Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2009 11:44 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think Kyoko's father has some very real worries. We also get another incredibly touching scene between Godai and Kyoko which pretty much summed up why she wasn't true to herself for so long: she didn't want to be left alone again.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2010 5:36 AM

Apr 2009
Awesome episode, one of my favorites in the series. It's a lot of fun with Godai thinking up how to propose to Kyoko.
May 9, 2010 1:20 AM

Jul 2007
wow kyoko and godai's scene was so touching. you could really feel her emotions
Jun 13, 2010 11:57 PM

Apr 2008
skullking123 said:

That ending scene is one of the reasons why Sumi Shimamoto is one of my favorite VAs. Her lines were delivered with such an authentic fragility that it had me in tears listening to her.
Dec 26, 2010 2:45 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I think it's impossible not to have watched 93 episodes to this point and not feel almost moved to tears by Godai's proposal to Kyoko. Just when you think that there's no drama left at this point, Maison Ikkoku still manages to crank it up a notch.

Turns out Kyoko's dad wasn't just an unreasonable old man with a "daughter" complex. He actually just wants that she never goes through the kind of pain she went through when her first husband died.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 3, 2011 5:35 PM

Apr 2009
Yes, finally, this is the episode I've been waiting for all this time, it took 94 episodes but the series finally delivered, this was simply beautiful...
Jun 18, 2011 6:25 PM

Feb 2010
This episode fell flat for me. The father's concerns were unconvincing, and his presence during Godai's proposal seemed awkward. Everything felt sappy, even for this series.
Aug 21, 2011 9:56 AM

Jun 2009
Boring! Boring! Boring! Kyoko's dad should seriously grow up! This is ridiculous. He wants his daughter to be a nun or something!?! I'd have put him in his place, he doesn't have to accept but he could at least be courteous! Furthermore I'd have asked him kindly to keep his opinions to himself up until I have at least proposed!
Nov 14, 2011 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
And the series is back to its trademark awesomeness after the Kouzue slump. It seemed like in those episodes Takahashi was in a hurry to wrap up the Kozue loose end and resorted to those series of coincidences to get to this point.

I must say I'm surprised that Kyoko's mom immediately approves of Godai and didn't bother to look into his background. I guess it reflects how it was difficult for widowed Japanese women to re-marry at that time, or is it a cultural thing? Anyway, glad to see that Godai has finally graduated and landed a job at the kindergarten that he had worked in. Akemi was pretty awesome in these recent episodes, and Godai's proposal to Kyoko and the touching moment with Kyoko's father on Godai's back was one of my favorite moments in the entire series.
removed-userNov 14, 2011 7:01 AM
Dec 24, 2011 10:49 PM

Oct 2011
true romance! the best, most realistic portrayal of love ever! don't we all wish for this - the ending had me in tears - at least i can feel this vicariously...
Jun 25, 2012 5:04 AM

Jan 2010
I'm waiting for this moment for a long time ! ))
YES ! YES ! YES !
...well done Godai :D
Jul 19, 2012 2:09 PM

Oct 2009
MrMemory said:
skullking123 said:

That ending scene is one of the reasons why Sumi Shimamoto is one of my favorite VAs. Her lines were delivered with such an authentic fragility that it had me in tears listening to her.

Agreed, that was delivered perfectly! The eng VAs don't even come close to the same delivery.
That scene was very touching. I'm happy to see how strong this series is ending. Kyoko finally let the truth out, her fear of being alone ever again; I figured that was the reason for all her resistance.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Aug 5, 2013 5:11 PM
Aug 2007
Wow. Seriously.

"Even if its just for one day, please live longer than me"

F*ck me, that was an emotional line.. teared up tbh..

Great proposal by Godai, just wish he had dropped off her father first and then proposed on the way back because it was slightly awkward with her father on his back. But anyway, awesome episode.
Apr 21, 2015 10:47 PM

Jul 2013
The moment we've all been waiting for...
that scene was really touching. it had me teared up..
May 14, 2015 1:04 PM

Nov 2014
That last scene was so well done especially the "please live longer than me" line I almost teared up at that point.
Oct 21, 2015 10:57 PM
May 2015
This anime is so realistic, the propose was nice, very realistic.
Jan 3, 2016 10:53 PM

Dec 2014
ok was very satisfying. kyoko father depicts the character of all fathers. I liked how he was still worries for his little kyoko
May 14, 2016 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
lol the marriage proposal from Godai while piggy backing his father in law was amazing. The ending scene was so good.
Jul 25, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2014
That proposal did look pretty awkward, but goddamn, that line about living longer than her, even by just one day, made me tear up.
Aug 11, 2016 10:39 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing and powerful ending. Loved it, teared up.
Jul 3, 2017 5:41 PM

May 2009
After watching this beautiful episode, I forgive this show for giving me a hard time with all the misunderstandings and conflicts! T-T
Kyoko's dad just didn't want his daughter to go through the same pain she went with Souichirou's passing T-T (Also the scene with Kyoko's back and the incense's smoke around her was really beautiful in a sorrowful way)
Godai's proposal was so sweet and Kyoko just wanting that Godai to outlive her was so bittersweet T-T
Gosh, everything was so emotional!
Aug 8, 2017 11:12 AM

Apr 2014
one of the best eps of the series the first time i watch this and saw the part when he asked her to marry her and then she said to promise to live longer than her

i nearly cried cause it really hit so hard i may hate kyoko through out most of the series but the final few eps she is pretty amazing to say the least
"one step at a time"
Nov 19, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2015
So Godai proposed with his future father in law on his back. Could be worse. .:D

Ending was so touching. Loved that moment so much. <3
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 30, 2017 6:50 AM

Jun 2016
Oh, this episode was one of the best! I haven’t seen many proposal scenes as sweet as this one.
The flashback with Kyoko’s father and Godai’s carrying him exactly like that was just so beautiful. Great episode!
May 1, 2018 11:34 PM

Jun 2016
"Can you make me... one promise? Please. Even if it's just by one day. Please live longer than me."

This hit hard. Good proposal scene.
May 3, 2018 7:01 PM

Oct 2017
This was such a good episode. Im left with the void now that I finished it. Definitely one of the greatest romance Anime ever made. Most of the romance Anime today don't even compare, especially these seasonal ones.
Aug 24, 2018 12:19 PM
Oct 2017
Love the anime &Godai ❤
And i can't stop crying 😢 that was so sweet
Mar 20, 2019 3:51 PM

Nov 2016
And Godai carried Kyokos dad in the end xD

What a powerful episode. My eyes did water during the whole proposal part, but Kyokos "Please live longer than me" turned them into a into a waterfall. Amazing stuff.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 22, 2019 1:27 PM

Jul 2015
Incredible episode, best proposal I've seen in anime so far

Carrying your future wife's sick dad on your back while proposing is what real madlads do

Dec 16, 2019 4:01 AM

Feb 2017
Holy crap, those lines from Kyouko genuinely had me shed tears, I'm currently asking my own manliness
addictedtolivingDec 16, 2019 4:04 AM
Apr 4, 2020 1:04 AM
Apr 2019
why have the last 3 episodes made me cry?
DAMN
Apr 13, 2020 12:43 PM
Feb 2018
Basically, Kyoko's father is against her marrying Godai because he doesn't want to see her ever get hurt again. Since she was hurt prior when her ex-husband passed away. He is just looking out for his little girl and is worried. Then Godai thought of ways to propose to her and by the end of the episode, while Godai was carrying Mr. Otanashi on his back to take him home, Godai asked Kyoko to marry him. She then said, "Promise me one thing. Don't die on me." Felt pretty emotional after all she has been through. Excellent episode. 5/5 coming to a solid conclusion.
Feb 8, 2021 6:09 PM

Jan 2012
Such a great episode. What an amazing payoff.
Feb 12, 2021 1:17 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Awww. I felt this episode.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 30, 2021 4:35 AM
Mar 2021
Haven't watched Maison Ikkoku since my childhood in the 80/90s. Having the whole story in mind, this line from Kyoko, "... Even if it's just for one day. Please live longer than me..." is the most beautiful, touching line in the entire manga/anime world. I'm still moved by it 3 days after watching the episode. It obviously didn't get me that way in my 10s
Jun 5, 2021 9:42 AM

Jan 2018
I thought Kyoko's dad was a bit cliche like he was against Godai as if Kyoko is still a highschool student whereas in reality she's widowed... boy was I wrong. This anime really uses deception like this very effectively. Things aren't always what they seem in the surface level just like in real life. I stopped watching this as a typical anime a long time ago.

But boy, the way he showed up in the pre-school made him look like a ped0phile lmfao. Also, Godai carrying a grown ass man like that, he's stronger than I thought! He'll be a good replacement for the principal who broke his back XD (Glad to see it had meaning and wasn’t just played for laughs). You trolls who keep saying Godai is spineless... his spine seems pretty fine to me. That proposal scene was excellent. One of the best I've seen in anime probably! Never mind about the phone proposal...
Also it seems it’s hopeless to think about Ibuki at this point. Even if she comes back in the last episode I doubt she'll get a closure as good as Mitaka and Asuna's or even Kozue's. I don't mind since I never liked her anyways despite the fact I think the Job hunting arc with Mr. Yagami was the most entertaining arc.
0451Jun 5, 2021 10:20 AM
Jun 23, 2021 7:55 PM
Sep 2019
when they showed flashback of her after soichiro's death
and the scene where she asks godai to live longer than her
damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats how you make a masterpiece
Mar 17, 2022 4:00 AM
Mar 2021
Another masterpiece of an episode, which not only was hilarious but also really touching, with Godai's botched proposal, the flashbacks to Kyoko's past and that excellent ending!

A funny, heartwarming and tear-wrenching episode like few others in any media I've ever seen!

6/5
Aug 15, 2022 10:43 PM

Sep 2020
Every second of this show was worth this episode alone.
dirty thoughts are bad
Aug 21, 2022 8:25 AM

Sep 2020
"At least for a day, promise you'll outlive me..."

Kyoko's dad arrives at the right time. Godai ends up carrying him on his back, asking for Kyoko's hand in front of him and making himself be trusted by a man that only wants to see his daughter happy.
This is something Mitaka could never do. Even if everyone wanted him to be with Kyoko, he never earned her dad's blessing, and rightfully so, not only is he difficult to be pleased with, but also, quite protective of his daughter, although with good reason.

Godai's proposal is perfect and the reply is simply beautiful. If Kyoko's dad hadn't been present he would never have accepted Godai as his future son-in-law. It's not just that Godai proved to be a good man that loves Kyoko, is that they love each other in such a way that she wishes never to be alone if she is with Godai, which reveals she has the same concern as her dad, but even so, she knows this is a step she has to take in her life, in order to be with the man she loves.

Is there anything left to say?

2 episodes remaining...
Jul 27, 2023 11:55 PM

May 2022
THIS... this is the best episode in Maison Ikkoku and the latter half is the best scene in all of anime I've watched, I was in tears the whole time.

Godai san finally proposing properly (disregard the miso scene) then few seconds of silence, which felt like minutes, and then Kyoko san asking for one promise.
Even if it's just by one day. Please live longer than me.
This is the most beautiful line ever. First time around watching MI this line was in my mind for days, it's so beautiful and touching.
Kyoko san was afraid of being left alone... again, as was his father, which is why he tried to oppose the marriage at first, but luckily all this happened.

Aaaghh I'm still in tears!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 19 Discussion

meneope - Jun 19, 2011

35 by alexrawk »»
May 3, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 10 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 3, 2011

31 by Playcool »»
Apr 28, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 12 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 4, 2011

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

29 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 5:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.