Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The snakes keep protecting the dead dude... creepy and disgusting o.o
Oct 9, 2010 6:35 AM

Nov 2008
I can see many resemblances with Naruto in this anime. Obviously, Naruto was published later.
Aug 21, 2011 4:15 PM

Mar 2009
This was definitely my favorite part of the exam. Intense moments, and excellent development for Gon.
Aug 21, 2011 4:15 PM

Jul 2010
KenShiRo-Sama said:
I can see many resemblances with Naruto in this anime. Obviously, Naruto was published later.

the seyiuu for Gon IS naruto, lol
finally that test is over.

Aug 23, 2011 4:06 PM

Jul 2009
Nice ending to this part of the exam. Written exam next should be interesting (the more I watch this the more it's obvious Naruto steals from it)
Oct 25, 2011 3:36 PM

Sep 2008
That was a pretty cool ending for this part of the exam... I hope Tonpa is gone now. That girl took his plates so that she could pass instead, right? I sure hope so...

I can't believe I didn't notice before that Gon didn't bring his plates with him. DX I am bliiind....
Dec 18, 2011 11:02 AM

Dec 2011
Feeling: Tension, Determination

The first half part was really repetitive and a bit tedious, but it gave a tense environment, reafirming how impossible it was to leave the cave
I was amazed by Gon's determination i mean he was completely covered with snakes!!!
In the first part, i thought of the sleeping gas to be the only choice, but never figured Gon had a new skill: Holding his breath xD
Also i really liked the final scene when Gon is back with the bunnies all around :D

Overall: Enjoyable, really good but a little repetitive
Jan 9, 2012 10:34 AM

Apr 2009
Pacing is incredibly slow, but good none-the-less.
Jan 30, 2012 5:14 PM

Dec 2009
A couple of things in this episode bothered me

1. Why did gon stand around thinking about Mito and the others when he said himself he could only hold his breathe for a certain amount of time.

2.Why did Gon take the plate from Barbon, I'm pretty sure she would of let him used the gas without giving her a plate if let them escape

3. Did she seriously not think of using the sleeping gas she had used earlier -.- I'm pretty sure she could of held her breathe and got out perfectly fine,it didn't seem to take 10 mins to get out of that cave, especially since Gon and Kurapika got to them from the entrance after running for like a minute.

Overall though it was a good episode and I hope Tompa is officially gone now.
Jul 29, 2012 2:38 AM

Feb 2009
This episode failed to pick my interest in the first half, but the last minutes were pretty good.BYE BYE Tonpa :P
Mar 7, 2013 4:26 AM

Jan 2012
That was a really tricky situation. Glad everyone's okay.

Jul 17, 2016 10:50 PM

Sep 2013
No more Tonpa...HAH! Serves him right!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 11, 2017 3:25 PM

Feb 2015
Ponzu ftw! So tsundere at one point.
Jun 3, 2017 1:28 PM

May 2012
Pretty decent post, looking forward to see what's next!
Nov 4, 2017 10:17 AM

Mar 2016
If the snakes were cobras or some other venomous snakes. They're F U C K E D...

Tonpa just got one-punched by Ponzu XD Hopefully, he'll never mess with Gon and the others again because he failed at this stage.
ShadowkillZNov 4, 2017 10:20 AM
Oct 26, 2018 4:07 PM

Apr 2013
Finally Tonpa is gone, I hope he never appears again. Also Leorio just snatched the badge from that chick while she was sleeping, how cheap!
Feb 17, 2019 4:31 PM
Aug 2018
Ridiculous. One episode ago he was sulking and determined to give up because he "couldn't do anything without help since the very beginning" (which was BS anyways since he did plenty on his own and helped his teammates a few times) and now he suddenly changed his mind again because he wants to continue the journey with his friends.

Oh dear. That was lame. And I had hope that the girl would get to the next round.
Sep 7, 2019 10:30 AM

Jan 2014
I think Gon coming out of his depression was pretty realistic. It's not unusual for people who are adept to doubt their worth after a single failure. All they need is a reminder of how capable they are to rekindle their confidence. Gon was reaffirmed by his friends who unconditionally put their trust in him. One positive thought led to another and he was on his way again!
Feb 1, 2020 9:14 AM
Apr 2016
I love Gon's personality so much, he's just awesome! The fourth exam is over... finally.
Aug 18, 2020 9:11 PM

Feb 2015
It looks like Gon went into a super helper mode and convinced him that he’s worth of that plaques. Getting out of there, Gon is a super special guy, with no formal training, Kurapika is even impressed. Leorio took the right decision of passing the test, at least he got this far.
Aug 2, 2023 7:02 AM
Sep 2020
Bikage said:
A couple of things in this episode bothered me

1. Why did gon stand around thinking about Mito and the others when he said himself he could only hold his breathe for a certain amount of time.

2.Why did Gon take the plate from Barbon, I'm pretty sure she would of let him used the gas without giving her a plate if let them escape

3. Did she seriously not think of using the sleeping gas she had used earlier -.- I'm pretty sure she could of held her breathe and got out perfectly fine,it didn't seem to take 10 mins to get out of that cave, especially since Gon and  Kurapika got to them from the entrance after running for like a minute.

Overall though it was a good episode and I hope Tompa is officially gone now.
I know this post is over a decade old, but 1 and 3 can be answered by saying that the sleeping gas needed five minutes to reach every part of the cave and knock out the snakes. Gon had five minutes to stand there and think about his aunt and all the people he's met during the exam. Ponzu didn't think to use the gas because most people can't hold their breath for over five minutes--let alone almost ten whole minutes like Gon can. As for 2, Gon has no reason to believe that Ponzu will hand over the sleeping gas; they just met. It's worth the extra effort to grab Bourbon's badge just in case Ponzu needs another incentive to let go of the gas.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Better Version of HXH?

PushedCaraway - Oct 26, 2022

24 by Ex-Aid »»
Apr 20, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 )

notestinet - Sep 13, 2008

55 by Kyurima »»
Apr 12, 5:40 AM

» Am I the only one who has a problem with...

removed-user - Dec 2, 2022

8 by Berry-Vodka »»
Feb 16, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 54 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

19 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter Episode 53 Discussion

supermegasonic - Aug 24, 2011

17 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 11, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.