Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 12, 2014 3:03 AM

Jul 2012
Beautiful episode once again. Loved the last scene when the songbirds flew.
Also the mushi where very cute in the shells.
Apr 12, 2014 5:26 AM

Apr 2008
art and atmosphere was so beautiful to the point that I'm on the verge of tears.
Apr 12, 2014 5:35 AM

Mar 2010
Feels were touched.
OP nice as always
Apr 12, 2014 6:16 AM

Oct 2012
Fucking beautiful as expected.

Loving the new OST.
Apr 12, 2014 6:23 AM

May 2010
Beautiful episode. ;_;

Character developments here really hit some feels.
And the scene where those bird-like mushis coming out of the shells and flying, my god, it was pure EUPHORIA! It's too beautiful..

OP still brings shiver and the music's great as usual.

AlexTheRiot said:
Really great episode. I loved the symbolism with Mina losing her voice, as her father was restricting her ability to make connections with people and move on by telling her not to talk to anyone.

Same thoughts here.
Apr 12, 2014 7:10 AM

Oct 2012
Whenever I come from work I always watch this just to relax. Glad they were able to solve their problems and live together as a village.
Apr 12, 2014 7:23 AM
Jun 2008
Those bird is cute inside those shell and scary as well !!
I never thought these mushi can predict bad omen.
Apr 12, 2014 7:34 AM

Nov 2010
That was some great story telling again
When the man and his daughter Mina decided to give the chief the pearl to get by it got to me as well
The last scene with the birds parting their shells was amazing
Apr 12, 2014 7:57 AM

Feb 2012
CookieBun said:
Is the budget lower than before? I notice a lot more empty-ish background scenes than the first season.

Unfortunately it seems so. Maybe there will a difference in the disc release, but other than that it is at least as competent.

Also, this is among the more beautiful stories in the second half of Mushishi, I think. These mushi are sort of like the people in the village, trying to hold together to avoid the disaster. There is just so many parallels you can draw in this show: nature, human behaviour, nature and even some folklore. It's truly on a different level.
Apr 12, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2014
One word
Amazing
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 12, 2014 10:46 AM

Jun 2009
Ah, that was beautiful. The sound of waves and seagulls soothed me endlessly. I loved to see Ginko walking along the shore amidst the rain and picking up the chirping seashell with the little bird-mushi inside. Once again, a very poignant and wonderful short story. I can’t get enough.

And oh, what gorgeous final scene—seeing all the mushi come out of their shells and fly away at the same time was magical.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Apr 12, 2014 11:12 AM

Oct 2010
Simple the best anime ever
Apr 12, 2014 11:39 AM

Aug 2010
I don't even think there's an episode I could possibly dislike when it comes to Mushishi.
Apr 12, 2014 11:57 AM

Jun 2012
Great episode as always!!!!!!!!
Apr 12, 2014 1:19 PM
Nov 2013
I love the opening song so much.
And man, this episode was beautiful. I was so happy when they returned to the village.
The Mushi were very adorable and were beautiful when they finally left the shore.
10/10 episode for me, next week come sooner.
Apr 12, 2014 1:21 PM

Mar 2012
One of my favourite Mushishi episodes yet. The bird sequence at the end looked beautiful and the episode tied everything together in a very lovely way. Is the budget higher in this season? It seems to be to me.
Apr 12, 2014 2:46 PM

Sep 2008
"there was nothing anybody could do"

man this ep was beautiful. Just fuckin sublime. So they all got through the disaster without any casualties thanks to Ginko's warning and some good old fashioned community cooperation. Nice.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 12, 2014 3:24 PM

Jun 2010
What an impressive episode. I can honestly say of all the anime I've watched this is an incredibly impressive such an emotional short story.
Apr 12, 2014 4:24 PM
May 2010
emeraldrosary said:
phantom19 said:
At first I thought the old guy was a jerk because he said he wouldn't warn the village. Now I see why he acted that way in the beginning. So the shark was basically a red herring, the red tide was actually the real danger back then.

But I'm sort of confused a little bit. So when the wife died 10 years ago, was there a red tide or was the sea red because of her blood?

Because if it was a red tide then a lot more villagers would've died because eating the fish during a red tide would kill them.

Actually the two events are technically unrelated. The shark killed Sakichi's wife 10 years before; the red tide disaster is a separate event. What links them is human memory: the blood of the wife coloring the waves in a way similar to red tide. More blood is shown than was probably realistic, perhaps to make it even more dramatic, or because the memory is so painful, that he "remembers" more blood than there was. The red tide's similar appearance seems to have been the painful trigger that caused S to forgive himself and the village elder.

Hope this helps!
Apr 12, 2014 4:34 PM

Dec 2008
Another excellent episode! Those bird-like mushi were beautiful. I'm glad Mina's father came around and returned to the village. That's probably what helped Mina get her voice back.

Is this really only going to be 12 episodes? I'm rather disappointed about that.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 12, 2014 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
Really liked the end shot. Such good animation.
Another good tale.
Apr 12, 2014 7:49 PM
Jul 2013
God that ending OST with the Bird-Mushi wow....

This anime is truly a fucking piece of art.
Apr 13, 2014 12:53 AM

Oct 2013
The scary red tide.... a little ghostly feel.
Apr 13, 2014 1:57 AM

Sep 2008
This was even better than the previous episode. The bird scene at the end was too good.

Thanks Mushishi. Never change.
Apr 13, 2014 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
Toaki90 said:
This anime is magic
Bheaze said:
liked the fact that ginko wasnt the feature of the ep, the show can carry itself without him and still work beautifully
It's not that strange, since they did it many times in previous season

but its nice that they dont just rely on him.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 13, 2014 7:04 AM

May 2012
Absolutely lovely, as always :>
The Mushi from this episode was adorable.
Apr 13, 2014 8:31 AM

Dec 2012
This is why I love this anime. There is no certainty on how the anime ends. Mushi just care about themselves and live in our ecosystem independently. How humans tamper with them is what changes the story. So the endings can either be happy or sad. In this case it was happy :)
Apr 13, 2014 10:39 AM

Jul 2009
Really liked the two girls' voices. Can someone translate the credits?
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Jan 2013
Another perfect episode, 10/10 or you fail.

One of the few shows that really can pull my emotions out. The final sequence with those Mushi-birds flying away along with that beautiful OST was worth at least 3 tears.

Mushishi is beautiful in every fucking way, and it's still the same masterpiece it ever was. Mushishi is a legend of the anime medium. The greatest anime production in its history.
Apr 13, 2014 1:30 PM

Oct 2013
That was amazing, an emotional episode.... This show was and still is a masterpiece to me!!!
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Apr 13, 2014 1:34 PM

Nov 2011
Bheaze said:
Toaki90 said:
This anime is magic
Bheaze said:
liked the fact that ginko wasnt the feature of the ep, the show can carry itself without him and still work beautifully
It's not that strange, since they did it many times in previous season

but its nice that they dont just rely on him.

I think that's what makes Mushishi so great. While Ginko is the main character all he essentially does is help give people a push to solve the problem, but it's up to the other characters to solve it themselves a lot of the times. That's also what can make it sad though, some people can overcome it and others can't. We haven't had any depressing episodes just yet in this season, but we'll probably have one soon.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 13, 2014 1:54 PM

Aug 2008
Fantastic episode, season's off to a very strong start! Lovely bit of human drama in this one with the mushi and Ginko being secondary to the plot.
It's probably already been said but that shot towards the end where the camera whirls around the girl as the mushi take flight was absolutely stunning and really caught me off guard. Was flipping through the manga version earlier in preparation, not sure if I'd do that for every episode though.

Anyone know when the soundtrack(s) are getting released?
Apr 13, 2014 5:40 PM

May 2013
This was a decent episode. It was a good old-fashioned village cooperation story.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Apr 14, 2014 12:29 PM

Mar 2012
Beautiful episode.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 14, 2014 3:34 PM

Nov 2008
Haleth said:
emeraldrosary said:
phantom19 said:
At first I thought the old guy was a jerk because he said he wouldn't warn the village. Now I see why he acted that way in the beginning. So the shark was basically a red herring, the red tide was actually the real danger back then.

But I'm sort of confused a little bit. So when the wife died 10 years ago, was there a red tide or was the sea red because of her blood?

Because if it was a red tide then a lot more villagers would've died because eating the fish during a red tide would kill them.

Actually the two events are technically unrelated. The shark killed Sakichi's wife 10 years before; the red tide disaster is a separate event. What links them is human memory: the blood of the wife coloring the waves in a way similar to red tide. More blood is shown than was probably realistic, perhaps to make it even more dramatic, or because the memory is so painful, that he "remembers" more blood than there was. The red tide's similar appearance seems to have been the painful trigger that caused S to forgive himself and the village elder.

Hope this helps!

Yeah it's so ironic that touches deep feels. Also if it was red tide that caused his wife's death then not only his wife but including himself so many people would have been poisoned by eating poisonous fishes and seashells just like the seabirds at the end of episode. Also yeah along with her wife, if it was red tide, some people would have been also dead along with her since they were basically on the sea and made contact with it.
Apr 15, 2014 1:30 AM

Jul 2013
And here i was planning on putting this on hold untill after it finished airing. Nope, that's not happening anymore.
Definitely going to look forward to this every week.

Apr 15, 2014 2:06 AM

Jan 2008
Another beautiful story. There are life tragedies but thanks to anime and mushishi, life is still beautiful.
Apr 15, 2014 7:40 AM

Apr 2012
It's great to see how mushishi is capable of putting more story and meaning behind 1 episode while so many anime fail to do this with even 12 or more episodes.
RSmokeApr 15, 2014 8:03 AM
Apr 15, 2014 3:17 PM

Dec 2010
On the one hand, this series has so far matched the first, being no less than superb in idea and execution. On the other, it serves as a rather potent reminder that there really hasn't been that many genuinely well done anime shows since the first season of Mushishi, as well as emphasising the mediocrity, banality and hackneyed-nature of many other current shows. A pity that a great piece of televisual entertainment should also highlight the generally wasted potential of a medium, though such a bitter-sweet observation is perhaps apt given the show's themes and tone...
Apr 15, 2014 6:19 PM

Aug 2010
Sublime episode. It makes me want to throw my two cents about the shark/red tide matter.

Qpax said:
Haleth said:
emeraldrosary said:
phantom19 said:

Hope this helps!

Yeah it's so ironic that touches deep feels. Also if it was red tide that caused his wife's death then not only his wife but including himself so many people would have been poisoned by eating poisonous fishes and seashells just like the seabirds at the end of episode. Also yeah along with her wife, if it was red tide, some people would have been also dead along with her since they were basically on the sea and made contact with it.

I'm not entirely sure about the detached passage due to these (sigh, I am unable to directly upload them right now...
Image 1: http://postimg.org/image/67i2588m5/
Image 2: http://postimg.org/image/rv70fo90d/

That made me think twice if the red tide wasn't the real reason for the wife's death. Of course you could say that if the red tide occured before, it would bring the dead fish to the surface, a thing that seemingly didn't happen when his wife was killed but here's my theory: the red tide might have happened when his wife was killed, the fish didn't surface because the shark (or the sharks, might be more than one) eat them all before that actually happened. So the shark appearances and the red tide may have been a nasty coincidence back then, there's no way we can be 100% sure about what happened. The fish wasn't poisoned back in the day because it is a rare occurance, like they said at the images above, so the villagers wouldn't be poisoned afterwards. Maybe I'm missing something but here's my take on this. The husband might have realised the situation after witnessing the red tide, and that's the catch for his "redemption".

Of course I might just be overthinking things and in fact a shark killed her, maybe. We will never know how his wife died for certain.

That's why I love Mushishi. So subtle, intelligent, imaginative... superb.
GuigasApr 17, 2014 7:05 AM
Apr 15, 2014 7:59 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode. The relief of the elder when the guy asked to come back to the village had me tearing up a little. His burden of guilt forgiven.

*sigh* Few more days til Friday...
Apr 16, 2014 2:32 AM

Jul 2009
The end teared me up slightly. Another great episode!

I'm glad that I watched it fairly late as I now only have three days to wait for the next ;)
Apr 17, 2014 4:09 AM

Mar 2008
Always a little frightening to see how precarious subsistence life is. As always, Mushishi keeps it simple and beautiful.
Apr 17, 2014 4:59 AM

Oct 2013
There isn't a thing I dislike about this Anime.
Apr 17, 2014 5:10 AM

Apr 2013
Tenacra said:
And here i was planning on putting this on hold untill after it finished airing. Nope, that's not happening anymore.
Definitely going to look forward to this every week.

why would you do that ? If there is any anime made for taking slowly, it's this one.
I'm chilling through season 1, a few episodes a week :)
Apr 18, 2014 2:09 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, Mushishi dealing with serious business again. That's some great writting right there.

As always, slow but powerful. I think it was easy to understand how both party felt. The father had good reason to be bitter against the village, but the town leader had also good reason to have saved his wife instead of the other guy wife. Really, it was a no one's wrong here.

Ginko acting as a neutral lever again. I think it's his best capacity, to take distance from the village problem, but still be compassionate for them. It allow him to have a bit more of liberty.

The beginning really let us thought that the story would be around those little bird, but the story was more around how a village and a fishing life can collapse in an instant. But also how by mutual aid, they can overcome those difficulties.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 19, 2014 1:10 AM

Jul 2008
Such a good anime to watch before going to bed. Glad it worked out again in this episode,

but what the heck is a red tide and what causes it?
Apr 19, 2014 11:47 AM
Apr 2014
A red tide is when a certain type of algae that forms due to over-abundance of human activity, making the water too rich with nutrients/aka factory waste, or a change in the sea's temperature. It is VERY toxic in large quantities, and will kill any sea-life that makes contact with it's vicinity, as well as any humans who ingest infected sea-life. Filter feeding animals, such as shellfish and clam, may accumulate large fatal doses in it's system when eating, but not die. Thus, any animals that eat the shellfish, will soon grow sick and die as well from the saxitoxin.
Apr 21, 2014 1:12 PM

Apr 2010
I love Mushishi. I love its slow, thoughtful nature and the deeply surreal feeling I get watching it. This is beauty to get lost in.
Apr 24, 2014 6:07 AM

Apr 2014
As always it was slow paced,calm and beautiful.........life may be hard but we have to move on........and the last part with all the Mushi Bird was beautiful
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2014

125 by I-yas-yes »»
Mar 23, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2014

157 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 15, 5:28 AM

» Is it just me?

Jundal - Dec 29, 2023

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Jan 9, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2014

93 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 8:30 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2014

116 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.