Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 3, 2009 3:52 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Why are people still living if we'll all die anyway?"
So this series starts with such a premise...

That Moto girl has quite a freakish approach to cleanliness xD

Anyway, the plot here felt like a mess. The "people suddendly vanishing" plot device has been used way too many times, but then the main character (of this episode, at least) sees an apparition of an old crush of hers, a guy that supposedly vanished, sort of leading me to think about the occult.
Then it was just a spirit, or ghost, or whatever, taking the form of said guy... then some weirdo shows up and kills it. Then the girl miraculously changes her vision on life and ends the episode with a "I still don't like myself, but I'm still alive."

After this first episode, I don't really know what to expect. Overall, this was not a good episode. Despite being painfully slow, it failed to show me what the show is about. It just seemed like wasted time. And if the whole seires is about people "offering" their souls and the weirdo (Boogiepop?) saving them, it will still feel like wasted time. I'm also a little bothered with the weak artwork and the exageratedly pale coloring (which somehow reminds me of Lain), but I'll see how this plays out.
Mar 25, 2010 4:04 PM

Sep 2008
How can Mamiko Noto be so depressed? She has like the perfect voice; everyone should love her! I'm glad the person who I think may be Boogiepop (didn't look at characters yet) saved her though. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2010 3:46 PM

Jun 2009
i think it should be pretty boring anime, BUT
i love the sounds!! especially background electronic one.
Apr 25, 2010 7:11 PM

Apr 2010
I feel like I'm watching Serial Experiments Lain again.

And that is a good thing.
Oct 2, 2010 11:01 PM
Sep 2009
Arcanus said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Why are people still living if we'll all die anyway?"
So this series starts with such a premise...

Anyway, the plot here felt like a mess. The "people suddenly vanishing" plot device has been used way too many times, but then the main character (of this episode, at least) sees an apparition of an old crush of hers, a guy that supposedly vanished, sort of leading me to think about the occult.
Then it was just a spirit, or ghost, or whatever, taking the form of said guy... then some weirdo shows up and kills it. Then the girl miraculously changes her vision on life and ends the episode with a "I still don't like myself, but I'm still alive."

After this first episode, I don't really know what to expect. Overall, this was not a good episode. Despite being painfully slow, it failed to show me what the show is about. It just seemed like wasted time. And if the whole seires is about people "offering" their souls and the weirdo (Boogiepop?) saving them, it will still feel like wasted time. I'm also a little bothered with the weak artwork and the exageratedly pale coloring (which somehow reminds me of Lain), but I'll see how this plays out.

I tried to start this show a while back, got two episodes in, and got distracted by shiny things. I vowed to finish it this time around. So here's what I got from the episode after my second viewing:

In one of the opening scenes, there are some girls standing around talking about the 'mysterious light' and the resulting disappearances, and then they move on to talk about what they think happened- Boogiepop, the 'grim reaper', killed the disappeared ones.
Much later on, our self-loathing protagonist works up the courage to go and find her loved one, Saotome, and tracks him down, only for it to turn out to be a monster of some kind. Realizing that her chase was hopeless from the start and that she just confessed to an abomination, she gives up on life completely, allowing it to devour her and end her miserable existence...
Except, that's not what happens. In a flash, a blade kills it, and Boogiepop tells her to stop being a whiny little brat. Oh. And he/she killed Saotome.
Boogiepop outright confesses to having killed him, in probably the most nonchalant manner he/she could muster, and then walks away. Because they're just that badass.
Realizing that if he/she wanted to, Boogiepop could have easily killed her as well, and that she doesn't actually want to die, she just thought she did, the protagonist picks herself up, brushing off her scrape with death itself and nowhere near as suicidal as before. She still dislikes herself, but at least she doesn't think it wouldn't matter if she were alive or dead, anymore. She prefers life.

...At least, that's what I got. YMMV. Yeah, there's a lot of cliche, but it's put together in a way that I don't really care. Show's interesting. :)
ScrewBallOct 2, 2010 11:05 PM
Just my two cents.
Oct 6, 2010 12:28 PM

Mar 2010
planeterian said:

I agree completely, it reminds me of Lain in so many ways. And because Serial Experiments Lain is my most favorite anime, I really enjoyed this episode. I hope it will continue in the same style (which is perfect in my opinion).

Story? Its too early to judge, but atmosphere and thoughts of Moto... It was excellent.
Nov 27, 2010 10:34 AM
May 2010
creepy good psycho semi-shut-in, lainy as can be, love the art style. shows real promise I hope I remain confuzzled till the last drop, drops. I like this show right where it is and hope it goes nowhere. moss grows on all my favorite things
Dec 16, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2008
I'm feeling some lain undertones. Interesting.. onto episode 2!
May 27, 2011 4:21 PM
May 2011
planeterian said:

LOL same here.
but Lain looks like she's hiding something, while Moto just looks really dumb. i mean, come on, "oh, wait a minute, the guy i liked never had blue arms in his mouth! you must be someone else!"
Jul 7, 2011 10:25 PM

Dec 2009
Well, this is my second time trying to watch this show. I originally dropped it about 5 years ago... although I never finished, one thing I've always liked is the ending :D but anyway, nice episode.
Aug 3, 2011 12:25 AM
Jun 2010
Word of advice: This show expects you to go into it having read the Boogiepop at Dawn and Boogiepop and Others light novels. If you haven't, this show won't make any damn sense, as it's meant to be a continuation of those two.

Some explanations (spoilers for Boogiepop and Others):

SuperLlamaAug 3, 2011 12:29 AM
Jul 4, 2012 2:21 PM

Nov 2011
Aug 29, 2012 1:19 PM

Nov 2009
Creepy as hell, and i guess i'm not the only one who got a SEL vibe from it lol.

It did seem to drag on and not really accomplish anything, but it's only the first episode.
Sep 12, 2012 7:00 AM

Apr 2012
A really nice first episode: good introspective sepia colors, breakcore drones here and there, an enthrallingly dark and intriguing atmosphere, I'm in!
I can foresee a possible pacing issue, but other than that, it all seemed very promising.
EratiKDec 23, 2013 7:22 AM
Jan 5, 2013 10:26 PM

Jun 2008
I was recommended this show a few years back, but I'm finally getting the chance to watch it.

I enjoyed the mood the animation set for the episode, but I can't say I wholly enjoyed the episode. It reminds me of Lain which I love, so I'm approaching this not expecting everything to really feel complete until the conclusion. However, compared to Lain this episode did not match up to its level.
Aug 19, 2013 5:38 AM

Aug 2012
Arcanus said:

It's a mental disorder called OCD.

I like the atmosphere in this show.
Oct 31, 2013 7:40 PM

Jun 2013
The plot didn't really catch my interest in this episode, which would have been fine if the characters were at all likable. Doesn't help that I heard the show doesn't really improve on this later either. Poor animation that is definitely showing its age, a murky art style, and a lackluster dub don't win it any points for me.

I'm sure the sub is better, but even if it is, there's not enough here to hold my interest. People here are comparing it to Serial Experiments Lain, which I thought was OK, but I'll have to drop this. Guess I'll try Hell Girl and see where that takes me.
Dec 23, 2013 7:21 AM

Aug 2013
This is just confusing, why is everything in scene's? It better not be one of those anime's where you only understand it after watching more than once, the writers probably think they are being "deep".
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Jun 19, 2014 10:23 AM
Jun 2013
Cant believe the taste of sex turned that one girl into a cheating bitch but ill give it to her at least she admited to it.The first episode was ok if its intent was to give off a creepy mood it did work.Just wish there was more meat to it hopefully it will get better later on.
Jun 24, 2014 11:19 PM

Aug 2013
I have no idea what's going but I gotta say, that was a bit unsettling especially the screwed up SFX.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 29, 2014 11:56 PM

Jul 2008
The SFX were really off putting, I'm assuming that was intentional. Definitely a very bland color tone to this series, It's quite unsettling.

This is one of those animes where you don't know what the hell is going on, and I like that approach to start.
Jul 18, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2013
this was an interesting premise. not sure if i like it or not

definitely dislike the protagonist tho
Oct 29, 2014 6:15 PM

Jun 2014
I agree with the people saying this reminds me of Serial Experiments Lain.
dat 90's SFX quality tho
Dec 26, 2014 11:05 AM

Apr 2009
my head hurts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2015 2:17 PM

Feb 2014
Definitely getting some Lain vibes here. I enjoy this so far, interesting scenes.
Aug 25, 2015 11:43 AM

Apr 2014
First thought: Serial Experiments Lain, haha. Didn't enjoy that one very much so let's see how I'll feel about this one.
Oct 31, 2015 1:58 PM

Jan 2012
Seems promising ,despite its vintage.

Mar 23, 2017 12:21 PM

May 2012
Well this sure had a quite atmosphere all over it! Interesting, but not sure if I'm up for this series tonight... I do wonder what kind of story it has to offer though, but well it does feel rather dark!

Either way let's see what's next.
May 29, 2017 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
i'll give it one more episode, so far i'm not a fan but that could be changed. it's a bit too depressing for my preference, and the old bad quality animation and muted colors aren't helping (although it does set a certain mood of the anime, which some might like)
May 31, 2017 11:42 AM
Nov 2015
I know it sounds familiar.
BUT MOTO IS MAMIKO NOTO'S FIRST ROLE!!!!
May 31, 2017 12:08 PM
Nov 2015
The preview!!!! Classical music again!!!
I'm kind of nostalgic for this kind of shows. animes which have so much shadows and disturbing noises. Back in the early 2000s Japanese youth really seemed to be discontented ab life.
Madhouse used to make this kind of shows a lot. Now their shows are so colorful, which is good, but I miss shows with this much darkness, pale and white faces glowing in black alley.
Yeah, the art style is beautiful too. grainy and fits the atmosphere.
Jun 16, 2017 2:15 PM

Jun 2017
Eh, disappointing if I'm honest. I've heard it built up a whole lot in comparison to Lain, but despite its thick atmosphere, it lacks the human touch that Lain had. It just feels like a sham watching these characters, who lack any sense of humanity, like they have anything meaningful to say whatsoever. It feels forced, is what I'm trying to say, especially the writing.
Apr 22, 2018 3:19 PM

Feb 2013
It's been 10 years since I first watched this. I didn't really understand it then, but I gave it 7/10 so I must have enjoyed it.

Rewatch 1, start!

It's the first episode... nobody knows what is going on yet.

It certainly is interesting/weird. Love the atmosphere. The narrow-vision effect works well with this anime.
Sep 10, 2018 9:37 PM

Aug 2016

And that is a not good thing.
:v
Nov 14, 2018 3:09 PM

Nov 2016
Not bad so far and as expected, they really nailed the atmosphere. Sometimes I have my days where I'm exactly digging this.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2019 2:51 AM

May 2017
I've been wanting to watch this for a while, so I better finish before starting the 2019 version. First ep wa interesting enough for me. I liked the girl, her OCD was interesting. And the story did pull me in. What are these strange creatures or ghosts that inhabit some people's bodies after death?
I also agree that I get some Serial Experiments Lain vibes~
Mar 4, 2019 12:16 AM

Dec 2015
The colours palette, the sound direction, the fragmented narration and its paperboard, the restricted vision: incredible beginning !

5/5

I'm wondering how can people find this confusing when it's clearly cut into scenes. Of course, it draws from past book events for the context, but the story, here, is clearly the episode heroin's "life"/mentality.

Feb 4, 2020 6:32 PM

Oct 2012
Ooo I really like this so far, it's so much like lain but clearly going a different direction with the story. I dont expect it to be as good but very high expectations
Feb 19, 2020 1:46 AM

Dec 2018
I'm watching this after finishing the 2019 canon remake. And from what I found out from Wikipedia, this show takes place between the first arc and second arc of the 2019 version(Boogiepop and Others and Boogiepop Vs Imaginator). Hence why Saotome is in this.

But still, technically this is not canon to the original light novels and manga.

Anyway still I loved the 2019 show and after seeing the first episode I'm clearly very interested in this.
Aug 10, 2020 11:00 PM

Sep 2016
As it may or may not be known, Boogiepop Phantom means the world to me, and there is not an anime other than Neon Genesis Evangelion which has had such a huge impact on me. And it is because of that that I will critique the series. The show already has a lot that I love so before it looks like I'm shitting on the show for no reason, I just want to say that the show is actually fantastic and I plan to write about it one day.

My biggest gripe with the show so far, other than the weird pace, is the fact that it tells more than shows. Instead of learning about the characters through visuals, usually, the character of that episode will talk about their lives over a couple of still shots. The problem is that it feels like I am reading a book, not watching a show. It's not that the backstories themselves are anything incompetent, but it softens the potential power behind each of these tales. Imagine a scene where Moto stares at herself in the mirror, picking her skin, visibly showing her disdain for herself, versus the part where she coldly tells the audience, "I hate myself." The show does utilize its visuals to an extent, but it could be argued it drops the ball on utilizing it for something incredibly important; characterization. This isn't always the case but I thought it could be mentioned. Onto the next episode.
Feb 18, 2021 7:10 PM

Oct 2020
wow.. i just started this series and i can already tell its going to be beautiful.. the sound editing, the sounds in general.. the lighting,, its executed wonderfully
thanks jeri <3
Feb 21, 2021 9:18 AM

Aug 2017
I came from the 2019 version, Moto Tonomura never existed in that anime and looks like this episode is a continuation of the first arc if im correct. Yep according to @SuperLlama, the first Boogiepop skipped that important arc while the new Boogiepop adapted that arc but deleted Moto for some reason (unless she's an anime original character but idk). I like the creepy mood from the old version.
NurguburuFeb 21, 2021 9:25 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 14, 2021 1:24 PM
Oct 2016
I liked this.
Pretty good introduction and tone establishment. Feels like Lain actually, which is a good thing. The visual storytelling kept me intrigued with good dialogue to connect its ideas. Good sound directing.
Main character's characterization felt a little overdone and edgy but it is palpable and maybe even forgivable due to the show's tone and conduction of ideas.
Did a good job in leaving "loose ends" in relation to the ambition it might have, im not worried about any possibility of incompetence at all.
Jul 16, 2021 5:23 PM

Mar 2018
Even since I watched Lain, I longed for an anime that took Lain's eerie and goosebumps inducing moments into a whole anime atmosphere.

This first episode feels like it fits this feeling to a tee.

The masterful sound mixed with it's great visual cuts created such a discomforting feeling. I already feel the improvement over the 2019 boogiepop as far as atmosphere, sound, and impact are concerned.

Looking forward to the rest of this.
Nov 6, 2021 5:27 PM

Jun 2010
The picture in the opening sequence seems to be intentionally blurry and there's an odd black dimming on each of the four corners of the picture during the episode, but not equally in each corner. Is this supposed to look like a projection in a cheap movie theater?
Apr 13, 2022 9:04 PM

Feb 2021
This feels a lot like lain. I'm not sure if it will be as good as that yet, although I did like this
Jul 18, 2022 7:37 PM

May 2020
Just like everyone else, I kept thinking about Lain throughout this whole thing. They're almost eerily similar, although apparently the only thing they have in common is they were both put out by Triangle Staff.
Oct 25, 2022 10:52 PM

Jan 2010
The last time I felt this disturbed by an anime was Ghost Hound's hospital scene. Between the distorted audio suddenly reverting to a deathly silence, the constantly tilted visuals , and the bleak coloration giving a feeling of creeping darkness, it's hard to not feel uneasy. It'll take a while to get used to the overbearing atmosphere, but I'm liking Boogiepop Phantom so far.
Dec 6, 2022 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
What a weird anime. Not sure if this is something I'll be interested in. Don't like the depressive, edgy type stuff all that much. The opening OST doesn't fit the atmosphere of the show to me. Everything sort of feels tossed together.
Feb 2, 2023 12:42 PM
Jul 2019
Ótimo episódio. Claramente a estética é o ponto alto da série por enquanto. sombria e opressora, ela passa ao espectador a sensação de peso, o que é ajudado pelo design de som, além da forma como o anime é organizado.

A historia foi interessante, e tenho a impressão que a serie será sobre vários contos. Veremos
gagaldiFeb 2, 2023 12:48 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bwaffles - Nov 23, 2008

56 by num-ami-dabutz »»
Apr 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 6 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 27, 2010

25 by Pineappleshogun »»
Apr 10, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 10 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

23 by Walhtatron »»
Mar 9, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 9 Discussion

Urufuzu_rein - Jun 28, 2010

35 by divlyfein »»
Feb 15, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop Phantom Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Mar 6, 2010

30 by EtherLux »»
Jan 20, 3:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.