Forum Settings
Forums

US citizens pushing for a $15 minimum wage.

New
May 18, 2015 4:43 PM
Jan 2015
This is a new political/economic affair going on in the U.S. and Seattle has already abided. Honestly, I'm wholeheartedly against this rising issue in America.

Raising minimum wage will just lead to inflation and the loss of jobs for many poor people who aren't secured to a union. Smaller businesses will die out from costs and will have to either cut down on workers or increase price at the the sake of losing consumers. It's forced inflation that isn't really good for the economy.

Am I missing something beneficial about the idea or is the "99%" being dumb as usual?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2015 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
I'm against it too.
May 18, 2015 5:05 PM

Jan 2009
a healthy deflation is better, i agree with you this will just worsen inflation

the problem is that the limited money is going to the rich more now a days, that is the bad side effect of capitalism that rich people gets richer while poor people gets more poorer, so tax more and more the rich people to increase government help for poor people
May 18, 2015 5:06 PM

Jun 2008
How the hell would that even work?

I'm all for pushing the minimum up, but there's no way it could go THAT high.

I mean right now the federal Minimum wage is $7.25...

Maybe $10 is more fair....but $15 is nuts!

BTW....the Median Household income in the U.S is only about $51,000 or so.

But MOST Households contain at least two working adults.

So let's say that everyone gets $15 an hour....that's about $31,000/yr not including bonuses or OT or anything extra.

The Median household income would definitely go way higher.....and naturally (I would assume) so would the cost of living.
May 18, 2015 5:25 PM

Apr 2014
We've had minimum wage increases in Canada lately, but it's from province to province and I find it does absolutely nothing. Here in BC it is the lowest in Canada I believe at 10.25 p/hr. Really, all you're going to see by a minimum wage increase is everything else inflate.

What's actually kind of crazy here in BC is that we have such a low minimum wage and yet the price of living in relation to that is absolutely ridiculous. Of course I'm more relating to the lower mainland of BC. I would say that has no relation to our wages at the moment.
Nop.
May 18, 2015 5:35 PM

Nov 2008
$15 is too much, it should be capped at $12 an hour.

May 18, 2015 6:11 PM

Jun 2013
I see no problem in having a higher minimum wage, however $15 is insane maybe somewhere along 10-12 at the most
May 18, 2015 6:19 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I say go for it. Apocalyptic predictions about inflation seem just like fear-mongering to me. Alaska gives money away to its citizens (way more than $15, btw), and it's inflation rate it's not going through the roof.
May 18, 2015 6:55 PM

Mar 2008
15 is a bit high. Maybe 10 or 12.
May 18, 2015 7:08 PM

Mar 2012
"Minimum wage increases cause inflation." is misleading for two reasons. First, insofar as inflation refers to an increase in average price levels, any increase in any price will cause some inflation. What matters is how much, and that argument rests on the dubious assumption that minimum wage increases necessarily cause a lot of inflation. Second (related), inflation is not inherently bad. In fact, some inflation is necessary (good). So the fact that something causes inflation does not tell you that it is bad for the economy.

"Minimum wage increases cause unemployment." is also misleading. As far as I know, there is no consensus among economists on this question. Some say "yes", some (most, perhaps) say "yes, but only a little", some say "no". It definitely cannot be assumed that any given increase in minimum wage will cause a non-negligible amount of unemployment.

On a related note, it's worth remembering that nominal and real prices are different.

Minimum wage increases that keep pace with current inflation are just nominal changes; in real value terms, they do nothing. They do not make it any easier or harder on anyone (workers, employers, others).

As shown here, the US's federal minimum real wage has actually been declining since the mid-60's. So people can argue for a federal minimum wage of ~$10 on the grounds that it used to be $10 (in real terms). I think that's an intuitively compelling argument, economics/politics/etc. aside.

But even in real terms, $15 would be much higher than any previous minimum wage. Would it be too much of a shock to introduce it all at once? Probably. Would it be economically damaging if it was phased in over time? I'm not sure.

There's also a social dimension, which I'm pretty sure is where "fight for $15" is exclusively coming from. They want a living wage.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 18, 2015 7:14 PM

Aug 2007
BlueScarf said:
This is a new political/economic affair going on in the U.S. and Seattle has already abided. Honestly, I'm wholeheartedly against this rising issue in America.

Raising minimum wage will just lead to inflation and the loss of jobs for many poor people who aren't secured to a union. Smaller businesses will die out from costs and will have to either cut down on workers or increase price at the the sake of losing consumers. It's forced inflation that isn't really good for the economy.

Am I missing something beneficial about the idea or is the "99%" being dumb as usual?

Or they need to make it a law that inflation doesn't raise as much as when minimum wage does. The companies only raise the price of products more because they know people can afford them more. Not because of how much it costs to make the product.
May 18, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2012
BlueScarf said:
Raising minimum wage will just lead to inflation and the loss of jobs for many poor people who aren't secured to a union.
You're right. It leads to cost push inflation, but the assumption seems to be that the inflation would rise to the same proportion against minimum wage (i.e. 1-15/9 = 60%), and that just isn't the case. What it will do is redistribute income so that all of society shares some of the burden of the minimum wage workers, which makes some sense, because change in minimum wage is lagging change in GDP.

The other assumption is that the rise in minimum wage would go instantly from $9 to $15, which would undoubtedly cause nasty consequences. Again, policy like this is usually phased in stages over the course of, say, 8 years. So we'll see it rise $1-2 every few years, depending on economic circumstances.

j0x said:

the problem is that the limited money is going to the rich more now a days, that is the bad side effect of capitalism that rich people gets richer while poor people gets more poorer, so tax more and more the rich people to increase government help for poor people
Raising minimum wage is a tax to rich people (and middle class) on behest of the poor, which gets taxed too, but gain more overall. The cost of products is not going to rise proportionally to minimum wage gains, labor isn't the only cost of doing business.

And I don't know what you mean by worsen inflation. Inflation hasn't been high because the unemployment rate has been high. Now that we're near full employment, the Fed will probably start raising interest rates to curtail it. It might also be a good time for a tax hike.
katsucatsMay 18, 2015 9:24 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 18, 2015 8:34 PM

Dec 2014
I think that the government shouldn't force it upon companies to make 15 dollars a minimum wage. I think companies who want better employees will pay more and companies who want to lose out on employees to other companies who have a better deal on the table. I think it should be like that.

In the end, if the middle class ends up being destroyed, and the gap between rich and poor become even greater than something bad will happen in this country.
May 18, 2015 8:35 PM

Jan 2009
katsucats said:

j0x said:

Raising minimum wage is a tax to rich people (and middle class) on behest of the poor, which gets taxed too, but gain more overall. The cost of products is not going to rise proportionally to minimum wage gains, labor isn't the only cost of doing business.

And I don't know what you mean by worsen inflation. Inflation hasn't been high because the unemployment rate has been high. Now that we're near full employment, the Fed will probably start raising interest rates to curtail it. It might also be a good time for a tax hike.

ye economics is more complex because of a lot of variables, and i do not know much about USA inflation rate now a days but what i know is that inflation for most economy is continuous thats why i said this will worsen inflation or i should have said increase more inflation

i witness continuous high inflation here in our country for decades now, especially if the minimum wage is increase then the prices of goods and services will also increase, defeating the purpose of raising the minimum wage
May 18, 2015 8:41 PM

Oct 2012
j0x said:
i witness continuous high inflation here in our country for decades now, especially if the minimum wage is increase then the prices of goods and services will also increase, defeating the purpose of raising the minimum wage
But you're assuming that if minimum wage increases, let's say, from $10 to $12 (just to make our math easier), inflation would also increase 20%. After all, that's what's necessary to "defeat the purpose of raising minimum wage". But there's no reason to believe that cost is going to increase 20% just because minimum wage is increased 20%. The cost of labor from minimum wage workers isn't a corporation's only costs; there is also transportation, manufacturing technology, research and development, storage, government expenses, higher salary workers, etc.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 18, 2015 8:53 PM

Jan 2009
katsucats said:
j0x said:
But you're assuming that if minimum wage increases, let's say, from $10 to $12 (just to make our math easier), inflation would also increase 20%. After all, that's what's necessary to "defeat the purpose of raising minimum wage". But there's no reason to believe that cost is going to increase 20% just because minimum wage is increased 20%. The cost of labor from minimum wage workers isn't a corporation's only costs; there is also transportation, manufacturing technology, research and development, storage, government expenses, higher salary workers, etc.

ye there are more costly things for the rich, but from what i know this rich people that runs businesses will just increase the prices of their products and services for them to pay the increase in minimum wage, this rich people can be greedy that they will not sacrifice their profit

i agree with this USA Senator
"We have seen, in recent years, an explosion in technology...You should expect a significant increase in your income, because you're producing more, or maybe you would be able to work significantly fewer hours." - Sen. Bernie Sanders

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/33q6os/we_have_seen_in_recent_years_an_explosion_in/

the unfair majority of money always ends up on the bank accounts of rich people, capitalism is also about greed
May 18, 2015 9:07 PM

Nov 2009
In the 60's the minimum wage would have been equivalent to $17/hour if you factor in inflation. I think that the wealth gap of this country has gotten rather bad, in fact the last time it was this steep was in the "roaring 20's", I don't have to remind you how that ended. Our country has proven time and time again that if enough people cannot afford the necessities required to live, they have the potential to drag down the entire US economy. This bullshit about Minimum Wage being "too expensive" is only because industries decided to raise minimum wage at a pace nowhere near relevant to the increase in inflation. In fact, as it stands right now, if I wanted to live off of minimum wage, I would have to work 3-4 full time jobs (around 120-160 hours a week), which I can assure you, isn't humanly possible.
May 18, 2015 9:14 PM

Mar 2008
Those poor poor billionaires who own companies. Minimum wage should be 5 cents an hour so they can be trillionares :'(
May 18, 2015 9:19 PM

Oct 2012
j0x said:
the unfair majority of money always ends up on the bank accounts of rich people, capitalism is also about greed
I disagree with that sentiment. It's just sour and counterproductive. Of course the rich, by mere virtue of being "rich", gets most of the money. This is not a fault of Capitalism; it may even be an advantage. But life isn't on an absolute scale where the richest person in the world has 100% satisfaction in life, and the rest is proportional. In fact, how much money a rich person makes is almost irrelevant to the quality of life of an average person. This wouldn't have been true if money was pinned to natural resources like the gold standard, but that's part of the reason why government issued money to begin with. Hence, there are actions the government could take to increase the standard of living of the poor.

This whole Capitalism is greed, politicians are corrupt, businessmen are immoral creed is a pessimistic self-fulfilling prophecy, a masturbatory pity-fest in my opinion. There will always be dynamics in social dynamics, and some will come out ahead by mere statistics, if anything.

Economics is where we discuss how this happens. Assuming the worst of every situation, therefore nothing we do will help, is to give up before you even start.

On topic: I seriously doubt that if you raise minimum wage, which amounts to a small piece of the overall corporation cost pie, that Wal-mart is going to raise a $9 product to $15. In fact, in the end, the cost of the product is settled by the demand, and not arbitrary corporation "greed". Secondly, the math doesn't add up.

Let's say that the cost breakdown is something like this:
$0.50 transportation costs
$0.15 warehouse storage
$0.04 retail floor space
$1.40 manufacturing
$0.25 import tax + safety testing
$0.40 sales and marketing
$0.40 licensing
$0.50 labor
$3.64 TOTAL

Now, you increase your labor from $0.50 to $0.75, right? An 50% increase.
The cost is now $3.89, barely a 7% increase. The cost did not go from $3.64 to $5.46, an 50% increase, just because the cost of labor increased 50%.

Thus, the poor person who made $400 a week and now $600 a week won't see exactly 50% increase in expendable income (since costs will increase), but he won't see 0% either.

traed said:
Those poor poor billionaires who own companies. Minimum wage should be 5 cents an hour so they can be trillionares :'(
This kind of sentimentalist shit completely misses the point as well.
katsucatsMay 18, 2015 9:23 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 18, 2015 9:26 PM

Dec 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
Bloodshade said:
I think that the government shouldn't force it upon companies to make 15 dollars a minimum wage. I think companies who want better employees will pay more and companies who want to lose out on employees to other companies who have a better deal on the table. I think it should be like that.

In the end, if the middle class ends up being destroyed, and the gap between rich and poor become even greater than something bad will happen in this country.
I think the general trend suggests the opposite: that a lot of companies will always go for what maximizes their profits and that usually entails either paying the lowest wage possible or outsourcing overseas to people that do work that's much more efficient but at dirt cheap prices.

traed said:

Right, so what happens if the government forces these huge companies to pay a minimum wage. Lets say its 15 dollars then it goes up to 20 dollars. So it will all keep going up. So then what do these huge companies do? Well here are are a few things.

1. They increase prices of there product. People end up paying more.
2. They lay off a large number of employees to compensate.
3. They get a bunch of lawyers and find loop holes in the law so they can get away with whatever.
4. They go outsource completely.
5. Eventually they might just say "Fuck America, we're moving out". Then they move to a country that lets them have more free reign.

Either way it will be a negative situation.

I also think that if the general population keeps getting poorer and the middle class is erased there will be backlash. As in mobs with torches going after the super wealthy of this country.

I'm not advocating for huge corporation or rich people. I'm just saying that the situation of having the government to force companies to pay a minimum wage that is ever increasing won't work out well either.

P.S. Economics is bullshit. I'm not a Libertarians either.
May 18, 2015 9:29 PM

Jan 2009
@katsucats

well i will quote again this

j0x said:

i agree with this USA Senator
"We have seen, in recent years, an explosion in technology...You should expect a significant increase in your income, because you're producing more, or maybe you would be able to work significantly fewer hours." - Sen. Bernie Sanders

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/33q6os/we_have_seen_in_recent_years_an_explosion_in/

this shows that rich people that controls businesses do not want to increase the minimum wage anyway, and worse they do not want to voluntary increase salary, as the other poster have said this businesses will go for maximizing profit and they will even go as far as employing low wage workers from poor countries or directly do outsourcing to poor countries

its happening for a long time now its not just some fantasy or self fulfilling prophecy, just look at how high the wealth inequality in america alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

so i doubt increasing minimum wage is the answer to this, thats why i said earlier to better tax more and more the rich
May 18, 2015 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
Lol, my body is ready to have to have a Master's degree to flip burgers if this happens.
May 18, 2015 9:31 PM

Sep 2010
I'm not smart when it comes to economics or politics, but I think they should at least make it $10~$12 its more livable than $7.25 or $8.00. Not by much it does help out a little bit.

Easiest way to make a big pay check that is near $15/hr is to go to a technical school cause the ones I seen around here are $3,000~5,000 and its only a year or a year and a half I think. Then you can instantly land in a career if you are lucky to find a place hiring.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 18, 2015 9:46 PM

Dec 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
@Bloodshade

All of those factors are honestly dependent on a variety of factors and the academic research that is out there, along with economics data, rarely make any conclusive findings on what happens if you raise minimum wage. In theory, we know that there is an equilibrium price where moving above or below that wage price has negative economic effects, but in an inefficient market, the effects of that are honestly more unclear.

For instance, when you talk about companies increasing the prices of the a product. Sure people end up paying more, but is the effect of that negligible or not? That depends on discretionary spending, wages (which have now been raised for people), and spending habits in general.

If you're talking about laying off a large number of employees to compensate that also depends. It depends on how large the company is, how profitable they are, and whether they care about the hit on their bottom line when they increase salaries, because certain companies would certainly benefit from wage increases, as the same people who work for retail/fast food chains (who will benefit the most from an increasing in a minimum wage) would likely go and buy products from the very places they work at. There's a bit of evidence for this, and a lot of my friends also do the exact same thing (working at Walmart/shopping at Walmart).

So again, the benefit/negative implications are largely unknown.

As far as hiring lawyers....I mean that's mostly a tax issue, not an issue of minimum wage.

Outsourcing is a legitimate concern, but there's been an increase of attention on the abuse of workers in third world countries. Not a lot of places want that sort of negative rep on their plate, not to mention that as third world countries democratize and people in those countries begin demanding the same workers' rights and compensation that we get in the States, the options for these companies become limited. This is part of the reason more jobs could have come back to the States over the last few years. Outsourcing is great, but as far as the ridiculous benefits that people were getting a couple of years ago, the playing field is leveling and I don't believe it's necessarily a humongous benefit that will last for decades.

A lot of countries already station their headquarters in non-US countries in Europe/Asia, but that doesn't mean they're going to stop business in the United States. We're the biggest consumer economy on the planet. A company that doesn't want to do business in America is honestly, from a financial standpoint, a stupid company.

I'm not saying they would STOP doing business in the U.S. I'm saying they would move there base of operations somewhere else. Of course they would still be making money off Americans.

Yes everything I said is speculation, and it depends on different variables. However, they aren't that far fetched. Companies have hired lawyers to change laws to benefit them. They are outsourcing more and more every day. Companies have laid off to compensate. So what I'm saying isn't exactly a fantasy.
May 18, 2015 9:59 PM

Oct 2014
Huh? Genuine question, so how much do Americans actually earn, when it comes to the crappiest of craps jobs? I am working a crap job here in Australia and my wages is already USD$20 an hour. And while things can be expensive here, necessities don't usually cost that much. But houses do unfortunately.
May 18, 2015 10:01 PM

Dec 2014
Khaosman said:
Huh? Genuine question, so how much do Americans actually earn, when it comes to the crappiest of craps jobs? I am working a crap job here in Australia and my wages is already USD$20 an hour. And while things can be expensive here, necessities don't usually cost that much. But houses do unfortunately.

Crappiest jobs 7.50 to 10.00 usually.
It depends on where you live in America.

What kind of job do you have?
May 18, 2015 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
with how much technology increases productivity (also automation removing a lot of human jobs) and profit for businesses now a days basic income is also a good alternative, with basic income the government can remove entirely the minimum wage idea, they just gonna tax anyone depending on their wealth, so the more rich you are the more taxes you will get in order to help financially the poor https://www.reddit.com/r/basicincome/wiki/index
May 18, 2015 10:36 PM
Apr 2013
>paying people more than they're worth
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
May 18, 2015 10:43 PM

Oct 2014
Bloodshade said:
Khaosman said:

A job beneath me that I don't like to talk about it. But I'll say it has to do with retail. People say, "be thankful you have a job." Well, they don't know what's it like to have an ultra-demanding Asian mum.
May 18, 2015 11:00 PM

Jul 2014
https://www.youtube.com/embed/q2gO4DKVpa8

maybe $15/hr is too much of a jump too fast but eh, I'd say its a good thing. This video was pretty convincing overall.
May 18, 2015 11:02 PM

Nov 2009
Bloodshade said:
Khaosman said:

$10? I am going to wager a bet that at most, only 10% of America has a minimum wage of $10 or higher, and quite frankly, I'm guessing that the cities that do probably comprise of about 3-5% of America (and that is being generous).
May 18, 2015 11:10 PM

Apr 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Bloodshade said:

$10? I am going to wager a bet that at most, only 10% of America has a minimum wage of $10 or higher, and quite frankly, I'm guessing that the cities that do probably comprise of about 3-5% of America (and that is being generous).

Guess? Don't guess, look it up.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx
http://www.raisetheminimumwage.com/pages/minimum-wage-state

Don't forget that there are plenty of workers (as explained in the link) who are paid below the federal min wage. I mean, that's how we basically justify our tipping culture. Employers don't pay workers enough because they expect customers to make up for their wages.
NudeBearMay 18, 2015 11:17 PM
May 18, 2015 11:33 PM

Jan 2009
Kaeis said:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/q2gO4DKVpa8

maybe $15/hr is too much of a jump too fast but eh, I'd say its a good thing. This video was pretty convincing overall.

he said "if workers have more money then businesses have more customers and needs more employees" (even though that did not happen here in our country)

ok thats reasonable too, and he gave some evidence on how increasing the minimum wage is good like what happened to Seattle and Washington, and also he sees the current problem with Capitalism and i bet he might agree with the idea of Basic Income or just Negative Income Tax too to remove the complicated social welfare that barely works from what i heard

that is rare for a rich person to say all of that, great video
degMay 18, 2015 11:37 PM
May 18, 2015 11:51 PM

Aug 2012
$15/hr? Lucky. Come here, we have a $11/day minimum wage.
May 19, 2015 12:06 AM

Jan 2009
julyan said:
we have a $11/day minimum wage.

ye and that is only for Manila area in the Philippines, and that is still not enough for a livable wage because of high inflation that continuously rise every year
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/455590/economy/moneyandbanking/new-metro-manila-p481-minimum-pay-far-from-p1-088-family-living-wage-ibon-foundation
http://www.manilatimes.net/minimum-wage-too-low/47998/
May 19, 2015 12:10 AM

Nov 2009
j0x said:
julyan said:
we have a $11/day minimum wage.

ye and that is only for Manila area in the Philippines, and that is still not enough for a livable wage because of high inflation that continuously rise every year
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/455590/economy/moneyandbanking/new-metro-manila-p481-minimum-pay-far-from-p1-088-family-living-wage-ibon-foundation
But it says its about half of the wage of living . . . Even by those standards, if I were to work on minimum wage 16 hours a day, I could not afford the costs of living (although that is probably in large part due to rent being more expensive where I live, but you get the point, the two places aren't exactly comparable)
May 19, 2015 12:13 AM

Aug 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
j0x said:

But it says its about half of the wage of living . . . Even by those standards, if I were to work on minimum wage 16 hours a day, I could not afford the costs of living (although that is probably in large part due to rent being more expensive where I live, but you get the point, the two places aren't exactly comparable)

Which is why I'm now starting to consider to drop out of college, go to US and start flipping some burgers. Surely $7.25/hr sounds like a way better offer. I don't exactly know why they're asking for a 100% increase.
May 19, 2015 12:14 AM

Jan 2009
Pirating_Ninja said:
j0x said:

ye exactly, im just saying that the Philippines is in a more worse condition
May 19, 2015 12:21 AM

Jun 2008
All I can add is personal anecdotes....

At my first ever job I earned $6/hour.....it sucked, I hated going to high school AND working, but I also wanted a car.

I lasted 4 months and raised less than $1000.

But while I was there I learned a lot.

There were mothers and grown men working the same/similar position I was....and they were making the same if not a little bit more than I was.

I have absolutely no idea how the fuck they do it.

I really don't.

The minimum wage is nowhere near a living wage and you'd honestly would need to be married to have two full incomes in order to sustain a household while earning minimum wage.

And even then....you'd have to hope the other person was making significantly more money.

Rent, utilities, cable/internet, food, insurance, miscellaneous expenses....there is simply NO WAY any individual can do this while earning the minimum wage.

Which is why the government has to give out food stamps and welfare to the very poor...

There is no doubt that the minimum wage MUST be raised.

But at the same time....I don't think it should be so drastic as to literally DOUBLE it just like that.

$10/hour would definitely be a huge improvement.

If only Congress gave a shit.
May 19, 2015 12:31 AM

Oct 2013
that's 3 minimum wages (per day) here, check your privilege
May 19, 2015 12:54 AM

Nov 2009
julyan said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

Which is why I'm now starting to consider to drop out of college, go to US and start flipping some burgers. Surely $7.25/hr sounds like a way better offer. I don't exactly know why they're asking for a 100% increase.
Where I live, would probably need to work around 12-14 hours a day flipping burgers in order to afford cost of living. But fair enough.

Do bear in mind, I am not arguing that minimum wage should cover cost of living . . . But at the same time, I actually quit my part time job and decided to take out loans so that I could get through college faster. Why? Because it would be cheaper to send me into debt now, and get out even one semester than to work part time. Even when I was working full time, it took me two years to make enough to pay one semester's worth of college at a university. Needless to say, I think that part time jobs should just strictly be for people who just need a bit of "change", you will not be able to live off of it.
May 19, 2015 1:00 AM

Mar 2008
Bloodshade said:

Right, so what happens if the government forces these huge companies to pay a minimum wage. Lets say its 15 dollars then it goes up to 20 dollars. So it will all keep going up. So then what do these huge companies do? Well here are are a few things.
Your whole argument is a slippery slope.
May 19, 2015 1:16 AM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Bloodshade said:

It really isn't a slippery slope. A lot of companies already do what I stated.

Do you ever see a min. wage go down? No you don't. It only goes up. So yes if this 15.00/hr wage passes, then its quite possible that 5 years or so after that they might end up looking for 20.00/hr. It will keep going up.
May 19, 2015 1:52 AM

Nov 2009
Bloodshade said:
traed said:

It really isn't a slippery slope. A lot of companies already do what I stated.

Do you ever see a min. wage go down? No you don't. It only goes up. So yes if this 15.00/hr wage passes, then its quite possible that 5 years or so after that they might end up looking for 20.00/hr. It will keep going up.
Yes. But do you ever see the value of the US dollar go up? Accounting for inflation is a no-brainer. The increase in minimum wage doesn't even keep up with inflation. I cannot see your argument as being any bit relevant.
May 19, 2015 8:52 AM
Mar 2014
No

people with a brain will realize the effect raising the minimum wage will have.

to make a short story short, you're going to have to pay a lot more for literally everything.
AccountKiller
May 19, 2015 9:39 AM

Nov 2009
Ubo said:
No

to make a short story short, you're going to have to pay a lot more for literally everything.
This was already pointed out, but A) Labor is not the only (or primary) source behind cost of a product and B) The average CEO's income has gone from 30 times their average employee's wage to 500 times their average employee's wage in the last 30 years. In other words. The money going to "salaries" has been going at a constant pace, it is just to whose salary the money has been going to has greatly shifted over the years.

Also, Take a look at Seattle. Their minimum wage is $15. In San Diego, where I live, the minimum wage is $9. However, the cost of living in Seattle is still lower than that of San Diego, products are not more expensive in Seattle than in San Diego. Isn't that odd? How the hell did that happen?
May 19, 2015 10:02 AM
Always yours.

Apr 2015
From a business stand point, increasing the minimum wage would mean more payout to the workers (especially on the lower end as there are not many of those "high-earning" workers, e.g. C-level, R&D people). If that payout increases, businesses, especially the larger ones, would need to slow down its growth. If growth is slower, then the entire economy would feel an effect.

Indeed, that is only looking at it from a logical standpoint. I'm not sure if this is how it would theoretically happen.
May 19, 2015 10:09 AM

Feb 2014
I'm against the 15$ minimum wage due to many reasons like the users before me explained. The only thing I can add is that the U.S. is very diverse, meaning there's mountainous regions, forests, towns, and cities. While I feel like the minimum wage could be bumped up just a little bit, I feel like some areas in the country could use a little bit more of a bump.
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
May 19, 2015 10:17 AM

Feb 2015
That's pretty dumb won't change much the cost of living will just go up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2015 11:58 AM
Apr 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Ubo said:
No

This was already pointed out, but A) Labor is not the only (or primary) source behind cost of a product and B) The average CEO's income has gone from 30 times their average employee's wage to 500 times their average employee's wage in the last 30 years. In other words. The money going to "salaries" has been going at a constant pace, it is just to whose salary the money has been going to has greatly shifted over the years.

Also, Take a look at Seattle. Their minimum wage is $15. In San Diego, where I live, the minimum wage is $9. However, the cost of living in Seattle is still lower than that of San Diego, products are not more expensive in Seattle than in San Diego. Isn't that odd? How the hell did that happen?

Very few people can be CEOs but almost everyone can work the jobs that give you minimum wage.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.