Promising!
Jan 10, 2016 10:36 AM

Oct 2014
It was not bad, but i am a little dissapointed, because i expected more of it.
Also, lol @ the 5 Minute Boob talk.
Jan 10, 2016 10:38 AM

Mar 2008
StrayCat-sama said:
6 adventurers, 1 goblin, worst team in history.

Honestly I was quite bored with this. Probably won't continue unless someone kicks it.

Now let's be fair....there were 2 goblins.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

464 by Anjopskun »»
May 1, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2016

489 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 30, 5:44 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.