Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2008 4:13 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was kinda cool. We finally got to see a little more of Vegeta and Nappa, they are awesome :)
Sucks that Vegeta blew up the planet after saving it.... it was kinda sad.

So what were your thoughts on this episode?
LunaDec 6, 2013 4:40 AM
Dec 27, 2008 8:37 AM

Dec 2008
wow... Gohan is realy growing fats ^-^"
+ Picolo was soooo cute when he went to check on Gohan ^-^ hehe
++ hm... + we find out not nasty stuff aout the 2 sayagins... but all in all a great episode ^-^
but i didnt realy liek the bug planet...
hm... i was wondering... WHY doed Vegita have broun hear???? O.o'
i dont get it... all sayagins should have blach heat, + he will have black hear later, so why broun now??...
Nov 5, 2010 6:49 AM
Feb 2010
Haha nice ep Vegeta is awesome ;)
Dec 11, 2010 8:21 AM

Jul 2010
Check out Gohan, gettin' it done out there against a T-Rex (or whatever it is). That was great when it showed up and Gohan just said, "You never learn do you?" It's nice to see his development a bit more drawn out, as it is very truncated in DBZ Kai.
Oct 16, 2011 11:09 PM

Apr 2010
Smh Vegeta. You certainly were a naughty saiyan xD

May 17, 2013 8:55 PM

Feb 2013
I would have felt bad for that planet and those 2 lovers at the end if they weren't bugs...gross. Vegeta would make an awesome exterminator, cleaning up the universe one insect infested planet at a time =p.
Shape430May 17, 2013 9:04 PM
Nov 15, 2013 1:23 PM

May 2012
Gohan sure is advancing, and Goku seems to be still far from his goal! The way Vegeta destroyed the planet was too obvious, you could literally feel it happening already xD
Dec 6, 2013 9:07 PM

Jun 2009
Jun 20, 2015 5:04 AM

Feb 2014
Woah, Gohan has become a lot stronger...
And damn, those Saiyans are ruthless, destroying a planet?!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Dec 1, 2015 6:53 AM

Apr 2014
The Saiyajins destroyed a whole planet.
Jan 3, 2016 5:15 PM

Dec 2015
besides the bad bug planet scene (yes, we did get to see the Saiyans' power--only upside).

glad gohan is growing up

keep on running goku
Jan 14, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2013
This was a very bizarre episode, it actually was pretty interesting especially showing us how ruthless Nappa and Vegta are BUUUT Vegeta easily destroying that planet is not something he can do until way later in the story.
Apr 24, 2018 5:18 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I just hate how in the german dubs ... vegeta has the same Voice as spongebob -.-
And still it was anyway a rather average episode

Nov 12, 2019 2:56 AM

Mar 2010
I remember the fuss going about Vegetas voice in the german dubs back then in 2001 as well. Today we would call it "Shit Storm", the voice actor got replaced a little later due to that.

And I agree with linkjoker about Vegeta destroying this planet was very surprising and does not really fit to his current strength at that point in the story.
Mar 11, 2020 11:39 PM
Jan 2020
where did gohan learn how to use fire magic?

this ones probably my favorite filler so far. the planet is so cool with a little dramatic subplot to help. really sad that when the 2 lovers who were separated finally come together they just die.
also i feel like how they show lunch's affection towards tien is a little extreme. she didn't seem so wild about him to the point of robbing banks for him. kind of makes sense for her character but also kind of doesn't. i'll try to explain my thoughts better later on
Jul 5, 2020 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
Well, well, while interesting, all planet Arlia seemed to do was give a small idea, a semblance of a tiny extent, as to how powerful the Saiyan duo Vegeta and Nappa are. For instance, Vegeta annihilating an entire planet with the tip of his fingers is something to behold, indeed. If early level villains are already capable of such a devastating feat, it makes me truly curious as to the potential of both vital and upcoming characters.

It seems like Gohan has adapted quite well to his surroundings. He resembles his father, Goku, with his cheery attitude as he is gets chased around by dangerous creatures. As for Goku, the Snake Road certainly packs a fair distance. I wouldn't be surprised if it serves as an exercise of sort for inspiring students.

It is good to see Lunch up and about to her usual tricks. From the looks of it, she knows Tien and Chiaotzu's whereabouts, interestingly enough.

removed-userJul 5, 2020 3:36 PM
Jul 11, 2020 11:33 AM

Dec 2015
@_Tokumei-no_ You probably realized since then but at this time in the series, destroying a whole planet (as a single object) was something totally unbelievable (saiyajin suppoosedly destroy planets by ravaging them, at "surface level"). This is one of those instances where the anime tries to describe explicitly something but pushes the limits even beyond the scopes envisioned by the manga (at that time) accidentally. It's funny to think back to this moment when you are at the finale of the first "Z" saga (around the 90-100th episodes)

_Tokumei-no_ said:
For that alone, this is another reason as to why fillers are somewhat of an amusing aspect in a show.

Indeed. It's even true for such short "filling" sequences for power-up and transformations as those where you see the environmenet, landscape, whole planet be affected by power's emanation. You get an incredibly litteral earth shattering scene one time (often pretty good at setting the atmosphere and upping the stakes, I admit) and the same "thing" happens with little consequences a few episodes later (we could also mention how each blow between such powers amusingly sees no environmental effect right after).
I'm not trying to be nitpicky, I think I remember one or two instances of that in the comics as well, but it's far rarer since the way most of those things are presented on paper evocate a (sometimes tense but in a way that is) calmer (more calm? sorry for my english) moment, often a matter of seconds. This technique has its impact, it doesn't undermine the often big impact of the representations chosen for TV.

(my God, sorry for all this babling about nothing)
Rei_IIIJul 13, 2020 11:37 PM
Jul 11, 2020 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
Rei_III said:
@_Tokumei-no_ You probably realized since then but at this time in the series, destroying a whole planet (as a single object) was something totally unbelievable (saiyajin suppoosedly destroy planets by ravaging them, at "surface level"). This is one of those instances where the anime tries to describe explicitly something but pushes the limits even beyond the scopes envisioned by the manga (at that time) accidentally. It's funny to think back to this moment when you are at the finale of the first "Z" saga (around the 90-100th episodes)

I see, yes, I did figure something along those lines, as it didn't make much sense when I thought back at the explicit moment after I was done watching for the day. Still, for that alone, this is another reason as to why fillers are somewhat of an amusing aspect in a show.
Jul 14, 2020 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
Rei_III said:
_Tokumei-no_ said:
For that alone, this is another reason as to why fillers are somewhat of an amusing aspect in a show.

Indeed. It's even true for such short "filling" sequences for power-up and transformations as those where you see the environmenet, landscape, whole planet be affected by power's emanation. You get an incredibly litteral earth shattering scene one time (often pretty good at setting the atmosphere and upping the stakes, I admit) and the same "thing" happens with little consequences a few episodes later (we could also mention how each blow between such powers amusingly sees no environmental effect right after).
I'm not trying to be nitpicky, I think I remember one or two instances of that in the comics as well, but it's far rarer since the way most of those things are presented on paper evocate a (sometimes tense but in a way that is) calmer (more calm? sorry for my english) moment, often a matter of seconds. This technique has its impact, it doesn't undermine the often big impact of the representations chosen for TV.

(my God, sorry for all this babling about nothing)

I see your point. Yes, such power-up filling sequences do give you an insight as to how the environment, the area, and the often wild-lives are affected by the intense auras each individual(s) is emitting. And yet, such vigor, often world-wide effects can't be found a couple of episodes later. That small detail is pretty amusing to take note of, albeit begrudgingly since I like things to be in a near-perfect orderly manner.

And it is alright, your English is quite something. Obviously, much better than mine.
Sep 26, 2020 6:05 PM
May 2019
We get to see more of the saiyans this episode, looking for planets they can sell for a high price. Despite their deeds, I believe I will take a liking to them - especially Vegeta. They are indeed confident, which, of course, is a result of their enormous power. I quite liked this episode. Mostly because of the setting anyway. It's refreshing to see some otherworldly action after most of the main series taking place on earth.
Oct 26, 2023 1:52 PM

Nov 2015
damn it they ruined the filler when they showed Vegeta destroying a planet and Gohan shooting Ki to put a fire 😱
Magica_do_Mar said:
It's nice to see his development a bit more drawn out, as it is very truncated in DBZ Kai.

yeah i agree, I've watched Kai first and would have liked to see Gohan's development and the part where they show Goku in hell and chichi aftermath which was more serious than Kai approach of just comically passing down

💢

Nov 30, 2023 3:01 AM

Oct 2018
It's nice to see Gohan adapting
Apr 2, 1:56 PM

Jun 2020
It was cool to have a POV switch to the Saiyans and kind of insane to see them blow up a planet

I’m glad to see Gohan be able to survive on his own now, getting meat from the tail of that dinosaur is smart and also deserved for all of the shit it’s pulled

The scenes of Goku running on the Snake Way are kind of ridiculous tho and remind me of Gyumao running from the fire in Goku and Chichi’s wedding arc

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 122 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Oct 11, 2010

27 by GeoRush »»
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
Apr 24, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Apr 24, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.