Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 7, 2011 1:21 PM
Mar 2011
ImperialX said:

Why can Clain's dad control a doppel to live with Clain when the old man wasn't in an Active Zone?
Why did Dias let Phyrne live all that time if he knew she was the key?
Why does the Fractale system have to be rebooted every 1000 years?
Why does Fractale's brain think like a 10 year old when the girl ('god') used to construct it is 16?
Why did the girl ('god') act like a 16 year old in the last video she recorded and not a 10 year old?
Why was Clain able to safely return home from outer space?
Why did the girl after the fusion have Nessa's voice if she has Phyrne's voicebox?
Why did the girl after the fusion have a completely different personality to the girl ('god') in the video?

We only have answers for a few of these. The first is why Fractale needs to reboot every 1000 years. In the show, the answer is given in the form of entropy. I'm not the biggest entropy expert in the world, but think of it like a Windows PC that hasn't been properly maintained, and that slowly builds up junk (in the registry and elsewhere) before it finally runs sluggish, crashes often, and is just basically unusable. That is basically what has happened to Fractale over the years, although we obviously don't know why.

The second is why Fractale's "God" is a ten year old girl, when the girl used was 16. The information we have on this is that Phryne created either a split personality, or an imaginary friend (take your pick) and gave it the name "Nessa" after her stuffed animal. She did this to cope with the hardships of her life (abuse, in some form of another). For some reason, this is the Phryne that Fractale was designed after, and not the 16 year old version. It doesn't make any sense, and Fractale never displays any emotion itself, but whatever.

Finally, Phryne isn't the same as the "god" Phryne, because she is a different person. She's basically the same Phryne from the rest of the show, without the burden of the abuse she suffered (which is Nessa's contribution). We know this because she has all of her memories of Clain. It would be less confusing if Phryne hadn't spent ten seconds of the last episode acting like she was Nessa, but then the production staff couldn't have had their joke of making us think that Phryne was gone.

Other than those few things, I completely agree with you. Those plot holes are all gaping, and they will never be answered satisfactorily unless the novel or the manga covers them.
Apr 8, 2011 11:18 AM

Oct 2009
alwaysbored said:
Great start .... shitty ending...
Am I asking for too much if I want everything to make sense ????
6/10

No you are not. But I still liked it anyway.
Apr 8, 2011 3:53 PM

Jul 2009
It should have been longer, 11 episodes was definitely not enough to fully express this story. But I really enjoyed it anyway
Apr 9, 2011 7:34 PM

Sep 2008
Massively underrated show for sure.

I loved it from beginning to end.

Only thing that bothered me was the whole "pervert" thing. It was really out of place in an anime like this and also rather uncalled for since the main char never even did anything.

Definitely a show I'll recommend to some of my friends.
Apr 11, 2011 6:02 AM
May 2010
Apr 11, 2011 11:02 AM

Feb 2008
I have honestly no idea why I watched this show to the end. I'm approaching 500 completed shows, and not many of them were worse than Fractale. I feel very generous when I give it a 4.
Apr 12, 2011 9:44 AM

Apr 2009
Gahhh. Obviously Sunda dies. Why do they always kill off the only characters I care about in a show? -.-
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Apr 13, 2011 2:56 PM
Mar 2010
Very good finale!!! And all go to their respective position, Sunda and Dias die, I'm feel sad for them...
I think if this anime has formed by 25 or plus episodes, it was be awesome, very masterpiece... but only 11 eps are too short......
I give 8,5 to this anime, for these motivation.
Best chara of this series is Nessa, Sunda is good character, too..... I'm very curious to know how this anime would be with many episodes.........
Apr 16, 2011 4:54 AM

May 2010
waste of time.
Apr 18, 2011 12:02 AM

Nov 2009
mm that was ok. i felt the characters really lacked a lot of depth. i found phyrne pissing me off most of the time. and what were the point of sunda and dias's characters? honestly. nothing about fractale was adequately explained and what the HELL was that whole god thing at the end???? too many plot holes but the music was really beautiful and a happy ending is always good. i give this a 6.5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2011 5:24 PM

Aug 2010
So there god turned out to be an ordinary 16 year old girl who was as inmature as a 10 year old and Nessa was named after a bunny WOW. In the end Phryne and Nessa merged to make an inmature Nessa great.
Well the ending was a tad weird but i did enjoy the show it was a strangly good scfi/romance. 7/10
Apr 21, 2011 12:45 PM

Aug 2008
Lost interest during the last 3 episodes. In any case, I'm glad Clain got his happy ending.
I would like to know what happened to Enri's brother. Did he die or something?
And I was cheering when the creepy guy got stabbed. Good job Phryne.
Apr 23, 2011 11:40 PM

Jan 2010
It started off really well, I absolutely liked the firs three or four episodes, but then it started to turn inconsistent, badly produced and generic. And to boot, I have never been a fan of the whole "friendhsip and promises will save the world and we will live forever zutto" type of plot. It's just so freaking corny.

And I don't even want to start talking about how irritating and useless Clain was. Even Enri was more pleasing to the senses than him.

The only thing that saved the show a bit, for me, was the fact that Nessa "came back". I liked her and wondered how it would be possible for her to be a happy ending, being a doppel and all.

I was ready to give it a 9 at first, even thought that i fit went well it might get a 10, but now I can't give it more than a 6...
Apr 25, 2011 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
I really like it. I got so caught up that I watched all the episodes in a couple of days. Great anime, great animation and very good story that makes you think. I give it a 9.
Apr 28, 2011 11:00 AM

Oct 2008
This is your conductor, Yamamoto, speaking.
I am sorry to inform you that there is a roadblock ahead and that the breaks have suddenly given way. The train is hurtling at full speed into a large concrete wall. The chance of death and dismemberment are extremely likely.
*Pause*
Thank you for riding the fail train and I hope you will ride with us again someday.
May 14, 2011 6:35 PM

Jan 2008
It had a promising first episode, but went downhill from there. Maybe I missed something, but I still barely understand what the importance of Fractale really is.
May 23, 2011 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
YGH said:
I feel like the more they tried to explain things the worse it got.

Ditto.

So much wasted potential.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
May 24, 2011 4:49 AM

Dec 2009
sad episode. I'm glad they tied up all the lose ends, but I still want more info into what everything meant.
Jun 2, 2011 7:21 PM

Dec 2010
It was very good on the first episodes, this last one was ok, but they didn't explain a lot of things

7/10
Jun 5, 2011 8:08 PM

Apr 2011
They didn't even explain as to why teenage girls are needed to be keys of the Fractale system. Heck they didn't even explain why it needs to be rebooted. Fail anime.
Jun 26, 2011 7:02 AM

Jun 2009
A wasted potential... but I quite enjoyed it somehow, just the whole feel of the show is pretty decent. A lot of un-answered question.

Who else think of Haruhi when they show the 16 years old god?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2011 10:45 PM

Nov 2009
i liked the show, but it could have been a lot better, shame :/
& i liked old phryne better T_T
Jul 7, 2011 12:22 PM
Feb 2010
For a second I really thought they were going to play FFX's Hymn of the Fayth.
The ending was rushed. I enjoyed the series until they suddenly appeared in that huge town... But I loved the visuals, it was enough to keep me watching.

Estimated rating:

6,5/10 (would be a 7 on MAL)
Jul 11, 2011 12:46 AM
Jul 2010
StealMate said:
They didn't even explain as to why teenage girls are needed to be keys of the Fractale system. Heck they didn't even explain why it needs to be rebooted. Fail anime.
Agree on the first point. As for the second, I believe Phryne mentioned something about the entropy... (why always the entropy xD)

Anyway, I enjoyed the anime as a whole but there was definitely something missing. The characters lacked some depth for most of the show and some things were left unexplained. I still loved the setting and the themes they touched and while the plot and characters were not that great, Fractale still provided an enjoyable ride. For that, I give it a 7.5/10 (which rounds up to 8... at least for now).
Aug 24, 2011 11:49 AM

Aug 2011
The ending is fine. Overall a good anime to kill time (I watched it when I ate).
Aug 24, 2011 11:51 AM

Aug 2011
Char0079 said:

That was his father, yeah.

How do you know he's Clain's father? I didn't even notice. I thought he's just some random guy with a camera.

- yeah, ok, I browser the post. I guess it doesn't matter, let's just treat it as a bug. ;)
TekkamanBuredoAug 24, 2011 12:02 PM
Nov 11, 2011 12:34 PM
Jun 2008
Pretty meh anime overall, I gave it 7 out of 10 in the first couple of episodes, then dropped to 5, but felt like +1 it just for the great art style and music.

wtf @ licking the tears.
Feb 22, 2012 2:23 PM

Dec 2009
NDSBSAKSAJDC THIS WAS PERFEEEEECT! Oh my, oh my. When I first started watching the first episode, when I saw those "doppels" I thought damn, I'll drop this right now, but I had nothing better to do so I decided to keep watching and I regret nothing at all! It was just perfect, I love this ending. The main characters have grown on me, especially Phryne and Nessa. The story about one being the body and the other the personality was so interesting and when that was revealed I imagined Phryne with Nessa's personality right away, it was exactly as she woke up in the ending. My eyes got wet when Clain finally started crying.
I gave this a 9 ever since the beggining, however I loved the ending so much that this deserves a 10. <3
Feb 29, 2012 1:48 PM

Aug 2011
Just finished Fractale. Though I hate how they forgot about things like Clain's dad, or that pendant Phryne gave to Clain in the beginning( the guardian of his smile) I will have to admit MANLY TEARS have been shed at the ending.
Jul 19, 2012 2:14 AM

Feb 2011
Girl was kinda annoying, she needed more self confidence

Fucked system where families live apart. We saw his father, I wonder about his mother though

Why bother having the little bratty chick fall for him as well, not everyone has to love the lead in a story

She said she had been tainted but seeing as they checked her 'purity'(hymen) I guess it was restricted to touching and stuff

When her 'father' said she had fallen in love I think it meant family love on her part, though it didnt seem that it was the same for him

Pretty horrific to see how the system was created and how nessa and phyrne were created.
I dont agree with phyrnes words at the ending, the original wasnt happy and excepting how things were, she was just ignorant of what was happening

If it was mean I wouldnt aim to destroy the system but would rather try to give the people the choice to whether they wanted it or not. Like how religion now days should be done

Still not sure where peoples real bodies are or what exactly there avatars are. Something that can be either controlled or be put on auto pliot. Thats part of the system and therefore can also be manipulated by the system?

A comatose phyrne finally wakes up in clynes house a year later, her personality is more like that of the orginal which is mixture of both nessa and phyrnes personalities, though it seems more Nessas then anything( seems to have phyrnes memories though). Maybe he notices this and that is why he cries, that he has lost one of them. Merging like this always bothers me as well, I would prefer the two people (as I would consider them different people, same goes for clones) myself but this is probably the best I have seen personality of one(true personality), memories of the other? but maybe its just wishful thinking

I would have liked to see some graves of the fallen
Aug 17, 2012 1:25 PM
Dec 2010
This needed more episodes to make and redo some of forced situations in last episodes except that, it was very good anime about augmented reality and concept of ideal world.
Sent with Mal Updater
greenmartyAug 17, 2012 1:31 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Aug 29, 2012 4:44 AM

Jan 2012
Love the ending, is amazing to see the Phryne and Nessa together as one person.........
Nov 4, 2012 2:13 PM
Nov 2012
Personally, I loved the ending. It was a little confusing, but it was so sweet. Such a short series, though. It needed some more stricture and events.
Mar 10, 2013 7:29 AM

Sep 2011
Loved the ending, but the show was pretty meh overall.

6.5/10, so overall 7/10 for the sake of rounding up.
Jul 16, 2013 3:12 PM

Jun 2012
Sweet ending, I never did understand whether Phryne got raped or not. That creepy dude said he "matured" her but a few episodes ago he was going to check if she was still a virgin or not. Confused right there.

The action in the series was a bright spot, but the Clain was a massive faggot. It also didnt help when they chose a female voice actor for him. The first episode seemed very promising but it went waaay downhill as it progressed. The stupidity of the cast really annoyed me too.

This is another anime that had great potential but was squandered by an untalented director.
I might check out the manga to see how the endings might differ.

6/10
Aug 27, 2013 12:18 PM
Feb 2013
I think that the biggest question left unanswered is why did they need a 10/16 yr old girl to be part of the system at all. That they need a key is a terrible answer cuz they could've just used a password then. I think that the answer is only given in parts and never fully put together. The whole world of fractale isn't just an AR environment with rly awesome social benefits because that wouldn't require crazy satellites or a 10/16 yr old girl. There was even a programmer who developed his own mini AR/robot knight thing separate from the system. At its heart it tries to be a wish granting system. However, it clearly can't grant all of humanities needs such as family directly so it does that through brainwashing as seen in the prayer episode. I think the purpose of phrynae is to serve as that joy that needs to be broadcast to everyone. In the first episode we're introduced to the data drugs which do the same thing but they're simpler. A pure narcotic joy would be terrible. Instead they wanted to beam an abnormal satisfaction with life into everyone so that an AR world can take care of the rest. And, they found this source of abnormal satisfaction in the regressed mind of an abused girl who loves the world despite all its flaws. This also leads me to believe that the entropy they're talking about is the slow decay of the original's body and mind (they showed her frozen in the system) over time which required that they upload a new original copy.

Anyway what was most annoying about the series for me wasn't the plot holes but the LM people. They were HORRIBLE people. Even the granitz group which was presented as a happy go lucky completely disregarded the lives of people in the system. That is absolutely disgusting. Half the time I found myself cheering for the temple as the only evil person in the temple was the head scientist guy who was clearly twisted. The series reminded me of last exile but instead of a likable revolutionary group who truly regret the hard choices they have to make against an actually evil organization who abandoned the world for self interest, we are given a group of idiots who charge in with machine guns indiscriminately killing people for their own twisted ideas of what the world should be like to force it on everyone else fighting against an organization which despite being flawed is largely pacifist (they allowed the rebellion for sooo long) and truly wants to protect and help the world.
Sep 10, 2013 8:34 PM

Jan 2013
The Phryne Nessa combination is cute.
Better ending than I thought was going to happen.
The story doesn't make much sense.
Loved the characters, animation and music though.

8/10
Sep 11, 2013 6:23 PM

May 2008
6/10

Felt like meh
Nov 20, 2013 5:55 PM

Apr 2013
I'm not sure what to think about the ending. And I certainly wouldn't want to be Clain. It's good to see Phryne have her joy back but Nessa was a whole personality in the show and it's weird to see her truly disappear. Is Clain now supposed to love Phryne and have a life with her and sort? Clain loved Phryne in a romantic way but I don't think he loved Nessa in that way. Now won't he be loving Nessa as well? It is an extremely weird situation to me and I seriously wouldn't know what to do if I were in that situation and I certainly wouldn't love her that way anymore no matter how much I love her. I repeat I get the combination thing but they were still two different characters and I think it should've stayed the same. Plus, "all three happily ever after" after message was innocent and beautiful, making two persons one is pretty clichéd. I just sort of like to/and try to believe that the two will somehow seperate again and they'll this time actually live "all three happily ever after" again.
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
Nov 23, 2013 3:19 PM

May 2008
If I can live a trouble free life like that I really don't mind being brainwash few times a week or a month.
Dec 6, 2013 1:24 PM

May 2012
Really touching and well for me a great ending! They sure managed to make it round off quite properly and it sure felt satisfying and heartwarming!

The whole series was quite interesting with a soft and cheerful atmosphere around it and had very interesting character and story development!

All by all one hell of a great anime story!
Jan 13, 2014 1:41 AM
Jan 2014
There were some plot holes. I have to agree, but nothing major really which effcted my view on this anime. I still enjoyed it.
Aug 11, 2014 2:31 PM
May 2010
I really liked this anime, I think for everyone who demands solid answers and "loose ends tied up" should go look elsewhere for another anime. Not all anime is going to serve you clear-cut answers so explicitly and I would dare say, this anime actually makes you think about some of the unanswered questions and unexplained left open to interpretation. I mean, people respect the heck out of Neon Genesis Evangelion for all it's symbolisms and open to interpretation metaphors and yet when other anime try to go that route like this one it automatically gets negative feedback for people wanting things to be "dumbed" down and everything made crystal clear by it's conclusion. I actually respect anime and shows that make you think what was the meaning by the conclusion, and even if the world of Fractale has holes in it, it's still smart enough to challenge how we think.
Oct 3, 2014 1:28 AM
Nov 2010
I was waiting for the characters to at least stop acting so retardly. I am still waiting. Another beta male lead. Next plz
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jan 13, 2015 2:08 PM

Jul 2013
I really liked it although also would have liked it explained how Phryne was the key and created it but whatever, I suppose it not being explained makes it more magical and mystical.

It was quite a beautiful and sweet ending.

I'm kinda surprised Phryne and Nessa joined together to become the key.

Claine told Phryne that he loved her, that was sweet, awwww <3

Glad they killed that creep but sad they killed Sunda.

So Phryne did survive in the end, only now she is Nessa. And now living with Claine, how cute :3

I really liked this show, it was interesting and different.
Sep 28, 2015 7:58 AM

Nov 2013
The first few episodes were great but half way through this series just went downhill with its plot holes and not well executed script. Also this series' idea of comedy was pretty bad.

I did still enjoy it mostly because the art style and scenery, but I wanted something more from it. Now it just left an empty feeling inside of me.

6/10
Sep 28, 2015 8:06 AM

Apr 2014
I was so confused about so many things throughout this show that it was a bit hard to enjoy it.
Oct 11, 2015 9:52 AM

Oct 2014
alwaysbored said:
Great start .... shitty ending...
Am I asking for too much if I want everything to make sense ????
6/10

such a disappointment
Oct 15, 2015 8:36 PM

Jul 2010
It started out pretty great but then it quickly got worse each episode and the ending was awful...
May 30, 2016 11:53 AM

May 2015
I really liked the ending, maybe because I love shows that doesn't answer all the questions and let me think about what happened.
So I have a theory about that "God" . I think she is just a normal girl who filmed herself in the past and people started to worship her for a stupid reason.

A fractal simply put means a miniature copy of the entire. So I assume they wanted to reborn that "perfect God" from the past thinking they could achieve utopia in this way and created all those Nessas.

So at the end we see a fusion between Nessa and Prime and girl is reborn, but she isn't a God, like I said.

I may be wrong. These are just my thoughts.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fractale Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jan 20, 2011

137 by ka7eMARU »»
Feb 6, 2023 7:29 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DL21 - Feb 24, 2011

94 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Angy- - Feb 17, 2011

78 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 7:53 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

confusedmuse - Mar 17, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 6:39 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 2:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.