Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2009 8:19 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't know why, but somehow it always seems to me that most of the earliest new anime series of any given season are garbage. It's as if the creators of these shows want to quickly get them out into the public view, before the fans can start to watch better shows. The new Nomad adaptation of the short novel series "Kampfer", by the author of "Maburaho", fits right into this pattern that I have observed over the past 12 or so years.

I was suspicious of this series right from the basic premise - Natsuru Senou is a high school boy who is pulled unwillingly into a psychic battle society in which he has to change into a beautiful female form in order to be able to battle other beautiful girls. He is coached by a grotesque stuffed tiger doll that has blood drooling from its mouth and red intestines hanging out of a cut in its stomach.

Okay, it is obvious from the first episode that this series is a parody of fighting-babe series like "Tenjou Tenge". The plot, voice acting and animation all take second place to what is truly important to the series: lots of near-naked female skin. Speaking of voice acting, Natsuru's voice actress, Marina Inoue, doesn't even try to make the male-form of Natsuru sound vaguely male.

Over all, the first episode provides some dumb humor, some semi-etchi situations, and some action, but none of it is done very well. I would be tempted to write that the first episode is an insult to the viewer's intelligence, but to be fair, the first episode was so dumb it couldn't even insult a tree's intelligence.

So if you want dumb fun with lots of pretty girls and one gender-switcher you may well find Kampfer a reasonable time waster. I can't be bothered to waste more than the half hour I already spent on this series so I won't be following it any further.
aeroOct 10, 2009 1:50 AM
Oct 1, 2009 9:10 PM
Apr 2008
well its good enough to watch when i m hella bored/nothing to do so far.it is first epi after all so won't judge it just yet. hope it gets better tho.
Oct 1, 2009 9:40 PM

Jan 2009
many fans have been waiting for this show..
just look at the how many fansubs planned to sub this show in fansub wiki..
yeah..maybe it gets better...hope so..
DingDingDongOct 1, 2009 9:47 PM

Oct 1, 2009 9:43 PM

Apr 2009
GG said:
This is the shittiest show we have ever subbed

I have to watch this now.
Oct 1, 2009 9:44 PM
Sep 2008
It wasn't so good, but it wasn't a train wreck either.
It bothered me how Natsuru's male voice was so high. It was like he was ten years old or something.

I want to like it because I like gender switch stuff and I have a soft spot for characters with blue hair, but I don't know. I liked the music for it though.
Oct 1, 2009 9:46 PM

Jul 2009
lol, the randomness of the ending theme makes up for it. Swinging themselves violently, and then just ass and boobs?.. ya... they arnt even trying to hide the sexual idea there lol.

I do dislike how feminin he sounds, but he kinda has to lol, the manga states that he sounds the same in both forms, so and he cant sound like some man in the girl form (or else the fanservice factor would fail hard).

I think they could of definatly put more work into the artwork, but I do like how they did the faces.

Anyways, its worth watching just because its a magical girl anime based around a boy lol.
Oct 1, 2009 9:50 PM

Sep 2008
I'll be honest, I was really looking forward to this since I enjoy the ongoing manga.

Sadly I was kinda put off because of Senou's male voice. It sounds a little too light... lets see... as opposed to Yuji from Shakugan no Shana despite the character portrayal height difference.

Gotta love Akane though, such a Yui Horie sound-alike.
The transformation sequence is quite nice too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2009 10:19 PM

Aug 2008
Voices are quite bad... But, the episode itself wasn't too bad. Honestly, this is the type of anime I find enjoyable, but not brilliant. Gonna watch this show till the end.
Oct 1, 2009 10:31 PM

Sep 2007
Best show or best show. Definitely one of the best guilty pleasure shows I've started in a while. Hell yes voices and voice actor jokes.
Oct 1, 2009 10:35 PM
Mar 2009
Haylias said:
GG said:

Where is their site? I can't get to it from the link in the MAL database.

Oct 1, 2009 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
Right, it's stupid fanservice. And it got lots of it.

But on the other hand, it was done well. All those puns, the intensive seiyuu jokes and the ridiculous use of German language. All in all I enjoyed the first ep.
Oct 1, 2009 10:37 PM

Sep 2008
chinlamp said:
Haylias said:
GG said:

Where is their site? I can't get to it from the link in the MAL database.
gg
It's down atm though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2009 10:37 PM
Mar 2009
HawthorneKitty said:

Would be why I can't access it.

Oct 1, 2009 10:42 PM

Sep 2008
chinlamp said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Would be why I can't access it.
If you were just looking for the quote, AnimeTake quotes them on it, but I guess one would want to see it on their very own website.
Oct 1, 2009 10:52 PM

Jul 2007
I read the first two chapters of this series a while ago, so I knew what to expect.
The first episode was alright, Akane was the best part about it.
Oct 1, 2009 10:59 PM

May 2009
I like these kinda shows , I mean the kind of shows that know what they are aiming for. AKA male fan service with bishoujos and some fighting. It hasn`t really tried to thicken the plot or try to hide those bouncy things under their shirts, this show knows where it`s going, even if that place is unknown to "normal" viewers.

But i do agree the voicing is TERRIBLE for Natsuru male ...
Oct 1, 2009 11:01 PM

Sep 2007
There's worse shit out there... like Queen's Blade.
Oct 1, 2009 11:07 PM

Sep 2008
Wasabi said:
Whoa whoa whoa, what are you talking about? I mean sure both have Mamiko Noto in it, but...
Oct 1, 2009 11:15 PM

Jan 2009
Wasabi said:
Or Mars of Destruction.

Anyway I dropped this shit.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Oct 1, 2009 11:16 PM

Feb 2008
Talent wasted.

I laughed many times, anyway. It's a good time waster, highest reason being the voice acting cast.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Oct 1, 2009 11:16 PM

Jul 2009
Haylias said:
GG said:

ROFL i'm curious about this when i read their comment XD
Oct 1, 2009 11:18 PM

Oct 2008
I don't know what you people expected, but i randomly downloaded this and i liked it.
Oct 1, 2009 11:21 PM

Aug 2008
I was hoping that Marina Inoue would have been able to pull off a different voice for male Natsuru apart from her standard male roles... Guess I expected too much.

And I thought the plushies were females (They were referred to as "he" in the subs.)? I mean, sure, they're not alive, so technically they don't have a gender, but I do remember them being female in the manga or something, judging from their way of speech.
Oct 1, 2009 11:44 PM

Nov 2007
I don't remember the plushies being female in the manga myself, I actually was most surprised by the way they casted Natsuru's plushie, I'm not sure what I expected but it wasn't that. The overall package was pretty much what I expected considering the source and the cast (I do love Marina Inoue but a manlier Natsuru voice would have been great). If this ends up being this seasons Akikan I'll be more or less satisfied I guess, not particularly looking for the greatest series out there, just a few terrible laughs once a week.
Oct 2, 2009 12:04 AM

Aug 2007
It probably doesn't hold a candle to Ranma 1/2.
Oct 2, 2009 12:11 AM

Jul 2009
Well it's pretty much entertaining, it's stupid in many ways but it's entertaining

I hope gg wouldn't dropped this, cause i'm gonna watch it.

Poor guy, Sakura fallen to the female side not the male, at least that will keep me watching XD
LaevanteinOct 2, 2009 12:16 AM
Oct 2, 2009 12:29 AM

Feb 2008
I found this to be pretty entertaining. The voice acting (along with the seiyuu jokes) is obviously the best part of this show.
Oct 2, 2009 12:36 AM

Jun 2008
I'm not really expecting much out of this show, but I'm liking it so far. I got a good share of laughs from this episode.
Oct 2, 2009 1:20 AM
Jul 2009
Not bad. Hoppin right into the action which is a pretty good hook. Seems to have a pretty good foundation for a good show. Hopefully they can following through with some story. Lead male is a little effeminate. Character designs are good.

I'm surprised Sakura didn't run when Akane shot at them. I know I'd be dodging some bullets then. He should just transform right in front of her. Problem solved. Akane is really dirty minded and really wants to be abused sexually.

I'll be watching this one. Seems interesting enough.
Oct 2, 2009 1:21 AM

Jun 2008
Well so far it seems that people who haven't read the manga hates it pretty bad. I'm a fan of the manga, and I find that the anime is pretty much the same, if not better. I can actually see the character move and speak now. Though I must say that I'm disappointed that they didn't get two seiyuu to do Natsuru's voice, since Inoue makes the male version sound very feminine from what I imagine he would sound like. I'd imagine he sound something like Tomoya from Clannad, or Saito from Zero no Tsukaima.
Oct 2, 2009 1:28 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Catboy said:
It wasn't so good, but it wasn't a train wreck either.
It bothered me how Natsuru's male voice was so high.
i agree.

I noticed that the sound effects were quite well done. Random, but they fit it. Other than that, I don't think I'll continue watching this. Definitely not my cup of tea. I'll give it one or two more episodes though.
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 2, 2009 1:51 AM

May 2007
lol, awesome episode. The plot is again an excuse for ecchi scenes and random cliché accidents / misunderstandings. The girls are cute, there's some yuri, and I laughed quite a bit. Will be watching this shit.
Oct 2, 2009 2:10 AM

Aug 2008
Nothing spectacular but still some way to shit status. But usually first episodes are misleading.
Oct 2, 2009 2:12 AM

Mar 2008
Generic crap! That said, when you don't take it serious it's actually pretty entertaining. I was constantly making fun of the stupid and generic jokes and the situational jokes. Not sure, I will follow this, but I will at least watch the next episode.

Marina Inoue's male voice is really not befitting the age of the protagonist. That said the female version's voice is sex. To hear Ayu-Ayu's voice again is also rather entertaining.
Oct 2, 2009 2:13 AM
Oct 2008
The first episode was alright I didn't really like the OP & ED I really liked the art the stockings looked quite nice :P the voice actors were a little bad well only for the male I think it would of been better with 2 actors for the main male character..overall it wasn't that bad I only just liked the art and Akane voice especially when she changes XD
Oct 2, 2009 2:21 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty awesome little first episode. Exactly like I was expecting it to be. ^_^ I'm satisfied with it at least.
Oct 2, 2009 2:22 AM

May 2009
Gonna carry on watching it, if only because i've started it.
Oct 2, 2009 2:50 AM
Feb 2009
gg dropped this :/
and it's shit anyways >.>
Oct 2, 2009 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
Who cares whether or not gg does or drops it?

I'll enjoy this in the "guilty pleasure" category ;)
Oct 2, 2009 3:17 AM

Apr 2009
I couldn't even watch the first episode till the end it's a garbage.

i mean wtf boy turning into a girl?

no wonder why gg dropped subbing this.
Oct 2, 2009 3:25 AM

Jul 2009
Afrolukas said:
I couldn't even watch the first episode till the end it's a garbage.

i mean wtf boy turning into a girl?

no wonder why gg dropped subbing this.
Welcome to anime world..You should see Ranma 1/2, a man turned into a pig..a girl turned into a kitten..an old man turned into a panda..
Oct 2, 2009 3:32 AM

Jun 2007
Can someone please make a troll sub for this show, where each "Kämpfer" or all other german words are replaced by a beep or something?
Oct 2, 2009 3:36 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Mathes said:
Can someone please make a troll sub for this show, where each "Kämpfer" or all other german words are replaced by a beep or something?
best idea ever. i volunteer myself to be quality checker :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 2, 2009 3:47 AM

Sep 2008
well i liked it, figthing bishojos are nice and the gender blender part its not so used so its ok
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 2, 2009 3:52 AM

Jul 2008
I loved it, but I had a 2 hour lecture in Theory of the Firm before I watched it so that probably increasing my rating of the first episode by at least two points =D
Oct 2, 2009 4:06 AM
Sep 2008
It feels like I'm watching Akikan again ;S. Well, will continue to watch due to boredom and what is a season without a crappy show?
Oct 2, 2009 4:11 AM
Nov 2007
What's wrong with this anime
I just watch it recently. I thinks it quite average, so FAR.
But the think that make dumbstruck is the chara in the show know other chara seiyuu.
What's up with that.
Oct 2, 2009 4:18 AM
Nov 2007
Maybe this anime doesnt really have fourth wall or something.
May be in next couple episode , one chara might say
"My weird doll sound like Mamiko Noto"
Can't wait to hear that
Oct 2, 2009 4:24 AM

Sep 2008
7123x said:
Maybe this anime doesnt really have fourth wall or something.
May be in next couple episode , one chara might say
"My weird doll sound like Mamiko Noto"
Can't wait to hear that
Mamiko Noto, HECK YES!
Oct 2, 2009 4:39 AM

Oct 2007
Generic-mindless-ecchi. Exactly the kind I wanna watch when my brain doesnt want to think.
First ep was good enough, i'll continue to watch this one.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kämpfer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Dec 17, 2009

252 by il887 »»
Apr 20, 2:53 AM

» Crap show

sjw_vegeta - Feb 2

10 by Arnez »»
Feb 7, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Kämpfer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ShanaFlame - Oct 22, 2009

126 by Lolicon »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:05 PM

Poll: » Worst Character?

neow_neow - Oct 31, 2009

36 by Lolicon »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Kämpfer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Proselyt - Dec 10, 2009

223 by White_Alice »»
Apr 28, 2023 7:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.