Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Oct 30, 2012 3:44 PM
Oct 2009
next episode fucking when. don't care for the art style and direction of the episode but that's ok.

at any rate i am an absolute sucker for speculative sci-fi works in any media. i need more!
Oct 30, 2012 7:31 PM

Sep 2009
Marow said:
I don't mind the style, although it looked rather off at times.

What I do mind is the fact that the story just took a turn for the weird.
I haven't watched the episode yet, but I fear I will feel the same as you.
Oct 30, 2012 8:41 PM

Sep 2012
I like this art style more, TBH.
Oct 30, 2012 8:53 PM

Nov 2011
Ok seriously the animation of this episode makes me want to vomit. And the plot seriously is so jacked and confusing at the moment. Those 2 were about to screw each other's brains out....and the random rat people wtf.
Oct 30, 2012 9:30 PM

Mar 2010
What the hell was that star thing they stabbed at the end of the episode. I MUST KNOWWWWWWWWW~
Oct 30, 2012 10:03 PM

Sep 2012
baracudaboy said:
What the hell was that star thing they stabbed at the end of the episode. I MUST KNOWWWWWWWWW~

I can explain how it goes in the novel, but seeing quite a bit has been changed in the anime for Saki and Satoru's escape I am no longer sure it will happen as in the novel.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 31, 2012 4:38 AM

Mar 2009
symbv said:
baracudaboy said:

I can explain how it goes in the novel, but seeing quite a bit has been changed in the anime for Saki and Satoru's escape I am no longer sure it will happen as in the novel.

Isn't it
Oct 31, 2012 4:39 AM
Oct 2009
My head is full of f*** right now, this episode made no sense, and I am sure everyone already commented on the animation and art, I hope they turn it around, or did they blow their budget on the first 4 episode?
Oct 31, 2012 4:43 AM

Sep 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
symbv said:
baracudaboy said:

Isn't it

Yeah....OK, let me elaborate
symbvOct 31, 2012 8:50 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 31, 2012 5:15 PM

May 2011
This was the weirdest episode I've ever seen. I'll agree tho... the Animation was weird. Midway between Casshern Sins and Mawaru Penguindrum, I liked the previous 'style' better. It was kind of 'unique' in it's own way.

I'm starting to wonder how they are going to explain the sudden care of Satoru toward Saki. I get it that's it is their way to 'avoid' the Stress and the complication coming with it. The 'almost' sexual scene was out of place but, when you think about it... No it wasn't. You just have to listen to the Story and really get in their world (I'll admit this episode wasn't really letting you it was a mess) What is bugging me however... is Why would ask herself about what she's about to do with Satoru when she doesn't know anything else. It's 'Normal' for her and part of their lives. I felt like she was asking herself if she should be doing this when... It should still be normal for her even after what the rainbow monster thing said.
However, back on Satoru... let's be realist, Satoru doesn't 'love' Saki so... maybe they should refrain from showing him being all 'Gentleman' holding her and everything. It's giving the wrong idea... Knowing who he actually likes, lol...

oh well, the whole episode was a mess anyway. It was giving me a hard time following the story and what was happening. The sex scene was confusing a little at first but the ending...

I watched and re-watched and no... I didn't get what happened at all when they found the 'star' thing on the ceiling and the white liquid he got on his spear after stabbing the ceiling... Nope. I didn't get a thing at all! Next episode I will maybe ? lol

If anyone can explain that part to me, go ahead =P
Oct 31, 2012 5:26 PM
Sep 2011
Bouum said:

However, back on Satoru... let's be realist, Satoru doesn't 'love' Saki so... maybe they should refrain from showing him being all 'Gentleman' holding her and everything. It's giving the wrong idea... Knowing who he actually likes, lol...

You know. You can love more than just ONE person.

Oct 31, 2012 6:20 PM

May 2011
deave112 said:

Lol I know but, that's irrelevant to what I'm trying to say. He's not attracted to Saki the same way. Felt like they had a 'friend' relationship more than a loving one so far. Different than the feeling I get from her relationship with Shun but... now, It's all messed up almost as if Satoru's relationship with her became more of a loving one at times and then came back to the old one the moment after. (I'm not talking about the Stress Relieving Scene here I don't think that scene had nothing to do with that kind of love) Maybe that's just me thinking he's protecting her too much too lol
The thing is... even if the anime is mostly following Saki... so far, the other didn't seem like they were close at all. I can see the friendship with Saki and everyone else. Maria too and a little of Mamoru but Satoru and Shun are... complete mystery. We didn't really saw them talk together either. They don't seem close at all so far.

It's like the whole turn of event are trying to making me believe there's something going on between Saki and Satoru when there's not and it's not only this episode. We barely saw her relationship with Shun because she keeps having scene talking to Satoru. It's like they are trying to make us think they have some kind of special relation and then... Bam! ''Nope! You didn't saw it coming eh but this character actually likes this other character!'' lol

I just wish the real relation between all the character all get in place slowly and don't get thrown suddenly and end up feeling out of place!
Oct 31, 2012 6:41 PM

Jul 2012
The animation was eh.. The first thing I noticed, but it was a pretty good episode though.
Oct 31, 2012 6:47 PM
Sep 2012
Alright anyone wanna tell me wtf the scene between saki and satorou is about? Jeez what have they done to these kids. Also this episode went over my head and I didn't even understand much of it, guess I gotta watch it again lol.
Oct 31, 2012 6:51 PM
Sep 2011
Bouum said:
deave112 said:

Lol I know but, that's irrelevant to what I'm trying to say. He's not attracted to Saki the same way. Felt like they had a 'friend' relationship more than a loving one so far. Different than the feeling I get from her relationship with Shun but... now, It's all messed up almost as if Satoru's relationship with her became more of a loving one at times and then came back to the old one the moment after. (I'm not talking about the Stress Relieving Scene here I don't think that scene had nothing to do with that kind of love) Maybe that's just me thinking he's protecting her too much too lol
The thing is... even if the anime is mostly following Saki... so far, the other didn't seem like they were close at all. I can see the friendship with Saki and everyone else. Maria too and a little of Mamoru but Satoru and Shun are... complete mystery. We didn't really saw them talk together either. They don't seem close at all so far.

It's like the whole turn of event are trying to making me believe there's something going on between Saki and Satoru when there's not and it's not only this episode. We barely saw her relationship with Shun because she keeps having scene talking to Satoru. It's like they are trying to make us think they have some kind of special relation and then... Bam! ''Nope! You didn't saw it coming eh but this character actually likes this other character!'' lol

I just wish the real relation between all the character all get in place slowly and don't get thrown suddenly and end up feeling out of place!

LOL!

Oct 31, 2012 7:32 PM

Aug 2011
The animation was kinda experimental... but I loved it o_o ...am I the only one? ._./

Edit: tehIsther?? http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=326
NatodayoOct 31, 2012 7:49 PM
Oct 31, 2012 9:12 PM

Sep 2012
xtremexx said:
Alright anyone wanna tell me wtf the scene between saki and satorou is about? Jeez what have they done to these kids. Also this episode went over my head and I didn't even understand much of it, guess I gotta watch it again lol.

I wrote several posts about what happened in this episode. They may have the answer you are seeking:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=140#msg18006707
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=200#msg18010031
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=240#msg18016211

By the way, I am checking more reactions from Japan fans because many regions do not get to see the anime until yesterday due to local TV schedule differences. Basically:
- Since they already knew about the sakuga/animation issue, they were relieved to find it was not like their worst fear

- Many also found the characters look older and more mature, and some think it fits the situation better, though opinion is divided as to which style they prefer

- Consensus that it is no good that consistency of sakuga has been lost in this episode. Opinion is divided as to whether this alone can be called "bad sakuga". But scenes like talking without mouth moving is definitely considered problematic.

- Many people do not like the frequent close-up. They think it is particularly unsuitable to a story like Shinsekai Yori because it can make the story even less easy to follow.

- Everyone thinks the direction is problematic.

- Most agree it is not a good idea to allow episode director and animation director to go too far on personal style at the expense of the overall standard in the series.

Nov 1, 2012 4:33 AM

Jul 2010
Did something happen to Satoru or something? He's no long the annoying idiot and he looks a lot cooler now. For some reason they all do. It looks like the art is a little different. And I thought Saki liked Shun and not him?

Well, that queen is a looker isn't she? This show is pretty weird. I have no idea where it is going, but I'm still fascinated by it.

Nov 1, 2012 1:25 PM

Apr 2011
The animation was weird for a second. Satoru finally has some swag to him this episode. The scene between him and Saki seem so weird it looked they were getting close to making out with each other. And that gooey stuff on the sword looked weird, can't wait until the next episode.
Nov 1, 2012 2:28 PM

Dec 2010
wow, reading the comments here, I feel like I've watched a completely different anime O_O
I didn't notice naything really bad with the animation
the rest (facial expressions, etc...) looked just as "weird" as in the eps before
and everything was perfectly understandable to me, especially compared to the first eps
Nov 1, 2012 2:46 PM
Dec 2011
I actually liked the grownup feeling for the characters in this episode.Not just the way Satoru acted,but the way he and Saki was drawn too.
That being said,the art looked worse than previous episodes indeed,and the animation had some crappy timing at some scenes,the worst being Satoru and Saki falling as I can recall.
Another thing that caught my eye was the explosion scene of the Baloon Dog looked a lot different than in the trailer...The trailer version had more impact.
TTGL episode 4 comes to mind.
Other than these,I think the story flow is a bit seamy as well.Things happen a bit random,it's rather hard to link one event to other.
Nov 1, 2012 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
The surreal and abstract art style and direction of this episode reminded me of Texhnolyze. After the explosion and the monk dying, the older character designs worked for me. The kids are not children anymore after experiencing the revelation with the bio-computer and witnessing the death of so many humanoids. Having a surreal art style reflected the panic and constant action that pumped through the veins of this episode.
Regarding the intimate scene, I was disappointed that Saki rejected it so soon. It ruined the build-up before anything conclusion could be reached.
After killing at least four rats, Satoru doesn't seem to be succumbing to the gene-punishment; though the killing may be the crimes that Saki is speaking of. Though, when he took that cut to the head it was reminiscent of something I would think of seeing in Heart of Darkness. I wish the show kept it up.
Watching:
Shinsekai Yori, Robotics;Notes, Psycho-Pass, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Sasami-san@Gambaranai
Nov 1, 2012 9:13 PM

Oct 2011
Am I the only one who finds this show to be hallarious X'D
Nov 2, 2012 6:41 AM
Nov 2012
Guess im crazy because i thought the animation was great...
Nov 2, 2012 8:50 AM

Oct 2012
I'm been wondering - I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question that has been answered - Rijin starting suffering the effects of the "death feedback" after incinerating the little minoshiro, because of the protection mechanism the minoshiro used. However, he got worse after killing all of those Bakenezumi. Satoru killeda bunch of Bakennezumi when running away, but he didn't suffer any after effects. Why is that?
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Nov 2, 2012 10:09 AM

Sep 2012
Joseito1875 said:
I'm been wondering - I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question that has been answered - Rijin starting suffering the effects of the "death feedback" after incinerating the little minoshiro, because of the protection mechanism the minoshiro used. However, he got worse after killing all of those Bakenezumi. Satoru killeda bunch of Bakennezumi when running away, but he didn't suffer any after effects. Why is that?

This is one thing this episode tried to show but because of, in my opinion, incompetent directing, it failed to show why this is the case and worse caused misunderstanding.

First, let me be clear: Killing Bakenezumi does not trigger "death feedback" mechanism.

So what happened to Rijin after he killed the bunch of Bakenezumi?

The answer lies in the smoke that looks like a woman.

Perhaps because of the vision of those images by Minoshiro, Rijin was already suffering from the "death feedback" and was particularly sensitive to human-like images. Somehow the smokes seemed to take a form of a woman, which further exacerbated Rijin's suffering.

However, in anime they made the smoke look too close to a woman form - thus spurred speculation from fans that 1) Bakenezumi is human after all so attacking them create such image which hurts Rijin or 2) Bakenezumi had some secret weapon to deter human like Rijin. But in fact that scene proved none of the above. It is just unfortunate that in anime it was not made clear but instead caused confusion and misunderstanding.

Nov 2, 2012 10:17 AM
Aug 2007
jesus, what crappy animation this episode had..
Nov 2, 2012 10:17 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Joseito1875 said:

This is one thing this episode tried to show but because of, in my opinion, incompetent directing, it failed to show why this is the case and worse caused misunderstanding.

First, let me be clear: Killing Bakenezumi does not trigger "death feedback" mechanism.

So what happened to Rijin after he killed the bunch of Bakenezumi?

The answer lies in the smoke that looks like a woman.

Perhaps because of the vision of those images by Minoshiro, Rijin was already suffering from the "death feedback" and was particularly sensitive to human-like images. Somehow the smokes seemed to take a form of a woman, which further exacerbated Rijin's suffering.

However, in anime they made the smoke look too close to a woman form - thus spurred speculation from fans that 1) Bakenezumi is human after all so attacking them create such image which hurts Rijin or 2) Bakenezumi had some secret weapon to deter human like Rijin. But in fact that scene proved none of the above. It is just unfortunate that in anime it was not made clear but instead caused confusion and misunderstanding.

Oh, I see. I was also kind of speculating that the Bakenezumi were somehow related to the dissapearance of the children...or that they were former humans...but I guess I was wrong. It's just a case of bad directing.

Thanks for clearing things up.
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Nov 2, 2012 1:13 PM

Dec 2009
Things are certainly picking up. The pace seems fine. But is it just me or did the chara designs go through a huge make-up?

Especially Satoru went to full mode good looking bishie mode. But then again in the preview he was pretty much back to normal.

Oh and did they almost have the s-e-x in the prison thingie?

Great episode which proves Shinsekai Yori is one of the best shows this season.

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 2, 2012 1:21 PM

Jul 2012
Some poor animation this episde.
Nov 2, 2012 1:24 PM

Sep 2012
Sir_Lexa said:
Things are certainly picking up. The pace seems fine. But is it just me or did the chara designs go through a huge make-up?

There is a new episode director and episode chief animator. The unique style that was brought in caused the substantial inconsistency of the look of the character design and sakuga (still frames and animation). And the directing in this episode seems to have confused many watchers too.

Sir_Lexa said:

Oh and did they almost have the s-e-x in the prison thingie?
I wrote several posts about what happened in this episode. They may have the answer you are seeking:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=140#msg18006707
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=200#msg18010031
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=240#msg18016211
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=340#msg18112963

Nov 2, 2012 1:48 PM

Dec 2009
^^^ I see. Thanks for clearing some things up.
Nov 2, 2012 3:38 PM
Nov 2012
I gotta say... Satoru was incredibly sexy in this episode wasn't he?

KinetaNov 2, 2012 4:45 PM
Nov 3, 2012 12:33 PM

Oct 2010
this was a strange episode
Nov 5, 2012 11:01 AM
Jan 2012
This episode was an awful piece of crap.

- Awful drawing style
- Awful animation (was there even animation?)
- Awful directing

HOW CAN PEOPLE RATE THIS EPISODE 5?

If you didn't notice that something was off, you should seriously consider visiting an optician or step down on drugs because from the start the animation is non-existent, the drawing style is blurry and the colours are completely off. There are better-looking animes from the beginning of the 80s for fuck's sake! And why do they look like they're smiling? Seriously, after 30 seconds I was wondering who the hell were these characters.

Don't fuck with the visual style after only 4 episodes in the series, keep that kind of crap for a filler in the middle when the pace is slow if you really want to let a pothead experiment with the show.

And direction? Seriously? There's not a fucking single transition! And it looks as though they wanted to avoid as much as possible drawing more than 3 moving things on screen at the same time, so even though they're supposedly pursued by dozens of rats, we don't get to see anything. And when they visit the queen in the nest, why is that place so empty? They're being threatened by another clan, where are the guards? Why does my only lasting memory of this episode will be Satoru jumping at Saki every 30 seconds to protect her from something?

Utter disappointment.
Nov 5, 2012 8:17 PM

Jul 2010
I gotta tell the truth... that was disturbing. Especially with the shifting, inconsistent animation.
Honestly freaked me out a bit.. I might not be able to handle this XD
I thought it was all happy but it just got SCARY mann... those monster rats creep me out so much, probs gonna watch a few more episodes, but I'm dropping it if I can't take it lol
Nov 9, 2012 4:49 PM
May 2012
Regarding to the different style of animation that happened in this episode

I am putting my hopes on those Blu-ray discs when this is finished that they remain faithful to the novel.
Nov 9, 2012 5:41 PM

Jun 2012
I barely ever come to these discussions, but from what I hear... The art looked like sand inside a vagina...? Well that must be pretty sexy, cuz I'm a fan of this series' art style, even when it's this inconsistant.
Nov 10, 2012 11:16 AM

Jan 2008
While I can't really say yet since I've only watched a bit past the 'almost sex scene', I understand why they did the sudden change of animation. Obviously they took this step to make the characters look more mature, since they looked like middle schoolers with the old animation and that would be highly inappropriate with such intimate scenes. For the directing tough, no clue. It's too much in your face, literally.
Nov 10, 2012 8:24 PM

Sep 2012
Pindakaas said:
I understand why they did the sudden change of animation. Obviously they took this step to make the characters look more mature, since they looked like middle schoolers with the old animation and that would be highly inappropriate with such intimate scenes..
Even if what you said is true, this should not be done in the middle of an arc. And the art style reverted to the original style in the next episode - just changing the art style for one whole episode just for that minute or so intimate scene is a bit hard to believe.

Nov 11, 2012 8:19 AM

Jul 2009
dropped because so uber boring D:
Nov 11, 2012 10:31 AM

Dec 2011
So uhh.......kids have *** in this series huh?
I thought Saki and Satoru moment in the cage was so weird...
Nov 12, 2012 1:21 PM
Aug 2010
Yea that cage scene was weird, I think it had something to do with what that creature was saying about the orangutan using intimacy to deter conflicts and violence or something. Seems like there's something about the genetics of these humans or something that makes them more intimate with each other. I forgot exactly what the thing said though but I pretty sure it'll probably get explained later, the episode itself made that scene look like its suppose to be strange.

Anyways, I always knew Satoru had a thing for Saki but two kids trying to have sex during that situation is weird, especially since she seems to like the other guy. Even if she's fickle and likes Satoru too, trying to sex him up out of nowhere is still weird.

Other than a few moments of strangeness, pretty good episode. Again, probably still not for people who are looking for something a little more mindless though.
Nov 12, 2012 1:25 PM
Aug 2010
straycat95 said:
So uhh.......kids have *** in this series huh?
I thought Saki and Satoru moment in the cage was so weird...

I don't see what's so strange about the mature content. Despite the main characters starting out as kids (though they do grow up later from what wiki says), this series is very very likely intended for more mature audiences.
Nov 15, 2012 5:52 AM

Jul 2011
walk said:
LOLOLOL saki is such a tease omg. "i'll do it, stay still. wait no nvm --"

I laughed so much
Nov 16, 2012 6:22 AM
Jan 2010
Oh man that was such a great episode. Half the time I couldn't even tell what was going on due to animation fuckups. And I get they're trying to nail down the whole "when we're stressed we fuck" point, but those two characters going from "I fucking hate you" to "let's fuck" in a heartbeat (and never really going back) was just too sudden.
And then there's the whole thing with the priest. Did he die or something? That is fucking bullshit. He could summon the reaper or something and kill a horde of enemies and then he dies because of one shuriken bone throwing fucking blowdog.
this is legendary.

Really, it's not just the artstyle, it's the whole fucking direction. This show was so good until this piece of crap.
StardustReverieNov 16, 2012 6:27 AM
Nov 17, 2012 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
They sure know how to do cliffhangers
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM

Jun 2012
Best episode yet. Loved it!
Nov 22, 2012 10:26 AM

Sep 2009
WTF? I just watched episode 4 and now this.. I thought in the beginning, those are not the main characters bcoz they suddenly got tall and their faces kinda changed. O.O
In the 4th episode, they look like just a little children. In this episode, it's very opposite. Their faces changed.. The colors of their eyes.. The colors of their face.. and their facial expression.. They all changed. They become matured. I like the other one more than this..

By the way, where's Shun? I misunderstood Satoru from Shun bcoz of the graphics.
Dec 25, 2012 2:31 PM

Jun 2012
This series is really suspenseful, I really like it. I like how serious and grave everything is, the very different world, and everything else. I also like the music, seems to fit well.
5/5.

Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 5, 2012

323 by aliwhytho »»
Sep 23, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 28, 2012

466 by aliwhytho »»
Sep 23, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1326 by SenpaiTM »»
Sep 23, 3:55 AM

» why did everyone turn gay?

bladewade - Aug 23

14 by BiazinhaBR »»
Aug 25, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Should humans adopt some parts of Bonobo sociosexual behavior similar to Shinsekai yori?

Zarutaku - Aug 15

19 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Aug 21, 7:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.