Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2016 4:16 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mimi's form in this finale kinda creeps me out.

The final battle was pretty thrilling and I got my dose of entertainment from it. Papika and Cocona still had some sweet moments even during this finale. The way that Cocona views Papika has really improved since their first encounter. Pretty entertaining show overall imo. This was dark horse of the season for me.

The Pure Illusion style song this episode was also quite catchy!
Stark700Dec 29, 2016 4:24 AM
Dec 29, 2016 5:33 AM

Aug 2010
I liked Mimi transforming, Nyunyu actually doing something even though it ended up pretty inconsequential and Salt shooting his dark PI self, but that's pretty much it. They went for a safe generic happy ending and left a lot of cool stuff out (the twins never got to henshin, Sayuri didn't hook up with Salt, Nyunyu never was actually important to the plot, Iroha never got to return).

The show was the best stuff anime-wise I've seen in years as far as episode 1-9 are concerned, but I didn't enjoy the plot episodes besides some awesome fights and transformations, but that was never the main appeal of Flip Flappers for me. 8/10 as a whole.
Dec 29, 2016 6:56 AM

Mar 2015
Episode was too spooky for me :/ Reptilians confirmed.

But good close to the series and at least we know why Papika was the same age as Cocona.
Dec 29, 2016 7:20 AM

Nov 2013
I was right to rewatch this show right from begining to catch what both director and writer want to tell you.

Seriously, folks. Go rewatch everything straight from the first episode.
I am pretty much satisfied with this show.
Damn, congrats for your debut as a director, Oshiyama!

Solid 8/10, and would add .5 if you aren't satisfied enough that you want to redraw everything.
Dec 29, 2016 7:29 AM

May 2015
This episode didn't fix any of the main problems the series has, but it deserves credit for tying up Papika's age issue.

The series as a whole has failed to tell me a story or message that's worth any substance. I don't like any of the characters except for Dr. Salt, the show looks great but having decent amounts of sakuga can only carry you so far. Sure, it's original and stylish but it also ended up being boring and an overall waste of time watching.

4/10.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 29, 2016 7:31 AM

Aug 2015
Happy ending happy me. For a moment I thought they will stick to "Everything was a dream" ending. Very entertaining series from start to finish props to Studio 3hz visual storytelling done right.

It didn't end with a kiss though

10/10
Dec 29, 2016 7:55 AM

Apr 2014
this was truly an amazing series another AOTY even the final ep was satisfying though it sucks that it's over cause ima really gonna miss this series alot

anyway an amazing watch all the way through and tbh idk i dont even feel this even needs a season 2 or anything else cause imo it pretty much ended as perfect as it could so in the end im extremely happy how things ended

now to wait for the BD releases
"one step at a time"
Dec 29, 2016 7:58 AM

Nov 2014
The power of love conquers all!

Mimi's transformation scene was badass.

So, Dr. Salt is Cocona's father?

Flip Flappers is Alice in Wonderland if it had been adapted into an anime by David Lynch. There was never a dull moment. I loved it.

Episode: 5/5
Overall: 8/10
Dec 29, 2016 8:01 AM

Jan 2012
And so Cocona and Papika escape Pure Illusion together and...the end! XD Well I guess it's an ending anyway...sure. XD I can say Salt IS Cocona's dad now. Mimi was a much better mom than Ragyo...which I only bring up because visually this reminded me a lot of Kill la Kill. One word to describe this show? Random. Very. I recently learned the lead writer left midway through so maybe that's a factor. The show had some nice female leads, at times vivid colors and fluid animation. But it certainly was very random and confusing, even when it decided to focus on a single plot these last few episodes. Well I had fun anyway. Nothing great, but solid 7/10 material I'd say.
Dec 29, 2016 8:03 AM

Jan 2015
That's right Cocona, you shouldn't make your parent angry. Or you'll face the consequences. Especially to make Mimi angry, which makes her become that Kuroyukihime-likepowerful.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Dec 29, 2016 8:30 AM

Feb 2013
Awesome episode. 10/10 for me and one of my favorite animes in life. I'm gonna to miss this.
Dec 29, 2016 8:34 AM

May 2012
8/10

Probably one of the most memorable anime I've seen over the past few years. It was definitely a bit unique.

I'm a sucker for happy endings too, so it's nice to see that everyone made it through. But... I'm still here wondering what/who is Buu-chan though?

Dec 29, 2016 8:36 AM

Sep 2015
And that's over... I'll miss this show tbh ! When I picked it up I never thought I'd enjoy it that much

I really liked the episode and how they handled the characters, great chemistry especially between Cocona and Papika.
Oh and Mimi was sooo scary during the battle, her transformation was nice too I didn't expect that.

Overall it's an 8/10 for me, and definitely AOTS !
Dec 29, 2016 8:39 AM

Mar 2014
I don't know why all the last episodes of this winter season drops the quality art >:/ THIS MUST BE THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND!

Still it was very enjoyable the episode and the anime in general ^w^

Nexxkinn said:
I was right to rewatch this show right from begining to catch what both director and writer want to tell you.

Solid 8/10, and would add .5 if you aren't satisfied enough that you want to redraw everything.

so true, after watching this epsiode felt the classic "what am I gonna do in my life now?", so I went to rewatch the episode 1 and omg, everything had sense now and all the characters where there in the backgrounds (heck, even "evil" mimi last moments in the lake is right there drawn in the painting). After that I rewatch quickly episode 13 and now I'm happy with my life xD

Very awesome anime, I love everything specially the enidng <3 Definitely a 10/10 in my list
Dec 29, 2016 8:41 AM

Feb 2015
Not quite sure what happened but I love it, super tempted to give it a 10/10.
Definitely the best thing that aired this season.
Dec 29, 2016 8:41 AM

May 2014
Extra points if you got all the posters in Sayuri's room.

Sailor moon, Mad Max and.. Kill la Kill? The others were a tiny bit obscured but I'm some movie buff could recognise them.

Also Pure Moisture and LIE news
Dec 29, 2016 8:55 AM

Aug 2013
9/10 for me. I didn't have high hopes for this series before it started, but wow. It was awesome.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 29, 2016 8:55 AM

Sep 2015
Liked this anime a lot more than I thought! Pretty good for an original.
Dec 29, 2016 9:03 AM

Apr 2016
Such a "meh" ending.
Dec 29, 2016 9:05 AM

Dec 2015
Well...there was certainly a lot of visually interesting stuff in this show, plenty of imaginative settings and some pretty impressive animation. But unfortunately I felt just about every other area of it was either generic or below average. Not to mention there was way too much loli bait and shouting "Papika!" & "Cocona!" for my tastes.

Overall for Flip Flappers - 5/10

Not bad but not particularly good either.
Dec 29, 2016 9:07 AM
Nov 2016
Can someone explain to me what happened exactly?
Dec 29, 2016 9:08 AM

Mar 2014
yall thought the ending would be grimdark but NOPE IT WAS FLIP FLAPPED ON ITS HEAD

perfect. beautiful. 9/10 not enough Yayaka and the twins
Dec 29, 2016 9:11 AM

Feb 2014
Not sure what to think of this ending, but it certainly felt underwhelming. For now, this gets a 7/10 from me. Might raise it after a rewatch, which is something a show like this definitely needs.
Dec 29, 2016 9:18 AM

Feb 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
Well...there was certainly a lot of visually interesting stuff in this show, plenty of imaginative settings and some pretty impressive animation. But unfortunately I felt just about every other area of it was either generic or below average. Not to mention there was way too much loli bait and shouting "Papika!" & "Cocona!" for my tastes.

Overall for Flip Flappers - 5/10

Not bad but not particularly good either.

So, it's a 6 not 5 in the end. XD
Dec 29, 2016 9:19 AM
Nov 2016
Joycdonnell said:
I don't know why all the last episodes of this winter season drops the quality art >:/ THIS MUST BE THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND!

Still it was very enjoyable the episode and the anime in general ^w^

Nexxkinn said:

so true, after watching this epsiode felt the classic "what am I gonna do in my life now?", so I went to rewatch the episode 1 and omg, everything had sense now and all the characters where there in the backgrounds (heck, even "evil" mimi last moments in the lake is right there drawn in the painting). After that I rewatch quickly episode 13 and now I'm happy with my life xD

Very awesome anime, I love everything specially the enidng <3 Definitely a 10/10 in my list

There seems to be subtle symbolism and themes with Flip Flappers that I've missed. Watching it weekly was a bad idea. Definitely gonna rewatch it at some point, but I'd love it if someone could explain to me what the theme of different sides to one-self has to do with the overall story.
Dec 29, 2016 9:34 AM

Jun 2016
I thought it was a 8/10, a few plot holes. I don't think they are aiming for a second season though.
Dec 29, 2016 9:37 AM

Mar 2011
I'm glad I decided to watch this show, I enjoyed it way more than what I thought.
Great overall, gets 9/10 from me, my only issue was it felt like 13 episodes were too low, this series could have been wonderful with more episodes, and also the drop in the art.
Evil Mimi's Flip Flapping was amazing, loved her design!
Dec 29, 2016 10:03 AM

Jan 2010
I felt this episode was kind of messy. I think this episode did the same thing of packing too much stuff into one episode the same way it did in the past few episodes. I was confused by what was going on because it seems there are still unanswered questions that either I just missed in the show or its an ongoing problem with the show itself. (hopefully rewatching will make this become more clear to me)

For instance, Dr.salt. We never got much information about him since the beginning and we still don't know much about him as a character until Mimi shows up and that information given was still very little. And now he shoots his younger self? What mistakes has he made other than not choosing to run away from the lab with Mimi?

I also think that mimi's resolve was a little sudden. But I think that's also the time constraint impeded there too. Overall, I was entertained by the fights and there were some sweet moments rekindled between cocona and paprika but I feel like the episode was rushed and there could have been frames cut and replace with something that could have made the story more clear.

On a side note, I thought Mimi's role as the bad guy was cliche. But now thinking about it, Cocona's real fight was finding her place in the world, becoming independent, and making choices on her own. By defeating her mother or fighting to gain closure with her mother, she has made a decision for herself (as a sign of independence). And knowing who she is and where she wants to be (being beside Papika).
cottonpieDec 29, 2016 11:24 AM
Dec 29, 2016 10:09 AM

Feb 2015
Good anime, it started very weak like showing too much action and explaining nothing but it developed well creating entire episodes to explain the past. The animation that Studio 3HZ brought to us is amazing, completely satisfied, and the ost is good too. The story got stronger in the second half and we all knew that Papika and Cocona would win. What took me off guard was that Cocona was still in Pure Illusion. Glad to see this anime. Not perfect but very very very very entertaining.
Dec 29, 2016 10:29 AM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
So what was even the point of Nyunyu's character? At most, she pissed Yayaka off for existing, but other than that.... not much was done with her. I can't place why this episode was so disappointing for me. They beat the bad guy and get their happy ending, but it feels like it was missing something :/ I've loved this anime up until this point and it sucks that I can't figure out why this episode kind of made me like the anime less as a whole.

Dec 29, 2016 10:32 AM

Dec 2015
LilacChild said:
So what was even the point of Nyunyu's character? At most, she pissed Yayaka off for existing, but other than that.... not much was done with her. I can't place why this episode was so disappointing for me. They beat the bad guy and get their happy ending, but it feels like it was missing something :/ I've loved this anime up until this point and it sucks that I can't figure out why this episode kind of made me like the anime less as a whole.

I think it might be time to just buck up and accept that this wasn't a particularly well written show. It was all kinds of jumbled and incoherent.
And all the rewatches in the world won't make it make more sense.
Dec 29, 2016 11:00 AM

Jun 2016
not aots material like I thought it would be, but I loved watching it every week. 8/10 could go higher if I understood that ending though.
Dec 29, 2016 11:29 AM

Jan 2010
Bobby2Hands said:
LilacChild said:

I think it might be time to just buck up and accept that this wasn't a particularly well written show. It was all kinds of jumbled and incoherent.

Exactly this. I think that's one of the problems with the show.
You can tell they rely on the animations than utilize their characters to drive the story. Nyunyu was pointless and the show wouldn't be different without her. She was used as a way to remove Yayaka but Toto and Yuyu could have called the shots without Nyunyu tbh.
Dec 29, 2016 11:53 AM

Jan 2015
Definitely AOTS and one of the best anime I've ever watched
Dec 29, 2016 11:53 AM

Oct 2011
underwhelming last eps as i feared but still a fun ride gonna miss this show

8/10

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Dec 29, 2016 12:07 PM

Feb 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
LilacChild said:

Yes, it is well written, sorry.
Dec 29, 2016 12:16 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was an undelwhelming finale, i felt that this was pretty lazily written.

7/10 at the end, pretty unfortunate, but it's still a good show. Them trying to wrap the story just was not as exciting as the ''episodic'' stuff in the first half.
Dec 29, 2016 12:17 PM

Dec 2014
A pretty damn cool fight scene, and an unexpectedly twist ending (with the "real world" Cocona ended up waking up in turning out to just be Pure Illusion again (since she broke out of the bubble, and Papika's line stating that they were separated in the same world gave it away (to me at least)). Man, this show is actually full of surprises.

And thus my favorite anime this season comes to a close, and what a ride it was. From the thrilling first half to the rather touching second, spliced in with great character growth and world building. I'll miss this show and its wonderfully trippy atmosphere.
Dec 29, 2016 12:30 PM

Jan 2009
damn the animation quality of this final episode is bad

but great ending for a great anime
Dec 29, 2016 12:35 PM

Jun 2013
Well Mimi was super creepy here. The mother really lost it over there. And then she was calling Papika selfish. Liked all that sakuga. Salt entered Pure Illusion to confront Mimi head on. And because of that, the real not crazy Mimi shows up. But she only came to tell Salt to believe in Papika and Cocona. Lol when Cocona was lifting her skirt to see if she still has the scar because of the amorphous and Papika was looking on in anticipation.

Overall this was quite the ride. Loved all that sakuga. This was pretty consistent when it came to its visuals. Didn't notice any quality drops. Liked its weird storytelling method. The episodes started off as confusing but then started to make sense slowly. The episodes were pretty good individually, but I don't think they connected that well in the end. The ending kinda felt slightly faster than it should have been I think. They didn't give any solid answer to what Pure Illusion is, but it can be inferred to an extent based on what they showed, especially in these final episodes after Mimi is introduced.

Overall, this was the sakuga of the season. Loved all those weird confusing and brilliantly animated adventures.
Dec 29, 2016 1:02 PM

Jul 2007
So just as I guessed we got Cocona reaffirming her identity and seeing herself as herself(instead of a repeat of her own mother), which leads to the perception of her world changing revealing the actual real world, with the world of Cocona having been pure illusion too.

A lot of this show is about perception, as the reference to Jakob Von Uexküll hints at. Uexküll was german Biologist most famous for his works on how organisms perceive their surroundings. From the verys tart that felt like a huge hint that what we saw in the show was Cocona's perception of reality and the way she perceived her issues and problems in life and the way her brain processed that. Likewise that is also hinted via Iro's plot and the way Iro's perception of her world would shift depending on her moods and how she felt.

I guess if we are to view the events we saw in pure illusion via perception of Real World that was revealed in the end for us, I guess this is how the story went if we separate Cocona's perception of the events:

Cocona's mother and father most likely divorced due Cocona's mother pursuing another woman. That was the calamity, the tragedy that colorfully was portrayed in the show In Cocona's perception that essentially was represented via two versions of her mother due to her perception of her mother having split into two, essentially taking away her "ideal" mother she knew, while her father grew distant.

What's more, during this hard time, due to the process of adolescence and questioning your own sexuality, Cocona found herself attracted to another girl in school, which made her question whether she herself is just a repeat of her mother's path, walking the same path, becoming her mother. This conflict of identity, mixed in with trauma from her parents divorce was essentially represented through childish imagination of pure illusion world. What we saw through the show was Cocona's subconscious view of the world, as a try to reaffirm who she is, as she is growing up into adulthood, to find her own identity.

Thus what we effectively saw through the show was the embodiment of that inner conflict of Cocona, the stream of consciousness that represented the real world problems and psychological dilemmas in a colorful childhood vision of "pure illusion".

• We saw Cocona ponder whether she is someone now that her parents were swept from under her feet. What is her place in the world what she wants of it. And the more she felt rejected by the world the more chaotic and dangerous her perception of the world got(cyborgs, impostors and all)
  • We saw Cocona try to process whether she is allowed self expression or has self expression via how Papika challenged her restricted nature, with Papika Cocona and Yayaka essentially embodying the psychological concepts of Id, Ego and Super Ego and Cocona trying to attain emotional and intellectual balance in terms of how she perceives herself.
  • We saw Cocona question her desires, her sexuality and how it defines who she is or who she could be.
  • We saw Cocona wonder about the nature of her feelings towards Papika and whether they are okay. What makes Papika into Papika, would her interest be different if Papika was different, etc.
  • We saw Cocona wonder how what happened to her family affected her. Whether by getting closer to Papika she is becoming the copy of her mother or whether she is walking her own path. Is she bound by what happened to her parents, is she repeating her mothers mistakes, is she becoming her mother? Or is she walking her own path that her parents approve of in spite of their own mistakes that she is not guilty or responsible for.

We saw her try to process , in a childish idealized way, of what happened to her family and what it means for her now that she is growing up and entering adolescence. After all divorce during puberty can hit hard in terms of how our identity forms. In this case we have been seeing how Cocona is processing everything that has happened around her and inside her in such a time.

We saw her try to process , in a childish idealized way, of what happened to her family and what it means for her now that she is growing up and entering adolescence. After all divorce during puberty can hit hard in terms of how our identity forms. In this case we have been seeing how Cocona is processing everything that has happened around her and inside her in such a time.

In fact if you look back at the show it all lines up in order - we start with Cocona's identity, Cocona trying to proccess the idea of her birth and how desires affect people(episode 2) and it slowly goes back to the issue of her family and comes back to her identity.

In fact if you look back at the show it all lines up in order - we start with Cocona's identity, Cocona trying to process the idea of her birth and how desires affect people(episode 2) and it slowly goes back to the issue of her family and comes back to her identity.

Now with this episode, having resolved her identity crisis and established herself as a separate identity from her mother(and whatever happened to their family in the past) Cocona essentially "grew up", entering back into reality and is free to pursue Papika romantically, even though show annoying yet again tries to be too ambiguous there. Of course veering back into childhood fantasies is not something restricted form Adults so there's nothing stopping Cocona from viewing the world in such a colorful fashion again, that's what dreams and imagination are after all. However Cocona is no longer bound by that world or by what happened to her parnets, she is free to be herself, she has liberated herself from her conflicts and identity crisis, achieving adulthood.

Its hard to get a read on this especially with the knowledge that original writer quit after Episode 6, but at least parts of this episode seem to correspond with what was being built up.

Still great ride. Not perfect and some things feel off, but still great. Easily 8/10 for the whole show. Maybe even 9/10 not sure yet tbqh.
AhenshihaelDec 29, 2016 1:28 PM
Dec 29, 2016 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
My only wish for this series was that Cocona got a moment to talk with Mimi properly. Her only interaction with her mother was with alternate personality Mimi and then just a few seconds for a goodbye. Would also like to see how she and Salt interact after the fact.

But oh well, I really enjoyed this series. Still couldn't skip the credits music even till the very end.
Dec 29, 2016 2:15 PM

Sep 2009
Really nice ending, quite tightly packed but it didn't feel rushed.

This will be the first new addition to my favourites since 2010. I guess that makes it ANIME OF THE DECADE.

Rarely do you find shows that do everything right (within reason and episode constraints): The characters and their development, the story and the setting, animation and action, not to mention the music. Everything was consistently top notch.

I can't wait for the OST to come out. I'll definitely rewatch the whole thing at least once around new year.
IDexDec 29, 2016 2:19 PM
Dec 29, 2016 2:29 PM
Sep 2013
This final episode: 4.5/5

This series: 9/10

Screw "Yuri Yaoi on Ice". This deserves to be the anime of the season.

The actual yuri, the weird fantasy world, and the complex plot looks kinda amazing.
Dec 29, 2016 2:41 PM

Oct 2013
Like a few others, I also did not expect much from Flip Flappers when I added it to my "Plan to Watch" list last Summer. Boy was I surprised! 9/10 for me.

Some highlights of the fab finale was how the world looked like Salvador Dali-land in a few places - melting fragments floating through the ether.
Evil Mimi's transformation into the Iron Butterfly was excellent and her strange 4-eyed crocodile/serpent head was creepy as f. for such a colorful show. Mimi's tentacled monsters reminded me of the Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath

I'll also miss the great OP and ED songs. I'll have to download the full versions.
Dec 29, 2016 2:44 PM

Mar 2016
Fai said:
~snip~

You should adapt this into a review for the show if you haven't already, so people checking it out later on the main page can get a sense of how much interesting subtext it has.
Dec 29, 2016 3:41 PM

Dec 2016
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this anime.

Mimi seems to be cured, I loved Salt in this episode.

And lastly we had Cocona & Papika back together and just about everyone else was smiling.
Dec 29, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2008
This was my surprise of the season. I didn't even start watching it until just last week. Absolutely amazing. I loved all the genre changes in certain episodes.
Dec 29, 2016 4:42 PM

Nov 2008
Hmm I still have questions....

Where are Mimi and Salt now? Are they dead in the real world? :(

If so, where will Cocona live now?

Why was Uxekill a normal rabbit when Yayaka mentioned him? Was that also a Pure Illusion world?

What's up with cyborg Granny? If Cocona doesn't remember anything at all....did they erase her memory before she met Papika again in episode 01?

Dec 29, 2016 4:47 PM

Nov 2016
Glad they end the story with a happy ending, Yayaka's character was great. I think they made an open ending on this one, not a slightest chance of a sequel but it's a great series overall really enjoyable. Great animation, writing and music.

10/10
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Berhinger »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM

Poll: » How much sexual content is in this show?

PokeFan2112 - Dec 27, 2022

16 by Armosaurus »»
Apr 22, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.