Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 5, 2009 10:20 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, everyone's back again, and things get kicked off with... love.

And guitar playing...

Haruhi no Naku Koro ni? All I'm thinking is that people need to go back to being dead again.

What about everyone else?
Aug 5, 2009 10:37 AM

Nov 2008
They changed Beatrice's portrait on the OP ^^

This episode was cute and gave us more insight on the characters, so it wasn't useless IMHO.
KircheAug 5, 2009 5:16 PM

Aug 5, 2009 10:42 AM

Jun 2007
This episode was paced pretty good. Which is good. They need to develop the characters since they skipped so much of that in the first arc.
Aug 5, 2009 10:43 AM

Jun 2008
They didn't use Tsurupettan ;________;
Aug 5, 2009 2:11 PM

Sep 2007
hirahira said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? *goes off to find a raw*
Aug 5, 2009 2:11 PM

Nov 2008
It was a good episode, a bit fast till Beatrice appears but i was good. Background for character development is important and Ryukishi always spends the first episodes with some character's past.

As for tsurupettan, that song is not DEEN's, so they had to pay for it and they decided to use another one
Aug 5, 2009 2:15 PM
May 2009
hirahira said:

NO!

NO!

*an hero*
Aug 5, 2009 2:15 PM

Jul 2008
I really liked this one. New portrait! And even if they didn't use Tsurupettan, they still had a music scene. That is good enough for me.

The amount of Beato in this episode was enjoyable.
Aug 5, 2009 2:29 PM

Sep 2007
I'm surprised that they actually used the entire episode for the backstory part and didn't get to the second game board. We might not be having a "Happy Halloween" until episode 8. hehehe

Anyway, good pace. They had plenty of time for the amount of material. Looks to be adapted about as well as the last episode but it's not as good cause this is a slightly boring part of the VN anyway.
DrZedAug 5, 2009 2:33 PM
Aug 5, 2009 2:40 PM

Jun 2008
I didn't think it was boring. I liked this part in the VN. Especially the Kanon/Jessica stuff (:

I thought the episode was fine but Beato's laugh is really irritating D:
Aug 5, 2009 2:48 PM

Sep 2007
hirahira said:
I didn't think it was boring. I liked this part in the VN. Especially the Kanon/Jessica stuff (:

I liked the George/Shannon part of the VN. But, hahahahaha, the Jessica/Kanon stuff is the worst part of any of the VNs in my opinion.

And what are you talking about? Beato's laugh is awesome.
Aug 5, 2009 2:54 PM

Nov 2008
Zedrane said:
hirahira said:

I liked the George/Shannon part of the VN. But, hahahahaha, the Jessica/Kanon stuff is the worst part of any of the VNs in my opinion.

Come on!! you-know-who past in the novel ep4 is the most boring thing ever
Aug 5, 2009 2:57 PM

Jun 2008
lotusres said:
Zedrane said:
hirahira said:

Yeah, I definitely won't complain when the anime cuts most of that stuff out (:
Aug 5, 2009 2:58 PM

Nov 2008
hirahira said:
lotusres said:
Zedrane said:
hirahira said:

It's not that I didn't like them, but it was a lot and it occupied half the novel, only one character history at a time
Aug 5, 2009 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
lotusres said:
hirahira said:
lotusres said:
Zedrane said:
hirahira said:

It's not that I didn't like them, but it was a lot and it occupied half the novel, only one character history at a time

I didn't think those parts were bad either but there was way too much of it.

I still think the most boring parts are

Aug 5, 2009 3:33 PM

Sep 2007
I'm only gonna say this:
*cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle**cackle*

Also:
Aug 5, 2009 3:33 PM

Nov 2008
hirahira said:
lotusres said:
hirahira said:
lotusres said:
Zedrane said:
hirahira said:

I didn't think those parts were bad either but there was way too much of it.

I still think the most boring parts are

I don't agree with you at that

I strongly think those scenes made up for the first half
Aug 5, 2009 3:48 PM
Feb 2009
Feka said:

Pretty good ep, I'm happy that they shown the backstory for the character development.
Aug 5, 2009 6:49 PM

Apr 2007
+1 point for DEEN for changing the OP portrait to the one used in Ep2.

Solid episode. Adaptation wise, I felt it was very good and the pacing wasn't as sporadic as it was in episode 1. Actually, I was actually expecting the pace to be faster.
Aug 5, 2009 8:14 PM

Jan 2009
Just wondering... is that another Touhou song, or just an original one?

Still weird... I don't think it was a money issue, since rumor is that DEEN's budget for Umineko is huge. And there is precedent in other series with more famous songs (like Hinagiku singing Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis in HnG), even if it is another studio. If anything, maybe Jessica's seiyuu couldn't sing Tsurupettan xD.
Aug 5, 2009 8:31 PM

Sep 2007
OmegaDenmad said:
Just wondering... is that another Touhou song, or just an original one?

Still weird... I don't think it was a money issue, since rumor is that DEEN's budget for Umineko is huge. And there is precedent in other series with more famous songs (like Hinagiku singing Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis in HnG), even if it is another studio. If anything, maybe Jessica's seiyuu couldn't sing Tsurupettan xD.

This is the animation DEEN gives us with a huge budget? I don't think they even did a quality check for episode 3.
Aug 5, 2009 8:33 PM

Jun 2007
We'll see how good their budget is in 2 or 3 episodes.
Aug 5, 2009 8:37 PM

Jan 2009
Yeah well... I haven't noticed any QUALITY, so I would say it's pretty good so far. Leagues above Higurashi, for instance. Some characters may seem offmodel at times (Maria has looked a little different at times, beyond the obvious "creepy" face), but that would be nitpicking.

Of course, it may seem rushed at times, and everyone knows most of the money goes to first, last, and important episodes; plus any notorious mistakes should be fixed on DVD.

Also don't know which are which, but pretty sure some of the episodes that have aired already were outsourced; specifically, at least one was animated by MadHouse.

But I digress... just compare this series to previous ones by the same studio, and you will notice it's pretty high on the list in terms of quality.
Aug 5, 2009 8:37 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
We'll see how good their budget is in 2 or 3 episodes.

Too true. Anyway, I detect a distinct lack of Battler's badassery in this episode. In fact, I detect a lack of Battler completely. :O

Oh, and for anyone that doesn't remember/know the first five episodes took place on the 4th and 5th of October 1986. Just so you can tell when the scenes in this episode took place in relation to the previous ones.

*edit* Is it just me or has the animation never quite been exactly the same for any two episodes? Little things keep changing.... Maybe I'm going insane.
DrZedAug 6, 2009 1:22 AM
Aug 5, 2009 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
No, that's certainly possible. Different directors or different studios handling the animation account for that.

It's easy to notice, for example, when the characters chins are pointy (which I assume by default is DEEN's trademark lol) and when they are more rounded.
Aug 5, 2009 9:55 PM

Oct 2008
No one is mentioning this?

Loved the Touhou Project shout-outs, I know its in the original VN but still loved the addition of Reimu and Sakuya, truly made my day
Aug 5, 2009 10:40 PM

Jan 2009
BTW, going back to the quality/QUALITY... I totally missed this and it was brought to my attention:

Well, these are the things I meant by "any notorious mistakes should be fixed on DVD" lol.
Aug 5, 2009 10:52 PM

Jun 2007
Are you implying that Genji DOESN'T have a cloaking device?
Aug 5, 2009 10:53 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
Are you implying that Genji DOESN'T have a cloaking device?

Yeah, that was supposed to be there. It's foreshadowing for the shocking revelation that Genji is a witch.
Aug 5, 2009 10:58 PM

Jan 2009
There goes DEEN spoiling the real plot, just like the manga did...
Aug 5, 2009 11:42 PM

Jun 2007
The cackle was great.

My favorite part of the episode.
Aug 5, 2009 11:45 PM

Jan 2009
Preview for 7 is up on both the site and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-iGta1hUU

Rosa shows us how it's done.
Aug 6, 2009 12:11 AM

Sep 2007
FFFFFFFFF GEORGE IS WEARING A TOMITAKE FLASH SHIRT

AUTOMATIC 5 OUT OF 5
Aug 6, 2009 12:16 AM

Sep 2007
Touhou in my Umineko? lolzwut
Aug 6, 2009 12:23 AM

Nov 2006
The anime is a disgrace.

My heart cried for how much better this could have been done...;_;

OmegaDenmad said:
Yeah well... I haven't noticed any QUALITY
Spoiler for image

windyAug 6, 2009 12:28 AM
Aug 6, 2009 12:26 AM

Sep 2007
Watched it subbed finally. Meh, not bad. Better pacing and definitely an atmosphere/characterization improvement over the first arc.

Episode II - I 7.5/10 (much better than most of the first arcs fours and fives, but it could be better)
Hope it keeps this up. a few more episode in the 8 - 10 range and I might raise this thing to 7/10....

windy said:
The anime is a disgrace.

My heart cried for how much better this could have been done...;_;

Yeah. But at least it's improved over the first arc. XD
DrZedAug 6, 2009 1:24 AM
Aug 6, 2009 12:26 AM

Oct 2008
OmegaDenmad said:
Preview for 7 is up on both the site and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-iGta1hUU

Rosa shows us how it's done.

ooo nice, looks like im gonna see alot of u~u~u~~ next episode :)
じーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーっ
Aug 6, 2009 12:28 AM
May 2009
Lack of Tsurupettan T_T
Aug 6, 2009 12:33 AM

Sep 2007
Anyway, great episode. Lack of Battler made me sad, but it was otherwise excellent.
Aug 6, 2009 12:43 AM

Sep 2007
I was just thinking how everyone is going to think Kanon is even more super emo now.... Well, he is buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut not really... kinda.

*cough*whenhesayshe'snothumanlistentohim*cough*
DrZedAug 6, 2009 12:52 AM
Aug 6, 2009 1:05 AM

Dec 2006
I just wanna hear Beato laugh as the pathetic humans try to struggle through their impossible battle MUHAHAHA.
And yay for Maria getting more beating from the mother of the year !

It was a nice touch with changing the portrait in the OP.

Aug 6, 2009 1:10 AM

Jul 2008
haha the touhou thing cracked me up. xD
but a little hard to understand if they jump from arc to arc. but since higurashi was also pretty confusing in the first season its ok.

Aug 6, 2009 1:46 AM

Nov 2006
OmegaDenmad said:
BTW, going back to the quality/QUALITY... I totally missed this and it was brought to my attention:

Well, these are the things I meant by "any notorious mistakes should be fixed on DVD" lol.
Kanon is so fiiiiiiine in that cap. Sry Genji.

And I have Tsurupettan stuck in my head even though it didn't play in the ep...
Aug 6, 2009 1:48 AM

Nov 2007
Great episode, great pacing.

The couples were really cute, and it was awesome to see Beatrice again.

Sayaka Ohara's laugh was win.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Aug 6, 2009 2:39 AM

Apr 2009
This Ep was okay.
If it had Tsurupettan, I would have given it a 5/5.
The change of the portrait was good(but what will tehy do with the fourth arc...there isn't an real portrait...maybe an completely new Op or no fourth arc..that would be bad)

Looking forward to the next Eps(I hope the next one won't be ending with the first twilight, I really don't want only 5 Eps for my second favorite Arc ;_;)
Kyu-chanAug 6, 2009 2:42 AM

Aug 6, 2009 3:05 AM

Jun 2007
I'm thinking this arc will be 6 episodes.
Aug 6, 2009 3:06 AM
Dec 2007
Very good episode. I just played this part of the VN this week to see the differences between the two and I must say I prefer the anime, as expected, which is much better directed and focuses on the important parts of the story (discarding a lot of unneeded dialogs), while remaining more ambiguous and interesting than the VN. Condensing the story definitely allowed the scenarists (ryukishi07 should be supervising/writing some part of it too) to go to the essential and provide the best of Umineko.

I'm definitely not checking the rest of the VN until the end of the anime series (probably the whole of the 4 question arcs), but I'll probably play Chiru afterwards.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 6, 2009 3:10 AM

Jul 2009
the mystery from2nd part of last episode still continues, i am in total darkness as to what this show is trying to do....
Aug 6, 2009 3:44 AM

Jun 2008
Didn't like this episode much, it more felt like a stupid episode...
Aug 6, 2009 4:20 AM

Nov 2008
Can i post here new character designs?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.