Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2009 10:22 AM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That wasnt too bad, I have hope

Jul 1, 2009 10:44 AM

Apr 2007
From the screenshot, it looks pretty good. Sped through the beginning introductions, but that was to be expected. It dragged in the VN anyway.

Will wait for the raws and then sub.
Jul 1, 2009 10:52 AM

Jun 2007
OP looks and sounds amazing. Kind of spoiler~ish, considering that it has some scenes from the second arc.
Staring at the screenshots, Natsuhi looks so damn pretty. Kinzo also looks damn awesome.

Wonder how many more hours we'll have to wait for the raw. :(
Jul 1, 2009 11:18 AM
May 2009
I might have my hopes up a little too high, but does anyone have any news regarding who might be subbing this?
Jul 1, 2009 11:20 AM
Dec 2008
asdf1248 said:
I might have my hopes up a little too high, but does anyone have any news regarding who might be subbing this?

Coalguys.
Jul 1, 2009 11:27 AM

Nov 2007
asdf1248 said:
According to the fansub wiki, SEACATS, ainex, WinD

Also, BREAKER did a PV and SEACATS were created just for Umineko.

CoalGuys' poll "What to sub for Summer 09" has Umineko leading, but it hasn't been confirmed that they'll be subbing it.
amayadoriJul 1, 2009 11:32 AM

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jul 1, 2009 12:08 PM
Jul 1, 2009 12:30 PM
Feb 2009
confused_kitsune said:
OP looks and sounds amazing. Kind of spoiler~ish, considering that it has some scenes from the second arc.

That aren't spoilers if you are watching something you don't understand :) I've only read the first volume of the manga (though I'm dying to read the others as well, but I cannot find a RAW anywhere :( ) so I know ^^ Several things do not make sense now what is good in my opinion :)

It was an okay episode, I like everyone's voice (exept Maria - too Hanyuu-ish), but I hoped it would be slower paced, but if it's true that the series will be 13 episodes only, the pace is okay I guess. And the OP is seriously amazing!
Jul 1, 2009 12:43 PM

Jun 2009
Considering the censoring of bad words used by Eva, I don't have too high hopes for the death-scenes, but otherwise, loved this episode and looking forward to the rest!
Jul 1, 2009 12:45 PM

Jul 2008
Looks good so far :D
Jul 1, 2009 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
Lots of names, hard to remember them all. And Mariya's Uuu~ tends to be more annoying than any nipaa- had been :v

Tension is nicely high after just one episode. Uncommon OP and ED are fitting as well, I hope Umineko will fulfill the high expectations :)
Jul 1, 2009 12:54 PM

Jul 2007
Eva's words being censored makes me worry a little bit, but I'll try to have hope. >_>

This episode felt exteremly rushed, but I'm assuming it's only because I've played the sound novels. I'm really interested on hearing the opinions of those who haven't on the pacing of this episode.

Also, I think the whole world is let down that there is no Kinzo in the ending. :X The ending had some really nice animation, though.

Edit: Apparently TV Aichi's broadcast wasn't censored.
atlantizaJul 1, 2009 12:57 PM

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
Jul 1, 2009 12:56 PM

Jun 2007
justcallmeLuna said:
It was an okay episode, I like everyone's voice (exept Maria - too Hanyuu-ish), but I hoped it would be slower paced, but if it's true that the series will be 13 episodes only, the pace is okay I guess.

I don't think it will only be 13 episodes long, that would mean they'd only animate the first 2 arcs. ANN listing isn't that accurate anyway.

I loved the episode. It did feel rushed, but that's to be expected. Too little BGMs from the game though - I only recognized suspicion and witch_in_gold_cenba.
Jul 1, 2009 1:02 PM

Oct 2007
Link91 said:
Considering the censoring of bad words used by Eva, I don't have too high hopes for the death-scenes, but otherwise, loved this episode and looking forward to the rest!

Wait.... Censoring like..... [BLEEP] censoring???

Jul 1, 2009 1:05 PM
Oct 2008
Those censors were not part of the original broadcast. They might be from the RAW encoder.
Jul 1, 2009 1:05 PM

Jul 2008
I wanted to see Bernkastel in the op/ed...

And yeah it was the BLEEP censoring.
Jul 1, 2009 1:06 PM
Feb 2009
confused_kitsune said:
I don't think it will only be 13 episodes long, that would mean they'd only animate the first 2 arcs. ANN listing isn't that accurate anyway.

I've seen somewhere else than ANN, but I don't remember where.

wOrLdIsMiNe said:
Wait.... Censoring like..... [BLEEP] censoring???

Yep. Several times. :(
Jul 1, 2009 1:09 PM

Jul 2007
justcallmeLuna said:
confused_kitsune said:

I've seen somewhere else than ANN, but I don't remember where.

13 episodes is only stated on English websites. I've yet to see it on any Japanese sites.

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
Jul 1, 2009 1:18 PM
Feb 2009
atlantiza said:
13 episodes is only stated on English websites. I've yet to see it on any Japanese sites.

That's good news then ^^ Thank you for telling me! I read every anime related stuff that seems interesting in every language I can speak/read... and I always confuse where I've read the info. :(
Jul 1, 2009 1:21 PM

Sep 2007
Holy shit! That was a fast episode!
Liked it. OP and ED were awesome.
Jul 1, 2009 1:33 PM
Nov 2007
It's my speculation:
If it's 13 episodes only, I think they'll only do 2 arcs per season, and two seasons with overall 26 episodes per year. (There are still four games to be released if I'm right.)

I really liked the opening and the ending. It fits the anime very well. The pointing Battler had to be in! XD

The first episode felt a bit rushed, but I don't think we missed any necessary information.

Btw, I don't really remember the first game. It was a long ago. But the game was LONG, so I think the anime will slow down a bit when they get to the... "second half of the first game."
nason07Jul 1, 2009 1:41 PM
Jul 1, 2009 1:41 PM

Nov 2007
ANN automatically lists all anime as 13 episodes unless it's been confirmed that they'll be shorter/longer.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jul 1, 2009 1:47 PM
May 2008
When will this be subbed?
does anybody know
Jul 1, 2009 1:58 PM

Dec 2007
lol maria: uuh~~
Jul 1, 2009 2:06 PM

Apr 2007
I think it's going to be 26 since an anime blog announced that DEEN's going to release 13 blu-ray DVDs. Unless they're insane and plan on putting 1 episode per DVD, then I'm pretty sure it'll be 26.

Source: http://muhootsaver.tistory.com/entry/Jun-272009-Anime-News-Fairy-Tail-Anime-adaption

Pretty decent episode. I think I pumped myself too much looking at the screenshots so when I actually watched the episode, I was more mellow. Will rate once I watch the subbed version.
Jul 1, 2009 2:22 PM

Jul 2008
I liked this episode pretty much. The animation wasn't that bad, opening was as good as i remembered and characters were nice. Beatrice's portrait is as creepy (for meh) as always and I liked seiyuus. Though I waited for a little manlier voice for Kanon, but it's Yuu so I won't complain.

And I wanted to see Bern in opening aswell 8----((

Jul 1, 2009 2:53 PM
Dec 2007
I'm not sure what I think of the opening. Kind of expected it would open with the portrait, and I like all the gold butterflies swarming around. Don't like Battler's introduction animation, looks horribly plain. Same with introducing Jessica/George/Kanon/Jessica. The turning clocks was a nice addition, especially with the shaking and the red tint. Not too fond of how the siblings and everyone else with introduced, either. The black shadows look far too plain. Kinzo's part is much better, with the epitaph behind him.

I adore Maria's Hallowe'en scene, which looks so childlike and cartoony. Especially that twisted grin~ easily my favourite scene out of the whole opening. Beatrice looks... I don't know, not Beatrice-y enough. Expected her to be cackling in the opening, disappointed that she has that vague, far-off look instead. Her disappearing into the golden butterflies was a nice touch. Surprised they put the scene where

Ooooh, meta-world Beatrice and Battler, I like! Especially Beatrice's condescending smirk~ now that's what I was expecting! Now, for the ending animation. And hah, I knew that the ending would have a chessboard! I'm quite happy with the ending, considering. I really wanted something dramatic, but all the same, I think the animation fits well. Especially the rose garden at dusk, and the shakey camera angles of the house.
Jul 1, 2009 2:54 PM
Dec 2007
And my episode summary, for people who haven't seen it yet;

Episode opens in Kinzo's deliciously eerie room, where Kinzo has his obnoxious sweet green drink in his hand. He drops it, and calls out for Beatrice. He laments, if only he could see her smile. Cut to everyone on the boat, then the harbour. Maria notices that the shrine isn't there, and says 'misfortune' (I think?) twice in a rather eerie fashion.

They immediately arrive at the rose garden, where George wraps the candy wrapper around Maria's rose. Kanon arrives, Battler calls out to him, and Jessica makes excuses for him. Godha arrives (he doesn't look as annoying as he did in the visual novel, actually), and tells Kanon to cop in. Kanon says his infamous line, 'I am furniture'. They move to the guesthouse, and then Shannon knocks on the cousin's door. Battler is lecherous, and attempts to touch Shannon's chest. Jessica knocks him out (what, no 'thank you?'). Cut to Krauss knocking at Kinzo's door (he doesn't look as fearsome or... refined as he did in the vn), whilst Kinzo freaks out. Kinzo's boggled eyed look is animated pretty well. Genji doesn't look as docile as he did, and looks almost daunting. Cut to the cousins and Shannon arriving at the portrait. Maria knows that it's Bae-ta-ri-chi (:lmao), and George says that she's a witch. Cut to Battler narrating Kinzo's past, with the fire. Cut to the siblings and their partners in the parlor. Talks about money, and the hotel are made. Started off by Eva, of course. Fight between Eva and Natsuhi breaks out. Eva is censored, surprisingly. No, it's an actual 'bleep' and everything. Natsuhi is evidently shocked. Eva proceeds to lay into her, and another two 'bleeps' are heard. Natsuhi's tears well up, Krauss tells her to calm down. Natsuhi fleas, while everyone else looks on. Kumasawa looks on as Natsuhi cries in the hall.

Cut to Battler looking at the epitaph (which seems to be engraved on a block of marble now), and the cousins proceed to talk about it. Cut to Kinzo talking about the contract with Beatrice. Battler says it's a load of bull, which sets Maria off 'uuu-uuu!'ing. Battler quickly says that he does believe, to save Maria's innocence. They all proceed to the beach for their picnic, which cheers Maria right up. Cue midway point. I like that they kept the clock and the breaking glass effect, too.

Cut back to the siblings. I mostly skipped this part, but we know they're most likely trying to get the money out of Krauss. Cut to the beach, where Shannon is absent. They're talking about Beatrice, and Maria is just so adorable the way she says, 'witches are amazing!'. She gives them the scorpion charms, as thunder looms in the background. Cut to the rose garden, where they're searching for Maria's rose. Enter Rosa, where Maria says that her rose is lost. Maria starts constantly 'uuu!'ing, while Rosa tells her to stop. Her 'uuu's get more frantic, and Rosa eventually hits her so hard that it knocks her off her feat. Everyone is visibly shocked, Maria proceeds to cry, whilst clutching her face. She starts her 'uuu's again, Rosa hits her again. Rosa tells her, 'I already told you to stop!', while Battler attempts to intervene. Rosa says rather harshly that it's none of his business. Rosa tells him that she has no friends in her class over her 'uuu's. George says that they should leave Rosa and Maria alone, which they do. Rosa storms off in a rage, feeling a small bit of regret. Maria remains crying on her knees by the roses, whilst a golden butterfly floats by her. It begins to rain heavily. Cut to Kinzo in his room, calling out to the heavens. He tells Beatrice to start it all, and throws his sealing ring away. Cut to Maria 'uuu'ing by the roses, and they show an 'ominous figure' carrying the white umbrella.
Cut to the guest house, where everyone is called for dinner. Kanon asks where Maria is, and Jessica says, 'isn't she with Aunt Rosa?', to which Kanon says she's not. Everyone panics, cut to Rosa looking for Maria in the rose garden, with her umbrella. The cousins catch up with her. Battler eventually spots Maria, with a white umbrella. Rosa is so overcome with relief that she rushes over to Maria, dropping her umbrella in the process. Maria says that she still can't find her rose. Rosa asks where did she get her umbrella, and Maria says 'Beatrice!' with a smile. Cue confusion on everyone's faces. Cut to thunder flashing over Beatrice's portrait. Episode ends.

Oh, and they kept some of the game music, too!
Jul 1, 2009 3:59 PM

Jun 2009
I was not far from a heart attack. =)
Waiting for faaaansub.... =/
Jul 1, 2009 4:44 PM

Mar 2008
I feel so elitist...it felt so rushed to me. I think if I hadn't played the games, I wouldn't have liked it and only watched the next episodes because of my love for Higurashi. At least I know it'll get much awesomer later~
Jul 1, 2009 4:55 PM
Dec 2007
^ It was rushed. The speed was that of a bullet train. The first episode could comfortably have eight episodes, but it's going to have five instead. I'm rather annoyed, but oh well~
Jul 1, 2009 5:34 PM

Mar 2009
BEEP BEEP
Haha censoring, that made me laugh. I need to get the version with no censoring later. 8D
The pacing surprised me, I didn't expect it to be that fast. But even so it was a good episode.
I really liked the OP especially the little part with Maria~
Jul 1, 2009 5:46 PM

Mar 2008
RetroCrescendo said:
^ It was rushed. The speed was that of a bullet train. The first episode could comfortably have eight episodes, but it's going to have five instead. I'm rather annoyed, but oh well~

I'm a little annoyed too, but if having it only be 5 episodes gives more time for the other games I'm perfectly fine with it.

I'm a little curious to see how people will react when this episode gets subbed, since people new to Umineko aren't really likely to watch RAWs ^^;
Jul 1, 2009 5:56 PM

Jul 2007
Nice first episode, the pacing is perfect as far as I'm concerned. There's no need to spend half an episode (especially a first episode) on boat rides and small talk.
The ED is awesome, which surprised me because I dislike most of Jimang's solo work.
Jul 1, 2009 5:59 PM

Jun 2008
I still hate the character designs. Their eyes make them look like bugs. Horie Yui as Maria wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maria's actually less annoying than I imagined her to be. Jessica, Battler and Kanon are good. Rosa looks so different that I didn't recognize her at first. And George is looks like a CLAMP character. He shouldn't be so skinny.

Like everyone else said, the episode was too rushed but it wasn't quite as bad as I expected. I had really low expectations for the anime so I guess I can't be too disappointed.
hirahiraJul 1, 2009 6:07 PM
Jul 1, 2009 7:15 PM

Nov 2007
Pacing had problems, they jumped to each scene a bit too quick but I expected that considering how long the character introductions were. It's definitely not easy to introduce 18 characters at once (poor Nanjo didn't get introduced like the others, probably next episode). I still have hope. I don't even remember how many times I watched the OP over and over again XD. I like the ED too, but I was expecting a more chaotic sequence, kinda like the chessboard thing at the beginning, which I immensely adore. The episode got really good when the rose scene started.
Jul 1, 2009 7:18 PM

Feb 2008
Well I enjoyed it. Like some others have said I'm not too fond of the character designs, particularly Battler's. I'm not a fan of male characters having big eyes like that. I liked Rie as Shannon in this episode but Horie Yui was as annoying as usual. I cringed when Maria started going "uuu". I can't say that I blame Rosa for smacking her :/

I loved the scene in the garden after Maria shut up though. Very nice atmosphere. Hopefully we get more Beato soon.
Jul 1, 2009 7:33 PM

Jul 2008
I think this episode is great, turns out better than i expected^^ nice pacing so far if you ask me :)
ShanaFlameJul 1, 2009 8:19 PM
Jul 1, 2009 8:26 PM

Sep 2007
The introduction seemed a little rushed, missing out on a lot of character development, but I guess that was to be expected. Personally, I never felt the introductions in the visual novels dragged on too long.

Eva is my favorite of the siblings, and I think Miki Itou did a great job voicing her. She sounded perfectly elegant and cruel. I was a little disappointed Beatrice didn't have any lines in this episode (though I knew the chance would be slim). I'm really looking forward to see how Sayaka Ohara voices her.

I loved how Jimang (of Sound Horizon fame) did the vocals for the ED. Also, noticed that Silver Forest was credited in the ED. I was hoping they would have that scene in the anime, and it looks like they will. Awesome.
KawaiiFiveOJul 1, 2009 8:30 PM
Jul 1, 2009 10:05 PM

May 2007
TomBronze said:
The introduction seemed a little rushed, missing out on a lot of character development, but I guess that was to be expected. Personally, I never felt the introductions in the visual novels dragged on too long.

i really was surprised with the character's presentations in Detective Conan style
ah and don't forget the MACKEREL

but if this means Tea Parties + that scene by Silver Forest, i don't mind some rushed episodes
Jul 1, 2009 10:44 PM

Sep 2007
CoalGuys have released subs for Episode 1. Can anyone who's read the VNs confirm whether or not they are legit?
PunishedHametsuJul 1, 2009 10:48 PM
Jul 1, 2009 10:49 PM

Sep 2007
I like the fact that it's this fast. If I want something slow with lots of detail I'll read a book (or VN). We already have it in a slow format, now I want a good an' fast one.
I think that five episodes should be plenty if done well and fast. They already went through the first 3/8 or more of the first VN. It should slow down a ton considering the next 4 episodes will have about 1/8 of the first VN to do, instead of 3/8.
DrZedJul 1, 2009 10:57 PM
Jul 1, 2009 11:00 PM

Sep 2008
First of all, I really thought that Maria was cute, making that noise, then it got extremely annoying; I still like her little crown ornament though.

On the other hand I love Shanon's dress, revealing yet somehow elegantly presented. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2009 11:04 PM

Mar 2008
Foggle said:
CoalGuys have released subs for Episode 1. Can anyone who's read the VNs confirm whether or not they are legit?

Yes it's legit
Jul 1, 2009 11:19 PM

Jul 2008
Subs :D
Jul 1, 2009 11:19 PM
Mar 2008
Really, really great episode. I don't really understand why did I like it so much but well...
Jul 1, 2009 11:20 PM
Dec 2008
yay subs!
Jul 1, 2009 11:22 PM

Feb 2007
Maria needs to die. I was so happy when Rosa beat her down.
Jul 1, 2009 11:28 PM

Feb 2008
Coalguys? Fuck that. I'll wait.
Jul 1, 2009 11:32 PM

Dec 2007
oh man, that was great. can't wait for the next episode
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 7, 2009

237 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 4, 2023 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.