Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 8, 2009 4:33 AM

Dec 2007
the beginning was probably the most boring part in the VN for me but i didn't find myself THAT bored.

I can't f**King wait for the rest of ep 2 to get off. There's so much meat in this one and the end almost contests with the end of ep3 for me. All the clues drooped in this arc will really start getting people thinking. Though to be honest, I truly didn't start thinking about the possible "culprit" until ep 3.

Justicar said:
Just WTF.. Dropped

I can't wait for season one to finish airing so Umineko will shoot up on the MAL rankings. Then all the people who dropped it at the beginning will be asking themselves "wtf just happened".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2009 7:06 AM

May 2008
Beatrice's cackle is just awesome!! XD
Aug 8, 2009 12:36 PM

Sep 2007
usasoldiern said:
Having no Battler made this episode feel weird. Also, does Kanon literally mean that he and Shannon are "furniture" or does he mean it as a metaphor?

Good ep, this series is on a role

Well, you'll find out soon anyway, but

Ketuekigami said:

Justicar said:
Just WTF.. Dropped

I can't wait for season one to finish airing so Umineko will shoot up on the MAL rankings. Then all the people who dropped it at the beginning will be asking themselves "wtf just happened".

Meh, it might make a small jump in the ratings but I rather doubt it will majorly jump up. The anime has really failed to adapt the atmosphere, feel, and characters of Umineko entirely. They've kept the plot completely intact but that's only half of it.

Umineko has a good plot with good characters. The anime, however, has utterly failed in the character department, losing half of what Umineko is, making it just "good".

Koren said:
Beatrice's cackle is just awesome!! XD

Amen brother. Amen.
DrZedAug 8, 2009 12:44 PM
Aug 8, 2009 2:51 PM

Nov 2008
Zedrane said:

But...

Aug 8, 2009 2:54 PM

Jul 2008
Kirche said:
Zedrane said:

But...

Aug 8, 2009 3:06 PM

Nov 2008
GarLogan78 said:

Aug 8, 2009 3:15 PM

Jun 2009
Kirche said:
GarLogan78 said:

I didn't like this episode too much...
Only some litlle info about the chars.
Aug 8, 2009 3:42 PM
Aug 2009
Zedrane said:
Meh, it might make a small jump in the ratings but I rather doubt it will majorly jump up. The anime has really failed to adapt the atmosphere, feel, and characters of Umineko entirely. They've kept the plot completely intact but that's only half of it.

Umineko has a good plot with good characters. The anime, however, has utterly failed in the character department, losing half of what Umineko is, making it just "good".
It's bit early to say that when we only have 6 episodes around. The atmosphere was good in I-III, bad again in I-IV, and very good in I-V and I-VI. DEEN finally grasped the feel the last weeks and the characters begin to develop in Turn of the Golden Witch, as Legend was purely introduction, and this episode give us a good feeling about it.

Of course that the anime will be inferior, it's a adaptation, but I think that DEEN finally understood how to make a very good job.
Aug 8, 2009 4:49 PM

Apr 2009
Normally i go there to say the opinions of the episode,BUT its MANY tags of spoilers,so i can't know what the people say here Z__Z'
Aug 8, 2009 7:04 PM

Sep 2007
shugosha said:
Zedrane said:

It's bit early to say that when we only have 6 episodes around. The atmosphere was good in I-III, bad again in I-IV, and very good in I-V and I-VI. DEEN finally grasped the feel the last weeks and the characters begin to develop in Turn of the Golden Witch, as Legend was purely introduction, and this episode give us a good feeling about it.

Of course that the anime will be inferior, it's a adaptation, but I think that DEEN finally understood how to make a very good job.

Meh. I didn't think I-III was good, I-IV and I-VI were ok, I-V was good though.

I'll wait for my final judgment until it finishes but at this point I am not impressed. Overall it's been very mediocre so far as an adaption.
Aug 8, 2009 7:06 PM

Sep 2007
shugosha said:
Zedrane said:

Don't forget that there's only so much you can do with the time restrictions and DEEN's low budgets. It took them quite a while to get the characters right in Higurashi, but they pulled it off in the end. I think the anime version of Umineko will turn into something much better in the coming weeks. :)
Aug 8, 2009 7:19 PM

Sep 2007
Foggle said:
shugosha said:
Zedrane said:

Don't forget that there's only so much you can do with the time restrictions and DEEN's low budgets. It took them quite a while to get the characters right in Higurashi, but they pulled it off in the end. I think the anime version of Umineko will turn into something much better in the coming weeks. :)

Ah yes. Have hope my friend. It's good to have hope. *cries manly tears*
Aug 8, 2009 7:23 PM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:
Foggle said:
shugosha said:
Zedrane said:

Ah yes. Have hope my friend. It's good to have hope. *cries manly tears*

Speaking of which, Kaiji is long overdue for a sequel. :O
Aug 8, 2009 9:56 PM

Jul 2009
Nice Episode
Aug 8, 2009 10:30 PM

Jun 2007
Zedrane said:

It'll make a big jump because most people don't rate a series until they've finished it. And the anime has done an okay job with the characters. You really need to stop letting future events influence how you feel about them. Take Battler for example. At this point of time, even in the visual novel, he hasn't done anything yet. All talk and no action. This changes later on and how you feel about Battler is affected by that. You might be thinking oh Battler is so badass and the anime is ruining him! When that's not the case. He simply hasn't done anything badass yet.

The atmosphere I can agree with, at least for Legend. What made Legend good was the atmosphere. The anime didn't have much of one and as a result, it wasn't that good. BUT... Legend is the least important arc out of the 4. The more episodes you give EP1, the less the others can have. In the long run it was a good decision to somewhat rush it, so they have more episodes for the more important games.
Aug 8, 2009 11:11 PM

Jun 2008
I really liked this ep, it gave some back story for the "lovers" hehe
Shannon and George was I feel bad kinda saying this but was boring.. I enjoyed Jessica and Kanon much more, and when Kanon said all that stuff at the end my heart went out to Jessica, I can only imagine her heart being torn apart.

I also think there is something to this "furniture" "not human" thing..

Can't wait for more episodes!!!
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Aug 8, 2009 11:19 PM

Aug 2008
... Touhou? :D:D and Kanon has quite the unusual.. casual dress

Aug 8, 2009 11:34 PM

Jun 2008
windy said:

That's not how I feel about it at all. By the second episode, I was already interested in Jessica, Kanon, and Shannon, and very engrossed in this part of the episode as a result. I got very attached to Jessica and Kanon after the school festival/garden scenes, which of course makes Umineko itself more emotionally wrenching. The length helped make me care, because it gave such an intimate look at their feelings.

I agree I think the back story is very important, being just an anime watcher myself I really didn't understand about their relationship, if there was any until I came on here and people were posting about it. Then I started looking forward to getting more information, because if you went by the first few episodes I would think the relationship between Kanon/Jessica was non existing. I'm also a fan of romance anime's :) so this kinda added something to the anime for me. I'm actually looking forward more to the next episodes because of the relationship possibilities between Kanon/Jess and George/Shannon :) Also having a love story then turned into death is like you said gut wrenching.

The general feeling seems to be that Kanon is some whiny girl (yes, girl) who thinks everything is a bother and only wants to hurt Jessica, when that's not it at all, and was obvious from the beginning that's not how it was. DEEN is confusing people about the characters' true identity and feelings because they're cutting so much out...

girl... what? you mean how it appears in the anime he's a "girl", I mean he's really a he right? wow I'm confused lol It is late too so maybe my mind just isn't reading this right lol

Nyanta said:
... Touhou? :D:D and Kanon has quite the unusual.. casual dress

LOL I didn't even think about his casual wear until you mentioned it, but yes I went back to re-watch and oh my.. I'm a Kanon fan so I think it made him look good *drool*
SigynAug 8, 2009 11:38 PM
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Aug 8, 2009 11:50 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
Zedrane said:

It'll make a big jump because most people don't rate a series until they've finished it. And the anime has done an okay job with the characters. You really need to stop letting future events influence how you feel about them. Take Battler for example. At this point of time, even in the visual novel, he hasn't done anything yet. All talk and no action. This changes later on and how you feel about Battler is affected by that. You might be thinking oh Battler is so badass and the anime is ruining him! When that's not the case. He simply hasn't done anything badass yet.

The atmosphere I can agree with, at least for Legend. What made Legend good was the atmosphere. The anime didn't have much of one and as a result, it wasn't that good. BUT... Legend is the least important arc out of the 4. The more episodes you give EP1, the less the others can have. In the long run it was a good decision to somewhat rush it, so they have more episodes for the more important games.

Actually I'd call Turn the least important arc, for various reasons. But anways, I will admit that the last two episodes have been as good as I ever thought DEEN would do. But the first four episodes were really terribad. I guess I'll stop complaining if DEEN at least keeps this up for the rest of the season. Oh well.

P.S. The anime IS ruining him. :P j/k
Aug 8, 2009 11:54 PM

Sep 2007
I wouldn't call the first four episodes terribad. I've read the first 2 and a half VNs, and I still really enjoyed them. My friends who haven't read the novels are also enjoying the anime, so I think DEEN pulled it off with at least a little success. ;D
Aug 9, 2009 12:07 AM

Aug 2008
I actually think they're laughably bad. Not as an adaptation. As a stand alone narrative. The focus is all over the place, with emphasis on boobs and Higurashi-face first; murder second; and gold butterflies third. Characters had little (if anything) to do with the first episode.
Aug 9, 2009 12:14 AM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
I actually think they're laughably bad. Not as an adaptation. As a stand alone narrative. The focus is all over the place, with emphasis on boobs and Higurashi-face first; murder second; and gold butterflies third. Characters had little (if anything) to do with the first episode.

Then read the VN. It's better.

I still hold out hope for DEEN to come through and deliver the goods later on.
Aug 9, 2009 12:31 AM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:

They are much worse as an adaption, trust me. I mean... laughably bad would be somewhat of a compliment. I have no idea why they added the Higurashi faces and the mass boobage. Neither of those are in the VNs and neither of them add anything to the show. In fact they hurt it.

Overall the first arc only gets a 5.5 from me, as an adaption. But I'll be generous and give it a 7 as a stand alone work. As in the anime the characters weren't the main part of the first game either. It was more about the atmosphere and suspense. But the anime happened to have none of these either. So it essentially had nothing.

To put it simply, I'm not willing to grovel up whatever DEEN shits out. When they start doing episodes well, like the last two, I'll say so. When they shove garbage in my face and tell me to like it, I'll respectfully decline.
DrZedAug 9, 2009 1:15 AM
Aug 9, 2009 1:35 AM

Nov 2006
Sigyn said:

The general feeling seems to be that Kanon is some whiny girl (yes, girl) who thinks everything is a bother and only wants to hurt Jessica, when that's not it at all, and was obvious from the beginning that's not how it was. DEEN is confusing people about the characters' true identity and feelings because they're cutting so much out...

girl... what? you mean how it appears in the anime he's a "girl", I mean he's really a he right? wow I'm confused lol It is late too so maybe my mind just isn't reading this right lol
yes he is indeed a guy! i've just heard so many people say, "what? you mean that's NOT a GIRL!?!" that it's gotten on my nerves. ;p

Zedrane said:
To put it simply, I'm not willing to grovel up whatever DEEN shits out. When they start doing episodes well, like the last two, I'll say so. When they shove garbage in my face and tell me to like it, I'll respectfully decline.
Preach it!
Aug 9, 2009 6:56 AM

Sep 2007
Geez. Ryukishi07 needs to lay off that laugh.sfx. He uses it way to much in the Turn of the Golden Witch. I swear he uses it at least 250 times. -_-
Aug 9, 2009 8:57 AM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:
Geez. Ryukishi07 needs to lay off that laugh.sfx. He uses it way to much in the Turn of the Golden Witch. I swear he uses it at least 250 times. -_-

I hope they double the usages in the anime. For the lulz, of course.
Aug 9, 2009 3:55 PM

Nov 2006
Zedrane said:
I HATE THAT LAUGH SO MUCH OHHHH MY GOD>......
Aug 9, 2009 4:10 PM

Oct 2007
More Beatrice awesomeness and hotness... Me likey ^_^

Also didn't notice until now that Shannon is voiced by KugiRie... She's everywhere.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Aug 9, 2009 4:16 PM

Jun 2008
windy said:
Zedrane said:

I thought the laugh was awesome though it was definitely overused. I still hope they use it in the last episode of the anime.
Aug 9, 2009 4:18 PM

Aug 2007
windy said:
Zedrane said:

The laugh made me lol the first time. It just kinda creeps me out now after Turn. :|
Aug 9, 2009 4:36 PM

Nov 2007
The old generation dudes are all jerks. Just let them do their lovey-dovey things.
Aug 9, 2009 4:58 PM

Sep 2007
Renza said:
windy said:
Zedrane said:

The laugh made me lol the first time. It just kinda creeps me out now after Turn. :|

I love the laugh. :D It's creepy and fits perfectly. But, like Hirahira said, it is way overused in Turn of the Golden Witch. It's fine in allthe other games though.
Aug 9, 2009 6:44 PM

May 2009
Good Episode. This anime is nice.
Touhou crossover was just great xD

Kanon is emo. . . though still good looking.

Jess has just gained +5 Respect points for her beating up those girls with knuckles XD Not to mention she was really funny almost the whole episode.

I think I am kinda starting to understand it a little more.

Beatrice though confuses me to no end. Gotta love that laugh though. I see from the preview it looks like she will be wearing one of her other costumes I have seen fan art of her in.
Aug 9, 2009 11:47 PM

Dec 2007
Everytime i go on an Umineko discussion forum... a little piece of me dies....
Aug 10, 2009 3:28 AM

Jun 2006
Tekky99 said:

Same though...I can't resist clicking on them...
Aug 10, 2009 4:48 AM
Apr 2009
Zedrane said:
usasoldiern said:
Having no Battler made this episode feel weird. Also, does Kanon literally mean that he and Shannon are "furniture" or does he mean it as a metaphor?

Good ep, this series is on a role

That depends if you give in to the witch.

Aug 10, 2009 5:17 AM

Jun 2008
This was shit. Really. The anime is rushed. For those of you who love the anime. Please play the novel. It's awesom-er. And George is cooler.
Aug 10, 2009 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
nice episode, a very funny scene was where Jessica takes the brass nuckles and tells Kanon to wait a bit XD
Aug 10, 2009 5:48 AM
Dec 2008
kanon is so cold. >.<

beatrice's laugh is awesome. xD

" it is better to be poor but honest than to be a lying fool. "
Aug 10, 2009 6:25 AM

Jul 2009
Darkii said:
This was shit. Really. The anime is rushed. For those of you who love the anime. Please play the novel. It's awesom-er. And George is cooler.

I don't think so. For this episode, I prefer the anime than the game.
This part in the game is too looooooooooooooooog.
Aug 10, 2009 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
lol touhou, but Shannon was really cute.
Aug 10, 2009 10:56 PM

Sep 2007
Katsuki said:
Tekky99 said:

Same though...I can't resist clicking on them...

I'm hearin' ya' both loud and clear.
Aug 11, 2009 2:10 AM

May 2008
MMmmm romance...
i wonder if battler has a romance side in this series.
Aug 11, 2009 3:13 AM

Nov 2008
Fabrice said:
MMmmm romance...

I wouldn't say there isn't but... it's a bit strange, it's not really romance either, it's really awkward
Aug 11, 2009 3:34 AM

Sep 2007
lotusres said:
Fabrice said:
MMmmm romance...

I wouldn't say there isn't but... it's a bit strange, it's not really romance either, it's really awkward

Aug 11, 2009 7:58 AM

Jun 2008
4saken_762 said:
Darkii said:

Even if it was longer it was still more awesomer.
Aug 11, 2009 10:47 PM

Jul 2009
Darkii said:
4saken_762 said:
Darkii said:

Even if it was longer it was still more awesomer.

No, too long will make it become more boring than it actually is. And I don't know what the anime watchers will think if this part is dragged into two episodes.
Aug 12, 2009 4:58 AM

Apr 2009
It was fine...
Though Kanon is kinda annoying with the "furniture" thing....Oo

Brass knuckles FTW xDD
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Aug 12, 2009 6:20 AM

Jun 2007
http://sarcasmpodcast.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=514433
Audio review of this episode on my podcast.
Check out my podcast here
Aug 12, 2009 7:40 AM

Oct 2008
Just when I thought Battler was more stubborn than the prime minister and that Kanon is so damn cool, I was actually mistaken. Kanon is just as stubborn!

I might drop this series, after all.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.