Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2009 4:37 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a pretty cool opening episode and hilarious end credit sequences with the photo-book.

The world design is good, character design not so much. Main characters are cool, bad guys are meh.

"Captain!"
*everyone looks*
"No smoking!"
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 17, 2009 4:31 PM

May 2008
I thought it was ok, not really impressed by the animation, I mean I know it's from 1982 but there are shows that were released earlier than actually look better like Future Boy Conan for example.
Jun 24, 2010 7:54 PM

Jan 2010
saintcross said:
I thought it was ok, not really impressed by the animation, I mean I know it's from 1982 but there are shows that were released earlier than actually look better like Future Boy Conan for example.
Come on, cut them some slack, even if the character design wasn't top notch, the animation was great, even better than many shows that have been released recently...
Sep 15, 2010 3:02 PM

May 2008
I agree the animation is far ahead of that time~
I liked this episode, nice start for the series, though I didn't like the antagonists, they look weird.
Jan 23, 2011 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
not a bad first episode for a series this old
Feb 9, 2011 10:44 AM
May 2010
Hilariously bad dub. But the japanese audio sounds so muffled that I'm stuck with the dub. Usually I like them but some of the voices are so bad. But otherwise this is going to be an enjoyable series like all the other Macross series I've seen. Honestly the animation doesn't bother me at all considering this is so old.
Mar 30, 2011 8:00 PM

May 2010
I almost fell asleep
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 30, 2011 8:01 PM
Nov 2010
Confucius said:
I almost fell asleep

Wow is it that bad ?
Apr 7, 2011 12:09 PM

Feb 2009
So far,Ii don't know if i'll make it thtough this series.
The opening theme song is cool though: "MAKUROS,MAKUROS" lol

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
May 1, 2011 12:14 AM

Jun 2009
Looks, like the second time may be the charm. I mean, the episode wasn't all that great but it was respectable.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 10, 2011 6:54 AM

Mar 2009
Watched it as Robotech episode 1, and I thought it was fantastic!!

I haven't watched an old mech in a while, I forgot that awesome feeling you get in your gut, from an epic mecha series!!

I enjoyed the dub, especially considering it's from the 80's.
And, the fact that they stayed perfectly on the timing is surprising.
Most dubs from this era are so out of sync, like they didn't even try to line it up, that I can't watch them.

I love the mech designs as well. Looking forward to devouring this series, and the others in the Robotech series.

Urahara Out!!
Jun 21, 2011 2:47 PM

Nov 2010
I have to agree on the mecha designs. They are pretty, and it is only just the first episode.
Nov 8, 2011 7:10 PM
May 2011
-Watching Super Dimension Fortress ADV Dub on Hulu

Taking its age into account, that was surprisingly good. The world is intriguing and promises mystery and adventure. The art, while old, doesn't throw me off too much--although it is kind of funny recognizing typical anime archetypes and seeing how they were displayed differently back then. It's funny too remembering how someone described anime to me as "a cartoon style where they make the eyes really big." I'd say the animation was better than I expected, although my only real frame of reference is from watching Dragonball (1986).

Anyway, I'm excited to watch this show! I was expecting Hikaru to dramatically save the day in a cheesy fashion, but he didn't, which I guess shows some maturity in this show. Also, I'm intrigued by the closing sequence with the guy flipping through the scrapbook--I'm sure that'll take on quite some significance for me by the time I'm done.
Nov 22, 2011 2:15 PM

Feb 2010
ChaosLegion said:
So far,Ii don't know if i'll make it thtough this series.
The opening theme song is cool though: "MAKUROS,MAKUROS" lol

dam I loved the opening song i got a few laughs from it just from hearing him scream MAKUROS like 50 times lol.
Sheepshaman.png
Apr 22, 2012 10:02 PM

May 2010
I was impressed by the animation. Movies from this era seem to have better animation, but TV series not so much. I mean, original Gundam? I liked this a lot more and it's only two years later. I also liked the character designs of the girls on the ship, but I agree the enemies looked rather silly. Anyways, good start, and I agree about that epic feeling one gets from good mech shows. Yay!
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 5, 2012 4:06 AM
Dec 2010
Haha watching oldie anime is fun,
Those female hair styles are unforgettable haha
Also seeing that "computer" on board of the SDF Macross, i had feeling that my cell phone is capable of at least 10 times higher computing performance then all of their ship's computing gear together.. i know i know it took place in year cca 2010 those two years made big difference in smart phones development haha ..

But now seriously, they did good job at that time, considering it's been 30 yrs already from airing of the 1st episode .. WoW .. Good Job :)
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jan 22, 2013 5:35 PM
May 2011
Just watched this a second time.

I have to add that between this time and the first time I watched this episode, I had watched all of Mobile Suit Gundam (1979-1980). Becoming accustomed to classic anime has GREATLY increased my appreciation for this first episode of Macross.
May 15, 2013 4:33 AM

Feb 2010
I think this episode has a good balance in everything. It looks promising even if aliens are meh...

greenmarty said:
Haha watching oldie anime is fun,
Those female hair styles are unforgettable haha
Sent with Mal Updater

yeah :D
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Sep 20, 2013 3:40 PM

Apr 2012
I thought this was an impressive episode.

They managed to present a lot of informations about the characters/situation rather efficiently: like how the black girl fooled around or how Fokker watched that girl's ass; or how the Macross destructive power was shown as it crashes or fires.

General designs were good, Fokker's and Hikaru's fighters were pretty cool. Animation and direction were a bit rough around the edges, but there was something ambitious about them. I also really liked the opening.
EratiKSep 20, 2013 3:53 PM
Mar 30, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2011
I read the novels rather than watching the show way back, so it's a kick seeing them brought to life. I think the animation holds up pretty well for 30 years on, but yeah, those are real 80's hairstyles, and that stache on the Captain....
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 16, 2014 3:16 PM

Jan 2014
It's basically about an alien spaceship which crushed on Earth.
Plane -> Robot transformation ! The MC seems cool, too :)
Jul 21, 2014 5:08 AM

May 2013
Not a big fan of the opening, not really a fan of old songs like that.

The MC seems okay so far. Nothing really captured my interest this episode.
Jan 8, 2015 4:33 AM
Apr 2009
JESUS!!!!
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw Hayase for the first time. She looks like an alien :)
All the other female characters at the Macross' bridge were much better looking.
Jan 17, 2015 6:19 AM

Sep 2013
handdrawn style looks great IMO, except for the lack of character standardization (and I guess blobs existed back then.)

My main problem though is that the plot progression requires a suspension of disbelief. Wtf, they still used to fly monoplanes and now they have fighters that can transform into mechs? Not even 2015 would be that advanced : / (Also, he didn't know about the type B function, but he knew how to operate a mech and get himself back on his feet? What? )
May 10, 2015 2:19 PM
Jul 2014
Sure takes me back when I was a child! Even by today's standard this show is more than decent and I'm sure gonna re-watched it!
May 22, 2015 6:03 PM
Aug 2011
FrozenSoda said:

i'm the opposite, these old OPs fascinate me
May 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Mar 2014
parfaited said:
FrozenSoda said:

i'm the opposite, these old OPs fascinate me

+1

And Macross' opening is one of the all-time greats! Up there with Cruel Angel's Thesis in the pantheon.
Dec 30, 2015 9:05 PM

Feb 2013
Visually, this a bit better than I expected considering it's age. Looks like a fun time
Apr 12, 2016 6:51 PM

Jun 2013
Am watching the new Macross Delta series, so I though I'd give the original macross a shot, and I like what I've seen so far :)
May 14, 2016 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
My first time with the true version of this series (watched the infamous Robotech part made from it and "Do you remember love?"). After so long, it is strange to see the first TV drawings of all those beautiful characters created by Mikimoto. But it looks good enough for that period of course, except Hayase who looked like some weird ill person. My only "shock" came when I saw the two "main" Zentrædi, I had totally forgotten how they compared to their movie redesigns, Another thing I had forgotten is how cool Focker is. (now that I am gone through Gundam 0079, I immediately thought about Sleggar when he appeared ^^").

The episode is the perfect example of an effective first episode: a short history lesson introducing the state of the world and a primary mystery, almost every important character gets a moment to display a trait (except for Minmay), an unknow ennemy strikes (and the anime keeps one of their main characteristics secret) and referenced yet another faction (wich helps to expand the universe even more), and it offers a little cliff-hanger...

4/5

July 11, 2020
St0rmblade said:

Pretty good animation. Was Macross the first show to introduce transforming mechas? I

Probably. If only they knew what effect it would have... (bad influence on Zeta).

We can't blame the writers/directors of this generation to feature this concept heavily, I guess.

December 16, 2020
@Miggzy64 It won't look like that often. You'll have errors on errors and diformed faces (not only for background characters but for the main ones on the foreground) for a little chunk of the series, with some less prevalent falls in quality elsewhere. On the other hand, the (initially envisioned) finale, ep.27, looks incredibly good and there are some rare scenes here and there where the character do look almost exactly like Mikimoto's designs.

It was also made by some people who took part in the first Gundam if I remember well. Notably Ichirô Itano who was working as an animator for Tomino (on Gundam and maybe another series).

About the Walkyries, I'm not sure anymore. But it certainly gave a kick in popularity to the concept, when you see that it wa (over) implemented in the second Gundam right after.
Rei_IIIDec 16, 2020 2:12 AM
Jul 10, 2016 7:04 AM

Jul 2015
Dope opening, was signing it the whole episode, macross.....MACROSS...........Macross !!!!!
Oct 5, 2016 3:41 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice begining, with a plot that hooks up!!!!!
Feb 10, 2017 3:24 AM

Apr 2014
I hope the singing part is not far away. Because thats the reason I started this.
Aug 14, 2017 7:56 AM

Jul 2017
You can really see how this came off from Gundam: there are versions of the White Base, Hikaru is quite like Amuro (no Newtype though), and we have the love-at-first-sight thing like Lalah and Amuro. It works well, though I wish the bad guys were as complex and cool as Char. I think Macross will stand on its own though.
Oct 1, 2017 1:13 PM

May 2015
I'm digging this, especially the OP. I can't wait for more.
Oct 12, 2017 12:24 AM

Mar 2016
I watched this anime a long time ago but I forgot the story. Now I watch it again, the mecha design and the war are still great but the character animation is a bit weird.

The ending was so nostalgic I fell asleep lol
kikiabdullOct 12, 2017 12:30 AM
Oct 19, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2016
Solid start,premise seems interesting and I'm digging the beautiful art of this anime.

Hope it stays this good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 25, 2018 11:53 PM

Jan 2010
Major Focker. A+ name, no idea if it was intentional or not though.
Oct 31, 2018 8:11 PM

Feb 2014
Well, time start this classic.
Feb 16, 2020 12:38 PM

Feb 2017
I guess it's finally time for me to start this classic.
It was really good first episode. I already find characters likeable, mainly the captain and that blonde dude. Setting and premise are interesting. Also animation was surprisingly good.
Jul 10, 2020 2:19 AM

Aug 2017
Interesting opening episode, cool character designs for women (especially the hairstyle of Hayase gets Uzumaki flashbacks *_*), captain Global totally looks like Nemo from Nadia (or actually the other way round; and he's voiced by the same guy who played Schönkopf in LOGH), and there's a black woman in the crew, which is, I believe, a rare thing back in those days. And she even got to sit on some floating thing.
Pretty good animation. Was Macross the first show to introduce transforming mechas? I believe so.
The alien ships and the aliens themselves looked like Gamilas from Yamato to me. Will they have any depth to them? "We cannot justify destroying them", interesting. What're they up to?

Though how did Macross fire in space while stationed on Earth? The beam kinda went horizontally and then vertically.

Surprised to see the next episode preview before the ED, now that's something unexpected. The ED was awesome though, I'm a big fan of incorporating live-action footage in the ED, and here it's just that.

Also looks like the first Macross show had quite a lot of interesting people working on it, especially from Gainax. And it's directed by Noboru Ishiguro himself! He would later direct the absolutely awesome Legend of the Galactic heroes.

Looking up to next episodes, it'll be exciting to compare Macross with Gundam.

P.S. The flashes during the crash and the appearance of the aliens caught me off guard. I wonder if people got seizures from this 0_0

P.P.S. Seems like the idea of a unified Earth government is literally everywhere. Yamato, Gundam, Gunbuster, now Macross.

-------------------

Miggzy64 said:
This first episode has some really fluid animation at times! I hope that continues throughout the series and wasn't just for the pilot. Also, can anyone think of a *non super* robot that transforms that existed before the Valkyries? I like the characters so far, especially the lieutenants on the bridge. Hopefully this show stays interesting for the next 35 episodes!

Macross looks good on the design side, though occasionally you will clearly see some animation problems (esp. with the eyes). It didn't bother me that much personally, but you can notice that.

VFs were the first transformable fighter mecha, iirc. Macross pioneered quite a few things. Great to see you enjoyed the bridge bunnies ^_^
St0rmbladeDec 15, 2020 12:14 PM
Dec 15, 2020 12:55 AM
Jul 2019
Starting this after watching Gundam from the start up to the end of War in the Pocket. This first episode has some really fluid animation at times! I hope that continues throughout the series and wasn't just for the pilot. It's cool to see something made by people that clearly watched the original Gundam and liked it. Also, can anyone think of a *non super* robot that transforms that existed before the Valkyries? I like the characters so far, especially the lieutenants on the bridge. Hopefully this show stays interesting for the next 35 episodes!
Jul 17, 2022 12:26 AM
Mar 2019
i finally get the chance to watch this. i've been interested ever since seeing clips of newer macross

so far the first episode was great. the animation has really come a long way since msg first aired
Apr 4, 2023 4:19 PM
Mar 2016
Lets see how Hikaru manages to still alive after battle.
Nice first episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 4 Discussion

kiririnshi - Sep 15, 2009

36 by giannis85 »»
Mar 6, 10:58 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

71 by Daze_Daze_Yare »»
Dec 20, 2023 1:53 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 24 Discussion

JuicyBuddha - Jan 8, 2010

31 by YingZhe »»
Sep 30, 2023 8:01 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Jun 9, 2008

116 by kanata44 »»
Jul 3, 2023 2:29 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 35 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

41 by kanata44 »»
Jul 3, 2023 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.