Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 24, 2014 2:59 PM
Mar 2013
hey guys, JD here

there's an unwritten rule here on MAL that it's okay to have an account for hentai, even though the official rules state that it's 1 account per person. I think this is wrong as it is blatantly against the rules yet the mods allow it. if you allow this you should allow alts as well, by your own logic. and people who don't want to add hentai to their list (for whatever reason) should add it to an excel document or something. it's wrong to bend the rules for a few butthurt babies who can't stand the thought of adding hentai to their lists.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 24, 2014 3:03 PM

Jan 2012
I guess I know what u mean .

Dec 24, 2014 3:03 PM

Oct 2009
I agree
Dec 24, 2014 3:04 PM
Apr 2010
100% support, you go get 'em, JD.
Dec 24, 2014 3:44 PM

Jan 2008
I don't see a the harm in it. The majority of them don't even post in open threads so I don't know why it bugs you so much. Did one offend you and you can't figure out who it is because it's a alt?
Dec 24, 2014 3:45 PM
Mar 2013
Paul said:
I don't see a the harm in it. The majority of them don't even post in open threads so I don't know why it bugs you so much. Did one offend you and you can't figure out who it is because it's a alt?
no it's the fact the mods break their own rules
Dec 24, 2014 3:45 PM

Dec 2012
hear hear
Dec 24, 2014 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
theyre not so much as breaking the rules as they are not following the rules super strictly. you sound like an extremely uptight person. let people do what they like.
Dec 24, 2014 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
God doesn't have to play by his own rules.
Dec 24, 2014 4:46 PM
Mar 2013
simonephone said:
theyre not so much as breaking the rules as they are not following the rules super strictly. you sound like an extremely uptight person. let people do what they like.
the mods are breaking their own rules. If they ban anyone for breaking a rule they are hypocrites. That's the issue at hand. It has nothing to do with me, I just want the mods to follow the same rules we have to instead of picking and choosing what to enforce.
Dec 24, 2014 4:57 PM

Jun 2008
The higher-ups don't always have to abide the law they set for the others, that's just how systems work. If you kill a person you're probably going to jail, but many countries execute criminals every day and the authorities don't get punished for that. It doesn't necessarily has to be seen as hypocrisy.
Dec 24, 2014 5:03 PM

Apr 2014
I never knew that was allowed.

Yeah I agree with your suggestion.
Dec 24, 2014 5:34 PM

Dec 2012
I don't, everybody uses second accounts and hentai lists do no harm. Some people like to keep their sexual fetishes hidden from public and that's perfectly normal and if anything I'd encourage it.

Dec 24, 2014 5:36 PM
Nov 2008
you go jd. they should just add hentai to their regular account.
Dec 24, 2014 5:39 PM

Sep 2013
Since when a prohibition does not allow exceptions?

The ratio to have an account for the *hentai* purpose seems fair enough imo.
Once an alt always an alt! | ( ˇ෴ˇ ) | I ♥ Music
Dec 25, 2014 1:11 AM

Jan 2011
But what if they aren't an alt and really do only watch/read hentai?
Dec 25, 2014 1:17 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
-Turnip- said:
I don't, everybody uses second accounts and hentai lists do no harm. Some people like to keep their sexual fetishes hidden from public and that's perfectly normal and if anything I'd encourage it.
Brynhildr said:

^

While it may "break" their own rules, really I think this one exception is perfectly fine and totally sensible. Would you rather force people to publically display their fetishes on their main accounts even if they don't want people to know of them? Otherwise what's the point if even having hentai as entries on MAL if people are scared to add them one way or another.
Dec 25, 2014 1:25 AM

Dec 2011
I didn't even know this was a thing. I think it's fine if people have a second account for that purpose.

Wait! -- Am I the only one adding hentai to my one and only MAL account!!!?
Dec 25, 2014 1:28 AM

Jan 2009
JD2411 said:
simonephone said:
the mods are breaking their own rules. If they ban anyone for breaking a rule they are hypocrites. That's the issue at hand. It has nothing to do with me, I just want the mods to follow the same rules we have to instead of picking and choosing what to enforce.

ok you got my support but knowing MAL i doubt this will get implemented
Dec 25, 2014 1:34 AM

Mar 2013
I've never been a fan of the inconsistency of what's allowed and what not as well as where the line is drawn when it comes to forum moderation. I've had discussions on this matter with the relevant organs but was always misunderstood as someone who wants to make the forums more strict. No, I simply desired for the guidelines to be enforced without subjective let-ups. If doing so would make the forums overall too strict, then the guidelines should be adjusted. The last thing that should be happening is what happens now - guidelines being set, but moderators letting it slip all the time on so many factors. Taking action only when truly necessary is not what the guidelines state, and therefore the moderation should keep to it. Likewise to what is allowed and what not. Hentai entries can be put in blogs if users don't want them on the lists (see my Mal blog for reference).

That's about that. I support the general idea of the thread, but it is not limited to an extra hentai account only, but all of the rules that cross-contradict with actions taken or even other rules at hand.
Dec 25, 2014 1:38 AM

Oct 2013
Here, here! Making a new account just for making hentia list is dumb as shit and is taking all the good names. It toke me a day when I finally gave up and chose one from a video game.......
Dec 25, 2014 2:34 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Wow O_o I see the illogicality there

ReaperCreeper said:

Good point

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Dec 25, 2014 2:35 AM

Nov 2014
Well mal is a llace for anime and hentai is a sub genre of anime therefor it should be welcome
Dec 25, 2014 2:36 AM

Jan 2014
I really so no harm in doing so if they use that for that purpose only.

Dec 25, 2014 4:01 AM

Dec 2014
The mods ban alts cause it may cause trouble. If someone is making an alt just for the sake of their privacy, I don't see how it can harm anyone. So far I haven't seen these hentai alts making any trouble whatsoever, so I really don't think it is necessary.
Dec 25, 2014 4:20 AM

Oct 2009
kuchitsu said:
The higher-ups don't always have to abide the law they set for the others, that's just how systems work. If you kill a person you're probably going to jail, but many countries execute criminals every day and the authorities don't get punished for that. It doesn't necessarily has to be seen as hypocrisy.

The higher-ups no, but lower-downs, yes. The judge cannot simply let criminal go if he is deemed guilty if there is a strictly pre-described punishment

-Turnip- said:

It does harm because it's against the rules

Brynhildr said:

Since when it is not specified in the prohibition itself

ReaperCreeper said:

But if proven to be an alt they should be banned

HaXXspetten said:
While it may "break" their own rules, really I think this one exception is perfectly fine and totally sensible. Would you rather force people to publically display their fetishes on their main accounts even if they don't want people to know of them? Otherwise what's the point if even having hentai as entries on MAL if people are scared to add them one way or another.

But that's the only way because of the way they set the guidelines. So if they make exceptions in one rule, they'd have to make exceptions in other rules, so why not ignore rules altogether and do whatever anyone wants? That's why no exceptions, no matter how sensible

DalPuri said:
I didn't even know this was a thing. I think it's fine if people have a second account for that purpose.

It's not fine as it's against rules

DalPuri said:
Wait! -- Am I the only one adding hentai to my one and only MAL account!!!?

Don't worry, just look at mine

Oreo-Icecream said:
Good point

Bad point

Aqua said:
I really so no harm in doing so if they use that for that purpose only.

I see harm in breaking the rules

CorruptedPurity said:
The mods ban alts cause it may cause trouble. If someone is making an alt just for the sake of their privacy, I don't see how it can harm anyone. So far I haven't seen these hentai alts making any trouble whatsoever, so I really don't think it is necessary.

It will harm everyone since it breaks rules

...or we should change the rules. I posted about this very thing to Kineta 8 months ago and she promised she will answer to me later, but I'm still waiting for her reply, so here's what I suggest:
Change
"Posts must not contain more than one screenshot."
to
"Posts must not contain more than one screenshot unless hidden in spoiler tag and weigh less than 300 kB in total."
And
"One account per person. Duplicates will be banned and/or removed."
to
"One account per person. Duplicates will be banned and/or removed if they are used to violate other rules."
SerhiykoDec 25, 2014 11:54 AM
Dec 25, 2014 5:24 AM

Feb 2010
No advantage for MAL, useless work for the mods, catering to the crusade of one individual user...

Yeah, I don't think we'll have to worry about this happening anytime soon.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 25, 2014 5:55 AM

Dec 2014
Ok whatever, its better to just play with technical terms so that this banning business won't happen.
Dec 25, 2014 8:44 AM
Mar 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
No advantage for MAL, useless work for the mods, catering to the crusade of one individual user...

Yeah, I don't think we'll have to worry about this happening anytime soon.
of course it won't happen, no suggestions are ever implemented. I'm just calling the mods out on their bullshit
Dec 25, 2014 9:47 AM

Mar 2013
Just dropping by again to say that you guys should not limit yourselves with suggestions you find good if they are not limited code-wise. If there is something a moderator rank can actually work on and by that improve something you find could need improvement, do share. If it's purely the matter of moderators having more work with something, it shouldn't restrict you. The matter of "mod power" in both quantity and activity can get dealt with. Asking for changes in the code or other admin-only access features is another topic, however.
Dec 25, 2014 10:57 AM

Aug 2011
Why does this matter?
Dec 25, 2014 11:06 AM

Apr 2013
No one other than you cares about this.
Dec 25, 2014 11:07 AM

Nov 2010
Adair said:
Why does this matter?

ReaperCreeper said:
Dec 25, 2014 11:20 AM

Oct 2009
Adair said:
Why does this matter?

What if one wants to have a hentai alt but without hentai? Why are the ones allowed and others not, although all of them are forbidden by the rules? It matters because the mods are being inconsistent in following rules, hence either the modes should become consistent (because that's the very point of their existence) or rules be changed. Even mods and admins themselves do not agree with their own rules and admit its absurdness by not following them, so why not change them so that they reflect the actual situation and do not bring up questions?

deanzel said:
No one other than you cares about this.

I am sure you asked every user out there, including the ones who already proved you wrong in this thread

Kinkara said:
ReaperCreeper said:

It's fine then but if proven to be an alt they should be banned
SerhiykoDec 25, 2014 11:23 AM
Dec 25, 2014 11:34 AM

Jan 2008
At this point, this may as well turn into a discussion about revamping the forum rules and guidelines as a whole rather than just that specific one.
Dec 25, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2013
Paul said:
At this point, this may as well turn into a discussion about revamping the forum rules and guidelines as a whole rather than just that specific one.

Not all posts on this thread were specialized into this specific issue from the very start. Try reading my first reply shared. The matter is directly connected to the overall picture, with the OP in the end sharing only an example.
Dec 25, 2014 11:55 AM

Apr 2013
Luna_slave_No61 said:
Adair said:
Why does this matter?

What if one wants to have a hentai alt but without hentai? Why are the ones allowed and others not, although all of them are forbidden by the rules? It matters because the mods are being inconsistent in following rules, hence either the modes should become consistent (because that's the very point of their existence) or rules be changed. Even mods and admins themselves do not agree with their own rules and admit its absurdness by not following them, so why not change them so that they reflect the actual situation and do not bring up questions?

This is MAL where SSJMaster vs Xinil happens every 6 months. This isn't the god damn US Constitution. No one cares and, more importantly, no one wants to put in the effort for something as useless as this idea.
Dec 25, 2014 12:00 PM
Mar 2013
deanzel said:
Luna_slave_No61 said:

This is MAL where SSJMaster vs Xinil happens every 6 months. This isn't the god damn US Constitution. No one cares and, more importantly, no one wants to put in the effort for something as useless as this idea.
this doesn't even take effort. all the mods have to do is follow their own rules
Dec 25, 2014 12:29 PM

Oct 2009
Paul said:

Kineta said:
Section III: Forum Guidelines

7. Before making a new thread:
    1. Use the search function to ensure your topic has not been created before. If the topic exists and is:
        - factual, you should post in the original thread.
        - conceptual, you should post in the original thread, unless:
          a. the possibility of unique discussion exists, and
          b. the last post is more than one month old.

Note that there is no rule that says that you shouldn't post in the original thread if the last post is more than one month old. The existing rule factually says next:
a) if the last post in conceptual topic is less than one month old, you absolutely must post in it;
b) if the last post in conceptual topic is more than one month old, you may do whatever you want.
Not to mention that it is all said under "Before making a new thread", not "Before making a new post"
It is proven by explanation on what "conceptual topics" is:
Kineta said:
Conceptual Topics: These threads contain topics larger than oneself and may promote new thoughts or ideas. If the possibility of unique discussion exists and the last post of the existing thread is more than one month old, the thread may be created anew.

Note "may be", not "should be"

So there is no rule forbidding necrobumps but mods still do not allow them? What the hell, mods? Get hold of yourselves!
SerhiykoDec 25, 2014 12:38 PM
Dec 25, 2014 12:40 PM

Sep 2011
Luna_slave_No61 said:
Paul said:

Kineta said:
Section III: Forum Guidelines

7. Before making a new thread:
    1. Use the search function to ensure your topic has not been created before. If the topic exists and is:
        - factual, you should post in the original thread.
        - conceptual, you should post in the original thread, unless:
          a. the possibility of unique discussion exists, and
          b. the last post is more than one month old.

Note that there is no rule that says that you shouldn't post in the original thread if the last post is more than one month old. The existing rule factually says next:
a) if the last post in conceptual topic is less than one month old, you absolutely must post in it;
b) if the last post in conceptual topic is more than one month old, you may do whatever you want.
Not to mention that it is all said under "Before making a new thread", not "Before making a new post"
It is proven by explanation on what "conceptual topics" is:
Kineta said:
Conceptual Topics: These threads contain topics larger than oneself and may promote new thoughts or ideas. If the possibility of unique discussion exists and the last post of the existing thread is more than one month old, the thread may be created anew.

Note "may be", not "should be"

So there is no rule forbidding necrobumps but mods still do not allow them? What the hell, mods? Get hold of yourselves!
This thread isn't for you to talk about the Site Guidelines as a whole. Go make a separate thread for it. You're missing the fact that half the necrobumps people do in topics that CAN be bumped are usually not promoting any discussion but either one worded responses, spam, off-topic and or simple listing.
Dec 25, 2014 12:40 PM

Sep 2013
you dont need to punish them, they are already punishing themselves by being the biggest pussies alive.
Dec 25, 2014 12:50 PM

Oct 2009
Tyrel said:
This thread isn't for you to talk about the Site Guidelines as a whole. Go make a separate thread for it.

But the user above said that this may as well turn into a discussion about revamping the forum rules and guidelines as a whole so I thought of that as an invitation

Tyrel said:
You're missing the fact that half the necrobumps people do in topics that CAN be bumped are usually not promoting any discussion but either one worded responses, spam, off-topic and or simple listing.

Which means you do agree that there is no rule specifying "no bumps" and they can't be closed, removed or purged for that reason alone, and that any topic can be bumped?
Dec 25, 2014 2:06 PM

Mar 2010
I thought having a hentai account was the only exception to the rule? I guess not.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 25, 2014 2:06 PM
Mar 2013
Wyzdm said:
Making a new account just for adding your hentai is stupid but how exactly are you supposed to prove that it's an alt?
most people link it in their profile
Dec 25, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2009
Wyzdm said:
Making a new account just for adding your hentai is stupid but how exactly are you supposed to prove that it's an alt?

Similar username
Same IP
Similar e-mail (or even same...)
Same join date
Same info in details or About Me
By telling it in About Me
By revealing himself by cheating is some games
By telling in IRC
Same secret club (possibly, in case mods can see them)
Some very unique User Agent (again, in case mods can see them)
In case he tells someone about it in PM and that PM gets reported as spam
By posting about it in open forums
etc.

A number of ways, but except for IP, unless the user isn't cautious, there's hardly a way (and even IP if the user is extra-cautious)
SerhiykoDec 25, 2014 2:18 PM
Dec 25, 2014 5:37 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
JD2411 said:
I'm just calling the mods out on their bullshit
Why thank you, JD. Merry Christmas to you, too :)

Hentai accounts are allowed to exist only for the very strict purpose of cataloging hentai entries and contributing to the hentai database via this account. While some users may link their hentai list on their profile, many more users do not and purposely have the accounts separated. As long as no non-hentai series are added to the list and rated, the account is not used as a duplicate on the forum, in clubs, or on profiles - i.e. the account is indeed just a list - there are really no issues to be had. These accounts have been allowed since before I became an admin and will continue to be allowed.

Whether the guidelines are written:
- One account per person. Duplicates will be banned and/or removed.
or
- One account per person. Duplicates may be banned and/or removed.
the end result is the same: users are dissuaded from making duplicate accounts. If you are found having a duplicate account for no good reason, it will be banned and/or removed; this is a fact. Those "good reasons" - aka exceptions to this rule - are just purposely not written into the guidelines as they are actions we neither want to endorse nor encourage.

MAL is not a court of law and it's a waste of all of our time to discuss nuances of words like lawyers, as if the guidelines are some kind of rigid contract disregarding common sense. However, if you're really that focused on semantics, please note the header of the guidelines which states:
These have been written as general guidelines only [...] The administrators and forum moderators reserve the right to make exceptions to any of these rules whenever they feel it is necessary [...]
Any set of guidelines without this disclaimer would be silly and moderators might as well be replaced by robots.

Since the OP has purposely stated that the only reason he made this thread was to try and make the mod team's lives difficult, this thread is now locked. In the end, does someone else having a hentai account really change or alter your experience on the site? No, it really does not. So please allow me to use my time to solve larger issues that may contribute to improving everyone's experience on MAL in a more positive way, than taking time to discuss semantics which have no change in general outcome or how things are moderated.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.