Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 13, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wonderful episode.

A family's decision is never easy especially for Chiyo. Yet, I think she is happy about it. Another feels trip ;.;. I also liked how the snow and frosty weather were consistent with the style of this episode.
Jun 13, 2014 9:32 AM

Jul 2010
I forgot the last time Ginko had issues during his travel.
It was a bit sad to see Chiyo dying, it was quite heartwarming. Milk being a replacement for blood.
The man did seem tired, does that imply that he worked to the point of exhaustion until the mushi had left. Or maybe he just took the purge; glad that they are still able to be happy in winter.
Jun 13, 2014 9:36 AM

Aug 2008
I'm glad it ended happily. :)
Jun 13, 2014 9:46 AM

May 2013
Poor Chiyo. Glad to see that everyone laughing and having fun at the end.
Jun 13, 2014 10:11 AM

Nov 2007
Even though it was happy ending i still feel kinda...melancholic or something...
Beautiful episode.
Jun 13, 2014 10:11 AM
Jan 2014
The valley with all those rice paddies, surrounded by the snow looked amazing.
Houichi has very welcoming family. Such a shame that his mother had to pass away.
I'm glad that his father told him the truth, though he was influenced to do so by Ginko.
Taking the mushi purge was the best thing he could do to repay his mother in my opinion, much better than sacrificing his entire life.

Black_wind said:
Even though it was happy ending i still feel kinda...melancholic or something...
Beautiful episode.

I know how you feel :P
Jun 13, 2014 11:06 AM

Jun 2013
A recurring theme in this season of mushishi seems to be the relationship between the mushi and mankind. It is really interesting to see how the mushi interacts with people because depending on the person, the mushi is interpreted as a power, a curse, an omen, or even a blessing. If the first season emphasized more on the detachment between mushi and mankind (because mankind naturally fears the unknown and the uncertain), this season helps us see what becomes of mushi and mankind coexisting with one another. Looking forward to see what the next season's theme will be :)

tl;dr great episode showing yet another interaction between mushi and mankind
Jun 13, 2014 11:11 AM

Sep 2012
Now there's the kind of bittersweet ending that I'd come to love in the original series. It's not an easy decision that Houichi had to make. I don't care to think what would have happened to his family if Ginko hadn't forced him to make it, though.

One other thing: When Houichi first took Ginko into the valley, the first thing that came into my mind was, "Oh my God, he's been transported into Minecraft!"
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Jun 13, 2014 11:42 AM
Mar 2013
Poor Chiyo, I wonder if she even realized that her blood was being transformed into milk. It must have been terrifying for her to know that she was bleeding/crying milk instead of blood/water. It was a shame that her husband could not locate a good Mushi-shi. They probably could've saved her.

I am a bit confused by the ending. Going by his choice of words I believe Houichi did not take the mushi purge. If that is the case then it is truly unfortunate because that is not what his mother would have wanted.

It may even be the reason why Chiyo chose to hide it from him in the first place. Perhaps she knew, with her mother's intuition, that Houchi would chose to die through the same force that killed her.
Jun 13, 2014 11:43 AM

Jun 2013
That mushi was actually pretty cool. The animation for this episode was nice.
Jun 13, 2014 12:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This episode reminded me of the hunter episode, how both character of the week believed what they had due to the mushi was a "power." Neither of them were willing to give up on it either. It was kind of frustrating to watch the grandfather and Houichi being in denial at first, but it also made sense. Houichi especially wanted to believe that the rice field was all due to his hard work and nothing else, although in fact it was with the help of the mushi encouraging the plants to grow. I'm not sure if it was ever said if working to exhaustion meant death or some serious harm to the person, but if it did, I can see why Ginko tried to tell Houichi. If Houichi were gone, then it would do more harm to his family since they would need him there. But if that wasn't the case, then it also makes sense why Ginko told Houichi that if he ever felt like taking the mushi purge in the future, the grandfather has it, meaning Houichi still has time.
Jun 13, 2014 12:04 PM

Jan 2014
Nice Episode. Standard Mushi-shi episode. Glad everything worked out for the family
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2014 12:04 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Mushi Trivia

Chiyo must've gone through a severe ordeal, being able to provide for her child but later discovering that her blood and water inside her body has turned into milk.
She also might've realized that was due to an unknown factor and wasn't her own capability.

Houchi probably didn't take the mushi purge as he chose to live with the mushi that killed his own mother.
Perhaps, he wanted to continue support his family and also exhaust/die from it at one point, if possible to atone for his mother's unsettling death.

Great episode and a very thought provoking one. The valley of the rice paddies looked really nice though.

Jun 13, 2014 12:06 PM

Sep 2013
beautiful episode it's make me sad when the mother die for her beloved son
Jun 13, 2014 1:10 PM
Mar 2012
Such a tearjerker, Chiyo dies for her son and in turn he uses the power that killed his mother to cultivate the plants.
Jun 13, 2014 1:21 PM

Sep 2008
The sacrifices parents make for their children. First, Chiyo for her son, and then the sacrifice the son makes for his children. It is not a 'choice', but a responsibility, something that has to be done.

I believe that Houichi did take the purge eventually, that explains how some years later the valley was engulfed in snow, and he was being helped by his whole family.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 13, 2014 1:27 PM

Oct 2013
Do mushi have any other purpose other than fucking with people?
Jun 13, 2014 2:44 PM

Aug 2010
Another beautiful ep :*) What else can be said ^^;

I really find it weird how come people know about Mushishi but never really search for them when something doctors can't explain happen.
Jun 13, 2014 3:52 PM

Dec 2013
Qatami said:
Do mushi have any other purpose other than fucking with people?

I think Ginko said last season that Mushis do not come neither in favor nor disfavor of men, they only follow their own path, more like a phenomenon of nature.

About the episode I found interesting the interaction between the mushi and Houichi and his decision to continue to use the power it offers. Although in the end it is clear that he take the purge.
Jun 13, 2014 5:20 PM

Oct 2013
Such a wonderful episode. Makes you feel nice and calm and reminds you why you like to watch Mushishi :)
Jun 13, 2014 5:37 PM

Aug 2013
That was a good ending. I think in the end, Houichi took the mushi purge. The power of the mushi is probably tied to the body's condition. Notice when he slipped and was unconscious, it started to snow. At the end, we saw him healthy and upright but it was snowing.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 13, 2014 6:44 PM

Feb 2012
am i the only one who said dayum!! how many time did he get his wife pregnant?

But those shitty grants though not giving the family milk when they needed it
Jun 13, 2014 7:46 PM

Dec 2012
great episode as always... it was really nice to see a happy ending. ^^

it's impressive how parents can sacrifice their life and efforts for their children's happiness... and i love how Mushishi portrays these issues.
Jun 13, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
amazing! I am very sad this is only getting 12 episodes.
Jun 13, 2014 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
They showed us a more vulnerable Ginko who was saved by a stranger for once, and I admit that it was a nice change of pace.

This mushi was really scary, as soon as I saw the milk as blood after she get hurt, I was immediately frightened because I didn't really expect it.
Jun 14, 2014 2:01 AM

Jul 2013
The milk blood was really creepy... that is one dangerous mushi.

I'm surprised the guy didn't die.
Jun 14, 2014 3:31 AM

Jan 2013
...but the valley still echoes with laughter and joy.

man I love this show
Jun 14, 2014 5:29 AM

Aug 2012
It seems all my favorite episodes of this season are multiple of threes. Beneath the Snow is still probably my favorite but this may just top Floral Delusions . . . though it's really close. Really looking forward to 12 now.

I don't even know what exactly to say, it was perfect? That's about all I got, there really isn't another way to capture this. Every aspect of this episode was top notch, I loved every second of it.
Jun 14, 2014 5:37 AM

Feb 2013
Oh my GOD! Next week's episode is my favourite chapter from the manga. Can't believe this is actually happening, I've been waiting so long for this. *dancing madly around the room*

TheSusurrousJun 14, 2014 5:43 AM
Jun 14, 2014 7:10 AM
Jul 2018
Just...perfect. Probably even the best episode of this season.
Truly great metaphore for cycle of life and death.
Jun 14, 2014 8:14 AM

Oct 2013
man such a sweet and sour ep.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 14, 2014 8:22 AM

Oct 2012
I thought it would turn into a bad ending when the Dad told him...
Jun 14, 2014 3:24 PM

Apr 2013
Another messed up mushi. Having a child drink its mother's life force is really dark
Jun 14, 2014 3:37 PM

Apr 2013
Woooooo. Thank god that the father/son survived and eventually took the purge/cure in time especially after what happened to his mother. When I saw that winter had covered the valley in the end, I feared for the worst as Mushishi can have those sad endings.
Jun 14, 2014 4:45 PM
Nov 2013
I know it's obvious, but was the pond they found full of breast milk? I'm just curious.
Good bittersweet episode, can't wait for the next one.
Jun 14, 2014 4:51 PM

Apr 2013
countfuckula said:
I know it's obvious, but was the pond they found full of breast milk? I'm just curious.
Good bittersweet episode, can't wait for the next one.

Yes. Since it was milk, all mammalian infants would be suitable hosts for the Chishio.
Jun 14, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2010
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-14/last-episode-of-mushishi-the-next-chapter-1st-half-airs-on-june-20/.75583
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Jun 15, 2014 3:13 AM

Oct 2013
I think he took the purge.
Jun 15, 2014 5:04 AM

Dec 2012
He probably took the purge. The idea that he dishonored his mothers wishes "I want him to stay happy, without knowing the truth". He pretty much dishonors her wishes by taking the purge, else he would have chosen to disregard what he heard and continue living with the mushi. Also, the milk turning into blood implies that he eventually became normal. Finally, it also makes sense since the valley was eventually covered in snow.
Jun 15, 2014 6:54 AM
Aug 2011
I also think that he eventually took the purge. While he has considered the powers of the mushi as a blessing that brings prosperity to the valley and provides him with the ability to sustain and provide for his family, it also comes at the cost of his mother's life. When I saw his wife and the baby, I was worried that the mushi might swap him out as host with the baby which would then mirror and repeat his mother's tragedy.

Most of the rice paddies are covered with snow in the last scene. He is shown working together with his family rather than using the mushi's powers to produce enough crops to survive. While the harvest is comparatively smaller, it does not come at the cost of other people's lives.

Btw this episode reminds me of one particular episode of the first season that
ZinnoberflammeJun 15, 2014 7:00 AM
Jun 15, 2014 6:30 PM
Apr 2010
The irony is strong with this one. Milk which symbolizes nourishment and life kills the one which originally brought the life of that individual. I LOVE THIS ANIME SERIES!
Jun 15, 2014 10:54 PM

Nov 2011
It was sad to see the passing of his mother and yet so touching to see in her final moments she left with a smile knowing Houchi could live a good life without worry. It was good to see the father open up about her and give a warm smile knowing that even though he may have lost his wife, he still had his family and got to see Houchi grow into the great father he is.

Then once again, Mushishi, presents an ending that just gave me a chill at the end. Beautiful scenery, the family is all-together enjoying themselves and then Ginko finishes off the episode by saying, "But the valley still echoes with laughter and joy."

Just a fantastic episode.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 16, 2014 5:22 AM

Nov 2010
Beautiful story again with some bitter sweetness about his Mother Chiyo
That Milk-Tide mushi was such a scary parasite burning out the host

One more episode to go sadly...
Jun 16, 2014 9:12 AM

Jan 2013
Very engaging episode. I really wanted to find out what the mystery was.
Great atmosphere as always
Jun 16, 2014 10:54 AM

Sep 2013
Ah this ep was so wonderful and it evoked so much emotion. I really love the mother/nature parallelisms. But I also think it was strangely perfect placing this ep after the wind raiser one.

Ah I'm going to be sad when this season ends next week. I feel a hole emerging in my heart already. But I'm glad we're going to get more mushishi goodness later in the year.
Jun 16, 2014 11:25 AM

Aug 2013
One of the best episodes I've seen so far but I think I'll stay away from cereal for a couple days.
Jun 16, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2007
Dead Anime Mom Hair takes another victim...

But really, the symbolism was great. I rather like it when Mushishi does such straightforward comparisons like that, since it does it so well.
Jun 18, 2014 6:01 PM

Oct 2008
RevInity said:
One of the best episodes I've seen so far but I think I'll stay away from cereal for a couple days.

hahahaha excellent
Jun 19, 2014 2:55 AM

Oct 2013
Ah, the animation quality was top-notch. The rice paddies and the surrounding fields were beautifully drawn.

Houichi and his family were very welcoming family. Glad that he helped a stranger like Ginko and welcomed him with his own hands. Ginko himself looked happy while showing concern towards Houichi and others.

Houichi's decision to continue living with the mushi's power which killed his own mother so as to support his family was really something nice to see, indeed he became a good father just like his father said.

Chiyo's death was a tearjerker, blood replaced as a milk, that kind of death is sad in itself. The innocent Houichi at that time could only drink that milk which in fact were Chiyo's tears. Damn. :(

Nice episode overall, Chiyo's death and Houichi's determination were good to see.
Jun 21, 2014 2:11 AM

Jul 2008
Bittersweet because eventually he is going to die from this, but he has all the facts now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2014

125 by I-yas-yes »»
Mar 23, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2014

157 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 15, 5:28 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2014

175 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 2, 1:25 PM

» Is it just me?

Jundal - Dec 29, 2023

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Jan 9, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2014

116 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.