Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 19, 2009 4:58 PM

Aug 2008
Rei-Rei said:
ace52387 said:
Some are just good video editing skills.
I don't know how to describe this one

Hahaha neat.

That one's quite a classic... 'cause it's so farkin' weird. XD
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 19, 2009 5:00 PM

Feb 2008
If done right, AMVs can get really creative. If you take the time to actually plan it out and put it together, it can become extremely amazing. There's a reason different AMVs get different ratings. Some are just bad and some are really amazing and well put together.

So they took clips from an anime. Oh well. Doesn't make it bad and not creative. It's actually alot harder than you would think to take clips together, add effects, etc..and make it look good. Let's not forget that some go above and beyond and take it into programs such as After Effects and add a wide variety of effects that are absolutley gorgous.

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Nov 19, 2009 5:03 PM

Jun 2008
AMVs are okay. Not the biggest fan, but I don't hate them. Some of them are really well made.
Nov 19, 2009 5:10 PM

Aug 2008
brinan said:
I hate them for several reasons, the people creating them think their the most creative people in the world, when all they do is link a bunch of random clips together and then add music like death metal. Yeah, your really creative. Add the fact that most of the people respond to these videos like the creators have done something truely amazing-- worthy of worship.. it just adds to my hate.

Oh yea. Let's address that part:

There's a difference between praising and giving compliments -- vs -- false praise to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

In fact, you can see this pattern in the fanfiction and fanart circles. I don't even write fanfiction or draw my own fanart, yet I'm aware of this kind of behavior. These are the kind of people who likely do their own set of "work" just to get praised. At the same time, they do not want to be criticized (you suck) or critiqued (you can do this and this better). Anyone who can't handle that has no business making anything.

If anything, withholding critique or criticism to anyone is a disservice. It prevents them from actually getting better or from having the motivation to become better. I'm not saying that it is good to "discourage". Give credit where credit is due, after all. If you critique or criticize with the intent of helping someone, that's fine.

By the way, I got criticized for my posting style around here. Well, to that...

XD
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Nov 19, 2009 5:12 PM

Aug 2006
This one is pretty good (and old).

Most of the so called AMV out there use the "favorite song + favorite animu" formula and are a huge waste of bandwidth.
Nov 19, 2009 6:17 PM

Dec 2007
As somewhat hinted before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with AMVs in general, and no real reason to hate all of them based on a single segment, no matter how prevalent that segment is. While it's still subjective, gross generalizations do not make an effective argument for anything. That's just being discriminatory.
In the end, AMVs are like any other media. More than likely, you will dislike far more of what's out there than you will like, so it simply becomes an issue of sifting through.

That being said, there is indeed an issue of improved technology making it easier to create and "market" AMVs, thus allowing legions of fans who would otherwise never get to square one to churn out something and distribute it. That's life, and it's not unusual. It happened with fandubs too, and I've seen the same phenomenon with low-budget films - now video store shelves are flooded with abysmal DVR releases that wouldn't rate MST3K treatment, when it used to be relatively easy to find something at least passably entertaining. That's all just one more price of progress.

In the old days, it required a great deal of knowledge, and even specialized equipment, to create an AMV - the concept and practice have existed since the VHS era. People would often spend weeks working on a single project, making sure to get things just right. The product thus became a display of skill and talent, and, of course, became competitive. And for those who dislike the "junk" on sites like youtube, you need only look in the places where these old-school creators have historically prevailed, and the degree of competitiveness found among such technical achievers remains. Conventions are a good example of this. You can also go to sites like animemusicvideos.org, which are more specialized and have several features to make finding a jem that much easier. While a minority even here, you will still almost certainly find a very large number of AMVs worth watching.

As for the flood of AMVs in youtube crowding out what you want to look for, there are several search tricks to filter them out with a significant level of success. I've never had significant problems, even when I was looking for a specific AMV. After all, I don't search for DBZ/Naruto to Linkin Park.

Just off the top of my head (and solely using youtube), I can bring out a decent-sized list of AMVs I like, though in every case, I admit I found it elsewhere and DLed a much higher quality version. Some of these directed me to artists and songs I'd never know otherwise, and a few, like the Angelic Layer and Noir ones, introduced me to a series.

ErwinJANov 19, 2009 6:32 PM
Nov 19, 2009 6:39 PM

Jun 2009
Watch this and tell me you hate it!

AirStylesNov 19, 2009 6:46 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2009 6:42 PM

Sep 2009
I love AMV's, the good ones anyway. If you go to youtube and look at my favorites all you will find is amv's of the highest quality, and the none amv videos I favorite.
Nov 19, 2009 7:39 PM

Jul 2008
OP, I see where you're coming from. Terrible mediocre AMVs are a dime a dozen. There's nothing I hate more than a friend telling me "WHAT THIS IT'S SO CUTE, YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT~" when it's a badly strung together sequence of scenes that doesn't even sync with the music. >.> Plus subtitles. Plus non-coherent.

There are however some good AMVs out there. :3 I don't wanna link them all so I'll just link my favourite.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Nov 19, 2009 7:41 PM

Jun 2009
Sayalol said:
So they took clips from an anime. Oh well. Doesn't make it bad and not creative. It's actually alot harder than you would think to take clips together, add effects, etc..and make it look good. Let's not forget that some go above and beyond and take it into programs such as After Effects and add a wide variety of effects that are absolutley gorgous.

A good example of this is Whisper Of The Beast by Scorpions ULTD. It's a AMV winner from long ago.

Which took the effects part to the next level and beyond IMO. Thought there's plenty of other examples here... I just especially love this one.
Nov 19, 2009 8:50 PM

Mar 2009
Some AMV are good, but some are just cheap since they don't really do anything except mash a bunch of scenes together and play a song.
Nov 19, 2009 10:34 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, suppose i can agree with the general consensus, not all AMVs are god awful. Condemning the entire practice would probably be wrong. And that good AMVs are vastly vastly outnumbered by bad ones, which can give the wrong impression. Because of that however i probably won't go out of my way to look for the few good ones.

Rather spend my time watching real anime honestly! But stupid short little videos like that are always good for when your bored. Was a few decent ones in this thread, the ones i bothered to look at.. at least.

On a different note, surprised that majority of people who responded saw generally where i was coming from, and didn't flame and pick apart my post like that cute little fellow on page 1. As my initial post did contain alot of hatred and biased-ness. (not that i'm taking back anything i said) Must mean a good community here. (for the most part:) )
Nov 19, 2009 10:36 PM

Apr 2009
I'm going to make one now!

Right now..and show you how bad they can be !

edit: here we go

soymilkyyNov 19, 2009 10:54 PM
Nov 19, 2009 10:49 PM

Jun 2009
Heh, was that in response to me? Won't accomplish anything, as i already know how depressingly atrocious they can be. Though you should make one and post it on youtube, you'll probably get positive posts no matter how bad it is :D
Nov 19, 2009 10:53 PM

Apr 2009
brinan said:
Heh, was that in response to me? Won't accomplish anything, as i already know how depressingly atrocious they can be. Though you should make one and post it on youtube, you'll probably get positive posts no matter how bad it is :D

Nah not to you, just the fans out there :D
Nov 20, 2009 12:13 AM
Mar 2008
I am kind of impartial to AMVs. If it wasn't for Princess Maker - Petite Princess Yucie I would have never of discovered fansubs and if it wasn't for Carol of the Cute Ones - Various I never would have watched Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne.

Actually before I discovered better methods of discovering good series, one of the main ways I found shows to watch was to watch (usually mediocre) mix series AMVs and see if any of the shows interested me. If I end up watching a bad AMV I can usually at least amuse myself by seeing what scenes I recognise and remember.
Although there are the extreme bottom of the barrel AMVs which I can't even do that with like the ones which just show a bunch of magical girl stock footage.
Nov 20, 2009 6:13 AM

Feb 2009
Everyone keeps posting amv's so I'm gonna post to :)

Fan service
Nov 20, 2009 7:02 AM

Jul 2008
SquareZ said:

Fan service

First one was cheesy, but better than...

...the second one which was very truly terrible.

BUT DON'T WORRY GUYS I WILL FIX THIS

Also

ShadowbladeEdge said:
If you want really good shit though, MADs made completely from scratch are where it's at, where even the song is original:

AMAZING

Nov 20, 2009 7:07 AM

Dec 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
SquareZ said:

Fan service
I hope you were using these as examples of how crappy AMVs can be, because they're perfect ones.

Subtitles - Present
Unrelated/Unfitting music - Present
Bonus: Spanish subtitles - Present

He's right, they're awful.
Nov 20, 2009 7:20 AM

Feb 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
SquareZ said:

Fan service
I hope you were using these as examples of how crappy AMVs can be, because they're perfect ones.

Well the first one I kinda enjoyed and yes the second was a how not to :D
Nov 20, 2009 7:21 AM

Feb 2009
this is one I really like
Most people might not like the music :D
Nov 20, 2009 7:23 AM

Jul 2007
I am indifferent.
Nov 20, 2009 7:24 AM

May 2009
KyuuA4 said:
For some good stuff, try some Touhou MADs.

Agree. Here's a good one I found recently

Nov 20, 2009 7:27 AM

Apr 2009
This is my favorite kind, a song that's unrelated to the show, but tells you what it's really like. :D
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Nov 20, 2009 7:33 AM
Jan 2009
I believe it's already been said that some are good, but the majority is bad.
Nov 20, 2009 7:37 AM

Nov 2009
Hotstrawberry said:
Amvs with subs drive me up the wall. And the use of angsty music.

Fantasia was the best amv ever.

lol are you takling about that disney movie?
I'll take a potatoe chip... AND EAT IT!!!!!
Nov 20, 2009 8:50 AM

Aug 2009
I do not hate them, but its true there are some shitty AMV's with creators who think they are very creative and such. In my opinion most of them are bad, but there are some I like.. its not very easy to make a good one, I actually have respect for people who put alot of time in a good AMV =)
DymoniaNov 20, 2009 11:51 AM
Nov 20, 2009 8:55 AM

Feb 2008
1a2a3a4a said:
Hotstrawberry said:

Fantasia was the best amv ever.

lol are you takling about that disney movie?

Mickey Mouse with a funny hate, dancing brooms and a castle. What's not to like?

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Nov 20, 2009 10:47 AM

Aug 2008
Sasu-neko said:
KyuuA4 said:
For some good stuff, try some Touhou MADs.

Agree. Here's a good one I found recently

Alright. Before this thread becomes a -- LOOK AT THIS AMV THREAD -- I'll ask this question:

Why is this video "creative"?

Nov 20, 2009 12:06 PM

Feb 2009
For the most part, I don't like/watch AMVs, but there were a couple I liked,
there was an evangelion Bohemian Rhapsody one and an Evangelion 99 red balloons one.

Also, I've seen all the AMV hells.
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.

skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
Nov 20, 2009 12:28 PM

Nov 2009
ShadowbladeEdge said:
If you want really good shit though, MADs made completely from scratch are where it's at, where even the song is original:

Wow, that's one of the coolest AMV's I've seen in a while.
Nov 20, 2009 12:39 PM

Jan 2008
All i got to say is, at least AMV's having moving pictures like those crappy ASSMV's. (anime slide shows)

And you probably just watch a lot of the overrated AMV's like that skittle one or a bunch of linkin park crap lol.
Nov 20, 2009 12:58 PM

Jul 2008
Paul said:
All i got to say is, at least AMV's having moving pictures like those crappy ASSMV's. (anime slide shows)

And you probably just watch a lot of the overrated AMV's like that skittle one or a bunch of linkin park crap lol.

I saw someone pull this off well ONCE.

Warning for MASSIVE Kanon spoilers.

Generally though slide shows are the worst. Especially if it consists of some shitty song and shitty Naruto fanart the "creator" stole from random people on DevART. If someone did that to my art without asking I'd rip them a new one, lmao.

Nov 20, 2009 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
I don't like the casually made ones with like..obnoxious music.

And it's like everywhere I go, there's a naruto AMV for every song. Exaggerated to say, but GEEZ...! There's a ton
Nov 20, 2009 1:22 PM

Aug 2009
I don't really mind them.

If I watched something that I really liked, then more likely I would watch an AMV out of that Anime because it contains the show that I really liked.
Nov 20, 2009 1:36 PM

Oct 2008
this is one of the first amv's to really utilize beautiful transitions and the effects are simple but they are easy on the eyes, and the music is just phenomenal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgVADWeNkw&rel=1">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgVADWeNkw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

you guys should seriously consider this one as one of the best. it stands the test of time, this one is almost a decade old and still stacks up against the new ones... this was made by koopiskeva btw.
Nov 20, 2009 1:39 PM

Oct 2008

this one aged so well that it's as good as one of the finest wines in the world. it's amazing how this is almost a decade old and none of you guys have mentioned it...
Nov 20, 2009 2:05 PM

Dec 2007
Rei-Rei said:
ShadowbladeEdge said:

I love this one, so here's a parody.

#NBHNC
Nov 20, 2009 2:19 PM

Dec 2007
ShadowbladeEdge said:
GeorgeMoshington said:
That made me sad. Japan and it's crazy fascination with McDonald's ruins much more than it improves.
It's more of them making fun of the ridiculousness of the commercials that the audio comes from.

#NBHNC
Nov 20, 2009 2:21 PM

May 2009
well, i don't really hate amvs, and i don't think all of the people who create them think they are the most creative ones in whole world, though i agree with opinion that some amvs can be shitty, so what ? The ones i consider to be shitty i neither watch till the end nor comment
Just because of several crappy ams you don't need to say this "all they do is link a bunch of random clips together and then add music like death metal"
Just say that you don't like death metal and death metalic (O.o) amvs <.<
>.>
that way it's easier , now isn't it? ^^
DurieNov 22, 2009 11:06 AM
Nov 20, 2009 3:50 PM

Nov 2007
Most AMV's are packed with spoilers... I hate spoilers xD

"Sanity is overrated."
Nov 20, 2009 4:03 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
I might add, that if you add "-AMV' in the search bar on YouTube it will exclude anything with AMV in the title.
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 20, 2009 4:47 PM
Oct 2009
I only like them if they are good. I'm picky. If I don't get into it at the first few second I don't watch the rest. I hate when I find a real scene I want to watch and it has (the worst) music. And all the excuses are the same "I had to do it so it won't get removed." Load of crap. Neith the scene ot the song belongs to you so it will get removed.
Nov 20, 2009 4:51 PM

Feb 2008
no one has posted that metal gear solid naruto music video? that amv was brilliant.
Nov 20, 2009 4:57 PM

Jul 2008
I prefer the MADs from Nico Nico Douga
And the yearly Anime Saimoe Tournament on 2ch
This is from the 2007 tourney but ever since then I haven't seen any good ones like this. ;_;
Nov 20, 2009 5:48 PM

Aug 2008
ShadowbladeEdge said:
That made me sad. Japan and it's crazy fascination with McDonald's ruins much more than it improves.

It's not McDonald's that they're obsessed with. It's the character Ronald. To watch the Ronald videos -- it's like watching someone who's completely batsh1t crazy.

Mari-chan said:
I prefer the MADs from Nico Nico Douga
And the yearly Anime Saimoe Tournament on 2ch
This is from the 2007 tourney but ever since then I haven't seen any good ones like this. ;_;

Sadly. They haven't topped this 2007 version.

What really makes this one special though? It really set up Saimoe as something... exciting. Then to be able to cram like... at least 100 anime girls into one video. That takes some work.

===

Then the Bad Apple video. That one is so amazing. Who thought that Black and White is dead? The Wow-Factor hit me so hard such that I grabbed a couple more Touhou games and played 'em.

Nov 20, 2009 6:02 PM

Jul 2008
I personally like the following AMV because it's ambiguous enough that people who have never seen the series yet watch this AMV wouldn't know that SZS is a COMEDY series. Heh. :D
Nov 20, 2009 7:34 PM
Aug 2009
brinan said:
bunch of random clips together and then add music like death metal

What AMVs have legitimate Death Metal songs? Seriously, point me to them. AMVs always have shit weaboo/mallgoth music like Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Shitknot or MCR.

I don't mind AMVs but the music can either make it or seriously fucking break it.
Nov 20, 2009 9:13 PM
Dec 2007
ace52387 said:
I only hate AMV's when i'm trying to look for a certain scene in an anime on youtube and i get spammed with AMV's as search results.
Well said.

I don't think AMVs are a terrible thing, but some of them are just a bunch of clips piled together with cliche music that turn out wth bland results. Every once in a while I'll find a good one though.
DeletedAccount23Nov 20, 2009 9:17 PM
Nov 20, 2009 9:20 PM

Oct 2009
brinan said:

WISE WORDS.

Well have you seen amv.org?
QUITE ELITE. Go visit AND BE AMAZED.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

64 by LoveYourEyes »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 2 hours ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

29 by DesuMaiden »»
26 minutes ago

» What's the most illegal thing you've ever done? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Mar 15

51 by DesuMaiden »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

60 by vampirismsxc »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.